Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 26551 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen's $900 Ship
190. Re: Star Citizen's $900 Ship Oct 1, 2015, 20:51 Creston

Zor wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 15:45:
But you should also be fair and start doing similar posts about every other crowd funded project and kickstarter that has "eye popping" pledge choices.

Just look at the recent BattleTech KS. $2000? $4000? $10,000?

Coming from a studio that has delivered two complete games (Can't remember off the top of my head if they did a third kickstarter? For a card game or something?) that have been extremely well received, that were delivered on time and on budget, and where all the pledge rewards were promptly delivered.

So yeah, really great comparison to the reality show that is Star Citizen...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Interviews
38. Re: Morning Interviews Oct 1, 2015, 20:45 Creston

Pr()ZaC wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 16:30:
Meanwhile...on the CIG boards, CR = Jesus.

Well, once you're in for that much money, you really have to kind of keep hoping that it's all true, otherwise you're going to realize that you got taken for thousands and thousands of dollars.

(Note, I'm not making a statement on whether it's all a scam or not, but that's why I think the people who've spent so much money are so fervent in defending the whole thing.)

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
5. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 1, 2015, 20:40 Creston

Asmodai wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 18:40:
Agent.X7 wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 18:16:
Well, the last baseball game I went to I was playing my 3DS the whole time while drinking beer and eating pretzels. Baseball is boring.

I'm not sure how to say this delicately... Why the fuck do you bother going then??

I'm with the commentators, doesn't matter where you go these days, you encounter flocks of people too busy "interfacing" with their phones to notice what is going on around them. People poke fun at basement dwelling nerds who never disconnect, these people take their basement with them.

I gotta say though, why do you give a shit? The girls paid for their tickets, and from the looks of it bought quite a bit of grub too. That's money for the ballclub.

I guess it'd be better if only the die-hard fans showed up, all 1000 of them, and the stands were empty?

Also, since this video was clearly shot during a commercial break, this means the girls were taking selfies BETWEEN INNINGS. What the fuck else are you supposed to do, watch the short stop take grounders from the first baseman?

Young adult girls take selfies. News at 11.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
23. Re: Morning Interviews Oct 1, 2015, 15:29 Creston

Fion wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 14:02:
Yea.. that's a problem. 'Top level movie cast' tend to make terrible voice actors. It's an entirely different style of acting that requires an entirely different set of skills.

Want an example? Patrick Stewart as the king in Oblivion's introduction sequence. Great actor, not so hot voice actor. Sure he got the whole puissant, holier-than-thou king vibe down great, but he read his lines like a stage actor giving a monologue. That's of course because he is a stage actor more than anything else but the two forms of acting tend to be mutually exclusive.

I think you'll find that that's a flaw in direction, not a flaw in acting. It's not been until recently (2012 or so) that devs/publishers have recognized that they actually need to have a director present when VOs are being recorded, (Heck, need to have SOMEONE present, period, when VOs are being recorded,) and started doing so reliably.

I'm pretty sure that in the days of Oblivion, Patrick Stewart just arrived at a studio, given a sheet of lines to speak, no context, nothing, nobody from Bethesda was present to provide any kind of insight, and he's asked to just do the best he can. Furthermore, he had like 15 lines, so his entire recording session probably took 2 hours, tops.

News Comments > U.K. Digital Refund Law
10. Re: U.K. Digital Refund Law Oct 1, 2015, 15:14 Creston

ItBurn wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 12:38:
Well, some people claim the new system would be 30 days... That's enough time to complete many games.

30 Days is ridiculous. I think five hours of playtime (since pretty much all digital delivery platforms now measure your time played) and 72 hours from date of purchase should be plenty.

(I wonder if that causes an issue with offline mode, as that doesn't track time played AFAIK...)

9. Re: U.K. Digital Refund Law Oct 1, 2015, 15:12 Creston

NetHead wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 13:24:
Creston wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 12:22:
As for the complete game/get refund conundrum, that's very simple. Make sure your game can't be finished in under five hours.

I don't think something like that is a good or sensible thing to try. It would effect and limit the design of some games, those that fall short of time X would have to be redesigned with the most likely outcome being added "grind", un-skippable videos/cut-scenes, general time consuming "filler" etc.

Fair enough, but they already do that anyway to pad playtime, so I'm not sure a lot would change with that just due to refund policies.

Some games are short and well worth their asking price

That's fine, but then you have to live with the fact that some people will buy your game, finish it, and then get a refund. (and again, contrary to what every publisher bleats, the people who would abuse this system would not be so numerous that it would bring woe and destruction to the world.)

It's also not hard to imagine people holding out on a game hoping for a patch/mod/solution to their problem for far more than "hours" of play until finally giving up out of frustration or rage due to no patch or solution.

But that situation is not invalidated if the limit is based on X hours of playtime.

Should someone who has spent more than "time X" trying to fix it no longer be eligible for a refund because they tried really thoroughly to fix or put up with something.

I think in five hours any gamer (the ones savvy enough to be able to try to fix his/her own game anyway) would be able to determine whether it's a lost cause or not.

Any king of useful and working refund system or policy would require more than a one liner.

I don't agree, because then you just go back to the arbitrary crap that Steam already sort of had in place before. If you get support guy A on the phone you get nothing, while getting guy B means you get your money back.

And such a subjective system allows publishers to just continue with the crap they've been pulling. An ironclad "If you've played fewer than five hours, you can get your money back," guarantee practically FORCES them to stop shipping stuff blatantly broken (aka, AC Unity, aka Arkham Knight, aka X Rebirth etc etc ad infinitum), or from trying to foist preorders off onto people while delivering a giant turd in the box.

Also what of a forced update that breaks a game, or anything that later renders the game a lesser product, an unworkable product or something the consumer is justifiably not satisfied with.

That's a different scenario. If a patch breaks something, you would expect a publisher to fix it, and typically they do.

We cannot create a refund rule that covers all situations, nor should we try to. A general refund rule can at least help with the "Just ship it" mentality we've been getting stuffed with for the last few years.

If we allowed a refund for a patch that comes out two months down the road that breaks something fundamental, then no publisher will ever patch a game after day 1.

For example when a game has some or all of its soundtrack removed for whatever reason, it is no longer what was purchased or advertised, shouldn't that entitle people to a refund as it's no longer what they originally purchased.

I think the GTA thing was a giant pile of retardery, but it's kind of hard to imagine that the three or four songs that were removed invalidate the entire SA:San Andreas experience. I'd seriously like to meet the one gamer that bought a 60 dollar game because it had a Dr Dre song on the radio.

Why should there be a different attitude from what's acceptable for physical products, imagine purchasing a physical product which later had features or properties that you liked removed/disabled.

Which physical product has ever had features removed? I think software is kind of unique in that aspect. And again, it's not that massive an occurrence. Offhand I can only think of GTA:SA and the PS3 that did something like this. I can't remember what became of the PS3 thing? Didn't people sue them for that?

Software gets far more leeway than it deserves.

Oh, I agree, but I don't think that arbitrary judgments are what's going to make things better. Hard rules in favor of the customer will. A return policy, no questions asked, within X hours of starting the game, is perfectly fine. (and 5 hours is not that much, seeing as how EA gives you 24.)

News Comments > Into the Black
7. Re: Into the Black Oct 1, 2015, 13:01 Creston

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

When the one kitty that had been underground goes back in the hole a second time, I can just hear him going "Cover me, Johnny! I'm going back in!"

Then when he gets pounced on the butt, "Dammit, Johnny, I said COVER ME!"

5. Re: U.K. Digital Refund Law Oct 1, 2015, 12:22 Creston

ItBurn wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 10:28:
Yeah, but how can we know what's a broken game and what isn't? And how can we make sure people don't abuse the system by just buying and getting refunds after completing the game, in a loop?

It's a subjective decision, for sure, but an ironclad return policy helps deal with that. If a game generally works well for most people but for some unfortunate few it doesn't, they can get refunds.

As for the complete game/get refund conundrum, that's very simple. Make sure your game can't be finished in under five hours.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Early Play Bonus Scrapped
8. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Early Play Bonus Scrapped Oct 1, 2015, 11:09 Creston

Desalus wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 10:18:
Creston wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 10:10:
Desalus wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 10:06:
Glad they got rid of that mess. Too bad they didn't take it one step further and give out all the preorder incentives to anyone who buys the game like CD Projekt RED. I'm never preordering another game regardless of how much extra content they try to entice us with.

Isn't that what they mean with the Day 1 edition? If you buy it on release day you get all the bonus content?

By "anyone who buys the game" I meant anyone who buys the game on day 2+ of release. The one whole day they give is not very much time considering it usually takes a few days for enough reviews and gamer feedback to be posted to make an informed decision about buying.

Yeah, that's true, but since day 0 sales are so important to their 'metrics', they're trying to hold out a carrot for people to buy on day one. It also helps convince people to pay full price rather than just wait on the inevitable 10 dollar sale on Steam.

They got rid of their retarded pre-order scheme, so I consider this a reasonably good alternative. Most of the bonus stuff is pretty lame anyway, though I always want the extra missions.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Charisma Video
4. Re: Fallout 4 Charisma Video Oct 1, 2015, 10:19 Creston

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 00:00:
Not to mention the CHR 10 perks that let you basically mind-control people by the time you're level 50. Other perks at lower CHR levels let you do that for animals or monsters, starting with pacifying them and eventually issuing them commands.

Right, but you have to have CHR 10, AND put ten perks into it, to get an ability that lets you MC people at level 50.

How is that going to be better than putting 10 points in strength and just chopping them to crap, or 10 in agility and having 900000000000000 AP, or 10 in perception and sniping things from 17 miles away.

It was a little unfair to single out Bethesda for this, actually, as most RPGs have always failed at making Charisma remotely interesting to take.

2. Re: U.K. Digital Refund Law Oct 1, 2015, 10:11 Creston

Good. It's about time we start doing something about these crappy publishers that sell games that are plain broken.  

5. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Early Play Bonus Scrapped Oct 1, 2015, 10:10 Creston

Desalus wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 10:06:
Glad they got rid of that mess. Too bad they didn't take it one step further and give out all the preorder incentives to anyone who buys the game like CD Projekt RED. I'm never preordering another game regardless of how much extra content they try to entice us with.

Isn't that what they mean with the Day 1 edition? If you buy it on release day you get all the bonus content?

4. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Early Play Bonus Scrapped Oct 1, 2015, 10:09 Creston

we decided to close down the program and make all of the incentive content available to anyone who pre-orders [the game] or purchases a Day 1 Edition.

Whoa. SENSE? From a publisher???

THE END TIMES ARE COMING! SAVE YOURSELVES!!!!

News Comments > Quote of the Day
9. Re: Quote of the Day Sep 30, 2015, 23:00 Creston

I desperately fucking pray for see a complimentary business where we charge you a markup just to hand you a Steam/Xbox Live/PSN game code sell discs plus download like the current console mode. Virtual reality games will really be the death knell for our business also likely follow this model. Oh please dear God, let them follow this model."  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 30, 2015, 22:59 Creston

Retired wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 18:24:
eh, First World problems. Can't he just teather his phone to his network for faster speeds?

That's assuming he gets 4G speeds out there, and even then, he's looking at a 5GB cap, so that won't do shit for him either.

What I don't understand is why he doesn't just combine his two ISDN lines. Otoh, he's a web designer so probably doesn't know how to do that.

135. Re: Star Citizen's $900 Ship Sep 30, 2015, 22:56 Creston

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 21:16:
What would that make the people who bought the $2,500 ships?

Crazy rich or very, very poor with money.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Charisma Video
2. Re: Fallout 4 Charisma Video Sep 30, 2015, 22:48 Creston

Charisma has always been completely, 100% useless in Bethesda games, so simply put one point in this, as always, and you'll be just fine.  

News Comments > NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming
9. Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming Sep 30, 2015, 22:46 Creston

"This has failed every single time it's tried to launch before, but dammit, let's just keep trying until people finally swallow this ridiculous crap awesome product!"  

85. Re: Star Citizen's $900 Ship Sep 30, 2015, 14:25 Creston

NegaDeath wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 14:02:
If karma is real somewhere a Disney exec is having the idea "Hey that X-Wing/TIE series was pretty popular, let's see if Lawrence Holland is available".

Don't tease us.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
9. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 30, 2015, 10:59 Creston

Amazon better not let some local redneck in his PoS Silverado deliver MY packages...

26551 Comments. 1328 pages. Viewing page 35.
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo