Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 25287 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Cities: Skylines Soars
121. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 19, 2015, 16:43 Creston

Baristan wrote on Mar 19, 2015, 16:39:
Watch out putting too many water pumps on a river. You can end up reversing the flow, sucking sewage into the drinking supply.

LOL. Holy shit that would be terrible.

Commercial demand is really weird. The patch today definitely seems to have fixed the lack of demand I had, though, as it's now solidly in the middle of the bar, and stays there no matter how much I plant. (which makes sense, because it had been zero for roughly 15K people.)

And now they're all whining they've got nothing to sell... Sigh

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

119. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 19, 2015, 11:54 Creston

descender wrote on Mar 19, 2015, 02:50:
Creston - I got that "coffee filter" thing to work up to around 50k people, but something happened between 50-60k when I started redoing some areas of my town and it crashed down to about 20k people before it stabilized.

Of course it crashed while I was attempting to convert my city to... This... madness.

I haven't copied the exact thing verbatim (where's the fun in that?) but the main concept is alive and well in my city. One way in, One way out, split the "in's" with one way intersections through multiple levels before you actually get to a traffic light/stopsign so traffic doesn't even slow down until it's deep into the city, and the exit ramp is nested still deeper. This keeps traffic flowing in basically one direction in and through the industrial area. It's a little rough at first to get used to and plan out (and I nearly bankrupted/crashed my city doing it, turns out redistricting level3 zones is really painful for your budget if you aren't paying attention), but I've now adapted it to every sector of my city and I'm slowly re-growing (just back to about 40k now after a loooong session of fixing it).

Very interesting link, thanks. I practically had a heart attack when I saw the guy had traffic lights ON HIS FREEWAY EXIT, though. Yes, they work fine in the pictures he took, but if/when traffic expands, that will eventually overflow back onto the freeway at which point you're essentially fucked.

And yeah, I hate trying to rezone a part of a city. You grind up huge chunk of houses/industrial, but don't actually get the demand back. If you're not careful you can put yourself in a state where you have too few workers for the majority of your industry, with no demand for housing to bring new people in...

The city I'm doing now just has one grid with the 14K generating coffee filter in it, and about 10K people, and now I'm leaving that alone and building my actual city in the other grids. Once I've got 50K up there, I'll bulldoze the shit out of the coffee filter and redo it. Or maybe I'll just leave it, make it one giant zone and call it Cleveland...

City feeder - Create exit ramps with the "3L highway" pieces, not the exit/service ramp pieces. After ~2 segments (adjust for traffic density) convert directly to 6W1L and have the two ramps meet in a reverse-Y intersection (2 full segments of 6L1W seems to be needed just before the intersection so you don't have problems with lane switching). This alternates your incoming traffic via 12 lanes which is basically more than enough to clear the highway ramps and get the trucks into the city cleanly.

Hmmm, I can see it working in those gifs, but again, I'm wary of those traffic lights on the freeway exit ramp. Also, this is something he made after a major, MAJOR overhaul, since it's all 6 lane boulevards he's using. The cost of that industrial zone is probably 200K to make and 3K in maintenance a week. Nothing wrong with that, but you can't do it straight from the start, obviously. I was hoping the coffee filter thing could be upgraded as it expands. (To be honest, I've gotten it working again after some judicious footpathing, thanks to Quboid and Seph for explaining that. It's crazy how many people will just walk 10 miles to work!)

As for the 6 lane exits, when a single exit lane isn't enough, I tend to just ram freeway straight into the city. Ie, use normal freeway pieces for exit ramps. But I'll switch it around and see if the 6 lane pieces are faster/handle more traffic.

(I've also begun making every roundabout out of freeway pieces. Yeah, you lose the ability to zone next to it, but that roundabout is there to move traffic, not to have a giant mall created in it.)

I need to take some screenshots of what I've built at this point, it's nearly impossible to explain correctly :p

Please do

I have noticed that revamping the highways/ramps is basically a necessity. For starters, they are too close together and I do a lot of left-lane entrancing. Doing exit right-lane followed by entrance left-lane (or vice versa, obviously) seems to be the fastest method to handling highway ramps that I've found so far. If you exit/entrance in the same lane you will run into problems because the drivers seem to change lanes 50 miles before their destination in this game.

I didn't think about left lane entrancing, as I wasn't sure if it'd work or not. Thanks for the tip!

My favorite new thing for freeway overpasses/exits is the raised roundabout with inner merge lanes. I'd post a screenshot but the thread on reddit seems to be dead. (Or more likely, reddit's shitty servers conked out again.)

Stealing the concepts for these feeder/exit ramps I just linked has helped me tremendously. Unfortunately I seem to need to fudge them almost every time, so the time I've spent creating these things in the asset editor has been kind of a waste. I can create a complete highway junction in mere minutes now though, horay for practice.

Haha, that's so true. My first raised roundabout over a curved highway took me like an hour and a half to build before it looked good. Now I just grab the freeform tool and 30 seconds later, BAM!

It'd be nice if we could do those in the asset manager and then just plop them down, but the assets need dynamic support adjustments or road connecting for that. Right now they're just way too rigid to be of much use. I've got probably 15 different, GORGEOUS overpasses that I downloaded, and I basically never use them because they never fit. Or there's one tiny little sloped section and you get the "Slope too steep!" error. REALLY? There's a road going 47 degrees up a hill not 50 feet away, but this 4/10 of an inch height difference would break the freeway overpass? Okay... Angry

OK, maybe I'll actually sleep tonight. Maybe.

Sleep?? MOAR FREEWAYS! MOOOOAAARRRR!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2015, 01:16 Creston

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 18, 2015, 17:10:
Need some input Bluesers.

I have:

"1---Currently Playing" (pretty self-explanatory)
"A---Games to Replay" (Games I've already played but want to play again)
"B---To Be Played" (Games I haven't yet played. It's getting smaller...)
"X---Completely Finished" (Games I've finished and don't really want to replay.)
"Y---Boring" (Games I've not finished because they were boring.)
"Z---Packaged Crap" (Stuff I got in bundles that I really have no intention of ever playing.)
"Games" (The default one, where Steam throws all my new shiz. Once I've downloaded and backed them up, I put them in the appropriate category, which will either be "to be played" or "Currently playing.")

As for the 1, A, B, X, Y, Z, that's because Steam won't let you fucking rename a category, and I had a few mishaps in trying to organize the order in which the categories appeared, so I had to start a new bullet point list twice. And I refuse to delete an entire category just to recreate it with the right name, and then have to re-add 150 games to it.

I'm glad there's finally some organization to it, but for fuck's sake, Valve, is it that hard to allow me to rename the things? Can't one of you wheel your desk over to the "make Steam more useful" corner and work like ten fucking minutes on it?

News Comments > Newell on Half-Life
76. Re: Newell on Half-Life Mar 19, 2015, 01:08 Creston

PHJF wrote on Mar 19, 2015, 00:05:
Dude, games before dames.

Hmm, I dunno, dude. I saw pics of some dames once on the internet, and they looked pretty fun...

General Discussion > Cities Skyline Bluesnoobs
10. No subject Mar 19, 2015, 01:05 Creston

Kosumo wrote on Mar 16, 2015, 18:32:
About to start with mass transport (trains and the likes) any pointers?

Build it early, and build a LOT of it. But be careful that you don't make all the bus lines stop at the same stops. They will block traffic if they have to wait for one another, and it'll cause monstrous traffic jams. (I had one snarl go roughly 5 miles back on the highway...)

Also, make pedestrian walkways between your residential and work areas. Apparently cims are more than happy to walk 8 miles to work, and every one of them that walks is one fewer that takes a car.

Here's a cool little traffic guide.

He doesn't really give much in-depth info, but the pics are cool and can give some pointers.

117. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 18, 2015, 22:45 Creston

Cool little guide about traffic. (and dear God, look at that city... Drool )  

113. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 18, 2015, 16:48 Creston

Sepharo wrote on Mar 18, 2015, 01:29:
Yeah depending on how you lay your roads out the paths can be a big deal. If a guy can cut over the block or highway to get to work or the store then he doesn't have to drive all the way around. I've seen them walk a pretty long distance too, but you have to make sure it connects to a road or park. No landing the paths in center grassy areas that are otherwise surrounded by homes or they won't get used.

So essentially put footpaths through the middle of your residential sectors? I tend to do grids, so if I put a path through the middle of it, with a metro station at the border, maybe I can get people to walk... I'm going to give that a try. Thanks for the tips!

112. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 18, 2015, 16:47 Creston

Verno wrote on Mar 18, 2015, 16:31:
Any beginner tips before I dive in tonight?

I'd go with my finance tips posted earlier. They aren't strictly necessary, but they will make it a lot easier to weather the early parts of the game.

Traffic management is your absolute #1 priority. Without it, your city will simply start failing at 6-10K people and go into a long downward spiral from there. The coffee filter method posted below works pretty well, but it really is only effective until 10-15K or so. After that, traffic just swamps it.

One way roads are very helpful for managing traffic, but there seems to be a bug with the 6L1W road, in that it always creates traffic lights at every junction, no matter what. (whereas the 2L1W road does not, you can get it to just do stop signs almost everywhere.)

I'm honestly starting to think that the best way to build a large city is to create a small area somewhere, get it to 10K people or so, then use that finance base to start over elsewhere. Just leave the little city by itself, and build the real city on the next square or so. No matter what I try, I can never get that initial 10K thing to integrate well, it just gets drowned in traffic no matter what. Industry really creates way too much traffic in this game, imo. So I think you need to get to 7.5K to unlock offices, and then just do residential / offices / commercial in an 80-15-5 ratio or so in a different area.

Of course, right now there seems to be a bit of a bug with commercial demand, in that it just completely disappears for years and years on end. I think they're working on a patch for that. So any new area might not work because you can't get shops in the area for people to buy stuff at.

Just muck about for awhile. If you run into massive issues, just let us know, and we can probably figure out what's going on. (The game can do some strange stuff sometimes, but there's always an underlying reason for it, I've found.)

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 18, 2015, 14:57 Creston

LgFriess wrote on Mar 18, 2015, 09:46:
Well looks like it's finally time for a full new system build. Skylake, 390x/Nvidia equivalent, Windows 10, 21:9 monitors all hopefully being available this summer/fall.

I think I read not too long ago that Skylake was delayed until Q4 if not 2016...

49. Re: Newell on Half-Life Mar 18, 2015, 14:56 Creston

PHJF wrote on Mar 18, 2015, 13:24:
He's gotta be a direct relative to George R.R. Martin.

For that matter, have you ever seen the two of them in the same room together?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 18, 2015, 11:37 Creston

It will actually be winter in many of those 190 countries.

*snorts water all over keyboard*

Thanks, Blue.

29. Re: Newell on Half-Life Mar 18, 2015, 11:35 Creston

Translated: "Coming soon: Dota 2 HL TC!"

News Comments > Steam EU Refunds Now Available [Updated]
28. Re: Steam EU Refunds Now Available Mar 18, 2015, 11:31 Creston

as it sounds like part of the checkout process asks for prior consent to waive this right to finalize your purchase, so it sounds like actually playing a game ends the ability to return it.

I don't think that's what it's saying. It seems to say that they will ask you to waive the right to return during the checkout process, but such a waiver would seem to be voluntary. No idea why anyone would ever waive their right to return, but likely Valve just makes that an Opt-Out function rather than an Opt-In. (As in, it's checked by default, so you have to uncheck it. They know full well that the large majority of their customers just hit next next next next finish and never bother to read anything.)

In any case, good on the EU, and yay Valve for not doing this in the US... /SARCASM

109. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 18, 2015, 00:38 Creston

Interesting. I always thought foothpaths were just for decorative purposes, I didn't realize people would actually USE them. Thanks for the tips

As far as the landfills, okay, that's what I do too. Incinerators are far better than landfills.

I would leave a cemetery around, though, as apparently not all citizens want to use a crematorium. (No idea whether that's actually true or not, but that's what one of the devs said.)

107. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 18, 2015, 00:14 Creston

Quboid wrote on Mar 17, 2015, 23:52:
I only bother with sustainable industry - I built oil fields and my economy took a hit when they packed up. Likewise, I avoided graveyards and landfill because I don't want a problem to build up when I'm concentrating on resolving a traffic jam miles away.

You avoided landfills completely? Or you emptied your existing ones later and deleted them?

If I don't place a landfill within ~ 0.00000000000000002 seconds of unlocking Little Hamlet, everyone drowns in trash and leaves. It's like fucking Fenway Park in all my cities...

105. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 17, 2015, 23:41 Creston

Btw, they've now sold 500K!

Quboid, please explain about the footpaths. Do you mean you have pedestrian paths going to things like metro lines and such? Can't pedestrians automatically walk around in residential areas?

Here's where you can export your own height maps to play on. (import them into the map editor) Works like a charm. Lot of work to get the water to show up correct, though. (Read the readme included, it lists the elevated offset for the heightmap.)

This comment was edited on Mar 18, 2015, 00:12.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Where'd all the 112 year olds come from? Mar 17, 2015, 21:18 Creston

Well, from 1903, obviously!

News Comments > TITAN X Available
12. Re: TITAN X Available Mar 17, 2015, 21:17 Creston

and with double the memory

Really? Or is it "double" the memory?

News Comments > Into the Black
32. Re: Into the Black Mar 17, 2015, 18:35 Creston

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 17, 2015, 14:50:
And I think I could live with -40C .. but definitely not with +40C You ever experienced 100% humidity after a summer rain?

It gets above 40 degrees C (104F) fairly often here in the summer. We had 45 straight days of 100F+ in the summer of 2012. Yes, it's miserable, but you do eventually get used to it. (I'd hate to live without AC in it, though...)

I don't know that -40 C would ever be something a human body could get used to. I prefer being cold to hot as well, but to a certain point. - 40 is just agonizing.

News Comments > Into the Black
31. Re: Into the Black Mar 17, 2015, 18:31 Creston

Bodolza wrote on Mar 17, 2015, 12:41:
Both F and C are base-10.

I was referring to the non-use of the metric system in the US, not specifically Fahrenheit.

25287 Comments. 1265 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo