Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 24503 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic - Shadow of Revan Released
6. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic - Shadow of Revan Released Dec 10, 2014, 00:04 Creston

"Revanís storyline is filled with the intense cinematic action and BioWare storytelling that fans have come to expect from Star Wars: The Old Republic," wanted in a single player sequel to KOTOR since 2003.

Fuck you and your shitty MMO.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > AMD Catalyst Omega Released
10. Re: AMD Catalyst Omega Released Dec 9, 2014, 18:23 Creston

The good news: we are offering built-in Ultra HD upsampling with frame rate conversion and HD detail enhancement that will convert 1080p videos to near UltraHD quality on 4K displays.

Uh-huh.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Content Plans
54. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Content Plans Dec 9, 2014, 18:16 Creston

Redmask wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 17:58:
Did they pull this patch yet? This seems to affect all PC copies, not just a specific hardware subset so the usual excuses don't apply. I hope they don't fubar peoples saves. Great job Bioware on not even loading the PC version to test.

Nope, no rollback yet afaik. Which makes me wonder if they've actually already identified the issue, but now they're just trying to figure out how to get people's shit to unbreak.

But it's pretty staggering that they literally did NO testing on the PC patch whatsoever, beyond apparently checking that Origin would apply it. Anyone who plays on High or Ultra immediately notices. (and I'm not even talking about the many, many reports of dialogue no longer working, crashes in menus, crashes in Skyhold, half the frame rate, etc etc etc.)

News Comments > No Elite: Dangerous Launch Wipe
80. Re: No Elite: Dangerous Launch Wipe Dec 9, 2014, 18:07 Creston

Bundy wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 14:04:
You'll still get paid for exploring systems that are unexplored to you. You just got some bonus cash for being the first to explore it ever. But given how much exploring pays in general, you'll still make quite a bit more money just hauling fish around the galaxy.

Hehehe. Thanks, I was curious how that whole mechanic worked.

51. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Content Plans Dec 9, 2014, 17:06 Creston

It won't help with the patch nonsense, but I found an excellent thread with a lot of potential helpful things for the PC version.

(The Win7 vs Win8.1 comparison in that article blows me away. I suspect hardware shenanigans. I can see win8 being faster, but in some of those screenshots it's like 60-70% faster.)

49. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Content Plans Dec 9, 2014, 16:57 Creston

Drayth wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 16:45:
Creston wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 15:52:
Holy shit...

Found this on the forum:

1) Navigate to your "%USERPROFILE%\Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age Inquisition\Save" folder
2) Open the "ProfileOptions_profile" file with Notepad
3) Increase the "GstRender.MeshQuality" parameter by a factor of 1.
4) Save the file, open the game and check the quality of the graphics.
5) If the meshes are not high quality again, repeat step 3.

Thanks, Creston!

And lol, dwarf..

Oh, I forgot about that. It was tested and it doesn't work.

46. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Content Plans Dec 9, 2014, 16:44 Creston

From the same thread:

Ceoldoren, on 09 Dec 2014 - 2:24 PM, said:
I can confirm that theirs no shiny hair on PS4. So I assume it's a PC only thing.
i can also confirm this.

So it seems Bioware has joined Ubisoft in the whole "Ah, yes, testing our PC games and patches. We have dismissed that claim." (Turian airquote) thing.

Here's another pretty good one.

Also, it seems that this affects 100% of all PC users, so I'm going to say that they did zero testing on this patch for the PC. Good show...

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 2014, 16:57.

42. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Content Plans Dec 9, 2014, 15:52 Creston

Verno wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 15:42:
People might want to hold off patching for now. Unlike Steam, you can set Origin not to auto-update and then just play DA:I in offline mode even if it knows theres an update. Wish I had done that.

All of my characters have the shiny hair bug with the meshes now despite my graphical options settings and my characters complexion/etc is totally off. It seems like they applied low settings to everything or something, now the textures/etc looks like crap. I have to mess around with the config file a bit and see what the hell is going on, change my settings more to see if that helps and etc.

After messing around in the character creation for a bit I just discovered that they actually removed a ton of the options, no wonder my character got changed. I hope that is accidental.

Holy shit...

Found this on the forum:

1) Navigate to your "%USERPROFILE%\Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age Inquisition\Save" folder
2) Open the "ProfileOptions_profile" file with Notepad
3) Increase the "GstRender.MeshQuality" parameter by a factor of 1.
4) Save the file, open the game and check the quality of the graphics.
5) If the meshes are not high quality again, repeat step 3.

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 2014, 15:59.

41. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Content Plans Dec 9, 2014, 15:51 Creston

jomisab wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 15:45:
Verno wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 15:42:
People might want to hold off patching for now. Unlike Steam, you can set Origin not to auto-update...

You can tell Steam to not update on a game-by-game basis.

Until you run said game, and then it FORCES you to update. They changed that awhile back. No idea why.

40. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Content Plans Dec 9, 2014, 15:50 Creston

Verno wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 14:46:
Reading it over there a few PC specific tweaks to address complaints but nothing approaching what was needed. In fact only one significant tweak that I can see, the right click hold in tactical mode. Hopefully patch 3 has more substance for PC users...

As I posted yesterday, this is just the first of a series of changes they are planning to make. Alan Schumacher said there'd only be a few small things in this patch.

They didn't build SkyUI in a week, ya know.

38. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Content Plans Dec 9, 2014, 15:48 Creston

Fletch wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 14:12:
And the PC players (and console players) who espouse the graphic options in every fucking console port as evidence of a developer's love for or attempt to appease the PC gaming community (such as it is), or as evidence of a game's PC-ness, just don't have a clue about what makes a PC game a PC game.

I know what makes a PC game a PC game, thank you, and despite the bad UI, the game has cool gameplay and is imminently playable.

You're entitled to your opinion. If you want to call this a shit port, go right ahead. I don't agree with your opinion.

27. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Content Plans Dec 9, 2014, 13:57 Creston

Verno wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 13:29:
When you do the search pulse little dots appear on your radar now that show stuff you can loot. Finally a use for your minimap.

I take it the patch is out?

23. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Content Plans Dec 9, 2014, 13:22 Creston

Verno wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 13:04:
Also anyone else notice Varric is always lagging way behind everyone else in terms of damage? He's got great banter options so I want to take him but his DPS is terrible. Even with his Bianca upgrades maxed out whenever possible hes always the lowest. I've been thinking about just making him dual daggers or something which feels like sacrilege.

I feel like I'm missing a quest or something that will make him more powerful but I swear I've done them all.

Varric has always been useless in battle. He was useless in DA2 and he's useless here. Fully upgraded, Bianca does ~ 149 DPS, which is less than a plain white bow I gave to Sera, and is even less than the normal attack on my fucking mage staff. And he can't AoE bomb shit for 6K damage to make up for it. (About the only really good archer power is the 800% damage + 800% if an enemy isn't damaged and it puts them to sleep. I used to start battles with that, it's very useful in taking scary things out of battle.)

I bring him because his banter with Cassandra is hilarious. Finding out Cassandra is a fan of his smut novels was so brilliant I actually went and told my wife about it.

22. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Content Plans Dec 9, 2014, 13:20 Creston

Verno wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 12:58:
I didn't really notice or care much until I went up against a tough mob for the first time and then you really start to see your companions doing stupid things.

Yeah, it's why I refuse to play Nightmare. It just becomes Comedy Capers on nightmare, and while it certainly is a challenge to finish every battle by yourself (doable with a Rogue), it becomes massively boring to have to go back for potions every other battle.

I guess maybe we have different definitions but to me a fantastic port would have UI and design accommodations for the PC. This has a lot of graphical options going for it and not much else. I like the game so I kind of make excuses for it when possible but it's a middling port at best.

That's fine, I will agree to disagree.

It's easier to gloss over that since its not so much stability as it is quality of life stuff but we've all dinged other games for the same. That's just control stuff too without getting into the terrible inventory/crafting/etc side of things.

Right, but I mean, if you compare it to Skyrim out of the box, THAT was a bad port. It had the terrible UI (Christ, anyone remember playing Skyrim with the basic UI? Before SkyUI? Holy shit it was fucking awful,) the terrible graphics options, the ZERO performance optimizations for the PC, etc. It was literally a barebones port thrown straight onto DirectX. It was ridiculous.

The good news is that the community was very vocal about it and Bioware is actually attempting to fix it. I think my second play through in this will be a lot more enjoyable as a result.

Yeah I'm gonna hold off before my second playthrough until a few of these patches have come through. I hope they inadvertently fix whatever's causing my system to hard crash when fighting those floaty robed demons near rifts, because that's getting very fucking annoying.

I still have FC4 to play, so I'll entertain myself with that before picking DA:I back up.

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Delayed Again
43. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Delayed Again Dec 9, 2014, 13:11 Creston

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 12:32:
Quinn wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 03:10:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 02:34:
Creston wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 00:36:
It's sad news, obviously, but I want them to take their time. I want Witcher 3 to be awesome, and if that takes twelve more weeks, it takes twelve more weeks. I'd have more time to play it in May/June anyway.

(Of course, it's also possible they saw DA:I and looked at their own graphics, and realized their claim that it'd be the best looking RPG ever was under fire. )
Really man? DA:I's graphics are in some cases worse then the alpha release graphics that were showcased over a year and a half ago. Don't even get me started on the plastic models that are used for the medium settings on the graphics option. Ugh.

Those plastic models -- mostly for full-plated armors -- are still there on Ultra, mate. When I look at my character with his full Orlesian Lion (or something) armor, it keeps reminding me of this plastic, silver looking shield I had when I was 8..

Good.. because I thought I was the only one who noticed that

Do you guys mean the sparkly shit that's stuck to all metal objects? I think it's the HBAO that's causing that. I haven't actually fiddled around to find it yet, but I don't think it's inherent to the textures. It definitely seems to be some kind of post-processing effect.

42. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Delayed Again Dec 9, 2014, 13:10 Creston

BitWraith wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 09:45:
Creston wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 00:39:
LittleMe wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 22:33:
Agreeing with Cutter. The market has spoken clearly on this and people's toleration for poor release quality is at a new low.

Is it? AC:Unity sold fucking freight trains full of copies... There will always be idiots who buy plain broken games then go and defend the game and the publisher everywhere they can, and are perfectly fine with buying something only to have it takes six to twelve months before it even becomes playable.

I bought AC Unity for PC - played it and finished it. I didn't encounter any major game stopping bugs myself.

That's fine, it's not going to hit everyone the same way, but the game was just broken on release, and it sold millions. (though at least ubisoft cleared up most of the initial problems quickly, unlike certain other games.)

The market HAS spoken clearly and the message is "release it in whatever kind of shape you want, we'll just buy it anyway." And then we wonder why publishers release games that are plain broken on release.

41. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Delayed Again Dec 9, 2014, 13:02 Creston

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 02:34:
Creston wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 00:36:
It's sad news, obviously, but I want them to take their time. I want Witcher 3 to be awesome, and if that takes twelve more weeks, it takes twelve more weeks. I'd have more time to play it in May/June anyway.

(Of course, it's also possible they saw DA:I and looked at their own graphics, and realized their claim that it'd be the best looking RPG ever was under fire. )
Really man? DA:I's graphics are in some cases worse then the alpha release graphics that were showcased over a year and a half ago. Don't even get me started on the plastic models that are used for the medium settings on the graphics option. Ugh.

Because when you're comparing graphics, you... use medium settings? Confused

You'll notice the smiley, I said it mostly in jest, but DA:I is fucking gorgeous, and compared to some of the Witcher 3 videos I've seen (which are obviously affected by Youtube's terrible compression algorithms) it definitely is a serious contender.

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 2014, 13:08.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 9, 2014, 12:54 Creston

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 10:13:
For a second there I thought the new PS4 bundle comes with 4 games.

yeah, me too. I was like "WOOOAAAH!"

/sad

News Comments > No Elite: Dangerous Launch Wipe
33. Re: No Elite: Dangerous Launch Wipe Dec 9, 2014, 12:49 Creston

Arithon wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 10:18:
Those of us who have been playing the game are fairly pleased by the news we get to keep the assets we've traded hard to get since November.

Cheaters will have their accounts wiped if they are found to be using exploits and anyone who wants to "reset" can at any time.

Moaners love to moan.

Half the complaints are based on the absurd notion that there is some kind of finish line. There is NO PRIZE for the first one to a billion credits, no medal for owning the largest ship. It's a sandbox, not a drag race.

Just out of curiosity, would this mean they also don't reset the exploration stuff? As in the guy who first explores solar system A-12345 gets paid for that, and then it can't be explored anymore.

17. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Content Plans Dec 9, 2014, 12:46 Creston

Verno wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 12:08:
Creston wrote on Dec 9, 2014, 12:01:
From what Alan Schumacher said, it didn't seem hopeful that would happen.

I still don't understand why they backtracked on tactics so much, it was one of the best things in the previous games. The AI in this game is pretty idiotic and I guess maybe I wouldn't care so much if the tactical cam was better and the mode itself had queuing but ugh.

They never said, but I imagine it has to do with Frostbite? Maybe it's just very hard to get the engine to queue that stuff up properly?

The hotbar thing is kind of a given considering the console versions have 8 hotbar buttons, they just put a different picture on the interface for it. The rest of the graphical options are courtesy of Dice more than Bioware.

Well, the individually selectable ones, maybe, but Frostbite didn't generate the Fade-Touched textures. We've had thousands of ports where the max textures are what the consoles get, so they deserve kudos for giving us not just Ultra but then even a level above.

I do think the game looks pretty spiffy in terms of visuals but I also want a PC interface and controls that make sense. I hope todays patch is the start of that.

Me too. It's not as if I particularly enjoy the PC controls, although 100+ hours in I don't even think about it anymore other than to get aggravated when I have to do so much fucking clicking when trying to get idiot Varric and idiot Solas out from under that Dragon's legs.

But port wise, it's a fantastic port. We shouldn't just dismiss the port as terrible because the UI is bad.

24503 Comments. 1226 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo