Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 23746 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen DFM Patch Imminent
32. Re: Star Citizen DFM Patch Imminent Sep 11, 2014, 15:55 Creston

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 11, 2014, 15:22:

Even comes with a Kilrathi Co-Pilot

I want my very own Hobbes.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen DFM Patch Imminent
26. Re: Star Citizen DFM Patch Imminent Sep 11, 2014, 14:53 Creston

Yeah, seeing that F as an R and doing a rapid double take was quite a shock to the system...  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 11, 2014, 13:44 Creston

nin wrote on Sep 11, 2014, 09:44:

QFT!

News Comments > Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B?
147. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 18:35 Creston

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 18:17:
Market value is different from capital value. But considering the other pies that they've got their fingers in? They could easily have ~200B in cash value assets as it sits right now. Usually when a company is selling, the market value is halved or cut down to 1/3 of the actual value.

Valve? How on earth do you think Valve has 200 billion dollars in assets? Again, their biggest money producer (probably their only money producer, unless you count TF2 hats) made 1.5 billion dollars in revenue last year. Even if you said that Steam has made 1.5 billion dollars every year AND that Steam ran at 100% profit, it would have to have been in existence for 130+ years.

I'm not being a smartass (or not trying to be ), but I just can't understand why you think Valve has so much money?

39. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2014, 17:37 Creston

Yeah my produce in Tulsa is pretty cheap, but not THAT cheap.

But even so, I'd rather spend more and make my own stuff and know what's in it and that it's mostly healthy vs buying a jar or box of whatever and seeing that there's 4000 mg of Sodium in it...

134. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2014, 17:32 Creston

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 17:25:
Wish I could find the statement, but it was more along the lines of he could buy either EA or MS with the current capital that valve has. Where as MS or EA would require asset offloading plus stock trades to make it happen, and as many people know--cash is still king. So are physical assets with purchases.

What? As of May 2014 (first link I could find, I'm lazy), Microsoft's market value was $343.82 billion. Do you seriously think Valve has 350 BILLION dollars in cash lying around? Steam made 1.5 billion dollars in revenue last year. I know it makes them insane amounts of money, but we're still talking massive levels of difference here.

MS probably has enough cash to buy Valve, IF Gabe was interested in selling, but he's never given any kind of indication that he was, nor that he'd be amenable to MS taking over and, undoubtedly, completely fucking ruining Steam.

132. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 17:25 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 15:17:
Well, this thread exploded in a hurry. Why would a simple business acquisition inspire such discussion?

Slow day at work...

81. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 14:43 Creston

Prez wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 14:39:
Is there anyone in the world besides maybe the Pope and the Dhali Lama who would say no to 2 billion dollars?

The Pope, seriously? He'd sell out for fifteen bucks.

32. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2014, 14:40 Creston

I didn't realize the Ravens had actually cut Rice, and that the NFL FINALLY indefinitely suspended him.

So apparently, dragging an unconscious body out of an elevator when the only possible explanation is that you knocked her out: 2 games suspension.

Being caught knocking the woman out on tape so the NFL can't deny it any longer: Lose your job, suspended indefinitely.

Fuck Roger Goodell and every piece of shit owner in the NFL.

68. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 13:49 Creston

My bad, I thought Fortnite was a PC/PS4 game.

64. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 13:07 Creston

TheEmissary wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 13:05:
Sony kind of does have a Minecraft clone in development with EQ Next Landmark. I am pretty sure Next or Landmark will ever rise above niche status for most people and certainly no where near Minecraft levels.

Isn't Fortnite coming to PS4?

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 10, 2014, 12:54 Creston

Cutter wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 10:57:
Creston wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 10:14:
Damn, it's got to be nice to have a job so awesome that you can just sleep in your car and save all that rent/mortgage money.

If I was going to do that I'd rather be a cowboy riding the range and camping out under the stars.

That's awesome right up until the first night it rains, or you wake up with some kind of fucking scorpion crawling in your bunghole.

News Comments > Endless Legend Next Week
2. Re: Endless Legend Next Week Sep 10, 2014, 12:53 Creston

One of you guys here has told me a lot about Endless Space, and I've been on the fence about getting it. Any news on this new version?

I need something to tide me over until November 18th when every game ever made is apparently being (re)released.

62. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 12:48 Creston

jacobvandy wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 12:18:
You put a huge PR department behind promotion and licensing and some legit R&D behind coming up with new products and game concepts...

None of which MS has when it comes to games.

But I can't wait for the next indecipherable MS advertisement where Nutella and Dara O'Briain are buying fishing rods and bait for 90 seconds, and that somehow is going to sell more copies of MC.

61. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 12:46 Creston

PHJF wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 12:21:
It's not that easy to sell a slightly better toolset all over again, since a ton of people will just stay on the old version, especially on the PC where all the mods have already made Minecraft a hundred times better than anything MS can cook up.

Obviously you've never heard of The Sims.

Sims has nothing near the mods that Minecraft does. The new versions of the Sims have also nowhere near made 2 billion dollars, so even if Minecraft turns into the next Sims, it's not going to make MS a dime. There are tons of people still playing Sims and Sims 2.

As for the DLC for the Sims, which is mostly just content, I guess MS might just DLC Minecraft to death in an effort to make more money, but again, half of its existing fanbase is on the PC with an absolute crapload of mods, so how many of them are going to buy half-assed DLC? Especially if it's the kind of DLC that so far, Mojang has been giving them for free?

I just don't see it, but who knows, maybe this will be the first MS acquisition that makes money since they bought Visio.

General Discussion > Amazon Orders
15. Re: Amazon Orders Sep 10, 2014, 12:43 Creston

Blue wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 12:29:
Prez wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 10:32:
Well I bought about $50 of mp3's through the link provided. Hopefully it shows up.

A bunch of MP3s did show up, thanks!

Every attempt to verify this process indicates it's working well, and I thank you all for your support. We got our approval from Amazon.de, Amazon.co.uk, and Amazon.ca, so I have added a widget with links to all of them close to the top of the front page. This seems a little cluttery, which I will work on, but it's all functioning now.

Glad it's working so well, Blue.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2014, 12:03 Creston

Ratty wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 11:50:
PHJF wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 11:34:
Cooking from scratch can actually get stupid expensive. I've made relatively simple dishes that easily end up with a food cost rivaling the price of a meal at a restaurant. I use a simple salsa recipe (roma tomato, green onion, garlic, salt, lime juice, cilantro, hot sauce) that costs significantly more than simply buying a jar of Pace.
Amen. There's a lot of things I just don't cook anymore. I have a kickass recipe for the perfect chewy chocolate brownies. But Ghiradelli's brownie mix in the store can usually be had at $1.99 a box or less on sale and they're just as good to me and about one fifth as expensive. If store-bought is cheaper and tastes almost as good that's what I get. I save my cooking for things that really do taste much better homemade.

The argument isn't about taste, it's about whether it's healthy. Your home made brownies are probably a lot less unhealthy than the box of Girardelli. Same for homemade salsa vs a jar of Pace.

54. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 11:57 Creston

Dagnamit wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 11:47:
You think Nintendo has made 2 billion off of Mario? Microsoft is betting that Minecraft is this generation's Mario. I think they're right. The last last I've seen so many children wearing video game branded clothes and talking about video games so openly was circa 1989. Make no mistake, Minecraft is a force of nature at this point and EASILY worth 2 billion. No question.

Revenue wise, Nintendo has probably broken the 2 billion mark on Mario, yes. In order to recoup their initial investment, Microsoft wouldn't need 2 billion in revenue off future Minecraft products, they'd need 2 billion in PROFIT, just to break even. From an IP that has already sold 54 million copies for which they got zero dollars and zero cents. (ignoring all the merch, which makes a lot of money for companies other than Mojang.)

So you're saying that you think Minecraft, as an IP, is worth an additional 2 billion in profit? You're entitled to your opinion, but I think it's stupendously optimistic.

Also, it's easy to sell another Mario. You just build new levels and new content, and all Mario fans will buy it. Minecraft is a toolset that allows people to produce their own content. It's not that easy to sell a slightly better toolset all over again, since a ton of people will just stay on the old version, especially on the PC where all the mods have already made Minecraft a hundred times better than anything MS can cook up.

In the end, 2 billion is chump change for MS, and it's not like this will be an aQuantive type deal where they literally just threw away money. But it'll be pretty similar to their Rage deal, where it got them very, very little in return on their initial investment.

41. Re: Microsoft to Acquire Mojang for $2B? Sep 10, 2014, 11:15 Creston

Omni wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 11:13:
Cutter wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 10:49:
2B for what? 1 game? And the stupidity at MS continues unabated.

Minecraft is a endless money pit its just not 1 game its history and much more. If MS buys Mojang they essential can make the next Minecarft a exclusive xbox game if that's even a thing in the future.

And everyone who doesn't have an Xbox will just keep on playing their current version of Minecraft, and not give a shit about the exclusivity.

There is no way to make back 2 billion dollars out of a game studio. None. You couldn't even make that back if you bought Rockstar.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2014, 11:03 Creston

Blue wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 10:34:
Creston wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 10:21:
Mike Vick murders dogs and runs an illegal gambling ring, and got two games.

I don't know anyone than a greater distaste for Michael Vick than me, but just for the sake of factuality, he was suspended "indefinitely" in August 2007 and was not reinstated until week three of the 2009 season, so his suspension actually lasted 34 games, though for a good portion of that time he was in prison.

It was just a semantics suspension, though. Had he never gone to jail, do you really think he'd have been suspended for 34 games? It's easy to suspend someone when they can't actually play anyway.

23746 Comments. 1188 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo