Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 25506 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

News Comments > Cities: Skylines Modding Diary
3. Re: Cities: Skylines Modding Diary Feb 25, 2015, 23:18 Creston

I got a 30% off coupon at GMG so I preordered this. Didn't really want to preorder, but there wasn't anything else coming out anytime soon to use that coupon on, and now I spent a grand total of $21. Hope it's good; fortunately all the videos have looked promising.

I wish the graphics were a bit nicer/sharper, but oh well. Maybe someone will do a high-res texture pack for it. Very glad to see them heavily supporting modding straight out of the box.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sid Meier's Starships Next Month
4. Re: Sid Meier's Starships Next Month Feb 25, 2015, 23:17 Creston

Krovven wrote on Feb 25, 2015, 21:34:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 25, 2015, 20:45:
Huh, that was fast. Seems like we just heard about this a month ago.

It's just too close to Beyond Earth's release. I'm not ready for a Civ game and Starships looks great. But for $15...yea I'm all over it.

Price point also keeps me thinking it's not "that" deep of a game and is more along the lines of Ace Patrol. The gameplay vid still however made it look really good.

PC gamer's preview today said there was still quite a bit of depth to it, even if it was a cheaper game.

I'm pretty interested in it, it looks pretty promising so far, and for $15...

News Comments > Spaceship Ahoy - Homeworld Remastered Collection
11. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Homeworld Remastered Collection Feb 25, 2015, 17:42 Creston

1badmf wrote on Feb 25, 2015, 17:30:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 25, 2015, 17:15:
It looks good, although probably not as good as if they'd re-done the entire thing from scratch. I ran through the tutorials just now, and it plays just like I remember. Have to make dinner and take care of the kids right now, but I'll be playing more later.

having never played this, is it an epic experience? or does the story fizzle to something predictable and boring? i watched scott manley's playthrough and it seems promising.

Honestly, I was never all that impressed with it (and judging by the love this game gets here, I'll probably get crucified for saying that.)

The story was decent, and it threw a few decent curveballs, but all in all it always felt to me like a massive grind fest. Quite a lot of the later maps you got into had monstrous chunks of enemy ships sitting there, so the only way to get through them that I ever found was to just grind through while suffering huge casualties, that would then take 15-20 minutes of resource collecting/building to replace. After several maps like that, I'd just get bored. I don't think I ever finished either game.

I know really good players were far more skilled with the tactical part of it than I was, so they were probably able to get through those battles easier/with fewer losses, but to me it was just "Send my big blue blob to their big red blob and watch the shitstorm."

Much was always made of the fact that it had full 3D, but it never really used that full 3D in any way. Yeah, you could attack stuff from above or below, but it seemed to make zero difference to anything, so why not just attack from the front? It also had a pretty clunky mechanic for selecting the 3rd axis that I found fiddly to deal with.

Also, IIRC, there wasn't really much to distinguish the ship types from one another. Every bigger class of ship just had more health and did more damage, but I don't believe they had specific uses or powers that allowed you to use them in various ways (I may be wrong about it, it's been ages since I played it.) It all just seemed like straight-up DPS, so to speak.

I'd still buy this, but not for the money they're charging. I'll pick it up when it's ten bucks, and then really only for the hope that someone will just make a BSG mod.

News Comments > DirectX 12 to Allow Multi-Vendor GPU Mixing?
31. Re: DirectX 12 to Allow Multi-Vendor GPU Mixing? Feb 25, 2015, 17:36 Creston

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 25, 2015, 13:29:
That's why it worked perfectly fine right? If it works fine, and people don't have a problem. And then they go out of their way to disable it, all that says is they threw a hissy fit. All they have to do in a support environment is say "we don't support that configuration and will offer no support on it." Problem solved.

Well... not really. The thing is, as an Nvidia support guy, you get a call saying "My GTX970 is giving me all these weird graphical artifacts in games!"

And you spend 2 hours having the guy reinstall drivers and taking out the card and blowing the fan clean etc before they finally admit "Oh yeah, I'm also running an AMD card in there, and its driver is two years out of date."

Everyone who calls for support lies about shit like that, so I can understand from a corporate perspective that disabling it from working is a much, much easier thing to do. (Also, it's Nvidia, who would much rather they were the only GFX manufacturer in the world, and who literally give zero fucks about their customers, so...)

News Comments > Gone Gold - Battlefield Hardline
24. Re: Gone Gold - Battlefield Hardline Feb 25, 2015, 14:40 Creston

theglaze wrote on Feb 25, 2015, 00:42:
It's for the dude bro's out there, like this guy, Hardline Drifting on his youtube channel.

If you can't make it pass the first 30 seconds, you're not EA's target audience.

BRO, SICK DRIFT BRO!

(Not really. Holy shit are those driving 'physics' terrible. They may genuinely be worse than Just Cause 2.)

This comment was edited on Feb 25, 2015, 14:47.

News Comments > Resident Evil Revelations 2 Released; Missing Co-op Complaints
9. Re: Resident Evil Revelations 2 Released; Missing Co-op Complaints Feb 25, 2015, 14:36 Creston

"Yeah we know we put this on the box and all, but really, fuck you guys."

Why people continued to buy Capcom products on the PC will be a subject of intense psychological debate decades down the line.

25. Re: DirectX 12 to Allow Multi-Vendor GPU Mixing? Feb 25, 2015, 14:33 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Feb 25, 2015, 12:33:
Creston wrote on Feb 25, 2015, 11:15:
I'll believe it when I see it, but it would be pretty awesome.

I think few devs would ever bother with putting in the work required, though, (even if it's not difficult) since it'd be a pretty rare occurrence where people are using a hybrid system like that.

I think a lot of people have extra vid cards hanging around they'd throw in their system if they thought they could get extra performance from it.

I don't think you really would gain anything. If you SLI or Crossfire a fast card with a slow card (if the drivers even allow it, I don't think they even do), you'd only run at the speed of the slowest card because otherwise one card would already be rendering the end credits while the other one is still working on the intermission cutscene.

Maybe DX12 will have some amazing magic in place that would just allow you to parallel boost performance like that, but this bit does not seem to indicate so: Lots of the optimization work for the spreading of workloads is left to the developers.

I really don't think this will wind up having much, if any, effect at all.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 25, 2015, 11:19 Creston

That power rangers short is awesome. I've never watched a second of power rangers but it wasn't that hard to pick up what was going on.  

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Feb 25, 2015, 11:18 Creston

Oh, joy...

12. Re: DirectX 12 to Allow Multi-Vendor GPU Mixing? Feb 25, 2015, 11:15 Creston

I'll believe it when I see it, but it would be pretty awesome.

I think few devs would ever bother with putting in the work required, though, (even if it's not difficult) since it'd be a pretty rare occurrence where people are using a hybrid system like that.

News Comments > Homeworld Remastered Collection Trailer & Mod Details
9. Re: Homeworld Remastered Collection Trailer & Mod Details Feb 24, 2015, 22:26 Creston

Krovven wrote on Feb 24, 2015, 19:23:
Creston wrote on Feb 24, 2015, 18:35:
I didn't realize this was gonna get full mod support. I wasn't super interested before, but that kinda changes things.

~ 3 months before a full Battlestar Galactica TC?

Yep. Was talked about in the PAX East video. Whether it was Gearbox or Blackbird, one of them have hired on a few of the longtime Homeworld modders to help with the Remastered release as well as improving mod support.

That's awesome. A game like this could/should/will(?) have some amazing mods for it.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 24, 2015, 18:38 Creston

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 24, 2015, 18:03:
When I get home I'll take a pic. It isn't like I can prove it's been on for that long to anyone but my family and perhaps some friends I've shown. I could put it on a 24/7 cam and stream it and then watch the next 5 years as no one tampers with it.

But at least you'll see the miraculous everlasting light, divine it is. I'm a believer!

www.seethelight.com is probably still available!

News Comments > Homeworld Remastered Collection Trailer & Mod Details
2. Re: Homeworld Remastered Collection Trailer & Mod Details Feb 24, 2015, 18:35 Creston

I didn't realize this was gonna get full mod support. I wasn't super interested before, but that kinda changes things.

~ 3 months before a full Battlestar Galactica TC?

News Comments > $386K Dying Light My Apocalypse Edition
2. Re: $386K Dying Light My Apocalypse Edition Feb 24, 2015, 18:34 Creston

Will it come with a day one patch, though?

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor DLC Released
11. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor DLC Released Feb 24, 2015, 15:53 Creston

harlock wrote on Feb 24, 2015, 14:43:
Creston wrote on Feb 24, 2015, 13:24:
I'm definitely going to wait for an All-In-One edition, but it's good to see them supporting it with story DLC rather than the usual "Here's anew skin lolz!" shit we get.

the main game was so short, this seems like the epitome of the pre-planned DLC bloat phenomena.. like they planned on making the full game only available through DLC..

so thats disappointing

i mean... the main game is ridiculously short dude

Now I'm going to wait twice as hard for the All-In-One version.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor DLC Released
5. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor DLC Released Feb 24, 2015, 13:24 Creston

I'm definitely going to wait for an All-In-One edition, but it's good to see them supporting it with story DLC rather than the usual "Here's anew skin lolz!" shit we get.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 24, 2015, 10:52 Creston

So they delay it for 3 more weeks, supposedly because a bit more time is needed to ensure that the game is as polished as possible, and to make certain that both Heists and the GTA Online experience are ready to roll out on day one for PC.

And then in the same announcement: "As always, we ask for the GTA PC community’s understanding and assistance in helping to report any concerns during the early days of launch when those inevitable initial teething issues arise on the new platform."

So which is it, Rockstar? Do you need 3 more weeks because you need to polish, or are you not polishing and expecting it to run like crap anyway?

Whatever, I've long since lost interest. I'll pick it up for 5 bucks at the Christmas sale.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
26. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 24, 2015, 10:22 Creston

PropheT wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 20:34:
Cronyism in tech is fucking rampant.

Absolutely. I'm sure there are sexist workplaces out there, but that's not specifically a tech issue. Tech / IT's problem is absolutely that it's all just cliques and good luck going anywhere if you aren't one of their suck-up buddies.

It's been that way at basically every IT department I've worked for, and that's been about 15 or so over the past 25 years.

It's not just women that aren't advancing in these places.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 24, 2015, 10:12 Creston

Harrison Ford speaks TRUTH.

News Comments > SteamVR Hardware Reveal Next Week
19. Re: SteamVR Hardware Reveal Next Week Feb 23, 2015, 22:42 Creston

I thought they'd said they weren't going to do a VR headset anymore, and instead were just going to focus on like an API?

25506 Comments. 1276 pages. Viewing page 28.
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo