Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 22100 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2014, 11:15 Creston

By the way, for the record, I don't think HFC is worse for you than sugar

It is, though.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Minecraft Movie Plans
11. Re: Minecraft Movie Plans Feb 28, 2014, 11:12 Creston

This gets a tentative three dismissive wanks.  

News Comments > Evening Interviews
1. Re: Evening Interviews Feb 27, 2014, 18:35 Creston

Q: On the publishing side, it's quite trendy to skip the publisher partnerships these days and go it alone, what value do publishers still hold for you?

David Braben: Well, the very fact that something is trendy is often a bad sign in this sort of industry because it means you're following the crowd.

I TOTALLY did not do that when I went to Kickstarter, of course! Everyone else was following the crowd, whereas I was bravely leading the way!

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 27, 2014, 18:23 Creston

I do like how DirectX, and most especially D3D has been virtually stagnant, and now that there's an alternative, BOOM, "come listen to our plans for the D3D API and how it will be awesome!"

It's very similar to Time Warner suddenly being able to upgrade their customers' relatively shitty speeds in Austin now that Google Fiber is being rolled out.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2014, 18:06 Creston

Yosemite Sam wrote on Feb 27, 2014, 16:59:
Creston wrote on Feb 27, 2014, 14:59:
nin wrote on Feb 27, 2014, 14:10:
Creston wrote on Feb 27, 2014, 14:09:
This is pretty much the only reason why there aren't these kinds of things already. NASA would LOVE to have a Hubble-type telescope somewhere beyond Earth orbit, but it simply can't get the thing there.

YET!

Well, yeah. But with current rocket technology it's simply impossible, so until someone invents something new, it'll remain wishful thinking.

It's not impossible and is in fact already being done as the James Webb telescope is going to be put into what's called an L2 orbit which is 4X the distance to the Moon... oh and the James Webb telescope is way bigger then Hubble.

Hubble vs James Webb

I was talking about the original idea of having telescopes in orbit around other solar bodies.

As for whether it'd be useful or not to have a telescope further out, eh, I could see the use in it. Different angles, not having the Oort Cloud in the way of some stuff you're trying to look at, being closer to the Helioshock, etc. It'd be way too expensive (ignoring the impossible factor) for NASA (or NSA or China) to really attempt it, I would think.

Yosemite Sam wrote on Feb 27, 2014, 16:43:
but I think their main priority should be to find a better way into orbit... IMO a moon base at this point is, ahhh, pointless

Until that technology ever gets invented, the only way we're ever going to get big stuff out of earth orbit at a reasonable cost is by assembling it outside of the depth of Earth's gravity well. While theoretically we could do it at the ISS, the zero gravity element makes that extremely time consuming and fraught with the potential for mistakes in areas where you don't want mistakes to be made.

Building stuff on the moon, where there IS gravity, would alleviate many of those concerns, but on the flipside, it's just too costly. A moonbase would eat NASA's budget 25 times over.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2014, 16:34 Creston

nin wrote on Feb 27, 2014, 15:02:
I saw something on /., I think it was yesterday, about people still kicking around the idea of space elevators. It sounds crazy, but who knows. The things we do today would literally seem impossible 100 years ago.

That would at least overcome the problem of getting out of Earth's gravity well, but of course we also have no material capable of sustaining said space elevator so that it doesn't buckle under its own weight, and no way of actually building it.

A more promising idea is to actually build a moonbase and to start assembling stuff there to take it further into the solar system, which I think is what we'll eventually wind up doing.

But the cost associated with creating and operating a permanent moonbase is truly ludicrous—we're talking trillions of dollars—so if/when this ever gets done, it'll need to be done by Earth as a whole, not by a single nation.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2014, 16:31 Creston

Cutter wrote on Feb 27, 2014, 15:35:
Looks like this one got missed....

Scania Truck Driving Simulator

Didn't even know this was in the works. Only 1 review for it so far and it's quite positive. I wonder if this is idicative of the upcoming 1.9 patch for ETS2. Media looks pretty sweet. I'll be grabbing this soon. Meantime Creston should take the plunge first and let us know.

I thought STS was the game they made before they did ETS2? So there's no real point in getting it, to be honest.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2014, 14:59 Creston

nin wrote on Feb 27, 2014, 14:10:
Creston wrote on Feb 27, 2014, 14:09:
This is pretty much the only reason why there aren't these kinds of things already. NASA would LOVE to have a Hubble-type telescope somewhere beyond Earth orbit, but it simply can't get the thing there.

YET!

Well, yeah. But with current rocket technology it's simply impossible, so until someone invents something new, it'll remain wishful thinking.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2014, 14:09 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Feb 27, 2014, 13:19:
There should be Curiosity-style rovers on Titan, Europa, and Ceres. Jupiter and Saturn should be orbited by a Hubble sized telescopes. Cassini sized probes should be orbiting Neptune, Uranus, and Venus.

Until we develop either anti-gravity, or some kind of chemical reaction more volatile than hydrogen-oxygen, the tyranny of rocket science makes these things impossible.

In short: The mass is too large for us to be able to send up enough fuel to send these things:

A) into orbit
B) break earth gravity and get to destination
C) decelerate and attain stable orbit around another celestial body.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2014, 11:35 Creston

Great article about potentially saving the Columbia. Very much worth a read.  

News Comments > Gone Gold - Titanfall
12. Re: Gone Gold - Titanfall Feb 27, 2014, 11:23 Creston

If a picture was worth a thousand pixels, maybe they could get to 1080P!

*badum psssshhh*

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
21. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 27, 2014, 11:20 Creston

Well of course it isn't. Is anyone still surprised about that decrepit piece of shit not having the power to do anything?  

News Comments > Grim Dawn Early Access Gets Act II
4. Re: Grim Dawn Early Access Gets Act II Feb 27, 2014, 11:18 Creston

Optional nickname wrote on Feb 27, 2014, 11:07:
great timing! looks like I'll be playing this instead of D3 vfuckyoufans2.01

That's not entirely accurate. It's D3 Vpleasecomebackwe'vechangedpleaseplease2.01.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Shadowrun: Dragonfall
4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Shadowrun: Dragonfall Feb 27, 2014, 11:17 Creston

Woooooooooooo!

News Comments > New Croteam IP Teased
1. Re: New Croteam IP Teased Feb 27, 2014, 11:17 Creston

Holy hell, Croteam is still in business?  

News Comments > X Rebirth Patch & Future Plans
33. Re: X Rebirth Patch & Future Plans Feb 26, 2014, 23:25 Creston

AP was mostly community stuff, but TC was theirs.

Also, the X3 engine is a single threaded engine. There's no way to turn it into a multi-threaded engine without basically rewriting the whole thing. It's not a matter of putting a

multithread=yes

into a config file. Sadly.

But yeah, I kinda agree with harlock. I don't think they're going to survive beyond their next game.

News Comments > X Rebirth Patch & Future Plans
30. Re: X Rebirth Patch & Future Plans Feb 26, 2014, 18:56 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 18:42:
Don't be so quick to blame the testers. For all we know there's a backlog of 1000 known bugs in their system that they never got to before release. Given that they released on Nov 15, obviously they were trying to make the winter buying season. So, there was a decision to push on that date, ready or not. Not sure the testers, or even the devs, had anything to do with that.

This isn't the first rodeo Ego's been in. Every single time, their games ship in an absolutely appalling state. And every time, Bernd or CBJ goes onto their forum and goes "We're really sorry about this. None of testers ever found these issues during our beta."

So either they are flatout lying, which is possible, (but if that's the case why still test for them if you get thrown under the bus like that?) or their testers are truly incompetent. Which isn't really even a bash on them, as they're just fans who are trying to help out. But after FIVE games released in various states of quality ranging from "needs quite a bit more work" to "just plain broken", is it that hard to see that their current testing setup, with those guys who signed NDAs, JUST ISN'T FUCKING WORKING?

And it IS partially Egosoft's fault, because for Rebirth, they gave the testers a version of the game with a sped-up economy. Ie, they weren't even playing the game that was going to be actually shipped to customers (Brilliant decision there, Bernd!)

I've talked to many, if not all of their testers, on the forums over the years. They all swear that they never found these bugs that people are running into. Even the X3 one, where performance cratered for 100% of all people after an X (pun! Lulz!) amount of hours, they apparently never found it. So I don't know what the fuck they are doing when they're testing, but it's not actually, you know, testing.

Their current system isn't working. It needs to change. Whoever's fault it is. Then again, it likely doesn't matter. Nobody but a few hundred die-hards is buying Egosoft's next game until it's been out at least six to twelve months, and Egosoft won't be able to survive that financially anyway.

News Comments > Star Citizen Mustang Sale Poll
33. Re: Star Citizen Mustang Sale Poll Feb 26, 2014, 18:45 Creston

xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 17:35:
/shit - 3 posts from you and all in this thread. Fell for it.

Yep, you did.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 26, 2014, 14:59 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 13:50:
This Man Has Survived on Pizza Alone for 25 Years.

It's odd to think that people can survive on such a limited diet.

The human body is able to deal with incredible amounts of abuse when you're young(er). That ability rapidly dwindles once you pass 40, though.

Also:

Beyond the fact that his diet is completely horrifying, he also has diabetes and frequently gets low blood sugar. When his blood sugar dips into the danger zone, it sometimes results in his blacking out on the kitchen floor in his underwear with frozen food scattered around him.

I'm not so sure that I'd consider this individual to be a paragon of health.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
19. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 26, 2014, 14:53 Creston

I do not in any way, shape or form condone attacking someone, especially women, but why the fuck would you wear your Google Glass when you go to a fucking BAR?

22100 Comments. 1105 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo