Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 24511 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2014, 11:35 Creston

Verno wrote on Nov 10, 2014, 09:58:
Everything on the PS3 is slow and clunky, I don't even turn it on anymore. Between the PC and PS4 I can't stand going back to the long load times, UI clunkiness and etc.

Yeah it's gotten really irritating the last year or so. I don't know what they messed up in their updates along the line, but it's noticeably slower than it used to be.

Tempted to get a new console, and I have to say that despite the fact that it's an underpowered piece of shit, the Xbone has more games that look appealing. Plus it's currently 350 bucks and comes with a copy of AC:Unity, so the console is basically $290... Undecided

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
2. Re: Sunday Consolidation Nov 9, 2014, 14:18 Creston

That's actually a pretty good deal at Best Buy. If you've got a good old console, you can basically get a bone for 200 bucks.  

News Comments > Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Patch & Dedicated Server Talk
5. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Patch & Dedicated Server Talk Nov 9, 2014, 14:13 Creston

While you work on interpreting what that actually means

It means: Fuck you, no dedicated servers.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2014, 23:23 Creston

Hit the low 60s here today, fired up the grill and made some delicious chicken and turkey burgers. Hurray for mild weather.

News Comments > Saturday Patches
23. Re: Saturday Patches Nov 8, 2014, 23:20 Creston

Quboid wrote on Nov 8, 2014, 19:37:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 8, 2014, 19:20:
Ladron3dfx wrote on Nov 8, 2014, 18:41:
Steam has removed the users ability to disable updates.

Not true. Go away troll.

I just checked - having also exclaimed bullshit - but it's true. The update options are "always", "high-priority", and "when it launches". There's no "never" option. I don't know when this change happened.

It shouldn't be legal to remove content from a game that people have bought. I'm sure they're covered by some small print but this seems wrong.

It's been that way for awhile already. I noticed it three weeks ago when I tried to keep Wasteland 2 from updating every week with a 3GB patch. It's bullshit, but there ya go.

As for the legality of it, I'm sure in the EULA it states "We can completely remove the entire game and there's fuck all you can do about it," and there will be some paid-for titwallet judge who will uphold that.

Corporations, yay!

News Comments > Total War: ATTILA Trailer
4. Re: Total War: ATTILA Trailer Nov 8, 2014, 23:17 Creston

Don't worry though, because this time they have put 1483 guys FULL TIME on enemy AI!

News Comments > Ubisoft vs. Steam?
91. Re: Ubisoft vs. Steam? Nov 8, 2014, 00:33 Creston

Jerykk wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 23:06:
Creston wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 12:41:
Jerykk wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 12:24:
Unfortunately, as Origin has proved, removing your games from Steam is simply going to stop many people from buying your games.

I don't think it's proved anything of the kind. BF3 and BF4 sold millions and millions of copies. ME3 was by far the best selling title in the series. Pre-orders for DA:I are the highest in Bioware's history, across all platforms.

It's obviously working well enough that EA is sticking with it.

And if those games were on Steam, they would have sold even more. You can't argue that Steam isn't the largest distributor of PC games and you can't argue that being on Steam wouldn't increase sales.

I never said that, but it's quite apparently not cutting sales by 30% in order to offset that 30% that Valve takes.

For high profile sequels like BF3/4 and ME3, the lack of Steam presence is less significant as those series have established fanbases that will buy the games regardless of where they are sold. But for less popular series, the lack of Steam availability certainly has a significant impact on sales. Dead Space 3, Mercenaries 2, The Saboteur, Titanfall, NFS: Most Wanted, NFS: Rivals, Crysis 3, Dragon Age 2, Syndicate, MoH: Warfighter... all would be generating significantly more revenue if they were available on Steam.

That's a fair enough point, but I don't think Ubisoft is very worried about that (though the point is already moot since their titles are back on Steam.) Assassin's Creed and Far Cry are definitely popular enough that people would switch over to Uplay for them (especially since, as was pointed out, you're already playing them on Uplay anyways.)

Origin has the benefit of learning from Steam's mistakes yet it's still inferior in every way.

No it's not.

- Money back policy. Admittedly only on EA games, but I don't see why anyone would buy anything but EA games on Origin to begin with, so that's probably not that big of a deal. Nowhere to be found on Steam.
- Far, far, FAR better support. You know you are terrible when **EA** offers much better support than you do. Yet Gabe refuses to fix Steam's worthless, shit-ass broken support.

Here's a hint Gabe: If people are tweeting you directly with support issues, your support for your 1.5 BILLION DOLLAR REVENUE SERVICE is probably fucking broken.

- Ability to separate downloads and installs on multiple partitions etc. Steam has finally started allowing this, but I don't know if it does so yet for every game. Probably not a huge deal for people, but it's also pretty absurd that it wasn't available from the get-go.

I'm not arguing that Origin is on par with Steam, because it's not. The fact that you can't port an Origin game from one system to another will always make it a million percent inferior for me. But if it was really costing EA that much money, they'd have caved by now, or faced shareholder revolt. And while it's not as good as Steam, Origin does do several things better than Steam.

News Comments > Evening Patches
7. Re: Evening Patches Nov 8, 2014, 00:13 Creston

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 22:36:
Is Wasteland ready to play after that monster update?

I've stopped playing until they're done updating, because I'm getting sick and tired of having to download a 2 or 3 GB patch every fucking week.

When you do play, take a tip, and don't go full-on to max out your combat skills as soon as you can. I reached California with basically near max combat stats, and it makes all the battles there just boring.

On the flipside, any usage skill that is NOT at level 10 is basically worthless in California, since everything is at difficulty level 10... It's terrible balancing, but there you have it...

Fixed leaving specific random encounters putting the party in the wrong location on the World Map.

Good. That one was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO irritating. Walk from point A to point B. Get random encounter with 0% chance to escape. Slog through 10 min random encounter. Find out game has put you back where you started at point A. Walk towards point B again. Run into random encounter with 0% chance to escape. Slog through 10 min random encounter. Find out you've been put at point A again.

News Comments > Ubisoft Titles Return to Steam
15. Re: Ubisoft Titles Return to Steam Nov 7, 2014, 22:12 Creston

Redmask wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 21:46:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 21:17:
Holy fucking shitballs. I knew it was going to happen. $70 fucking dollars in Canada for it, welcome to '99/2000 all over again. $59 on GMG. Yep...

Yeah I saw that earlier. Did they think people just wouldn't notice the games magically became $10 more expensive in one day? The whole dispute was over regional pricing according to some anons on reddit. I only put stock in what they said because they called it before it even happened. Supposedly they want some really absurd shit for the UK and Steam said no, its all still in limbo.

That seems odd. Why would Steam care? They get 30% of a higher price.

News Comments > Blizzard Announces Overwatch
50. Re: Blizzard Announces Overwatch Nov 7, 2014, 22:00 Creston

*hollywood voice over*

"In a time of global crisis... a coalition of soldiers... scientists... adventurers... and oddities... comes together and restores order to the world. They are known as... the Overwatch!

dramatic pause

"They're all gone now. Please welcome to our game: The Overwatch!"

You need to hire better writers, Blizzard.

to a bazaar in the shadows of a high-tech Egyptian pyramid

Egypt doesn't build pyramids anymore. They kinda stopped doing that awhile back, sorta right around the time you began work on Titan.

fights can shift from streets to rooftops to open skies within the span of a breath.

So, in a second? You can go from streets to rooftops to the sky in a second? That sounds rather uncontrollable.

Our goal with Overwatch is to create an awesome FPS experience thatís more accessible to a much wider audience

More accessible to a much wider audience than what? Other FPS games? So you want to make a game that's somehow more accessible than, say, Call of Duty, a game which is played by roughly 89% of the world's population?

This entire press release is a just a confused burble of synergy words.

/snark off.

They still make cool cutscenes though

This comment was edited on Nov 7, 2014, 22:10.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 7, 2014, 17:29 Creston

beremot wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 14:55:
It's kind of like assuming all French people walk around with baguettes under their arms when they're not performing mime acts, etc.

A baquette, a slice of Brie and a bottle of wine. Please don't sell them short like that!

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: Burritos Nov 7, 2014, 17:27 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 15:31:
Creston wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 15:01:
It's funny. And true.

Fuck you, publishers. FUCK YOU.

Hey, it's not all bad. In six months you'll be able to buy that burrito on Steam for a 75% discount. Sure, it won't taste as good, having been frozen for six months, but look at the price! The add-ons cheese and salsa still full price however.

And require Eater Points. They are a dollar a point, and you can buy them in multiples of five. All add-ons are four eater points.

FUCK YOU EA/MS FOR INVENTING THIS FUCKING HORSESHIT.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
15. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 7, 2014, 17:25 Creston

1badmf wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 17:11:
Creston wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 14:28:
Speaking of Mass Effect, Chris Schlerf (who? Dunno. Apparently he wrote HALO 4, so if someone played that, please chime in) is the lead writer for the next ME game (or trilogy, since there have been rumors that it'll be a new trilogy.)

No idea whether to be happy or not, since I have no idea whether the guy is any good or not. Mac Walters is at least no longer lead writer, but he is still creative director, so he can undoubtedly fuck more shit up.

halo 4 was probably the best halo narrative-wise. if he's the writer i'm fully ok with that.

That's good to hear.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Nov 7, 2014, 15:02 Creston

Pigeon wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 11:45:
If caught, the caller faces up to a year in jail and $5,000 fine.

Is that all?! You put people in danger of twitchy fingered police, waste tax payer money and traumatize a family and the maximum you can get amounts to a slap on the wrist?

And that's only if you're a filthy peasant. If you were, say, the CEO of Chase bank, you'd call the AG and tell him to go fuck himself, and he would quickly drop all charges and go fuck himself.

News Comments > etc.
3. Burritos Nov 7, 2014, 15:01 Creston

It's funny. And true.

Fuck you, publishers. FUCK YOU.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
12. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 7, 2014, 14:28 Creston

Speaking of Mass Effect, Chris Schlerf (who? Dunno. Apparently he wrote HALO 4, so if someone played that, please chime in) is the lead writer for the next ME game (or trilogy, since there have been rumors that it'll be a new trilogy.)

No idea whether to be happy or not, since I have no idea whether the guy is any good or not. Mac Walters is at least no longer lead writer, but he is still creative director, so he can undoubtedly fuck more shit up.

71. Re: Ubisoft vs. Steam? Nov 7, 2014, 14:14 Creston

Verno wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 14:06:
I wonder if their not being on Steam for a bit had anything to do with this. "Helix Credits" what the hell? Is this yet another fake currency to buy with real dollars to spend on in game stuff? Bloody IAP.

I hope that's just something taken out of context.

Oh joy....

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous VR Impressions
23. Re: Elite: Dangerous VR Impressions Nov 7, 2014, 14:04 Creston

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 09:25:
Question for those of you with the OR:

How does it work with glasses? I'm not ashamed to admit that, in my old age, my eyesight has gotten worse and my lenses have gotten a bit thicker. If it's like other VR headgear that I've tried, they mash my glasses in to my face which isn't just uncomfortable but gives me a raging headache in a short amount of time.

I don't have one, but I've been following their news on it for awhile. They offer different lenses, essentially with different focal points and varying depths, to basically both try to offset the additional space you need on your face, and to help counter the fact that your stigmatism is different from someone with 20/20 vision.

However, the stronger your glasses / worse your vision or stigmatism, the less likely it is that they'll have a set of lenses that can help counter it. I imagine people with -0.5 to -5 (no idea if they even offer lenses to counter + strengths) or so should be okay, but beyond that it likely becomes a case of "if you're lucky."

66. Re: Ubisoft vs. Steam? Nov 7, 2014, 13:55 Creston

Primalchrome wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 13:43:
To bring it around...everyone I know...and probably everyone on this site have bought more games since Steam has been out. Yes, we're older and have more disposable income. The real drive behind the sales is convenience and pricing. Impulse buys. "I can't go wrong for $9.99" buys.

Very, very true. I've bought hundreds of games "because they were cheap."

On the flipside, even if/when the game industry goes full retard and thinks to permanently fuck me over with insane DRM / pay to win / nickle and dime horseshit schemes, I have enough games to easily last me another decade or two.

65. Re: Ubisoft vs. Steam? Nov 7, 2014, 13:52 Creston

Slashman wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 13:41:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 13:33:
Rattlehead wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 11:06:
Pirate bay all the way.

Don't be a douchenozzle.

Is "douchenozzle" copyrighted? Can I use that too?

Yes, I own it. But feel free to use it.

24511 Comments. 1226 pages. Viewing page 28.
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo