Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 24234 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous VR Impressions
23. Re: Elite: Dangerous VR Impressions Nov 7, 2014, 14:04 Creston

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 09:25:
Question for those of you with the OR:

How does it work with glasses? I'm not ashamed to admit that, in my old age, my eyesight has gotten worse and my lenses have gotten a bit thicker. If it's like other VR headgear that I've tried, they mash my glasses in to my face which isn't just uncomfortable but gives me a raging headache in a short amount of time.

I don't have one, but I've been following their news on it for awhile. They offer different lenses, essentially with different focal points and varying depths, to basically both try to offset the additional space you need on your face, and to help counter the fact that your stigmatism is different from someone with 20/20 vision.

However, the stronger your glasses / worse your vision or stigmatism, the less likely it is that they'll have a set of lenses that can help counter it. I imagine people with -0.5 to -5 (no idea if they even offer lenses to counter + strengths) or so should be okay, but beyond that it likely becomes a case of "if you're lucky."

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ubisoft vs. Steam?
66. Re: Ubisoft vs. Steam? Nov 7, 2014, 13:55 Creston

Primalchrome wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 13:43:
To bring it around...everyone I know...and probably everyone on this site have bought more games since Steam has been out. Yes, we're older and have more disposable income. The real drive behind the sales is convenience and pricing. Impulse buys. "I can't go wrong for $9.99" buys.

Very, very true. I've bought hundreds of games "because they were cheap."

On the flipside, even if/when the game industry goes full retard and thinks to permanently fuck me over with insane DRM / pay to win / nickle and dime horseshit schemes, I have enough games to easily last me another decade or two.

65. Re: Ubisoft vs. Steam? Nov 7, 2014, 13:52 Creston

Slashman wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 13:41:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 13:33:
Rattlehead wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 11:06:
Pirate bay all the way.

Don't be a douchenozzle.

Is "douchenozzle" copyrighted? Can I use that too?

Yes, I own it. But feel free to use it.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous on December 16
3. Re: Elite: Dangerous on December 16 Nov 7, 2014, 13:48 Creston

My hats off, and apologies, to David Braben (and team.)

I thought for sure he was just trying to get in on the free Kickstarter money, and had no intention of actually working on this game, same as he'd done the roughly twenty previous years.

But they got it done, and appear to have made a great sequel to Elite while they were at it. (Or should I just call it a remake?)

Great, great work, and I hope it becomes massively succesfull. Kudos.

47. Re: Ubisoft vs. Steam? Nov 7, 2014, 12:49 Creston

Beamer wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 12:46:
But Valve takes ~30%. Did it cut sales by 30%? Probably not.

I doubt it did. If it did, EA wouldn't stick with it. This is an outfit that would happily fuck you over if it makes them five extra bucks. They wouldn't ignore Steam if it was costing them "ten times the sales".

NKD wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 12:45:
The skepticism around Origin didn't really pan out. Yeah, a lot of us hardcore grognards try to avoid it, but most PC gamers don't give a fuck and go where the game they want is. After all, if you look at it objectively the icon you click to get the game going is a pretty minor concern compared to whether the game is actually any good. EA's numbers since moving to Origin look good, so it's hard to call their move stupid.

Exactly. And Origin isn't as good as Steam, but it's nowhere near bad enough to miss out on Bioware's games for. (for me)

43. Re: Ubisoft vs. Steam? Nov 7, 2014, 12:41 Creston

Jerykk wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 12:24:
Unfortunately, as Origin has proved, removing your games from Steam is simply going to stop many people from buying your games.

I don't think it's proved anything of the kind. BF3 and BF4 sold millions and millions of copies. ME3 was by far the best selling title in the series. Pre-orders for DA:I are the highest in Bioware's history, across all platforms.

It's obviously working well enough that EA is sticking with it.

This comment was edited on Nov 7, 2014, 12:48.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
18. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 7, 2014, 12:37 Creston

NKD wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 20:23:
beremot wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 19:50:

Are Wu, etc, really going on twitter and saying "I'm getting all these rape and death threats, and that is EXACTLY the same as if I were actually being raped and murdered?"

No that's not what she is saying. And I don't believe that there's anything fundamentally wrong with saying "These two things are both related to misogyny." because that's absolutely true. But that's not what was said.

Here's the link to the Tweet.

Police investigating 4chan link to murdered woman. Gamergate, tell me again how my life isn't in danger

She suggests that this case lends credibility to the online threats she received. Even though there were no online threats that we know of, the man was the woman's live-in boyfriend, and had a documented history of domestic violence and threats. The dynamics of this problem are different, so the solution and the conversation must also be different. History and statistics show us that domestic violence is a clear and present danger for many women. Being murdered by an anonymous Twitter user is not. There simply isn't a history of people making good on these threats. It's everyone's right to have an irrational fear not backed up by the numbers. You can't help being afraid of whatever you're afraid of. You can't shut it off.

But when you start voicing that fear publicly, don't be surprised when people accuse you of fear-mongering and generalization.

I have no objection to her stating that these things are related vis-a-vis misogyny, which they are. But the timing and context of her tweet are in poor taste and make it look like she's making it about herself and somehow comparing her situation to the situation of an actual abuse victim who probably lived every day in fear of a known credible threat who shared her home.

If she had simply linked to the story and said "This is scary shit!" or something, the entire tone of her tweet would have been different. But no, she had to name drop Gamergate, which immediately colors things differently.

Yep, I gotta agree here. "Quickly, I have to point the attention back on me!"

I think if Brianna Wu actually genuinely was scared for her life, she'd stop posting. This whole heroic "They can't make me change my life!" attitude works in movies, but in real life, nobody is going to keep standing up for something as retarded as this entire gamergate thing has evolved into if they were genuinely worried they would get killed over it. Nobody is that heroic.

If she'd stop using twitter and stop calling attention out to herself, nobody would remember who she was in a week. But this allows her to keep getting sympathy and to keep in the news.

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Requires 64-bit OS
58. Re: Far Cry 4 Requires 64-bit OS Nov 7, 2014, 12:26 Creston

harlock wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 09:16:
Creston wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 00:41:
harlock wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 23:04:
im still waiting for the 8GB versions of the 970 before i buy... i heard they are right around the corner... shit needs to get here im fucking ready

Would they do 8GB versions of the 970? Typically they go for the top memory number in their most powerful card, so I'd expect an 8GB 980 and a 6GB 970?

rumor mill says they will both be 8gb, like they are both 4gb now

That'd be cool.

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Requires 64-bit OS
57. Re: Far Cry 4 Requires 64-bit OS Nov 7, 2014, 12:26 Creston

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 10:02:
Creston wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 15:56:
You got both?? Holy shit. What card did you buy? (I know, GTX970, but what manufacturer?)
There was a deal with Overclockers.co.uk and you get a free code with any GTX 970 or GTX 980, as part of an nVidia promotion. I ordered two of the GALAX GeForce GTX 970 EX OC, which are factory overclocked - that entitled me to two free games, for which I chose Far Cry 4 and Assassin's Creed: Unity.

I'm really happy as when I originally ordered they weren't included - the deal only launched about a week later. Anyway, I phoned up and they sent them out without any hassle. Excellent customer service.

Yeah I thought you'd gotten two games when you bought one card. I never saw you said cards plural.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
9. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 7, 2014, 12:24 Creston

BitWraith wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 09:22:
I have to ask why anyone out there would want to listen to random American's conversations. What good is the data? Would anyone really want to listen to Cutter's home life (assuming he has someone to communicate with?). Does the NSA really need to know what's going on with Grandma?

Given the state of the last election, I seriously doubt there are any hard-hitting political conversations going on out there.

Why would the NSA want to read everyone's SMS messages? You'd think there's only so much

OMG LIEK 4 REL?LOLZZZLL!!!
I KNW RT???! SO LAME!!

any living organism could put up with. They still grab all of them. They grab all Skype traffic too. And emails. And fucking Facebook posts. FACEBOOK POSTS! The absolute epitomy of verbal diarrhea, but they grab all of it. etc etc etc. Why do you think they wouldn't grab this?

34. Re: Ubisoft vs. Steam? Nov 7, 2014, 12:19 Creston

Kajetan wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 11:44:
No. You don't

I use Steam, because its a matured and stable and convenient client. For several years now and not just recent. Yes, i have an Origin and Uplay account with a handfull games combined, but only to experience them for myself. If EA and Ubisoft decide to make some games exclusive to their own platforms, i simply do not buy them. I was surprised how easy this decision was. I dont have the feeling i am missing something. And seeing more and more EA games coming back to Steam ... well, i can wait. And if not, then the world doesnt end. EA and Ubi have NOTHING i want so desperate that i buy games with their clients.

Which is fine, obviously this will differ for every person. I ignore all EA games except Bioware, but Ubisoft makes pretty awesome games (or rather, they make a pretty awesome game in five different coats each year, since it's just the same game they make over and over again), and I WANT to play them.

And what about games from other publishers? Would you ignore those too? WB will have their own client next year, and it's a safe bet their games will vanish from Steam once they have an X amount of people on their service. More publishers will follow.

I guess if you only ever want to play Valve games, you can just have Steam. For that one game they release every four years.

News Comments > Star Citizen at $60M
44. Re: Star Citizen at $60M Nov 7, 2014, 11:57 Creston

Verno wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 08:34:
I wonder what would happen if you ran a diff on these Star Citizen threads

Limited slip?

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: The $9 Billion Witness: Meet JPMorgan Chase's Worst Nightmare Nov 7, 2014, 11:55 Creston

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 11:24:
Oh and if we want to be petty and shallow, who was president then? What admin in control then? Since everyone loves to play that game.

You are aware that all the post-2008 petting of the banks and not actually bringing a single fucking criminal suit against ANY of their executives all happened under Obama's watch, right? And he signed off on Holden BURYING every single shred of evidence?

26. Re: Ubisoft vs. Steam? Nov 7, 2014, 11:35 Creston

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 11:30:
You really have to put yourself in their shoes. If Steam was all that, they should have invited these companies in as a consortium, a coop. That can still happen if they wanted to. This imo all goes back to MS fucking up and not seeing this on the PC level and having an open marketplace for all.

I don't blame Ubisoft for doing it, it makes perfect sense for them.

However, the Uplay client is a terrible piece of shit for me personally, because I can't download a game at work, then just back it up and port it to my home computer and play there. I HAVE to download it on the PC it will be played it. Which means 5 fucking days of downloading.

Eh, all it ensures is that from now on I'm buying their games when they're 5 bucks on Amazon.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Road Rage Nov 7, 2014, 11:32 Creston

Well, send that video to someone who can sharpen it up a bit, get the license plate, and have that piece of shit arrested for attempted murder.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 7, 2014, 11:22 Creston

NKD wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 10:14:
A definitive version of the ME trilogy would be nice. All the DLCs included, maybe a few graphical updates for ME1. Looks like they aren't planning on making huge gameplay changes, so the gameplay of ME1 would stay intact for example.

A re-release with all DLC would be pretty awesome, and if sold for say 50 or 60 bucks would be just absurd value.

And this list the guy offers seems pretty damn sweet. I'd probably buy a new console for that:

- 1080p

- 60 fps

- High res textures, especially on ME1

- Some shader improvements commensurate with newer GPUs

- All the DLC

- "Seamless experience" - the adventures flow into each other without having to go back to save import, menu screens, etc.

News Comments > Just Cause 3 Microtransaction Follow-up
4. Re: Just Cause 3 Microtransaction Follow-up Nov 7, 2014, 11:20 Creston

NKD wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 09:52:
Way to not clarify anything dude. Jesus this is why companies are forced to have PR teams. Game developers have zero ability to keep it simple.

It's funny because I was going to say "Way to parrot your fucking PR guy there, Sundberg."

19. Re: Ubisoft vs. Steam? Nov 7, 2014, 11:06 Creston

Kajetan wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 09:44:
Darks wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 09:41:
I see Ubi still hasn't learned their lesson.
They have. People had enough of being forced to use Steam AND Uplay, so they listened to customer wishes and removed Steam

Yeah, I was wondering when they'd take the jump.

It sucks, because there is zero fucking portability with Uplay, but it means a lot more money in their pocket. EA hasn't suffered under not being on Steam, so expect to see this more and more. Yay.

I guess anti-Steam people will get their wish, Steam will no longer be the dominant platform. Instead you'll have 30 different fucking clients (and 30 accounts that can be hacked...)

News Comments > Into the Black
16. Re: Into the Black Nov 7, 2014, 00:49 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 21:39:
"The Force Awakens?" Haha, c'mon guys. What's the real name of the new Star Wars movie.

If it had an Honest Name, it'd be "Star Wars: Because You Can't Fucking Resist! "

(Yes, the smiley would be in the name)

News Comments > Into the Black
15. Re: Into the Black Nov 7, 2014, 00:48 Creston

nin wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 21:07:
Wolfox wrote on Nov 6, 2014, 20:45:
Say what you want, but anything would be better than "The Gungan Jedi Master".

Or who knows, that might be the subtitle for Episode IX. Less likely than under George Lucas, but still not too unlikely.

I fucking dare JJ to slip in a line about the destruction of the planet of naboo and watch the crowd cheer.

But... All the hot naboo girls??

24234 Comments. 1212 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo