Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 25252 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Cities: Skylines Soars
105. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 17, 2015, 23:41 Creston

Btw, they've now sold 500K!

Quboid, please explain about the footpaths. Do you mean you have pedestrian paths going to things like metro lines and such? Can't pedestrians automatically walk around in residential areas?

Here's where you can export your own height maps to play on. (import them into the map editor) Works like a charm. Lot of work to get the water to show up correct, though. (Read the readme included, it lists the elevated offset for the heightmap.)

This comment was edited on Mar 18, 2015, 00:12.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Where'd all the 112 year olds come from? Mar 17, 2015, 21:18 Creston

Well, from 1903, obviously!

News Comments > TITAN X Available
12. Re: TITAN X Available Mar 17, 2015, 21:17 Creston

and with double the memory

Really? Or is it "double" the memory?

News Comments > Into the Black
32. Re: Into the Black Mar 17, 2015, 18:35 Creston

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 17, 2015, 14:50:
And I think I could live with -40°C .. but definitely not with +40°C You ever experienced 100% humidity after a summer rain?

It gets above 40 degrees C (104F) fairly often here in the summer. We had 45 straight days of 100F+ in the summer of 2012. Yes, it's miserable, but you do eventually get used to it. (I'd hate to live without AC in it, though...)

I don't know that -40 C would ever be something a human body could get used to. I prefer being cold to hot as well, but to a certain point. - 40 is just agonizing.

31. Re: Into the Black Mar 17, 2015, 18:31 Creston

Bodolza wrote on Mar 17, 2015, 12:41:
Both F and C are base-10.

I was referring to the non-use of the metric system in the US, not specifically Fahrenheit.

103. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 17, 2015, 18:15 Creston

descender wrote on Mar 17, 2015, 13:48:
I don't know exactly how long his particular example would continue to work. I had to rebuild parts of it to fit my situation and eventually used larger roads than he did. Seems to work well at larger volumes if you use highway pieces to perform the split.

It worked on a proof of concept I did earlier, I should try just plonking one down in my 60K city to see how it does.

The problem usually arises from the first traffic light (and their inability to make a right turn to a one way road from the left lane... come on!) so I am making everything one way on my main artery (with offshoots) to the middle of the city, and then allow 2-way traffic on the other side.

I REALLY hope they will patch it so we can decide where to put traffic lights ourselves.

I'm not seeing that much because I'm probably overdoing the public services.

Once you have one of everything, don't bother with more for awhile. It doesn't matter if your city is far larger than the spheres of influence, it'll still work.

102. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 17, 2015, 18:12 Creston

Dacron wrote on Mar 17, 2015, 13:34:
So I need industrial to harvest the commodity and Commercial to distribute... Residential is not needed in zone (but could help with supplying closer workers if it is) and can't be converted to specialized industry correct?

In the actual zone itself, you only have to put the industry. The commercial district can be somewhere else completely, as the game will just ship the stuff around with trucks anyway. Same goes for the residential (don't put that in with the industrial, your people WILL get sick )

So keep industrial as specialization production until offices are available to reduce pollution / traffic?

Correct. It's a slow process, though, as both Forestry and Agricultural can only be placed in specific areas, so your expansion will be more costly and slower.

On the flipside, however, both forestry and agri are sustainable, ie, it doesn't use up the product. That's my big issue with ore and oil, you'll plant some industry on top of them and a game year later it's gone...

News Comments > Gone Gold - Pillars of Eternity
7. Re: Gone Gold - Pillars of Eternity Mar 17, 2015, 13:23 Creston

Verno wrote on Mar 17, 2015, 13:14:
Awesome, finally something I kickstarted pays off.

You don't think SR Dragonfall paid off?

99. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 17, 2015, 13:21 Creston

Dacron wrote on Mar 17, 2015, 12:54:
Do you need zone specifics for setting up district specialties?

Yeah, you need to draw a district, and then mark the district as being that particular type (ore, oil, forest or agriculture.) Or is that not what you meant?

If you set a forestry district, do you need industrial, commercial or residential to profit off the resource?

The forestry district creates the specialized shops necessary to create products, but you will need commercial districts to actually sell the products. They can export some of them, but not all.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Pillars of Eternity
2. Re: Gone Gold - Pillars of Eternity Mar 17, 2015, 12:40 Creston

Wooooo, congrats Obsidian! I'm looking forward to playing it!  

25. Re: Into the Black Mar 17, 2015, 12:30 Creston

ItBurn wrote on Mar 17, 2015, 12:01:
I wouldn't say we're a base 10 species. That's indeed the base that most people are familiar with when doing maths though. There are strong arguments for base 12.

I concur that there are some good arguments for base-12/duodecimal, but I don't think you can explain those arguments to a child. Every child has to learn rudimentary counting and math skills by using his/her fingers. That gets you set in base-10 math, and from then on it's just easier to keep using that.

Yes, mathematicians go "You can teach this to a child! It makes so much more sense! Just use 4 fingers and 3 parts per finger!"

Yeah, good luck explaining that to a 2 or 3 year old.

I also don't hold to the idea that "base 12 is just as easy to calculate in!" Sure, in small amounts it is. I can figure out how many quarters or halves or thirds there are in 2 dozen pretty quickly.

Now, quick. How many thirds are there in 24 dozen? How many quarters in 258 dozen?

In base ten, it's just a shift of the decimal point. How many centimeters in 258 meters? 25800.

This comment was edited on Mar 17, 2015, 12:39.

95. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 17, 2015, 12:22 Creston

Verno wrote on Mar 17, 2015, 09:54:
Ok after reading most of this thread for feedback I am totally picking this up, thanks for all of the info fellas

Welcome to the "BluesNews Shitty Mayors Club!"

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 17, 2015, 06:40:
Thanks for those tips guys. I kinda fucked up my city pretty good last night while trying to fix the traffic jam situation downtown. I think I've gone a bit overboard with the one way streets, turn them into 2 ways doesn't help just makes them even more jammed up.
I am around 35k-40k population. I am thinking of starting over.

Been there, done that. Multiple times.

I'm starting my sixth city today...

94. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 17, 2015, 12:21 Creston

descender wrote on Mar 17, 2015, 09:49:
Rather than trying to centralize the incinerators in the industrial park for pollution purposes I split them between the two areas so they each have their own garbage collection. I also put them as far away from the entrance/exit of the areas as possible. This stops the garbage trucks from travelling on the connectors between the areas and causing unneeded traffic. (Note: an important part of that splitter is only putting commercial buildings on the "exit" of the industrial park so that residents don't drive around/through it for shopping purposes.

Yeah I think I'll try the splitting up method. My system works until ~ 40K (and I FFWd my city to 60K yesterday and it was still functional, but traffic was essentially just a giant jam on most entrances 24/7).

Btw, that coffee filter thing you linked, have you tried that with a larger city? (The video shows it working with 6K people, but eh. At 6K a simple 2L1W grid will run beautifully, even if it doesn't split the types of traffic.) I actually never thought about splitting the industrial traffic from the worker traffic, because I never thought that would work.

My biggest problem so far is fires... and funding... No matter where I put the fire departments and no matter the funding level... buildings just burn down all the time. I wedged an "extra" fire/police/hospital just before the traffic splitter (in addition to the ones spread throughout the city) so they can help cover any overworked areas but it just doesn't seem to matter much.

Yeah, stuff burns down. It happens. I don't find it that much of a big deal, except that it's annoying they won't rebuild over it on their own, and you have to bulldoze shit manually. I think there's a mod that auto-bulldozes vacant and burned down lots.

Every time I start to catch back up in funding I need to plop down another school/fire/PD/etc and I can't seem to catch up to my budget to enact any policies without going bankrupt. Maybe I just have to be OK with a little more crime and fire in my town :p

You have that much trouble with funding? I now typically make 5K a week before my city reaches 6K people. I was making 35K a week at 25K population or so. I just stay far away from policies, as the benefits don't really seem to outweigh the costs.

I'm going to try to make a city with just forestry/agriculture and then offices. Maybe by staying away from shitty low level industry I can avoid all the irritating traffic issues.

Btw, I downloaded a 460K people save game yesterday to see how the guy did it, and it was a pretty damn incredible city. One tiny area of industry, and the rest is just high rises and 6 lane boulevards everywhere.

Here is the city for those of you interested in having a look at it.

93. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 17, 2015, 12:09 Creston

Sepharo wrote on Mar 17, 2015, 02:15:
Are you using empty landfill? That should only be used sparingly and never more than one at a time or it will result in exactly what you said. Spread your incinerator plants like you would any other service, despite the fact that they can travel much farther. Despite the ability to raise funding on garbage to get more trucks I've found it better to simply spread more incinerator plants so they aren't clustering. Keep them away from persistent traffic jam areas too

I try that, but the persistent traffic jam areas are my industrial zone, which produces the most garbage. Also, it's where my incinerators always tended to be, though I've finally begun to realize that I should probably put them somewhere else. I hate spreading the pollution around though.

Baristan wrote on Mar 17, 2015, 02:24:
I started building districts that are only connected by subway and rail.
No more garbage trucks/hearses/firetrucks traveling out of their assigned areas. Significantly reduces traffic, can get away with less incinerators and crematories, and no more buildings burning down next door to the fire station.

I was actually just thinking about that, but doesn't that heavily overload your public transport? I have 30K workers, if they all have to take the train/metro to get to work, it'd look like the Tokyo subway all day long...

21. Re: Into the Black Mar 17, 2015, 11:55 Creston

Pigeon wrote on Mar 16, 2015, 20:24:
Interesting argument, but I've always figured people would know what temperatures meet their comfort/discomfort zone based on what they're familiar with. If someone told me it was 34C out I wouldn't know what that meant, but if they said its 93F I'd know it was shorts and t-shirt time. Anyone that has used both extensively have a preference?

I grew up with C, and now use F because I live in the US, and I always have to calculate it back to C before I really know how hot/cold it really is outside.

I can do this in the span of like .5 seconds, but I can never figure out the relative temperature just from the F reading.

In any case, at 0 degrees celsius water freezes, and at 100 degrees C water boils. What are the 0 and 100 points in F for? Oh, that's right, nothing.

F is a fucking stupid system, as is literally every other unit of measure used in the US. We are a base-10 species. Not using base-10 as your default units in everything is retarded.

85. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 17, 2015, 01:58 Creston

descender wrote on Mar 16, 2015, 17:16:
split the traffic right at the start, and don't let it get back together.

This is essentially the feeder I set up i described below.

Split the traffic right away. One path to industrial... use 1 ways streets connected by 2 way "ends" to create your "industrial box" and then have an exit go back to the highway. Along the exit, create a ramp that feeds back in before the original split. The trucks can wheel around your industrial area all they want, and then feed out successfully. The people working in the industrial area take the connector back to the splitter, and then go home via the residential feeders. I set up basically the same system for the residential feeder, and my traffic flows beautifully (and no trucks ever go in the residential area for the most part).

I essentially stole this idea from here: http://goo.gl/n5gLLL (A similar workshop entry: http://goo.gl/1N4tmQ)

I couldn't recreate his exact implementation so I had to fudge a few things (and added an extra loop back connector that he didn't use)... maybe I'll try to screenshot it later.

Cool links, thanks. My setup works until about 40K population, and then it starts to get overloaded. My biggest problem is always the fucking garbage trucks. The game seems to insist on sending 500 garbage trucks to and fro the same area, causing massive snarls.

I'll give these setups a try.

General Discussion > Cities Skyline Bluesnoobs
8. No subject Mar 16, 2015, 16:45 Creston

Dacron wrote on Mar 16, 2015, 15:19:
And Creston is building ghettos lol

Hey, whatever my city needs to keep growing.

81. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 16, 2015, 16:42 Creston

Dacron wrote on Mar 16, 2015, 13:07:
Try designing roundabouts and other road works in the asset editor. Makes it a breeze compared to in game.

I use a very small, 3 lane 1 way round about, with 4 way streets on exit. Much smaller than the 'small' roundabout and much more effective. No lights either, just stop signs to enter. If I create in game instead of editor, if I am off by a slight bit I might end up with lights.

I didn't make this, but it is the same - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406778341

If I try to create different ones in game instead of editor, traffic lights everywhere, even inside the roundabouts which kills the purpose.

The problem with very small roundabouts is that eventually they will become overwhelmed by the amount of traffic offered to them. Which is realistic, because the smaller the roundabout, the less traffic it can handle per hour.

So far, through four cities, I've found that really the only thing that will keep up with industrial traffic is freeway, leading to a 2L1W road in the middle, that branches off both left and right with 2L1W roads, that then each lead into a 2L1W road that leads back to the freeway. Ie, split the traffic right at the start, and don't let it get back together.

The only annoying thing about that solution is that trucks tend to want to visit multiple stops in your industrial area, and the only way you can do that with this is to continuously feed them into the area, make one stop, take them out back onto the freeway, then have an on-ramp that allows them to get back to the entry point. It creates a lot of circular traffic, but because it's all freeway and 2L1W roads, it keeps moving.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Your government in action Mar 16, 2015, 12:39 Creston

From Cali is out of water:

Second, the implementation of the Sustainable Groundwater Management Act of 2014 should be accelerated. The law requires the formation of numerous, regional groundwater sustainability agencies by 2017. Then each agency must adopt a plan by 2022 and “achieve sustainability” 20 years after that.

Yeah, that seems like a good plan. Basically it's: "Let's add more people to the government payroll, then see what happens!"

Well done, fellas.

78. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 16, 2015, 12:31 Creston

descender wrote on Mar 16, 2015, 11:02:
I've kind of stalled out at around 30k people on my first city, which is also where I learned that you run out of natural resources like Oil... surprise, your Oil power plants are no longer running! Bzzzzt.

I think if you delete your oil industry, the oil power plants will go back to importing oil from The Outside.

25252 Comments. 1263 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo