Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 24491 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2014, 11:36 Creston

Cutter wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 10:36:
Transmission? You mean the tranny? Real men say tranny.

Jalops do, anyway.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2014, 11:35 Creston

nin wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 09:39:
Expensive Tuesday! Bowie, McCartney, and Depeche Mode. GTA, Dragon Age, and Far Cry. $250 later...

Teehee.

Hey guys, any advice on what the current price/performance nadir is for graphics cards? Is the 970 just wiping everything away, or is a top flight Radeon a worthy contender, especially considering DA:I (what I'm upgrading for) uses Mantle?

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Launch Trailer
48. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Launch Trailer Nov 18, 2014, 11:32 Creston

Okay, I'm going to upgrade my graphics card for DA:I, because I want to see it at its most gorgeous.

Anyone have any experience playing this with Mantle? Is it worth getting a Radeon card, or should I just go with a 970?

Also, apologies for the 287 posts in a row.

47. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Launch Trailer Nov 18, 2014, 11:24 Creston

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 08:55:
That's standard action RPG design. But from the rest of your post, it sounds like we all just might as well use a gamepad anyway!

I know it's standard design, but it's still fucking stupid. This isn't a game like Dark Souls where you have to time your strikes to get through an enemy's defense etc. My mage stands still when he attacks (you can't move), so what's the point of forcing me to hold a key/mouse button? Why not, at the very least, make it a toggle?

But yeah, honestly, with the way things work, a controller is probably a preferred method of playing. Picking up loot would be ten times quicker with a controller than m/kb, that's for sure.

And to think we give Bethesda shit for their terrible m/kb UIs.

46. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Launch Trailer Nov 18, 2014, 11:22 Creston

Redmask wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 07:19:
Thanks, thats good to know. That doesn't sound like the Origins tactcam that the other guy claimed.

It isn't. Again, I played for an hour, tried tact cam twice (mostly by accident) and found it cumbersome. I'm sure you'd get used to it, but it is most definitely designed to be used with a controller, not with mouse/keyboard. Basically the only concession they made for m/kb users is to give you the 1-0 hotbar. Everything else is just CONTROLLER CONTROLLER CONTROLLER.

It sounds like despite some frustrations that you are really enjoying it, would you recommend fans of DA:O pick it up?

Eh... That's hard to say after an hour. Ask me again tomorrow after I've played it more and haven't just done the heavily scripted tutorial. Also keep in mind that I'm an absolute DA fanboy to the point where DA:O is one of my favorite RPGs of all time, and I even enjoyed DA2 enough (ignoring its terrible combat and stupidly reused caves) to play through it twice, and may even play through it again at some point in the future.

45. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Launch Trailer Nov 18, 2014, 11:18 Creston

InBlack wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 03:37:
Most important for me, can you pause in this game and will the commands register properly when you unpause? Can you remove the stupid AI routines and micromanage your party completely? (Baldur's gate FTW).

Caveat emptor: I have basically not used the tactical view yet, so I can't judge on it. In the "real time" mode, yes, you can pause (with CTRL rather than space, so annoying when I keep fucking jumping...), and during the pause you can assign orders and from what I can tell your party follows them. Note that that's on a "one order per pause" basis, as you can't queue them, at least not as far as I can tell.

I don't know that there's a way to get them to just not do anything at all (which I assume is what you're asking with removing the AI routines?) Honestly, your party is so inept on its own that you'll be controlling most of them in turns for most of the serious battles anyway. Since Barrier is such an important spell (they essentially replaced Heal with Barrier, not sure why they thought that was so brilliant), you'd at least expect Solas to cast it the second it becomes available, but no. He'll happily watch Cassandra get the living dogshit hammered out of her and instead cast a fucking 20 damage spell on a demon with 3000000000000 health.

All Ive seen of this game in online previews was almost Diablo like, stupid action sequences where people were casting a bazillion spells a second and destroying everything in their way Rambo style. Please tell me there is more depth to it??

I'm sure that'd happen if you set it to Casual difficulty, but on normal and above you're not rambo'ing through. The Pride Demon basically whupped my ass and if I hadn't been able to stun him through (spoiler) disrupting the rift he was guarding, he'd have wiped me out. Angry Joe did a video of him playing on Nightmare, and every battle (in the TUTORIAL) took quite some time and required him to be smart about placement, using powers, using landscape to kite monsters, etc.

You can cast a ton of spells, yes, though not unlimitedly. I can typically cast one or two, and then I have to wait for my mana to recharge (which admittedly does happen at crazy fast speeds. You go from empty to full in like 10 seconds.)

But it's not just rotating powers the second they get off cooldown (at least not for a mage), you have to be diligent about your mana use.

This comment was edited on Nov 18, 2014, 11:29.

43. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Launch Trailer Nov 18, 2014, 11:09 Creston

Drayth wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 02:59:
After playing through the tutorial thinking this is one of the most gorgeous games I've ever played, I suddenly noticed that Texture in the graphics menu has a higher setting than Ultra.... "Fade Touched"

Also, fix for 30fps cutscenes...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q70DxlW0nb0

Does work for me, but it gives a weird stutter when panning the camera using mouse (but not keyboard, oddly). Most people seem to have no issues with it though.

I didn't even realize that about the textures. Sweet.

And thanks for the linkies!!

Drayth wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 03:08:
Someone on the forum the other day mentioned that the encrypting of the exe happens in memory, not constant writes to the drive. I have it on my SSD, and kept a close eye on the HD light on my case. It doesn't go crazy at all when running the game, just lights up about as much as one would expect.

You'd really need to run an SSD monitor in order to be able to tell. One guy on Bioware's forum posted a pic showing that his SSD had done nearly a million writes, but there was no evidence that it was

A) Caused by DA:I
B) Didn't happen over a large span of time

So as of now I'd treat this as unsubstantiated, but I would definitely recommend people keeping an eye on an SSD monitor before and after playing.

Edit: Seems to have been laid to rest by NegaDeath.

This comment was edited on Nov 18, 2014, 11:26.

42. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Launch Trailer Nov 18, 2014, 11:08 Creston

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 02:12:
Creston wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 01:15:
Be wary that there is a report going around that Denuvo absolutely fucking trashes SSDs with thousands and thousands and thousands of writes. No idea if it's true, I never saw the original report, but until I know for sure, I'm keeping it on my HD.

It does take a LONG time to load things from a HD though...
If that's the case then they become libel for hardware damage, a elua doesn't protect you from shit like that.

Agreed, I'm just throwing it out there as a warning. Several threads have been opened on bioware's forum about it, and in typical fashion, were closed in a hurry by moderators with zero understanding of computers.

Edit :
NegaDeath wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 10:58:
Also for the SSD concerns I checked my drive usage in samsung magician before and after and didn't notice anything significant, assuming it was tracking it properly.

Thanks for checking!

This comment was edited on Nov 18, 2014, 11:26.

28. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Launch Trailer Nov 18, 2014, 01:40 Creston

I've only played through the tutorial, but here are some very early initial thoughts:

The good/great:

- This game is breathtakingly gorgeous. Like Crysis 3 level gorgeous. I've never seen a more beautiful RPG, and I honestly think that CD Projekt has their work cut out for them if they want Witcher 3 to take the crown. Staggering vistas, beautiful landscape design, fantastic looking characters, gorgeous lighting. It's incredible. Just exploring in this game will be enough to entertain me for hours on end. I think my heavily modded Skyrim is going to be replaced as my default desktop background generator. I am genuinely considering getting a 970 or R290 so I can play this game maxed out.

Only weird thing is that small metallic objects all have a weird reflection/glisten to them, at least on my system. Like someone is shining a flashlight into them or something. Kind of odd, maybe a new driver will fix it.

- The game defaulted my 660ti to High on everything except... shit, now I forgot which setting. It set Textures to Ultra and one setting to medium. On 1080p with FXAA but no MSAA, it ran pretty much smoothly, though the framerate did drop a little when I went through a small underground section. All in all, it wasn't bad enough that I felt like I needed to sacrifice image quality for the sake of speed.

Strangely enough, however, the cutscenes run pretty damn terribly. There is noticeable choppiness in them, as if the game is trying to run them @ 30fps, and fails miserably. I've seen many other people report that, so no idea if that's a bug or whatever's going on.

- The animations are awesome. I don't just mean the stupid twirlies they do in combat, I just mean in general. Try having your character walk up a big snowdrift: His footsteps match, and he genuinely struggles to get up that hill the way a normal human would. It looks great. Also, best ever ladder-climbing animation.

- No more shitty, tiny corridors! When I was outside in the tutorial area, there was already plenty of space to walk around. I walked halfway up a mountain and was amazed the game let me walk that far. Found some loot there too.
Also, you can jump now, and drop off stuff that you'd expect to be able to drop off, and the animation looks great, and it just feels so liberating to be able to do that.

- Great voice over work so far.

- LELIANA!!!! <3

- Combat seems meaty and reasonably tough. Each character has like a billion skills to choose from, so you can definitely spec a party the way YOU want it spec'ed. The pride demon at the end of the tutorial was quite a handful, and he cost me all my health potions and even then I barely made it.

However, that was also partially because (here's the mediocre):

- So far, I'm having a tough time getting used to the combat controls. That's partially just because they remapped keys from what I'm used to in DAO and DA2 (space now jumps rather than pauses, so instead of pausing I keep jumping around), but partially also because it seems hard to target specific enemies; enemy melee'ers run for me like I'm covered in Please-Rape-Me Juice and my tank seems to be able to do everything except really tank / keep aggro, Varric is still a cool character but utterly pointless in battle, and the whole having to spam Barrier CONSTANTLY to mitigate damage is going to get old in a fucking hurry, especially since Solas doesn't seem to consider it a priority to cast it on his own. At least when Cassandra builds up Guard, it STAYS between battles.

Entered tactical mode a few times, but it feels so clunky and so obviously controller-designed (you can't even mouse click an enemy in it, you literally have to traverse the target cursor over the ground towards the enemy because, well, that's how it'd work on a controller, right?) that I don't know how often I'd even use it.

I'm sure this will get better with time and practice, but so far I was struggling to really be effective in battle because I was constantly fighting the controls, rather than the enemies I was facing.

The ugly:

- Having to hold either R or left mouse continuously to keep attacking. What.the.fuck...? Seriously, Bioware dev who thought this was a great idea (it was you, wasn't it, Laidlaw?) please sit down at a table and write down the reasons why you thought this was a great idea. I'm sure "It works fine on a controller!" will be your #1 reason. But write down all of them. I'll wait.

Done? Okay. Now cross through EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM, and write "I am a complete idiot, and should never be allowed to design games ever again" on that same sheet.

Holy fuck what an incredibly irritating mechanism...

- No walking towards stufff automatically.

- No "Take all" button. See some loot? Move towards it manually. Hit F. Move the mouse over towards the "take all" button, and left click. To take one piece of loot. And there is a SHITTON of loot in this game. Does having to repeat that procedure 288000 times sound like fun? You're right, it doesn't.

Yes, I'm sure this works just fine on a controller. It DOESN'T WORK FINE ON A M/KB SETUP.

- Story in the tutorial is naf. One minute in and it's "Hey, there's a green thing and you have a green hand. COME WITH US AND HELP US SEAL IT WHICH YOU UNDOUBTEDLY MUST BE ABLE TO DO!"

A reviewer said the abruptness of the tutorial was deliberately written this way, and it pays off about 20 hours into the main story, so I guess I'll see. So far it feels dumb though.

Anyway, they are frustrating niggles, but I'm hopeful Bioware will fix that. A "take all" button should be pretty easy to implement, and the auto-attack thing, I guess we'll see.

All in all, very impressed with the game so far. I'll play a bit more tomorrow night, but huge session on wednesday after which I'll give a more detailed opinion.

26. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Launch Trailer Nov 18, 2014, 01:15 Creston

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 01:07:
HorrorScope wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 23:33:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 23:05:
Load speeds 6/10.

How often do you need to load?
Whenever you zone transition. Sometimes it can be a lot, sometimes not. But before I tossed it on my old SSD(2nd gen), I had more than a few cases where the load times were nearly 2 mins. On there, under 30 seconds.

Be wary that there is a report going around that Denuvo absolutely fucking trashes SSDs with thousands and thousands and thousands of writes. No idea if it's true, I never saw the original report, but until I know for sure, I'm keeping it on my HD.

It does take a LONG time to load things from a HD though...

22. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Launch Trailer Nov 17, 2014, 23:56 Creston

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 23:53:
But let me refine my question, we aren't loading no where near as much as the first two games, right? These are big ass areas??

Not all of them are, but several of these zones are absolutely gargantuan, yeah. The Hinterlands (the first zone you go to) is probably the size of a bunch of DA:O maps combined.

Once you're in one of those zones, it's almost Skyrim-like. You can just roam wherever you want, picking up side missions, exploring caves, dungeons and such and they're huge.

20. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Launch Trailer Nov 17, 2014, 23:42 Creston

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 23:33:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 23:05:
Load speeds 6/10.

How often do you need to load?

Cutscenes, zone transitions etc. Once you're in a zone, it never loads (at least not that you notice.)

But when it loads, it apparently does take awhile. (Then again, DA:O was the same way. God that game took forever to load sometimes...)

19. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Launch Trailer Nov 17, 2014, 23:40 Creston

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 20:55:
Gorgeous little video... I am extremely backlogged gamewise though, so they have at least 6months to a year to iron out bugs and camera issues before I jump on the bandwagon.

Where are the Early adopters though? Creston?

Still sitting here waiting on that damn Play button to light up.

News Comments > Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped
257. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 17, 2014, 17:43 Creston

Slick wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 17:10:
how do you even respond to shit like this? this is what i was referring to in my last post regarding people who only post hate, lies, or personal attacks. P.S. SAY MY NAME BITCH! ;)

Oh, were you talking to me, DUH??? Wow, I'd have never guessed, since it's pretty much all you've been whining about for roughly the last four weeks. Also, personal attacks. Here, look up the word Hypocrisy.

Maybe if you google "Hypocrisy in crayons", they'll explain it in a way that's simple enough for you to understand.

Riiiiiiiiiight... pretty sure i never insinuated that people don't have a right to an opinion,

Yeah, that's pretty much what you are insinuating when you say "this doesn't affect you."

so far no one, fucking ZERO people have answered in the affirmative

Because nobody bothers to set your bullshit straight. Why waste the time? You'll go right on believing that what YOU believe is the only way the world works.

right... again, i don't remember dictating anything, you must have a perilous grasp on the english language.

No, my grasp of the english language is perfectly capable. You are pathetically incapable of making a coherent argument. Dictating anything IS ALL YOU FUCKING DO. That's the whole gist of you trying to pretend that you can tell people "this doesn't affect you." You don't get to fucking choose what affects other people.

If you want to make a big stink about there being a small crack in the sidewalk,

More Interesting Concepts For You To Study

what do you really want? for the rest of the world to hang back and cater to the 0.1% of PC gamers who don't have internet? grow up. it's 2014, if you're not wired by now what exactly are you doing in a tech forum?

Never said that. There you go dictating shit again. What I want is for a dev who kickstarts a game to stick by his promises, because if too many of them don't, it'll destroy the entire game kickstarter movement. Other than that, I'll simply not buy the game.

since WHEN was PC GAMING all about catering to the lowest common denominator?

since WHEN was PC GAMING all about making sure everything works just fine if you were technologically living in 1998?

Kickstarting a game on a promise of offline play, especially when that promise was made to sway more people into funding, is a pretty big deal. I'd hate to see the model get broken over shit like that.

In any case, I'm going back to ignoring you, because I have no desire for an 18 post "yes/no" argument, but please go ahead with your little desperate pleas for attention in every single thread you post, and keep fighting your good fight how you wish everyone was just more like you and what a wonderful community we could build if we all just listened to you. I'm sure it'll go great.

251. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 17, 2014, 17:31 Creston

Beamer wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 16:22:
Others are like Creston, who has repeatedly mentioned his cruddy DSL connection.

God, I wish I had DSL...

Without more details, not knowing if a small blip will end his play session is a huge issue.

It is to me. Being kicked out of a game because my internet "blips" would aggravate the shit out of me, and my internet connection at home "blips" a lot. Usually not for a long time, maybe 5 or 10 minutes or so, but it happens quite often.

And God forbid if it goes down, because it is down for days. In order to fix it, they have to get a guy to climb into a radio tower and fix whatever hardware is broken. If it goes down on a Friday, it typically doesn't get fixed until Monday/Tuesday.

I simply do not (or I should say, no longer) buy games where circumstances that essentially have nothing to do with the game itself will dictate whether I can play it or not.

In reality, most people complaining will probably never have any problem at all. They build up all these potential issues, but those will never actually occur.

Probably not, but it's each individual's decision whether it's a big enough deal to not buy a game.

Regardless, they also bought the game not thinking they'd need to worry about it. Had the game been always always-on, they would have complained and moved on.

Exactly. Had they said from day one "This will be online-only", I'd have never even bothered to get excited for it.

I have great uptime on my connection, so this isn't something I'd blink at. I recall the days before Steam offline and being furious at my internet being down for the 20 minutes I wanted to game. If I still had a similar connection, I'd be pretty bummed.

If I still lived in the city and still had Cox, this probably wouldn't bother me at all. Cox was pretty stable when I had it. My circumstances are different now, ergo, so are my priorities in what types of games to get.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 17, 2014, 16:13 Creston

Oh, duh. Fucking Mondays... My bad.

News Comments > Game Sessions Steam Trials Add Ryse Son of Rome
17. Re: Game Sessions Steam Trials Add Ryse Son of Rome Nov 17, 2014, 16:11 Creston

Cool. Thanks for explaining.  

238. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 17, 2014, 16:05 Creston

Slick wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 15:40:
It's like people really can't handle an opinion that flies in the face of their perceived reality.

Wow. You HAVE to be a politician. Congratulations on making the most ridiculously self-absorbed bullshit post in the history of this website. Let me quote a few of your drivels from this thread back at you (and rejoice in the fact that I spent five minutes acknowledging you, which seems to be what you're so fucking ridiculously desperate for.)

-which assuming you're reading this on said internet, shouldn't be an issue for you. unless you're in the Congo or at a hotel or whatever someone said on the last page. usually when i'm staying at a hotel or umm, the Congo, i like to take my mid-tower, monitor, oculus rift, HOTAS, keyboard, mouse, and headphones with me.

-pretty much? it doesn't affect anyone reading this

-You seem to be puzzled as to why someone might have an opinion as to you canceling a pre-order for a game (the word irony really doesn't mean shit to you, does it? I mean, you USE it often enough, but I seriously doubt you really fathom its actual meaning.)

-you're not affected at all by having to be online, because you're online right now.

-but this only further illustrates the point, who would want to play this in solo mode? it's borderline boring in open multiplayer, why would you want less stimulation?

That's just going back about a page and a half and I'm already bored. You're continuously dictating to others what they should feel and think about, well, basically everything. If someone has a slightly different opinion than you about this, with your opinion being "whatever a publisher/dev chooses to do to you, just suck it the fuck up", you will respond to literally every single person individually and tell them "This doesn't affect you."

Why do you do this? Well, because this decision doesn't affect YOU personally, therefore, it can't possibly affect other people either, right? The World According To Slick. Don't you ever get tired of admiring yourself in your little silver mirror?

Let me explain it to you, one more time: If someone finds offline play important, that's their actual right. If someone finds it important enough to cancel their Kickstarter pledge for, because Braben broke his promise, again, that's their right. It doesn't affect you or others? Great. Enjoy playing E:D online with everyone else. There are people whom it does affect, and unfortunately for you, their opinion is just as valid as yours, even though that really doesn't stroke with this fantasy of yours where you dictate reality to all and sundry.

People can't really handle an opinion? There has been exactly one dude in this thread that's been posting ninety billion words to EVERY.SINGLE.INDIVIDUAL who says they personally have a problem with this decision, and that dude is you. Pot, Kettle, etc.

People have different opinions on things. You don't get to dictate what's important to other people, or what missing feature makes someone not buy a game. If you want to be able to do that, make your own news website, with your own forum, and let everyone know from the start that YOUR opinion is the only one that counts. Good luck.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 17, 2014, 15:44 Creston

Verno wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 15:25:
They needed some sort of bullet point other than "a different version number". I agree that its not going to get a lot of use outside of enthusiast circles. Heck I'm an enthusiast and I can't see myself using it much outside of work.

Outside of work, what would you even use it for? It's not going to run games, so other than browsing dodgy websites infested with malware I don't really see a purpose to them. (for private use.)

News Comments > Game Sessions Steam Trials Add Ryse Son of Rome
15. Re: Game Sessions Steam Trials Add Ryse Son of Rome Nov 17, 2014, 15:42 Creston

Ed_French wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 14:46:
Right now you do download a second time when you purhcase, but you can play on in the trial in the meantime. Shortly we'll be transferring the files over when you purchase so it'll make that just a patching process (it took us 7 minutes in test).

That'd be solid, and the ability to test a game is appreciated. Out of curiosity, how exactly does GameSessions make money off this? Do you get referral fees?

24491 Comments. 1225 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo