Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 26536 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > Into the Black
16. Re: Into the Black Dec 9, 2015, 13:07 Creston

Cabezone wrote on Dec 9, 2015, 04:46:
That's why you prototype equipment, to find flaws. The cathodic protection was not installed for some reason. It's an easy fix. That editorial you linked is from some jackass who couldn't spend a few minutes researching this type of corrosion.

I just quickly googled it and copied the first link. And sure, it's an easy fix, but it's quite hilarious / super irritating that a multi-billion dollar new combat ship disintegrates in salt water. And the Navy and the builder have spent two years pointing the finger at each other over whose fault it is.

Nobody in the military gives a damn about how much over budget they go. There's always more billions of dollars in the defense budget, just spend it!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Into the Black Dec 9, 2015, 13:05 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Dec 9, 2015, 04:08:
The plan was to have 32 of these. Instead we're getting 3.

That's because Saudi Arabia is buying them.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 9, 2015, 13:01 Creston

Release it by March next year, mmmkay Google? I'm buying a new PC right around that time, and could do with a PC that runs Fallout 4 at 900 trillion FPS!

News Comments > Morning Interviews
8. Re: Morning Interviews Dec 9, 2015, 13:00 Creston

PHJF wrote on Dec 9, 2015, 12:40:
The UI is an enormous problem. I've seen some good UIs on console games, but Skyrim's was abysmal and FO4's is somehow even worse. Playing the game on PS4, performing just about any function is inordinately difficult and cumbersome, and I hear it's no better with M+K.

Eh, it's not too bad. The biggest problem is that buttons which open things don't also close them. How people can work on a PC version and still miss this simplest of all UI issues is beyond me, but I'm sure Bethesda again allowed one intern to work on the PC UI for exactly one lunch break, despite the fact that Skyrim sold 348katrillion copies on PC, so whatever.

There are some small finnicky issues in the build UI as well, but overall it works pretty well.

I think the single biggest criticism I can levy against the game is how sifting through garbage to find loot in previous games has become picking up virtually everything. When the player is actively encouraged to collect what THE GAME ITSELF classifies as "Junk", you've got a big fucking design problem.

I actually quite like this part of it. It encourages you to pay more attention to the ruined world around you, rather than just run through and only pay attention to the moving bits. The biggest issue is that junk is far too ever-present for it to feel more than just a chore. If there was a lot less junk in the world, but every piece of junk gave you a lot more items, I think it would feel a lot better.

I would like to point out that you're never obligated to collect junk, btw. You can just as easily buy it from traders, or, if you're extremely uninterested, just build a scavenging station and assign a settler to it, and he'll randomly create bits of crap in your workbench.

I have 21 settlements, and about six or seven settlers scavenging in each, and the amount of stuff I have to build with is just hilarious. I could have built all the stuff required for the teleport portal about 500 times over.

5. Re: Into the Black Dec 8, 2015, 23:50 Creston

This is that same fucking piece of shit that literally DISSOLVES IN SALT WATER

We bitch a lot at the F-35 fiasco, deservedly, but what the Navy is doing is 100% as retarded. Littoral combat ships that have little to no shred of self defense, concurrency shit on our carriers which has caused us to be short on carriers, etc.

You'd think there'd be SOMEONE with half a brain cell in the military SOMEWHERE?

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. Re: Evening Safety Dance Dec 8, 2015, 23:47 Creston

"Be warned, support for all those browsers that randomly break under mysterious circumstances and you spend three days troubleshooting just trying to figure out why it WON'T.FUCKING.WORK will end soon. If you wish to remain unbelievably aggravated at our browser, you will have to be on the latest version!"

Fuck IE. Fuck it with a rusty fucking hammer.

News Comments > PC Final Fantasy VI Next Week
7. Re: UGH! Dec 8, 2015, 23:44 Creston

PixelScuba wrote on Dec 8, 2015, 21:57:
"New features include painstakingly recreated graphics by veteran character designer Kazuko Shibuya..."

Did she revert to an earlier stage in her artistic development? The artwork actually looks WORSE than it did over 20 years ago! I was drawing better artwork for RPGMaker95 in the late 90s!

Yep, what I was afraid of. Shitty mobile port released on the PC. Thank you so much, Square Enix! Rolleyes

News Comments > Fallout 4 Patch Breaks Mod Support
46. Re: Fallout 4 Patch Breaks Mod Support Dec 8, 2015, 16:50 Creston

Sigh, I just knew it. No issues with the game whatsoever besides the occasional funky glitch in the game for 120+ hours straight, and the patch gets sneak installed last night, and voila, 2 crashes already so far today.

FUCKING FANTASTIC. Thanks for no longer allowing people to defer patches, Steam. Really appreciate it.

News Comments > System Shock 3 Teased
10. Re: System Shock 3 Teased Dec 8, 2015, 11:02 Creston

I wonder if Night Dive is giving Otherside the dev work for SS3.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 8, 2015, 11:01 Creston

It's effing ridiculous what MS is doing. If people don't want to upgrade to 10, don't force them. What if they have old hardware that won't work? You're still going to force the upgrade down their throat and brick their PCs?

Also, oh, are you on metered internet through satellite? Here, have 20 Gigs of Windows 10 update you don't want.

MS's behavior has been downright bullshit.

News Comments > System Shock 3 Teased
7. Re: System Shock 3 Teased Dec 8, 2015, 10:54 Creston

Task wrote on Dec 8, 2015, 10:44:
No Bioware, which means no Romanceable Shodan.

That made me giggle.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. Re: Evening Safety Dance Dec 8, 2015, 10:54 Creston

Here's what baffles me about this Nemesis malware:

The bootkit intercepts several system interrupts to assist with the injection of the primary Nemesis components during the boot process. The bootkit hijacks the BIOS interrupt[6] responsible for miscellaneous system services and patches the associated Interrupt Vector Table entry so it can intercept memory queries once the operating system loader gains control. The bootkit then passes control to the original VBR to allow the boot process to continue. While the operating system is being loaded, the bootkit also intercepts the interrupt and scans the operating system loader memory for a specific instruction that transfers the CPU from real mode to protected mode.[7] This allows the bootkit to patch the Interrupt Descriptor Table each time the CPU changes from real mode to protected mode. This patch involves a modified interrupt handler that redirects control to the bootkit every time a specific address is executed. This is what allows the bootkit to detect and intercept specific points of the operating system loader execution and inject Nemesis components as part of the normal kernel loading.

It does all this, and yet Windows will still continue to boot normally and work normally! Yet if a single frikking file gets corrupted in your Windows directory somewhere, odds are good it simply refuses to boot...

In short, Microsoft needs to hire the guys who wrote Nemesis and have them program their entire OS for them.

News Comments > Cyberpunk 2077 Next Year?
6. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Next Year? Dec 8, 2015, 10:32 Creston

I doubt it, given what they've said before. But it would be awesome.

News Comments > Full Throttle Remastered & Psychonauts VR Game Announced
25. Re: Full Throttle Remastered & Psychonauts VR Game Announced Dec 7, 2015, 10:38 Creston

Full Throttle remake would be fun.  

News Comments > Half-Life 3 Rumor Fuel
19. Re: Half-Life 3 Rumor Fuel Dec 7, 2015, 10:18 Creston

:-yawn-:

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Dec 7, 2015, 10:17 Creston

Nooooooooooooooo! Get outta town?!

News Comments > Paragon is a MOBA
5. Re: Paragon is a MOBA Dec 6, 2015, 16:29 Creston

Epic is basically just a bandwagon jumper now, apparently? Just about three years too late in each instance.

"The kids play Minecraft! Quick, make a minecraft game!"
"MOBAs are hot?! Let's make one!"

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 5, 2015, 13:40 Creston

Man that sucks for McGee. Here's hoping she'll turn out alright.

News Comments > AX-EL - Air XenoDawn Released
1. Re: AX-EL - Air XenoDawn Released Dec 5, 2015, 13:39 Creston

This really doesn't look half-bad.

News Comments > Just Cause 3 Patch Status
32. Re: Just Cause 3 Patch Status Dec 5, 2015, 13:38 Creston

The rebels are blue and the bad guys are red, but unlike JC2 where they were predominantly red and blue, here they are mostly khaki with some blue or red accents.

It's pretty difficult to make out if you're in a helicopter...

26536 Comments. 1327 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo