Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 26532 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
24. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 27, 2015, 14:00 Creston

harlock wrote on Oct 26, 2015, 23:09:
Creston wrote on Oct 26, 2015, 22:56:
harlock wrote on Oct 26, 2015, 21:52:
dude that multi-adapter shit is whats up... fuck yeh, i was beginning to think DX12 was vaporware

That's definitely a great feature. Might be some use for my 'old' GTX660ti yet.

I think it requires every game to be specifically programmed to allow multi-GPU rendering though? Or does DX12 do all that?

yes the game must support it .. its not a native dx12 feature...

but if it kicks lots of ass, then everyone will want to do it - so...

Yes, I just think that most devs won't spend too much time on it, at least until such a time that Windows 10 becomes more prevalent.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
26. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2015, 13:30 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 12:32:
“Needless to say, I was rooting for the Empire from the first moment,” the Weekly Standard editor tweeted Tuesday. “It was a benevolent liberal empire, after all…[There is] no objective evidence [the] Empire was ‘evil.’ A liberal regime [with] meritocracy, upward mobility. Neocon/reformicon in spirit.”

I sure hope that guy was joking. No evidence the empire was evil? Really? Blowing up Alderaan wasn't good enough? Abolishing the Republic? The murder of Owen and Beru? The slaughter of the Jawas?

24. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2015, 13:21 Creston

KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF MY BACON AND MEATS, YOU DAMNED VEGANS!!! Shakefist

News Comments > Fallout 4 Preload Plans
28. Re: Fallout 4 Preload Plans Oct 27, 2015, 13:02 Creston

Kosumo wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 04:01:
A Fallout 4 size game I would think would cost $45 - $70 million to make plus marketing* (just a guess, what do other think?)

I think I read somewhere that Skyrim cost them in the vicinity of 80-90 million to make. I'd guess that FO4 costs more, but on the flipside, they appear to be reusing a LOT of textures from FO3, and most of the engine changes etc were all done for Skyrim. (then again, FO4 is now 64 bit only, which probably required some substantial work.)

All in all, I think you're on the very low end. I'd be surprised if it cost less than Skyrim, and then all the marketing etc will probably jack the price up to 200 million.

But they'll make that back in a week. All the nerds at my work talk about nothing else.

12. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 26, 2015, 22:56 Creston

harlock wrote on Oct 26, 2015, 21:52:
dude that multi-adapter shit is whats up... fuck yeh, i was beginning to think DX12 was vaporware

That's definitely a great feature. Might be some use for my 'old' GTX660ti yet.

I think it requires every game to be specifically programmed to allow multi-GPU rendering though? Or does DX12 do all that?

14. Re: Fallout 4 Preload Plans Oct 26, 2015, 22:53 Creston

harlock wrote on Oct 26, 2015, 20:45:
of course nothing is black and white.. i knew witcher would come up and yeh thats a great game, num 3 was amazing - but honestly i consider those games in their own category since you are role-playing a deeply established character

my main point is the technical level of achievement in F2 has really not been surpassed, and only a few games come close - and again, its not perfect - but there is a particular blend of many many choices all interacting together, in terms of (especially) dialog, characterization, play style, and the open endedness of it all

it really was a high water mark, ive played them again recently and this is no nostalgic bullshit - those games had a shitload of work poured into them - and they were made for nerds, not brosters and console kiddies, so there was no dumbing down, no hand holding, and no fear of presenting the player with a lot of complexity or difficulty

and actually another one of these high water marks that has never been surpassed is Jagged Alliance 2... same deal, play it today and you will understand

of course if you cant deal with "shitty graphics" or whatever then none of this makes sense anyways... and honestly im not interested in a debate, im not looking to convince anyone of anything... make up your own minds, fucking live it up while you can

Nah, it's nothing to do with shitty graphics. At the time they came out, Fallout actually looked pretty damn great, and they were great RPGs. But even back then, sadly, they just didn't really draw much of an audience. No idea if it was because they were too hardcore/difficult, or the isometric viewpoint just didn't resonate with people, or what.

I liked JA2. I think Alpha Protocol, despite having pretty bad gameplay sections, did a great job at really tying things together as well. But neither one of those sold well either. :\

I think there's still a market for games like that, but it'll have to come through smaller projects like Kickstarters. No publisher really seems to want to cough up the cash for something like them.

So with all that said, I don't blame Bethesda for turning Fallout into what it is now, and I'm kinda glad they did, because it's led to some excellent games. But yeah, it's more of an RPG-lite now than anything really at the top of the RPG genre.

This comment was edited on Oct 26, 2015, 23:24.

6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 26, 2015, 20:29 Creston

What went wrong? Oh, I dunno. Maybe because it was a movie about a guy who was a total fucking asshole?

The picture cost $30 million to make and at least as much to market. That means that “Steve Jobs” needs to do at least $120 million in order to break even.

Maths be hard.

This comment was edited on Oct 26, 2015, 20:34.

7. Re: Fallout 4 Preload Plans Oct 26, 2015, 20:27 Creston

harlock wrote on Oct 26, 2015, 19:21:
i have near zero interest in this.. which is a shame considering its in the Fallout series and i fucking loved that damn game when it came out.. it was like "WOW NEW RPG GAMES ARE GOING TO BE SO AWESOME NOW!!!"

yeh, so it didnt quite work out like that... as always, money ruins everything

I don't think that's really true. Not all RPGs have turned out the way of the old Fallout, but there's plenty of really good RPGs still. Witcher 3 is an obvious one that comes to mind.

And the sad reality is that Fallout 1 and 2 sold very poorly. Other than a Kickstarter, we'd have never seen a sequel to it in their vein.

News Comments > Another Steam User Record
35. Re: Another Steam User Record Oct 26, 2015, 18:56 Creston

Krovven wrote on Oct 26, 2015, 16:03:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Oct 26, 2015, 15:42:
I'm amazed at how bad the Steam app performs after all of these years. The app still has huge issues refreshing data in the views, responsiveness is terrible, authentication breaks all the time, etc.

The steam app is just a glorified web app that can manage installations and a streaming server. I think a web app is the right way to go, but it's just implemented poorly. They should be using a reactive interface that handles state change better. It also looks like the app's caching isn't great because it takes too goddam long for content to refresh.

Anyway, I still use the hell out of Steam. I follow many forums and engage quite a bit, but it's a terrible web app. Even the new iOS release is just horrible. Valve has this internal structure where the employees to whatever the hell they want... I can't believe no one with any ability has taking up the charge to modernize this POS app.

Can't say I've had these problems. What do you mean by authentication breaks all the time? Steam isn't slow or unresponsive for me, quite the opposite.

I used to have major problems with it. Starting a game would take like a minute or more, where it'd just sit there spinning, doing their authentication check.

That went away when they switched to whatever new authentication system they came up with, though.

14. Re: my spaceship knows which way to go Oct 26, 2015, 15:45 Creston

nin wrote on Oct 25, 2015, 20:46:
Still...it's new Bowie. I gotta have it.

Will he be in space though?

News Comments > PAYDAY 2 Microtransactions Follow-up
10. Re: PAYDAY 2 Microtransactions Follow-up Oct 26, 2015, 15:33 Creston

the tl;dr version:

- We said no microtransactions.
- We're having to put the game on sale from time to time to pay our employees.
- We lowered the cost on several items to try to bring in more money to pay our employees.
- None of this worked, so we decided to triple the size of our team.
- ?
- No, really. We weren't making enough money to pay everyone, so we decided to triple the size of our team.
- ????
- Stop looking at us like that!
- Oh... now we need to make even more money to pay all our employees.
- So, microtransactions?
- Microtransactions.
- We know we said we weren't going to do them, but...
- None of you like them, but apparently a lot of you are buying them, because we're making more money.
- PROFIT! See?! We're geniuses!

really tl;dr version

We're indie devs. Pity us.

This comment was edited on Oct 26, 2015, 15:40.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
16. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 26, 2015, 15:23 Creston

The thing that worries me about that article is the whole "devs and publishers are now looking for ways to make their games twitch friendly."

As long as that stuff remains separated / entirely optional, great, but how long until it no longer IS separated / entirely optional?

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Rerelease Wednesday
24. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Rerelease Wednesday Oct 26, 2015, 15:18 Creston

LiTh wrote on Oct 25, 2015, 20:19:
Have textures over 3.5gb of ram?

Too soon?

Cry

TOO SOON, DAMMIT!!!

(still a fantastic card. )

News Comments > etc.
2. Why we like loot Oct 25, 2015, 16:45 Creston

"People talk about Borderlands and the loot drops for the different weapons. That kind of mechanic proves to be one of the most powerful in terms of reinforcing and persisting in a particular behaviour, [because] it involves the combination of a person having tension and anticipation and the hope that there's going to be something great dropped this time. More often than not In Borderlands, it doesn't get fulfilled. Ever. Seriously, a black hole drops more loot than Vanilla Borderlands 2. It's fucking ridiculous."

News Comments > Spore Servers Return
2. Re: Spore Servers Return Oct 25, 2015, 16:40 Creston

EA... keeping servers up?

THE END IS NIGH!

Kidding aside, kudos for keeping that shit running.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Rerelease Wednesday
4. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Rerelease Wednesday Oct 25, 2015, 16:17 Creston

Now, get out there and Be The Batman!

When the game reaches 5 bucks, I will.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2015, 11:52 Creston

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 24, 2015, 11:02:
I haven't yet forgiven baseball for the '94 strike.. so it gets VERY little of my attention, but it's nice to see some new blood in the WS.

Holy shit, dude, let it go. :p

8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2015, 11:51 Creston

The game last night was amazing. Best game of this post-season yet.  

7. Question about the Amazon link Oct 24, 2015, 11:51 Creston

Hey Blue,

Lately I keep forgetting to follow your banner to Amazon when I go buy something, and only ever remember after it's already been delivered.

I'm not sure if this is technically feasible or not, but is it possible for you to create an auto-forwarding page (to Amazon) off your own domain, that installs the cookie? So say there'd be a page called

www.bluesnews.com/amazonfwd

and if you go to that page, you automatically get taken to Amazon with that banner cookie in place?

I want to make sure you get some money off my amazon purchases, I just keep forgetting to go by here to click the link...

Just an idea.

Thanks!

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Trailer
18. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Trailer Oct 24, 2015, 11:47 Creston

Btw, the soundtrack in this video sounds AWEEESSOOOMMMEEEE!

26532 Comments. 1327 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo