Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 25709 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Trial
3. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Trial Jul 15, 2015, 09:45 Creston

Verno wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 09:36:
It's a shame the secondary content in the game is such a chore because the main story and companion stuff was pretty fun. I thought the score was pretty good too. Artwork and zone design was excellent overall, though the back tracking can get a bit obnoxious in places like The Western Approach. They just have to get out of this weird hybrid RPG business, either make an action game or make a pure RPG again. Origins wasn't perfect, it needed iteration and improvement on its subsystems.

Yeah, I'm not sure why they are so insistent on making DA and ME essentially the same game.

This weird idea they have to chase the bro demographic clearly isn't working, EA won't even disclose DA:I sales which is never a good sign.

A Bioware dev said on their forum that it was their best-selling DA title by far, so I'm guessing they're pretty happy with it.

Anyways theres more good than bad here but with The Witcher 3 out its hard to make a case for playing this any time soon.

It probably can't touch the Witcher, but it's still a very good RPG. It's got a very nice crafting system, decent difficulty if you're willing to play on the hardest setting, solid combat and like you said, some very good storylines and companions.

All in all, I'd recommend it to fans of RPGs.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
23. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 14, 2015, 16:51 Creston

Man, that earthquake thing sounds scary as shit...

News Comments > Op Ed
51. Re: Op Ed Jul 14, 2015, 16:46 Creston

Tumbler wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 16:31:
But is it technically possible to merge Elite and call of duty so it's one "game" assuming you had 64gb of ram to use? Does it just boil down to need an absurd amount of ram? Not clear how the 4gb of vram is used, would that be a bottleneck if a game that used a 50gb foot print in the ram could only load 4gb at a time into VRAM? (even considering these sizes sounds hilarious, the load times...think of the load times!)

Well, I mean, it works for Battlefield, sort of, but still, planes in battlefield are kind of a joke. We also saw sort of an interesting open world implementation in Black Flag where you took control of a vessel in real time and controls switched pretty smoothly and you took off.

SC is promising stuff of a magnitude better than Battlefield and Black Flag, and I just don't think it'll ever work. The controls in both those games are still pretty similar between on foot and vessels. In SC, the spaceship (AFAIK) fly according to newtonian physics, so are they going to have the FPS work according to newtonian physics too?

Then it's a matter of scale. If you separate the two out, you can do some shenanigans and make it seem as if the spaceships are going at massive velocities when in reality they're just going pretty darn slow through the level. If everything all runs simultaneously in the same world space, you'd need levels of a size beyond anything we've ever seen before. 64 Gigs of RAM wouldn't begin to cover the required memory footprint. And then the processing power to keep it all working without wonking out... I just don't see it.

The very fact they're developing everything in modules also screams that it's going to just load from one module into another. So sure, you might actually even drop off a boarding pod with your buddies in it from your multi-crewed spaceship, but the second they initiate boarding, they load into a completely separate worldspace and are completely separated from your personal playing experience.

Caveat: I am in no way, shape or form a developer.

News Comments > No Star Wars Battlefront Split Screen on PC
36. Re: No Star Wars Battlefront Split Screen on PC Jul 14, 2015, 16:18 Creston

Oh noes?

Is there much demand for splitscreen play on PCs anymore?

News Comments > Op Ed
43. Re: Blizzard's Overwatch Hits TM Snag Jul 14, 2015, 16:16 Creston

Kxmode wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 16:14:
Creston wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 16:08:
I've often wondered why no backers ever complained about Chris Roberts putting studios in every corner of the world, then flying up and down to see them all constantly. Because all those tickets come straight out of the funds people paid to get a better game.

Now there are accusations that he's been flying on a PRIVATE JET? Holy shit...

That *might* be a private jet from his Hollywood days. Let's not stoop to shallow and pedantic gossip.

Cost of flying somewhere on a private jet >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> cost of flying somewhere on Delta.

So, if true, he's spending money like water double needlessly. (because why is he flying out to every studio all the time anyway? Has he never heard of Skype?)

News Comments > Op Ed
40. Re: Op Ed Jul 14, 2015, 16:13 Creston

Tumbler wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 16:01:
you would need a custom engine built to scale assets and content in an intelligent way, to go from space to planetside, to close quarters, etc... like dsmarts projects (except ideally it would be good, playable, logical, etc instead) ... dsmart had the right concepts, he just utterly failed to execute in any meaningful way - so he is somewhat qualified to comment... failures gotta stick together i guess

I've been giving some of the technical side of things some thought lately and the main issue I keep coming to is how big of a memory foot print can a game realistically use and be stable? Does any game currently run at higher than 4gb? Even if you require a computer with 4gb you need to leave some alone to run the os and what not so games on pc might typically use at most 3gb. If a game requires 8gb to play then maybe it's up to 4gb+ of stuff loaded into memory.

The level of fidelity that some users think they're going for, allowing you to have a full space sim running at the same time you have fps combat happening on space stations and even inside ships is beyond what anyone has tried to do.

I think it's more likely they'll have a FPS game and a space game and the two shall never meet. (They've said they're going to allow boarding of other ships in space combat and what not but I think we'll probably see a lower level of fidelity there as you're still in the space side, it won't be what you might see on a space station loaded seperately) The same way you load into the hanger right now, that will be planet side maps, space stations, fps combat, etc. When you get into your ship and want to leave you have to wait while it loads into the space side.

A lot of fans seem to think that is all going to be in one "game" by the end of development and it probably is possible for a super computer to run all that in one space but for most users their computer simply wont' be able to load assets into memory fast enough to keep up unless you just load it all before you start playing...but that would have to be in the neighborhood of 16-32gb of memory being used only for the game. (Possibly even more)

I've never heard of a game going that large. Ignoring the fact that very few people have enough ram to support that is it even stable when you get that large?

And if you're running a game that large in memory what kinds of issues would happen when it's trying to load that info into the VRAM on the video card?

Assuming someone has 64gb of ram on their pc, and creates a ramdisk where SC is installed, is a 32gb game even possible in any engine?

Anyone who thinks that the space dogfight module and the FPS module are going to run concurrently in real-time needs to email me quick, because I have some prime land opportunities for them in Fukushima.

If it ever comes out, I'm sure the game will allow you to dogfight in space, and, after a significant loading screen, will allow you to play an FPS, possibly with the same looking character. And that'll be it.

You're not going to dogfight your way next to a capship, fire a boarding capsule at it, then have three of your crew fight through the ship at the same time as you're dogfighting outside, and then somehow be able to interact with one another. (Ie, the boarding crew taking over a turret and shooting bogies off your ass.) It just isn't happening. Your buddies can probably be doing an FPS part while you are dogfighting, but for all intents and purposes as to how the actions in both modules affect one another, it'll be as if they're playing Call of Duty while you're playing Elite. It'll have no effect on each other.

News Comments > Op Ed
39. Re: Op Ed Jul 14, 2015, 16:08 Creston

I've often wondered why no backers ever complained about Chris Roberts putting studios in every corner of the world, then flying up and down to see them all constantly. Because all those tickets come straight out of the funds people paid to get a better game.

Now there are accusations that he's been flying on a PRIVATE JET? Holy shit...

News Comments > CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns
156. removed Jul 13, 2015, 19:47 Creston

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jul 14, 2015, 07:26.

News Comments > R.I.P.: Nintendo's Satoru Iwata
23. Re: R.I.P.: Nintendo's Satoru Iwata Jul 13, 2015, 19:41 Creston

Sad to hear. Best wishes to his family.

101. Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 10, 2015, 01:18 Creston

Vall Forran wrote on Jul 9, 2015, 17:31:

And you wonder why devs think of us as wet shit.

Yeah, if people gave me 85 million dollars to just kinda fuck around and fly across the world four times a month, I'd think they were wet shit too. Rolleyes

In normal game relations, it's already fucking retarded that devs consider their CUSTOMERS (ie, the ones who pay their fucking rent) as wet shit, but in the case of crowdfunding??

News Comments > GOG.com's Windows 10 Support
41. Re: GOG.com's Windows 10 Support Jul 9, 2015, 15:18 Creston

Verno wrote on Jul 9, 2015, 14:34:
Pretty much every organization I've been with (except for this one thankfully) is exactly that strict, if not more so. Sarbanes–Oxley has made life in IT much more complicated. I can't imagine any IT guys here letting us introduce that kind of security hole into the network.

The fact I've been working in the IT equivalent of pirate ships may have slightly skewed my perception.

12. Re: Blizzard's Overwatch Hits TM Snag Jul 9, 2015, 13:13 Creston

Kxmode wrote on Jul 9, 2015, 12:17:
Creston wrote on Jul 9, 2015, 10:25:
Alrighty, time for me to bite the bullet on the Witcher 3. Can someone with the GOG version explain to me how their patching works? Is it still download and apply individual patches? If so, I may go for the Steam version, as much as I'd rather get it from GOG to get them the most money.

Hi Creston. Get Galaxy. It's Gog's version of Steam so the process of patching and downloading DLCs should be automated. I honestly prefer Steam since most of my games are on that platform, but Galaxy is a great alternative.

Thank you.

News Comments > Into the Stars Early Access
2. Re: Into the Stars Early Access Jul 9, 2015, 13:11 Creston

It's pretty. I'll be interested in this if it ever reaches an actual release state.

43. Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 9, 2015, 13:05 Creston

SlimRam wrote on Jul 9, 2015, 11:57:
Blue, with the apparent return of Derek to the fold, it might be time for a partnership of sorts with him. What I mean is that maybe he could do a piece every so often for your page and it would be the thoughts from a developer on whatever current "scandalous" type happenings going on in the world of video game development. It could be called Overdeveloped with Derek Smart and I think it could be HUGE! Of course you would have to deal with the constant ego maniacal self stroking and occasional mini flame wars that may erupt but think of influx of visitors to the site! I mean hell, people would show up JUST to take pot shots at Derek! It's got WIN written all over it! Just think about it guys...this could be something magical, nausea inducing, and god forbid, even enlightening!

That's ALMOST as good an idea as your Space Burrito / Cleaner Shack.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Rocket League PS4 overheating. Jul 9, 2015, 11:55 Creston

Maybe you should have taken it seriously enough to actually spend 10 minutes TESTING your game?  

News Comments > GOG.com's Windows 10 Support
39. Re: GOG.com's Windows 10 Support Jul 9, 2015, 11:47 Creston

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jul 8, 2015, 23:40:
Sepharo wrote on Jul 8, 2015, 23:06:
If you guys aren't installinglassic shell on your...Server 2012 you're crazy.

"Hey, boss. Can I install a third party application on our Windows Server based servers from an untrusted vendor*?"

"Does it meet compliance**?"

"Well, no."

"Get out of my office. I'll have someone bring you a box so that you can clear out your desk."

*Trusted vendors (MS, RHEL, VMWare, Cisco, etc) are a huge deal in large enterprise environments. Anything that could possibly lower uptime and stability are huge no-noes.

**Compliance is also another big deal. This means that all of your servers follow a procedure for racking all the way to deployment. Usually, any deviation from that has to have a justifiable BUC (Business Use Case). "It makes it pretty" is not even close to a justifiable BUC.

I've worked in 17 different IT environments (lots of contract work), and I've only ever come across 1 shop where shit was this strict, to be honest.

In most of them it's more of a "Man, Metro really annoys me on this server, can't we put classic shell on it?"
"Why? You're in server manager or powershell all day anyway. So no."

The system architect I work with now would be cruel enough to just turn the server into Server Core if I asked him if I could install classic shell. "You suck at powershell anyway. NOW FUCKING LEARN!"

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 9, 2015, 11:30 Creston

I would much rather buy it through GOG, but their handling of patches has been really rather poor in the past (it'd take days for patches to show up, though I imagine that wouldn't be such an issue with their own game, incremental patching etc.)

I just don't have the patience to deal with that shit anymore. But if this goes through Galaxy and Galaxy patches it up, then that's fine. I already have a shitload of these clients, what's one more.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
12. Re: Evening Interviews Jul 9, 2015, 10:49 Creston

Here's what I learned from your recent treatment of PC Gamers: That your games are no longer worth more than 5 bucks.

5. Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 9, 2015, 10:28 Creston

Well duh. What else are they going to say. "Everyone is right, we're burning through cash way too fast, and unless we find someone with another 100 million dollars, we'll be broke in six months, the game will crash and burn, and you'll all have nothing to show for the thousands of bucks you've given us."

I mean, get real. If they admit to any problems, people stop buying ships, and people buying ships is what pays their salaries.

Edit: Not making any judgments on whether they actually are in trouble or not, since I have no way of knowing, but even if they genuinely WERE in trouble, they'd obviously lie their asses off about it.

This comment was edited on Jul 9, 2015, 10:56.

1. Witcher 3 Jul 9, 2015, 10:25 Creston

Alrighty, time for me to bite the bullet on the Witcher 3. Can someone with the GOG version explain to me how their patching works? Is it still download and apply individual patches? If so, I may go for the Steam version, as much as I'd rather get it from GOG to get them the most money.

Thanks

25709 Comments. 1286 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo