Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 23573 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
33. Re: Op Ed Sep 5, 2014, 17:10 Creston

Yosemite Sam wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 16:58:
The death throes of an industry that shilled themselves into irrelevance.

How marvelously succinct.

You, sir, are a modern Ernest Hemingway.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2014, 15:58 Creston

Please refer to Marshawn Lynch by his actual name, that being BEEF MOE.

Skittles is also allowed.

News Comments > Op Ed
29. Re: Op Ed Sep 5, 2014, 15:23 Creston

Beamer wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 14:34:
Creston, you're really putting words in their mouth with "every single gamer." They're all trying to clearly distinguish between people that play games (nearly everyone) and people that lash out and feel any criticism of games is a betrayal.

No, most of them really aren't. Maybe this guy is, but most of these whiny "WAAAAAH WHY DON'T YOU LOVE US, WE JUST SELL YOU BULLSHIT?!" clowns are pretty much in the "ALL OF YOU SUCK" camp. As I had already demonstrated in the Leigh Alexander piece, and quite frankly I have no desire to do so again.

That lengthy piece goes on to explain how the media created the "gamer," anyway, that in the 80s, with the media in death throes, it turned around and started appealing to a very specific demographic - the nerdy teenage male, and in it created a whole bunch of marketing to them that segmented off the "gamer" from the "regular human being who most likely also likes games,"

Who didn't exist in the 80s. The "gamer" was the entire audience. There were no bros who loved to play CoD, or parents who came home and did a quick jaunt in ETS2 to relax. Nerdy teenage males were basically the entire demographic.

So, yeah, nice argument, but too bad it doesn't hold water.

and now that the industry is trying to combine those two there seem to be issues.

If by "trying to combine those two" you mean "trying to shove everyone on the same heap", then yes. If they would simply say "There's a segment of people on the internet that consists of worthless cockroaches, and the rest of you are just people who love to play games", then yay. And again, they're creating this straw man of fucking humongous proportions by going "Well, all gamers, aka the 80s nerdy teenage male now feels threatened that games isn't just about them anymore, so they all lash out against anything that they feel threatens their 'realm'" or whatever.

Which is quite funny, because
A) those gamers are still a pretty goddamn significant portion of your ENTIRE FUCKING AUDIENCE, as per the Ars Technica article from a few days ago that showed that current teenage 13-24 year old males are just 18% or so of the entire gaming population

b) The large majority of the foul-mouthed gnomes on the internet comes from the CURRENT teenage demographic

c) the small portion of people that adhere to their straw man concept of "threatened gamer male" does not in any way, shape or form speak for the rest of the 80s teenage male nerd, of which we have many, many here.

And yes, you're right, it isn't journalism. But, frankly, where is the room for "journalism" in games? It's covering a consumer product!

Then stop fucking calling it that. Let all these fucking sites stop with their horseshit "we're here to deliver you honest and unbiased news" or whatever other waffling crap that Kotaku dipshit was spewing on a daily basis, and just admit that you're all JUST FREELANCER ADVERTISERS.

(not aimed at you personally, obviously, since I doubt you write about games for a living.)

What do you want them to right about? I highlighted that passage because it's all true - game "journalists" can only know what PR lets them see. Same with movies. Same with music. But those areas have personalities people want to read about. Games don't. So the only source of information is the companies themselves.
I don't exactly see what people want. What kind of articles would you like to see? What kind of journalism can realistically happen. Or unrealistically. What articles would you like to see written, assuming the journalist is omniscient and doesn't need to go through a PR team to get access to the product?

Personally I don't really even give a shit anymore, I'd just be happy for all those untalented, unschooled hacks to get off their high fucking horse and stop pretending they're on some kind of similar level with freaking Walter Cronkite or something.

And yes, they need to go through the companies to get there, but then they could at least, I dunno, not just verbatim copy-paste what's being shoveled into them? Ask some ACTUAL questions? Maybe something like this? (which, even though PA did a comic about it, never actually HAPPENED, as far as I can tell.)

Be honest in your previews. If a game seems to be a piece of shit, write that it seems to be a piece of shit. And sure, that may mean that you don't get the "awesome cocktails" next time. Oh noes.

The idea that publishers would just completely lock out an actual HONEST games "journalist" is horseshit, because that kind of negative PR would come back to bite them in the ass a million times over. Eventually the large majority of readers (who genuinely DO want honest articles rather than fucking publisher spoo) would flock to websites with ACTUAL standards that tell it like it is.

But nope. Let's all keep sucking EA's taint and calling ourselves journalists, even though we took exactly 0 minutes of classes towards the four year program required to be called one. (really a pet peeve of mine, obviously.)

This comment was edited on Sep 5, 2014, 15:32.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2014, 13:54 Creston

Hanover wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 13:14:
Done! I just grabbed a TrackIR 5 since I can't get enough of Elite. I was looking as some of my other titles like Asseto Corsa and Grid and they all seem to support TrackIR. Can't wait!

Anyone using TrackIR now?

I believe Spectral has one.

News Comments > Op Ed
17. Re: Op Ed Sep 5, 2014, 13:42 Creston

How do I explain what has been happening in videogames journalism blogging this past fifteen years to a readership that doesnít follow along videogame news on a daily basis without confirming all the worst stereotypes of videogame journalists bloggers?

Two can play the bullshit game. Apparently most videogame bloggers have decided that every.single.gamer is a worthless piece of shit who is only out to bash women.

It'd be fun if all gamers did die out, as they're all so fervently hoping for, because then these untalented hacks would have to get a job that doesn't consist of being publisher mouthpieces and copy-pasting press releases.

Again, morons, the gamers ARE YOUR FUCKING CUSTOMERS. Without them, you'd have to suck dick on the streets to buy a sammich.

Is this corruption? Maybe. But itís also simply the way consumer entertainment journalism works (for better or worse).

IT'S NOT FUCKING JOURNALISM!!!! YOU STUPID FUCKING DILDO!! It's nothing more than really convoluted advertising. Which makes you, journalist blogger, nothing more than a convoluted marketing peon.

If you want to be considered a journalist, don't accept the drinks from Ubisoft, don't get put up by them in a fucking swanky hotel, and ask to play the game without the ubisoft marketoid there to fucking handhold you every second. And then afterwards, ask questions about why feature A and B felt like ass, and why Connor felt like the world's largest and most boring shitbag.

As long as none of you imbeciles do this, none of you are deserving of the title journalist, and none of the pretentious webrags you work for are deserving of even a bit's worth of bandwith.

This comment was edited on Sep 5, 2014, 13:57.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 5, 2014, 12:50 Creston

I give five dismissive strokes on my phallus to the name phablet.

News Comments > Planetary Annihilation in Stores
18. Re: Planetary Annihilation in Stores Sep 5, 2014, 12:24 Creston

Xil wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 11:56:
Creston wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 11:20:
Another BIG Kickstarter title delivered. Awesome.

Too bad it has no SP.

checked it out last week really quickly, it seems to have a SP campaign but tbh no idea how big it really is or if it even has a story

Oh, it does? They had never planned on one. Does anyone have any more info about it?

Thanks Xil!

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 12:02:
Ps.: It has SP in a sense, Skirmish is in and works fine. There is also Galactic war, which is a sort of "travel around stars, find tech, find enemy, fight enemies, win" campaign. No story, but if you want to play SP keep in mind this is literally a draw of luck. You either find the tech you need to win, or you literally do not have a single chance in hell since you can not retreat from a fight (ie, you move on a star on the star-map, and it only gives you the option to fight)

Oh...

Thanks Eraser.

News Comments > Chaos Rising Removes GFWL
5. Re: Chaos Rising Removes GFWL Sep 5, 2014, 12:23 Creston

Kajetan wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 11:57:
Creston wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 11:19:
Yeah, that's not going to get people upset...
Its funny ... you know what people are upset about? Having to aquire all achievements once more because the old GfWL achievement data is not transferred to your Steam account. Talk about priorities

... words fail me...

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Tiniest Football Player Sep 5, 2014, 11:33 Creston

That's not a glitch, that's Darren Sproles, aka Tiny Pocket Darren!  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2014, 11:28 Creston

I'd create a square of small banners at the top, Blue. 2 by 2,

Amazon USA -------- Amazon UK
Amazon Canada ---- Amazon Germany

That way they show up first and are easy to get to for people just doing a quick pop by to get to Amazon through your page, and it's easily subdivided for users of the respective territories.

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Sep 5, 2014, 11:24 Creston

Just more evidence that games journalism blogging can't even be bothered to come up with their own fucking articles anymore. "Hey guys, some dipshit wrote something about gamers being dead, let's all just do some heavy copypasta!"

Fucking toolbags sheds stores.

8. Re: Planetary Annihilation in Stores Sep 5, 2014, 11:21 Creston

SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 10:34:
It reminds me of Stracraft with "number of action per minute" and macros and build orders, bullshit

TA/ SupCom was all about your build order, so that seems pretty much in keeping with its forefathers?

7. Re: Planetary Annihilation in Stores Sep 5, 2014, 11:20 Creston

Another BIG Kickstarter title delivered. Awesome.

Too bad it has no SP.

News Comments > Chaos Rising Removes GFWL
1. Re: Chaos Rising Removes GFWL Sep 5, 2014, 11:19 Creston

Removed Lan/Direct Connect.

Yeah, that's not going to get people upset...

24. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 4, 2014, 17:18 Creston

Blue wrote on Sep 4, 2014, 15:57:
And for Amazon Germany:

http://www.amazon.de/?_encoding=UTF8&tag=blsne00-21

Sorry, don't know enough German to mirror the "programme" joke.

Allow me to help:

Achtung! Wir haben jetz einer cookie im die deutschen website des Amazon! Scheisse mit die hose an! Und jetz kommen die kamelen mit die grosser bulten!

*ducks*

News Comments > SEGA's Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Response
34. Re: SEGA's Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Response Sep 4, 2014, 16:04 Creston

Dude, please. The game runs straight up on the PC's ludicrously more powerful hardware. If you seriously believe they have it running in a fucking emulated Xbone environment, I have an emulated copy of the Golden Gate bridge to sell you.

All the Xbone games shown at the very first E3 were ALL straight up running on high-end PCs, not on the shitty Xbone hardware.

News Comments > Australian Steam Refund Demands Detailed
15. Re: Australian Steam Refund Demands Detailed Sep 4, 2014, 16:01 Creston

garrywong wrote on Sep 4, 2014, 15:43:
I don't get it. How does anyone expect Valve to fully refund a game purchase when they only take a supposedly 30% cut of the purchase?

How else would you suggest it gets handled?? You buy a game on Steam, it doesn't work, and you have to contact Deep Silver in Germany, and they, what, send you a check for 60 bucks or something? And then they send a tweet to valve "Hey, take this game from the account of so and so, we gave him his money back!" And then Valve says "Well, give us the 60 bucks back, and then we'll get you the 30% of that back."

Valve is the one that processed the deal, they are the only ones who can reverse the charge (other than yourself) on your CC, and then take the game away from your library again. It isn't a question of difficulty at all. It would literally take a Steam "customer service" (snort) representative maybe 2 minutes to deal with the whole fucking thing from start to finish.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
4. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 4, 2014, 15:48 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Sep 4, 2014, 01:34:
That's some serious fuckin' bravery right there.

Dayum son...

News Comments > SEGA's Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Response
31. Re: SEGA's Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Response Sep 4, 2014, 15:46 Creston

Beamer wrote on Sep 4, 2014, 13:37:
The games are often running in an Xbox environment on the PC.

Yeah, and my dick is 12 inches too.

News Comments > Australian Steam Refund Demands Detailed
11. Re: Australian Steam Refund Demands Detailed Sep 4, 2014, 12:23 Creston

Cutter wrote on Sep 4, 2014, 11:41:
wtf_man wrote on Sep 4, 2014, 10:55:
I'm not sure how this is enforceable.

Valve is not an Australian company... and even if they do have offices there, it would be easy to shut them down. Australians would still be buying games from Steam, even if they had to use a proxy to do so. In fact they'd probably be more apt to buy non-censored versions of the games through proxy.

Don't get me wrong... I hate that I can't get refunds on games either... but I can't see how the Aussies can enforce this, nor why Valve wouldn't just flip them the bird.

To do business in a foreign country you're subject to their laws. They could block them. But yes you're right, people can just proxy around that. However, that's needlessly losing a large amount of revenue versus how much refunds will cost them. I'll have to look it into but I could swear Canada and plenty of other European countries have similar laws on the books. Gaben and Valve already have more money than stink, so forcing them to do the right thing is long overdue.

And it's not as if Valve doesn't have competition anymore these days. If they say "fuck you, Australia" publishers might just release their games on different platforms rather than Steam to not have to deal with the hassle of Valve's exclusion of a reasonably large market.

Valve just need to stop being such fucking assholes about the whole thing. The tiny amount of people who would abuse this would pale in comparison to the enormous amount of goodwill they'd generate.

GOG understands this, but Gabe & Co apparently only see dollar signs anymore.

23573 Comments. 1179 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo