Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 23797 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Australian Steam Refund Demands Detailed
15. Re: Australian Steam Refund Demands Detailed Sep 4, 2014, 16:01 Creston

garrywong wrote on Sep 4, 2014, 15:43:
I don't get it. How does anyone expect Valve to fully refund a game purchase when they only take a supposedly 30% cut of the purchase?

How else would you suggest it gets handled?? You buy a game on Steam, it doesn't work, and you have to contact Deep Silver in Germany, and they, what, send you a check for 60 bucks or something? And then they send a tweet to valve "Hey, take this game from the account of so and so, we gave him his money back!" And then Valve says "Well, give us the 60 bucks back, and then we'll get you the 30% of that back."

Valve is the one that processed the deal, they are the only ones who can reverse the charge (other than yourself) on your CC, and then take the game away from your library again. It isn't a question of difficulty at all. It would literally take a Steam "customer service" (snort) representative maybe 2 minutes to deal with the whole fucking thing from start to finish.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
4. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 4, 2014, 15:48 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Sep 4, 2014, 01:34:
That's some serious fuckin' bravery right there.

Dayum son...

News Comments > SEGA's Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Response
31. Re: SEGA's Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Response Sep 4, 2014, 15:46 Creston

Beamer wrote on Sep 4, 2014, 13:37:
The games are often running in an Xbox environment on the PC.

Yeah, and my dick is 12 inches too.

11. Re: Australian Steam Refund Demands Detailed Sep 4, 2014, 12:23 Creston

Cutter wrote on Sep 4, 2014, 11:41:
wtf_man wrote on Sep 4, 2014, 10:55:
I'm not sure how this is enforceable.

Valve is not an Australian company... and even if they do have offices there, it would be easy to shut them down. Australians would still be buying games from Steam, even if they had to use a proxy to do so. In fact they'd probably be more apt to buy non-censored versions of the games through proxy.

Don't get me wrong... I hate that I can't get refunds on games either... but I can't see how the Aussies can enforce this, nor why Valve wouldn't just flip them the bird.

To do business in a foreign country you're subject to their laws. They could block them. But yes you're right, people can just proxy around that. However, that's needlessly losing a large amount of revenue versus how much refunds will cost them. I'll have to look it into but I could swear Canada and plenty of other European countries have similar laws on the books. Gaben and Valve already have more money than stink, so forcing them to do the right thing is long overdue.

And it's not as if Valve doesn't have competition anymore these days. If they say "fuck you, Australia" publishers might just release their games on different platforms rather than Steam to not have to deal with the hassle of Valve's exclusion of a reasonably large market.

Valve just need to stop being such fucking assholes about the whole thing. The tiny amount of people who would abuse this would pale in comparison to the enormous amount of goodwill they'd generate.

GOG understands this, but Gabe & Co apparently only see dollar signs anymore.

News Comments > Diablo III Mid-Season Nerf
6. Re: Diablo III Mid-Season Nerf Sep 4, 2014, 12:18 Creston

Wouldn't they just have a logfile of "player X completed Matriarch's bones 247 times" etc? So then you readjust the XP rating, and have it apply retro-actively.

Apparently this math is too complicated for Blizzard's programmers? Better solution: Just basically whack the entirety of your first competitive season?

Huh?

News Comments > Sims 4 Pirate Copies Pixelated
21. Re: Sims 4 Pirate Copies Pixelated Sep 4, 2014, 12:12 Creston

SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 4, 2014, 12:05:
Thanks Creston
Do they ever release demos for these games?
Non pixelated ones I mean

No, and it'd be really hard to do one anyway. How much of the game would you put in it? It's all very much interwoven, so you'd have to demo the entire game, essentially.

You can pick up Sims 2 for pretty cheap these days, and it's really not much different from Sims 3 or 4. (3 had the whole explore-the-neighborhood stuff, but in the end that fell pretty flat, at least for me.)

20. Re: Sims 4 Pirate Copies Pixelated Sep 4, 2014, 12:11 Creston

NewMaxx wrote on Sep 4, 2014, 11:47:
When I was younger I played games like Little Computer People,

I loved that game. The way your little dude would tap on the screen if you'd ignored him for awhile was awesome.

I've quite enjoyed all 3 sims games, but I refuse to buy a game where they strip so much of the barebones functionality out of it just to sell it back later as DLC. Fuck EA's greedy bullshit.

18. Re: Sims 4 Pirate Copies Pixelated Sep 4, 2014, 11:49 Creston

SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 4, 2014, 10:50:
I've looked at some of the "let's play" videos on the tube and about 2 minutes into the character creation mode I was so bored I was sitting there thinking why the fuck am I wasting my time watching this shit.
Never played any of the previous sims games, is this any good? Does it get any more interesting later on ?

It's a very specific kind of experience to watch your little people go about and run their daily lives, and react to certain scenarios you make up for them, etc. If you play it as a "game" where you're trying to do the most efficient things in order for you to "win", you're not really going to have much fun, no.

But it can be fun to just pile people with wildly diverging ideas and goals into a house and watching the sparks fly.

Also, for budding architects, the home building has always been awesome, and I have had quite a lot of good fun building really expansive mansions.

16. Re: Sims 4 Pirate Copies Pixelated Sep 4, 2014, 11:46 Creston

This has invoked the always entertaining spectacle of users flocking to the forums looking for technical support for their pirated copies of the game.

Hehehehehe. Best way to treat them.

News Comments > EA Taps Starbucks Vet as CMO
41. Re: EA's Taps Starbucks Vet as CMO Sep 4, 2014, 10:33 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Sep 4, 2014, 05:20:
- Mass Effect 3 (what were they thinking?)
- Crysis 3

EA had nothing to do with Mass Effect 3 beyond publishing it. The shitty ending was all Mac Walters' belief that he is somehow the greatest sci-fi writer on the planet. ME3 wasn't a DA2 where EA forced it out the door after 17 minutes of dev time.

Crysis 3 was a good game, it was just way too short. Not sure if that's EA's fault or Crytek's.

News Comments > EA Taps Starbucks Vet as CMO
40. Re: EA's Taps Starbucks Vet as CMO Sep 4, 2014, 10:30 Creston

Devinoch wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 19:30:
I think at this point we as gamers should be cheering efforts to course correct with good moves just as much as we lambast the bad ones.

When EA does something good, I congratulate them for it. When they give away free games, I thank them for it.

I'm just trying to figure out where "We hired a new chief marketing officer from a company that has zero to do with developing games" somehow intersects with "a good move."

News Comments > SEGA's Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Response
21. Re: SEGA's Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Response Sep 4, 2014, 10:20 Creston

"No it was him!"
"No it was him!"
"No it wasn't, it was you!"
"Nuh-uh, it was you!"

They should force SEGA and Gearbox to merge, as they're obviously a perfect moronic fit.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Layoffs; Struggling Financially?
35. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Layoffs; Struggling Financially? Sep 4, 2014, 10:12 Creston

wraithnix wrote on Sep 4, 2014, 00:23:
This game is, well, boring. It's a single player game, with all the annoyances of MMOs (oh, you need to pick up this item to fulfill a quest? Somebody else just picked it up, so you'll have to wait for a bit until it respawns)

That that isn't instanced is beyond fucking ridiculous. What is this, 1998?

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Layoffs; Struggling Financially?
34. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Layoffs; Struggling Financially? Sep 4, 2014, 10:10 Creston

Isn't it pretty normal to fire a large portion of the staff after your MMO is out and all the teething issues have been resolved? It's not as if all those developers/programmers have much to do anymore.

Again, if you don't want to be fired every time you've completed a project, don't get a job in the game industry.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 4, 2014, 10:05 Creston

Glad it works, Blue. I buy thousands of bucks worth of shit off Amazon each year, so going in through your link is maybe 10 seconds of extra work.  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
1. Re: Morning Interviews Sep 4, 2014, 09:45 Creston

I'm very excited about Project CARS. Is anyone playing the beta/early access/whatever?

2. Re: Australian Steam Refund Demands Detailed Sep 4, 2014, 09:44 Creston

Good on Australia. Valve's refusal to refund money on purely broken games is horseshit.

News Comments > Ryse: Son of Rome Next Month; Specs Revealed
3. Re: Ryse: Son of Rome Next Month; Specs Revealed Sep 4, 2014, 09:43 Creston

This is a fucking terrible game. It's not half bad as a Gladiator-Lite movie.

News Comments > Watch Dogs Bad Blood DLC This Month
13. Re: Watch Dogs Bad Blood DLC This Month Sep 3, 2014, 15:42 Creston

NKD wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 15:21:
if Watch Doge 2 is as big a leap as AC2 was from AC1.

I hope so.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
61. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 3, 2014, 15:08 Creston

Jerykk wrote on Sep 2, 2014, 12:29:
I'll never understand the logic of people who takes pictures and/or videos of themselves nude or during sex.

Narcissism.

23797 Comments. 1190 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo