Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 25283 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > Skyrim Mod Size Limit to End
10. Re: Skyrim Mod Size Limit to End Mar 2, 2015, 22:56 Creston

Silicon Avatar wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 19:37:
Interesting.

I wonder if this is something they developed for FO4 and decided to test it out on Skyrim..

That seems pretty likely, yeah. Otherwise I'm not sure why they'd go through the bother of updating Skyrim more than a year after they said they were done with it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Into the Black
10. Re: Into the Black Mar 2, 2015, 22:54 Creston

At least that old-man walker of his can have a lot of guns and flamethrowers taped to it.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
2. Re: Using a SSD? This news will make you want to backup right now Mar 1, 2015, 16:50 Creston

Simon Says wrote on Mar 1, 2015, 16:30:
"Using a SSD? This news will make you want to backup right now"

Testing doesn't support this theory...

Google "techreport ssd endurance test two petabytes"

That's a very small sample endurance test. What this article is saying is "SSDs can break!" Well, duh. HDs break too, and your odds of recovering data are really no better or worse.

That said, we've been having issues with Intel SSDs at work, where from one moment to the next, the drive craters and only reports 8 bytes of available space. All data on it is completely lost (at least to the meager tools we have available.) It's happened about 3 or 4 times now in the last six months or so.

News Comments > HTC's SteamVR Headset Revealed
7. Re: HTC's SteamVR Headset Revealed Mar 1, 2015, 16:47 Creston

If it interacts with your room (from what I can gather), shouldn't it more accurately be called AR rather than VR?

It definitely seems as if every tech manufacturer is ready to forget about 3D and jump on the next bandwagon.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
43. Re: speechless Feb 28, 2015, 22:40 Creston

harlock wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 20:06:
Sepharo wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 19:48:
harlock wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 18:44:
slow day at blues

Thanks for the Black Sails recommendation.
The first two episodes were great, I'm looking forward to watching the rest.
With AMC, HBO, and now Starz I guess there's a lot of good TV to watch. I still have season 4 of Hell on Wheels to watch too.

season 2 of black sails, man... you'll remember i said this, when you see it.. its a slow build, but then..

its ... man its great

What does it show on? What channel, I mean?

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
5. Re: Saturday Metaverse Feb 28, 2015, 16:59 Creston

jimnms wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 16:18:
No, I haven't used Unbox in a while.

I think you need to update in order to get the version that basically allows you to bypass the DRM in it. That's what the article seems to imply anyway:

Update the Amazon Unbox application to the latest version. This version includes a one-time license conversion that will make your videos available within Windows Media Player. Open the Unbox application and there will be an "Upgrade" notification you can use to do this. You can also click the "Settings" option in the Unbox menu and select "Check for Amazon Unbox Upgrades."

I agree, however, that it's still horseshit.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
3. Re: Saturday Metaverse Feb 28, 2015, 15:27 Creston

jimnms wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 12:34:
That article was from Feb. 25th. I've use Unbox to download purchases and didn't get an email. This is a shitty move Amazon, unless this new version strips the DRM out, you'll be unable to play your purchased videos if you ever re-install Windows or copy them to a new PC.

Did you upgrade unbox to the latest version? If so, talk to a CSR.

I only own one thing on Amazon worth $10, so it's not a huge deal to me, but it's still shitty because I actually bought it to view offline before I realized I had to use that crappy unbox bullshit.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
6. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Feb 28, 2015, 02:47 Creston

Yeah I'm not sure how much they can do with it either, but I guess we'll see.

News Comments > etc., etc.
5. Re: etc., etc. Feb 27, 2015, 23:00 Creston

Frijoles wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 21:09:
Since they can't decide who owns it, sounds like we're all clear to pirate the hell out of it. I bet re-releasing it would get someone to find the paperwork.

I still have both games, but I've never been able to get them to work anymore. The first NOLF stops working in the third or fourth cutscene because Kate's character never gets drawn and thus for whatever reason the entire cutscene just sits there waiting, and the second one would always fail to launch with some weird-ass .dll error.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
4. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Feb 27, 2015, 22:58 Creston

I'm glad underworld made it. Would have supported, but Kickstarter's stupid new CC middleman no longer takes my credit card. So... :-shrug-:

News Comments > FCC Reinstates Net Neutrality; Unfetters Local Broadband
152. Re: FCC Reinstates Net Neutrality; Unfetters Local Broadband Feb 27, 2015, 22:51 Creston

SengFeng wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 17:50:
The chairman of the FCC himself eluded to the fact that the internet COMMERCE was needing to be watched. What other reason besides funneling money from internet businesses would there be for this usurping of power?

He was referring to the long-existing talk of unilaterally charging sales tax on internet sales, with the seller actually collecting that money the same way shops have to do. The government has been eyeing that sweet, sweet internet money since LONG before Tom Wheeler decided to start giving a shit about how the average US citizen was being stomped on by AT&T etc.

151. Re: FCC Reinstates Net Neutrality; Unfetters Local Broadband Feb 27, 2015, 22:50 Creston

JediPunisher wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 18:12:
Creston wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 17:46:
The government can levy a tax on internet service whenever it wants to), but why would it get slower?

Do you really think more people watching Netflix will make the Internet faster?

Hehehe. Look, this may have been something to worry about ten years ago or so, but today this is absolutely a non-existant issue anymore. The only place where slowdowns can potentially still occur are at the Last Mile, because that's all shared over a single node. (And I guess, technically, they can happen when shitheels like Comcast try to weasel money out of Netflix and deliberately slow shit down.) Since these upgrades would be happening in rural and other underserved areas, which would not be on your particular node, you'd never notice. Single switches in the Tier 1 backbone network now are in the 10Tbps range. There is absolutely no congestion on the Tier 1 network, and adding the 20% or so of the country that currently has shitty speeds wouldn't even be a blip.

This is why the overages AT&T and Verizon etc are charging for an extra GB on "4"G are horseshit. It costs them like a tenth of a penny to deliber a GB of data on current infrastructure. Gotta love that 100000% markup. Which is why it baffles me that there are people who will complain that there really doesn't have to be any action taken against this sort of thing. Why do you think Verizon is really so mad?

And this is without going into possibilities such as multicasts, (which Netflix would love to do since it saves them bandwith as well.)

There are many bottlenecks in the Internet, and it will take time and money to improve them... In the meantime, expect slower speeds and bandwidth caps.

Nah. Really dude, you don't have to worry about that. Even if they provide every currently underserved household with a Gbps connection, the rest of the US would never even notice. (all other things considered equal)

This comment was edited on Feb 27, 2015, 22:55.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Visual Upgrade Coming
12. Re: Wasteland 2 Visual Upgrade Coming Feb 27, 2015, 22:38 Creston

Cutter wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 19:23:
So are the visual improvements white and gold or black and blue?

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Visual Upgrade Coming
11. Re: Wasteland 2 Visual Upgrade Coming Feb 27, 2015, 22:38 Creston

That is 100% pure effing awesomeness galore of them. Thank you, inXile

To be honest, I didn't even realize there'd be modding tools released for Wasteland 2. Have any been released yet, or is this all Still To Come?

141. Re: FCC Reinstates Net Neutrality; Unfetters Local Broadband Feb 27, 2015, 17:46 Creston

JediPunisher wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 17:29:
They plan to "spread the broadband around" to those with crappy service and limit an ISP’s ability to throttle service for certain content (such as Netflix). It sounds ok, but it'll probably result in higher costs and slower broadband for the rest of us.

Cost is definitely possible (though that was always the case even before NN too. The government can levy a tax on internet service whenever it wants to), but why would it get slower?

And in any case, there's been a fund to provide broadband to the 'underserved' ever since the WWW got started, and AT&T, Verizon and their miserable ilk pull millions and millions and millions of dollars a year out of this fund, and then they provide service by upgrading one single neighborhood from 10mbps to 25mbps and call it a fucking day.

So yeah, maybe it's good that there's now some regulation that states that if you want to get money out of that fund, you actually have to provide service to areas that basically have none.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
49. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2015, 17:13 Creston

Leonard Nimoy died.

Rest in peace, Leonard.

already reported by harlock and Quboid, but still....

News Comments > Cities: Skylines Modding Diary
15. Re: Cities: Skylines Modding Diary Feb 26, 2015, 23:06 Creston

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 26, 2015, 16:04:
I did watch those Creston, thanks for the link though.
Check this one out too if you haven't already.

Thanks homie

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Feb 26, 2015, 22:59 Creston

To make everything complete, Obama should do a press conference where he just says "I'm tired of Verizon's whining. I'm revoking their license to do business in the United States. BOOM!" *drops the mic*

Fuck Verizon. Fuck every single worthless executive and lawyer in that entire shithole. Boil in your own fucking tears, you miserable pieces of shit.

News Comments > On PC Battlefield Hardline
3. Re: On PC Battlefield Hardline Feb 26, 2015, 22:55 Creston

Who is Mike Glosecki, and why is there a Windows edition of him?

"Battlefield Hardline is being built on PC alongside the other platforms. We’re doing what we can to take advantage of people’s different system with the graphics, framerate, controls, etc. We’re not just porting it over.

Uh-huh... "No, really, guys, it's ferreals this time! WE PROMISE! COME BACK!"

News Comments > Fable Legends to be Free-to-Play
3. Re: Fable Legends to be Free-to-Play Feb 26, 2015, 22:54 Creston

Windows 10 exclusive. Heh.

25283 Comments. 1265 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo