Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 22980 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > PC Gaming Alliance Gives Up, Changes Name
31. Re: PC Gaming Alliance Gives Up, Changes Name Jul 22, 2014, 16:09 Creston

Millions of iPhone and Android owners took to the streets in celebration, all of them chanting a variation of "Gaming Nirvana has come! Rejoice and sing praise to the Open Gaming Alliance."

Oh wait, none of that actually happened, because the whatthefuckever gaming alliance has never actually done a single fucking thing.

I'm glad they're finally dead though, so Blue can stop reporting about this group of useless asstards. The guys who did the Areal kickstarter had more legitimacy than Epic's bullshit circle-jerk club.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
20. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 22, 2014, 16:02 Creston

By its eighteenth birthday, CNN had earned more than 100,000 dismissive wanks, which is a travesty, as they've clearly earned several billion.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Beta Next Week
21. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 22, 2014, 15:56 Creston

Rigs wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 15:29:
Have they said anything about the whole 'landing on planets' thing?

They said it's something they hope to implement "later." I don't think it ever got more precise than that.

News Comments > Areal Kickstarter Suspended
20. Re: Areal Kickstarter Suspended Jul 22, 2014, 15:54 Creston

I'm glad they suspended this scam bullshit.

Of course, Putin won't be happy.

News Comments > Areal Conspiracy Theories
21. Re: Areal Conspiracy Theories Jul 21, 2014, 17:05 Creston

Beamer wrote on Jul 21, 2014, 12:42:
Video game company using someone else's artwork? Down.

Except that's exactly what these clowns are doing, and KS leaves it up.

News Comments > Yager: No Spec Ops: The Line Sequel
32. Re: Yager: No Spec Ops: The Line Sequel Jul 21, 2014, 16:51 Creston

007Bistromath wrote on Jul 21, 2014, 11:03:
Yeah, there's just so many military shooters out there that use a mind-bogglingly unreliable narrator to explore the loss of sanity inherent in following violence as a career path.

People like you are why it's taken so long for AAAs to grow up, and why most of them are still schlock even after the fact.

Go fuck yourself with your patronizing horseshit, bintbisquit, and stop pretending like you're the only fucking human being with a taste in games. Is it cold on that dipshit ivory tower of yours?

Your protagonist is NEVER GIVEN A FUCKING CHOICE to engage in violence as a career path. He doesn't CHOOSE to open fire on US soldiers, they attack him first, approximately 30 seconds into the game. ANY soldier would return fire under such circumstances.

Furthermore, you as a player are never given a choice to use the white phosphorous bombardment on a group of civilians, it's the ONLY THING YOU CAN DO TO ADVANCE AT THAT PARTICULAR POINT. And then I'm supposed to be like "OMG THAT'S SO TERRIBLE?" What the fuck ever. That that gets your knickers in a twist, good for you, but stop pretending it's some kind of Nietzsche level examination into the human psyche. The story as portrayed isn't supported by the gameplay actions you are taking. (It's not the only game that suffers from that flaw, but it was definitely one of the more boring ones to do so.) Ray Charles would have seen that cluster of enemies was a group of civilians, and would have chosen to just try to fight his way through that courtyard. The fact that they arbitrarily declare it impossible, even though you've already wiped out 500 soldiers at that point, and have had several sections where the opposition was bigger than what you were facing there, just makes it another shitty-developer faux pas, at roughly the same level as "You're Captured In A Cutscene.

Play The Line again and pay attention this time. This isn't a matter of taste; you aren't giving it due credit, and that's offensive.

Congratulations. You've now become the largest self-aggrandizing asshole on this board. And that takes some doing. Give yourself a few more pats on the shoulder. The arrogance fucking WAFTS from your posts.

The gameplay was uninteresting because it was unimportant.

Yeah, who gives a shit about gameplay in a $60 game?

It was medium, not message. People who complain about it and mention the plot as an afterthought are dense.

Okay, I get it. You work for Yager. Here's a hint: Next time you want to tell a story that you think advances the understanding of human psychology by a thousand years, WRITE A FUCKING BOOK and sell it for five bucks. Don't make a game and charge 60 bucks for it.

(caveat, when I said only the visuals and level design were good, I did leave out one thing. The voice acting was top notch, and the banter between the three guys in the patrol was excellent, and it did indeed do a great job of showing just how they were in essence losing their humanity because of what they were doing. Even so, it still made for a terribly mediocre experience.)

31. Re: Yager: No Spec Ops: The Line Sequel Jul 21, 2014, 16:46 Creston

Double posted for some reason...

This comment was edited on Jul 21, 2014, 16:55.

5. Re: Yager: No Spec Ops: The Line Sequel Jul 21, 2014, 10:36 Creston

It was a bog-standard shooter with a terribly overhyped story that was nowhere near as interesting as (some)people made it out to be. About the only saving grace in the game was spectacular visuals with very good level design.

It doesn't need nor deserve a sequel.

News Comments > Areal Funded; Putin a Backer?
16. Re: Areal Funded; Putin a Backer? Jul 20, 2014, 16:53 Creston

Redmask wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 16:32:
Task wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 16:30:
Wow, more Russia bashing, nice.

Not like they aren't giving the world plenty of ammo these days.

Oh come on, what's an airliner with 300 people on board amongst friends?

Anyway, the idea that Putin reached out to them, this shitty little two-man scam band, and invited them to the kremlin etc, holy shit these guys are fucking delusional.

I sure hope people will pull their money out before the timer expires, otherwise these guys will get 35K of undeserved money.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
2. Re: Sunday Consolidation Jul 20, 2014, 16:50 Creston

Clint Dempsey? Really? Not Tim Toward?  

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
13. Re: Morning Screenshots Jul 19, 2014, 16:27 Creston

D4rkKnight wrote on Jul 18, 2014, 17:06:
I fear this game is going to feel lifeless for us single player space sim fans. Procedural content is seen as such an amazing thing - the ability to mimick the size of a real universe - I would rather see a smaller hand made universe with 20-30 planets/systems then this. I think it will be a novel game for awhile, and once we are used to the mechanics it will feel like an empty shell.

It's Elite. Elite is about the journey to becoming Elite, allowing you to do whatever you want to do (though admittedly on a pretty damn small scale. The X series always dwarfed Elite in its scope) in an absolutely massive universe. You make your own fun in it. It's never been and likely never will be about a scripted single player experience.

If that's what you want, you'll need to wait for Squadron 42.

News Comments > Next DOOM Details Next Year
13. Re: Next DOOM Details Next Year Jul 19, 2014, 16:22 Creston

Wallshadows wrote on Jul 19, 2014, 14:06:
The fan reaction was very positive with what they saw

It got showed to people who went to Quakecon. e.g. people who love id beyond all measure.

Odds of that particular subset of gamers saying it looks cool are pretty good.

That said, a lot of people who saw it said it looked like old school Doom 2 type chaos, with lots of monsters duking it out amongst each other, and big ass weapons laying waste to absolute hordes. (and, on the flipside, melee finishers and quicktime horseshit...)

The massive hordes of monsters who fought among themselves is what everyone wanted out of another Doom, not that gloomy "LOOKIT OUR PLASTIC TEXTURES!" engine showcase that was Doom 3.

We'll see. I didn't particularly care for Rage, though it had some good missions in it, so I have little faith that id can still make a great game.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 18, 2014, 19:17 Creston

BitWraith wrote on Jul 18, 2014, 15:40:
No one knows what they're doing with thermal paste?

It's not rocket science. Put a dab on and let the heat sink spread it out. It only takes a tiny bit to form a connection between the metals.

What they hell is the guy in that gif doing with the plastic bag?

Even scarier is that some turd from newegg apparently told him to do it that way. What the effing fuck, newegg? One little dab (probably a little bit bigger than pea sized)in the middle, and the heatsink will spread it out just fine on its own. Been building computers for going on 20+ years, and have never had a thermal paste issue.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 18, 2014, 14:31 Creston

I think it's supposed to be mostly a joke article, but some things are actually true.

Those tiny fucking pin connectors are ALWAYS a goddamn nightmare to get working, because the stupid picture in the manual is always turned upside down, or mirrored, and then - is +, and the abbreviations they use make no sense and ... aarrrggghhh. I've probably spent more time on those damn pins than on most of the other stuff.

And there is indeed always one game that I run where I expect it to be going 900 fps, and it'll get me 40. Which is like 5 more than I had on my old machine. And it makes me want to fucking kill something.

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
7. Re: Morning Screenshots Jul 18, 2014, 14:22 Creston

So apparently Braben has said that he wants to future proof E:D, iow allow it to be set to levels of visual details that no current machine will even be able to run.

Because... that worked out so well for Crysis? Confused

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Jumps Into Parkour
4. Re: Assassin's Creed Jumps Into Parkour Jul 18, 2014, 14:16 Creston

You mean a man really can't just scale a vertical wall in five seconds flat? I'm STUNNED!

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online on Steam
31. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online on Steam Jul 18, 2014, 05:22 Creston

Cutter wrote on Jul 17, 2014, 19:58:
6-12 months, and right most of the time. Christ, I remember how many people jumped down my throat when I called it on SWTOR. Well I got the last laugh on that one.

Yeah yeah, you were also claiming Vanguard and D&D Online were going to be the best things since sliced bread, so your MMO nostradamus skills aren't all that great

News Comments > The Crew Closed Beta Monday
7. Re: The Crew Closed Beta Monday Jul 18, 2014, 05:13 Creston

Dagnamit wrote on Jul 17, 2014, 21:29:
Aero wrote on Jul 17, 2014, 20:20:
Maybe sort of a Eurotrucker sort of thing, with a few detailed areas and generic scenery in between. That could be okay if they do it well.

I am a little curious about this in relation to their claim of "thousands of square miles" which would fall short of covering the US by many orders of magnitude.

45 minutes from side of the map to the other, or so it's claimed. pretty big.

I thought they'd said it was in the range of 1.5 to 2 hours, actually, but in any case it's obviously scaled down. You'd likely need to hire the entire Amazon cloud to make a game fit the entire US landmass in a 1:1 scale.

It looks pretty cool, but most videos I've seen so far seem to indicate it's got a terribly shitty arcade driving model, which will immediately relegate this to the dustbin for me.

So if anyone gets in the beta, please let us know how the driving is.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
33. Re: Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 17, 2014, 05:29 Creston

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 16, 2014, 18:47:
Considering the amount of money thrown into education in the US, I'm pretty sure there's something else going on. Like pure laziness of teachers and massive corruption.

The latter, yes. The former, not so much. I'm sure there are lazy teachers, but that's not an explanation why US education is falling across the board. My wife spends hours a day after school to prepare her lessons and make sure she knows everything, she spends lots of time helping kids with extra tutelage, and they still scored very low in this year's tests.

It's more a function of the Feds intervening where they have no business intervening (as education is a State right/obligation), and money being thrown around to set up a new training field for the football team while schools fire ten teachers at the same time. Last year, my wife's average class size was 29 kids. That was AVERAGE. The biggest class she had was 35. How are you supposed to be able to help kids individually when there are 35 of them in the 40 minute class period?

(also, she's in her twelfth year of teaching, and for all this she makes the staggering amount of 33.600 dollars.)

And, quite frankly, a lot of kids are more lazy (the amount that flatout refuses to do homework is staggering) and more and more are unable to focus for long periods at a time, because they've grown up accustomed to just switching to something else virtually instantly when they get bored with what they were doing.

And then, of course, there's the retarded situation where if a child fails his/her grades, the parents can refuse the school's recommendation to make the child retake the current year, and the child moves on anyway. When my wife told me that, I was literally speechless for like ten seconds, and I just sat there gawping at her.

If your average grades didn't reach a certain number back when I was in school, you got told you had to retake the entire year. And if at the end of that year you still didn't have a high enough grade, you had to retake it again. Etc.

Here? Nah, the parents feel the child should move on, even though it's functionally illiterate. It's fucking ridiculous.

There are lazy teachers, of course. There are probably plenty. But it's not the be-all-and-end-all reason.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
5. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jul 17, 2014, 05:19 Creston

"We did nothing wrong and we believe a fair assessment of the facts will show it," Apple spokeswoman Kristin Huguet told Reuters.

Fuck you, you miserable Apple stooge.

22980 Comments. 1149 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo