Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 24245 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
6. Re: Saturday Consolidation Nov 15, 2014, 21:57 Creston

Yosemite Sam wrote on Nov 15, 2014, 20:54:
Got a message from Sony yesterday. Black friday deal, 500 Gig PS4, GTA5, Last of Us $399.

If true, that's a pretty sweet deal. Sony's got to do something, as MS's current promotions are damn good.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Preloads
20. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Preloads Nov 15, 2014, 00:53 Creston

Paranoid Jack wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 23:39:
Damn you all! Between the coverage here and the recent video reviews I couldn't help myself. I got caught up in the hype.

I feel badly about this weakness of mine... yet I caved and bought the game on Origins. Something I had sworn never to do. After they wiped my BF3 account. Even though the agent made it up to me in a big way a month or two later. He gave me three games if I remember correctly. On Origin of course.

I'm preloading and hoping that is 9pm east coast time?

I think it's Pacific. It releases at midnight EST, I'm pretty sure.

News Comments > Cinemaware Anthology: 1986-1991 Released
17. Re: Cinemaware Anthology: 1986-1991 Released Nov 15, 2014, 00:49 Creston

Emu seems to work fine. Can't tell a difference between my memory of the games and how they play today.

Note that they have both the PC and Amiga versions, and the PC versions are just awful. The Amiga versions, though, are just like you're playing them on the Amiga.

(now I want someone to re-release the Amiga version of Paradroid 90. Now THAT was a fucking awesome game. How it's never had a modern remake yet is beyond me.)

15. Re: Cinemaware Anthology: 1986-1991 Released Nov 14, 2014, 23:58 Creston

harlock wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 23:12:
Creston wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 22:13:
harlock wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 20:47:
anyone remember those bad ass "sex scenes" from Sinbad??

AWWWW YEH

About the only thing I remember from Sinbad is the sword fights with a freaking tiger or something...

haha you can find anything on youtube these days... it starts at 3:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0RK2CcpJCQ

Woah, steamy!

Played the games for a bit. Do NOT play the PC versions, as they are absolutely terrible. The Amiga versions are basically as you remember them. Damn, these games are hard, btw. Got flatout murdered as the King of Chicago before I could take over from the old man, and in three games of Defender of the Crown I keep getting my ass handed to me by guys with armies 16 times the size of mine.

I used to be really fucking good at Cinemaware games...

12. Re: Cinemaware Anthology: 1986-1991 Released Nov 14, 2014, 22:41 Creston

Steam currently has it for 15% off, so it's 8.50.

Entire collection is 238MB. Lol. The Dragon Age Inquisition SOUND TRACK is three times that size.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
24. Re: Things IT people never say Nov 14, 2014, 22:38 Creston

1badmf wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 19:49:
wow. did like, all the HDDs die simultaneously? what kinda hardware failure could delete all the data spread across a network?

If you've got it all on one SAN and it fries, I could maybe see that happening. Or a terribly wrongly configured cluster or something, but it takes some doing to lose EVERYTHING. More likely they didn't actually lose all the data, but they just can't get that data they still have back up in such a way that it's actually accessible. They probably have reams of drives filled with data, and have no idea how to reconfigure their DR environment to read it. (should we do that beforehand? NAH!)

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
23. Re: Things IT people never say Nov 14, 2014, 22:33 Creston

Prez wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 15:57:
My only wish is that they just not cap the framerate on the PC version. We are just going to remove the cap anyway via a tweak or fix anyway.

A personal anectodote about IT - throught the years of being here I've been able to determine who is or has been in IT here, and you guys are pretty smart. So why is it the IT department at my place are some of the most incompetent buffoons I've ever worked with? After 14 years I have lost count of the number of times they have done just facepalmingly stupid things that have made my job more difficult, and in October of this year they performed their best trick of stupidity yet by losing 100% of the data on the plant intranet LAN servers (despite it supposedly being automatically backed up every night) due to "a hardware failure". All of the hundreds of thousands of spare parts catalogued in SAP? GONE. Tens of thousands of archived work orders? GONE. 2 decades worth of job instructions on work procedures for intricately complicated and vital maintenance jobs? GONE. 8-years worth of NFPA and OSHA-mandated records of critical electrical power distribution maintenance and testing (that I performed and for which I am responsible)? Fucking GONE! Way to go IT Department! Jolly good show! Clap

IT PEOPLE are smart, or at least can be (and even then you have to get the support guys or the server guys, etc. Most of the rest is dumb as a post.) IT DEPARTMENTS? They are the dumbest fucking motherfuckers on the planet when taken as a whole, and you combine that with their general unwillingness to help, their flat-out refusal to look even a millionth of an inch outside of their own little corner of IT, general lack of social skills, refuse to do a shit's worth of work or take any responsibility for anything, and you typically have departments full of jackasses that nobody would ever want to work with.

My wife's IT department at her school is so comically inept that she and her colleagues have just given up on reporting problems to them, and instead she just calls me. Essentially I keep that entire school running. OVER THE PHONE.

It's pretty staggering how shitty IT is (or can be. There are a few good departments here and there.) Sometimes I think to myself that I really need to get out of it, but then I realize that this is what I've done for nearly 22 years, and it's about the only thing I CAN do, and it's definitely the only thing that pays me the kind of salary I now get, so... I guess I'll put up with it for another 22 years.

But yeah, your IT department losing all that data is pretty spectacular.

"Hey fellas, should we ever restore a backup to see if it's actually working?"
"NAH!"

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Nov 14, 2014, 22:22 Creston

Eh, it's news. I find it pretty interesting that the guy went back after his little bitch temper tantrum.

He's still fucked though, as I'm fairly certain Valve isn't even going to bother to reply to anything from their shitty company ever again, so good luck selling your indie games without Steam, fellas!

14. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Preloads Nov 14, 2014, 22:20 Creston

Frijoles wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 21:52:
1badmf wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 21:01:
is it just one big file that you copy over to another machine and dump in the same directory?

I did this with Mass Effect 3 a few days ago. Download the game wherever, open the Origin Games folder and you should see the new game. Copy it to a flash (consider zipping it first) and move it to the other computer. Tell Origin to download the game on the new computer. After it starts going, stop the download and close Origin. Rename or delete the folder it created. Copy your game in to the folder. Restart Origin. It should bypass the download and do a short install.

Worked fine with ME3. Might be an easier way, but I dunno. Haven't done it very often.

I did the same thing, except I didn't bother to delete/rename the old folder, just copied over the top of it.

This didn't use to work with games that were installed, only with games that had been downloaded, but maybe they've finally fixed it to the point where it now works for all of them. I'll give it a try on Monday with some other games.

13. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Preloads Nov 14, 2014, 22:18 Creston

Midnight wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 21:11:
: :-checks-: :

Nope, no preload for Aussies until the 18th.

You can use a VPN to get it unlocked. Plenty of people have already done so according to Bioware's forum. These people are also going to be playing Monday morning, as they'll just pretend to be in Japan or something.

12. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Preloads Nov 14, 2014, 22:17 Creston

1badmf wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 21:01:
Creston wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 20:47:
Wooohooo! While it doesn't work with games that are already released, you CAN download Origin preloads on a faster pipe, then port them over to your slow-as-shit connected machine, and it'll work. Just saved myself 80ish hours of preloading.

C'MON TUESDAY!!!

is it just one big file that you copy over to another machine and dump in the same directory?

No, it's just the entire install directory, but Origin has apparently gotten smart enough to realize "oh, these files are already here!" and just skips the entire downloading process. You know, like Steam USED to be able to do

11. Re: Cinemaware Anthology: 1986-1991 Released Nov 14, 2014, 22:13 Creston

harlock wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 20:47:
anyone remember those bad ass "sex scenes" from Sinbad??

AWWWW YEH

About the only thing I remember from Sinbad is the sword fights with a freaking tiger or something...

3. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Preloads Nov 14, 2014, 20:47 Creston

Wooohooo! While it doesn't work with games that are already released, you CAN download Origin preloads on a faster pipe, then port them over to your slow-as-shit connected machine, and it'll work. Just saved myself 80ish hours of preloading.

C'MON TUESDAY!!!

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Nov 14, 2014, 20:37 Creston

*fart*  

8. Re: Cinemaware Anthology: 1986-1991 Released Nov 14, 2014, 20:36 Creston

DangerDog wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 20:24:
The only one I ever finished was Rocket Ranger on the Amiga.

that's the only one I DIDN'T finish

7. Re: Cinemaware Anthology: 1986-1991 Released Nov 14, 2014, 20:34 Creston

This is a reaaaaally cool anthology. To GOG!  

News Comments > Warlords of Draenor DDoSed
15. Re: Warlords of Draenor DDoSed Nov 14, 2014, 18:07 Creston

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 16:53:
Darks wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 15:03:
Sorry, I'm hijacking this thread since this is a dumb game anyway and past its prime.

DA Inquisition is preloading. Cant wait!
Yep. And for those that ordered from GMG, keys are out as well.

Cool that GMG has started handing out keys already, you should be able to preload.

Btw, you can actually move a preload from a fast connection computer to a slow connection computer. Woohoo!

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
26. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 14, 2014, 17:26 Creston

Necrophob wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 14:58:
"When we're on the phone and you talk real slow. Cause it's late and your mama don't know." The genius that is Taylor Swift. Talk real slow? I'm not sure that's a valid method of remaining undetected...

yeah, but "soft" don't rhyme with "know", homey!

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 14, 2014, 14:40 Creston

At the same time, we hear this

Yay government.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 14, 2014, 14:34 Creston

Has it only been a YEAR since Snowden??? It feels like that's been going on for a fucking decade already.

“The American people are wondering whether Congress can get anything done,” Leahy said in a statement issued Wednesday. “The answer is yes, they should wonder about that, because we are about as useful as a tit on a waffle.”

24245 Comments. 1213 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo