Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 25288 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 29, 2015, 10:37 Creston

Because Elon Musk is on the case, Bill!

Oh, he actually says that himself. I did like this part, though:

First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though, the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don't understand why some people are not concerned.

Well, because I'm more concerned with making sure I have enough money to pay all my bills and keep food on my table. And whether the place I work for is going to survive the current oil prices.

The idea whether AI is going to kill me three decades from now is not really high on my list of immediate things to worry about. I guess when you're a billionaire that is the only left to freak out about.

This comment was edited on Jan 29, 2015, 10:46.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Heroes of Might & Magic III – HD Edition
4. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Heroes of Might & Magic III – HD Edition Jan 29, 2015, 10:35 Creston

The game industry sees how much money Hollywood is making by just rehashing/rebooting old movies and is like "Hey! We can do that too!"

The Age Of The HD Remake.

News Comments > Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy Remastered Tomorrow
12. Re: Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy Remastered Tomorrow Jan 28, 2015, 23:53 Creston

This game made the unforgivable design decision to force you to focus on not one, but TWO different sets of QTEs at the same time, all while really cool shit was happening on screen—really cool shit that you never got to see, because you had to keep fucking around with the stupid QTEs. My wife, who watched me play it for awhile, said that especially the "escape from demons in the office area" was really cool to see. Me? Never saw a glimpse of it.

The story was actually cool, but holy shit was the game design behind it fucking terrible. Do yourself a favor, watch someone just play through this on Youtube. It'll be FAR less aggravating. Unless you happen to be one of those rare souls that likes QTEs (I imagine a few exist, after all, why else would devs keep putting fucking QTEs in games??), in which case this game will be your own personal nirvana.

News Comments > The Crew Street Edition Pack DLC
3. Re: The Crew Street Edition Pack DLC Jan 28, 2015, 11:03 Creston

Hehe, yeah. Everyone who knows Aston Martin and sees the Fusion for the first goes "Hey, an Aston!"

Then when you realize it's a Ford, it's just

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 28, 2015, 10:59 Creston

Of course not. Even shitty cops apparently can no longer do anything wrong. (Yes, I know he's no longer employed by the CHP, but that's probably solely and alone because he quit. I seriously doubt he'd have been fired.)

Steal shit, kill a guy, confiscate people's property because you think there's been a crime committed with it, it's all good. Bow to your government overlords.

News Comments > Star Citizen Persistent Universe Presentation; Funding Hits $71M
3. Re: Star Citizen Persistent Universe Presentation; Funding Hits $71M Jan 28, 2015, 10:58 Creston

nin wrote on Jan 28, 2015, 10:30:
Is there a special salute that's required for "the Chairman"?

Not yet.

News Comments > Ken Levine's Sci-Fi PC Game Plans
17. Re: Ken Levine's Sci-Fi PC Game Plans Jan 28, 2015, 10:56 Creston

Orogogus wrote on Jan 28, 2015, 06:05:
I don't know if you're the same person I pick on every time, but it annoys me when people say "System Shock" when they're clearly only referring to System Shock 2. It's like they never even played the first game, and are just assuming it was like the sequel. I liked the first game a lot better, but System Shock didn't really have RPG elements, customization or choices. It did have open levels, ones which really put both System Shock 2 and Bioshock to shame.

:Applause:

System Shock 2 was a great game, but it kind of pales next to the original, IMO. Someone on Origin's forum once said that the first System Shock is Die Hard on a space station, and I always felt that was extremely apt. In System Shock, you're constantly running to stop SHODAN's next insane plan, and you constantly feel harried and scared. In comparison, SS2 is kind of a casual jaunt through a scary ship. Still a great game, but not as good as the first.

And I'm not sure I'd classify System Shock's level as really being that open anyway. The 7th or 8th map (I forget which it was), for example, is basically a linear jaunt through several levels worth crew quarters, based around several elevators that you keep switching between. It's an incredible map to play, but there's only one way to get through it.

Each map in the first shock was awesome, though. Very atmospheric and creepy, and well thought out, as if the whole thing actually was a giant space station.

I wish someone would just redo a modern System Shock. Same game, just modernized. I'd pay $100 on Kickstarter for that.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 28, 2015, 10:49 Creston

The sooner Flash dies, the better. What a piece of shit.

As for stealing jokes online, everything gets stolen online. I've had work of mine stolen online. There's not a whole lot you can do about it, so most everyone just shrugs and ignores it.

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Key Revocation Follow-ups
11. Re: Far Cry 4 Key Revocation Follow-ups Jan 28, 2015, 10:45 Creston

Kajetan wrote on Jan 28, 2015, 10:42:
2. Because it WISE to not hurt your customers. As i remember Adobe once contacted several hundred customers with "counterfeit" serials and offered them legit ones for free. Adobe came out as the good guy, it was perfect PR story, costing them nearly nothing.

This. 100000 times this.

News Comments > Star Citizen Persistent Universe Presentation; Funding Hits $71M
1. Re: Star Citizen Persistent Universe Presentation; Funding Hits $71M Jan 28, 2015, 10:25 Creston

<3 Tony Zurovec. Good to see him still kicking in the game industry.

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Key Revocation Follow-ups
6. Re: Far Cry 4 Key Revocation Follow-ups Jan 28, 2015, 10:23 Creston

It's a giant Dick Move by Ubisoft, but that's par for the course for them now.

How about you contact customers first, explain the situation to them, and offer to let them legitimize their key for a token amount, say, 5 bucks, and give them a free DLC to make up for it. It wouldn't cost Ubisoft a dime, because none of the people whose key they took away are going to buy the DLC to begin with.

Now all they've done is antagonize a large amount of gamers against them. Just when they'd won their way back into PC Gaming's good graces. Great move here, Ubisoft. And for what? Did you really think all these people were just going to go "Oh well. guess I'll buy the game again?"

I guess maybe they're jealous of EA winning the "Asshole of the Year" award twice in a row, and want to put in their own bid. If so, they've certainly been on a roll.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
5. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 27, 2015, 22:01 Creston

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jan 27, 2015, 19:57:
I guess this is the game for people who've never apprenticed. What a damned awful job, mainly made by damned awful people.

The sim itself is pretty decent, actually. Too easy, but it was fun for the 3.50 or so that I bought it for.

9. Re: Ken Levine's Sci-Fi PC Game Plans Jan 27, 2015, 21:59 Creston

Squirmer wrote on Jan 27, 2015, 19:31:
The dude had a shot at System Shock and made Bioshock. Why do you want him involved?

I thought Bioshock was pretty awesome actually.

News Comments > The Crew Street Edition Pack DLC
1. Re: The Crew Street Edition Pack DLC Jan 27, 2015, 17:46 Creston

2015 Mustang FO LIFE!  

1. Re: Ken Levine's Sci-Fi PC Game Plans Jan 27, 2015, 17:45 Creston

SYSTEM SHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCK!

please?

News Comments > Gearbox Recruiting for "Next Borderlands"
25. Re: Gearbox Recruiting for Jan 27, 2015, 16:34 Creston

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 14:18:
For some reason with gamers on forums, generally speaking, you aren't allowed to pump out a game in a series too fast, even if many others want more. Why? I don't know, that is just how they is. There needs to be this magical barrier of time which I find around 2-3 years before it is accepted by critics as "ok".

How many examples of shorter development time leading to worse sequels do you need? Because I can probably come up with a metric assload of them.

Here's two excellent ones: Dragon Age 2. KOTOR 2. Had they been given that "magical barrier of time", I doubt anyone would argue that both those games would have been a heckuva lot better.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
12. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 27, 2015, 15:47 Creston

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 22:45:
That includes that 512MB of VRAM being crippled, but still usable.

Technically it's not really crippled. Put it this way, the 980 has 8 memory pipelines which can each handle 512MB of memory, hence 4GB. The 970, in the typical "Well, it's the same card, but we have to justify the $200 increase on the 980 SOMEHOW!" fashion, only has 7 of those memory pipelines.

If they used the entire pool of 4GB memory all the time (ie, make it available), that means that one pipeline would effectively have to handle double the workload, meaning the card would constantly be slowed down. So instead they divided up the memory into two pools, a 3.5GB pool, handled by the 7 memory controllers, and one extra 0.5GB pool that only comes into play when it's absolutely necessary. If and when it does, it does cause some extra slowdowns, but in 99% of your average gaming, you'll never notice it.

I'll argue all day that they were stupid to remove that memory pipeline, but other than that it seems like a reasonably smart engineering solution. I've yet to play a game that used all 4GB of my VRAM, and it doesn't look like there's much on the horizon that will use it.

So yes, compared to the 980, sure, there's something going on. That being that it's a 200 dollars cheaper card and yet people seem to expect it to perform like the 980 anyway?

I do think that Nvidia should have been upfront about this, though. It sucks to have to learn about this through a few entepreneurial fellas fiddling with some benchmark tools.

News Comments > Dying Light Dawns
13. Re: Dying Light Dawns Jan 27, 2015, 15:37 Creston

jomisab wrote on Jan 27, 2015, 14:30:
They also said that gamers just have to stop all the pre-ordering. We only have ourselves to blame for games being released half-assed.

Yep.

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Hurk DLC Released
1. Re: Far Cry 4 Hurk DLC Released Jan 27, 2015, 11:30 Creston

"Buy it now, we'll revoke it tomorrow!"  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 27, 2015, 11:23 Creston

"Sir! Sir! Wikileaks is furious at us!"

"Who?"

25288 Comments. 1265 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo