Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 25601 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

News Comments > The Witness Blows Through Braid Earnings
2. Re: The Witness Blows Through Braid Earnings Feb 9, 2015, 12:33 Creston

I probably would have, you know, maybe done 477 puzzles and tried not to run out of money. CRAY CRAY!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Original Early Access Game Pulled
1. Re: Original Early Access Game Pulled Feb 9, 2015, 12:29 Creston

Eh. You chose to sell your game before it was ready, don't expect me to feel much pity for you that you now have to struggle to actually release it.

All this "Look at all the hardship I'm going through to finish this game for you people!" handwringing is getting really boring. Just because you develop games doesn't somehow entitle you to make a living from it. If you can make a good game, hopefully enough people will buy it that you CAN live off of it, but you're not somehow automatically deserving of that.

The fact that there are people willing to give you money up front should be seen as a blessing to developers, not as a burden that they are then beholden to. Don't want that blessing/burden? Then make your game first, and sell it when it's fucking done. You know, like pretty much every other business does.

That said, fuck that jackass who walked out when the money ran out. I hope your miserable ass never works in the gaming industry again, asshole.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 9, 2015, 12:16 Creston

nin wrote on Feb 9, 2015, 09:32:
Pretty sure that would be the final straw for me (if it were forced)...

I don't think they'd ever do that. They already have ample evidence that people will happily sit on their old OS forever, so trying to force their entire client base onto a subscription-only version of Windows would literally be Windows' death blow. Few people would ever upgrade, instead just happily sticking with Windows 7 / 8 / 10 or whatever.

Instead, it'll be an option. Either buy a license, or get a subscription for a version that is upgraded and developed indefinitely. Enterprises especially would probably be pretty interested in getting a "definitive" version of Windows that just gets upgraded over the years, rather than having to plan a massive upgrade every 3-5 years, and all the costs associated with it.

I really don't think there's much reason to worry.

News Comments > Universal Combat CE Free on Steam
10. Re: Universal Combat CE Free on Steam Feb 9, 2015, 11:11 Creston

InBlack wrote on Feb 9, 2015, 09:43:
Oh come on guys, give credit where credit is due. Derek Smart released a game for free on Steam, he even took the time to upgrade some of the graphics. I say KUDOS.

Yeah, I got no problem with it. Releasing free games = cool, no matter if it's DS or EA or whomever that does it.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
10. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 9, 2015, 11:05 Creston

Now he can be a Famed God in prison. I'm sure much lulz will be had. Probably not by him, but his fellow inmates will enjoy him.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
34. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 9, 2015, 11:00 Creston

Dacron wrote on Feb 8, 2015, 21:02:
Maybe it's the rare (30 hours, seen 3, all part of missions so far) child zombies you kill by suffocating while reassuring it with "shhh shhh" noises.

If I were to hazard a guess.

That is actually pretty creepy...

News Comments > PC Assassin's Creed Rogue Next Month
23. Re: PC Assassin's Creed Rogue Next Month Feb 6, 2015, 22:57 Creston

CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 6, 2015, 13:33:
And did Black Flag even have a real world story? New Abstergo employee goes to work, plays around with the Kenway-Animus and snoops around some old and future plans of the company. End of story. Right?

Well, there was that big reveal that (spoiler) The Dread Pirate Roberts actually existed in both realities and that he was one of the first ones that I thought was pretty cool.

I think they killed off Desmond because so many people bitched about him, and I have to say I quite liked his story. I just wished it hadn't been so forced on you every time. Had the whole Desmond thing been something optional it would have been perfect.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
13. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 6, 2015, 22:52 Creston

nin wrote on Feb 6, 2015, 10:16:
Task wrote on Feb 6, 2015, 10:09:
Community public banks are good. Private banks on the other hand, not so much.

I love my credit union, but they don't have two factor.

Mine doesn't either, which is the sole reason I refuse to do online banking with them.

Good thing I don't either, as we've already had several notices from the C.U. that there's been "suspicious online activity" with regards to my account. Since I have no online banking set up, it always immediately gets nipped in the ass, but it gives me zero confidence to actually start using it.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 6, 2015, 22:48 Creston

Redmask wrote on Feb 6, 2015, 20:21:
Another Chance to Buy Xbox One with Kinect at $449.

Another chance to say no way.

About the only thing I see that I would heavily use with the Kinect would be its integrated Skype @ 1080p, since I use it to talk to my parents a lot. Other than that, yeah, not sure what the point of it is.

$349 is a reasonably attractive price point for it as a console, though. $50 less and I may pick one up.

News Comments > Dying Light Mod Tool Plans
4. Re: Dying Light Mod Tool Plans Feb 6, 2015, 22:45 Creston

Always good to see devs embracing mods. Kudos, Techland!

News Comments > etc.
16. Re: etc. Feb 6, 2015, 15:20 Creston

PropheT wrote on Feb 6, 2015, 14:08:
That's nice that Gabe helped the guy, but it's kind of ignoring the fact that if Steam's support wasn't so shitty in the first place he wouldn't have been contacted directly with the problem.

Exactly. Maybe if Gabe starts getting 15000 tweets a day from people pissed off at the shitty fucking support structure they have in place, he'll finally light a fire under those turds.

Even UBISOFT has better fucking support than Steam. I mean, that's just flat-out fucking pathetic.

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Feb 6, 2015, 11:17 Creston

EA Exec: "We need to dumb our games down more. Like, I want all console and PC games to have no more complexity than the shit we call mobile 'games'. So basically just one button that you can click once every 30 minutes, unless you pay us money and then we let you click it every 5 minutes!"

Fuck you, EA Exec. Fuck you right in your fucking bunghole.

News Comments > D.I.C.E. Award Winners
5. Re: D.I.C.E. Award Winners Feb 6, 2015, 10:52 Creston

Desalus wrote on Feb 6, 2015, 10:21:
Adventure Game of the Year: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
Outstanding Innovation in Gaming: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
Outstanding Achievement In Story: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
Outstanding Achievement In Character: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
Outstanding Technical Achievement: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
Outstanding Achievement In Animation: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
Outstanding Achievement In Gameplay Design: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
Outstanding Achievement In Game Direction: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

....and who gets the game of the year?

Game of the Year: Dragon Age: Inquisition

Huh Surprised ? How the hell do you award top honors for eight different categories to Shadow of Mordor and yet you don't award it Game of the Year?

EA gives more money.

I like how 4 players now counts as Massively Multiplayer.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Rogue Eye Tracking
8. Re: Assassin's Creed Rogue Eye Tracking Feb 6, 2015, 10:49 Creston

Verno wrote on Feb 6, 2015, 09:39:
How about you guys just focus on shipping the game in a decent state?

It's done by Ubisoft Kiev, so the odds of that are roughly negative 240%.

17. Re: PC Assassin's Creed Rogue Next Month Feb 6, 2015, 10:46 Creston

Ecthelion wrote on Feb 6, 2015, 09:08:
I don't know about the PC port, but I enjoyed Rogue on my PS3. Hopefully the port will be decent.

Anyway, Rogue slightly improves on the ship combat. Ships can now board you, but I haven't figured out the mechanics involved. From what I can tell, only Hunters can board you, and only if you actually let them ram you, so it can be somewhat avoided if you don't get too caught up in big battles. If you do get boarded, it's similar to boarding enemy ships in Black Flag, except that you can't use the "Captain's mini-cannon" to take down enough crew to capture the other ship without ever getting into hand combat.

The ship combat itself doesn't seem harder or easier. I had little trouble fighting superior ships with my Black Flag experience. That's not to say that it's easy to take on a man-o-war; that heavy shot still stings like hell.

The biggest change is actually in the "on foot" part, where assassins can now target you. It's an interesting addition to the game, but it isn't a huge change since it only happens occasionally.

The best part of the game is honestly the main character. I found Shay more believable than past protagonists, and this time around most of the targets you assassinate are assholes that deserved it (which is often not the case), with one HUGE exception that you'll probably have mixed feelings about. It was fun to play a Templar for a change, and the modern-day story was slightly less stupid than Black Flag's (which was already a big improvement over the AC1-3 Desmond conspiracy-theory bullshit that a 5th grader could have written). I definitely recommend it.

Thanks for the review.

Do you ever get to sail in anything else besides your own ship? It was a shame in BF that you only got out of the Jackdaw for one total mission.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
5. Re: Evening Safety Dance Feb 6, 2015, 01:10 Creston

Saboth wrote on Feb 5, 2015, 18:49:
As an Anthem customer, this one has me steamed. People are lumping this in with Target, Home Depot, etc., but those are peanuts in comparison. Sure, more users were compromised, but what did they get? Credit Card numbers? Big whoop, they cancel them almost instantly and you get a new card. This hack was supposedly addresses, socials, birth dates, medical numbers, contact information. Basically everything needed to steal accounts or open up new accounts. I'm sure they'll try and pawn off "one year of free credit monitoring" as some kind of remedy, but once that info is in the wild, it's circulating perpetually. I'm thinking lifetime credit protection.

Credit protection isn't gonna help, I'm afraid, man. If I was you, I'd go to talk to a lawyer tomorrow and start putting down the hammer on Anthem. At the very least you need a written guarantee from them that any costs arising from this theft at any point in the future is going to be on their heads, not yours.

(which still won't do shit for your credit rating...)

I have my medical information with as few places as humanly possible. I deliberately refuse to join an ancillary medical plan at my work that would save me ~$300 a year in my premiums just because I don't want to have to worry about yet another Mickey Mouse outfit having access to all that kind of data...

12. Re: PC Assassin's Creed Rogue Next Month Feb 6, 2015, 01:00 Creston

Cutter wrote on Feb 5, 2015, 19:52:
Are you interested in this? No? Didn't think so.

I am, actually. I'm not paying 60 bucks for it, but I'll definitely pick it up when it's 5 bucks, which is now my default Ubisoft price point.

The pirating part of Black Flag was awesome, if a little samey and waaaaay too easy. Hopefully Rogue addresses those two concerns, and I'm looking forward to some different environments rather than the green jungle islands that were all Black Flag had to offer.

Edit: Be warned, all who are interested -> The Assassinís Creed Rogue PC development team in Kiev

Ubisoft Kiev are the incompetent assclowns who have been butchering Ubi's last several PC ports, so definitely wait this one out until it's had at least four or five patches, which seems to be the bare minimum for them to make shit playable.

11. Re: PC Assassin's Creed Rogue Next Month Feb 6, 2015, 00:59 Creston

Btw, for anyone interested, I got in touch with Uplay support regarding Uplay's inability to reinstall a game from a backed up copy.

Here is their official work-around for this issue, which seems to work:

Please follow the following instructions to replace the game data:
1. Open Uplay and download Far Cry 4 until its downloaded about 5 mb.
2. Pause download and minimize Uplay
3. Go to "C:/Program Files (x86)/Ubisoft/Ubisoft Game Launcher/data/420" and deleted the manifests folder and the .state file
4. Go to "C:/Program Files (x86)/Ubisoft/Ubisoft Game Launcher/games/Far Cry 4", and delete everything in the folder
5. Copy entire contents of the backed up Far Cry 4 game files to "C:/Program Files (x86)/Ubisoft/Ubisoft Game Launcher/games/Far Cry 4"
6. Run Uplay and Far Cry 4 should show "Play"

After doing this I recommend doing the following:
In order to verify the integrity of the game cache in Uplay, we recommend running the program as administrator.
1. Completely exit Uplay.
2. Right-click on the shortcut which you use to launch Uplay.
3. Select "Run as Administrator".
4. Launch Uplay again and continue to the section of this article titled "Verify integrity of game cache".

Verify integrity of game cache

1. Load Uplay.
2. From the Games section, click on the game in your games list.
3. Once on the game page, locate the "Play" button, and click the triangular arrow on the right side.
4. Select "Verify files" from the drop down that appears.
5. Uplay will verify the game's files. This process may take several minutes.
6. Once the process is completed, the Verifying game files Window will display a notification.

Important: One or more files may fail to verify. This is normal for most Uplay games. The files that fail to verify are local configuration files that should not be replaced as part of this process. You can safely ignore this message.

Alternatively, what I figured out myself, is that while you can't copy over a backed up folder into a newly installed Uplay (the downloader just keeps downloading as if there's nothing there), you CAN start the download, pause it, then copy a 99% finished download into it, and the download will realize that it's 99% done and just download the last 1%.

Both ways seem to work, so while it's not as easy as Steam or Origin (Origin now just lets you copy the completed install folder into a downloading one and will just automatically reinstall and be good to go), at least it's possible to not have to redownload 30GB of game data.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2015, 15:57 Creston

Blue wrote on Feb 5, 2015, 11:06:
Sorry, I'm all about the sniping.

I.... but... I don't even...

Cry

Well this was super ultimate baddassery mode, or whatever it was, so it was not trivial to say the least.

I think I only fought him on Ultimate Vault Hunter mode with my Krieg build, which is essentially immortal anyway, so that would probably explain that.

But I've definitely seen bosses become truly insane when faced with multiple people. The first time me and my buddy fought ehh... the big robot dude, who supposedly beat the original vault hunters, he was absolutely kicking our ass. So I was shitting bullets when I had to fight him solo, only to watch him die in like 20 seconds.

News Comments > Ship Ahoy - Cities XXL
13. Re: Ship Ahoy - Cities XXL Feb 5, 2015, 15:53 Creston

Quboid wrote on Feb 5, 2015, 14:19:
SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 5, 2015, 14:06:
ASeven wrote on Feb 5, 2015, 13:57:
From reviews, this is the same as the last CitiesXL, they didn't even fix the fact the game runs only on one core. Apparently this is a big avoid.
Good to know. Thanks

There's a Steam review that says it uses one core - but links to a screenshot showing several cores in use. It looks to me like it is multicore but that it's not particularly well optimised so the load isn't spread very well.

That's actually just normal when one core goes to 100%, the others blip up because of ancillary windows activities and he may have had other things running.

Whenever you see a single core just maxed out like that, it shows the engine is an unoptimized piece of shit.

Avoid this peeps. Let's hope Skylines will be much better.

25601 Comments. 1281 pages. Viewing page 39.
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo