Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 25604 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ] Older >

News Comments > PC Assassin's Creed Rogue Next Month
11. Re: PC Assassin's Creed Rogue Next Month Feb 6, 2015, 00:59 Creston

Btw, for anyone interested, I got in touch with Uplay support regarding Uplay's inability to reinstall a game from a backed up copy.

Here is their official work-around for this issue, which seems to work:

Please follow the following instructions to replace the game data:
1. Open Uplay and download Far Cry 4 until its downloaded about 5 mb.
2. Pause download and minimize Uplay
3. Go to "C:/Program Files (x86)/Ubisoft/Ubisoft Game Launcher/data/420" and deleted the manifests folder and the .state file
4. Go to "C:/Program Files (x86)/Ubisoft/Ubisoft Game Launcher/games/Far Cry 4", and delete everything in the folder
5. Copy entire contents of the backed up Far Cry 4 game files to "C:/Program Files (x86)/Ubisoft/Ubisoft Game Launcher/games/Far Cry 4"
6. Run Uplay and Far Cry 4 should show "Play"

After doing this I recommend doing the following:
In order to verify the integrity of the game cache in Uplay, we recommend running the program as administrator.
1. Completely exit Uplay.
2. Right-click on the shortcut which you use to launch Uplay.
3. Select "Run as Administrator".
4. Launch Uplay again and continue to the section of this article titled "Verify integrity of game cache".

Verify integrity of game cache

1. Load Uplay.
2. From the Games section, click on the game in your games list.
3. Once on the game page, locate the "Play" button, and click the triangular arrow on the right side.
4. Select "Verify files" from the drop down that appears.
5. Uplay will verify the game's files. This process may take several minutes.
6. Once the process is completed, the Verifying game files Window will display a notification.

Important: One or more files may fail to verify. This is normal for most Uplay games. The files that fail to verify are local configuration files that should not be replaced as part of this process. You can safely ignore this message.

Alternatively, what I figured out myself, is that while you can't copy over a backed up folder into a newly installed Uplay (the downloader just keeps downloading as if there's nothing there), you CAN start the download, pause it, then copy a 99% finished download into it, and the download will realize that it's 99% done and just download the last 1%.

Both ways seem to work, so while it's not as easy as Steam or Origin (Origin now just lets you copy the completed install folder into a downloading one and will just automatically reinstall and be good to go), at least it's possible to not have to redownload 30GB of game data.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2015, 15:57 Creston

Blue wrote on Feb 5, 2015, 11:06:
Sorry, I'm all about the sniping.

I.... but... I don't even...

Cry

Well this was super ultimate baddassery mode, or whatever it was, so it was not trivial to say the least.

I think I only fought him on Ultimate Vault Hunter mode with my Krieg build, which is essentially immortal anyway, so that would probably explain that.

But I've definitely seen bosses become truly insane when faced with multiple people. The first time me and my buddy fought ehh... the big robot dude, who supposedly beat the original vault hunters, he was absolutely kicking our ass. So I was shitting bullets when I had to fight him solo, only to watch him die in like 20 seconds.

News Comments > Ship Ahoy - Cities XXL
13. Re: Ship Ahoy - Cities XXL Feb 5, 2015, 15:53 Creston

Quboid wrote on Feb 5, 2015, 14:19:
SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 5, 2015, 14:06:
ASeven wrote on Feb 5, 2015, 13:57:
From reviews, this is the same as the last CitiesXL, they didn't even fix the fact the game runs only on one core. Apparently this is a big avoid.
Good to know. Thanks

There's a Steam review that says it uses one core - but links to a screenshot showing several cores in use. It looks to me like it is multicore but that it's not particularly well optimised so the load isn't spread very well.

That's actually just normal when one core goes to 100%, the others blip up because of ancillary windows activities and he may have had other things running.

Whenever you see a single core just maxed out like that, it shows the engine is an unoptimized piece of shit.

Avoid this peeps. Let's hope Skylines will be much better.

News Comments > Game Reviews
14. Re: Game Reviews Feb 5, 2015, 10:37 Creston

Original Poster, ie, the guy who started the thread / has comment #1.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2015, 10:31 Creston

often hanging around the rooftops of Sanctuary like the proper Batman Zer0 I am

MELEE ZER0 OR DEATH!

I don't recall having many issues with Pete when I solo'd him, but it's possible he gets disproportionately tougher if you tackle him with a full team.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 5, 2015, 10:29 Creston

Rot in fucking jail, you miserable piece of shit.

News Comments > Ship Ahoy - Cities XXL
2. Re: Ship Ahoy - Cities XXL Feb 5, 2015, 10:25 Creston

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 5, 2015, 09:44:
Wonder if they've ever fixed the performance issues the previous games had. Ones the city gets big it runs like a dog.

Single thread engine for the win!

So yeah, I'm gonna guess not. It sure looks purdy tho.

News Comments > Mortal Kombat X Specs
3. Re: Mortal Kombat X Specs Feb 4, 2015, 18:52 Creston

Conan had Beast Mode and Gronk play this on Clueless Gamer, it looked pretty sharp. Gruesome finishing moves though, and they made Beast Mode almost walk out.

News Comments > Game Reviews
10. Re: Game Reviews Feb 4, 2015, 15:48 Creston

Verno wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 13:24:
descender wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 13:20:
Combat is mindless

/boggle. I can't fathom reviewers that obviously play on easy and then complain the game was too easy.

The author says he played on Nightmare with Friendly Fire on. He played a Knight-Enchanter though.

The specialization classes are basically all broken in how insanely powerful they are. People harped about the Knight-Enchanter endlessly on the Bioware forums, but all the KE is is mostly unkillable. It's not actually a very fun class to play, and it takes for freaking EVER to kill anything with it.

You compare that to a well-specced Reaver, or a Tempest, and stuff dies before it ever has the chance to do any damage. That's really way more OP than a KE.

DA:I's difficulty works well until you get to Skyhold, and then you can start getting Tier 3 schematics and the specializations and it just stops. I went into Emprise du Lion at level 13 and was fighting stuff 3-5 levels higher than me on Nightmare just to get some marginal challenge with my archer.

I still very much enjoyed the game though. I wish they'd release some SP DLC already. A big, well-thought-out high level zone with a great storyline and meaningful side content would be a godsend for this time.

News Comments > Underworld Ascendant Kickstarter
12. Re: Underworld Ascendant Kickstarter Feb 4, 2015, 14:13 Creston

Why, KS, did you stop using Amazon Payments...

News Comments > Valve on the Future of High Performance Graphics
5. Re: Valve on the Future of High Performance Graphics Feb 4, 2015, 10:09 Creston

Ah yes, this is exactly what we need, yet another graphics API to continuously keep fragmenting the market. Yay?

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
23. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 4, 2015, 10:06 Creston

Orogogus wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 04:52:
Did you read the article? The criteria for being on the whitelist are "advertisements must be transparent about being ads, must be appropriate to the site they’re being served on, and must not distort or disrupt the page content, among other criteria." Presumably if you saw an ad that was that obnoxious it would be removed from the whitelist.

Yes, I read the article. Even so, it's still quite possible, especially since the ABP guys are getting PAID by some companies to be on the whitelist, that they'll start allowing more irritating ads through, at which point it literally takes five seconds to turn that whitelist off.

Ergo, Latin, it's in the advertisers' own hands.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2015, 22:38 Creston

Capella wrote on Feb 3, 2015, 21:53:
nin wrote on Feb 3, 2015, 10:40:
Shineyguy wrote on Feb 3, 2015, 10:39:
Did Blue just Groundhog Day us?

Think we got a winner!

There is at least one every year it seems!

Oh and I would up getting not one but two lab puppies! A brother and sister that were headed to the pound. I love them too much already and I think we have already spoiled them as well. I still miss my Shooty Boy but this helps fill the emptiness.

Awwwww, LAB PUPPIES!!!!! They are ultra-adorable. Congrats, Capella. I got a brother and sister pair myself and it's awesome.

We need pics of your doggies! Linky so we can clicky, please.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
14. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 3, 2015, 22:33 Creston

Tom wrote on Feb 3, 2015, 21:14:
This seems to come up every 6 months or so and everyone conveniently overlooks how easy it is to opt out of the ABP whitelist. At least this article explains that ABP is trying to get ads to conform to some minimum standard of decency and strike a balance.

Yeah, I don't mind the idea behind it that much. Obviously ads are what keep most websites alive, and if everyone just blocks every ad, there'd be far, far fewer interesting websites to visit. (or every one of them would turn to subscription-based models.)

I allow the whitelist through, and so far I haven't had any issues with it. I don't mind a small unobtrusive ad sitting in a corner of a webpage. However, the first time I see an ad from that whitelist that is obnoxious, I turn the entire shit off and never deal with them again. In essence, it's in these whitelisted companies' own hands. Either advertise normally, without being irritating fucking cockbags, or don't advertise at all.

This doesn't seem that difficult to comprehend, but it IS marketing people on the other side of the equation, and they are some of the dumbest fucking dipshits on the planet, so who knows how long it'll last.

So far it's worked fine.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
17. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 3, 2015, 18:39 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Feb 3, 2015, 17:03:
Per Netflix:
Low (0.3 GB per hour)
Medium (SD: 0.7 GB per hour)
High (best video quality, up to 3 GB per hour for HD, 7 GB per hour for Ultra HD)
HD is 1080P and Ultra is 4K. They must be adding more compression to 4K than 1080P.

Oh, I was referring to download rather than streaming because I only half read the comment I was replying to (Sorry SM!)... (and admittedly I also spent 0 seconds looking it up, this was off the top of my head.) In any case, Netflix uses quite heavy compression.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2015, 15:56 Creston

*Looks around for Andie McDowell*  

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 3, 2015, 15:53 Creston

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 3, 2015, 11:56:
I wonder how big those 4k movies are going to be to stream.

30+ GB or so, I believe, for a 90 minute movie.

News Comments > Windows 10 Free with Raspberry Pi 2
26. Re: Windows 10 Free with Raspberry Pi 2 Feb 3, 2015, 13:29 Creston

Seems like a sweet deal to me. Kudos to MS for doing this.

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 3, 2015, 11:28 Creston

nin wrote on Feb 2, 2015, 17:24:
Steam claims GTA5 requires 65 gig...

o_O

News Comments > RENOIR Announced
1. Re: RENOIR Announced Feb 3, 2015, 10:52 Creston

First it was NOIR. Now, it is... RENOIR!

/shows self out.

25604 Comments. 1281 pages. Viewing page 40.
< Newer [ 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo