Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 23788 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2014, 11:15 Creston

nin wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 10:11:
Of course, that has folks claiming winter will be extra bad, but they claimed the same thing last summer and thankfully it didn't come to pass.

Errr... Did you go on vacation during the last winter or something? Do you not remember just how fucking cold it was last december? I used 3800KW that month alone trying to keep my house at 65 degrees.

There wasn't a ton of snow, but holy fuck was it cold. And there were ice storms again as well, though our area fortunately didn't get hit as badly this time around.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2014, 11:13 Creston

If and when somewhere in the next few summers it breaks 120 in NYC, we'll remind you of this post.  

General Discussion > Amazon Orders
8. Re: Amazon Orders Aug 27, 2014, 11:09 Creston

Blue wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 18:48:
The good news is that I have confirmed that the referral works through a cookie, so it seems like concerns about whether the referral code is visible in the amazon URL are probably not an issue.

Sweet.

Will W wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 08:39:
It just makes me wonder if I need to clear my cookies or at least log out/back in to get the reference.

I can't imagine you would. You go through the link and you get a 'special' cookie that stays on your system for that session. The ref URL is just needed on the first page hit to get that special cookie.

News Comments > Steam Allows Multiple Game Installs
8. Re: Steam Allows Multiple Game Installs Aug 27, 2014, 11:07 Creston

starttimartti wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 10:14:
So with this I can install DirectX 9 and .net framework 10 times in a row automatically? Finally!

And you say Valve never does anything for you!

nin wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 10:08:
Steam now also allows you to selectively chose which DLC to use, under the DLC tab. About time!

That is about ten times better news.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Co-op Announced
7. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Co-op Announced Aug 27, 2014, 11:03 Creston

1badmf wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 10:21:
looks fun. hope there's a blue's group for this. i know creston's down like 4 flat tires =D

Oh yeah, I'll play.
The video does look good.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Co-op Announced
6. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Co-op Announced Aug 27, 2014, 11:00 Creston

But will we have Inquisition assets that only count at 50% unless we play multiplayer?? Because everyone just LOVED that part of it in ME3!

They've basically been "no it's single player, no it's single player, no it's single player," for all this time, then they delay it an extra 6 weeks and now, tadaaaa, coop multiplayer.

Marketoid checkbox... TICKED!

But all kidding aside, I actually really enjoyed the ME3 multiplayer and spent probably several hundred hours in it, so if this is as good or better, it'll be a welcome addition. I just can't help shake the feeling that it's been added only recently and will suffer because of it. Though the video looks pretty darn good.

This comment was edited on Aug 27, 2014, 11:06.

News Comments > Volition Reveal Friday
5. Re: Volition Reveal Friday Aug 27, 2014, 10:58 Creston

Someone better ask her "Hey Kinzie, wanna fuck?"

Anyway, good to see they're doing well and are adding staff.

News Comments > etc., etc.
36. Re: etc., etc. Aug 27, 2014, 01:18 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 21:23:
Heat is energy. It travels away from the source, per the laws of entropy. Heat energy escapes easily through glass.

Laws of entropy have nothing to do with it. Temperature rises or lowers through Convection, Conduction or Radiation, and the first two simply don't work in a vacuum. This is why a vacuum thermos works well at keeping stuff warm.

I imagine eventually your ship would slowly radiate heat out, but as I'm thinking about it, it's also possible that it would just stay encapsulated for a long time, as most of the heat in your ship would not be in the form of radiation? (but rather be contained in the metals of your ship and thus not conduct out.)

I dunno, I'm not a real scientist.

35. Re: etc., etc. Aug 27, 2014, 01:13 Creston

yuastnav wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 14:08:
So my conclusion is that what happened in the video is actually scientifically not possible or highly exaggerated.

Ships hyperjump in 30 seconds to a star that's 15LY away, but the frost is what you find unrealistic?

There is no actual temperature in a vacuum, but radiation (there is no conduction or convection in a vacuum) can still raise or lower temperatures, and shit gets cold in a hurry if it's not exposed to radiation (ie, sunlight.) Temperatures on the hull of the ISS get around 250C for metal that's in direct sunlight, but will go as low as -100 when not in sunlight.

So if the E:D ship were to shut off all its internal power and then found some way to shade itself from the radiation emissions of the nearest star it could potentially freeze up. Whether the window would frost over like that, though, and especially so quickly, would depend on the level of condensation on the inside. It would only frost over on the inside, not on the outside.

Now concerning the Apollo 13 mission I google quickly and found this thread and the answer seems to be in post #11 and further explained in post #13.

What concerning the Apollo 13 mission? That their windows frosted over? That they got loads of condensation? Those are true, and have been issues with manned spaceflight since Yuri Gagarin. Very interesting thread you linked, btw.

This comment was edited on Aug 27, 2014, 01:23.

News Comments > Into the Black
8. Re: Into the Black Aug 27, 2014, 01:01 Creston

MajorD wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 00:08:
Creston wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 22:46:
My dog has to go into surgery on Thursday, followed by 8 - 16 weeks of rehab.

Happy dog day, Luna.

I wish the best to you and Luna and hope all goes well with surgery and rehab.

Thanks bud.

News Comments > EA's $1B DLC Goal
21. Re: EA's $1B DLC Goal Aug 27, 2014, 00:59 Creston

Beamer wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 23:00:
Wait, what do you think I'm arguing?
Do you think I'm using Fallout 3 as an example that we have nothing to worry about or Fallout 3 as an example of how DLC can go wrong?

How was Fallout 3 gimped? It was a complete story, a huge map, tons of perks, you got to level 20? The DLC later added some side adventure, and one that extended levels to 30 and sorta continued the main story, but I really don't see how Fallout 3 was an example of a game that was gimped in favor of its DLC...

News Comments > Into the Black
6. Re: Into the Black Aug 26, 2014, 22:46 Creston

My dog has to go into surgery on Thursday, followed by 8 - 16 weeks of rehab.

Happy dog day, Luna.

14. Re: EA's $1B DLC Goal Aug 26, 2014, 22:43 Creston

Beamer wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 21:04:
Outside of, arguably, Fallout 3, I haven't played a single game that's been gimped.

That... that's your one shining example? Fallout 3??

13. Re: EA's $1B DLC Goal Aug 26, 2014, 22:42 Creston

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 20:05:
DLC in Madden, what you have to buy the 4th quarter separately?

Buy the Ultimate Field Goal / PAT Pack, for just $4.99!

2. Kotaku Aug 26, 2014, 22:40 Creston

We've also agreed that funding any developers through services such as Patreon introduce needless potential conflicts of interest and are therefore nixing any such contributions by our writers.

Why? Just admit you're nothing but a bunch of game bloggers who suck publisher ass, and you can do whatever the hell you want. Nobody wants you to stop funding developers. We want you to stop pretending like you're anything but a paid shill.

That's a debate for journalism critics.

Which has nothing to do with you, since there's not a single actual journalist working for you there.

Ultimately, I believe you readers want the same thing my team, without exception, wants: a site that feels bullshit-free and independent, that tells you about what's cool and interesting about gaming in a fair way that you can trust. I look forward to focusing ever more sharply on that mission. joining you in the search for that mythical Valhalla.

Stop being a tit, Stephen Totilo. You know your site is nothing but a publisher mouthpiece. You're a GoDaddy girl for the game industry.

Just admit it and keep doing what you have been doing. The millions of mouthbreather Sony/MS fanboys will still keep visiting your marketoid site for all the amazing hype/advertising you spew about new games. Nothing would change, except you could stop with these inane editorials where you so desperately try to make it appear as if you're actually unbiased.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
8. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 26, 2014, 22:30 Creston

Google buying Twitch = ANTITRUST BAD FOR CONSUMERS OMG WILL NOBODY THINK OF TEH COMPETITION!!!11!!!

Comcast buying NBC = perfectly fine.

(Soon to be followed by Comcast buying Time Warner = perfectly fine and AT&T buying DirecTV = perfectly fine.)

News Comments > Evening Previews
2. Re: Evening Previews Aug 26, 2014, 22:29 Creston

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 19:31:
Besides all that, it's not clear whether this'll actually be a game, or just another sandbox "do what you want" style

Isn't that what most people want out of a game like this? What would you call SimCity 4? To me that was a "do what you want" sandbox.

17. Re: etc., etc. Aug 26, 2014, 13:26 Creston

The only thing I really dislike in the E:D video is the absolutely absurd amount of "space dust" flying by the cockpit whenever even the slightest amount of speed is attained. When he's slowly tumbling backwards, the fucking dust flies by as if he's going FTL. And there's SO.RIDICULOUSLY.MUCH of it. If they'd draw 1/10th of that amount of white shit, the effect of "you are actually moving" would be exactly the same.

I hope they'll clear some of that out, because ugh, it distracts me even just watching that video.

News Comments > Amazon Buys Twitch
35. Re: Amazon Buys Twitch Aug 26, 2014, 12:58 Creston

Frijoles wrote on Aug 25, 2014, 23:56:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 25, 2014, 21:37:
What would you even do with almost a billion dollars?

Two chicks at the same time, man.

You win.

News Comments > Win8 Age of Empires: Castle Siege Announced
35. Re: Win8 Age of Empires: Castle Siege Announced Aug 26, 2014, 12:53 Creston

"Build a castle city, defend against marauders and, when your army is ready, lay siege to opponents. All before breakfast! (*)"

(*) Finishing before breakfast only possible when progress is liberally funded through Empire Coins, available in-game for $4.99 each.

23788 Comments. 1190 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo