Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 25145 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 23, 2015, 17:59 Creston

Fantaz wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 16:51:
I might get a job at AMD (graphics)... so excited!!

Sweet! Good luck!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > NVIDIA GTX 970 Lawsuit
45. Re: NVIDIA GTX 970 Lawsuit Feb 23, 2015, 16:17 Creston

Shineyguy wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 15:58:
Creston wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 13:33:
NegaDeath wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 13:29:
I'm all for holding companies accountable but there's zero evidence of intentional false advertising here.

I don't think whether it was intentional has anything to do with it, it's still false advertising. And while everyone and sundry keeps going "Who the hell buys a card based on # of ROP?" that's beside the point. If you say your card has 64 ROP, it needs to have 64 ROP, not 56. If you say your card has 2MB of L2 cache, it needs to have 2MB of L2 cache, not 1.75.

Here's the thing though, it wasn't actually ADVERTISED as having those specs. That's just what nVidia was telling the review partners that those were the specs. On the acutal retail packaging none of that is mentioned, only the 4GB of VRAM, which it indeed has.

That's a fair point, but advertised doesn't just refer to actual advertisements, it also refers to stuff on the box. I'll have to check the box when I'm home to see what it says.

Edit: My box actually makes no mention of ROP or L2 cache, so that's a very fair point regarding the fact that they didn't advertise it. I guess it'd come to a judge ruling on whether numbers revealed to reviewers is considered to be advertising (I would say it is, but who knows what a judge will say.)

This comment was edited on Feb 23, 2015, 22:40.

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 23, 2015, 14:53 Creston

NegaDeath wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 14:07:
Creston wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 11:21:
?

I'm pretty sure the shut down is just that, a shut down. I've shut 8.1 down and pulled the power to open the case and mess around a bit inside, then when it comes back on, it boots at the same speed?

Windows 8+ uses a new mode called hybrid shutdown. It's like a partial powerless hibernate. When you force a classic cold start it takes longer to start, though it is still faster than 7 thanks to the more modern UEFI support.

Any day in which you learn something is a good one. Thanks

36. Re: NVIDIA GTX 970 Lawsuit Feb 23, 2015, 13:33 Creston

NegaDeath wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 13:29:
I'm all for holding companies accountable but there's zero evidence of intentional false advertising here.

I don't think whether it was intentional has anything to do with it, it's still false advertising. And while everyone and sundry keeps going "Who the hell buys a card based on # of ROP?" that's beside the point. If you say your card has 64 ROP, it needs to have 64 ROP, not 56. If you say your card has 2MB of L2 cache, it needs to have 2MB of L2 cache, not 1.75.

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 23, 2015, 13:11 Creston

DG wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 12:45:
Not sure what happens in Win8 but it is possible to suspend and unplug the power because some methods (basically) dump ram onto HDD and all it does on "boot" is put it back into RAM. Obviously your BIOS routines still run but the o/s doesn't load fresh.

That's possible. I'll try it by booting into safe mode, which shouldn't be possible from hibernate, afaik.

Speculating, but the keyboard thing might be a deliberate by MS to prevent USB payloads executing before the OS is fully loaded. a USB stick firmware can pretend to be a keyboard in order to bypass security restrictions. I'm guessing this because my kb started being delayed like yours around the time MS released updates targeting USB autorun exploits.

Hmmm, interesting. I didn't think about that. Makes sense.

News Comments > Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy
117. Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 23, 2015, 12:35 Creston

Sepharo wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 01:54:
Easy you just put a little tag in front the ship name [Heirloom] and everybody's good.

Giggle

28. Re: NVIDIA GTX 970 Lawsuit Feb 23, 2015, 12:33 Creston

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 12:23:

You might get a voucher for GTA6 Half Life 3 though!
Fixed

That'll be the world's longest lasting lawsuit then!

27. Re: NVIDIA GTX 970 Lawsuit Feb 23, 2015, 12:30 Creston

Talked with Amazon and though they didn't offer me a 20% discount (SAD FACE), they did authorize me for a full refund.

I doubt I'll take it, as the card so far destroys everything I throw at it, but it's excellent customer service. If you got one from Amazon and you're annoyed at this issue, you should be able to get a refund.

24. Re: NVIDIA GTX 970 Lawsuit Feb 23, 2015, 12:15 Creston

Xero wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 12:11:
YES! Free gaming voucher for GTA5=60 bucks worth, I'm game for that

I think you're being slightly optimistic as to how fast this class action lawsuit will come to fruition.

You might get a voucher for GTA6 though!

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 23, 2015, 11:57 Creston

Flatline wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 11:27:
Interesting link in the comment section in relation to that Adria Richards thing:

https://amandablumwords.wordpress.com/2013/03/21/3/

Apparently, getting offended, not telling anyone, and causing a huge shitstorm on the internet is her MO.

Adria Richards, judging by this article, is truly just a miserable piece of shit out to hurt other people. She didn't give a shit about the guy getting fired because he made a stupid joke to his buddy (Here's a fucking hint Internet, just because you heard a joke DOESN'T MEAN IT WAS FUCKING AIMED AT YOU.) but then when the tables are turned and SHE gets fired, omg, worst thing in the world, and it was the guy's fault. Her "I felt they were going to kill me or rape me" bullshit was just worthy of the world's biggest fucking eyeroll. Yeah, they're going to jump up and rape you RIGHT THERE in the midst of 2000 other white guys, all of whom are just going to stand around and be like "Hahahaha RAPE THAT BITCH!" Rolleyes

As for Lindsay Stone, I found that picture pretty damn offensive (No, you're not just being a douchebag in front of a sign. That sign means something. In essence, you're saying "Fuck everyone who died in military service.") Not everything can be turned into a joke. These are men and women who **died** in service to their country. They deserve respect, not to be turned into a fucking joke on your goddamn facebook page so you can get a few likes from the clowns who like your written diarrhea.

But she didn't deserve to get fired over it, nor have her life tarnished because of it.

Interesting article. The gist of it really is: Don't be on fucking Twitter, and don't post stupid bullshit on your Facebook page.

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 23, 2015, 11:21 Creston

wtf_man wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 10:34:
Flo wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 09:38:
I switched to Win 8 right away due to the faster boot times.
Who cares about a few colored tiles when you get SPEED.

The faster boot times are bullshit.
You aren't really shutting down fully by default... you are hibernating.

?

I'm pretty sure the shut down is just that, a shut down. I've shut 8.1 down and pulled the power to open the case and mess around a bit inside, then when it comes back on, it boots at the same speed?

It took my windows 7 install roughly 9 seconds from the time UEFI was done to boot to the CTRL+ALT+DEL screen, and in Windows 8.1 it's really no more than 4 seconds. (additionally, for whatever reason—my crappy motherboard / drivers most likely—it took another 5 to 10 seconds for Windows 7 to finally take my keyboard input so I could actually put in my pw, whereas in Win8.1 it's immediate.)

I would never recommend anyone upgrade for a 5 second boot difference, but it's definitely noticeable.

A full boot on either OS on an SSD is about the same. 8,8.1 is probably slightly faster, but negligible. Not enough for me to switch.

YMMV. It's possible my Win7 booted slow for some reason (though I got about the same boot times right after a fresh install versus a year down the road). But yeah, I wouldn't upgrade solely for that 5 second less boot time.

17. Re: NVIDIA GTX 970 Lawsuit Feb 23, 2015, 11:14 Creston

harlock wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 10:17:
havent had any trouble at all with my 970 - in fact it absolutely crushes every game i throw at it

but yeh, gimme some free money.. hell yeh

Oh yeah. The card is incredible, but there's no denying that Nvidia flat-out lied about this card. It'd be nice if they have to fork over 50 bucks to all their customers.

113. Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 22, 2015, 22:20 Creston

CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 22, 2015, 05:55:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 21, 2015, 20:51:
Creston wrote on Feb 21, 2015, 19:29:
I actually like the idea of being able to rent something in game, but why does it need a separate currency? Why not just an xx price in regular credits? Making it a separate currency seems needlessly complicated for what seems to be zero benefit.

Maybe so that you can either buy REC outright, or grind for it? That's a pretty common mechanism in most free to play games. Which is probably the reason a lot of people are complaining. It's a F2P mechanism in what is ostensibly a for-pay game. Maybe I'm misunderstanding though. Can you buy REC?

The actual currency of SC is called UEC. The REC are just an intermediate, temporary solution to (kind of) fulfill the promise that everything can be earned from playing the game and that you do not have to buy anything with real cash but the base game.
In the long term REC will go away and be replaced by purchasable UEC.
REC is quite clever from a business point of view. It allows CIG to monitor REC creation/generation and the "cash flow" so they can gain and collect some very important metrics for later on when they finally launch their here-to-stay UEC credit shop.

Ah, that makes more sense. I couldn't see why they'd introduce another currency just for rentals, but this explains it.

For them it's certainly a great balancing testbed to make sure that eventually people won't get rich too fast in the live game. They are going to want to make it a pain in the ass to grind for high end ships plus equipment so their cash shop remains a tempting shortcut alternative at all times for the non-masochists.

Yeah, that's definitely going to be a massive problem for them. They say that everything can be earned in game, but if you can earn a $2500 ship in a few weeks of play, those that paid cash for it are undoubtedly going to bitch. That balancing act is going to be nigh-impossible, I think. (after which they'll just make them impossible to get, I'd guess, or maybe they'll allow a used vehicle market, essentially turning those high price ship into the equivalent of limited edition supercars. Who's got my Huayra?!)

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
11. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 22, 2015, 22:15 Creston

Wizards of the Coast was the worst thing to ever happen to D&D. What an incredible bunch of fuckwallets.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 21, 2015, 19:31 Creston

Basebaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllllll!!!!  

48. Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 21, 2015, 19:29 Creston

I actually like the idea of being able to rent something in game, but why does it need a separate currency? Why not just an xx price in regular credits? Making it a separate currency seems needlessly complicated for what seems to be zero benefit.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 20, 2015, 22:39 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Feb 20, 2015, 18:24:
Creston wrote on Feb 20, 2015, 18:03:
Cost. Salt is insanely cheap. I'm sure that ground up non-toxic volcanic rock is better for the environment, but having to spray 40000000 tons of it on roadways would probably bankrupt a large city.
Meh, both have to be mined and processed. There probably isn't that much difference in cost.

Seen many active volcanos in the US lately, have you? Now guess how much salt we have lying around.

Know what else destroys cars? Sliding off the road into a ditch or gaurdrail, or sliding into the back of a semi. Not sure winter tires will help with that much, but chains probably would.

The ONLY thing that chains will help you with that winter tires wouldn't is if you're driving on pure ice, in which case I have to wonder why the hell you're driving at all. Other than that, winter tires will keep you perfectly safe on the road in snow/sleet/mix/whatever. You are seriously underestimating winter tires if you think people will still go sliding off into ditches. (not saying it's impossible, because people are dumbasses and will slide into ditches on perfectly dry roads as well, but winter tires essentially make it YOUR fault versus just losing grip.) This video is a nice example of how incredible they are in snow.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity PC Patch
6. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity PC Patch Feb 20, 2015, 22:36 Creston

Darks wrote on Feb 20, 2015, 21:40:
so, its the same bullshit as in Far Cry 4. I was dupped by my friend to buy this fricking game all because he thought the game had Full on Coop. Never Again Ubi!

Ubisoft is far down my favorite list right now, but they had mentioned dozens of times in previews that missions etc would be disabled in co-op, and that all you could do was conquer outposts and fortresses and the other random stuff you get up to in the world map. If you bought it specifically to play co-op missions, you really didn't do your homework...

17. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 20, 2015, 18:04 Creston

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Feb 20, 2015, 18:02:
Heads up to any GMG users here, I got a coupon code for 25% off of these titles:

Resident Evil Revelations 2, Mortal Kombat X, Batman Arkham Knight, Dying Light, Evolve and Cities Skylines.

The code is:

ELUQNU-MT01IO-O70A63

The wording on the e-mail is vague as to whether this is a one-time use code or account specific.. but I already spent my gaming allowance for the month so I figured I'd leave this here.

Have a good weekend folks.

Thanks man!

25145 Comments. 1258 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo