Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 23527 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

News Comments > CliffyB: Don't Call My Comeback a Comeback
41. Re: removed Jul 1, 2014, 23:33 Creston

nin wrote on Jul 1, 2014, 17:56:
SpectralMeat wrote on Jul 1, 2014, 12:21:
* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jul 1, 2014, 13:39.

Damn, SM! You're one of the more nicer folks here!

Awww, he lost his cherry!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 1, 2014, 23:27 Creston

Jivaro wrote on Jul 1, 2014, 22:50:
I find it hilarious that we make it so far in the biggest tournament for the world's biggest sport and somehow anyone would frame it as a failure.

Losing in a knockout match in the world cup isn't a failure. Playing as poorly as they did is. Nobody on the US team is capable of bypassing a defender on their own, and apparently nobody is capable of possession football/soccer.

Nobody is expecting the US to suddenly become masters of Tiki Taka, but I think 60% of their 'possessions' ended with one US guy just kicking it straight back to the Red Devils. I don't know what the final Time of Possession tally was, but it must have been dirt, dirt ugly. And this is against an attacking Belgian team, because it's not as if they really play possession football either. (Had this been Spain in its past 6 year glory, Time of Possession might genuinely have been above 90% for Spain.) That's just terrible.

Also, for all how vaunted Klinsmann was as a player, apparently his plans as head coach are "play in the box for 88 minutes, then attack for 2 minutes and pray really really hard."

You rarely win by standing on your own side of the field, unless you happen to have a great counter team. But to be a great counter team, you need guys that can accurately pass a football across the length of the field, and a great forward who can make things happen on his own. The US has neither.

Their last two games were just terrible. Against Germany, okay, that's one of the world's elite teams, but Belgium really isn't that good. (Watch them kick the shit out of the Netherlands in a semi-finals matchup now that I've said that. :p )

So great result, but very poor soccer on the field. Someone buy Howard a house or something, because without him that would have been a five goal deficit loss.

The weird thing is, the US is capable of playing much better than this, as they demonstrated against Ghana and Portugal. Maybe it really was Klinsmann's game strategy to play like this, I don't know.

News Comments > Underworld Ascension Announced
32. Re: Underworld Ascension Announced Jul 1, 2014, 23:17 Creston

BitWraith wrote on Jul 1, 2014, 20:23:
Since EA owns the franchise I'd say they pretty much have to have something to do with it. I seriously doubt they just handed over the rights to this out of the goodness of their heart.

EA owns ULTIMA Underworld. This is just going to be Underworld. As long as it doesn't use the Ultima IP (ie, Britannia and the virtues etc), EA can whine all day long without it mattering anything.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 1, 2014, 18:44 Creston

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 1, 2014, 18:00:
//I find it a little humorous that they want to put Howard on such a pedestal saying it is the most shots and saves in the last x amount of years - but what about the rest of the team? What does it say about the 'merican team if they ALLOW that many shots? Eventually a few will go in.

The US was terrible. Just flat-out terrible. Even worse than they were against Germany. They literally couldn't hold possession for a single minute. Just an embarrassing match for them.

Had Howard not played out of his mind, the US would have lost by five or six goals.

News Comments > etc.
18. Re: etc. Jul 1, 2014, 16:53 Creston

descender wrote on Jul 1, 2014, 15:29:
but when the number 1 complaint about the last game was "game-play" and we have yet to hear a single word about how it has been improved or changed... but we hear about this... it doesn't leave a good taste in my mouth (phrasing?).

PHRASING BOOM!

Anyway, they've announced plenty about the gameplay. Far more open levels (as opposed to DA2, which was essentially just a bunch of corridors), little to no re-use of maps, return of tactical view, more tactical combat. They've shown the combat in several videos where some decent tactical stuff was showcased. (such as a Wall of Ice blocking archers, crowd control spells on minor enemies while the party gangs up on a mini-boss, etc.)

So no, this isn't a "BUY DA:I BECAUSE A CHARACTER IS GAY!"

Whether it'll be any good, I don't know, but this isn't some kind of major release announcement.

News Comments > etc.
12. Re: etc. Jul 1, 2014, 14:57 Creston

descender wrote on Jul 1, 2014, 12:44:
It just shows they are focusing on all the wrong things for the new DA.

Again.

How does it show that? Bioware is a big, big company. There are probably 500 some people working on Inquisition. Some of them are writers, others are level designers, others are programmers, etc etc etc.

The decision whether a character is gay, straight or bi-sexual comes solely from the writer(s) who is writing that character.

In this case, they're saying there's finally a character in a Bioware game who is "gay", but exclusively so, as opposed to all the other gay characters who were really just bi-sexual.

I fail to see how it condemns the rest of the game. The guys/gals building the combat system aren't going to be affected by whether Dorian likes Leliana or Varric.

This comment was edited on Jul 1, 2014, 15:13.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 1, 2014, 14:53 Creston

So much crow for the arrogant morons in Redmond. nomnomnom.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 1, 2014, 14:45 Creston

I vow to dominate our new competition. Rest easy, Big Bang Theory. Look out, Bang Bus!

Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Living World Season 2 Begins
1. Re: Guild Wars 2 Living World Season 2 Begins Jul 1, 2014, 14:44 Creston

Marjory, Kasmeer, Rox, Braham, and Taimi

Ugh, will we never get rid of them? They are the five most uninteresting characters ever created. They already jumped the shark in the final battle against Scarlet when blondie kissed her partner. Lesbian kisses = jumping the shark.

Let them fucking die already.

News Comments > Underworld Ascension Announced
16. Re: Underworld Ascension Announced Jul 1, 2014, 14:41 Creston

Cool, but I think Paul's beating his own drum a little too hard here. Few people go "Oh, that was Paul Neurath's baby" when you mention Thief, or System Shock, or Ultima Underworld.

Anyway, here's hoping it'll be cool.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Divinity: Original Sin
22. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Divinity: Original Sin Jul 1, 2014, 02:01 Creston

Cutter wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 23:28:
Creston wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 22:42:
I do want to play this, but going on vacation next week, and then in August it's Wasteland 2...

Too Much RPG Wealth.

This tons better than W2 - from what I've seen so far. And I will not be surprised in the least to see W2 pushed back...yet again.

Nah, I don't think they will, but even so, I've already paid for Wasteland 2.

27. Re: CliffyB: Don't Call My Comeback a Comeback Jul 1, 2014, 02:00 Creston

Beamer wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 22:59:
No chance he doesn't control his own IP.

I think you seriously overestimate the amount of money the guy has. Unless he's going to make an indie game / small budget game, of course.

16. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Divinity: Original Sin Jun 30, 2014, 22:44 Creston

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 21:18:
The Larian guys speak English as a second language, right? I wonder if they did in house localizations or something, or just didn't have time to fully proof-read all the conversations.

They're from Belgium, if I'm not mistaken?

15. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Divinity: Original Sin Jun 30, 2014, 22:42 Creston

I do want to play this, but going on vacation next week, and then in August it's Wasteland 2...

Too Much RPG Wealth.

20. Re: CliffyB: Don't Call My Comeback a Comeback Jun 30, 2014, 22:40 Creston

Shit I'm not being relevant anymore! HEY EVERYONE PAY ATTENTION TO ME, I'M GOING TO COME OUT OF RETIREMENT! PLEASE PAY ATTENTION? ANYONE? HELLO?

I'm guessing he'll go to work for Xbox. He's been vigorously sucking their nuts for the past two years enough.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
14. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 30, 2014, 15:16 Creston

I like that she bitches about mobile games recycling 40 year old game design and not having much creative vision, when in reality 99.9% of the entire gaming industry just makes the same fucking game over and over and over again, with Ubisoft pretty much leading the way.

Pot Kettle Do As I Say Not As I Do Etc.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2014, 14:55 Creston

Beamer wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 12:10:
Creston wrote on Jun 30, 2014, 11:39:
4 ways Cracked's whining is really just a quite blatant shill.

Not sure which of those points you disagree with.

Edit: This got waaaay too long. Sorry...

ALL of them.

The most pertinent two, possibly only pertinent two, are that a certain, very devoted demographic doesn't watch shows as they air (which is true - NBC's Thursday night was an absolutely beloved block of shows online that got no viewers at all),

Which has been true since the 1970s when VCRs came out. Trust the TV industry to go "OMG PEOPLE AREN'T WATCHING SHOWS LIVE ANYMORE!!!!" gaga in 2014.

and that we aren't supporting our favorite shows (which, again, is true of more than just the shows

Except that according to a study I read about a year ago (that Blue even linked to, I think), over 50% of people who DVR a show still watch the ads. And people who fast-forward through ads could easily still be reached, just make the ad a still screen of 30 seconds with your product name on it. :p

So really, the only stumbling point becomes that people don't watch the show within the 3 day time span that networks measure advertising income. And that's OUR fault, somehow? How about the cockwallets that run TV networks start measuring it over a span of a week, or two weeks?

*mind blown*

plenty of people here Adblock Blues, which means that, even though they spend all day here, they aren't supporting it.)

I think most of the people who spend all day here have adblock turned off for Blue, but yeah, it's a sad reality that 99% of internet advertising is either hideously irritating (I KNOW, LET'S DO BIG BRIGHT FLASHING ADVERTISING BANNERS!!! NO, LET'S PLAY SOUND AT VOLUME 3000000000000!!), includes malware, or it is dirt dirt slow to load. The latter is the reason why I adblock the page when I access it from home. With adblock, the page loads in 2 seconds. Without it, it takes anywhere between 30-90 seconds.

I have it turned off at work, and to make up for using it at home, I do click quite a few of the ads when I'm at work. But yeah, internet advertising has killed itself by becoming a giant fucking intrusive hassle to work with. None of this is the fault of the consumer.

It isn't complaining about these things,

Yes, it is. It basically says "You need to watch show live again, and watch all the ads!" because apparently people have nothing else to do anymore besides be home between 8 and 9 to watch something.

or issuing a call to arms, it's just pointing out that a certain demographic, very much the urban youth demographic, has viewing habits that tend to ruin their shows.

Let me fix that for you: "... has viewing habits that don't conform to television's fifty-plus year old business model anymore."

How about they come up with new business models?

*mind blow again*

As someone that now barely watches anything because most of what I like seems to either get killed or have the budget cut to the point that it's neutered, I agree.

Okay, so it's YOUR fault then. Do you agree? Because if you still watched shows, they wouldn't get canceled. Right? That's the logic here.

Except shows that DO get watched still get canceled, often for no fucking reason. Five million viewers? NOT ENOUGH!

Fuck the TV industry.

I just expect this to be the beginning of a trend that will hit all TV, not just the shows non-rural 18-25 year olds love. Broadcasters will have to adjust, not viewers.

So you do understand. Why are you arguing from both sides of the fence here? That makes no sense.

as advertisers may not learn how to deal and instead force placement everywhere that can't be merely forwarded past (30 Rock did plenty of placement, and did it well, but if every show does it, even if ironically like 30 Rock, it'll just further strangle shows as people stop watching altogether.)

That's possible. I don't mind product placement in shows, as long as its non-intrusive, and doesn't happen too often.

Good product placement: Jack Bauer driving nothing but Ford vehicles in 24.

Bad product placement: CTU being hacked, and Chloe having to ask Bill what to do, and Bill telling her to let Cisco's magnificent anti-hacker features deal with it, followed by a 10 second screen of a cisco applet doing something.

Advertisers will take eons to figure it out, because they're even dumber than TV execs, and shows that will irritate people to death will simply not get watched, at which point some tit on Cracked will complain that it's our fault again.

Here's the thing: People will put up with advertising as long as it is not annoying. Anything that's annoying, people will avoid. Advertising has not understood this simple truth for 50+ years, probably because it used to be people didn't have a choice but watch it. And now that people do, both TV and advertisers are screaming bloody murder.

Fuck them.

News Comments > Morning Previews
1. Re: Morning Previews Jun 30, 2014, 12:03 Creston

So, OMD is turning into a MOBA now? Hmmm...

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2014, 11:39 Creston

4 ways Cracked's whining is really just a quite blatant shill.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Jun 30, 2014, 11:38 Creston

Cool by the Rockstar guy to preserve the church building.  

23527 Comments. 1177 pages. Viewing page 34.
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo