Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 26505 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2015, 09:13 Creston

I would have, but I'm a contractor so can't afford to miss the pay day.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Fallout 4
2. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Fallout 4 Nov 10, 2015, 09:12 Creston

Super Deluxe Pixels!
An all-new next generation graphics and lighting engine brings to life the world of Fallout like never before! **

** except for the character models and faces. Those we ported directly over from Fallout 3.

Seriously, it has to be a bug or something. Even though setting Ultra quality, the models are stuck at low. They are just TERRIBLE.

Btw, I spent two hours last night sprucing up Sanctuary for those 5 NPCs you take there. Exploring the Wasteland? Ain't nobody got time for that! I'm CRAFTING BEDS AND CHAIRS HERE!!

Btw, why on earth does your character know how to build all this stuff? He's a military guy. His wife was a lawyer. How on earth is he the world's master carpenter? Why can he build a generator from screws and glue and steel without even a blueprint? This really should have more work done to it, so that it slowly unlocks. Or an NPC that build stuff for you, or something. It makes zero sense that your character knows how to do all this.

News Comments > Fallout 4 GeForce Tweaking Guide
90. Re: Fallout 4 GeForce Tweaking Guide Nov 10, 2015, 09:07 Creston

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 10, 2015, 02:03:
Just look at the financial reports of Ubi, Actiblizz or EA. The sales by platform always hover between 15% and 25% for the PC. The other 75% to 85% of their business is happening on mobile and consoles.

It's a bit of a false dichotomy to compare PC to ALL consoles and mobiles combined.

In the latest sales reports from Ubisoft, the PS4 accounts for 26% of their sales, and the PC was second with 20%. Xbone was 11% and 360 was 10%. So the PC almost outsells the Xbone and 360 combined.

Compared to like three or four years ago when PC was like 5% of their sales, that's a pretty impressive leap.

71. Re: Fallout 4 GeForce Tweaking Guide Nov 9, 2015, 22:24 Creston

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 9, 2015, 19:59:
Exactly this^ , is the extra playtime that awesome to risk the steam hammer. Ucrazy

Valve doesn't care about people using VPN to unlock games early. People have been doing that for like six years, and nobody has ever gotten banned over it.

They nail you if you use VPN to buy a game from a country where the price is cheaper. Not to get around these horseshit digital time lockouts.

70. Re: Fallout 4 GeForce Tweaking Guide Nov 9, 2015, 22:23 Creston

Played for a couple of hours. Here are some initial impressions:

GOOD:

- Combat feels a lot better. Still pretty damn hard to hit stuff without VATS, at least for me. But VATS is no longer a blatant win button, as enemies can still move and hit you in VATS, and do damage.
- Crafting system is very robust, tons and TONS of options in it. (Sadly, all the craftable loot weighs a ton too, so you very, very quickly run out of carrying space...)
- Environment graphics are very nice.
- Game runs smooth as silk on an i5-2500 with a GTX970 on Ultra detail. (downloaded the latest Nvidia driver.) I had to turn on Vsync because otherwise I got massive screen tears. I think it runs at like 80 or 90 fps on my non-SOTA system.
- Voice acting is fine. I don't know why reviewers are bitching at that.
- Perk system seems very good so far. I'm not missing skills at all, with how many things there are to choose from in that perk tree. It's almost overwhelming. Also, you do NOT have to pick levels 1, 2, 3 and 4 if you want a level 5 perk in an ability tree. Just pick level 5 ability straight away. You level quick, so you're always upgrading and getting stronger.

- Gorgeous Day/Night cycle.

BAD:

- The intro is truly fucking terrible. I mean, it makes Fallout 3's intro look like a work of art. Holy shit is it bad. The whole much-ballyhoo'ed "You get to live as him/her before the war so you feel more connected to the character!" is horseshit, as that entire segment takes exactly 5 minutes. Then you get to the vault and that lasts even shorter.

I guess the nice thing is that it makes the intro move quicker, beneficial for those people who hated how long it took in FO3, but the flipside is that it's just utterly, completely pointless.

- Remember that launch video that shows you going to your old house in a poignant scene, and Dogmeat has all these special animations, like looking in your son's crib etc? Not in the game... Went through the whole house and dogmeat does shit all.

- The writing/dialogue is bad. No real surprise there, and bear in mind I'm literally still in the first mission (which goes on for fucking ever...), but it's pretty cliche and just not very interesting. The voice actors do a good job with what they're given, but it's not great.

- No tutorial or nothing for crafting. Figure it out yourself! Not a very intuitive system.

- They overhauled the controls for the PC a bit, and I'm not sure that it's gotten better. Need more time with them.

The Ugly:

- Dear God, the character models. They are really, really, REALLY bad. The faces, the bodies, it's god, god awful. Look, I understand they put a lot of effort and runtime resources into the world, and into the crafting, but for fuck's sake, Todd Howard, SPEND A FEW GRAND ON A GUY WHO KNOWS HOW TO FUCKING MODEL A HUMAN BEING.

- Dogmeat's animation is pretty bad too. Human animations are actually okay, if you ignore the terrible models, but dogmeat just appears to have no actual mass to him, with the way he moves.

- I keep getting a weird screen bug in dialogue, where the scene sorta shifts as if it's only running in 1680x1050 rather than 1080p, and it looks very wonky. Dialogue works fine, but it looks odd. (Edit, now that I think about it, it's undoubtedly because I switched the FOV to 90 from the default 80...)

All in all, if you were on the fence, stay on the fence. If graphics are very important to you, this game will really irritate you with the horrendously bad character models. Wait for an enterprising modder to sort that out.

But if you enjoyed FO3, eh, this is just more of the same with some improvements here and there.

58. Re: Fallout 4 GeForce Tweaking Guide Nov 9, 2015, 18:46 Creston

Retired wrote on Nov 9, 2015, 17:42:
Creston wrote on Nov 9, 2015, 16:52:
Guy at work is already playing it. Unlocked it with VPN. Has Valve ever come down on anyone for that?

If not, I may just unlock it and play it too. I CANT WAIT ANY MORE

Just enable it, make it work, back out of the VPN and play offline. No one is the wiser....

Worked like a charm. Playing it right now.

49. Re: Fallout 4 GeForce Tweaking Guide Nov 9, 2015, 16:52 Creston

Guy at work is already playing it. Unlocked it with VPN. Has Valve ever come down on anyone for that?

If not, I may just unlock it and play it too. I CANT WAIT ANY MORE

News Comments > Game Reviews
32. Re: Game Reviews Nov 9, 2015, 16:01 Creston

Flatline wrote on Nov 9, 2015, 14:19:
Creston wrote on Nov 9, 2015, 13:39:
And he ends with : or they can take the best stuff of Fallout and Skyrim's pedigree and slap even better plot and acting into it (Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Dragon Age: Inquisition).

Well, there ya go. Dragon Age Inquisition is the height all games should aspire to.

To play Devil's Advocate for a moment, Inquisition had some great companion "missions" that were written pretty well. Same with ME3. For some reason the main writing team is weak and the side stories are wonderful.

Stopping for an evening and playing cards and drinking with your team in Inquisition was one of the high points of the game ironically. It was one of the more fun points of Witcher 3 (stopping and having a snowball fight with Ciri was great. Even if the snowball fight mechanics still sucked.)

So yeah, I wouldn't mind some of the story building from Inquisition. Just... not the main story.

I actually thoroughly enjoyed DA:I, but it's funny that the guy lambasts Fallout 4 for having crappy writing in its plot and then lists DA:I as the pinnacle of gaming alongside W3. DA:I's plot was atrocious. It was the side missions and cool companions that made that game.

And in his FO4 review, he says that some of the missions are awesome.

So really, he's complaining about... I don't even know. The whole review reads more like one of those rambling rants than anything. I HAVE TO PUT SKILLPOINTS IN ORDER TO CRAFT WHAT THE HELL I DONT EVEN MISSIONS ARE FANTASTIC BUT NPCS ARE GARBAGE THOUGH SOMETIMES I FIND COOL ONES BE MORE LIKE DRAGON AGE!

33. Re: Fallout 4 GeForce Tweaking Guide Nov 9, 2015, 13:52 Creston

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 9, 2015, 12:41:
Kxmode wrote on Nov 9, 2015, 12:28:
For AAA games nVidia is really good about releasing drivers well ahead of a game's release. We should've gotten the latest drivers by now. What's the deal?

New game-ready driver 358.91 is available via GeForce Experience. You can not download it from the website at the moment because the "server had an accident" according to a nVidia dude.
Or maybe they are already "testing" the feature where you will only be able to get the latest game-ready driver via GFE Wink .

Yeah I'm gonna be cynical and go with option # 2, Alex.

31. Re: Fallout 4 GeForce Tweaking Guide Nov 9, 2015, 13:51 Creston

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 9, 2015, 12:26:
Creston wrote on Nov 9, 2015, 12:02:
They've said that the PC version isn't locked on either FPS or resolution, so I'm sure it's a simple case of switching a 1 into a 0 in the Fallout4.ini file.
Gamers shouldn't have to edit .ini files to get around a restriction that shouldn't exist. If they want to limit the framerate it should be a in-game option. It's not like high refresh rate monitors or SLI are uncommon.

Okay, so having to mod an .ini file is now anathema for PC gamers, but having to practically reprogram the entire .exe to get Star Citizen's alpha to run is just par for the course?

24. Re: Game Reviews Nov 9, 2015, 13:48 Creston

Oh, and finally, from the ARS review:

I think you should make it more obvious in the "U-G-L-Y" bit that you played it primarily on ps4 but when you did do it on PC it was on a mix of medium-high.

Iow, we may want to take that with a grain of salt. What does the PCGamer review say about the graphics?

21. Re: Game Reviews Nov 9, 2015, 13:41 Creston

El Pit wrote on Nov 9, 2015, 13:21:
EDIT: I'm sorry to become part of the slowly growing choir, but I join in singing the song that the negativity here is growing.

It isn't. You should have seen the OMG ITS OBLIVION WITH GUNS BETHESDA RAPED MY CHILDHOOD WHY OH GOD WHY FALLOUT MUST ALWAYS REMAIN AN ISOMETRIC RPG whining that went on when Fallout 3 was about to be released. It was a thousand times worse.

19. Re: Game Reviews Nov 9, 2015, 13:39 Creston

Read the ARS review, only one I can get to at work, and hmmm. It seems mostly whining that he can't just build the uber-powered Expert At One Thing character that he wants, but instead HAS to spend skillpoints to be able to craft things, and then whines that this forces you to play a certain way. (as in, I dunno, leveling up? Getting skillpoints and CHOOSING to put those into crafting versus other things?)

In order to satisfy this clown, Bethesda will do away with all skills/perks/etc in the next one, and then just allow you to do whatever you want when you want. And then he'll whine that it's not an RPG anymore.

He also complains that all NPCs are terrible (which was to be expected, it's a Bethesda game) then like five paragraphs later says :Every time the game started to feel more like a chore than a fun diversion, I'd make my way to a new, untouched portion of the gargantuan map to discover an elaborate outpost of some sort—sometimes with intriguing NPCs waiting to chat me up, at that.

So which is it? All NPCs are terrible, or there are intriguing NPCs?

And he ends with : or they can take the best stuff of Fallout and Skyrim's pedigree and slap even better plot and acting into it (Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Dragon Age: Inquisition).

Well, there ya go. Dragon Age Inquisition is the height all games should aspire to.

16. Re: Fallout 4 GeForce Tweaking Guide Nov 9, 2015, 12:02 Creston

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 9, 2015, 11:20:
I just discovered that the game is limited to 60fps by default, which screws over those with high refresh monitors. It's like they went out of their way to make the PC version shit.

They've said that the PC version isn't locked on either FPS or resolution, so I'm sure it's a simple case of switching a 1 into a 0 in the Fallout4.ini file.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Preloads
43. Re: Fallout 4 Preloads Nov 8, 2015, 10:48 Creston

Task wrote on Nov 8, 2015, 09:58:
Here's a good question though. Why don't people expect or demand of them to improve on those other missing key facets (besides graphics), like filling that open world with a realistic, meaningful setting (side quests that feel impactful/matter, engaging story, etc.)? Otherwise, the Elder Scrolls series will regress more as it has; right along side with their "vision" of Fallout.

I think there are plenty of people "demanding" it, but Bethesda is ruled by the almighty dollar, and they see the sales of their games go up, up, up even as the content becomes dumbed down/simplified/whatever you want to call it.

It's probably also the case that their writers are doing their best, and this really is the best they can come up with? I doubt they're sitting there going "Eh, just write something crappy, it'll be fine." Great writers aren't exactly abundant in the gaming industry. CDPR is probably just lucky that they've managed to snag a bunch of them. It'd be nice if Bethesda would hire more/better writing talent, but it's not exactly ripe for the picking in the gaming industry.

I would like to one day play a Bethesda game and not only expect an interesting open world, but an experience that is not shallow. It's become an increasing tiring affair ever since Oblivion.

Why do you keep playing it then? Bethesda is never going to do another Morrowind. That level of RPG depth is simply never coming back in their games. It baffles me why people are still surprised at this with every new game Bethesda releases? The last great RPG they made was like 13 years ago. It's never happening again.

The game doesn't even have to have amazing graphics, but if Polish developers can do it, then it shouldn't be an impossible leap for Beth.

I really, really wish people would stop comparing this to Witcher 3. W3 looks amazing but has basically zero world interaction. You're walking through a beautiful painting, and that's pretty much it. In FO4 you can apparently manipulate virtually everything, grind it down for resources and use it to build other things, and everything is affected by their physics engine. If that level of interaction had been in W3, it wouldn't have looked anywhere near as good as it did.

Everything costs resources, both to make it, and to run it. You can either focus a lot of those resources on graphics, as CDPR did, or you can focus them on other things, as Bethesda did.

I don't want every game to be gorgeous like W3 but then have little to interact with in the world. And don't get me wrong, I love W3, I think it's one of the best games ever made, but other than picking plants and occasionally blowing open a door with Aard, there's no interaction with the world whatsoever. Fallout 4 focuses more on the interaction and less on the graphics (and that said, I don't see why people call it ugly, as it looks plenty pretty to me.) There's room for both types of games.

I expect a FO game, especially as a fan of FO1/2/Tactics to not just be an open world.

Which is fine, but you are a minority where that's concerned... I quite enjoyed FO1 (FO2 not so much), but I enjoyed FO3 and NV as well, even though they are very different games.

This comment was edited on Nov 8, 2015, 11:35.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Preloads
37. Re: Fallout 4 Preloads Nov 7, 2015, 21:41 Creston

JayDeath wrote on Nov 7, 2015, 20:44:
Preloaded and waiting to get lost in this game.

It downloaded another 9 megs or so earlier, and for a brief, glorious moment I thought they had maybe activated it early (by mistake), because when I hit play it just sat there for a few seconds thinking about it.

But then no, "It's not released yet."

FUCK THE FUCKING GAME STORES. GIVE ME MY FUCKING GAME THAT'S ALREADY INSTALLED ON MY FREAKING PC!

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda N7 Day Trailer
17. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda N7 Day Trailer Nov 7, 2015, 21:39 Creston

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 7, 2015, 19:34:
+1 to everything you said but, for better or worse, Drew Karpyshyn joined the BioWare Austin studio (SWTOR) and not the folks in Canada who are working on MEA.

Well shit...

I would not give him too much credit anyway. ME2 was pretty damn good but the writing of ME1 and KotOR, which he also was involved in, was nothing to write home about (yes, pun intended Wink ).

I quite liked both ME1 and KotOR. I actually thought the story in ME1 was better than the story of ME2. In any case, he'd still be a thousand times better than that fuckwallet Mac Walters.

13. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda N7 Day Trailer Nov 7, 2015, 19:08 Creston

harlock wrote on Nov 7, 2015, 18:56:
i wonder if the new AAA RPGs are gonna try to copy any Witcher 3 type features in some way

Which feature in particular would they copy? I'm being serious, btw. I don't think there's really any gameplay feature that makes the Witcher 3 stand out, is there? (I guess maybe the Witcher Senses gameplay, but that honestly gets very tedious after three or four missions where you use it...)

I think the Witcher 3 is as awesome as it is because of the fact that it has just excellent writing rather than mediocre writing (Hi Bethesda!), treats sidequests as actual quests rather than mindless fucking time filler (Hi Dragon Age!), and in general treats its audience as smart, adult human beings rather than children that need to be patronized to. (Hi just about every other dev in existence!)

Unless you have great writers, it's gonna be hard to copy those things. And of course Mac Walters is in charge again, so buckle up. (Although I hope that Drew Karpyshyn returning will bring some relief.)

12. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda N7 Day Trailer Nov 7, 2015, 19:03 Creston

Acleacius wrote on Nov 7, 2015, 17:37:
Apparently there was tequila involved, since my FemShep woke up in bed with Kelly, Jack, Liara and Miranda. Grouphug

I'm going to say that there was tequila involved, but probably outside of the Mass Effect universe. :p

News Comments > Evening Interviews
11. Re: Evening Interviews Nov 7, 2015, 15:53 Creston

There’s a guy that just posted in the Star Citizen Facebook group the other day saying that he’s just retired, he’s 70 years old, he’s going to spend the rest of his life in Star Citizen.

Well, I hope he'll live to be at least 90, otherwise he might have some problems...

26505 Comments. 1326 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo