Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 24491 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 17, 2014, 15:10 Creston

JediPunisher wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 14:43:
Pigeon wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 09:36:
I do have to agree with the sentiment that calling it Windows 10 is a bit absurd.

Honestly, it would've made more sense to name it Windows One.
Now that I think of it, Windows 8 should've been named One Window.

Hehehehe.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 17, 2014, 13:22 Creston

It's going to be a shitty world if chocolate ceases to be. Like, SERIOUSLY fucking shitty.  

News Comments > Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped
221. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 17, 2014, 12:48 Creston

Verno wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 08:40:
Games change and I can accept that but they should have been out in front of this in a better way. Devs need to acknowledge this sort of thing can affect future performance in crowdfunding though, be careful.

My memory is undoubtedly spotty, but I think the KS was doing okay until he promised offline (ie, an experience exactly like the Elite of old), and then it gained another step, so to speak.

A lot of people backed for offline play. Had they not promised it, they might not have made their funding goal.

219. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 17, 2014, 12:32 Creston

Task wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 12:26:
Quite a threadnaught here. Is this a record?

Nah, I think the longest thread ever went either 600+ or 800+.

News Comments > Postal Redux Plans
9. Re: Postal Redux Plans Nov 17, 2014, 12:31 Creston

co-op might actually be fun, as long as you can still fight the other player. Trying to find inventive ways to wipe each other while causing massive collateral damage could be fun. They should really go balls out with that, puts tons of traps and such in. It could be a new Spy vs. Spy!  

News Comments > Game Sessions Steam Trials Add Ryse Son of Rome
5. Re: Game Sessions Steam Trials Add Ryse Son of Rome Nov 17, 2014, 12:12 Creston

24 minutes. laf. I think the opening video takes like 9 minutes.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
9. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 16, 2014, 18:51 Creston

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 18:12:
I don't think any of you would do it, but watch Steam messages that say "hay bro did you see this" and send you a fake link that looks like a screenshot.

Word is it will steal all of your stuff.

REMOVED IT SO IT DOESN'T LINK (prtn-screenshot.com/lolsmem.png)

That's a funky little script that Steam allows to run. Thanks for the heads up!

126. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 16, 2014, 18:49 Creston

Comet wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 18:37:
But I also disagree that people should be upset when crowd funding projects don't deliver on all their promises.

Again, they would have known this LONG ago. They didn't make the decision to switch to a "the server does everything" model in the past few months. They made that decision basically all the way back in the beginning. Had they made the announcement then, it would have been quite a different story from them making it exactly one month before release.

Also, making it online-only means some people simply either can't play the game at all, or only sporadically, etc. People on satellite basically are screwed, because the latency would fuck everything.

I'd call that slightly more than a feature getting stripped out or a promise being broken. A portion of the backers backed this basically because he promised there would be an offline version of the game. He changes that promise with a month to go. I call that shitty. YMMV.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
10. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Nov 16, 2014, 17:43 Creston

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 15, 2014, 20:29:
Pigeon wrote on Nov 15, 2014, 15:10:
There are rumors 10 will be a free upgrade to 8.1...

That's not a rumor, that's actual fact.

It is? Did they actually confirm it (as in, Redmond did?) All I ever saw on it was Microsoft Indonesia or something saying something to that effect, and then never actually backing it up.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Patch 3 Preview & Tips
11. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Patch 3 Preview & Tips Nov 16, 2014, 17:37 Creston

DangerDog wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 17:21:
Ubisoft: 'disconnect your Internet' to fix Assassin's Creed: Unity

It's really odd that they can even make anything that looks half as good as Far Cry or Assassin's Creed with dumb shit comments like this or their "resolution doesn't matter", "30 fps is all you need" etc.

Fucking marketoids, man. They ruin everything.

10. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Patch 3 Preview & Tips Nov 16, 2014, 17:37 Creston

siapnar wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 16:48:
Creston wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 16:28:
PC videos? Or console?
Here's a PC vid @ 60fps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIvEBCHlOl8

OP's comment on FPS:

"The minimum frame rate I get is 40-42 fps but just for seconds... I think this game will run better with the day 1 patch"

Thank you, sir.

96. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 16, 2014, 17:34 Creston

Suppa7 wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 17:05:
steam has single handedly ruined things like level editing and game modification the culture of DRM that started with MMO's and Steam has lead to the locking down of games.

What the hell are you talking about? Are you aware that there is this thing called Steam Workshop?

Where you can go to download additional content, created by the community/modders, and auto-subscribe to it?

6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 16, 2014, 16:30 Creston

Ugh, that part with the enhanced gravity gun is just terrible (to me anyway.)

And yeah, the episodes weren't that great. 1 was dull at a post, and 2 has that retarded final battle in it against 14000 striders and 297 hojillion mini striders, and LULZ YOU HAVE TO KEEP GOING BACK FOR MORE OF THE STICKY BOMBS LULZ!

Fuck the designer who came up with that shit.

7. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Patch 3 Preview & Tips Nov 16, 2014, 16:28 Creston

siapnar wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 16:19:
Looks like FC4 has a decent framerate, though - from the videos I've seen at least

PC videos? Or console?

5. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Patch 3 Preview & Tips Nov 16, 2014, 15:59 Creston

siapnar wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 15:56:
Creston wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 15:03:
You could have addressed them before you put your fucking game on sale. You can also address them by firing every retard at Ubisoft Kiev, since they obviously can't tell a fucking PC from an Xbox 360.
The game isn't optimized for any system, period.
Every AC game I've played has run sub-par.

As a recent example, I tried AC4 on my 570 OC, 3570k with 16 gigs of RAM and it ran like shit on medium settings (sub 30 fps).
I booted up Advanced Warfare and it's 60fps on high.

Different games, with vastly different amounts of rendering and computing, but it doesn't matter. Ubisoft has never taken the time to optimize their games. Maybe it's the lack of proper occlusion, maybe it's unoptimized models... maybe it's sheer laziness and greed.

AC4 was also done by Ubisoft Kiev. They basically do ZERO effort when they port shit to the PC. It's the laziest, most comically inept port you can possibly imagine, and Ubisoft keeps handing their games to these fuckers for the PC versions.

67. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 16, 2014, 15:55 Creston

Flo wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 15:40:
So what's the big deal.

and it does mean the single player has to connect to the server from time to time

I will still play alone in my universe but sometimes it pulls stuff from the server. So not really a problem.

"From time to time" in E:D is basically "every action you take." Want to dock? Talk to server. Want to buy stuff? Talk to server. Want to jump to another system? Talk to server. See pirates show up. You talked to the server. Change your weapon loadout? Talk to server. Etc.

To each their own whether that's a big deal, of course. I'm sure there are plenty of people whose internet never dies, and the idea of actually being offline is anathema to them.

There are also people, especially in the US, whose internet is fucking terrible, and an always-on game means "I can play haphazardly throughout the day, if I'm lucky."

To them it's a big deal, especially since Braben promised there'd be an offline sp mode, and kept on promising it basically until a few days ago.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Nov 16, 2014, 15:44 Creston

I don't think it was Warren's departure that threw it into chaos, so much as "the entire company was hemorrhaging cash and was basically almost dead already anyway."

Warren had a LOT to do with Ex Deus: Invisible War. Harvey Smith was the lead designer (UNIFIED AMMO! WOOT!) but it's not as if Warren didn't have anything to do with the game at all, and he was lying his socks off about it after they released the demo. So I dunno whether it really would have been better to have Deus Ex remain with Warren and Harvey & co.

Human Revolution was a great, great game, and I'm glad we got it. It is a worthy, solid entry in the DE universe (though I still can't figure out how, story wise, people would prefer to go from the much more powerful implants that Adam had to the rather shitty implants sported by JD and call that progress )

3. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 16, 2014, 15:36 Creston

I liked HL2, but I always felt there were way too many gimmicks in it, and those gimmicks had to carry entire levels on end. Still, for its time it was pretty damn amazing.

53. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 16, 2014, 15:30 Creston

Drayth wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 15:13:
My only point being is I bet they honestly didn't expect this big of a shit storm over this. I wonder what their metrics were in terms of people playing in online modes vs off?

Well, that would have been 100% versus 0, as there is no offline mode. There never has been. (at least AFAIK)

And if they didn't expect such a shitstorm, makes me wonder if they've actually BEEN on the internet the last five years? Have they heard of the backlash against Ubisoft's always-on DRM, against SimCity's always-on requirements, etc?

52. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 16, 2014, 15:28 Creston

Beamer wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 14:52:
If you're going to have to give refunds, isn't that the opposite of greedy?

They don't have to do anything, so let's wait and see how many of the people who request a refund will actually get one. There are rumblings on the forum that it's on a case by case basis. I'm very curious to see if that guy who donated 5K will get his money back.

I don't really see how the dots connect that make this a monetary move. We don't really have that information. Nor do we have information that this was a lie rather than a pivot partway through development because something wasn't working out right.

I'm sure they wanted to deliver it, but if every single thing in the universe is done by servers, and the stuff you have on your PC is just a rendering client, basically, then they knew reallllly early on that the offline sp mode just was never going to work. They knew that from the moment they made the decision to have everything be handled by the servers, so I'm going to guess early in 2013. Why wait until less than a month before release before telling people?

Scope shift.

Scope shifting something that a lot of people specifically kickstarted for seems shifty, but I guess people will feel differently about that.

It isn't like it isn't precedented. And this one sucks. But it seems less "greed" and more "this is why you don't Kickstart games" aimed both at the developer, who can't really promise what a game will end up looking like, and the consumer, who can't realistically expect that a game doesn't have some changes as the developers start realizing that some of their initial ideas either didn't work or were beyond what they were capable of.

Yep, that's definitely fair enough. Glad I didn't KS it, as I'd hate to go through the stupid refund process, but I'm disappointed because I was looking forward to playing it. Ah well, plenty of other devs who realize that not everyone appreciates always-on bullshit.

24491 Comments. 1225 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo