Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 23231 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Arena Commander Delayed
54. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Delayed May 29, 2014, 12:39 Creston

jdreyer wrote on May 29, 2014, 12:38:
Without yet reading this thread, there's sure to be a bunch of "I told you it was a scam!" comments.

Actually, about 80% of it is about how awesome Elite:Dangerous looks.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation May 29, 2014, 12:38 Creston

'filmic look' means "We can't program for shit."

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse May 29, 2014, 12:32 Creston

Out of the 8 people in my department, three of them are actually black, and two of them are female. (However, in the rest of the entire 100 man IT dept, there are only a few other black people.)

Still, that means that my department is like 900% better than Google, so hah!

Also, congrats to LeVar and I hope their Kickstarter keeps going up and up and up.

Finally, I always thought Data was kinda pretty, for an android.

News Comments > SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition on GOG.com
1. Re: SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition on GOG.com May 29, 2014, 12:29 Creston

Hmmm... Does anyone know if that traffic mod works with the Gog version?  

News Comments > DICE Opens BF Hardline Preorders; Promises Continued BF4 Support
15. Re: DICE Opens BF Hardline Preorders; Promises Continued BF4 Support May 29, 2014, 12:26 Creston

Those DICE promises and a buck fifty will get you a cup of coffee.  

51. Re: Out of the Blue May 29, 2014, 12:25 Creston

Silent Bob wrote on May 29, 2014, 12:19:
The problem is that Kickstarter and crowd funding forces devs to promise very aggressive and unrealistic timelines to drum up interest. No one wants to fund a game that will be in development for four years.

Eh, I think there'd be less interest, but I'm sure a lot of people would still back if it was going to be a great game. I think it's more of a question of "should any game really take four years to develop?" Maybe if you're building an engine from scratch, but then you're talking so much money that you're probably outside of KS range anyway.

SC shot themselves in the foot though with their endless stretch goals and fundraising.

At the 'speed' (and I use that term loosely) CR and his crew are going, it's going to take them ten years to get all the promised features into the game.

47. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Delayed May 29, 2014, 12:16 Creston

SpectralMeat wrote on May 29, 2014, 08:34:
In other news Elite beta is out tomorrow, and my X-55 RHINO is being delivered today! It's going to be a good weekend!

Sweet, let us know how well the game works with it.

46. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Delayed May 29, 2014, 12:16 Creston

I have no investment in this game, but to me it makes sense that if you find a huge showstopper bug you're going to fix it. What's the point of releasing it and then having 50000 people all slam right into it and bitch at you for it?

That said, Chris Roberts is dreaming if he thinks he's releasing this game in 2015. They're now 6 months behind on the barest backbone of the game.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 29, 2014, 01:30 Creston

Beamer wrote on May 28, 2014, 16:38:
But "politician" is a very risky career. In order to win, you need to dedicate your life to it.

Risky, give me a break. And if you want to 'win' in any given career (as in, reach the highest echelons), you need to dedicate your life to it. Nobody who half-asses shit gets anywhere, unless they're already rich.

And if you then lose, what next?

Lose? How the fuck does a politician LOSE? They fuck up ENDLESSLY, and never lose their jobs because of it. Nixon may have been the only politician to actually ever get kicked out. They may eventually get voted out, if their position is open to being voted on, but even then they'll just move on to a different area of government, and they never, ever, EVER lose their fat pensions and benefits. Yeah, tough life.

Look at the politicians that made up the EU government at the start. It was nothing but all these useless assholes that were done in their own countries, usually for being utterly incompetent, and then got promoted to EU government. Holland alone placed half a dozen of those useless shitheels in the EU, several of whom are still there. (Jorritsma and Smit-Kroes, two of the most worthless excuses for leaders ever to disgrace this planet.) And as for dedicating their lives to it, Jorritsma was a home-ec teacher who became Minister of Traffic and Water in the space of like six years.

You just gave up your career to it. Most politicians lose, only those that make it to Congress can really turn it into a massive, endless career. And what percent get that far?

Yes, because it's not as if there are such things as State governments, or governors, or mayors, or city councils etc etc etc. You're right. The ONLY possible place to be able to make a permanent living at being a politician is in Congress. Rolleyes

(And if we take Europe into account as well, once you "lose" at your job in your own country, don't worry, the EU will GLADLY take you, and pay you half a million euros in salary, for which you never even have to bother showing up to Brussels. Just have your chauffeur go there, sign you in, and your paychecks will keep coming! WOOT!)

The already rich make up most political candidates.

Funny how I had already said that exact same thing.

Seriously, why are there no good politicians? Because the smart people who are capable of actually DOING something will go into the private sector, where they can have far more fulfilling jobs than to have lunch in Washington DC on the taxpayers' dime.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. Pirates enslaved by bitcoin miner May 29, 2014, 01:15 Creston

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions May 29, 2014, 01:11 Creston

You mean the Living World? It's a storyline that runs throughout the entire year, and they'll do like 6 or 8 or so fairly substantial updates with new content to tell that story.

Season 1 really was cool, if you ignore the ridiculousness that a single sylvari could do what an elder dragon couldn't, and that she had enough resources at her disposal that it would have bankrupted the entire world to produce them... But it had nice, meaty content, some excellent world battles (Steel Barbie / clockwork marionette being one of them) and the entire Lion's Arch invasion storyline was both well built and well told. It was an extremely enjoyable series of events that lasted for around a month, and I played them pretty much every night.

For season 2, we're apparently going to go up against one of the Elder Dragons that was awakened at the epilogue of season 1. It's currently being referred to as "Bubbles", for some reason.

News Comments > Watch Dogs Sets One-Day Sales Record
11. Re: Watch Dogs Sets One-Day Sales Record May 29, 2014, 01:07 Creston

jomisab wrote on May 28, 2014, 20:17:
Might have been better PR to announce how they are aggressively working to resolve launch issues.

They aren't. People will eventually stop trying to log in en masse, and then their paltry infrastructure will be able to handle the load.

News Comments > Free Battlefield 3 on Origin
15. Re: Free Battlefield 3 on Origin May 29, 2014, 01:02 Creston

noman wrote on May 29, 2014, 00:27:
Origin ... gives more options to manage your Origin purchased game.

No it doesn't. You can't make backups of Origin games. You can't port Origin games from one computer to another, except in some rare few cases where you then have to fuck around with the installer files and sometimes even kludge the registry.

With Steam, I download games at my work's 200Mbps pipe, make a backup, put them on a USB key, take them home, import them into Steam, and I'm playing. With Origin? Have fun re-downloading the game on every PC you want to play it on.

Its offline play is better.

In what way? I will admit that it took Valve around eight fucking years to finally fix offline mode, but it IS fixed now.

Its handling of simultaneous logins from multiple PCs (for playing different games) is better.

As far as I know, both clients simply log you out of currently logged-in systems when you log in to a new PC.

It's a far thinner client as well compared to Steam.

That's simply not true. I have two screenshots here of Steam vs Origin in the task manager. (trying to figure out where to upload them to without having to create a new account...) Steam at 30MB, Origin at 100MB. They later both dropped a little. Origin went to 96MB, and Steam went to 11MB.

Steam beats Origin only in terms of the quantity of excellent sales.

Yeah it's not as if Steam now offers streaming, or a big picture mode, or an integrated screenshots manager, or a trading card system, etc.

Look, there is nothing inherently WRONG with Origin. It works. It works FAR better than Uplay. But please stop pretending like it's somehow the king of the digital store world, because that's just nonsense. It's a typical EA undertaking: kinda half-assed.

All that said, offering free games is cool, and they deserve kudos for it.

News Comments > CRYENGINE Subscriptions on Steam
1. Re: CRYENGINE Subscriptions on Steam May 29, 2014, 00:49 Creston

Weren't they offering this for like 10 bucks?

News Comments > NVIDIA Responds to AMD Accusations
7. Re: NVIDIA Responds to AMD Accusations May 29, 2014, 00:48 Creston

But it's not a functional way to work with developers where you suggest things to them that hurt a significant portion of their user base. That's just not gonna fly with any competent developer.

"However, as soon as you flash some dollar bills, the PUBLISHER tells the competent developer to shut the fuck up and do whatever we want. So yeah, we pay them to rape the competitor's cards. And they do the same to us. What can we say, we're both just worthless assholes."

News Comments > Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Walkthrough Trailer
8. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Walkthrough Trailer May 28, 2014, 16:27 Creston

"We don't want the oxygen thing to be annoying, to just be a resource that needs to be managed."

*shows off gameplay where the oxygen is an annoying resource that needs to be managed by often standing on top of geysers and waiting for it to refill slooowly.*

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 28, 2014, 16:21 Creston

Cutter wrote on May 28, 2014, 14:06:
Because they're all lawyers? Like Neil DGT said, where are the scientists and engineers and doctors and all the other people that represent the rest of life?

They are successful in real life, and don't have to fall back on being a fucking politician.

Politicians are only made up of two types of people (besides the 'born with a silver spoon in their ass' crowd) : lawyers who can't win cases, and businessmen who can't make any money.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
18. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 28, 2014, 16:18 Creston

Verno wrote on May 28, 2014, 13:52:
Who needs a steering wheel? It's got a USB port and I've got my 360 gamepad

Oh god, real life GTA comin' up!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: Out of the Blue May 28, 2014, 13:29 Creston

Beamer wrote on May 28, 2014, 12:52:
It was on their "citizen reported" page, which I think doesn't have much editorial oversight.

And is almost definitely a bad idea.

So they allow anyone to just post random shit on the actual CNN website? That sounds like a great idea.

I guess CNN has never heard of 4chan.

News Comments > The Sims 4 Trailer
2. Re: The Sims 4 Trailer May 28, 2014, 12:33 Creston

jomisab wrote on May 28, 2014, 12:12:
I've never played a Sims game, but I have to admit that does look cool.

I never cared much for the game part of it, but the house building has always been incredibly entertaining.

23231 Comments. 1162 pages. Viewing page 41.
< Newer [ 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo