Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 23793 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B?
62. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 12:48 Creston

jacobvandy wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 12:18:
You put a huge PR department behind promotion and licensing and some legit R&D behind coming up with new products and game concepts...

None of which MS has when it comes to games.

But I can't wait for the next indecipherable MS advertisement where Nutella and Dara O'Briain are buying fishing rods and bait for 90 seconds, and that somehow is going to sell more copies of MC.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

61. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 12:46 Creston

PHJF wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 12:21:
It's not that easy to sell a slightly better toolset all over again, since a ton of people will just stay on the old version, especially on the PC where all the mods have already made Minecraft a hundred times better than anything MS can cook up.

Obviously you've never heard of The Sims.

Sims has nothing near the mods that Minecraft does. The new versions of the Sims have also nowhere near made 2 billion dollars, so even if Minecraft turns into the next Sims, it's not going to make MS a dime. There are tons of people still playing Sims and Sims 2.

As for the DLC for the Sims, which is mostly just content, I guess MS might just DLC Minecraft to death in an effort to make more money, but again, half of its existing fanbase is on the PC with an absolute crapload of mods, so how many of them are going to buy half-assed DLC? Especially if it's the kind of DLC that so far, Mojang has been giving them for free?

I just don't see it, but who knows, maybe this will be the first MS acquisition that makes money since they bought Visio.

General Discussion > Amazon Orders
15. Re: Amazon Orders Sep 10, 2014, 12:43 Creston

Blue wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 12:29:
Prez wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 10:32:
Well I bought about $50 of mp3's through the link provided. Hopefully it shows up.

A bunch of MP3s did show up, thanks!

Every attempt to verify this process indicates it's working well, and I thank you all for your support. We got our approval from Amazon.de, Amazon.co.uk, and Amazon.ca, so I have added a widget with links to all of them close to the top of the front page. This seems a little cluttery, which I will work on, but it's all functioning now.

Glad it's working so well, Blue.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2014, 12:03 Creston

Ratty wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 11:50:
PHJF wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 11:34:
Cooking from scratch can actually get stupid expensive. I've made relatively simple dishes that easily end up with a food cost rivaling the price of a meal at a restaurant. I use a simple salsa recipe (roma tomato, green onion, garlic, salt, lime juice, cilantro, hot sauce) that costs significantly more than simply buying a jar of Pace.
Amen. There's a lot of things I just don't cook anymore. I have a kickass recipe for the perfect chewy chocolate brownies. But Ghiradelli's brownie mix in the store can usually be had at $1.99 a box or less on sale and they're just as good to me and about one fifth as expensive. If store-bought is cheaper and tastes almost as good that's what I get. I save my cooking for things that really do taste much better homemade.

The argument isn't about taste, it's about whether it's healthy. Your home made brownies are probably a lot less unhealthy than the box of Girardelli. Same for homemade salsa vs a jar of Pace.

54. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 11:57 Creston

Dagnamit wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 11:47:
You think Nintendo has made 2 billion off of Mario? Microsoft is betting that Minecraft is this generation's Mario. I think they're right. The last last I've seen so many children wearing video game branded clothes and talking about video games so openly was circa 1989. Make no mistake, Minecraft is a force of nature at this point and EASILY worth 2 billion. No question.

Revenue wise, Nintendo has probably broken the 2 billion mark on Mario, yes. In order to recoup their initial investment, Microsoft wouldn't need 2 billion in revenue off future Minecraft products, they'd need 2 billion in PROFIT, just to break even. From an IP that has already sold 54 million copies for which they got zero dollars and zero cents. (ignoring all the merch, which makes a lot of money for companies other than Mojang.)

So you're saying that you think Minecraft, as an IP, is worth an additional 2 billion in profit? You're entitled to your opinion, but I think it's stupendously optimistic.

Also, it's easy to sell another Mario. You just build new levels and new content, and all Mario fans will buy it. Minecraft is a toolset that allows people to produce their own content. It's not that easy to sell a slightly better toolset all over again, since a ton of people will just stay on the old version, especially on the PC where all the mods have already made Minecraft a hundred times better than anything MS can cook up.

In the end, 2 billion is chump change for MS, and it's not like this will be an aQuantive type deal where they literally just threw away money. But it'll be pretty similar to their Rage deal, where it got them very, very little in return on their initial investment.

41. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 11:15 Creston

Omni wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 11:13:
Cutter wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 10:49:
2B for what? 1 game? And the stupidity at MS continues unabated.

Minecraft is a endless money pit its just not 1 game its history and much more. If MS buys Mojang they essential can make the next Minecarft a exclusive xbox game if that's even a thing in the future.

And everyone who doesn't have an Xbox will just keep on playing their current version of Minecraft, and not give a shit about the exclusivity.

There is no way to make back 2 billion dollars out of a game studio. None. You couldn't even make that back if you bought Rockstar.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2014, 11:03 Creston

Blue wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 10:34:
Creston wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 10:21:
Mike Vick murders dogs and runs an illegal gambling ring, and got two games.

I don't know anyone than a greater distaste for Michael Vick than me, but just for the sake of factuality, he was suspended "indefinitely" in August 2007 and was not reinstated until week three of the 2009 season, so his suspension actually lasted 34 games, though for a good portion of that time he was in prison.

It was just a semantics suspension, though. Had he never gone to jail, do you really think he'd have been suspended for 34 games? It's easy to suspend someone when they can't actually play anyway.

News Comments > Next Total War Reveal This Month
22. Re: Next Total War Reveal This Month Sep 10, 2014, 10:29 Creston

These guys really are just a one-trick pony. It's a good trick, but it's getting pretty stale by now, fellas.

Btw, the next Total War will have "EIGHTY-SEVEN FULL-TIME DEVELOPERS TOTALLY DEVOTED TO JUST THE AI ALONE! TRUST US!"

29. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 10:26 Creston

Wolfox wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 10:22:
Microsoft did their homework this time.

https://twitter.com/notch/status/281139739304800256

For those who won't click the link - it's a Dec 18 2012 tweet by Notch saying "Anyway, my price is two billion dollars. Give me two billion dollars, and I'll endorse your crap."

Hahahaa that's priceless.

Notch: I raise to 2 billion!
Microsoft: Call.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2014, 10:21 Creston

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 10:06:
The NFL is a joke of course, they clearly should have fired Ray Rice immediately. The real question should be, how did Ray Rice NOT go to prison in the first place? Nice work, police.

Why are people surprised Goodell didn't do more initially... the NFL has a history of suspending murderers and rapists for only like 5-6 games. Of course they gave Rice a 2 game suspension, he merely knocked a woman unconscious. *rolls eyes so hard he injures his neck*

Roethlisberger got suspended for six games for, essentially, having consentual sex in a public bathroom.

Mike Vick murders dogs and runs an illegal gambling ring, and got two games.

The Ginger Hammer is a flunky of the owners. He is there to protect the owners. When an owner says "No", all Gooddell can do is be the useless fucking bobblehead that he is. But even if the owners give their blessings, none of his rulings make any fucking sense. It's like he's brain damaged or something.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 10, 2014, 10:18 Creston

No shit. Hopefully baseball is next. Fuck you, Bud fucking Selig.

24. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 10:15 Creston

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 10:09:
Creston wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 10:04:
It's good to see Nutella being just as stupid with their money as Ballmer was.
I assume you are referring to the purchase of the Clippers. Ballmer spent, as a percentage of net worth, less on the Clippers than I did on my house. He wanted it, he had the money, he bought it. Probably how you make most of your purchasing decisions.

What do the Clippers have to do with anything? I'm talking about MS, under Ballmer, buying dozens of companies that Microsoft had absolutely NO USE for, and later often closed or just dissolved into generic nothingness.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 10, 2014, 10:14 Creston

Damn, it's got to be nice to have a job so awesome that you can just sleep in your car and save all that rent/mortgage money.  

News Comments > Transverse Could Have Been Wing Commander Online; Gamers Skeptical
1. Re: Transverse Could Have Been Wing Commander Online; Gamers Skeptical Sep 10, 2014, 10:10 Creston

We were worried it was going to be Wing Commander: Online EA offered them the license at one point."

EA: Continually Raping Your Beloved Franchises Since 1995!

20. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 10:04 Creston

Verno wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 10:00:
He can already retire many times over, Minecraft has made him a multi-millionaire though I'm sure becoming a billionaire is also pretty damned appealing. It's not really a question if its personally attractive to him because that kind of goes without saying. I'm more curious about why Microsoft would want to do this and whats going to happen to it afterward (nothing good).

When has MS ever bought something because it made sense? So far they've acquired 165 companies and less than a handful of these have been even remotely considered smart.

It's good to see Nutella being just as stupid with their money as Ballmer was.

17. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 10:00 Creston

For 2 billion dollars I'd sell out to pretty much everybody. I'd become Oprah's personal gimp if she offered me 2 billion.

Of course, as soon as MS buys Mojang, Mojang will go completely into the crapper, as has happened with pretty much every other software house MS has bought, so I imagine Notch would immediately bail and just start up something else.

Hot damn, from nobody to billionaire in, what... five years? Less?

News Comments > Op Ed
32. Re: Op Ed Sep 9, 2014, 14:04 Creston

UHD wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 10:42:
No, it means "Watergate" was an actual scandal that had significant real-world consequences, whereas "Gamergate" is inconsequential and only has importance if you get mad when someone you don't know says something vague but negative about your preferred subculture.

Inconsequential??? Come on, it has at least double the impact of Cameragate!!

2. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 8, 2014, 10:18 Creston

I think I went 6-8 so far this week, and have no faith in tonight's picks, so I'm right there with ya, Blue!

This comment was edited on Sep 8, 2014, 10:26.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - PC Dead Rising 3
9. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC Dead Rising 3 Sep 6, 2014, 12:02 Creston

It looks pretty fun, and I would actually really like to play it, but I refuse to buy what many people are calling a (piss)poor port.

Maybe when it's $5. Next time put at least five cents of effort into it, Capcom.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2014, 17:15 Creston

1badmf wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 16:35:
Creston wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 15:58:
Please refer to Marshawn Lynch by his actual name, that being BEEF MOE.

Skittles is also allowed.

hahahahaha does he really talk like that? i've never seen an interview with him.

also, around 20 people picked the packers in the pickem league XD. although i have to confess i almost did myself just on the basis of likelihood of upset.

Nah, Marshawn is actually a pretty well-spoken guy. Not like Oxford well-spoken, but compared to some of the guys in the NFL he's practically Nolan North.

KSK just loves to make caricatures out of players that are funny. BEEF MOE is good, but their treatment of Pacman Jones during his playing days was beyond awesome.

As for the GB pick, it seemed a little far-fetched to me too, but you have to try to pick some upsets if you want to finish well.

23793 Comments. 1190 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo