Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 22083 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
8. Re: Sunday Metaverse Mar 23, 2014, 23:46 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Mar 23, 2014, 20:39:
I think part of the problem is that it was a he-said-she-said issue, since people were just guessing that ISPs were throttling traffic.

Really? You think people were just guessing at that? Then explain how, after Netflix paid Comcast, ALL the Netflix speed issues for Comcast customers vanished like snow before the sun? Pure coincidence?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > EverQuest Next Landmark Closed Beta Next Week
22. Re: EverQuest Next Landmark Closed Beta Next Week Mar 23, 2014, 11:33 Creston

Dang, it's in Beta already? That's going very quick. I didn't expect to see this until 2016 or 2017 or so.

Edit: Oh wait, this is not the big "Change everything" MMO, is it?

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
15. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 22, 2014, 22:16 Creston

Linthat22 wrote on Mar 22, 2014, 12:23:
So are there any contented XBOwners on here?

*crickets*

News Comments > etc., etc.
26. Re: etc., etc. Mar 22, 2014, 22:12 Creston

Eirikrautha wrote on Mar 22, 2014, 18:47:
Do you think Mozart and Beethoven never listened to feedback?

Pretty sure Beethoven didn't listen to any feedback... since he was deaf...

Hahahaha touche

News Comments > Bulletstorm Disappears from Steam
24. Re: Bulletstorm Disappears from Steam Mar 22, 2014, 22:11 Creston

007Bistromath wrote on Mar 22, 2014, 18:37:
Sepharo wrote on Mar 22, 2014, 17:39:
We've probably covered this situation before but... will I still be able to download, install, and play the copy I purchased on Steam?
I never got around to it. Realistically I probably never will but that doesn't mean I won't feel ripped off if I've lost access.

Yes, but my understanding is that it won't work at all, which is why they stopped selling it.

Word on the street is that Steam copies use an outdated, broken GFWL client. Won't talk to the servers at all. For some reason, it was easier to do this than update it; I guess that's why they're considering this confirmation that they're tearing GFWL down?

The good news is you can still play it without buying it again, just not on Steam. For whatever reason Origin copies work. If you get the CD key associated with your Steam copy and redeem it in Origin, it should work fine. I haven't tested the Origin version personally as I'm currently low on HD space, but several users on the Steam forum report this as a serviceable workaround, provided that you're willing to put up with Origin.

Thanks Bistro!

News Comments > Bulletstorm Disappears from Steam
13. Re: Bulletstorm Disappears from Steam Mar 22, 2014, 17:49 Creston

though they note that the game is still available on Origin, GFWL and all.

Well, duh. EA has never let something as minor as "You are unable to actually play this game" stop them from still selling it.

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Rumor Extravaganza
21. Re: Far Cry 4 Rumor Extravaganza Mar 22, 2014, 13:10 Creston

Spektr wrote on Mar 22, 2014, 11:06:
I was kinda actually expecting them to make a game in afghanistan to be honest.

Because drab brown levels are what Far Cry has always been about?

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Announced
29. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Announced Mar 22, 2014, 12:46 Creston

peteham wrote on Mar 21, 2014, 17:09:
This game needs a run-button that doesn't double as CLIMB EVERYTHING IN SIGHT very, very badly.

*slow clap turning into raucous cheer.*

19. Re: etc., etc. Mar 22, 2014, 12:29 Creston

PropheT wrote on Mar 22, 2014, 01:57:
The smartest thing that creators can do right now, whether it's books or TV or games, is to not read internet feedback and just focus on their vision of what they want to create.

I categorically disagree with that. There might be something to that idea if every single bit of feedback was of absolutely no use, and that is simply not true.

Yes, there will always be trolls and will always be people that can do nothing but spew hate at whatever you've created. Those idiots are just angry at themselves for being miserable wastes of space that are unable to create anything, and make themselves feel temporarily better by lashing out at those that are actually doing what they wish they could be doing.

But that's a small number. Far larger are the number of people who give genuine feedback, whether it's good or bad. And that feedback is of huge benefit to creative people. You know what happens to people who never listen to feedback regarding what they've created? They become convinced that whatever they make is the absolute best thing ever, and then they release it, only to find out it's a giant fucking turd. See, for example, Elemental: War of Magic, or really anything released by Peter Moleyeyeneneneusuuxuxux in the last twenty years.

Part of the reason feedback got to be the way it has been is because content creators started reading that feedback and started trying to please everyone, which pleased no one and just made everyone bitter. More bitter.

That's a fault of the content creator, not of the feedback. Most content creators understand that you can never please everyone. As long as you please the large majority of your fans (or of your new audience), you've done well. Alternatively, you can attempt to piss almost everyone off, for whatever fucked-up reason, and if you succeed in doing that, you've also achieved your goal. This is more commonly known as the EA Protocol.

People are never happy, so just make your game and if you do it well it'll matter to the people it should matter to.

Huge generalizations ahoy!

If you never listen to feedback, how are you going to determine whether you made your game (or wrote your book, or painted your painting, etc) "well?" Judging solely by sales? There are a million factors that go into sales, and sadly "quality of product" isn't even the determining factor anymore. If you want to make your next game better than the previous one, you're going to HAVE to listen to feedback. Whether you listen to feedback from anonymous internet trolls, or people whose opinions you value is of course entirely up to you as the content creator, but shutting yourself off from feedback will pretty much guarantee that you're eventually left to give weird-ass interviews like Moleyeneneeeuuaasshxx.

Had Bioware never listened to the feedback on ME3, they wouldn't have actively gone and made it better. They wouldn't have released the Citadel DLC, which is probably the best DLC they've ever made (I personally think it's even better than Lair of the Shadowbroker.) And they might have had a hard time getting people excited for the next ME game.

I just really don't get why people seem to think that authors/creators/whatever listening to feedback and altering their content based on said feedback is something that's only come about since the dawn of the Internet age. Agathie Christie killed off Hercule Poirot, her fans had a collective fit, and she brought him back. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle killed of Sherlock Holmes, his fans practically caused a riot, and he brought Sherlock back.

Do you think Mozart and Beethoven never listened to feedback? Had they done so, they'd have quickly been out on the street without a penny to their names, no matter how incredible their musical genius. Poets and singers performed on the streets in the days of the Roman empire, and if they were terrible, they'd get pelted with rotten food. At least it made them go and try to become better at what they were doing.

Content exists to be appreciated by its target audience. If you ignore the target audience's comment on said content, you'll likely soon not be making content anymore.

Anyway, none of this has ANYTHING to do with Adam fucking Orth, who was a complete fucking nobody that nobody had ever even heard of, who tried to bring across a bullshit "This is how it's going to be, and you're all going to fucking LIKE it because we're MICROSOFT!" way of doing things.

And guess what? Feedback altered that entire story too. Watching Microsoft eat absolute shitloads of crow was the most deliciously entertaining story of 2013.

This comment was edited on Mar 22, 2014, 12:35.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
7. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 22, 2014, 01:31 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Mar 21, 2014, 20:22:
I don't mean to be skeptical, but does the XB1 have the horsepower to run a VR headset?

It already can't run 1080p at any kind of speed on your TV, and if I understand it correctly, for a VR headset it has to render two separate images, and preferably has to do so at >>60fps to stop people from getting nauseated?

So I'm going to guess that no, the Xbone won't be able to do decent VR. But trust MS to come out with a 640i VR headset and proclaim it the ultimate wave of the future.

7. Re: etc., etc. Mar 21, 2014, 21:53 Creston

Please for the love of God stop paying attention to that fucking moron.

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Rumor Extravaganza
8. Re: Far Cry 4 Rumor Extravaganza Mar 21, 2014, 21:50 Creston

Might be cool, but it's a pretty far cry (LULZ) from the settings of the previous three.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 April 2014 Feature Pack
12. Re: Guild Wars 2 April 2014 Feature Pack Mar 21, 2014, 18:44 Creston

Endo wrote on Mar 21, 2014, 15:41:
That lasted about a month, before I got fed up with the grind for ascended gear again

I don't understand why people are so focused on Ascended gear. The only place you actively NEED it is high level FotM. Which few people play anymore because they give shit-all in rewards.

In the rest of the game, Exotic is more than plenty powerful enough. (In fact, the difference between Exotic and Ascended armor is so minute it basically makes little to no difference in the large majority of fights you're in. )

Ascended weapons are a little better over Exotic than the armor is, but there are plenty of ways to actually get Ascended weapons. Sure, the drop rate is tiny, but it does drop. And you can get ascended rings and trinkets just about everywhere now. You can buy them with Laurels, with guild comms, with Honor badges, with Relics...

If you don't want to grind for Ascended stuff, then don't do it. My main only has ascended trinkets, and he runs through everything just fine. (The stuff that kills me would kill me in Ascended gear too.)

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 April 2014 Feature Pack
11. Re: Guild Wars 2 April 2014 Feature Pack Mar 21, 2014, 18:39 Creston

Muscular Beaver wrote on Mar 21, 2014, 04:02:
This game needs to be more casual. Not only are the people always getting a heart attack, if someone isnt exactly doing what they need to do, simply because they havent run the instance 5000 times yet, but they also have become extremely unfriendly since release, they dont even thank you anymore if you save their life. Sometimes worse than WoW players. They are really judging players by achievements points. If you dont have 5k+ points, youre a noob to them and they treat you like dirt. Maybe its different on the US servers, but on the EU servers this is normal. I have literally become sick of people and their disgusting elitism in this game.

Switch servers. None of that bullshit happens on Tarnished Coast. People thank you for ressing them. In fact, during the Scarlet Hologram battle, we'd often say at the start "Thanks to all for ressing everyone in the next 20 minutes!" just so people wouldn't waste time typing "ty" every 10 seconds.

I've run into several battles where some poor guy is getting slaughtered by two veterans, and he thanks me for saving his ass. So the population is definitely better on TC.

The only thing that reigns supreme on TC as well as everywhere else is people who want to do speedruns and bitch when someone doesn't have the right equipment or knows what to do. But then again, on the flipside, they DO say they're going to do a speedrun, so why are you joining them without being able to actually contribute to the speed run?

Seriously, switch servers. Playing on Tarnished Coast is awesome.

News Comments > Next CoD Sledgehammer's "Most Ambitious, Most Creative" Game
14. Re: Next CoD Sledgehammer's Mar 21, 2014, 18:32 Creston

nin wrote on Mar 21, 2014, 11:57:
Creston wrote on Mar 21, 2014, 11:52:
{dismissive}Wank wank wank wank wank.{/dismissive}

Maybe Frans can code that for you.

Or an emoticon? That'd be a riot!

A :-dismissivewank-: smiley would be the Best Thing Ever.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Announced
11. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Announced Mar 21, 2014, 15:54 Creston

Next gen only sounds promising, but let's be honest. Most everyone who liked Black Flag liked it because of the pirate stuff, not because there was an AC game shoved in there.

If this goes back to just being an AC game, it's probably going to be pretty disappointing...

Also, Ubisoft, for the love of God, GET RID OF THE FUCKING EAVESDROP MISSIONS. How many more times do I need to vote a fucking 1 star on those piece of shit cunt-ass missions???!!

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 21, 2014, 11:53 Creston

7 to 15 times? So Direct3D is actively destroying 700% of performance in games?

Somehow I find those claims fairly difficult to believe.

News Comments > Next CoD Sledgehammer's "Most Ambitious, Most Creative" Game
7. Re: Next CoD Sledgehammer's Mar 21, 2014, 11:52 Creston

{dismissive}Wank wank wank wank wank.{/dismissive}

News Comments > CryENGINE Subscriptions Announced
23. Re: CryENGINE Subscriptions Announced Mar 20, 2014, 21:55 Creston

Kosumo wrote on Mar 20, 2014, 16:12:
... makes a better "Star Citizen" game than Christ Roberts ...

I know his fanboys can be a little insane with praise, but let's not call the man Christ, okay?

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 20, 2014, 21:44 Creston

Stupid. Just stupid.

You've opened the floodgates, Netflix. Two years from now, those networks will mysteriously "congest" again, unless you pay an additional 10 bucks per subscriber per month.

And then two years after that, hey look, there's that mysterious network congestion again.

Idiots.

A few weeks ago, we agreed to pay Comcast and our members are now getting a good experience again."

REALLY? So Comcast's claim that it was just 'normal network congestion' can't be right then, because if it had been normal network congestion, more money wouldn't have simply fixed it.

So, like everyone knows, and like everyone said, Comcast was blatantly throttling your traffic, in blatant violation of net neutrality, the rules they swore to uphold until 2017 even if they were stricken down by court order.

But yeah, give in to extortionism. That always ends up really well.

22083 Comments. 1105 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo