Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 22948 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 24, 2014, 01:30 Creston

Olympic skiing events should be difficult. Kostelic is very well known for creating difficult runs, and he's absolutely right. Some of the world cup slalom events are a joke.

As for Heroes returning, I think that's pretty cool. It was a good story in need of an ending.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
15. Re: On Sale Feb 24, 2014, 01:27 Creston

Cutter wrote on Feb 23, 2014, 16:28:
I hope they're following up on Sleepy Dogs. I want more of it!

They announced a sequel a few months back.

News Comments > Gearbox Sues 3D Realms Over Duke Nukem Rights
46. Re: Gearbox Sues 3D Realms Over Duke Nukem Rights Feb 24, 2014, 01:26 Creston

Oh, Broussard...

Gearbox bought the rights, this is a simple, clear-cut case.

News Comments > On Sale
9. Re: On Sale Feb 23, 2014, 15:18 Creston

Sleeping dogs is amazing. Buy it if you don't own it yet.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $39M; Procedural Generation Goal Announced
44. Re: Star Citizen Hits $39M; Procedural Generation Goal Announced Feb 23, 2014, 01:01 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Feb 22, 2014, 21:45:
One thing I'd like to point out with all this procedural talk is that Josh Parnell over at Limit Theory is doing procedural everything for less that $200K.

But he's a genius.

43. Re: Star Citizen Hits $39M; Procedural Generation Goal Announced Feb 23, 2014, 00:59 Creston

Slinkycatz wrote on Feb 22, 2014, 02:12:
Creston wrote on Feb 22, 2014, 01:09:
Procedural generation? Really?

Wasn't the fact that everything was hand-created one of the big selling points of SC?

Roberts must have been more impressed by Elite:Dangerous than we first believed.

What will be handcrafted are the systems, their planets as seen from space, main starports and cities.

What about the rest of the planet, however? That is where the procedural generation comes in. I imagine they want to create territory and sprinkle it with goodies such as ruins, caves, etc where you can find very rare items. When a vote was done long ago as to what players wanted to do most in the SC universe, 'Explore' got a huge share of the vote.

Ah, okay, that does make sense. I thought it to mean that they were looking into doing everything procedurally and eventually replacing stuff with it. But adding onto a planet makes sense.

Thanks for the explanation.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 23, 2014, 00:58 Creston

Beamer wrote on Feb 22, 2014, 21:16:
So now we have 3 studios doing CoD, with each getting 30 months to make a game. That should make them much, much, much better.

Wanna bet?

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
17. Re: Saturday Metaverse Feb 23, 2014, 00:55 Creston

Cutter wrote on Feb 22, 2014, 18:38:
I pay $35 per month for 15/1 DSL which is as good as it gets here for the price point and I still feel like I'm being robbed.

I pay $50 a month for 756k/256k. Over a fucking radio signal. Said signal bounces over three towers before it reaches the backbone, so any time any one of those towers has a problem, my internet access goes to the crapper.

Also, I've been with these guys for 7 years, and they've never once upgraded the speeds for anyone. When I ask them about it, they just flat-out say "No." Then offer to upgrade me to the 1024/256 tier, which is $79 a month.

So yeah, your connection really isn't that bad.

News Comments > Editorial on Kickstarter Communication
23. Re: Editorial on Kickstarter Communication Feb 23, 2014, 00:50 Creston

briktal wrote on Feb 22, 2014, 17:43:
Your backers are the people who preordered the game. Imagine someone saying that people who didn't preorder Game X *ARE*NOT*IMPORTANT*.

Yeah, no. They are not people who pre-ordered. They are people who put up money so the game could be made in the first place. Without people who pre-order, a game will still come out. Without people who back it on Kickstarter, a game never sees the light of day. It is a MASSIVE distinction.

As such, backers have far more say in things than a pre-order client, and if the (majority of) backers were happy with him splitting the thing up into two pieces, then that's all that matters.

Again, Brian Fargo and InXile understand this. Whenever some cockbag from the 'gaming media' whined about "HOW ARE YOU GOING TO MAKE A BORING OLD-SCHOOL RPG FUN FOR TEH CALL OF DUTY BROS, BRO?!?!!!" he simply said "I don't care if those people will like it or not. I'm making this game purely for the backers. If it sells more copies afterward, great. If it doesn't, I don't care. We got paid to make this game, and this is what they want."

That is the attitude to have on a Kickstarted game. "I'm being paid to make this. This is what I'm making, even if it sells zero copies afterward."

Now, as to why people who didn't back this game even whined about it being split up into two parts, that just goes beyond all concepts of logic and/or reasoning, but Tim Schafer should have just shrugged and said "Whatever."

So, sorry. If you didn't put up money to help make the game, you are not important. You don't get to have a say. You can choose to either buy the game once it's done, or you can choose to not buy it, and that's all you'll ever get to do.

Don't like it? Put up some money next time an old-school dev tries to get money together to make the kind of games us old-school gamers keep saying we want back.

(Btw, not saying YOU specifically, I'm referring just to people in general who didn't back it.)

2. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 22, 2014, 12:29 Creston

The sniper link was really cool. I found a few of them, totally fell for the fake hideout, and really only the guy hiding in the grass right underneath the tree's shade was incredibly obvious. (Because the grass where he was was a lot higher, and since it's in the shade for a good part of the day, there's no reason for the grass to be higher in that particular area.)

And all that is with knowing there are snipers there. Without that, I wouldn't have given any of these a second glance, except maybe the tall grass one.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
3. Re: Saturday Metaverse Feb 22, 2014, 12:12 Creston

"In stark contrast to our competitors, upon completion of this short rollout phase, these faster speeds and choices will be available to every Time Warner Cable customer in every area we serve in the Austin market, not just select neighborhoods, Kathy Brabson, the area vice president of operations for Time Warner Cable in Central Texas, said in the release.

Get fucking bent, you miserable bitch. Without Google Fiber coming to Austin, you would have done fucking JACK SHIT.

News Comments > Editorial on Kickstarter Communication
3. Re: Editorial on Kickstarter Communication Feb 22, 2014, 12:07 Creston

'Oh yeah, right! There's a bunch of people who hate the idea of what we're doing and are waiting to pounce on us if we make a single mistake'.

Again, why does this matter? Tim doesn't seem to get the idea that non-backers *ARE*NOT*IMPORTANT* when you've Kickstarted a game. Make whatever the people who already gave you money want you to make. And if they're fine with you releasing it in two parts, then release it in two parts, and to hell with the rest of the world. If they wanted a say, they should've put up some money.

InXile understands this far, far better than Double Fine does.

News Comments > Shadowrun: Dragonfall Beta Keys
2. Re: Shadowrun: Dragonfall Beta Keys Feb 22, 2014, 12:04 Creston

We've been so impressed with the level of service that our partners at GOG.com and Humble Store

Hurray for GOG and Humble Store. Those guys are awesome.

Anyway, pretty darn excited for the new campaign! And remember, guys: Rigger/Decker combo for ultimate carnage!

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
24. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 22, 2014, 01:14 Creston

Beamer wrote on Feb 21, 2014, 20:33:
I won't lie - when the board was down I found video game news dull. I don't just want to see the news, I like knowing what a group of largely intelligent people think about the news.

Yup, completely agree. I briefly skimmed when the comments were down, then proceeded to be bored for the next three hours.

26. Re: Star Citizen Hits $39M; Procedural Generation Goal Announced Feb 22, 2014, 01:09 Creston

Procedural generation? Really?

Wasn't the fact that everything was hand-created one of the big selling points of SC?

Roberts must have been more impressed by Elite:Dangerous than we first believed.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Rambo The Video Game
24. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Rambo The Video Game Feb 21, 2014, 18:48 Creston

Julio wrote on Feb 21, 2014, 17:37:
I would think hipsters like Steam, given it's trendy.

It's been around for over a decade. I'm not sure trendy means what you think it means.

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 21, 2014, 12:58 Creston

Necrophob wrote on Feb 21, 2014, 12:39:
RE: Demand for Linux skills rises.

I wish we had a Linux guy here...application server shit itself over too many open file handles, and who had to dig around the kernel parameters? This guy!

Why do you have a Linux server if you don't have a Linux guy? Confused

4. Shrugs for Silicon Valley Feb 21, 2014, 12:57 Creston

Christ, can that fucking jackass Davidoff whine any more? Last I checked, Silicon Valley hadn't caused the world's biggest market crash since the Great Depression, hadn't caused millions of people to lose their jobs (in the US alone), and hadn't wiped trillions of dollars from people's retirement plans / 401(k)s.

But no, EVIL SILICON VALLEY. LARRY PAGE MAKES MONEY. Shakefist

What a fucking cuntstool.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Rambo The Video Game
1. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Rambo The Video Game Feb 21, 2014, 12:53 Creston

Five dismissive wanks.  

News Comments > Schafer Confirms Broken Age Act 2 Funded
1. Re: Schafer Confirms Broken Age Act 2 Funded Feb 21, 2014, 12:51 Creston

Cool news.

As for the internet hate, just ignore it. If your backers were fine with it, who the fuck cares about everyone else?

22948 Comments. 1148 pages. Viewing page 70.
< Newer [ 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo