Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 23848 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Here's what companies said about Comcast-TWC merger Aug 28, 2014, 18:17 Creston

Here's what Comcast themselves said about the merger: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Here's what the FCC heard: $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Interviews
53. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 28, 2014, 18:02 Creston

Oh Joss Whedon. If only we'd all gotten a nickle every time Buffy showed her bra straps.

And Dollhouse was, of course, totally just about empowering females. I finally stopped watching it at work because of the stuff he made Eliza Dushku wear. (pleasant to watch, for sure, but pretty darn titillating.)

News Comments > Op Ed
27. Re: Op Ed Aug 28, 2014, 17:53 Creston

I agreed with Sarkeesian (spelling?)'s video, up until she started talking about how in open world games, you can beat up women and stash them in trunks and shoot them etc etc etc, and never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever EVER actually mentions that you can do the exact same thing to male NPCs. So is the game still purely anti-woman then, or is it just a morally bankrupt playground for those of us who understand that we are playing a GAME with no basis in reality?

All I was waiting for was for her to say "Btw, you can do all these things to male characters too. But back to my point."

Never happened, at least not for the first 85% of it that I watched. It's easy to paint a one-sided picture if you're selectively picking and choosing what footage to show.

All that said, the threats against her are fucking insane and the people who make these threats really need to just get a nice happy case of fucking scurvey.

News Comments > Last Chance at Some GOG.com Games
18. Re: Last Chance at Some GOG.com Games Aug 28, 2014, 17:47 Creston

Orogogus wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 17:11:
Is this something that you actually believe? Like, our prices are higher just so Russia/Ukraine can get lower prices? That seems extremely unlikely.

Microsoft has basically admitted that it charges more for Windows and Office in Western (ie, Rich) countries, so that they can offer it virtually for free in China and the like. There have been some indications in that direction for other software as well.

They (the price setters) claim they have to price it so low because of the rampant piracy, but that still seems a shitty reason for us to get higher prices. Because here's the thing, if you can sell the game for 15 bucks (equivalent) in Russia and still make a profit on it, why am I pay 60 fucking dollars? And why are people in Australia paying nearly 100? If you can make a profit on 15 bucks, why can't I buy a copy for 15 bucks?

It seems to me that publishers are in a no-win situation. If Russia gets an appropriate price one group bitches, and if not then the Russian consumers will just apply the same logic that Western consumers did for music -- the publisher doesn't care to offer goods at a reasonable price so it's inevitable that everyone will just pirate it.

And if that's how they treat it, I'll bitch at them for it. I'm not their fucking wallet.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2014, 17:42 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 16:08:
Hey Guys,

Just got hit with a virus from Blues. Went to this page, and immediately Symantec came up with an interception (I don't think there's anything wrong with that page. Subsequent visits returned nothing. I think it was random, via the ad banner). When I looked at the page, I could see that the top banner was missing completely, so the ad must have been replaced with the download code vector. It tried to download setup.exe. Virus info via Symantec Endpoint here.

Eek, thanks for the warning, buddy!

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
19. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 28, 2014, 17:34 Creston

Prez wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 17:15:
Verno wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 12:20:
Prez wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 12:03:
Screw arguing over diction and spelling, Apple got smacked down in court again! In your face, Apple! Suck it down!!!!

In proper English its actually Sucke it down ye olde Apple, sorry for your mistake.

LOL!

(Not sure how you say "LOL" in "Ye Ole English)

You say "Verily, such mirth of grand fashion! Guffaw!"

This comment was edited on Aug 28, 2014, 17:40.

News Comments > etc.
10. Re: etc. Aug 28, 2014, 17:29 Creston

Cutter wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 16:55:
Again, this militarization of police needs to stop. And this sort of shit needs to be vetted. You can't have cops violating peoples civil rights just because they received an anonymous phone call. It's like they love doing this because it then allows them to rationalize these sorts of escalations and violations and demand bigger budgets all around when they're not needed to begin with. I hope this guy sues the shit out of them and wins big. Putting a crimp in city budgets through lawsuits seems to be the only way reform is going to happen these days.

Sue them for what? A bomb threat falls under Exigent circumstance.

SWAT got a bomb threat called in. If the threat is deemed believable, they have to act on it. Otherwise they'd stand around trying to figure out if something is real or not, and another Oklahoma City (potentially) happens.

Other than them talking tough, they made him get on the ground, detained him, and put him in handcuffs. They didn't hurt him, they didn't use excessive force or nothing. Once they saw there was no actual bomb threat, I believe he was released.

SWAT did what it's supposed to do. The asshole who called in a prank threat for the lulz should be the one to get sued and to go away for some serious amount of time. Sadly, the little shitbag doesn't seem to be in the US, so he's probably from some dipshit regime where they just smile sheepishly and go "kids these days. hahaha."

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. Aug 28, 2014, 17:26 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 16:22:
1. Prison sentencing reform is a serious issue. I abhor swatting and those that do it, but 30 years doesn't fit the crime. Swartz was threatened with 35 years for sharing docs. It's a problem, given that the USA has the world's largest prison population.

2. Prison rape is not a joking matter. If you're convicted you should server your time, not be subjected to cruel and unusual punishment too. Most swatters are kids that don't know better. Ruining their lives forever due to a prank is too much, serious though that prank may be.

That "prank" of yours is going to lead to someone one day getting shot by an on-edge swat team who think they're going in to stop someone with a bomb. Then what? Still give them a year in minsec and a swat on the fingers?

Fuck that noise.

Also, prison rape actually really doesn't happen anywhere except in Hollywood movies.

18. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 28, 2014, 17:24 Creston

Cutter wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 14:50:
Oh, I don't know what the big deal is. I've been in more than a few oval orifices myself.

That hole in your backyard fence doesn't count.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2014, 14:52 Creston

Pigeon wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 11:33:
Verno wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 10:55:
Quitting smoking was one of the best decisions I made in my life awhile ago. It opened up so many other things, I started mountain climbing, biking and being able to actually taste food again was wonderful.

I whenever I see TV Chefs smoking, it makes me wonder how good their food could actually be. I tend to assume they over season (i.e. a half pound of salt), because that's the only way they can taste stuff.

They do. Have you ever watched Chopped? Half their judges are CONSTANTLY bitching that shit 'needs more salt.' Guarnachelli recently complained that fucking ICE CREAM needed more salt.

The fact that she has completely burned away her taste buds with all the Umami she's eating to the point where salt is the only thing she can taste anymore has apparently never occured to her.

I'd bet that if they couldn't see their contestants put all the ingredients in, their tasting at the end of a round where they go "Hmmm, I can really taste the star anise and the cloves! Such a bold flavor profile!" would be exposed for the sham it is, because they'd have no clue what anything tasted like except fucking SALT.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2014, 14:49 Creston

Verno wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 10:55:
Quitting smoking was one of the best decisions I made in my life awhile ago. It opened up so many other things, I started mountain climbing, biking and being able to actually taste food again was wonderful.

People who were around you frequently probably also enjoyed it.

It never ceases to amaze me that smokers have no idea just how badly they STINK. There's this 10 foot bubble around them that just smells like a charnel house.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2014, 14:40 Creston

Cutter wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 14:31:
Hey gang, Amazon's End of Summer Sale is on from now until September 1st! Get 'em while they're hot!

And don't forget to click through Blue's link at the bottom of the main page, so he gets a cut!

14. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 28, 2014, 14:38 Creston

Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 12:04:
Creston wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 11:58:

Well, pip pip there guv'nor! Would you mind terribly explaining yourself, perchance over some tea and light refreshments? I shall not stand for you sullying the good Queen's language!

As long as you promise not to serve those nasty cucumber sandwiches!

Vegetarian Toad in the Hole, me bugger! And scones, of course! Shan't forget the Scones!

15. Re: Last Chance at Some GOG.com Games Aug 28, 2014, 14:36 Creston

Orogogus wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 23:23:
Something I've never understood -- does the term regional pricing apply only to US/EUR/JAP, or is there some other formula that determines how much the price is allowed to vary? If I go to steamprices.com, I see that Witcher 3 preorders are $60 US, 40 and 50. The UK & EU prices are apparently about 20% higher than the US, but okay, that might be within the plus/minus of currency fluctuations. But the Russian price is the equivalent of $17.45.

How does a stance against regional pricing translate into the ultra-low territories like Russia? It seems like they still get regional pricing.

GOG is trying to get publishers to stop this asinine price difference bullshit, but they're small fry, so it's not as if it's having much success. They've said that if they can't get the price to be the same, they'll eat the difference themselves, which in the case of Australian prices may mean they take a pretty big loss on selling that game.

Obviously, since Russia is getting it so much cheaper than everyone else, GOG doesn't have to price match with the US price. And, of course, Witcher 3 is their own game, so they can sell it for whatever the hell they want to.

Also, why does Russia get it so much cheaper than everyone else? Why, because the rest of us are funding their lower prices! Yay publishers!

14. Re: Last Chance at Some GOG.com Games Aug 28, 2014, 14:31 Creston

walrus1 wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 21:04:
Anyone think GOG is making a piss poor decisions regarding their future? I mean movies sales and abandoning some classic games? If they give up game sales, which is where they appear to be headed, they won't last long.

If the publisher says "You can no longer sell my games", or "You can only sell my games under these conditions" that go against your own policies, as a digital store you have several options:

1) stop selling the games
2) continue selling the games without the condition and get sued out of business.

This isn't GOG going "well, let's stop selling these random 35 games!" This is just a publisher deciding to be even more moronic cunts than usual.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Aug 28, 2014, 13:58 Creston

Calling swat on someone for shits and giggles should be thirty years in the federal pen.

Because these swat guys are coming in on a bomb threat, and they are high strung to hell; you make one bad or suspicious move and they'll end you right then and there.

Such lulz. So the asshole who did it, @screwpain, hope you enjoy getting assraped for a large portion of the rest of your life. Miserable piece of shit.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2014, 13:55 Creston

Edit: NM, Blue already posted that.

News Comments > CCP Closing SF Office
3. Re: CCP Closing SF Office Aug 28, 2014, 12:02 Creston

Wow, they fired a marketoid?? Unbelievable. What's the world coming to.

News Comments > New Quake Live Ruleset Courts New Players
12. Re: New Quake Live Ruleset Courts New Players Aug 28, 2014, 12:00 Creston

Making bunny hopping automatic is retarded. I have no problem with bunny hopping, but at least in the old fashion it's somewhat of a skill. Now it's just "hold forward and space."

I give this decision five dismissive bunny hops.

8. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 28, 2014, 11:58 Creston

Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 11:54:
and our usage of the language is much more direct in its meaning.

Well, pip pip there guv'nor! Would you mind terribly explaining yourself, perchance over some tea and light refreshments? I shall not stand for you sullying the good Queen's language!

23848 Comments. 1193 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo