Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 22969 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
57. Re: Op Ed May 23, 2014, 12:05 Creston

windsock wrote on May 23, 2014, 01:33:
Every now and then I'm reminded how even the most well-intentioned Westerners still fall so easily into the same historical habits of their more imperialist predecessors. Clear away the modern language, and the assumptions and attitudes this writer displays is basically akin to the various colonial-era "white man's burden" exhortations to "civilize" non-whites in accordance with the "correct" (and inevitably white-centric) viewpoints.

It would be funny, except that as we can so clearly see by this awful article, this sort of subtly patronizing racial paternalism is still so very prevalent, even amongst the more liberal circles. I was hoping this sort of thing was finally dying out back in the 1990s with the multiculturalism push, but over twenty years later I'm still seeing the same mistakes being made over and over again, by the same sort of well-intentioned Westerners who are so blinded by their righteous ideals that they can't see how hypocritically racist and ethnocentric they are being.

Maybe I'm getting too old for this shit. Maybe I should stop caring so much. It's just another stupid racist article in a sea of relentless idiocy. Outrage fatigue is a real thing; the more you worry about every little meaningless offensive thing, the less energy you have to work on the things that actually, really matter, and I just don't have nearly as much energy to spare as I used to. But for some reason or another this irks me more than usual, so I take the time and trouble to de-lurk and rant uselessly like the cranky old geezer I've become.

Very nicely put.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
56. Re: Op Ed May 23, 2014, 12:03 Creston

Beamer wrote on May 23, 2014, 01:56:
You see what happens whenever race and gender come up in this forum as well as I do. You can really deny that games have an issue?

No, games do have 'issues' (which is a very wide-reaching concept), I just think that Nintendo only having "white" characters isn't something to get upset over, or even something they need to change.

Nintendo has been putting out the exact same games since the 1980s, when obviously none of this was even considered an issue to begin with. They are using characters they've been using for decades. What are they supposed to do? Make Mario black out of some token effort to be race-inclusive, or whatever? All their fans would explode.

Also, how many outcries from colored people have there been regarding this issue? Was it even an issue until Ars Technica White Guy brought it up?

There are idiots like Broussard in gaming who think a trailer should be a chick in hotpants with her tits hanging out of her torn crop top. That's probably a far better issue to complain about than Nintendo being stuck in the 80s.

In any case, like I originally said, it just seems that all these "gaming journalists" are now just actively looking to whine about shit. When we've fixed the more serious issues in gaming, maybe we can start worrying about Nintendo needing to realize there's more to life than people of one skin color.

News Comments > Diablo III Legendary Anniversary Buff Becomes Permanent
40. Re: Diablo III Legendary Anniversary Buff Becomes Permanent May 23, 2014, 11:52 Creston

Prez wrote on May 23, 2014, 05:38:
Creston wrote on May 22, 2014, 11:15:
It's like they've finally figured out that people play Diablo for the fun of finding more loot!

(as opposed to their initial thought of... I dunno? The awesome story or something?)

I give your sarcasm one congratulatory wank!

Only one?

News Comments > Gooseman Outs Half-Life 3 and L4D3 Development?
40. Re: Gooseman Outs Half-Life 3 and L4D3 Development? May 23, 2014, 11:45 Creston

Whiskers wrote on May 23, 2014, 09:46:
I don't even remember the story outside of Half Life 1.

Aliens invade Earth. A resistance fights back, led by a mute scientist who has achieved near-messianic status. There's also a guy in a blue suit who is very mysterious.

There. The story of Half-Life.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. hackers un-brick stolen iPhones May 23, 2014, 11:29 Creston

Good. Maybe now Congress can stop wasting time and money on laws that make the ability to brick phones mandatory, and they can start focusing on important things, like, oh, I dunno, Comcast and its ilk trying to fucking destroy the internet.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2014, 11:25 Creston

InBlack wrote on May 23, 2014, 09:40:
No Game of Thrones this weekend!! Arghhhh. Apparently out of respect for Memorial Day. (Although I suspect its due to poor ratings while people are busy doing other things and not watching TV). I fail to see the connection but then again Im not American. Is this sort of thing common in the US??

TV series always skip holiday weekends/weeks in the US. Memorial day, especially, is a very heavily traveled weekend, so it's simple true that there are far fewer people left at home to (potentially) watch your show.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation May 23, 2014, 11:23 Creston

"I know that this isnít really the way things are usually done in the industry, but I think that if you have put a bad product out to people it is your job to do what you can to fix that. Even if it means going back to the drawing board on a game that has already been released."

Very commendable. of course, talk is cheap.

News Comments > Watch Dogs Videos
11. Re: Watch Dogs Videos May 23, 2014, 11:20 Creston

Fion wrote on May 23, 2014, 10:29:
but now even the tv shows are hardly about anything BUT a product they want to sell... even if it's amusing.

Yeah. I mean, Breaking Bad sure sold a lot of meth. And Archer sold a lot of... penis jokes? And I guess Orphan Black sold... clones?

News Comments > Watch Dogs Videos
10. Re: Watch Dogs Videos May 23, 2014, 11:17 Creston

and ultimately concludes that only one thing is certain: with enough determination, nothing is secure.

I'm glad you guys went all the way to LA to figure that out.

Okay, all kidding aside, just watching this video and remembering the PC launch trailer, I noticed quite a bit of difference. so I went back and rewatched the PC one to make sure, and yep, it sure does look nicer than the PS4 one. As in noticeably nicer.

FEEL TEH POWER OF NEXT-GEN!

News Comments > Gooseman Outs Half-Life 3 and L4D3 Development?
29. Re: Gooseman Outs Half-Life 3 and L4D3 Development? May 22, 2014, 22:48 Creston

*dismissive wank* *dismissive wank*

Stay tuned for the third episode, coming soon!

News Comments > Op Ed
51. Re: Op Ed May 22, 2014, 22:44 Creston

Beamer wrote on May 22, 2014, 19:04:
They can do better. We should expect our companies to do better. But, for whatever reason, while this board is very quick to make all kinds of demands that corporations do everything better, those same people are equally quick to defend them whenever it turns to race, gender or sexuality.

Yeah, I'm going to put "NINTENDO ONLY HAS 'WHITE' CHARACTERS IN THEIR GAMES!" as approximately #93,478 on the list of "Shit corporations have to improve."

But hey, keep fighting the good fight. I'm going to focus more on US corporations trying to fucking rape the internet into oblivion.

News Comments > Metro Redux Announced
1. Re: Metro Redux Announced May 22, 2014, 17:17 Creston

Sounds pretty good  

News Comments > Watch Dogs Launch Trailer
1. Re: Watch Dogs Launch Trailer May 22, 2014, 17:16 Creston

a brilliant hacker who saw something no one was meant to see

Boobs?

News Comments > Op Ed
37. Re: Op Ed May 22, 2014, 16:49 Creston

Verno wrote on May 22, 2014, 15:00:
Maybe Mario can be whatever the hell Japan wants him to be because Japan is kinda crazy and who cares. Seriously go watch some of their game shows and commercials sometime then let me know if you think White Mario is a real problem.

I may be a white man but I'm not angry

Japan is a country in which 96% of its population is native, so they really don't see differently colored people all that often. Nintendo making its character all monotone is pretty much in keeping with how Japan IS.

I'd say that if someone wants to be mad at Japan over something, maybe get mad over their glorification of rape and underage sex. (as in, older businessmen screwing teen girls.)

News Comments > Crytek Announces Arena of Fate
12. Re: Crytek Announces Arena of Fate May 22, 2014, 11:27 Creston

It's always amusing to see everyone jump on board a popular genre several years after the fact, when it's likely already peaked. I'm guessing Crytek will announce a DayZ clone somewhere in 2017 or so.

(Also, in 2019, MS will announce a MOBA, and in 2022 they'll do a DayZ clone, both of which will be free on Xbox Live by 2025! Sign up now!)

News Comments > ZeniMax Sues Oculus
28. Re: ZeniMax Sues Oculus May 22, 2014, 11:23 Creston

InBlack wrote on May 22, 2014, 04:11:
I hope Palmer and Zuckerberg stick to their guns and fight this in court. I dont think they are going to lose, unless Carmack was really, really stupid and actually did work on the Oculus on company time...(or money, office supplies, whatever...)

But here's the thing, they actually announced that Carmack was ALLOWED to work on the Rift while he was still at id, like a year or so ago. There was a huge discussion about it, how weird it was that he was working for two companies at the same time, and how was that going to work?

So if he was supposed to work on id stuff, but instead worked on the rift stuff, I can see Zenimax having a point. But if Carmack worked on the rift in accordance with that agreement both companies signed, then they're just now fishing for money because FB bought OR.

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed May 22, 2014, 11:17 Creston

Oh good, someone found something to bitch at again in the game industry. I was getting worried, it had been like a whole week.  

News Comments > Diablo III Legendary Anniversary Buff Becomes Permanent
8. Re: Diablo III Legendary Anniversary Buff Becomes Permanent May 22, 2014, 11:15 Creston

It's like they've finally figured out that people play Diablo for the fun of finding more loot!

(as opposed to their initial thought of... I dunno? The awesome story or something?)

News Comments > ZeniMax Sues Oculus
8. Re: ZeniMax Sues Oculus May 21, 2014, 23:53 Creston

"blablablabla they have money now and we want some blablablablabla"

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2014, 18:36 Creston

Quboid wrote on May 21, 2014, 17:32:
My cat died on Monday, he was 1 year and 10 months old. It seems so unfair that such a happy, healthy little guy is gone so suddenly.

I'm so sorry, Quboid.

22969 Comments. 1149 pages. Viewing page 31.
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo