Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 23766 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Next Total War Reveal This Month
22. Re: Next Total War Reveal This Month Sep 10, 2014, 10:29 Creston

These guys really are just a one-trick pony. It's a good trick, but it's getting pretty stale by now, fellas.

Btw, the next Total War will have "EIGHTY-SEVEN FULL-TIME DEVELOPERS TOTALLY DEVOTED TO JUST THE AI ALONE! TRUST US!"

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B?
29. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 10:26 Creston

Wolfox wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 10:22:
Microsoft did their homework this time.

https://twitter.com/notch/status/281139739304800256

For those who won't click the link - it's a Dec 18 2012 tweet by Notch saying "Anyway, my price is two billion dollars. Give me two billion dollars, and I'll endorse your crap."

Hahahaa that's priceless.

Notch: I raise to 2 billion!
Microsoft: Call.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2014, 10:21 Creston

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 10:06:
The NFL is a joke of course, they clearly should have fired Ray Rice immediately. The real question should be, how did Ray Rice NOT go to prison in the first place? Nice work, police.

Why are people surprised Goodell didn't do more initially... the NFL has a history of suspending murderers and rapists for only like 5-6 games. Of course they gave Rice a 2 game suspension, he merely knocked a woman unconscious. *rolls eyes so hard he injures his neck*

Roethlisberger got suspended for six games for, essentially, having consentual sex in a public bathroom.

Mike Vick murders dogs and runs an illegal gambling ring, and got two games.

The Ginger Hammer is a flunky of the owners. He is there to protect the owners. When an owner says "No", all Gooddell can do is be the useless fucking bobblehead that he is. But even if the owners give their blessings, none of his rulings make any fucking sense. It's like he's brain damaged or something.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 10, 2014, 10:18 Creston

No shit. Hopefully baseball is next. Fuck you, Bud fucking Selig.

24. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 10:15 Creston

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 10:09:
Creston wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 10:04:
It's good to see Nutella being just as stupid with their money as Ballmer was.
I assume you are referring to the purchase of the Clippers. Ballmer spent, as a percentage of net worth, less on the Clippers than I did on my house. He wanted it, he had the money, he bought it. Probably how you make most of your purchasing decisions.

What do the Clippers have to do with anything? I'm talking about MS, under Ballmer, buying dozens of companies that Microsoft had absolutely NO USE for, and later often closed or just dissolved into generic nothingness.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 10, 2014, 10:14 Creston

Damn, it's got to be nice to have a job so awesome that you can just sleep in your car and save all that rent/mortgage money.  

News Comments > Transverse Could Have Been Wing Commander Online; Gamers Skeptical
1. Re: Transverse Could Have Been Wing Commander Online; Gamers Skeptical Sep 10, 2014, 10:10 Creston

We were worried it was going to be Wing Commander: Online Ė EA offered them the license at one point."

EA: Continually Raping Your Beloved Franchises Since 1995!

20. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 10:04 Creston

Verno wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 10:00:
He can already retire many times over, Minecraft has made him a multi-millionaire though I'm sure becoming a billionaire is also pretty damned appealing. It's not really a question if its personally attractive to him because that kind of goes without saying. I'm more curious about why Microsoft would want to do this and whats going to happen to it afterward (nothing good).

When has MS ever bought something because it made sense? So far they've acquired 165 companies and less than a handful of these have been even remotely considered smart.

It's good to see Nutella being just as stupid with their money as Ballmer was.

17. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 10:00 Creston

For 2 billion dollars I'd sell out to pretty much everybody. I'd become Oprah's personal gimp if she offered me 2 billion.

Of course, as soon as MS buys Mojang, Mojang will go completely into the crapper, as has happened with pretty much every other software house MS has bought, so I imagine Notch would immediately bail and just start up something else.

Hot damn, from nobody to billionaire in, what... five years? Less?

News Comments > Op Ed
32. Re: Op Ed Sep 9, 2014, 14:04 Creston

UHD wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 10:42:
No, it means "Watergate" was an actual scandal that had significant real-world consequences, whereas "Gamergate" is inconsequential and only has importance if you get mad when someone you don't know says something vague but negative about your preferred subculture.

Inconsequential??? Come on, it has at least double the impact of Cameragate!!

2. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 8, 2014, 10:18 Creston

I think I went 6-8 so far this week, and have no faith in tonight's picks, so I'm right there with ya, Blue!

This comment was edited on Sep 8, 2014, 10:26.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - PC Dead Rising 3
9. Re: Ships Ahoy - PC Dead Rising 3 Sep 6, 2014, 12:02 Creston

It looks pretty fun, and I would actually really like to play it, but I refuse to buy what many people are calling a (piss)poor port.

Maybe when it's $5. Next time put at least five cents of effort into it, Capcom.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2014, 17:15 Creston

1badmf wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 16:35:
Creston wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 15:58:
Please refer to Marshawn Lynch by his actual name, that being BEEF MOE.

Skittles is also allowed.

hahahahaha does he really talk like that? i've never seen an interview with him.

also, around 20 people picked the packers in the pickem league XD. although i have to confess i almost did myself just on the basis of likelihood of upset.

Nah, Marshawn is actually a pretty well-spoken guy. Not like Oxford well-spoken, but compared to some of the guys in the NFL he's practically Nolan North.

KSK just loves to make caricatures out of players that are funny. BEEF MOE is good, but their treatment of Pacman Jones during his playing days was beyond awesome.

As for the GB pick, it seemed a little far-fetched to me too, but you have to try to pick some upsets if you want to finish well.

News Comments > Op Ed
33. Re: Op Ed Sep 5, 2014, 17:10 Creston

Yosemite Sam wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 16:58:
The death throes of an industry that shilled themselves into irrelevance.

How marvelously succinct.

You, sir, are a modern Ernest Hemingway.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2014, 15:58 Creston

Please refer to Marshawn Lynch by his actual name, that being BEEF MOE.

Skittles is also allowed.

News Comments > Op Ed
29. Re: Op Ed Sep 5, 2014, 15:23 Creston

Beamer wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 14:34:
Creston, you're really putting words in their mouth with "every single gamer." They're all trying to clearly distinguish between people that play games (nearly everyone) and people that lash out and feel any criticism of games is a betrayal.

No, most of them really aren't. Maybe this guy is, but most of these whiny "WAAAAAH WHY DON'T YOU LOVE US, WE JUST SELL YOU BULLSHIT?!" clowns are pretty much in the "ALL OF YOU SUCK" camp. As I had already demonstrated in the Leigh Alexander piece, and quite frankly I have no desire to do so again.

That lengthy piece goes on to explain how the media created the "gamer," anyway, that in the 80s, with the media in death throes, it turned around and started appealing to a very specific demographic - the nerdy teenage male, and in it created a whole bunch of marketing to them that segmented off the "gamer" from the "regular human being who most likely also likes games,"

Who didn't exist in the 80s. The "gamer" was the entire audience. There were no bros who loved to play CoD, or parents who came home and did a quick jaunt in ETS2 to relax. Nerdy teenage males were basically the entire demographic.

So, yeah, nice argument, but too bad it doesn't hold water.

and now that the industry is trying to combine those two there seem to be issues.

If by "trying to combine those two" you mean "trying to shove everyone on the same heap", then yes. If they would simply say "There's a segment of people on the internet that consists of worthless cockroaches, and the rest of you are just people who love to play games", then yay. And again, they're creating this straw man of fucking humongous proportions by going "Well, all gamers, aka the 80s nerdy teenage male now feels threatened that games isn't just about them anymore, so they all lash out against anything that they feel threatens their 'realm'" or whatever.

Which is quite funny, because
A) those gamers are still a pretty goddamn significant portion of your ENTIRE FUCKING AUDIENCE, as per the Ars Technica article from a few days ago that showed that current teenage 13-24 year old males are just 18% or so of the entire gaming population

b) The large majority of the foul-mouthed gnomes on the internet comes from the CURRENT teenage demographic

c) the small portion of people that adhere to their straw man concept of "threatened gamer male" does not in any way, shape or form speak for the rest of the 80s teenage male nerd, of which we have many, many here.

And yes, you're right, it isn't journalism. But, frankly, where is the room for "journalism" in games? It's covering a consumer product!

Then stop fucking calling it that. Let all these fucking sites stop with their horseshit "we're here to deliver you honest and unbiased news" or whatever other waffling crap that Kotaku dipshit was spewing on a daily basis, and just admit that you're all JUST FREELANCER ADVERTISERS.

(not aimed at you personally, obviously, since I doubt you write about games for a living.)

What do you want them to right about? I highlighted that passage because it's all true - game "journalists" can only know what PR lets them see. Same with movies. Same with music. But those areas have personalities people want to read about. Games don't. So the only source of information is the companies themselves.
I don't exactly see what people want. What kind of articles would you like to see? What kind of journalism can realistically happen. Or unrealistically. What articles would you like to see written, assuming the journalist is omniscient and doesn't need to go through a PR team to get access to the product?

Personally I don't really even give a shit anymore, I'd just be happy for all those untalented, unschooled hacks to get off their high fucking horse and stop pretending they're on some kind of similar level with freaking Walter Cronkite or something.

And yes, they need to go through the companies to get there, but then they could at least, I dunno, not just verbatim copy-paste what's being shoveled into them? Ask some ACTUAL questions? Maybe something like this? (which, even though PA did a comic about it, never actually HAPPENED, as far as I can tell.)

Be honest in your previews. If a game seems to be a piece of shit, write that it seems to be a piece of shit. And sure, that may mean that you don't get the "awesome cocktails" next time. Oh noes.

The idea that publishers would just completely lock out an actual HONEST games "journalist" is horseshit, because that kind of negative PR would come back to bite them in the ass a million times over. Eventually the large majority of readers (who genuinely DO want honest articles rather than fucking publisher spoo) would flock to websites with ACTUAL standards that tell it like it is.

But nope. Let's all keep sucking EA's taint and calling ourselves journalists, even though we took exactly 0 minutes of classes towards the four year program required to be called one. (really a pet peeve of mine, obviously.)

This comment was edited on Sep 5, 2014, 15:32.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2014, 13:54 Creston

Hanover wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 13:14:
Done! I just grabbed a TrackIR 5 since I can't get enough of Elite. I was looking as some of my other titles like Asseto Corsa and Grid and they all seem to support TrackIR. Can't wait!

Anyone using TrackIR now?

I believe Spectral has one.

News Comments > Op Ed
17. Re: Op Ed Sep 5, 2014, 13:42 Creston

How do I explain what has been happening in videogames journalism blogging this past fifteen years to a readership that doesnít follow along videogame news on a daily basis without confirming all the worst stereotypes of videogame journalists bloggers?

Two can play the bullshit game. Apparently most videogame bloggers have decided that every.single.gamer is a worthless piece of shit who is only out to bash women.

It'd be fun if all gamers did die out, as they're all so fervently hoping for, because then these untalented hacks would have to get a job that doesn't consist of being publisher mouthpieces and copy-pasting press releases.

Again, morons, the gamers ARE YOUR FUCKING CUSTOMERS. Without them, you'd have to suck dick on the streets to buy a sammich.

Is this corruption? Maybe. But itís also simply the way consumer entertainment journalism works (for better or worse).

IT'S NOT FUCKING JOURNALISM!!!! YOU STUPID FUCKING DILDO!! It's nothing more than really convoluted advertising. Which makes you, journalist blogger, nothing more than a convoluted marketing peon.

If you want to be considered a journalist, don't accept the drinks from Ubisoft, don't get put up by them in a fucking swanky hotel, and ask to play the game without the ubisoft marketoid there to fucking handhold you every second. And then afterwards, ask questions about why feature A and B felt like ass, and why Connor felt like the world's largest and most boring shitbag.

As long as none of you imbeciles do this, none of you are deserving of the title journalist, and none of the pretentious webrags you work for are deserving of even a bit's worth of bandwith.

This comment was edited on Sep 5, 2014, 13:57.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 5, 2014, 12:50 Creston

I give five dismissive strokes on my phallus to the name phablet.

News Comments > Planetary Annihilation in Stores
18. Re: Planetary Annihilation in Stores Sep 5, 2014, 12:24 Creston

Xil wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 11:56:
Creston wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 11:20:
Another BIG Kickstarter title delivered. Awesome.

Too bad it has no SP.

checked it out last week really quickly, it seems to have a SP campaign but tbh no idea how big it really is or if it even has a story

Oh, it does? They had never planned on one. Does anyone have any more info about it?

Thanks Xil!

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 12:02:
Ps.: It has SP in a sense, Skirmish is in and works fine. There is also Galactic war, which is a sort of "travel around stars, find tech, find enemy, fight enemies, win" campaign. No story, but if you want to play SP keep in mind this is literally a draw of luck. You either find the tech you need to win, or you literally do not have a single chance in hell since you can not retreat from a fight (ie, you move on a star on the star-map, and it only gives you the option to fight)

Oh...

Thanks Eraser.

23766 Comments. 1189 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo