Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 24218 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Game Reviews
13. Re: Game Reviews Nov 11, 2014, 17:50 Creston

Avoiding gamespot reviews paid advertisements is a smart suggestion, period.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > System Shock 2 Community Patch
14. Re: System Shock 2 Community Patch Nov 11, 2014, 17:48 Creston

Parias wrote on Nov 11, 2014, 12:51:
even after we cram too much crap into the elevator to the point of crashing the game between level loads and having to move everything out until we find which object is causing the problem.

Rotfl

That's awesome

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed Unity
35. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed Unity Nov 11, 2014, 17:18 Creston

Orogogus wrote on Nov 11, 2014, 16:18:
I think someone on this board mentioned how they purposely tone down accents in cases like this -- I think it was Ubisoft in particular. Like some voice actor or the other would use a much more American voice than his normal speaking voice, since people had trouble understanding and switched to subtitles (skipping all the spoken text). I'm sure this is something that's been thoroughly focus tested.

You want your voice actors to be understood, for sure, but the few cutscenes that I've seen feature exactly zero French accents. It shouldn't be that hard to get a guy to speak understandable English while at the same time having them sound as if they're at least from the country they're pretending to be.

They managed this just fine with Ezio, and the guy who did the VO was born in California.

11. Re: Game Reviews Nov 11, 2014, 17:03 Creston

PC Gamer review is also up. They gave it an 87, but they were of course burdened by the fact they shilled DA2 into a 94, and have been paying for it ever since.

No way they could give DA:I higher than they did DA2. But it does leave them with the humorous situation where they say a game is better than DA2, and they score it lower.

Btw, with regards to the MMO type fetch quests:

Fortunately, there’s plenty of substance too. The campaign’s story is gated by both the suggested experience level, and the Power cost of unlocking each mission. I was easily able to earn enough of both while focusing only on the most interesting objectives. As long as you’re exploring the world, righting wrongs and fighting hostiles, there’s no need to churn through the padding.

And with regards to the whole "you get hurriedly put in charge of the inquisition"

To counterbalance this, the main story missions are filled with tough, world-shifting decisions. They are, almost without exception, wonderful scenarios. Each mission is distinct, memorable, and significantly moves the story along. Initially, the forming of the Inquisition seemed hurried, and underwhelming because of it. After about 20 hours, that was revealed to be a deliberate move—through a sequence that entirely changed my perception of what the order was, and my character’s relationship to it.

So that all sounds promising.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2014, 16:40 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Nov 11, 2014, 14:19:
Wallshadows wrote on Nov 11, 2014, 13:06:
The days leading up to and including Remembrance Day is the only time of year when History channel is left on and watched good.

fixed.

US Top Gear laughs at you both.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2014, 16:39 Creston

Nothing to do with games or veterans day, but there is a really, really cool article about The Knowledge: the test required to become a London cab driver.

It's a massively long article (good 30 min read probably), but very interesting. I lived in London for six months, took a cab from time to time (not too often, as they're pretty expensive), and these guys know EVERYTHING. I gave one cab driver the street I wanted to go to, and he specifically asked which restaurant or club I was going to, so he'd know whether to intersect the street from the start or halfway up, because it'd be quicker. It's pretty cool.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
7. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 11, 2014, 12:33 Creston

Cutter wrote on Nov 11, 2014, 00:09:
Creston wrote on Nov 10, 2014, 20:44:
Dum dum zingyzingy dum dum zingyzingy dum dum zingyzingy!

Is that the Heston Blumenthal theme song?

Sly Fox

(with Adriana Lima bonus!)

7. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2014, 11:29 Creston

Here's to Veterans Day. Hope we never forget... Salute

19. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed Unity Nov 11, 2014, 11:27 Creston

Verno wrote on Nov 11, 2014, 11:09:
Creston wrote on Nov 11, 2014, 11:06:
Verno wrote on Nov 11, 2014, 09:12:
The game files have many references to Disrupt and AnvilNext so I wonder if its just a case of "we threw this together sloppily".

What is Disrupt and AnvilNext? Confused

Disrupt is the "new" engine they used for Watch Dogs and AnvilNext was the engine used for all AC games from AC3 onward (including this one). Maybe they just used the AI routines from Disrupt. The performance issues seem weird though given that AC4 ran so well.

Ah, okay, thanks for clearing that up. So it seems as if it's a cobbled-together engine then?

AC4 didn't run that well, to be honest...? I mean, it ran fine for me, but I have a reasonably beefy machine, and if I turned on their SSAO and TXAA implementations, my framerates plummeted to below 30.

News Comments > etc.
12. Re: etc. Nov 11, 2014, 11:25 Creston

nin wrote on Nov 11, 2014, 08:59:
And when he specifically asked for multiple examples in games that had a negative message towards gender, she basically spun her wheels, blurted out "grand theft auto" (aka media whipping boy) and then ignored his question and went on with her prepared statement.

Boy, raise hands all of you who are surprised... Nobody?

5. Re: Game Reviews Nov 11, 2014, 11:12 Creston

jomisab wrote on Nov 11, 2014, 10:00:
Much more psyched for DA:I now.

Kind of unusual for a publisher to allow a game to be reviewed (and for those reviews to be made public) so far in advance?

Yeah, but it's a good sign. It shows they have confidence in the game.

4. Re: Game Reviews Nov 11, 2014, 11:11 Creston

Verno wrote on Nov 11, 2014, 08:55:
Reviews look really solid for DA:I. Seems like the early game problems pan out after the 4 hour mark. I'll wait for a few user reviews before picking it up but looks good.

I've been watching several videos of people who all had the same complaints about that "first five hours" presentation they were given, but it was only the PC Gamer guys who mentioned that "We were shown basically zero of the main story."

It seems the game just kinda haphazardly chunks you in the middle of busywork alley, and it takes awhile to open up the main quests etc. Not saying that's a good decision by Bioware, but it does alleviate the worries that the entire games is just going to be "Go here and kill ten bears."

17. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed Unity Nov 11, 2014, 11:07 Creston

1badmf wrote on Nov 11, 2014, 09:52:
jomisab wrote on Nov 11, 2014, 09:16:
Personally, I don't like how they lay out all the chapters up-front, with only the first one being unlocked.

I'd rather just start the game and progress naturally without being aware of all the chunks ahead of me.

Doesn't exactly make it feel "open worldish", even though I certainly don't expect anything like a Skyrim or Fallout.

yeah i agree. makes the game feel less like a dynamic experience and more like a check list.

They've done that since the very first AC, so it's not exactly a surprise. If you just play the game it shouldn't really be too disruptive.

16. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed Unity Nov 11, 2014, 11:06 Creston

Verno wrote on Nov 11, 2014, 09:12:
The game files have many references to Disrupt and AnvilNext so I wonder if its just a case of "we threw this together sloppily".

What is Disrupt and AnvilNext? Blank

15. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed Unity Nov 11, 2014, 11:05 Creston

nin wrote on Nov 11, 2014, 09:01:
Heard the framerate was shit on ps4 as well.

Buyer beware.

Awesome. Good to see Ubi's "We embrace 30fps" mantra translates to "We can't get our engine to run better no matter the power thrown at it."

39. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2014, 23:05 Creston

Thanks for the feedback, Redmask.

I think maybe I'll wait to see if anything comes out of that rumor that MS is working on a new SKU.

3. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 10, 2014, 23:03 Creston

nin wrote on Nov 10, 2014, 21:43:
Creston wrote on Nov 10, 2014, 20:44:

Guess we're getting Sly Fox!

That song is awesome.

News Comments > New NVIDIA WHQL Drivers
7. Re: New NVIDIA WHQL Drivers Nov 10, 2014, 20:57 Creston

saluk wrote on Nov 10, 2014, 19:11:
Ouch. If it looks good enough to justify that performance, great.

Their SSAO and TXAA implementations look tremendous, but to me they weren't that awesome that I felt they were worth sacrificing ~25fps for.

37. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 10, 2014, 20:54 Creston

BobBob wrote on Nov 10, 2014, 20:51:
Creston wrote on Nov 10, 2014, 20:16:
Yeah it's irritating. I typically just download videos I want to watch, just to avoid the buffering. But when big game releases come out, it's always a question of "when can I start downloading?"

Have you checked out the local public library? Where I live the library has a gigantic selection of videos and carries all the new DVD and Blu-ray releases. Even if the library charges a rental fee, at least you are supporting the library.

Oh, I meant like Youtube videos. They're not really important enough for me to drive 30 miles to the library... I just buy whatever DVD/Blurays I want to watch, so it's no hassle. And the library doesn't have games.

I've sometimes thought about just lugging my desktop to the library to abuse their magnificent download speed though.

1. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 10, 2014, 20:44 Creston

24218 Comments. 1211 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo