Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 24499 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Far Cry 4
34. Re: Ships Ahoy - Far Cry 4 Nov 18, 2014, 16:50 Creston

Beamer wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 16:40:
Once you took an area out the guys didn't come back. Prior to that they did, but it was mean to seem like the island was alive. No different than any open world, I guess. FC2, while I didn't get far enough in to see, I'd heard has spawns in front of you as you fight.

Not quite that bad, but you could wipe out a checkpoint, go a little ways away (so the checkpoint was actually still visible), fight some other dudes, and the checkpoint would respawn. And that in itself wasn't maybe even the big problem, but it would respawn with the exact same guys, in the exact same locations. Big black dude sitting at a table reading a newspaper? He'd respawn 30 seconds later sitting at that same table, reading the same newspaper.

FC3's implementation was a lot better, but still technically features infinite spawns. If you're fighting on a crossroads and are blowing up enemy jeeps, the game will just keep spawning them endlessly.

I had read another article on FC4 mentioning the "meta"ness of FC3. I didn't know the writer had said that. It didn't ring true for me. I didn't think it ruined the game, by any means, but it was just lame. Some seemed to think the older brother would have been better, but I disagree. The German guy, now that was a protagonist.

Yeah he would have been cool.

Here was an excellent interview with Yohalem regarding FC3's story, and you can see how his story changes to suit the needs of the thing he's trying to explain.

Whether he meant it as some kind of meta-commentary on the insanity of open-world shooters or meant the story absolutely seriously, the simple fact remains that if you have to later explain the story in an interview, it was simply a pisspoor story.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dragon Age: Inquisition
30. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dragon Age Inquisition Nov 18, 2014, 16:28 Creston

I knew that already.

Honestly, I don't mind, because I actually agree with their reasoning behind it. If they did make her a romance option here, a lot of people would complain at the fact that she's obviously ditched her love for the Warden. I'd rather she just stays true to the Warden.

It's just cool to have her back, because I love her (voice actress') voice.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
12. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 18, 2014, 16:10 Creston

DrSquick wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 15:57:
Frags4Fun wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 11:51:
nin wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 11:05:
Damn, check out how clear the sky is...you can see for miles.

Sarcasm?

Yeah I'm confused too, it doesn't really look any better than the PS3, does it?

Uh, yeah it does... On the PS3 you'd have a ton of clouds blocking a lot of your vision, and the LoD (far distance look) is a lot lower res. This definitely looks better.

News Comments > Forza Horizon 2 Listed for PC?
11. Re: Forza Horizon 2 Listed for PC? Nov 18, 2014, 16:02 Creston

Cutter wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 14:19:
Yeah but there's already a ton of PC racing games and more on the way.

There aren't that many free-roam racing games, though, and Horizons 2 does look effing awesome.

28. Re: Ships Ahoy - Far Cry 4 Nov 18, 2014, 15:40 Creston

Btw, some useful guides and benchmarks.  

27. Re: Ships Ahoy - Far Cry 4 Nov 18, 2014, 15:38 Creston

Beamer wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 15:30:
FC3 had no infinite respawns

Well..... Technically it did, right? I mean, if you wipe out a patrol of bad guys, more of them will show up randomly. And if you leave a particular area then come back a little while later, there will likely be bad guys again.

It hides it much better because it doesn't have the static checkpoints where the bad guys respawned every 10 seconds in exactly the same configuration a la FC2, but, I mean, it's also not as if you can just wipe out all the bad guys in one zone. I once wound up wiping up roughly a dozen jeeps' worth of bad guys, and another one pulled up, and I finally just said "Fuck it!" and left.

Sidenote though, if you take out the outpost of an area, that area will become a friendly zone, and no bad guys will spawn there anymore. I don't know whether that's really a better way of doing it though, because it would quickly make the whole island basically boring as hell, since it was WAAAAAY too easy to clear those outposts.

and was a fantastic open-world FPS that possibly went on too long (more accurately, did a bad job at making you realize you were only halfway done and not 90% done) but was a huge blast.

Agreed. Ignoring the crappy story, it's a ton of fun to play.

The vapid bro main character saving the world was weak, but some will argue it was supposed to be meta. Still, the actual gameplay was top notch.

The only one who ever argued that was the writer, Yohalem. And his arguments changed based on whatever he felt he needed to defend. The whole thing was just a pisspoor story, no matter how badly he tried to pretend that it was deliberate and was supposed to "make you think about all the stupid things games make you do."

Yeah, it's a game, Yohalem. That's kind of why I fucking play them. Rolleyes

This comment was edited on Nov 18, 2014, 15:47.

News Comments > etc.
10. Re: etc. Nov 18, 2014, 15:22 Creston

Kenny Loggins: "Danger Zone"

FUCK YEEEEEEEEESSSS!!!!!

Best song to hijack a military jet with while playing as Trevor sporting a mega-mullet.

28. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dragon Age Inquisition Nov 18, 2014, 15:10 Creston

Btw, Origin related thing. You can now actually take a downloaded game, copy it to a different system, run Origin, and Origin will recognize that the game is already downloaded and just proceed to install it. Iow, you can now port games between computers. Just straight up copying works.

Edit : For clarity's sake, this is how I did it and how it seems to work.

1) Start download of game on target computer. Let it download a few MBs.
2) Pause download. Exit out of Origin completely.
3) Copy full game from different location onto target computer's folder. (Which will be where you specify Origin to install games under the Advanced settings.)
4) Relaunch Origin.
5) Resume the download. It should almost immediately switch straight to "installing."

Took them awhile, but it's cool that they finally implemented this.

27. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dragon Age Inquisition Nov 18, 2014, 15:09 Creston

Good luck, hope your friend can get it fixed.

25. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dragon Age Inquisition Nov 18, 2014, 15:02 Creston

Btw, Bioware just released the English Voice Over pack for DA:I. That's an awesome move for those people who otherwise get shafted with EA's retarded "You live in Burundi, you MUST therefore want the game in BURUNDI-TALK!"

They said they'd look into a way to get the English VOs to people who wanted them, and they stuck with that promise. Awesome.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2014, 14:58 Creston

Cutter wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 14:27:
I used to live next door to this redneck and he was the one who corrected me on it. 'Transmission? What the fuck is that, eh? It's a fuckin' tranny, buddy!'

Everyone in my neck of the woods calls it a tranny. Admittedly, I live fairly deep in redneck country.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2014, 14:57 Creston

Pigeon wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 14:39:
Creston wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 11:35:
nin wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 09:39:
Expensive Tuesday! Bowie, McCartney, and Depeche Mode. GTA, Dragon Age, and Far Cry. $250 later...

Teehee.

Hey guys, any advice on what the current price/performance nadir is for graphics cards? Is the 970 just wiping everything away, or is a top flight Radeon a worthy contender, especially considering DA:I (what I'm upgrading for) uses Mantle?

Looks like the 970 is overall the better card, but the R9 290x isn't far behind, and looks to be the better card DA:I (granted the only benchmarks I saw were on a German site so I could have misunderstood a few things)

Yeah, I asked on the forum, and got a few "eh, a few frames per second more with Mantle" to one guy who claimed Mantle gave him 40% better framerate. Apparently Mantle is pretty dependent on CPU; the better your CPU, the less Mantle helps. I've got a pretty good CPU, so whether it'd help was debatable.

I went with a 970. Getting a free 60 dollar game I was already interested in (FC4) just kinda sealed the deal.

21. Re: Ships Ahoy - Far Cry 4 Nov 18, 2014, 14:47 Creston

LOC wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 14:41:
Prez wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 12:53:
It's not the cluster that AC Unity was at launch is it?

Check this one out:

Currently myself and many others on the Steam forums (and beyond) can't launch the game because of some sort of USB debugging thing going on. The game freezes as it's going full screen and just stops. Some people fix it by unplugging everything but a keyboard and mouse (mind you, serial mouse and kb not usb) and some people like me unplug everything including a 360 pad and still can't play it.

So, for some of us, it's a cluster screwjob still.

Ubisoft Kiev for the win again! Those guys are just awesome. I bet they do PC ports while not actually even having a PC in their entire office. They probably port on a fucking Vic20

22. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dragon Age Inquisition Nov 18, 2014, 14:44 Creston

Paranoid Jack wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 14:34:
I've only played an hour between laying sod until 9:30 pm and jury duty this morning... but I think space bar loots all items.

I will try that out, thanks dude.

19. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dragon Age Inquisition Nov 18, 2014, 14:31 Creston

Cutter wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 14:25:
Creston wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 12:52:
Darks wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 12:15:
I have a friend who worked on this game, I'm going to be asking him to put In a request to put in auto combat.

Or at the least make it so we can toggle it...

Also ask them to allow for a keyboard shortcut to the "take all" functionality. Having to move your mouse over to the physical location of the botton on screen gets boring in a hurry. You're already hitting F to take the loot, who not just hit F again to take all? Like RPGs have been doing for a dozen years or so already.

So it needs Autoloot, Autocombat and Focus Combat fixed for the PC? Start a thread on their forums and see if you can't get the ball rolling.

There are at least ten such threads already. In fact, such threads already existed before the game even went live officially.

We'll see if they listen. I doubt it, but who knows.

18. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dragon Age Inquisition Nov 18, 2014, 14:30 Creston

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 14:14:
This uses Denuvo, so no thanks. I don't care how good it looks. Steam/Origin is DRM enough. There's no goddamned need to decrypt, read/write in to memory and then re-encrypt on the fly. This a game, not a fucking NSA database.

But but but... the multiplayerz!!!

(I know, it's a bullshit excuse. Yet bioware devs keep giving it with a straight face. It's not DRM, according to them, it's purely done to make sure nobody can tamper with multiplayer. Because, you know, co-op four man horde mode multiplayer would be wildly unpopular if some douche was cheating his way to killing shit faster.)

News Comments > New NVIDIA Drivers
8. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Nov 18, 2014, 13:57 Creston

SirKnight wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 12:47:
I've played only an hour and barely scratched the surface but so far I love it. It's FC3 TURNT UP.

That's good to hear. I will definitely get this with my free game download.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Launch Trailer
58. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Launch Trailer Nov 18, 2014, 13:41 Creston

Drayth wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 13:20:
From the forum..
http://postimg.org/image/46v2ej7kx/

Okay, awesome, so that's just a bogus-ass rumor then. Thanks Drayth

News Comments > No MP for Just Cause 3 Launch
7. Re: No MP for Just Cause 3 Launch Nov 18, 2014, 12:54 Creston

siapnar wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 12:52:
Yeah, it's true. There was a lot to be desired from the MP mod for JC2; it was easily repetitive.

But it was just that, a mod. Pretty impressive in that respect.

Oh absolutely. Seeing 300+ guys on the map is freaking incredible.

But yeah, I'll double Darks' call for co-op. That really would be awesome.

10. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dragon Age Inquisition Nov 18, 2014, 12:52 Creston

Darks wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 12:15:
I have a friend who worked on this game, I'm going to be asking him to put In a request to put in auto combat.

Or at the least make it so we can toggle it...

Also ask them to allow for a keyboard shortcut to the "take all" functionality. Having to move your mouse over to the physical location of the botton on screen gets boring in a hurry. You're already hitting F to take the loot, who not just hit F again to take all? Like RPGs have been doing for a dozen years or so already.

24499 Comments. 1225 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo