Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 22119 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Fuck AAA development Mar 14, 2014, 15:11 Creston

COOKIES is the best game EVER MADE.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Satellite Reign Video
2. Re: Satellite Reign Video Mar 14, 2014, 14:55 Creston

This is looking sexy as HELL.

There was a reason I didn't back it, can't quite remember what. I think they didn't accept amazon payments or something? Anyway, I'm definitely in once it gets released, because it looks AWESOME. (Only small niggle: the cars are moving too fast.)

News Comments > Game Reviews
9. Re: Thief on The Escapist. NSFW. Mar 14, 2014, 11:50 Creston

harlock wrote on Mar 14, 2014, 04:47:
Fletch wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 20:28:
Outstanding. Hey, they were warned. They chose to ignore the fans. Now they have a pile of shit. Having a great license doesn't guarantee a great game, and it certainly doesn't make you great gamemakers, especially if the developers are bloody, wanking, buggering taffers. (How's that, harlock?)

also, they are tossers

I think he implied that when he called them "wanking." In the Queen's language, tossing and wanking are both euphemisms for the act of playing with one's willy.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Zuckerberg Mar 14, 2014, 11:47 Creston

Apples and Oranges there. People voluntarily sign up for Facebook, knowing that it uses your information to sell to advertisers. (and the people that sign up not knowing that need to learn to do some fucking research before randomly handing out their PII.)

Nobody voluntarily signed up to have their asshole searched by the NSA.

I don't really see the "glaring Irony" here.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
6. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 14, 2014, 11:44 Creston

jomisab wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 21:46:
Storage is nothing these days.

You do realize it's not just storage they're charging you for, right? They also have to make backups of that all that data, transport those backups, store those backups, etc.

If they give you twice the storage space in your Cloud, it's not just the 1 dollar they have to pay for the disk space. It also doubles the cost of their backup infrastructure.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 14, 2014, 11:41 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 21:18:
TWC can take a hike. Unlimited users are supposedly destroying the internet and costing ISPs billions of dollars, but when it comes time to bribe people into capping their internet usage, they offer a $5 discount. Puts the lie to their claims that high-usage users hurt the internet.

They don't. That entire fable is just horseshit. ISPs now pay roughly a tenth of a cent per GB of data they transmit, in other words, it costs them a dollar per TB. So a user needs to move 50TB of data for the ISP to break even on a $50/m plan.

I'm sure there are users who use more than that, so fine. Charge them two dollars per TB of data they go over.

But why do that when you can just do a 5GB cap, and then charge 10 bucks per fucking GB over? Nothing like a one million % markup, after all.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
45. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 14, 2014, 11:36 Creston

Cutter wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 23:50:
How have shipping costs gone up when fuel prices have gone down. And as an economy of scale these guys are doing more business then ever - so prices should come down to reflect that. Granted I'm not a logistics guy but you'd think that'd be the case.

Fuel prices have gone down? Maybe for a brief dip, but basically since the turn of the Millenium, they have gone through the roof. Not just fuel as in petrol/gas, but especially Diesel and Kerosene have gotten dramatically more expensive. And it's not as if the big trucks that move packages about get 40mpg either...

And yes, they do more business, but a place like Amazon ships so many packages that the money UPS/Fedex makes off them probably only contains the tiniest of profit margins, so the volume really doesn't add massive amounts of cash.

The transport sector has been in huge problems for the last 10+ years, and they've simply had to raise prices to be able to stay in business.

This has also led to the fact that everything in the supermarkets has gotten a lot more expensive. (And then, of course, the price of gas and Diesel went down briefly to pre-2000 levels again, none of the supermarkets lowered their prices, and now they're saying that because gas has gone up again, they need to raise their prices more. Really, you fuckers? Because gas is exactly the same it was the LAST time you raised your fucking prices.)

News Comments > PopCap Layoffs
20. Re: PopCap Layoffs Mar 14, 2014, 11:30 Creston

Verno wrote on Mar 14, 2014, 08:53:
PopCap printed money for a long time but somehow EA is managing to fuck with that formula too.

This surprises you? Incompetence knowns no bounds, Verno. There is literally nothing in the gaming industry that EA couldn't fuck up.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 14, 2014, 11:26 Creston

Mmmmmmm pie.  

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Mar 14, 2014, 11:26 Creston

That I live in Seattle thing is incredible. Guys posts on reddit to complain about weird shit with Valve game servers, 3 days later some random unknown dude says "How is it now?" and the OP's pings have gone down to 20 and his problems have vanished.

Random unknown dude turns out to work for OP's ISP and fixed the issue.

Holy shit, I wish I could get those guys as my ISP...

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 14, 2014, 11:22 Creston

Go Go Google Fiber, Go!  

News Comments > NVIDIA Ending Support for DX10-Generation Cards in 2016
5. Re: NVIDIA Ending Support for DX10-Generation Cards in 2016 Mar 14, 2014, 11:22 Creston

Aero wrote on Mar 14, 2014, 11:12:
I've not been happy with Nvidia drivers for the last several WHQL releases for my 580GTX. The display driver crashes at random every couple days when doing normal desktop things. Though it could be something new on my end, I suspect that the testing of drivers on hardware that's a few generations old has been relegated to the summer intern who won't be back until June.

Turn the power mode from adaptive to maximum.

41. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 13, 2014, 23:19 Creston

Gunz wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 23:09:
Is this a long overdue (inflation) price increase or a hike based on some behind-the-scenes wheeling and dealing with Comcast, AT&T, Verizon and friends?

Amazon's price hike, you mean?

It's because shipping costs have gone up quite dramatically in the last few years. They've tried to offset it as much as possible with the "Add-on" program (you can only order that stuff if you have something else in your order, so you can no longer have them ship you a small jar of hot sauce separately), by requiring minimum orders for small stuff, by using the Postal Service where they can, but they're still losing too much money on the shipping costs.

13. Re: PopCap Layoffs Mar 13, 2014, 23:16 Creston

Prez wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 20:39:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 20:06:
It was a sad day when Popcap was bought by EA. It took a while for the ax to fall, but fall it has.

Yep. I know they probably got a nice paydayfor being acquired by EA, but it marked the end of an exciting developer.

The payday was for the three Popcap owners. I don't think the devs ever saw a penny of that.

12. Re: PopCap Layoffs Mar 13, 2014, 23:15 Creston

- Buy developer that previously made MORE than enough money to keep everyone happily and gainfully employed.

- Fire staff after first game, no matter how succesful.

- (forthcoming): Rename studio to "EA Shitsville."

- (forthcoming): Wreck and destroy studio completely, then close it.

So far they're well on the path to being Yet Another EA Casualty. (YAEAC?)

26. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2014, 16:46 Creston

Your desired solution still sounds terribly convoluted. Here are the two easiest options:

1) Get a hybrid HD/SSD.

247) Install games on the HD. Assign it a drive letter in Windows. Turn off PC, yank out HD, install SSD, assign it the same driver letter as the HD had and make sure the data is synchronized. Steam/whatever knows the game is installed on E:, and since the data is still there, it'll work.

But really, just get a hybrid.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
8. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Mar 13, 2014, 14:52 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 14:46:
I hope he makes a full recovery. To quote Tyrion Lannister: "Where there's life, there's opportunity."

SPOILLLLEEERRRR!!!!!!! Only for those who have read beyond book 4!!! Then you get shot in the gut with a crossbow by your own dwarf son, and you die with shit dribbling out your ass.

39. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2014, 14:29 Creston

nin wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 11:56:
Speaking of Bobby, I'm still puzzled by his acting role in Moneyball. He came on and I'm like "Is that? Noooo...fuck, it is!"

Somebody must have owed him money.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2014, 14:20 Creston

HoSpanky wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 14:03:
Completely off subject, but I'm either an idiot, or just using the wrong words in google to find this...I'm trying to use an SSD for game caching, but not where software determines what to copy to the drive. I want to be able to select entire folders, and have those be cached, so I can put an entire open-world game on the drive, or any game that tends to stream its level data. Normal caching routines would take a LOT of playtime to get all of a game like that cached.
Really, it should be pretty simple. Data being READ would come off the SSD, anything being written goes to the HDD and then copied by the software back to the SSD for later reading. Does this software exist?

I don't know, seems pretty tricky, but I may have a better solution: Just install the game on the SSD. I mean, why on earth do you want it to be written to an HD first and THEN copied to an SSD? What kind of benefit does that bring, exactly?

20. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2014, 14:17 Creston

BobBob wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 12:50:
Creston wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 11:38:
Also, all you guys just need to move to California!

/BobBob.

Well said, sir. It will be 72 F today. This weekend we are looking at the upper 70s and low 80s. A great time for some beach cliff hiking.

I think I may have mentioned before that you can be a truly unpleasant fellow.

22119 Comments. 1106 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo