Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 25734 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Free StarCraft II: Whispers of Oblivion Announced
2. Re: Free StarCraft II: Whispers of Oblivion Announced Jun 17, 2015, 09:20 Creston

Just picked up heart of the swarm for 10 bucks, so sweet.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Cardinals hacking Astros Jun 17, 2015, 00:02 Creston

What the shit, Kenny Loggins Cardinals?!

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Next Year
11. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Next Year Jun 16, 2015, 23:53 Creston

I'm honestly happy it's not coming out this year, because there are too many cool games already scheduled for 2015.

Still, this and the next Mass Effect are at a shared #1 on my list.

News Comments > Just Cause 3 in December
18. Re: Just Cause 3 in December Jun 16, 2015, 23:51 Creston

Grappling hooks ahoy! WOOT!

News Comments > AMD HBM-based 300 Series Announced
16. Re: AMD HBM-based 300 Series Announced Jun 16, 2015, 17:58 Creston

$649 for the high end seems okay (same as 980ti?), but the other two seem pricey?  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 16, 2015, 16:10 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 15:32:
1. The government needs to run a massive ongoing campaign promoting healthier living of at least $1B annually. Right now the gov't spends $10M to the food industry's $10B (yes, 1000x more). And the food industry isn't advertising broccoli.

You can't advertise / convince people into doing something they don't want, not on the scale required. It's much easier to advertise people into wanting a cheeseburger than it is to advertise people into NOT eating a cheeseburger and reaching for an apple instead. Because we're already programmed, so to speak, by our tastes and wants/desires, to want that cheeseburger.

2. Non-nutritional caloric products like chips, soda, and candy need sin taxes and advertising restrictions, just like alcohol and tobacco. They're just as dangerous, both in terms of health effects and dependency.

That's never going to happen. Because the second you tax chips for being bad, the chips manufacturers sue and will go "what about licorice?" and then the licorice manufacturers will sue and go "what about product xxxx?" etc etc ad infinitum until everything just has extra tax on it.

Which would make the government happy, now that I think about it, so this will likely happen in the next year.

3. Healthier foods like fruits and vegetables need to be subsidized with these funds, especially for the poor, for whom a package of Oreos costs 10x less than fresh fruit on a per calorie basis. The poor have the greatest incidence of preventable disease.

No. We need to STOP with all this subsidizing crap. Subsidies are what's killing the entire Western United States. What we should do, however, is eliminate sales tax on stuff like vegetables and fruit etc. And to help the poor, eliminate sales tax on ALL food for them.

4. End the stupid subsidies on sugar and corn.

End all subsidies, period, but yes. Of course, the fucking Farm Bill will never allow this to happen. :\

Yes, personal responsibility is important. Let's make it easier for people by not bombarding them with Coke ads, and making that Snickers bar much less financially attractive than an apple.

I honestly don't think that works. But I do agree that we need to educate people (and kids, especially) about the ruinous effects that a bad diet has on you. Of course, Michelle Obama actually has done good work in this area, but with very unintended consequences. For example, my wife's school now provides excellent, healthy meals to kids and teachers alike. But because they were not given extra money with which to buy all this healthy food (which as you pointed out is a lot more expensive that unhealthy shit), the meal portions have gotten a LOT smaller, so most of the kids eat their healthy lunch meal and are still hungry. So they go to the vending machine and load up on crap just to not be hungry.

In the end, it really boils down to people having to take responsibility for becoming healthier. I think the best way to do this is to just start charging obesity tax on health insurance, same as we do with smokers.

Even so, we're talking about an attitude change that will take 2 to 3 generations to fully take root.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 16, 2015, 15:17 Creston

sauron wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 13:37:

Same here - I'm 5'11" and 135lb.

Holy shit, dude, eat a cheeseburger Hobbit or something!

News Comments > Shenmue 3 Kickstarter Instantly Funded
29. Re: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter Instantly Funded Jun 16, 2015, 14:08 Creston

I find it dodgy that Sony announced this. Next up, publishers will want you to pre-fund every fucking thing in existence.

Other than that, cool for whatshisname that his Kickstarter is doing so well, and shame on those of you who don't know Shenmue.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
1. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 16, 2015, 13:41 Creston

I don't mind that it's a new story, no Shepard, no old characters etc, but a new galaxy would probably mean no Krogan, no Turians, no Asari etc, and that would suck. :\

News Comments > HITMAN Announced
8. Re: HITMAN Announced Jun 16, 2015, 13:37 Creston

"For $60 you’ll get full access to all of this content – although of course some teenager who is online 24/7 will get to experience it, and then when you log in, you just get to see the 15000 targets all killed by other people with more spare time than you do.

"So, really, for $60, YOU just get to do jack fucking shit."

Sounds great, guys.

News Comments > XCOM 2 Gameplay Footage
13. Re: XCOM 2 Gameplay Footage Jun 16, 2015, 13:29 Creston

Okay, so did that one trooper just move behind the fallen soldier, pick her up, call in a Skyranger, then run roughly 700 feet with a soldier on his back, all in a single turn?

That seemed... rather impossible.

News Comments > XCOM 2 Gameplay Footage
10. Re: XCOM 2 Gameplay Footage Jun 16, 2015, 12:36 Creston

PHJF wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 12:15:
Really, REALLY want to see a change to Engagement. The absolute worst part of EU was spending time to cleverly and quietly move a squad forward only to have spotted enemies get free movement to cover before combat. Let me get fucking sneak attacks and/or stealth kills.

There is a mod that lets you disable that, and to be honest, it makes the game just truly absurdly easy. Two snipers hanging back with squad sight = a LOT of dead aliens before they can even take a move.

If they allow for that, then they need to put in an "enemy converges" mode where after you take a few of them out, the rest all just bumrush you. (Which could be cool, as you could set up a defense). And then have silenced weapons to keep from being converged on.

In any case, I see why they do it. It sucks, but it's either "See them and they scramble for cover", or all the aliens just sit in cover waiting for you to show up.

This comment was edited on Jun 16, 2015, 13:03.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 16, 2015, 12:30 Creston

FF7 remake looks sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. May have to pick up a PS4 for that.  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 16, 2015, 12:22 Creston

Happy Bday Mrs. Blue! 27 forever!

News Comments > Ghost Recon Wildlands Announced
23. Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands Announced Jun 16, 2015, 12:21 Creston

By Ubisoft, so the graphics won't look anything like this when it comes out, but it still looks like it could be a lot of fun.

News Comments > Anno 2205 Announced
16. Re: Anno 2205 Announced Jun 16, 2015, 12:11 Creston

Everyone remember that 2070 had truly ludicrous amounts of DLC, so probably best to wait for a bundled edition.  

News Comments > The Division in March
20. Re: The Division in March Jun 16, 2015, 12:08 Creston

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 12:02:
They also blocked cross region trading and gifting on all game listings for Anno 2205 and yes, they sell a Season Pass already (part of the Gold Edition, listed as 70€ or 80€ without whatever rebate is in the works there. That's some extremely insane pricing for a game like this...

Ouch, that just reminds me that they absolutely DLC'ed Anno2070 to death. I got the entire game plus expansion for like 30 bucks or so, and it had a fantastic amount of content, but when I see how much of it was due to the DLC, I'm gonna guess that out of the box, anno9999 won't be as awesome.

I'll wait for a bundled edition.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Expansion Announced
6. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Expansion Announced Jun 16, 2015, 11:33 Creston

nin wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 08:40:
The Half Elf wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 19:21:
KOTOR Online: Awesome trailers, meh game.

Pretty much. I'm a little surprised Disney hasn't killed it (I guess that means it's making money) seeing as how it's non canon now...

Undoubtedly EA has a license for several years and would charge Disney a metric fuckton of cash if Disney tried to cancel it before the contract is up.

News Comments > Fallout 4 in November
90. Re: Fallout 4 in November Jun 16, 2015, 11:31 Creston

The crafting an entire settlement thing just looks fun as hell. I can't wait to build a monstrously fortified Yankee Stadium in the middle of fucking Boston.

News Comments > Mass Effect Andromeda Announced
40. Re: Mass Effect Andromeda Announced Jun 16, 2015, 11:00 Creston

Verno wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 09:07:
That leaked survey thing has a whole section on collecting resources, thanks EA just what people love about your games - BUSYWORK!

Witcher 3 proved you can have meaningful secondary content without making it repetitive grindathons, why can't EA with its infinitely bigger pockets figure this out?

Well, CDProjekt actually cares about their players, whereas EA only cares about money.

25734 Comments. 1287 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo