Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 25501 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
23. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 1, 2015, 23:11 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Apr 1, 2015, 15:38:
PHJF wrote on Apr 1, 2015, 10:50:
I see what you did there...

Bobbob is only partly fooling.

1) They should have started that after the first year of severe drought.
2) It's pointless, because as the article points out: The restrictions, importantly, donít affect agriculture, which is responsible for about 80 percent of the stateís water usage

Solution: Build desalinization plants, and make the agriculture sector pay for them, since they're the ones that are mostly wasting all the water. Also, stop sending water to Las Vegas for their fucking golf courses.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Patch to Fix Stats
31. Re: Pillars of Eternity Patch to Fix Stats Apr 1, 2015, 23:04 Creston

Medwynd wrote on Apr 1, 2015, 16:07:
eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 1, 2015, 11:27:
That load time issue gets MUCH worse later on, there is an ENTIRE second city in act 3... I stopped playing for now ^^

Been following this issue on reddit:
"Some of you may have experienced a noticeable increase in their load/save time over the course of the game. It may be caused by two bugs, one involving the Chanter phrase "Rime and Frost" and the other one persisting summons.

What is this bug and why does it happen ?

There are two separate issues, but both are fixed using the same method. The first one is caused by "Rime and Frost". This ability creates traps that freeze your enemies. The problem is that after the end of the fight, those traps do not disappear - you may have noticed that if you enter scout mode just after a fight, your party will detect a bunch of invisible traps - and their positions are stored in your save file, in the MobileObjects.save file to be exact. The same problem arises with summons that persist after the end of a fight. Saving the positions of hundreds of different objects requires a lot of space, and your MobileObjects file may be in the dozens of megs once extracted from your save archive. This in turn makes save and load time really fucking long (I once had enough time to play an hearthstone game to completion on my tablet while the game was loading. Yeah.)."

Reddit post with fixes

Thanks for the linkies!

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 1, 2015, 09:16 Creston

nin wrote on Apr 1, 2015, 09:00:
Microsoft floated the idea of giving away the Xbox.

I can only imagine the cackles that went around the room immediately after.

Followed by that poor schnuck being taken away for "retraining." Three years from now the police will find his dessicated remains in a landfill in Nova Scotia.

We said, 'Look, this is about building better environments for developers so that you can get better games at cheaper prices and developers can stay in business longer'."

Hahahahaha. Oh Lorne, you're so foolishly naive.

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Game Length
57. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Game Length Apr 1, 2015, 09:14 Creston

Overon wrote on Apr 1, 2015, 06:34:
When a dev gives you a number about how long their game is, take it with a grain of salt. History has shown that they tend to exaggerate.

True, but it goes by degrees. When a dev says their game is 12 hours, it usually turns out to be 6-8 hours. When a dev says their game is 200 hours, in my experience it's usually around or over the 100 hour mark. So it's still a huge game by any measure.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Patch to Fix Stats
1. Re: Pillars of Eternity Patch to Fix Stats Apr 1, 2015, 09:10 Creston

Awesome. Really want to get started playing.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
31. Re: Ok who did I piss off? Apr 1, 2015, 00:52 Creston

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 31, 2015, 16:31:
/rant mode

Turned 40 today,

Ooooh, the big Four-Oh! Happy/Not-So-Happy? level up day man!

Sucks about the money though. What a bitch.

53. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Game Length Apr 1, 2015, 00:50 Creston

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 31, 2015, 23:20:
How long is Skyrim? 200 hours, 400 hours? The world may never know?

I've got over a thousand hours in it, and in my last playthrough I actually came across a quest I'd never done before. (I'd seen it many times, but had never actually done it.)

50. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Game Length Mar 31, 2015, 22:13 Creston

Krovven wrote on Mar 31, 2015, 17:41:
From the small and linear outdoor areas in TW2, you start to miss exploring the swamp in TW.

Yeah, the exploration aspect was very much missing from TW2, but I still liked it better overall than TW1. I do definitely agree that TW1 had more gameplay, but the "rhythm clicking" combat really never caught my fancy, and that's a pretty darn huge part of TW1.

News Comments > Evening Previews
5. Re: Evening Previews Mar 31, 2015, 21:43 Creston

HALF built? That's being awfully generous, isn't it?

It's a good article, though. That dude who dropped 22.5K on it, holy heck.

This comment was edited on Mar 31, 2015, 21:54.

45. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Game Length Mar 31, 2015, 17:36 Creston

Task wrote on Mar 31, 2015, 16:19:
Creston wrote on Mar 31, 2015, 15:34:
Witcher 2 absolutely, because it's a great game. Witcher 1... eh. I mean, I liked it, but it was definitely quirky and it had some areas that were just a giant fucking CHORE to play through (whoever designed that fucking swamp should be forced to spend two weeks in said swamp, naked and tied to a fucking submerged log...)

Maybe they did, lol. Untouched swamps can be quite daunting/dangerous places to traipse through. There are some early tricks to "The Swamp" area early on though, that make the going a bit easier (which involves grinding against Cockatrices in a certain cave to level 30-35, and also retrieving a certain free sword by luring out Wyverns in another 'certain area' one at a time). Accomplishing those two things makes The Swamp and by extension the rest of the game a cake walk as you come out of The Swamp a hulking beast of a Witcher by overleveling.

Right, but then you're swapping the grind in the swamp for the grind against the cockatrices, and it doesn't make the swamp any less annoying to travel through.

(I did actually grind the cockatrices for awhile when I saw how much XP they gave. I did a few grinds against very xp-high monsters, so all in all the game wasn't too hard, it's just that that swamp area was so freaking irritating...)

News Comments > The Sims 4: Get to Work Released
5. Re: The Sims 4: Get to Work Released Mar 31, 2015, 15:43 Creston

nin wrote on Mar 31, 2015, 09:05:
Is there a career path where you make a successful game, get bought by a big company, and then have your studio closed?

It's called the "Look Outside Your Cubicle, EA Peasant" DLC.

34. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Game Length Mar 31, 2015, 15:34 Creston

Chromius wrote on Mar 31, 2015, 15:10:
Is it worth playing Witcher 1 enhanced and Witcher 2 for the story

Witcher 2 absolutely, because it's a great game. Witcher 1... eh. I mean, I liked it, but it was definitely quirky and it had some areas that were just a giant fucking CHORE to play through (whoever designed that fucking swamp should be forced to spend two weeks in said swamp, naked and tied to a fucking submerged log...)

The story is still good in it, but you can probably get that from a good synopsis or even a few "Let's Play!" videos. That said, the story does carry over between all three games, and you'd probably be scratching your head if you don't know it, but I would imagine that they'll do a "Previously, on the Witcher" type of intro movie.

But I do recommend Witcher 2. It's an excellent game.

Slashman wrote on Mar 31, 2015, 15:15:
They all have good stories, but none really REQUIRE each other to enjoy.

There is quite a bit of the story that carries over, actually... The main arc with the Wild Hunt carries over, Yennefer, Trish, the big decisions you make in W1.

You probably don't need to have played the previous chapters in order to be able to enjoy it, but the story is a giant trilogy across the 3 games.

This comment was edited on Mar 31, 2015, 15:42.

33. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Game Length Mar 31, 2015, 15:31 Creston

Xero wrote on Mar 31, 2015, 12:37:
but with less time available which I'm sure a lot of you here have no clue what that's about yet until you move out, marry, and have responsibilities (don't even have a kid yet!).

I think you'd be very surprised at the average age around here. Not a ton of Millenials in these parts.

Your time management becomes a major factor in gaming, lol.

I just never understand this particular complaint. Obviously you wouldn't be able to finish a game like W3 in one go, but other than your typical modern day FPS, that's true for just about every game. So what does it matter that you can only play a few hours each day/week with regards to the overall length of the game? A 200+ hour game can still be finished in 3 hour stretches, it just takes more of those stretches than a 12 hour game.

So unless you find it difficult to stay interested in a game for a period of 2+ months, I'm not sure why games being longer somehow is a negative.

More game=better. If you don't like the ancillary stuff and can't stay interested in it for such a long time, just play the main quest line. Even then, more main quest line = better.

This comment was edited on Mar 31, 2015, 15:42.

32. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Game Length Mar 31, 2015, 15:25 Creston

Dat dere's a lorra witchin' dere!

Hope I have the time to play it on release...

News Comments > BioWare Open Sources Something
2. Re: BioWare Open Sources Something Mar 31, 2015, 00:43 Creston

But does Orbit have romance-able companions?  

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Bug Warning
30. Re: Pillars of Eternity Bug Warning Mar 31, 2015, 00:39 Creston

It wouldn't seem that difficult to make it retro-active? Fire a script on savegame load after the patch is installed that examines all characters and checks to see which passives/buffs etc they should have versus which ones they actually have. If any are missing, restore them. Mark the save game as "fixed" so the script doesn't fire in the future.

I mean, obviously it's a decently complicated script and needs to be tested, but it's easily doable.

I'm waiting with playing again until they fix this bug, though. I would undoubtedly forget and dbl click at some point. Kind of a shame that this didn't show up in testing.

News Comments > DEAD OR ALIVE 5 Last Round PC Launch Missing Features
1. Re: DEAD OR ALIVE 5 Last Round PC Launch Missing Features Mar 30, 2015, 09:14 Creston

Watch those glorious PS3 graphics in 4K!

News Comments > Star Citizen at $77M
4. Re: Star Citizen at $77M Mar 30, 2015, 09:12 Creston

I like how they've now gone from selling ships to a non-complete game to selling "limited concepts" of ships to a non-complete game.

It won't be too much longer until they reach the vaunted EA level. (Where EA sold an expansion to an MMO, UO in that particular case, but when people came home and opened the box, all it contained was a note saying "Hey, the expansion isn't actually ready yet, but you'll get it When It's Done(tm)!" )

In any case, their ability to sell stuff is surely unparalleled in the known universe.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
12. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 29, 2015, 15:10 Creston

Cutter wrote on Mar 29, 2015, 14:43:
Od Nua is scary. I can only explore it a bit at a time before I have to go sit in the corner and cry like a little girl. Bigcry

Hahahaha.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
11. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 29, 2015, 15:09 Creston

Go Skylines and Eternity!  

25501 Comments. 1276 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo