Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 22097 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ] Older >

News Comments > Wil Wheaton Joins Broken Age
2. Re: Wil Wheaton Joins Broken Age Dec 6, 2013, 22:13 Creston

Now all we need is Sheldon!  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > More Survivor 2299 Teasing
23. Re: More Survivor 2299 Teasing Dec 6, 2013, 17:21 Creston

Silicon Avatar wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 14:17:
I'm playing through SWKOTOR2 right now and some of the characters are just one info-dump after another. I "got" what was going on after the first two lines but I'm having to click through a wall of text so I can get to go DO something (doing something being the point of a game).

Obsidian actually acknowledged this in their Kickstarter for Eternity, and said that they are working on making characters give information in a more brief fashion.

22. Re: More Survivor 2299 Teasing Dec 6, 2013, 17:19 Creston

Fallout 4 in 2014 plskthxbye.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
37. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2013, 16:44 Creston

Holy shit has Enemy Within gotten plain INSANE hard on Classic and Impossible. Three missions in a row I lose two rookies and get one of my vets injured, to then be sent on my first terror mission with 1 support guy and 3 rookies, all 3 of which were classified as "shit" and had thus been left behind in the barracks "just in case."

I manage to kill 1 floater, 3 Crysalids and 1 zombie, until 1 zombie walks reasonably near them, manages to survive with 1 hitpoint, vomits a new Crysalid up, which can IMMEDIATELY MOVE AND ATTACK kills my support guy. So now I'm left with 3 rookies, all in range of the Crysalid, two more zombies in vomit range, the last floater which had been hiding for a week until it decided "Hey, they're up shit creek! ATTACK!", and then on my turn I find out two of them are out of ammo. And I'm 2 squares short of evacuating.

ANANDA GUPTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

15. Re: More Survivor 2299 Teasing Dec 6, 2013, 13:58 Creston

Cutter wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 10:28:
Marketing. Marketing never changes.

Haha, classic.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - FINAL FANTASY VIII
14. Re: Ships Ahoy - FINAL FANTASY VIII Dec 6, 2013, 11:33 Creston

Btw, SE did release a patch to the Steam version to fix the terrible sound quality. (for FF7)  

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Beta On Track; Last Chance for Add-ons
12. Re: Wasteland 2 Beta On Track; Last Chance for Add-ons Dec 6, 2013, 11:12 Creston

I thought about backing to be in the beta, then realized that I don't actually want to spoil an area of the game for myself.

So please test it well for me, guys. I want it to be bug free when I get my final copy.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2013, 11:10 Creston

1badmf wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 11:07:
nor do I, most of the time. i won't touch coffee, and beer only to get a buzz on at parties bars. i don't actually like it. i think it's safe to say based on this rock solid scientific foundation that creston and i are in a third category that abstainers of both are in fact superior.

AYE!!!!

9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2013, 11:10 Creston

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 11:06:
How can you live like this?

Pretty well, actually.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
13. Failbox Dec 6, 2013, 11:06 Creston

But does this ultimately fix the problem? Not for user hillhilly:

"I received my replacement console and at first I thought that the problem was gone but then the dropouts started again".

Same goes for user TheSTuFForD, except his got worse:

"…after being stoked about my replacement Xbox being here... The new console, does not have the wireless controller issue, but after spending a couple of hours installing games my drive stopped working".

- I am confident we will have no hardware issues with the Failbox.
Some SVP toolbag at Microsoft. Might have been Harrison.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2013, 11:00 Creston

Cutter wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 10:52:
Is there anyone who doesn't drink both?

I drink neither. Does that count?

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 6, 2013, 10:56 Creston

There isn't a single guy in the entire universe who is more convinced of his own grandeur than Pachter, and there isn't a single person in the universe who is less competent in their job.

Well done for continuing to give this guy a pulpit from which to spout the most inane bullshit, gaming industry.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
12. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 6, 2013, 01:11 Creston

Redmask wrote on Dec 5, 2013, 20:06:
Man you have some weird angst against people who stream videogames.

Angst. Okay. Yeah man, I totally lie awake worrying about it!

There is a lot of mental skill and dexterity involved at that level of play but most of the 'progamers' would be the first to tell you that they don't consider themselves like a football or baseball player.

I don't care what they consider themselves, really, free country and all, I just wish the tardbilly promoters would stop calling it a fucking sport. But then I wish they'd stop calling Golf a sport too. Or Darts. Or fucking poker.

They were happy with the contract, Riot changed it.

Which is illegal. So sue them. Or the contract had tiny print that said "You know, we can change this whenever we want and fuck you over at a whim." in which case they should've paid more attention to what they were signing. In any case, it sounds like a bad contract for them now, so get out of it.

You live and die by your viewers who aren't going to sit around watching you wank for 30 minutes (or WILL THEY?!).

I get that, but again, what Riot is saying is not unreasonable. If I pay you to promote product A, it's not unreasonable for me to not want you promoting product Z. Even if that means that you can't be on 24/7 doing whatever the hell you want. The large, large, large majority of the employed and the sponsored abide by these rules. I don't see why these guys need some kind of special sympathy or exemption because, OMG, they have to sit there for 20 minutes waiting on a queue. While getting paid. Most people have to sit in traffic jams to go to work, and they don't get paid for it.

This will hurt Riot Games too eventually as viewers will just get sick of it and move on, likely to watching other games.

Possibly. It's their prerogative to make dumb business decisions.

You don't really need to tell them not to sign if they don't like it, I doubt many will reup after this.

And thus the entire problem is solved. Not sure I understand why there's all the handwringing over this issue all over the internet.

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Dec 6, 2013, 00:59 Creston

Yeah, absolutely. Classy move by them, and I applaud it. (Well, figuratively speaking.)  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - FINAL FANTASY VIII
7. Re: Ships Ahoy - FINAL FANTASY VIII Dec 6, 2013, 00:57 Creston

Prez wrote on Dec 5, 2013, 22:32:
Wonder if its as bad of a copy over port that the steam ff7 was.

I thought that they fixed it up after it was released (added the music, etc.)?

Did they? Can someone confirm that?

Anyway, I always fucking LOVED FF8, so I'll probably pick this up.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Speedball 2 HD
3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Speedball 2 HD Dec 6, 2013, 00:56 Creston

Primalchrome wrote on Dec 5, 2013, 22:10:
I loved Speedball 2 : Brutal Deluxe on my Amiga.

Same here, though I only ever could promote from the 2nd league to the first league, and would then proceed to get absolutely murdered by everybody.

7.99 seems a bit pricey, to be honest, for what is essentially the same game. The graphics really don't look that HD to me.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Darkout
10. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Darkout Dec 5, 2013, 18:40 Creston

So is that other game the Terraria guy was working on?  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
9. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 5, 2013, 18:32 Creston

DarkCntry wrote on Dec 5, 2013, 17:40:
The thing is this though, with athletes in other sports it is rare for them to be banned from playing other types of sports, albeit playing other types of sports while you're playing you're hired role is difficult, but that's the thing...

Eh, no, they are actually quite often prohibited from playing other types of sports. Most MLB players have explicit clauses that says that if they get injured while playing basketball or football or a whole slew of other sports, they will not get paid while they are rehabbing that injury.

That's why so many athletes get injured "walking down the stairs" or other such bullshit. They tore their knee up while playing a game of pickup basketball, but if they admit to that, they don't get paid, so they come up with a bullshit story, pay a few buddies to be their alibi and voila.

The issue with this contract is that it's a haphazard attempt to limit exposure of players that Riot finds 'worthy' to sponsor from streaming any of the games listed ever.

Yeah. That's how sponsorship works. Ask a guy sponsored by Pepsi how Pepsi would feel if they ever saw him drinking Coke. Ask many, many, MANY of the professional athletes who go to the Olympics about the kinds of fucking hassle they have with regards to personal sponsors clashing with Team USA sponsors, and the crap they have to put up with to accomodate the 'deal' the sponsors make between themselves.

You don't hear baseball players getting fined because they were playing football do you? Or basketball players playing baseball...

Errr, yes, you do. You may need to go do some reading on this topic. They don't get fined typically, because the players just lie about it, but LeBron James can't just go play football when he feels like it, because the Miami Heat would have a fucking fit. Basically any athlete with a multi-year deal has a clause that prohibits him from doing a shitload of things.

And quite frankly, since they're paying those athletes millions of dollars, I find that a fairly reasonable argument.

When Ben Roethlisberger decided to be a tard and drive his motorcycle without a helmet, he was actually violating the clause in his contract that prohibited him from driving a motorcycle. Jake Plummer (IIRC) got injured doing a wheelie on his motorcycle, then tried to come up with a bunch of bullshit to explain why he'd gotten injured, except people had video of him pulling the wheelie. (My memory's a bit vague on this story, to be honest, so I may be remembering things wrong, and I don't feel like looking it up.)

The point is this, stop hiding behind some stupid reasoning and say "hey, if you want to be sponsored by us, you're only going to be allowed to stream what we want you to stream".

Isn't that exactly what they're saying?

DarkCntry wrote on Dec 5, 2013, 18:17:
You're missing the point, as was pointed out, queue times for the ones that would be sponsored by Riot are obnoxiously long. Many of these times can reach into half-hour bouts or longer, and while you're streaming you're stuck with two options, either sit there and watch the queue timer tick away which generally gets boring for the viewers who then leave, or shut down stream.

Oh noes, those poor E"sports" "athletes". They're being asked to sit there for 30 minutes and get paid? That's terrible.

Again, it's called GETTING SPONSORED.

Most of these players find themselves using streaming as a source of income, and if they aren't streaming it's highly improbable that the deal Riot makes with them will cover all of their costs, so they are finding themselves without content to stream simply because Riot cannot piece together a feasible solution.

Here's a simple solution: Tell Riot you no longer want to be sponsored by them, and stream to your heart's content.

My work contract prohibits me from working for someone else entirely, unless it's on a "favor" basis. And that "favor" basis, I had to negotiate with them. They pay me a pretty decent salary per year, so I can either choose to accept it, or I can go find another job.

The E-"athletes" have the same option. Don't like the deal Riot gives you? Find another fucking deal.

News Comments > Game Reviews
4. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 5, 2013, 17:39 Creston

Rigs wrote on Dec 5, 2013, 17:29:
Gonna leave this here in case anyone missed it when I posted it in the ITB...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE4jofI_rKY#t=112

Really something you guys should see if you haven't already....

=-Rigs-=

I did see it, actually, though most of the video the guy just seems to be waffling about how he thinks people shouldn't complain about a few 'books' (A few? Like 80% of the game was just BROKEN.) and then he launches into this tangent about waaah, the terrible things people say on the internet and how they wouldn't say stuff like that to people face to face and

I turned him off at that point. He seemed like this 90 year old wanker yelling at people for pointing out that his building is on fire.

The idea that he played for 120 hours and encountered basically no bugs is ludicrous and purely made up. There have been at least two missions that were simply broken from day one, requiring savegame hacks to get past, and several more that for the large majority of people simply don't work.

The trade system collapses on everyone's computer because it was never tested at normal speed (brilliant fucking move, Bernd), and it wasn't until 1.18 that it even works AT ALL for anyone.

If he enjoys the game, fine, I got no problem with that, but don't pretend like there are only a few bugs and people are just complaining for the sake of complaining, and don't pretend like long time X vets who hate this new system of highways and only four systems are just whining. That's just horseshit.

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 5, 2013, 17:32 Creston

nin wrote on Dec 5, 2013, 14:36:

They need to get their shit together.

Hey man, at least they no longer store passwords, usernames and credit card numbers in plaintext on an unprotected server!

We think...

22097 Comments. 1105 pages. Viewing page 70.
< Newer [ 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo