Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 24246 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 3, 2014, 11:28 Creston

Is that it? What about the billions of dollars of theft the US military perpetrates each year by charging $95000 for an MS Office license in their budget?  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 3, 2014, 11:26 Creston

ForgedReality wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 10:39:
Satellite "transmussions," eh?

Gotta watch out for those transmussions. Always mushing stuff up.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer
24. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Oct 2, 2014, 15:59 Creston

It looks great to me.

I'm probably going to be lost for 900 hours in that character creator, though. FINALLY I will have a Jack Bauer who looks like Jack Fucking Bauer!@!!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: What it takes to make a cup of coffee in space Oct 2, 2014, 11:29 Creston

PHJF wrote on Oct 1, 2014, 17:47:
Creston wrote on Oct 1, 2014, 15:34:
My guess would be:

1) Rocket
2) Fuel
3) Launch Facility
4) Cup
5) Coffee beans
6) Coffee machine
7)... duct tape?

How'd you forget water?

I would be one seriously pissed off astronaut...

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. Oct 2, 2014, 11:19 Creston

Kicking your customers square in the teeth and telling them they're worthless is always a smart move. Gamasutra should give Alexander a raise.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
12. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 1, 2014, 23:40 Creston

wtf_man wrote on Oct 1, 2014, 21:14:
If they get that update real solid... that will convince a lot of enterprises to upgrade due to easy migration! (Imagine upgrading everyone through your WSUS servers)

The OS upgrade isn't the big issue (and MOST enterprises would install fresh anyway.) The big issue is "Do all my old legacy apps still work, and if not, how do I keep them working so Legal doesn't go apeshit because this piece of shit database they bought in 1972 won't work anymore..."

7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 1, 2014, 15:37 Creston

nin wrote on Oct 1, 2014, 10:04:
A client's energy bill tripled for two months with no apparent cause.

I love stories like that, as I tend to do a lot of similar troubleshooting as apart of my job. It sometimes tends to be something the user doesn't mention, and I tell people part of my job is not just asking questions, but asking the right questions to prod more information out of people...

As an example, we had one guy who's account kept getting locked, over and over, after a password change. We looked at his computer, his phone, his ipad, everything. After like 5 days of this, he's getting frustrated, and swears it can't be any other devices he owns.

I finally tell him to go home and turn off every piece of computer equipment in the house. Problem magically goes away, and I never hear from him again...

I can see what locks accounts out, so it's always pretty easy for me to take a wanker like that and go "Looks like it's an iPad that's locking your account out by hitting our network, and according to our system you have no company iPad. You know it's against security policy to connect your private iPad to our network, right?"

They typically stop complaining right at that point.

6. What it takes to make a cup of coffee in space Oct 1, 2014, 15:34 Creston

My guess would be:

1) Rocket
2) Fuel
3) Launch Facility
4) Cup
5) Coffee beans
6) Coffee machine
7)... duct tape?

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 1, 2014, 13:22 Creston

PropheT wrote on Oct 1, 2014, 11:34:
There was a thread yesterday that refuted the claims that the "insider" made, or even that they were an insider, and the community manager said it was pretty much just BS.

Duh. What else is he supposed to do? Admit it's all true?

News Comments > Star Citizen's $55M Sets Crowdfunding Record
21. Re: Star Citizen's $55M Sets Crowdfunding Record Oct 1, 2014, 13:16 Creston

Tumbler wrote on Oct 1, 2014, 12:36:
And pretty much everyone agreed that the one part of DE:HR that was developed as a separate module (the boss fights) was a terrible part that in no way, shape or form felt like part of the actual game.

I can only hope SC turns out like DE:HR. The boss fights were dumb but they didn't ruin the game for me in the least. I thought that was a phenomenal game.

It was also 99% made by the same team. See where I'm going with this?

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
17. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 1, 2014, 11:08 Creston

I'm surprised they didn't call it Windows One.

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Oct 1, 2014, 10:47 Creston

"Because Oculus refuses to blatantly pander to us with money for a positive opinion."

And shit, if Pachter thinks it's not going to happen, well, I guess Oculus better close up their doors, because that motherfucker IS NEVER WRONG. Rolleyes

News Comments > Star Citizen's $55M Sets Crowdfunding Record
9. Re: Star Citizen's $55M Sets Crowdfunding Record Oct 1, 2014, 10:44 Creston

I would say that this would be fair criticism if we were delivering this game at retail and on disc. However, we are online and already pushing out builds, well before Star Citizen reaches what anyone would consider a “finished” stage. Just because we haven’t implemented a planned feature or built a certain asset yet doesn’t prevent us from sharing the game with everyone right now. It’s this evolved process which gives us the Hangar and Arena Commander and so many modules yet to come.

Unfortunately, many games that get built as "modules" wind up feeling disjointed and less than the sum of their parts. AC3 was a very notable example. Developed by like 9 different dev teams, it was an incoherent and often boring mess. And pretty much everyone agreed that the one part of DE:HR that was developed as a separate module (the boss fights) was a terrible part that in no way, shape or form felt like part of the actual game.

I still think the feature creep is a genuine concern, since he keeps claiming that in order to deliver the full Star Citizen experience, he needs to keep getting more funding, thereby ignoring the fact that everything he has promised so far should already have been funded, and should be delivered even if not a single cent comes in anymore.

But more than that, I worry that in the end you'll have a semi-enjoyable Privateer style game where every so often you get yanked out of the Privateer part to go play "Board the capship" or "FPS the planet" in modules that in no way feel part of the overall experience.

I hope I'm wrong, but there's a reason no game of this scope has ever been attempted, and it's not because there's never been enough money for them. It's because pretty much every dev agrees that the "Everything and the kitchen sink too" approach does not make for an enjoyable game experience in the end.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
1. Re: Morning Interviews Sep 30, 2014, 11:41 Creston

Cool interview. I'm very excited for FC4

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 30, 2014, 11:28 Creston

Comcast-TWC merger vote delayed so FCC commissioners can get more bribes.  

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Released
14. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Released Sep 30, 2014, 11:24 Creston

nin wrote on Sep 30, 2014, 10:47:
Creston wrote on Sep 30, 2014, 10:45:
nin wrote on Sep 30, 2014, 09:45:
A late UPS trailer arrival has delayed delivery. We're adjusting plans to deliver your package as quickly as possible. / Delivery will be rescheduled.

Motherfucker!

Giggle

Don't make me put a pox on your precious DA3, Creston!

You already did! Shakefist

Speaking of Dragon Age 3, they released a pretty cool Twitch about the character creator, and it's just absurd how far you can customize your character now. Virtual Barbie Creator Ahoy!

This comment was edited on Sep 30, 2014, 12:58.

News Comments > F.E.A.R. Online Open Beta & Launch Next Month
15. Re: F.E.A.R. Online Open Beta & Launch Next Month Sep 30, 2014, 10:48 Creston

our team has redesigned elements of the game that are most important to players to deliver an experience that we hope will please the vast and dedicated fan base of the F.E.A.R. series.

Did you make a single player supernatural thriller/shooter? If not, then I'm guessing you didn't listen to the vast and dedicated fan base of the FEAR series on what they actually want.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Released
9. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Released Sep 30, 2014, 10:45 Creston

nin wrote on Sep 30, 2014, 09:45:
A late UPS trailer arrival has delayed delivery. We're adjusting plans to deliver your package as quickly as possible. / Delivery will be rescheduled.

Motherfucker!

Giggle

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 29, 2014, 11:52 Creston

Wow, free upgrade to Windows 9? What happened to Microsoft? It's almost as if they've started caring just a little bit about their customers...

News Comments > Visceral: Battlefield Hardline "Will Work"
9. Re: Visceral: Battlefield Hardline Sep 29, 2014, 11:50 Creston

Talk is cheap. As is EA's quality assurance.

24246 Comments. 1213 pages. Viewing page 34.
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo