Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 25346 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Valve on Improving Steam Customer Service
32. Re: Valve on Improving Steam Customer Service Mar 14, 2015, 22:57 Creston

CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 14, 2015, 18:55:
because the first incarnations of Steam were the biggest pile of shit code ever shat out by any developer and that includes Derek Smart.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Cities: Skylines Soars
68. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 14, 2015, 22:49 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Mar 14, 2015, 20:28:
What is that list? Hours played in the past week?

No, that's people actually playing at that particular moment and I believe highest number of people playing in the last 24 hours.

News Comments > Valve on Improving Steam Customer Service
5. Re: Valve on Improving Steam Customer Service Mar 14, 2015, 15:18 Creston

"The more important thing is that we don't feel like our customer service support is where it needs to be right now,"

RIGHT NOW? Your customer support has been fucking terrible for over a fucking DECADE. Thanks for waking the fuck up.

60. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 14, 2015, 12:28 Creston

This is currently an issue for me. Population has been stagnant for about two years @ 30Kish. Not sure what's causing it.  

59. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 14, 2015, 12:18 Creston

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 14, 2015, 10:50:
If this game uses the same kind of traffic simulation as Sim Cities 5 then there is a *really* easy way to not get grid locked (This is how it worked in Cities in Motion too)

(snipped the rest)

It works mostly this way in C:S, though the question of when an intersection gets traffic lights and when it doesn't does seem to be a bit fiddly. Obviously one way lane into one way lane doesn't get a traffic light, but it seems kind of strange that sometimes I'll feed multiple 2 lane one ways into another 2 lane one way and it's fine, but when I feed those 2 lane one ways into a 6 lane one way, they get traffic lights at every intersection. Not sure if that's a bug or if I'm just missing something.

Imo so far, the big key to not getting too gridlocked is freeways. Freeways EVERYWHERE. And roundabouts, but you have to be careful with how small you make them. The default roundabouts are absolutely MASSIVE (like the size of an entire city block), but it seems that if you make them much smaller than that, traffic simply doesn't flow very well over it. (which is sorta realistic.)

The one thing I dislike about roundabouts is that currently, they give way to traffic from the right, which isn't how good roundabouts work. The roundabout should always have right of way, otherwise the whole thing just gridlocks and it becomes worse than an intersection.

Also, here's a sneaky thing (which could be considered glitchy, but whatever): A freeway ramp allows for much higher speeds than a normal road, so you can make one way roads with them that allow for excellent flow of traffic. Only downside is that you can't build on them, but if it's a road that you weren't planning on building on anyway, it definitely helps traffic flow.

General Discussion > Cities Skyline Bluesnoobs
4. Re: Cities Skyline Bluesnoobs Mar 14, 2015, 02:28 Creston

Power gets transferred from building to building on its own. So ten houses in a row where the first house is powered, all ten will have power. Essentially every thing that's powered has a bubble around it that sticks out a few grid squares, and if that bubble hits another building that needs power, it'll envelop that building and extend the bubble. The bubble is visible when you open the electricity panel.

So you really only need to draw power lines to stuff that's more than ~ 6 grid squares away from something else. (for example, the bubble can't cross a double freeway, though it'll cross every other road.)

While it may be tempting to just plonk a windmill down next to something that's far away and needs power (water inlets and drains are good examples), it's actually a lot cheaper to just pull power lines to it.

Note that once your city expands, the bubble will take over from your power lines in certain places, and you can then safely bulldoze those power lines without causing your city to blackout.

Really about the only thing that can be tricky is that it may be tempting to lay out a new grid for zoning and to immediately put down like 500 by 500 grid squares with zones, only to then watch the people randomly plop down buildings all around the area and thus being without power since they are too far away from each other. Then you have to pull power lines towards them, and the power lines break up the zones you put down. It's better to see where your bubble or power lines connect, and then slowly zone from that connection point and wait for the zones to get built, so the bubble can grow accordingly.

As for power generation, I tend to go 1 wind turbine (cuz they're cheap to put down) for the initial start, maybe a 2nd one, then several coal plants in a row. I don't typically bother with oil plants, as by the time they become available you can also put down the advanced wind turbine which seems to be the most efficient in Cost/MW as long as you have huge wind areas (dark spots on the placement map) so they can generate 20MW. Then once your money really starts coming in you'll want to put down like 4 or 5 Incinerators to deal with the garbage, and that's another 60 MW of power.

41. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 14, 2015, 00:15 Creston

Sepharo wrote on Mar 14, 2015, 00:09:
I left everything at default for taxes and funding, only use wind turbines, build stuff as soon as it's available, and still have plenty of money... So while Creston has some very good tips I don't think you should have to do that

To be honest, it varies massively per city and how you build. The first two cities I built, I had no money issues whatsoever, but in the third I was struggling to break even until I had 6000 people. There is undoubtedly some stuff going on under the hood with regards to the relation between industry and commercial (as commercial requires industry to make its products, and then be able to get them in a reasonably quick amount of time) and how badly gridlocked you get at the start. I haven't quite figured that out yet.

IF you are struggling with money, however, those tips will help out.

General Discussion > Cities Skyline Bluesnoobs
2. Re: Cities Skyline Bluesnoobs Mar 14, 2015, 00:09 Creston

I'll repost this here:

Nighthawk wrote on Mar 13, 2015, 21:07:
I picked it up because I like city building games, but I suck at them, so I haven't done well.
The game is decent and fun though...will be more once I figure out how to stabilize my finances.

Here are a few tips:

- Set taxes to 13% for everything. This will lower demand by a little, but it's more than offset by the massively increased revenue (it's thousands of Euros a week). 13% is the sweet spot. Everyone starts bitching at 14%.

- At the start, when you've just built a new building, lower its budget to ~ 60% or so. Healthcare you can easily lower to 50%. You don't need 8 ambulances driving around to pick up 1 sick person. Just keep an eye on the important things (power and water), because they will pretty quickly need adjusting. Most other stuff can easily be left at 60% until you're at about 5000 people, and then just shift them back up by ~ 10% for every 1000 extra people or so.

- Don't build something the second it becomes available. For example, don't plonk down a police station right when it's there. Wait until it becomes absolutely necessary, THEN pay for it. This is especially true for the cemetery, which you won't need for a LONG time after it becomes available. People will tell you when someone is dead, THEN you build one.

- In the same vein, don't build roads you don't need. It's nice to put down that 14km long 6 lane one-way boulevard so you know where you're planning to expand to, but every cell of that road costs like half a buck a week. It adds up quick. If you really MUST draw roads in advance to help with your planning, put down a shitty gravel road.

- Stay FARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR away from policies at the start. It may look cheap, but they can cost massive amounts of money (in my Seattle game, activating the "stay in school!" policy cost me like 2000 Euros a week in income...) You can worry about these things when you're making 15K a week.

- While civil service buildings have a radius, they do work outside of the radius too, so don't feel as if you need to have perfectly overlapping spheres of fire and police protection, as you don't. A cop WILL travel far outside his sphere of influence. The only time this becomes an issue is if your city is totally gridlocked, because then they can't travel to get there in time either.

- Don't worry about green power and all the other fancy stuff. Buy the cheap, dirty, efficient shit. You can replace it with pretty solar power plants etc later.

- Finally, take out the loans when they become available. However, when the second loan becomes available, take it and immediately pay off the first with it. The second loan is a lot cheaper in weekly payments.

Money really isn't too much of an issue in this game if you just go by those simple tips (really, the big one is just raise taxes to 13%. Everything else is ancillary.)

If you have any questions, let us know.

This comment was edited on Mar 14, 2015, 00:17.

39. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 14, 2015, 00:06 Creston

Nighthawk wrote on Mar 13, 2015, 21:07:
I picked it up because I like city building games, but I suck at them, so I haven't done well.
The game is decent and fun though...will be more once I figure out how to stabilize my finances.

Here are a few tips:

- Set taxes to 13% for everything. This will lower demand by a little, but it's more than offset by the massively increased revenue (it's thousands of Euros a week). 13% is the sweet spot. Everyone starts bitching at 14%.

- At the start, when you've just built a new building, lower its budget to ~ 60% or so. Healthcare you can easily lower to 50%. You don't need 8 ambulances driving around to pick up 1 sick person. Just keep an eye on the important things (power and water), because they will pretty quickly need adjusting. Most other stuff can easily be left at 60% until you're at about 5000 people, and then just shift them back up by ~ 10% for every 1000 extra people or so.

- Don't build something the second it becomes available. For example, don't plonk down a police station right when it's there. Wait until it becomes absolutely necessary, THEN pay for it. This is especially true for the cemetery, which you won't need for a LONG time after it becomes available. People will tell you when someone is dead, THEN you build one.

- In the same vein, don't build roads you don't need. It's nice to put down that 14km long 6 lane one-way boulevard so you know where you're planning to expand to, but every cell of that road costs like half a buck a week. It adds up quick. If you really MUST draw roads in advance to help with your planning, put down a shitty gravel road.

- Stay FARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR away from policies at the start. It may look cheap, but they can cost massive amounts of money (in my Seattle game, activating the "stay in school!" policy cost me like 2000 Euros a week in income...) You can worry about these things when you're making 15K a week.

- While civil service buildings have a radius, they do work outside of the radius too, so don't feel as if you need to have perfectly overlapping spheres of fire and police protection, as you don't. A cop WILL travel far outside his sphere of influence. The only time this becomes an issue is if your city is totally gridlocked, because then they can't travel to get there in time either.

- Don't worry about green power and all the other fancy stuff. Buy the cheap, dirty, efficient shit. You can replace it with pretty solar power plants etc later.

- Finally, take out the loans when they become available. However, when the second loan becomes available, take it and immediately pay off the first with it. The second loan is a lot cheaper in weekly payments.

Money really isn't too much of an issue in this game if you just go by those simple tips (really, the big one is just raise taxes to 13%. Everything else is ancillary.)

If you have any questions, let us know.

This comment was edited on Mar 14, 2015, 00:17.

20. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 13, 2015, 18:44 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Mar 13, 2015, 17:55:
As awful as Simcity was, it still sold more than 2M copies.

Not in the first day. It also had roughly 50 times the budget this did.

Give it time, I think C:S may overtake that 2M.

19. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 13, 2015, 18:41 Creston

harlock wrote on Mar 13, 2015, 17:15:
just wait till you get to 75K+ ... and the highway routing...

So far, my version of Seattle has probably got 20+ highway intersections. It's getting pretty crazy.

ASeven wrote on Mar 13, 2015, 17:17:
But Creston... you can't be having fun, you're not using the power of the cloud to power the game!!!

Oh shits! What will I do?

*continues playing offline.*

Btw, EA, my city is now 8 squares, 5 of which are getting pretty full, and guess what? Oh, that's right, it still runs like smooth silk on my machine.

9. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 13, 2015, 17:14 Creston

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 13, 2015, 16:48:
Cities: Skylines mod completely recreates GTAV's Los Santos

o_O

8. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 13, 2015, 17:11 Creston

Awesome, congrats guys!

Great game, but be warned, it's not a "just plop shit down to make it look pretty and it'll work" city builder. So far every time I've reached ~10K population my city has ground to a terrifying halt due to traffic issues. I'm finally starting to wrap my head around them, which is making it a bit easier, but it's definitely a thinking man's city builder.

However, it is SO easy to lose hours and hours and hours in this game, it's incredible. And there are already roughly 900 hojillion mods/files available on the Steam workshop too.

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Mar 12, 2015, 22:10 Creston

Aw, RIP, Terry...

News Comments > Just Cause 3 Collector's Edition Voting
7. Re: Just Cause 3 Collector's Edition Voting Mar 12, 2015, 18:07 Creston

I vote on it being out next week.

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZE?

News Comments > Star Citizen is Huge
36. Re: Star Citizen is Huge Mar 12, 2015, 12:17 Creston

That's... not good news. People on slow connections or with restrictive caps aren't going to be able to handle that on a consistent basis.

Sigh

News Comments > Project CARS Delayed
4. Re: Project CARS Delayed Mar 11, 2015, 22:04 Creston

I'd be sad, but I have no money right now anyway, so eh.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Cities: Skylines
28. Re: Ships Ahoy - Cities: Skylines Mar 11, 2015, 17:52 Creston

Very strange. I'm playing it on a Panasonic Viera that runs at 60hz and the game behaves fine.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Cities: Skylines
26. Re: Ships Ahoy - Cities: Skylines Mar 11, 2015, 15:37 Creston

harlock wrote on Mar 11, 2015, 13:23:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 11, 2015, 01:44:
I'd give it a week to see what warts are found as the people get deeper into it.

found one already, not exactly game breaking but annoying enough for me to wait for purchase -

there is no vsync option in settings - and forcing it on in nvidia control panel somehow doesnt work - and there is constant, severe screen tearing since the game runs at such a high framerate compared to my shitty 60hz monitor

Aren't you on a 970, harlock? Weird, I have no tearing issues whatsoever...

News Comments > Descent Reboot Kickstarter
34. Re: Descent Reboot Kickstarter Mar 11, 2015, 13:10 Creston

I never liked Descent much (my mind probably just doesn't work in 3D) but I was glad to see an announcement for a KS'ed sequel. Then I see that it's MP only.

... huh?

25346 Comments. 1268 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo