Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
West Point, NE 02/20

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 24793 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > No Elite: Dangerous Launch Wipe
111. Re: No Elite: Dangerous Launch Wipe Dec 10, 2014, 12:51 Creston

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 10, 2014, 10:06:
Scott Manley did a video on exploration, might be helpful.
Here: http://youtu.be/5_mSlz6tpmc

I will watch any Scott Manley video. He could do a 30 minute video on the benefits of a carbon-fiber litterbox and I'd watch it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Content Plans
69. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Content Plans Dec 10, 2014, 11:58 Creston

Yeah I'm definitely changing my tune as to how good the PC port was, because it's becoming pretty clear they did just zero work on it. The lead PC QA guy (Alan) admits that he basically only played it with a controller. ("Because that's what I was used to from the other four platforms.")

And now this patch which literally not a single soul in their entire company ever even bothered firing up on the PC, and Mike Laidlaw can kindly go fuck himself with his "It's a PC game made by PC gamers!"

News Comments > Evening Patches
13. Re: Evening Patches Dec 10, 2014, 11:44 Creston

InBlack wrote on Dec 10, 2014, 02:20:
I watched Angry Joe's review of the game last night, he really lets em have it on issues like, terrible monetized multiplayer,

I'm not sure what he was complaining about there, as it's literally the exact same system used in ME3, which he was a big fan of. You don't have to spend a single dime to enjoy mp. Ever. It's just that you CAN if you want to, and because that option is in there, you get a ton of free DLC (which is paid for by the people who like to buy chests.) same as it was in ME3. ME3 got five free expansions because of that system.

I'm not complaining. (And neither was Joe when he reviewed ME3.)

MP is underwhelming because right now the combat just isn't a ton of fun like it was in ME3.

horrible PC UI,

Which he admits didn't bother him much because he played with a controller, AND for which he docked the PC version a point and gave it an 8. Which is more than 95% of all the "game media" did.

illusion of choice,

That's bullshit. There is a fuckton of choice in DA:I.

(spoilers)

- You get to choose whether Cole becomes human or remains a spirit.
- You get to choose whether Blackwall dies for his crimes or can redeem himself.
- You get to choose whether Hawke lives or dies.
- YOU GET TO PICK THE NEXT POPE!
- You get to pick who remains or becomes the next emperor of Orlais
- You get to judge just about every major villainous NPC and hit them with hilarious punishments. Watching them cringe is so enjoyable.

I don't think Joe ever actually said that (been a few days since I watched his review), but if he did, then he's flatout wrong.

poor tactical combat/AI etc

Poor AI, yes. Tactical combat is mediocre so far, but it can and probably will be improved.

and then he gives the game 9/10???

He gives the PC version an 8, which I think is fair. It's still a great game, there's just too many niggles for it to deserve more than an 8. Despite Laidlaw's promises and flatout lies, they did zero effort into the PC port. But the game underneath is still great.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 10, 2014, 11:36 Creston

21 years... God, I'm so fucking old.  

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic - Shadow of Revan Released
10. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic - Shadow of Revan Released Dec 10, 2014, 11:34 Creston

Verno wrote on Dec 10, 2014, 11:03:
Creston wrote on Dec 10, 2014, 00:04:
"Revanís storyline is filled with the intense cinematic action and BioWare storytelling that fans have come to expect from Star Wars: The Old Republic," wanted in a single player sequel to KOTOR since 2003.

Fuck you and your shitty MMO.

It sucks but I can see Dragon Age going there. Look at all of the MMO structures they had in place already in DA:I. It was even storyboarded as a multiplayer title. EA isn't going to resist that microtransactional money forever and the games don't seem to well enough to appease their greedy board if other franchises doing 3-4m are considered disappointments. It's coming man

Probably. They'd definitely be dumb enough to sink another 300-500 million into an MMO that'll have to go F2P in 6 months because nobody subs to it.

8. Re: Evening Patches Dec 10, 2014, 00:48 Creston

Talutha wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 21:17:
Theres an issue with this patch that causes the mesh option to be set to low and causes the option in game and manually editing the settings to not work, so if you've downloaded this patch on PC and noticed a severe downgrade in graphics, you aren't crazy.

Luckily Bioware was pretty quick with a workaround on this while they work on a more official hotfix. Quoted below from Here for your convenience!

Thanks for linking.

7. Re: Evening Patches Dec 10, 2014, 00:48 Creston

Cutter wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 23:24:
BTW anyone doing any MP with this so far?

I played briefly, and was underwhelmed. I loved ME3's MP, but that's because combat in ME3 was awesome.

Combat in DA:I is... "eh" and so MP with waves of that self-same combat is... "eh."

On the bright side, at least most people seemed to know how to play, so there wasn't the aggravation of seeing Varric run straight into the Red Templar Behemoth anymore. God the AI sucks in this game.

66. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Content Plans Dec 10, 2014, 00:43 Creston

PropheT wrote on Dec 10, 2014, 00:24:
Redmask wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 20:59:
Appreciate the link but I don't feel like risking a character on their barely tested bullshit. Letting some time pass before applying the update, hotfix or not.

It's just a shader issue, it didn't change anything about your characters or alter saves.

Fortunately. (They might have pulled a Ubisoft, where they 'fixed' complaints about performance by just destroying the graphical quality of AC:Unity.)

64. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Content Plans Dec 10, 2014, 00:07 Creston

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 23:08:
Creston wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 15:50:
They didn't build SkyUI in a week, ya know.
6 days actually, and then a whole pile of fine tuning.

Ha, 6 days since they announced it, maybe. There were weeks and weeks and weeks of huge threads on the mod forums with all the usual UI modders posting and talking to Bethesda folks trying to figure out how the whole weird flash menu thing actually worked. They didn't build SkyUI from start to finish in 6 days.

63. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Content Plans Dec 10, 2014, 00:05 Creston

Redmask wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 20:59:
Drayth wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 18:59:
Hotfix on the way, and a temp fix for now posted by one of the Bioware peeps. It's near the bottom of this thread...

Edit - See above ^

Appreciate the link but I don't feel like risking a character on their barely tested bullshit. Letting some time pass before applying the update, hotfix or not.

Eh, it seemed pretty clear that the issue was with something graphical (it turned out being the shaders) being misapplied, so this workaround should work if you already patched. The Bioware rep in that subreddit confirms that it was just a config being mismatched. (It seems the game does weird shit when your Shader and Meshes aren't at the same level.)

Very interesting to see the information that prior to patch 2, no matter what your settings, the game simply used Ultra shaders. They really did no testing on this whatsoever...

This comment was edited on Dec 10, 2014, 00:12.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic - Shadow of Revan Released
6. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic - Shadow of Revan Released Dec 10, 2014, 00:04 Creston

"Revanís storyline is filled with the intense cinematic action and BioWare storytelling that fans have come to expect from Star Wars: The Old Republic," wanted in a single player sequel to KOTOR since 2003.

Fuck you and your shitty MMO.

News Comments > AMD Catalyst Omega Released
10. Re: AMD Catalyst Omega Released Dec 9, 2014, 18:23 Creston

The good news: we are offering built-in Ultra HD upsampling with frame rate conversion and HD detail enhancement that will convert 1080p videos to near UltraHD quality on 4K displays.

Uh-huh.

54. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Content Plans Dec 9, 2014, 18:16 Creston

Redmask wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 17:58:
Did they pull this patch yet? This seems to affect all PC copies, not just a specific hardware subset so the usual excuses don't apply. I hope they don't fubar peoples saves. Great job Bioware on not even loading the PC version to test.

Nope, no rollback yet afaik. Which makes me wonder if they've actually already identified the issue, but now they're just trying to figure out how to get people's shit to unbreak.

But it's pretty staggering that they literally did NO testing on the PC patch whatsoever, beyond apparently checking that Origin would apply it. Anyone who plays on High or Ultra immediately notices. (and I'm not even talking about the many, many reports of dialogue no longer working, crashes in menus, crashes in Skyhold, half the frame rate, etc etc etc.)

News Comments > No Elite: Dangerous Launch Wipe
80. Re: No Elite: Dangerous Launch Wipe Dec 9, 2014, 18:07 Creston

Bundy wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 14:04:
You'll still get paid for exploring systems that are unexplored to you. You just got some bonus cash for being the first to explore it ever. But given how much exploring pays in general, you'll still make quite a bit more money just hauling fish around the galaxy.

Hehehe. Thanks, I was curious how that whole mechanic worked.

51. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Content Plans Dec 9, 2014, 17:06 Creston

It won't help with the patch nonsense, but I found an excellent thread with a lot of potential helpful things for the PC version.

(The Win7 vs Win8.1 comparison in that article blows me away. I suspect hardware shenanigans. I can see win8 being faster, but in some of those screenshots it's like 60-70% faster.)

49. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Content Plans Dec 9, 2014, 16:57 Creston

Drayth wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 16:45:
Creston wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 15:52:
Holy shit...

Found this on the forum:

1) Navigate to your "%USERPROFILE%\Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age Inquisition\Save" folder
2) Open the "ProfileOptions_profile" file with Notepad
3) Increase the "GstRender.MeshQuality" parameter by a factor of 1.
4) Save the file, open the game and check the quality of the graphics.
5) If the meshes are not high quality again, repeat step 3.

Thanks, Creston!

And lol, dwarf..

Oh, I forgot about that. It was tested and it doesn't work.

46. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Content Plans Dec 9, 2014, 16:44 Creston

From the same thread:

Ceoldoren, on 09 Dec 2014 - 2:24 PM, said:
I can confirm that theirs no shiny hair on PS4. So I assume it's a PC only thing.
i can also confirm this.

So it seems Bioware has joined Ubisoft in the whole "Ah, yes, testing our PC games and patches. We have dismissed that claim." (Turian airquote) thing.

Here's another pretty good one.

Also, it seems that this affects 100% of all PC users, so I'm going to say that they did zero testing on this patch for the PC. Good show...

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 2014, 16:57.

42. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Content Plans Dec 9, 2014, 15:52 Creston

Verno wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 15:42:
People might want to hold off patching for now. Unlike Steam, you can set Origin not to auto-update and then just play DA:I in offline mode even if it knows theres an update. Wish I had done that.

All of my characters have the shiny hair bug with the meshes now despite my graphical options settings and my characters complexion/etc is totally off. It seems like they applied low settings to everything or something, now the textures/etc looks like crap. I have to mess around with the config file a bit and see what the hell is going on, change my settings more to see if that helps and etc.

After messing around in the character creation for a bit I just discovered that they actually removed a ton of the options, no wonder my character got changed. I hope that is accidental.

Holy shit...

Found this on the forum:

1) Navigate to your "%USERPROFILE%\Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age Inquisition\Save" folder
2) Open the "ProfileOptions_profile" file with Notepad
3) Increase the "GstRender.MeshQuality" parameter by a factor of 1.
4) Save the file, open the game and check the quality of the graphics.
5) If the meshes are not high quality again, repeat step 3.

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 2014, 15:59.

41. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Content Plans Dec 9, 2014, 15:51 Creston

jomisab wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 15:45:
Verno wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 15:42:
People might want to hold off patching for now. Unlike Steam, you can set Origin not to auto-update...

You can tell Steam to not update on a game-by-game basis.

Until you run said game, and then it FORCES you to update. They changed that awhile back. No idea why.

40. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Content Plans Dec 9, 2014, 15:50 Creston

Verno wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 14:46:
Reading it over there a few PC specific tweaks to address complaints but nothing approaching what was needed. In fact only one significant tweak that I can see, the right click hold in tactical mode. Hopefully patch 3 has more substance for PC users...

As I posted yesterday, this is just the first of a series of changes they are planning to make. Alan Schumacher said there'd only be a few small things in this patch.

They didn't build SkyUI in a week, ya know.

24793 Comments. 1240 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo