Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
West Point, NE 02/20

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 24796 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Ken Levine's Sci-Fi PC Game Plans
9. Re: Ken Levine's Sci-Fi PC Game Plans Jan 27, 2015, 21:59 Creston

Squirmer wrote on Jan 27, 2015, 19:31:
The dude had a shot at System Shock and made Bioshock. Why do you want him involved?

I thought Bioshock was pretty awesome actually.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Crew Street Edition Pack DLC
1. Re: The Crew Street Edition Pack DLC Jan 27, 2015, 17:46 Creston

2015 Mustang FO LIFE!  

News Comments > Ken Levine's Sci-Fi PC Game Plans
1. Re: Ken Levine's Sci-Fi PC Game Plans Jan 27, 2015, 17:45 Creston

SYSTEM SHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCK!

please?

News Comments > Gearbox Recruiting for "Next Borderlands"
25. Re: Gearbox Recruiting for Jan 27, 2015, 16:34 Creston

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 14:18:
For some reason with gamers on forums, generally speaking, you aren't allowed to pump out a game in a series too fast, even if many others want more. Why? I don't know, that is just how they is. There needs to be this magical barrier of time which I find around 2-3 years before it is accepted by critics as "ok".

How many examples of shorter development time leading to worse sequels do you need? Because I can probably come up with a metric assload of them.

Here's two excellent ones: Dragon Age 2. KOTOR 2. Had they been given that "magical barrier of time", I doubt anyone would argue that both those games would have been a heckuva lot better.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
12. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 27, 2015, 15:47 Creston

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 22:45:
That includes that 512MB of VRAM being crippled, but still usable.

Technically it's not really crippled. Put it this way, the 980 has 8 memory pipelines which can each handle 512MB of memory, hence 4GB. The 970, in the typical "Well, it's the same card, but we have to justify the $200 increase on the 980 SOMEHOW!" fashion, only has 7 of those memory pipelines.

If they used the entire pool of 4GB memory all the time (ie, make it available), that means that one pipeline would effectively have to handle double the workload, meaning the card would constantly be slowed down. So instead they divided up the memory into two pools, a 3.5GB pool, handled by the 7 memory controllers, and one extra 0.5GB pool that only comes into play when it's absolutely necessary. If and when it does, it does cause some extra slowdowns, but in 99% of your average gaming, you'll never notice it.

I'll argue all day that they were stupid to remove that memory pipeline, but other than that it seems like a reasonably smart engineering solution. I've yet to play a game that used all 4GB of my VRAM, and it doesn't look like there's much on the horizon that will use it.

So yes, compared to the 980, sure, there's something going on. That being that it's a 200 dollars cheaper card and yet people seem to expect it to perform like the 980 anyway?

I do think that Nvidia should have been upfront about this, though. It sucks to have to learn about this through a few entepreneurial fellas fiddling with some benchmark tools.

News Comments > Dying Light Dawns
13. Re: Dying Light Dawns Jan 27, 2015, 15:37 Creston

jomisab wrote on Jan 27, 2015, 14:30:
They also said that gamers just have to stop all the pre-ordering. We only have ourselves to blame for games being released half-assed.

Yep.

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Hurk DLC Released
1. Re: Far Cry 4 Hurk DLC Released Jan 27, 2015, 11:30 Creston

"Buy it now, we'll revoke it tomorrow!"  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 27, 2015, 11:23 Creston

"Sir! Sir! Wikileaks is furious at us!"

"Who?"

News Comments > The Witcher III Video; Previews
20. Re: The Witcher III Video; Previews Jan 27, 2015, 10:30 Creston

Gorgeous. Not sure if this was the PC version, as it doesn't look as good as some of the screenshots I've seen. Might've been the bone version.

I do agree with the comment about the wooden faces, they really could have done some work in the animation there (especially since all the other animation looks so good. Finally another game with a good horse riding animation!)

News Comments > Dying Light Launch Trailer
10. Re: Dying Light Launch Trailer Jan 27, 2015, 10:14 Creston

Tim1_2 wrote on Jan 27, 2015, 08:08:
bigspender wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 20:57:
Trailer looks great but no reviews? Suspicious.

Allegedly they "forgot" to send review copies.

Well, I guess I'll "forget" to buy this then.

News Comments > Homeworld Remastered Collection Next Month
20. Re: Homeworld Remastered Collection Next Month Jan 26, 2015, 12:28 Creston

DarkCntry wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 11:16:
Creston wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 11:14:
Hmmm, it looks nicer, but honestly nowhere near as nice as I was expecting/hoping. I guess they wanted to make sure to keep the art style, but I really wanted it to look just eye-poppingly brilliant.

I'll still pick it up, IF the price is right. But seeing how long Gearbox worked on this, I'm worried this is going to cost $40 at minimum.

Sub-$30 on Steam right now with a 15% discount. Regularly it's $35.

I didn't think to check. Thanks

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2015, 11:31 Creston

shihonage wrote on Jan 25, 2015, 23:31:
ll in all, however, I quickly got lost and trapped in an initial area, and I have a feeling that it's waiting for me to do one of its boring single-player story missions to direct me further.

Nah, you can always just go to a different zone. One of the things GW2 doesn't do well and doesn't really explain well, though, is that it's easy to get outleveled if you follow a single race's zone progression. If you started human, the starting zone is 1-15, and the next one is 15-25 (IIRC). But the area in it that's level 15 is really damn small, and it quickly ramps up to like 17-18, and you'll be lucky to be level 12/13ish when you've done the entire opening zone, and the whole thing turns into a massive, massive slog in a hurry.

So just take a gate to Lion's Arch, and then go to another race's home city and to their newb zone. Do that for awhile until you've leveled up to like 18-19 or so, then go do a 15-25 zone. You'll be much happier.

As for the SP storylines, you can easily skip them. Some of the missions are cool, but most of them are just varieties of "Go here, fight absurd amounts of enemies, then watch cutscene." repeated three or four times a mission. The only good thing about them is that they give massive chunks of XP. (If you do them near the appropriate level, you easily get a level's worth of XP out of them.)

News Comments > Dying Light Steam Preloads
17. Re: Dying Light Steam Preloads Jan 26, 2015, 11:22 Creston

harlock wrote on Jan 25, 2015, 20:05:
i was watching the twitch stream and the first person melee in this (vs humans) looks pretty damn well done

yeh im a bit excited for this game, which snuck up on me

Are you gonna get it day one, harlock?

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2015, 11:19 Creston

I remember the last time they were predicting massive snow in Oklahoma. They started at 2", then it went to 4", then 8", and several days later they were basically on TV screaming "IT'LL BE A NEW ICE AGE! WE'RE ALL GOING TO BE BURIED UNDER MOUNTAINS OF SNOW AND ICE! SAY GOODBYE TO YOUR LOVED ONES!"

We got roughly 0.000001 inches. It was amusing to see the weather guys come back that next night and look pretty sheepish.

In any case, hope you don't get buried under a glacier, Blue!

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 26, 2015, 11:17 Creston

wtf_man wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 10:01:
Hands-on With Windows 10ís Preview Build 9926...

I've been playing with Windows Server(10) and may go that route for my next OS, in a Workstation capacity.

~ There's no Metro Tiles or Apps. (So Far)
~ There's no Bing Search (IE is locked down as usual... probably would install FF anyway)
~ There's no Stupid Cortana
~ There's no Sky Drive Cloud shit
~ There's no trying to force people to logon with a live account out of the box.

Seeing how some folks have used 2008 R2 and 2012 R2 successfully for their gaming rigs... I don't see why the new Server OS wouldn't work.

You know, I never even thought about that. Isn't Server more performance hungry, though?

News Comments > Gearbox Recruiting for "Next Borderlands"
3. Re: Gearbox Recruiting for Jan 26, 2015, 11:15 Creston

Gearbox, please shake up the character formula a bit. Give characters 3 actions skills, rather than one, for example. Make it a bit different.

Other than that, excited to see what they're doing next. I got plenty of great enjoyment out of BL2.

News Comments > Homeworld Remastered Collection Next Month
14. Re: Homeworld Remastered Collection Next Month Jan 26, 2015, 11:14 Creston

Hmmm, it looks nicer, but honestly nowhere near as nice as I was expecting/hoping. I guess they wanted to make sure to keep the art style, but I really wanted it to look just eye-poppingly brilliant.

I'll still pick it up, IF the price is right. But seeing how long Gearbox worked on this, I'm worried this is going to cost $40 at minimum.

News Comments > The Bard's Tale IV Announced
29. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Announced Jan 25, 2015, 22:48 Creston

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Jan 25, 2015, 11:32:
Can anyone say where Skara Brae originated? I find it strange that this is a significant location in Ultima and Bard's Tale. I assume it originated in Bard's Tale as Lord British pretty much just took everything he was interested in at the time and jammed it into Ultima.

It's an old (pre-historic?) village in Scotland.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2015, 22:13 Creston

Redmask wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 09:01:
'Miata'

'Are you gay?'

My brother drives one, hes married and inherited the car but gets that from everyone at work.

Does he get called gay because he calls it a Miata, or gay because he owns one? If the first, they're idiots, because it's called an MX5 in Europe/Asia and a Miata here.

If it's the second one they're even more crazy, as a Miata is an awesomely fun car to drive. It's probably the absolute best cheap track car you can get for pure fun in driving.

News Comments > Star Citizen at $70M; New Arena Commander Patch
10. Re: Star Citizen at $70M; New Arena Commander Patch Jan 24, 2015, 22:07 Creston

"Money is really not important to us. Here's another Limited Ship Sale."

24796 Comments. 1240 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo