Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 24246 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

News Comments > Crusader Kings II Charlemagne Expansion This Month
7. Re: rusader Kings II Charlemagne Expansion This Month Oct 4, 2014, 16:11 Creston

Tyrric wrote on Oct 4, 2014, 13:29:
Creston wrote on Oct 4, 2014, 12:58:
*Googles rusader*

I hear Harlemagne was quite the rusader.

Giggle

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
1. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Oct 4, 2014, 13:01 Creston

“Microsoft collects information about you, your devices, applications and networks, and your use of those devices, applications and networks,” the Windows 10 preview terms state. “Examples of data we collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; and application usage.”

AWESOME!

I knew it all sounded too good to be true.

News Comments > Crusader Kings II Charlemagne Expansion This Month
1. Re: rusader Kings II Charlemagne Expansion This Month Oct 4, 2014, 12:58 Creston

*Googles rusader*

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 3, 2014, 23:44 Creston

Sho wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 16:39:
NKD wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 13:19:
Start a Patreon to cover costs. I'm sure many of us would be willing to pitch in, especially if you offer some good rewards like permanently banning Cutter.

Fuck me. Maybe I'm extra-silly tonight, but I was innocently skimming along, hit that ending - and lost it.

Man I feel bad I didn't know that affiliate program, I spent quite some money on Amazon lately. Does it work internationally, though?

There are separate links below the right side ad banner that lead to Amazon, Amazon.CA, Amazon.DE and uhhh... (checks) Amazon.CO.UK.

So if you shop at any one of those, click the appropriate link and it'll work. If you shop at something weird, like say Amazon.xxx, then no.

News Comments > Game Reviews
34. Re: Game Reviews Oct 3, 2014, 23:41 Creston

NKD wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 17:38:
Task wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 16:56:
The story, despite the retcon (ripley daughter), seems to not be too over done.

Ripley's daughter isn't really a retcon. She was mentioned in a scene in the Special Edition of Aliens back in the early 90s. She died in her 70s or something while Ripley was still in cryo.

The thing that confuses me in the story is that 14 or so years after Alien, people back on Earth apparently know what happened to Ellen Ripley, even though by that point she's still floating through the inner core systems in cryo-freeze.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Xbone in Japan Oct 3, 2014, 23:22 Creston

The Xbox did not fail in Japan, is not continuing to fail in Japan, because people here don't want to buy a product from a foreign company. It is failing because of something intrinsic to the product in question - something that simply doesn't appeal to Japanese consumers.

It's failing, and try to stay with me here, because... it's a giant piece of underpowered shit.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Marriott Oct 3, 2014, 23:14 Creston

"Marriott has a strong interest in ensuring that when our guests use Wi-Fi service, they do so using OUR service which is fucking ridiculously overpriced. Seriously. We're making like 8 billion % on this shit. If we allowed people to use their phones as hotspots, we could kiss that sweet sweet lucre goodbye."  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
33. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 3, 2014, 22:39 Creston

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 16:46:
Now, I want multiple desktops because I need to have more than two windows open and when those multiple windows are open, I need them to be readable. It may come as a shock to some people, but the average corporate user isn't the secretary with one browser window open and an Office document open. The average corporate user has 6-8 apps or windows open at any given time that they are actively using throughout the day.

Oh, good, I'm glad you were here to tell me this, because I sure thought that everyone who used Windows just had a browser open on one window...

Please show me in Windows 7 where, without resorting to third party tools (which may not even be allowed by a corporate IT department because this isn't just about home use), I can have multiple desktops on a single screen?

Multiple DESKTOPS or multiple open windows/applications? If desktops, then no, you can't. I wasn't aware you could do that in Windows 8 either? (if you can, that's a solid benefit.)

Please show me where on these multiple desktops on Windows 7 that I can easily transfer them to one of my other desktops on the same machine with just one click. Further, I would like it if you showed me on Windows 7 where I can actively and dynamically have windows resize to quarter, six or eight panel layout so I can observe, say, several status monitors simultaneously?

Aero can do most of that with windows, though admittedly not with desktops. Again, I'm pretty sure Windows 8 can't do that either?

By the way, the features that I just mentioned above? Those have been in Linux for a decade. Literally a decade.

What does that have to do with anything? Your original premise was that Windows 8 allowed you to do so much that Windows 7 can't. So why are you now arguing about Linux?

Oh, while we're at it, can someone show me on Windows 7 where I can manage Hyper-V VMs without resorting to RSAT?

Does RSAT have Ebola or something? Is it illegal to install? It's a tool. It, like, goes with the OS.

While I had used Windows 7 for a long time, when necessary, those were never features I uncovered. Further, I was never able to uncover where the far better memory management, network stack performance and boot times that are inherent in the Windows 8, and above, kernel were in the Windows 7 kernel. Maybe someone can show me those, too?

Far better memory management is a feature tickbox that Microsoft touts that 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of all users never notices, and the same for network stack performance. And while boot times are noticeable, you're the one who brought this discussion to enterprise users, and guess how often the average enterprise user reboots his/her machine? (It's when the software update server forces a reboot once every other week.)

Finally, we were talking about the UI. Again, try to remember what you were arguing. It's also funny that you harp on the Windows 7 UI, but then say that you use Windows 8 and boot directly to the desktop, which is really just kind of the Windows 7 UI anyway, minus the start button.

While I grant that I specifically said that clinging to an ancient UI was ridiculously stupid, and I won't budge from that stance, there are many, many reasons why clinging to Windows 7 as technology marches forward is blindingly stupid.

Blindingly stupid even. Okay. Giggle THE WORLD WILL END IF PEOPLE DON'T UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 10!
You MUST work for Microsoft's marketing division.

Old Bessie and my truck have the exact same problem, there's a misfire. Farmer Bill lifts the hood to Old Bessie and starts checking the distributor, the points, the cables and then has to go get tools to take out the spark plugs. On the other hand, I open the driver side door of my F150, take off the cover to the diagnostic port, plug in my laptop and run the diagnostic tool that tells me in less than 30 seconds that the coil on cylinder 6 is bad.

Great, it's easier to diagnose. Now you need to actually be able to repair it.

Let me tell you a slightly less skewed 100% towards your own viepoint story: You're driving along the highway and your F150 stops working, (and you left your snazzy Windows 8 laptop with the enterprise user who reboots 87 times a day and has 37 desktops open at all times. )

Trying to diagnose your truck is... hard. Trying to fix it on the road? Pretty much impossible.

Which of those two was the easier scenario? EVERY PCM that had ODBII or greater that I have ever dealt with can tell me a more precise location of a problem, and usually what the actual problem is, in far more detail than Farmer Bill and his alleged "know how" while he spends half of a Saturday playing shade tree mechanic.

IF you have the right diagnostic tool, then yes, diagnosing it is easier. Actually FIXING the issue is far harder than it used to be. You can barely even get at stuff anymore without pretty specialized tools.

Sorry, Creston, but modern technology has made bumper to bumper diagnostics easier than ever while durability and longevity due to that technology has gone through the roof.

Pppfffttt hahahahahahaa. Car technology is so reliable and trustworthy nowadays! GM alone has recalled 30 million vehicles in barely 9 months because there's nothing that ever goes wrong with them!

It used to be in the "good old days" that you had to rebuild an engine at 100,000 miles like clockwork. Today, I can get more than a quarter million miles out of an engine with nothing more than scheduled maintenance and it's still going strong.

Pointless anecdotal "evidence" is pointless. For every current engine that runs a quarter million miles with nothing but maintenance there are also plenty that break down, and I can make the same argument for old engines. Here, pointless anecdotal evidence from the other side: One of my wife's friends bought a brand new Honda Civic last year. This past summer, she drove it to Kentucky (I believe) from Tulsa, and on the way back, it crapped out in Arkansas. Didn't even have 25K miles on it. Engine kaput. (it was under warranty, so not a huge deal, but still.)

In the meantime, old guy at church drives his beat up Crown Vic from the 70s, and that old piece of shit is still going, day in - day out. Has well over 400K miles on it. He never takes it to the garage, everything that ever needs to be done to it, he does himself. Good luck doing that on a Fusion.

Also, fairly importantly, I never actually made the argument that old engines were better, that's what you are turning it into in some frantic straw-manning. In fact, I said quite the opposite. Let me requote what I said: Engines WERE easier to work on back in the days when they still came with carburators. While that may not make them better inasmuch

Old engines were easier to work on and you actually had a decent shot of jury rigging a repair to get you back home where you probably had some tools that could fix the problem altogether. Good luck doing that on a modern engine.

Of course, technology is getting better, and in many cases it's beneficial to everyone even if it comes with minor caveats. On the flipside, if new technology that is really just a marginal upgrade offers little to no tangible benefits for a large portion of the user base, said user base is going to not bother upgrading, no matter how badly you want people to.

This comment was edited on Oct 3, 2014, 23:09.

News Comments > Next Car Game Renamed Wreckfest; Multiplayer Introduced
3. Re: Next Car Game Renamed Wreckfest; Multiplayer Introduced Oct 3, 2014, 22:19 Creston

I'd kinda forgotten about this again. Is there any idea of a release date yet?  

News Comments > Game Reviews
15. Re: Game Reviews Oct 3, 2014, 15:15 Creston

NetHead wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 12:33:
Prez wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 09:56:
The four reviews posted are on the four sites I swore off forever. No clicks for you!

I was just thinking "I don't want to open any of those sites."

So instead, from Metacritic...

93 PC Gamer
92 GameFront
90 Multiplayer.it
90 Everyeye.it
90 The Escapist
90 Eurogamer Italy
85 3DJuegos
85 Destructoid
80 Joystiq
80 Shacknews
80 Vandal Online
80 IGN Italia
73 GameStar
70 Meristation
65 GRYOnline.pl
60 GameSpot
59 IGN

ArsTechnica decried it as simply having broken AI (from the guys who do the Total War series? Whodathunkit! ), on account of the alien finding you in seconds when it should have absolutely no clue where you are, and on the flipside it not seeing you when you're practically standing right in front of it, and being so brutally difficult that when you get stuck in one of the many "only one way through" sections, it can easily take an hour's worth of Try-Fail-Try-Fail-Try-Fail because of the manual save points.

No idea whether that is correct, but if that's the case, it makes me wonder what sites are doing giving this such high scores.

From the PC Gamer review

Encounters with the alien are not scripted. Its behaviour is unpredictable, and the impressive, reactive AI creates the illusion that it's an intelligent creature.

So, broken AI on the one hand, great dynamic AI on the other? One of these two is lying.

This comment was edited on Oct 3, 2014, 15:21.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 3, 2014, 15:09 Creston

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 13:46:
Because that UI is ancient, being very close to 19 years old now, and it is no longer suited to the way modern computing works.

Not gainsaying your argument, but what exactly about Windows 7's UI is unsuited to the way modern computing works? What even constitutes "modern computing" by your definition? Touch screens? I don't have a touch screen, so that 'feature' is pointless to me.

Multiple monitors? They work fine in Win7, unless you want to have the task bar appear on both screens (which you can easily do with third party tools.)

I'm really just curious what doesn't work according to you.

To me, it's funny in the same way that old guys bitch and carp about how much "better" it was when engines still had carburetors and how "easier" they were to work on.

I'm not sure why that's funny to you, as it is actually a simple truth. Engines WERE easier to work on back in the days when they still came with carburators. While that may not make them better inasmuch, for people who were used to doing a lot of their own car maintenance etc, it's not that hard to see that current engines, which practically require an MS in computer science, are deemed "worse" by their standards. (even if technologically current engines are many times better.)

Now, the amusement part comes in when some of those very same people will buy Windows 10 expecting an interface similar to Windows 7 out of the box. By the time Windows 10 hits retail shelves, Windows 7 will be a decade old. A DECADE. Yet they'll happily delude themselves in to believing that nothing has, or should, change.

That's a pretty straw man you're building. I think most people will take a look at windows One, determine if it's worth upgrading to, and if it offers zero features that matter to them personally they'll just stick with Win7.

Many people don't see the need to upgrade an OS because Microsoft tells them to.

Kajetan wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 14:09:
You know what you are? You are a progress nazi!

Well, that went nowhere in a hurry...

News Comments > The Evil Within Minimum Specs
26. Re: The Evil Within Minimum Specs Oct 3, 2014, 14:59 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 14:37:
Creston wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 11:39:
Frags4Fun wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 10:37:
I don't understand why we put up with this crap when these ISP's are making billions in profits.

Billions is probably exaggerated, but the reason people put up with it is because they have no choice. If you have exactly one option for even marginally decent high speed, what are you going to do? Cancel and go back to dial-up?

Looks like Comcast made $8.4B in profit last year. When you're collecting $1000 per year from millions of people on an infrastructure that doesn't cost a lot to maintain, and you have no competition, you can make literally billions in profit.

There are hundreds of ISPs in the US. Only Verizon, Comcast, AT&T etc make billions of dollars.

Most ISPs barely scrape by.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Delayed
23. Re: Pillars of Eternity Delayed Oct 3, 2014, 12:03 Creston

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Oct 2, 2014, 20:44:
Oh, it's definitely coming, on some version of the Skyrim engine. There is no way there won't be some sort of Skyrim enhanced Fallout sequel eventually, probably at least one each by Bethesda and Obsidian.

Off topic, but I dunno. I think the reason the Fallout 4 announcement is taking so long is that Bethesda is switching engines and it's taking a lot longer to get it to the same moddable state as their iteration of Gamebryo was.

It's a pure guess, but it would make sense. Skyrim was getting pretty darn long in the tooth, engine wise. A new engine gets them set for the next several titles.

And yes, I would imagine they'll allow someone (maybe Obsidian) to make another spinoff title after they release FO4.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Delayed
22. Re: Pillars of Eternity Delayed Oct 3, 2014, 12:00 Creston

I don't mind them taking the time to make it great, but now they're going to butt up against the Witcher 3's release date...  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 3, 2014, 11:58 Creston

That poor, poor dog covered in tar...  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 3, 2014, 11:53 Creston

I wouldn't be opposed to a subscription model, but we need far stronger forum/comments policies so we no longer have to put up with dipshit trolls every single day. (There aren't too many of them right now, fortunately.)

In the meantime, I'm happy to visit one extra website and click a link in order to get you some kickbacks from my Amazon purchases.

8. Re: The Evil Within Minimum Specs Oct 3, 2014, 11:39 Creston

Frags4Fun wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 10:37:
I don't understand why we put up with this crap when these ISP's are making billions in profits.

Billions is probably exaggerated, but the reason people put up with it is because they have no choice. If you have exactly one option for even marginally decent high speed, what are you going to do? Cancel and go back to dial-up?

7. Re: The Evil Within Minimum Specs Oct 3, 2014, 11:38 Creston

It's about time someone paid attention to that all that evil within minimum specs! *Badum pssshhh*

/shows self out

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 3, 2014, 11:37 Creston

Comcast pizza party... I'd laugh if it wasn't so sad. At least they apparently sprung for good pizza. I would have fully expected Comcast to show up with 2 small, plain cheese pizzas from Cici's or something.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Oct 3, 2014, 11:31 Creston

What, you mean curators would get paid for positive coverage? WHAT, I NEVER...! THAT HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE IN THE HISTORY OF GAMES COVERAGE!!!

This effectively gives a developer the power to highlight anyone who is writing nice things about their game (and potentially hide anyone who isn't). But hopefully people won't do that - with great power comes great responsibility etc. etc.

Yeah, hopefully they won't do that! Rolleyes Rolleyes Rolleyes Rolleyes Rolleyes Rolleyes

24246 Comments. 1213 pages. Viewing page 33.
< Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo