Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 24238 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Gone Gold - Dragon Age: Inquisition
24. Re: Gone Gold - Dragon Age: Inquisition Nov 1, 2014, 00:27 Creston

Wetworks24 wrote on Nov 1, 2014, 00:15:
Icewind wrote on Oct 31, 2014, 21:50:
Privilege Age: Cisquisition

Wonder how many overly-aggressive homosexual characters will be in this one?

Also, enjoy not having heal spells.

There were healing spells, I made my main character a mage and had access to the healing tree. I played on nightmare difficulty and used the single target heal, group heal, and heal aura extensively, the heal spells just had long cooldowns. Also, you could use Anders as a healer in DA2.

Those heals won't be in DA:I. See my post just below yours.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Gone Gold - Dragon Age: Inquisition Nov 1, 2014, 00:13 Creston

Cutter wrote on Oct 31, 2014, 22:59:
Not having healing spells in a magick game is stoopid!
Bloodthirsty

They actually gave a pretty good explanation for why they went a different route this time. Short version, IIRC, in the original game they had to calculate roughly how much hitpoints "the party" would have at any given point in time and then balance encounters around the enemy being able to do that much damage over the course of a battle, since their battle design was focused around incapacitating the party.

However, that health potential quickly multiplied exponentially when healing potions got involved, and then magic potions which could power healing spells, and multiple mages were there, etc etc, and eventually it'd be a function of "how much money does the PC possibly have, and how many of it will he/she have spent in health potions."

So this time around, they designed it not around incapacitating the party in a single battle, but doing it through attrition, and by forcing the party to spend money on its well-being, so to speak, as well as making sure there is always a camp somewhat nearby to fall back to (basically saying "don't stray too far behind enemy lines.") in case of emergencies.

I have no idea whether their implementation will work, but the theory behind it made a lot of sense.

(Edit, I went and found the post by the dev who explained it. If anyone is interested, follow this link and it'll be the third post down by Lukas Kristjanson. )

(edit 2: Here is a far more comprehensive explanation of how it tends to play for mediocre players.)

This comment was edited on Nov 1, 2014, 00:30.

20. Re: Gone Gold - Dragon Age: Inquisition Nov 1, 2014, 00:07 Creston

Wetworks24 wrote on Oct 31, 2014, 21:22:
Creston wrote on Oct 31, 2014, 20:36:
1badmf wrote on Oct 31, 2014, 20:21:
awesome. i juuuuuuust happened to take the week of thanksgiving off as well. what a coinkidink huh?

Surprisingly, so did I. Coincidences all around.

badmf, you said in the other DA:I thread that you'd preordered it from GMG, right? Did they give you your Origin key right away?

I'm tempted to preorder it from them, but if it means they don't give me the key until the 18th it's kinda pointless since I'd miss out on the preload.

I pre-ordered DAI a month ago and still don't have my key. My general experience with GMG is they give the key as soon as they have them. Which can be anywhere from the day of release to several days earlier. There have been cases where they have not given out keys till after the release date. If you absolutely need to preload you should consider getting the game from somewhere else, or at least wait till you hear that GMG customers are getting their keys.

Alrighty, thanks man.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Oct 31, 2014, 20:41 Creston

One particular lawyer actually warned about this right when the iPhones started coming out with the fingerprint stuff. He said that legally, they can't force you to unlock a phone protected with a password, but if you turn it into a biometric thing, which is a part of you rather than something you know, they would likely be able to legally force you to unlock the phone.

Lo and behold, he was right, as the judge interpreted the law the exact same way.

5. Re: Gone Gold - Dragon Age: Inquisition Oct 31, 2014, 20:38 Creston

Cutter wrote on Oct 31, 2014, 19:19:
Creston Age: Incresition?

Hehehe

I like Bioware's games. DA2 wasn't as disappointing to me as I know it was to many (though the fact that I got it a year later for 5 bucks probably had a lot to do with that), and I think they handled the ME3 fiasco as well as they could when they basically released an ~8 hour long fanservice "ending" DLC called The Citadel.

I have no doubt I'll enjoy the hell out of DA:I, but really the only reason I'd preorder is to get the preload and save myself the hassle of having to wait five days to download it once I buy it.

4. Re: Gone Gold - Dragon Age: Inquisition Oct 31, 2014, 20:36 Creston

1badmf wrote on Oct 31, 2014, 20:21:
awesome. i juuuuuuust happened to take the week of thanksgiving off as well. what a coinkidink huh?

Surprisingly, so did I. Coincidences all around.

badmf, you said in the other DA:I thread that you'd preordered it from GMG, right? Did they give you your Origin key right away?

I'm tempted to preorder it from them, but if it means they don't give me the key until the 18th it's kinda pointless since I'd miss out on the preload.

News Comments > Dragon Age Keep Open Demo
20. Re: Dragon Age Keep Open Demo Oct 31, 2014, 12:42 Creston

1badmf wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 18:38:
Creston wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 14:32:
Strange, I think in the 40-50 hours I played DA2, it crashed on me maybe once or twice.

I agree with the endless waves of boring shit. It drove me insane my first playthrough, so for my second one I just set difficulty to normal and brought three mages. Firestorms and Ice storms and lightning storms all over the place tend to kill shit in a hurry.

But yeah, I don't want that kind of combat anymore. To be fair, from the twitch streams and videos I've seen of DA:I, it does NOT in any way look like that.

already bought it on gmg for like $40 bucks. you know you're gonna buy it anyway, might as well get the preload out of the way. unless you plan on going... other routes.

Nah, I don't pirate stuff. I've thought about GMG, but did they send you the key right away? I'm worried that if I get it through GMG, they'll send the key on the day of release, which puts me in the same boat of having to wait five days for the thing to finish downloading.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Time Anomaly Revealed
7. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Time Anomaly Revealed Oct 31, 2014, 12:02 Creston

You know AC devs have been fucking clamoring for an explanation that would allow them to put a goddamned TURRET SECTION into AC.

:-facepalm-:

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 31, 2014, 11:58 Creston

However, the proposal would not completely outlaw deals in which Web services pay for faster access to consumers.

So it's the typical government way of doing shit then. Half-assed that won't actually accomplish fucking anything. Who's surprised???!

Fucking Tom Wheeler.

News Comments > Blizzard Perma-Bans Hearthstone Win-Traders
6. Re: Blizzard Perma-Bans Hearthstone Win-Traders Oct 31, 2014, 11:56 Creston

What the hell is win trading?  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
9. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 30, 2014, 23:43 Creston

Kevin Lowe wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 20:51:
Creston wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 18:22:
Creston explains why some of Destiny's DLC is on the disc: It's so they can make more money out of you, their wallets customers.

There, that did not require an entire article to be written about it.
What, precisely, is wrong with wanting to make money by selling a product that people want? Bonus question, in precisely what way is Bungie's explanation either incorrect or dishonest?

I never said either their explanation was incorrect or dishonest, so that's a bit of a straw man you're building. Make sure to kick the shit out of that little bugger.

As for what's wrong about it, let's just say that I have a fairly strong dislike for having DLC already be included on the disc (iow, already be done) on release, and being locked away for later after you pay Yet More Money. It's the nickle-and-dime mentality that every publisher now jerks themselves to sleep over. If you have no problem with that particular business practice, good for you. Some people don't appreciate it.

To be clear, I don't mind DLC. I've bought hundreds of things of DLC according to Steam (though I think things like SR3 GOTY probably add like 40 or 50 of them into that count), and in general I quite enjoy getting some more of the game I like, and I don't mind paying 5 or 8 bucks for some extra content.

It's when said content was already done, and was already included in the game, then gets locked away on the disc to be sold for extra later that pisses me off. LA Noire was a magnificent example of that behavior, as during the original game, the two main detectives would actually talk about cases in the past tense, even though I never played said cases. And that was because they were later sold as DLC.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 30, 2014, 18:22 Creston

Creston explains why some of Destiny's DLC is on the disc: It's so they can make more money out of you, their wallets customers.

There, that did not require an entire article to be written about it.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Far Cry 4
3. Re: Gone Gold - Far Cry 4 Oct 30, 2014, 18:20 Creston

Yeah, I so wished this would come out say next week, so I could play it before Inquisition lands...

16. Re: Dragon Age Keep Open Demo Oct 30, 2014, 14:32 Creston

Strange, I think in the 40-50 hours I played DA2, it crashed on me maybe once or twice.

I agree with the endless waves of boring shit. It drove me insane my first playthrough, so for my second one I just set difficulty to normal and brought three mages. Firestorms and Ice storms and lightning storms all over the place tend to kill shit in a hurry.

But yeah, I don't want that kind of combat anymore. To be fair, from the twitch streams and videos I've seen of DA:I, it does NOT in any way look like that.

11. Re: Dragon Age Keep Open Demo Oct 30, 2014, 11:59 Creston

Verno wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 11:49:
DA:O had many flaws but it felt like a good, meaty RPG for a change. Lots of content you could otherwise gloss over, some deep side quests and many nuanced choices. I hope DA:I is a return to that kind of game.

That I will definitely second.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 30, 2014, 11:37 Creston

"We won't do shit about AT&T and Verizon and Comcast fucking you over with caps and terrible connections and prioritizing content, but we're going to regulate THE FUCK out of Internet Video, and make that available so you can't actually watch it through the providers that we refuse to regulate!"

- your friends, the FCC.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity GeForce Video
11. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity GeForce Video Oct 30, 2014, 11:31 Creston

Phasenoise wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 08:55:
John wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 08:35:
How does one make their rig "sexy"? Confused
With a push-up monitor stand.

HEEEEEEEEEYYYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity GeForce Video
10. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity GeForce Video Oct 30, 2014, 11:31 Creston

NKD wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 23:09:
Ubisoft is always good about adding PC specific graphical features, but the performance always leaves something to be desired. I'm curious how that'll play out.

The same as it did with Black Flag and the other game which had them (forgot which one.) Unless you have a GTX980 or so, it's going to really murder your framerate.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2014, 11:28 Creston

The Giants are likely the first team to ever win a World Series while only having one actual viable starting pitcher. of course, since that starting pitcher is basically the second coming of Sandy Koufax, it still allows you to win.

Unbelievable pitching performance by bumgarner. It may genuinely have been the best postseason pitching performance ever.

7. Re: Dragon Age Keep Open Demo Oct 30, 2014, 11:20 Creston

InBlack wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 10:42:
Sauron, it doesnt help that this last game seems to be riffing on Skyrim like a whole shitload does it?

Considering Skyrim winds up in the top 3 of pretty much every "top 100 PC games of all time" list I see, and is likely the best selling PC RPG of all time, I don't thinking that emulating it a bit more is that bad of an idea.

I'm tempted to pre-order DA:I, solely for the fact that it'll let me preload. Without a preload I'm looking at a solid five days of downloading. On the flipside, I hate rewarding EA. It's a dilemma. I'll probably keep debating it right up until November 14th.

As far as the game is concerned, I have no worry about liking it. I loved DA:O, and I've even enjoyed DA2 enough to play through it twice, so I seriously doubt I wouldn't enjoy this one.

As far as the Dragon Age keep, it's in "open beta", but it's been tested for like the past year, so it's more of a "We call it a beta just in case something doesn't work", but it really is an actual release.

I actually like the idea behind the keep. Savegame importing was pretty badly borked between DA:O and DA2, and now that they're adding two more platforms trying to get savegames to be recognized would have been flatout impossible. Doing it through a website like this seems like a pretty elegant solution.

24238 Comments. 1212 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo