Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 23746 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
40. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2014, 23:37 Creston

nin wrote on Aug 25, 2014, 16:04:
We may have to hold a contest as to who can order the kinkiest, dirty thing from amazon.

I think I'll order that Hello Kitty lingerie NOT through the link here...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 25, 2014, 23:35 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Aug 25, 2014, 20:50:
I wonder if Comcast will pull the same crap with Steam that it does with Netflix.

It's not a case of "will pull." It's a case of "They already do."

News Comments > Amazon Buys Twitch
28. Re: Amazon Buys Twitch Aug 25, 2014, 23:34 Creston

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 25, 2014, 21:37:
What would you even do with almost a billion dollars?

Well, half of that goes to the gubmint straight away.

27. Re: Amazon Buys Twitch Aug 25, 2014, 23:29 Creston

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 25, 2014, 20:44:
You know, if you're in the red you're losing money faster than you can make it.

This is a big corporation, not your weekly grocery budget. They are in the red continuously because they keep expanding their business. Like Beamer said, they basically put every dollar straight back in the company.

What happens when Amazon builds new warehouses worth over a billion dollars? They amortize them over five years, and that's 200 million dollars per year they can write off against their revenue. (And they invest a lot more than that into infrastructure each year.)

Those are the kind of things why they're in the red. Amazon is making enormous revenues, and if they chose to just sit on them rather that continuously reinvesting them to make themselves bigger and stronger, they'd make quite a bit of profit.

What they're doing is spending money they don't have on the basis that it will be leveraged against future earnings, which is a terrible way to run a business.

Yeah, that's not what they're doing. They had 75 BILLION dollars in revenue last year. The idea that they have no money is laughable.

Now, they could be tapping into a vast backup reserve, but that's not ever mentioned.

What would you call investors then, if not a vast backup reserve? And again, most of the money Amazon spends is from revenue. 75 billion dollars worth.

That said, while investors have been fine with Amazon continuously reinvesting and being in the red, it seems some of them are starting to feel that Amazon needs to focus on profits a little more, or at least stop putting so much money in what they see as ancillary business.

26. Re: Amazon Buys Twitch Aug 25, 2014, 23:18 Creston

Err, so what happened to the Google buyout then?

27. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2014, 16:01 Creston

Flo wrote on Aug 25, 2014, 15:59:
Blue, do you also get a cut when I order through amazon.de ?

I doubt it, but try it out.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2014, 16:01 Creston

SlimRam wrote on Aug 25, 2014, 15:27:
Blue wrote on Aug 25, 2014, 12:16:

I appreciate your guys' willingness to go through some aggravation for this. From what I can see of Amazon's reporting system, I won't be able to see items ordered until the following day, so I may not know about today's activity until tomorrow.
Wait, sooooo like...well this is ALL hypothetical *cough* so...uh...IF someone was to order a book through the ad that MIGHT be called, "Adult Male Bedwetting - A Self-Help Guide To Stopping The Midnight Menace" uh... Blue do you actually SEE everything that people buy...uh...hypothetically ofcourse *cough*

You, sir, are truly insane.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2014, 15:59 Creston

Blue wrote on Aug 25, 2014, 11:21:
This works if our referral id is part of the URL, but I'm not sure it does if it isn't, so as someone pointed out, simply clicking on the Amazon logo to go back to their front page may be enough to void this. I believe the essential part of the referral code is: "&tag=blsne09-20".

I don't think so, to be honest. I definitely went to Amazon's main page first after clicking through the link here, then did a search for Breaking Bad, and the 3 dvds show up in your list. If a single search would void it, it'd become almost unusable. Someone would have to buy the exact item linked, and nothing else, or the referral would go away, and judging by the items in the Amazon Orders post, I doubt anyone got to any of those from a direct link.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2014, 12:35 Creston

nin wrote on Aug 25, 2014, 12:13:
Will W wrote on Aug 25, 2014, 12:10:
Ok, I emptied out my cart and closed the window. Then I clicked through the link. I did see the referral code on the inital page, but it disappeared once I went past that page. (I am a prime member, don't know if that matters)

Same experience here: Once I did a search, I believe it disappeared. Hopefully it still applies, and is in a cookie or such.

It would almost have to be in a cookie, as the checkout system wouldn't know what to do with a referral section in the URL, I think.

General Discussion > Amazon Orders
2. Re: Amazon Orders Aug 25, 2014, 12:33 Creston

The breaking bad Blu-Rays were mine, so that works.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2014, 11:18 Creston

Will W wrote on Aug 25, 2014, 11:07:
How does that amazon click-through ad work? I have some stuff in my cart that I want to buy, can I click on that link and checkout for Bluesnews to get the credit, or do I have to add it after clicking through there, or do you only get credit if I buy the item advertised?

You'd have to go to amazon through the link and then add stuff to your cart. Going through the link adds a session cookie that tells them "hey, this came because of this particular ad banner." Having stuff in your cart from going straight to Amazon, and then clicking on Blue's banner won't work, as the session cookie wouldn't transfer to your cart.

And we believe that it's for all items, but we're still waiting on confirmation with regards to that. Even so, it doesn't hurt to try it.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2014, 11:16 Creston

RIP, Sir Richard.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2014, 01:48 Creston

1badmf wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 22:51:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 19:22:
Nice job guys/gals, we are up to 26 people for the NFL Pick Em Challenge....

what were we at last year? wasn't it in the 40s?

I think it was high 20s or something.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
9. Re: Sunday Consolidation Aug 25, 2014, 01:43 Creston

Agent.X7 wrote on Aug 25, 2014, 01:39:
Well, when they have a chokehold on the industry, sometimes you have to go there. I could not pre-order the Ghost edition of Destiny anywhere else. Amazon was sold out in minutes of it being listed. Best Buy is clueless and pre-ordering CEs from them is basically rolling the dice and hoping they don't fuck you. Nobody else seemed to have the Ghost Edition up for pre-order.

Shit, when I owned my own game store I had to pre-order some things from Gamestop because I knew my distributors weren't going to get them. They move inventory like nobody else in the industry, so publishers kiss their ass and screw everyone else.

Yep. Only the game industry is dumb enough to bitch and bitch and bitch about one retailer (gamestop), and then continuously bending over every which way they can whenever gamestop wants them to.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 24, 2014, 23:51 Creston

Prez wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 12:36:
As far as the football picks go, can I make all of mine now? Anytime the Jets play anyone I pick the other team. If the Giants play a team they are favored to beat I pick the other team. If the Giants play a team they match evenly with I pick the other team. If the Giants play a team they have no chance of winning I pick the Giants. Any time a team with an animal name plays a team with a human name (i.e. the Lions vs the Cowboys, the Steelers vs. The Dolphins) I pick the animal. If two animal teams play each other or two human teams play each other I pick who would win in a cage match. Some examples: a Bengal would eat a Raven no problem, and a Packer wouldn't stand a chance against a Viking. And you just know a goody-goody Saint would just get his ass handed to him by a salty Buccanneer. I mean, c'mon!).

I feel a winning season coming on for myself.

You should pick like this all season, because it would be hilarious if you ended up with like an 80% success rate.

(Almost as hilarious as when Bill Simmons did a year's worth of picks based on knowledge and analyzing games and investigation, and he lost to his wife who picked purely randomly or occasionally on "which teams has the nicer uniform.")

18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 24, 2014, 23:49 Creston

shul wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 01:45:
Is it of any interest to anyone that I'll do what I did last season? I have no knowledge of the sport and I just randomly checked teams. I think I ended one to last.

Nope, pick however you want.

I pick my games based on a vague concept of "oh yeah, they're pretty good", while at the same time still thinking of the teams the way they were in like 2009.

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: Age of game players Aug 24, 2014, 23:47 Creston

Prez wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 10:19:
I get what Creston is saying. The majority of games are seemingly made for horny 15 year old boys or summer popcorn flick movie-goers and no one else.

I should have said "make" rather than "marketing", but I was implying that most games seem to be made for the < 18 crowd, yeah.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
6. Re: Sunday Consolidation Aug 24, 2014, 23:42 Creston

It's easy to see why Microsoft ate crow and backscrabbled so quickly when rumors started flying that Gamestop was going to simply not carry the failbox and focus on PS4 exclusively.

It baffles me why people keep going to gamestop, though. Apparently shitty service from a drooling moron who knows shit about games is the preferred shopping experience for the average console player?

News Comments > Op Ed
44. Re: Op Ed Aug 24, 2014, 23:35 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 13:14:
What's the half life of the Quinnspiracy? I think this is good for at least another two weeks of posts and commentary.

Dear God, I hope not...

News Comments > Phil Fish Re-Quits Gaming
123. Re: Phil Fish Re-Quits Gaming Aug 24, 2014, 23:32 Creston

Julio wrote on Aug 23, 2014, 22:16:
Legitimate journalists (and even companies) reveal their conflict of interest.

That is very, very true. Of course, NOBODY in the gaming press is deserving of the title journalist. None.

23746 Comments. 1188 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo