Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 22086 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Respawn Chasing Titanfall Cheaters
21. Re: Respawn Chasing Titanfall Cheaters Mar 13, 2014, 11:27 Creston

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 11:15:
Creston wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 11:10:
I'm glad that keeping the servers in the hands of the devs/publishers does such wonderful things to help against cheating.
Not that much better on user maintained servers either.

I didn't say it was, but the "We can stop cheating!" is often the #1 reason given by shitty publishers for not including dedicated server software.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 13, 2014, 11:23 Creston

nin wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 09:06:
Xbox Achievement hunter finally hits a million Gamerscore.

Was his reward a case of Mt Dew?

Microsoft banned him for unlocking his game a day early.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
16. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 13, 2014, 11:22 Creston

Panickd wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 09:27:
As for them stopping using UPS, FedEx is just as shit. If you want any sort of guaranteed delivery of an unmolested package from either of them you need to pay through the nose for it. The "next day by 10am" packages are literally handled by hand from person to person. Every thing else is shuttled down conveyors and sometimes drop kicked into trucks, especially around XMas time.

The next day by 10am package goes across the same conveyors, flies on the same aircraft and gets put in the same trucks by the exact same people as all the other packages. The only difference is that the courier knows that that package (and the few others with that shipping label) need to be delivered first, no matter how far out of his normal route it is.

If you had any idea about the volume of shipments FedEx and UPS (and in Europe: DHL) handle, you'd realize that handing packages over "hand to hand" is simply impossible. (Unless you want to pay for the old "briefcase chained to the wrist" kinda service.) It HAS to go on conveyors and through automatic sorting systems in order for them to be able to handle the insane amount of packages they deal with.

I worked for DHL in Holland and got to visit their main European sorting center in Belgium one evening. You basically can't comprehend how many shipments they deal with. It's hundreds of thousands of shipments PER HOUR during the night. They had 140 cargo planes flying out of their own airfield during that night.

There is just no way of doing that by hand. So yeah, that does lead to scuffed packages etc. Which is why they always say to wrap your package well, and basically not to ship anything that's fragile.

15. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 13, 2014, 11:15 Creston

nin wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 09:08:
Canceled mine, but I have it until July. We'll see if it elicits the same sort of response the last netflix price hike got.

As someone elsewhere posted, I'd rather just drop amazon streaming video from the package, to offset the price. Also, if they're going to charge for two day shipping, they need to stop using UPS smartpost, as those dumbfucks can't deliver shit.

You already canceled, but always complain if stuff doesn't get delivered on time. You often get a 10 buck credit or something.

14. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 13, 2014, 11:14 Creston

Glad they didn't go to 120. 100 bucks is still easily worth it for me.  

News Comments > Respawn Chasing Titanfall Cheaters
15. Re: Respawn Chasing Titanfall Cheaters Mar 13, 2014, 11:10 Creston

I'm glad that keeping the servers in the hands of the devs/publishers does such wonderful things to help against cheating.  

News Comments > Grey Goo Announced
1. Re: Grey Goo Announced Mar 13, 2014, 11:09 Creston

A game on Steam that's NOT Early Access? Wow. I didn't think those existed anymore.

Anyway, pointless CGI trailer is pointless, but we'll see.

News Comments > BAFTA Winners
9. Re: BAFTA Winners Mar 12, 2014, 20:48 Creston

I always keep forgetting that Rockstar is in the UK.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
23. Photoshop gone too far Mar 12, 2014, 17:24 Creston

OMG IT'S PIZZA THE HUTT!  

News Comments > Titanfall PC Connection Issues Fixed
7. Re: Titanfall PC Connection Issues Fixed Mar 12, 2014, 15:41 Creston

At least they fixed it quickly, but this is just the international customers, right? When does the US version go live again?  

News Comments > WildStar in June
10. Re: WildStar in June Mar 12, 2014, 15:32 Creston

It seems to be a hardcore Raider's dream.

A lot of the stuff they mentioned is present in Guild Wars 2, and the latest battles they've been introducing there have been pretty fun. Aggravating at times, and apt to failure because many people seem to stubbornly insist on still not knowing how to fight something three fucking weeks into its existence, but fun nonetheless.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 12, 2014, 15:15 Creston

Wouldn't a translation layer, of necessity, be slower than the original shader? And if so, wouldn't that mean that all those games that'd use it would then run slower on SteamOS than they do on Windows?

I admittedly know very little about graphics...

News Comments > Watch Dogs Minimum PC Specs
19. Re: Watch Dogs Minimum PC Specs Mar 12, 2014, 15:06 Creston

wtf_man wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 14:40:
A 32-Bit Windows OS only addresses 3 to 3.5GB depending on how much it has to reserve for system drivers.

No, actually a 32 bit OS CAN simply address 4GB of memory address space. What everyone always seems to forget is that your graphics memory (yes, even that on a dedicated GPU) has to be addressed by that same controller.

So it's nothing to do with system drivers. It just has to do with how much memory you have on your GPU. You can even easily test it. Just swap out the 512MB card with a 2GB one, and watch how your available system memory plummets.

But in any case, no matter how many processes or threads or CLOUD MAJICS! it uses, a 32 Bit OS can never address things beyond 4 GB of memory. Ergo, (Latin!), the minimum of 6 means it's going to require a 64 bit OS (even if the executable might still just be 32 bit.)

News Comments > Evening Interviews
12. Re: Evening Interviews Mar 12, 2014, 12:57 Creston

Speak of Godus and Peter Molyneux and you step on his tail.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
10. Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 12, 2014, 12:50 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 03:04:
@ Cres,
The only company shaking up product and pricing in the mobile market is T-Mobile. Sprint has had plenty of chances to do so, and has not. Forgive me if I don't believe them when they say "Let us eliminate our competition and we'll start a price war!! Honest!" And I say that as someone who used Sprint Mobile for a decade until switching over to T-Mobile a couple of months ago. Sprint wasn't bad, they just did what Verizon and AT&T did. And if they get rid of T-Mobile, they'll continue to do that.

That's fine. Like I said, we have no guarantee he'll actually do that. But right now both sprint and T-Mobile are so small that any attempt to start a price war just gets ignored by AT&T and Verizon, and in essence all the small guy is doing is killing his own profits.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
9. Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 12, 2014, 12:48 Creston

Beamer wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 23:30:
Wasn't remotely a marketing ploy. People need to shut up about that. It makes you sound like you didn't think it through before typing it our.

How about I say what the fuck I want to say, and you stop pretending like you know everything about everything, and your experience dictates how the world runs, Mmmmkay princess?

News Comments > Watch Dogs Minimum PC Specs
7. Re: Watch Dogs Minimum PC Specs Mar 12, 2014, 12:41 Creston

Bundy wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 09:47:
Looking for, but don't see "Win7/8 64 bit". Damn.

Isn't that kind of implied with the minimum being 6GB of RAM?

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Delayed to February 2015
26. Re: The Witcher 3 Delayed to February 2015 Mar 12, 2014, 12:32 Creston

harlock wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 23:54:
AA is ok, but i prefer a consistent >60fps at all times, with no dips.. and im willing to sacrifice some image quality for that -especially giving up AA in particular because i like to turn other fx settings like physics and particles and so forth to maximum, and AA seems to take up the most horsepower of anything

The top tier cards and the one generation behind them are so powerful that you can basically do 2xFSAA for free. It only costs me a few frames.

SSAO, however, is a monstrous performance dip still. I typically lose 15-20fps at 1080p.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
11. Re: Evening Interviews Mar 12, 2014, 11:53 Creston

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 09:00:
Creston wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 23:26:
What ever happened to Godus? I haven't heard anything about that in yonks.

It's still being worked on but it's a game you pay for that full of really gross mobile-style microtransaction and cow clicker hooks. Even without those, it just appears to be a boring god game as well. Molyneux basically took everything that was gross about Curiosity, then applied it to a full price game.

I am SO fucking glad I didn't back that...

EDIT: Wow, 96% bad user reviews on Steam I just noticed.

For Godus? Holy shit...

News Comments > On Sale
13. Re: On Sale Mar 12, 2014, 11:51 Creston

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 11:31:
SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 19:25:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 19:24:
Yes! TOW TRUCK SIMULATOR!!! At least he's driving on the right side of the road!
I was going to say he isn't even driving on the right side of the road ffs! What kind of a simulator is this?!

GOTTA HAVE TOW TRUCK SIMULATOR!

One of the most fun portions of GTA5 was the tow truck stuff!

o_O

Cry

22086 Comments. 1105 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo