Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 25595 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Oculus Rift Controller & Xbox Partnership Announced
38. Re: Oculus Rift Controller & Xbox Partnership Announced Jun 12, 2015, 00:37 Creston

First Facebook, now Microsoft. Coming soon, Oculus will announce a partnership with Mountain Dew and Doritos, The Official Drink And Snack Of Oculus Rift! Chug Some GamerFuel In VR!

saying an Xbox One controller will be included with every Rift.

Awesome. If there's one thing Microsoft has learned well, it's that everyone just fucking LOVES IT if you include needless peripherals in packages that do nothing except jack up the price!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
32. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2015, 11:59 Creston

1badmf wrote on Jun 10, 2015, 18:10:
also, fuck the giants. good god, they keep finding ways to luck into wins way above their talent level and it's really fucking annoying, especially listening to their holier than thou fans.

Luck? They've won 3 of the last 5 world series. All through luck? They have by far the best farm system for pitchers. Luck?

Come on. My team's been on the receiving end of some gruelling losses against the Giants, and some of them have been lucky/unlucky and vice versa, but you're not consistently this good with just luck. This is what a team does when it has great, great, great pitching.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 11, 2015, 11:19 Creston

Collision avoidance technology DOESN'T WORK PROPERLY YET (consistently). Stop trying to cram it into every car to hide the fact that the average american driver pays ZERO FUCKING ATTENTION to the actual act of driving.

News Comments > Shadow Warrior 2 Teased
17. Re: Shadow Warrior 2 Teased Jun 11, 2015, 11:15 Creston

Shadow Warrior 2013 is actually a very fun shooter. On sale for 90% off, it's a no-brainer of a purchase for anyone that even remotely likes shooters.

Go buy it.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2015, 11:10 Creston

He was 93?? Holy crap on a cracker. I thought he was like 65 or something.

Thanks for all the great roles, Mr. Lee!

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Serious iOS bug. Jun 11, 2015, 10:53 Creston

The Fappening III is coming, it would seem.  

News Comments > Logitech's $400 Racing Wheel
9. Re: Logitech's $400 Racing Wheel Jun 11, 2015, 10:42 Creston

Looks like a pretty nice wheel. And flappy pedals!

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Jun 10, 2015, 13:20 Creston

Yeah, I understand why the industry is the way it is from the publishers' side. It works, so why fuck with it, right? But why do people let themselves be treated this way?

There can't be any human being who thinks it's right to work for 100+ hours a week and only see another reap the rewards from it. Well, let me rephrase that, there SHOULDN'T be any human being who thinks that.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 10, 2015, 12:02 Creston

PHJF wrote on Jun 10, 2015, 11:06:
Because god forbid you could simply drag-and-drop mp3s to your phone... fuck off, Apple.

"Drag and Drop? WHAT WIZARDRY IS THIS??! Did you know you can now subscribe to yet another one of our DRM-infested Streaming music sites?"

- Tim Cook.

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Jun 10, 2015, 11:53 Creston

Stress, the fact that it's a shitty job, for often shitty pay, the fact you have to deal with completely incompetent management (worse than in most other sectors), terrible, terrible hours, get fired after completing a project, need to move across the US for a new job, only to get fired again three months later, ad infinitum.

Unless you manage to score a job at Valve or Bioware or something, I genuinely do not understand why people keep working in the gaming industry. Doing what you love is one thing if it means you work with puppies all day. It's another thing entirely if you get used as a piece of human garbage so some cuntsack project manager at EA can get another bonus for churning out Need for Shit 28.

News Comments > Grey Goo Free DLC
3. Re: Grey Goo Free DLC Jun 10, 2015, 11:50 Creston

Frode wrote on Jun 10, 2015, 10:55:
or I somehow manage to play my way through my Steam backlog.

So optimistic are you.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 10, 2015, 09:47 Creston

Quality support by Apple there.

And Blue, the first rule of the Mets being in first place is that you don't talk about the Mets being in first place.

News Comments > Chris Avellone Leaves Obsidian
49. Re: Chris Avellone Leaves Obsidian Jun 10, 2015, 09:40 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Jun 9, 2015, 15:49:
jacobvandy wrote on Jun 9, 2015, 15:28:
Breaking even is plenty good enough when you're able to spend a few years making a living off of a passion project. That's a dream situation for anyone even remotely interested in their job as a game developer.

Still, I'm thinking they made a good chunk of profit. What makes you think they spent twice as much as they crowdfunded? Sorry, no, three times as much... $4.1 mil raised beforehand, plus more than $9 mil in sales, and you're saying they only broke even?

Because more than 100 people work at Obsidian, and you're burning through $1M per month easily with that many people. In the past 4 years they've made Pillars, Stick of Truth, and helped with Wasteland. If Pillars generated $12-13M in revenue for Obsidian between KS and post release sales, that's enough to fund them for a single year only. Stick of Truth sold well (1M+), but a lot of that revenue was sucked up by Ubi and Comedy Central. The old saw in game development is that you're only one bad release away from bankruptcy, so I wouldn't be surprised if they're putting all their hopes on Armored Warfare. I doubt they'd be going the free to play microtransaction action game route if their traditional revenue model was doing it for them.

Also, with no RPGs in the pipe, it's no surprise Chris is leaving. There's nothing for him to do on Armored Warfare.

Only about 15 of Obsidian's staff worked on PoE, not the entire studio. The rest was working on other projects. They said very early on that they couldn't afford to have the whole studio working on it off their KS funds.

So your analogy is a bit skewed, because they never expected to feed their entire studio from PoE, so to speak.

The sales on top of the 4M of KS'ed funds have easily helped them recoup all the money they spent on it, so where that's concerned, it can definitely be considered a success.

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Jun 10, 2015, 09:33 Creston

It was a lot of fun to see another horse win the Triple Crown, especially after the tragedy of Barbaro.

That said, seeing the Secretariat race again, it was just insane how dominant that horse was. I know Pharaoh came within 2 seconds of Secretariat's time, but I don't think it'd have been that close had they gone head to head.

Still, it was great to see again. Now Pharaoh can have a leisurely life of having sex.

News Comments > Mirror's Edge Catalyst Title Confirmed
13. Re: Mirror's Edge Catalyst Title Confirmed Jun 10, 2015, 09:29 Creston

gravity wrote on Jun 9, 2015, 21:59:
There's been massive numbers of attempts at 'PAR-KOOOOOR' as of late, but none have lived up to the levels that Mirrors Edge set. Maybe "Dying Light,"...... OK, yeah, Dying Light did respectable.

I know very few people here have played it, but Sunset Overdrive does great in its parkour/skate/grind implementation. It takes a long time to master, but eventually you can get around so freaking fast (while doing the most amazing combos) it's crazy.

News Comments > Mirror's Edge Catalyst Title Confirmed
12. Re: Mirror's Edge Catalyst Title Confirmed Jun 10, 2015, 09:27 Creston

I really liked the first one, so I have high hopes for this one.  

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Jun 9, 2015, 23:36 Creston

10 bucks for Heart of the Swarm seems like a pretty good deal.  

News Comments > Chris Avellone Leaves Obsidian
35. Re: Chris Avellone Leaves Obsidian Jun 9, 2015, 19:18 Creston

Hmm, I hope he stays in the game industry.

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Sells 4M
38. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Sells 4M Jun 9, 2015, 19:17 Creston

I'm glad for them. It looks to be an amazing game, and it's good to see it selling so well.

I'm curious what the split between platforms is, though.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
8. Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 8, 2015, 23:23 Creston

Hmmm...

"VTelís new 10 Gig residential Internet has been made possible by an $85 million VTel telephone network award from the US Department of Agricultureís Rural Utilities Service (RUS)

According to this story, they were already offering 1Gbps before they did this build-out, so the Feds gave Vtel 85 million dollars to upgrade 1Gbps customers to 10Gbps? Meanwhile, 30% of the US can't get 1Mbps connections and everyone refuses to service them?

Something seems off here.

25595 Comments. 1280 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo