Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 22086 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ] Older >

News Comments > On Sale
35. Re: On Sale Dec 30, 2013, 00:52 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 23:07:
Shok wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 17:33:
Euro truck sim 2 is pretty cool. I haven't played it in a few weeks but it's a relaxing sim. And trying to back in an 18 wheeler to a loading dock is much harder than I imagined lol. I usually just give up and let it do it automatically...

Has anyone been playing it with a controller? Looking for nonviolent games we can play on the TV with the kids (or at least, in front of them) during the day.

You kinda have to play it with a controller or a wheel. I mean, it's doable with m/kb, but it's pretty frustrating. With a controller it's smooth, and with a wheel it'd obviously be silk butter.

I've played 80+ hours or so with a controller and it works great.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10
20. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 29, 2013, 20:28 Creston

mag wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 18:43:
Cutter wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 14:31:
Wolfox wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 11:59:
So glad to see Anno 2070 in that list. It's a fantastic and mostly overlooked game.

Also, glad Starbound is there. It's a great game already, and it's not nearly complete yet.

Anno is a great game, but that's Ubisoft's fault for loading it up with ODRM. Had it not had that it would have been HUGE!

I'm not sure how many people actually pay attention to that. They certainly lost my money because of it, because I did check whether it still had it, but when I mentioned it here most people said that they thought it had been removed. I doubt lay people are even aware of what sort of DRM it had in the first place.

It's been removed to the extent that while you still get a better experience if you're online, you can at least play while offline. It also means that when their server is having fits (which happens with distressing frequency because Ubisoft refuses to put 5 dollars into their hardware), you don't get kicked out of the game you bought.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
19. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 29, 2013, 20:26 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 15:22:
Yeah, I'm not sure what to make of those stats. 20m in sales overall feels right, as does $1.2 in total revenue, but only 1.5m in sales on the PC doesn't, given that it has been among the top Steam titles consistently for two years on a weekly basis. That would suggest Steam is doing a lot less business than I thought it was.

Unless those 1.5 million PC players are all doing nothing except downloading every single mod ever made from the nexus, there have to be a LOT more people to be affecting the nexus sites so much. Skyrim has basically forced them to invest $300K (and counting) into new hardware because the Skyrim site alone is murdering their entire infrastructure.

Also, for Steam to make 1.5 billion dollars in revenue and for Skyrim to be in the top 10 consistently for nearly two years, means a lot more people likely bought it than 90 million dollars' worth.

All in all, I'm going to say that the linked site pulled those numbers completely out of their ass in a desperate attempt to not have to admit that Skyrim on the PC outsold the console versions by a wide margin.

News Comments > On Sale
23. Re: On Sale Dec 29, 2013, 20:19 Creston

Cutter wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 17:04:
Creston wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 14:54:
6.50 for Euro Truck Simulator 2? THAT'S A STEAL!

STEAL IT NOW!!!

Ok man, I grabbed it you truck pinmp! In fact i grabbed the gold package and also snagged the Halloween paint jobs DLC. I'm in, man! CONVOY!!!

CHU CHU!!!!

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
4. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Dec 29, 2013, 14:56 Creston

Cutter wrote on Dec 29, 2013, 14:50:
A rebellion would be if they all said they were going back to Win7 and refuse to touch Win8 in its current state.

Didn't MS stop Win7 OEM sales already?

In any case, it's good they're doing something. Why they've stood by silently and watch Microsoft rape the PC in favor of a futile effort to battle with Apple/Android on the tablet market is beyond me.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Dec 29, 2013, 14:54 Creston

6.50 for Euro Truck Simulator 2? THAT'S A STEAL!

STEAL IT NOW!!!

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: I dont mean this disrespectfully, just curious really Dec 28, 2013, 15:35 Creston

DukeFNukem wrote on Dec 28, 2013, 14:28:
But isn't something like 'Cobra' insurance that you can purchase for a monthly cost even when you are no longer working. Why wouldn't he have insurance unless he had the mentality of a 20 something saying 'I'll never need insurance so why pay for it'?

COBRA isn't applicable here, as COBRA merely states that you are entitled to stay covered under an employer's health insurance for up to 18 months after you are fired. (However, since you need to pay for the entire amount yourself, and it thus adds up to 600-700 dollars per month, it's usually much cheaper to just get a personal policy.)

Since he's still working for Blizzard, he's still covered under their health care insurance, and has no need for COBRA.

Also, what about Obamacare kicking in beginning of next year? Maybe that will take care of some of his expenses.

Obamacare would only come into play if he didn't have insurance, which he does.

Oh, I just caught the part where you stated that 'insurance only partially covers'. That's true from what I know also but that 'partially' is generally in the 50-80 percent range which is pretty good if you need it. 80 percent being the most favorable coverage amount.

80% sounds great, until you realize cancer treatment costs somewhere in the vicinity of several MILLION dollars. Now, his insurance will have a stop-loss limit likely of somewhere near $5 to $7K, but even so, that's 7K you have to cough up yourself while you're not getting paid. (That's how the whole story began, his short term disability is up and his long term disability won't kick in for awhile yet.)

Edit: I would think I would disagree with you about him not making that much money. My God, Warcraft I, II, III, Diablo I, II, III, Starcraft I and II, World of Warcraft. These guys as a whole are in the billion dollar boys club. If he had a 401K plus all the royalties they get for their games that are probably still selling very well. He should have some decent money unless he was careless with his money.

That would assume that he's been around for that long, AND that he somehow was in the group that got royalties of some kind. More likely he's slowly worked his way up in the company until his current position and he's just salaried. As a senior engineer, I would reckon he makes somewhere between 100 and 200K. Great salary of course, but it doesn't automatically equate to him having stashed tens of thousands of dollars away. For all we know he may have had no savings at all.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: I dont mean this disrespectfully, just curious really Dec 28, 2013, 14:10 Creston

Unless you have hundreds of thousands of dollars put away, cancer treatment will wipe you out (financially) in a hurry. You're not working so you have no income, your normal bills all continue, and you're spending thousands and thousands of dollars on treatments that your insurance only partially covers.

I doubt the guy was making enough to cover it all for an extended period of time.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
3. Dipshit judge makes dipshit ruling Dec 28, 2013, 14:07 Creston

protects bulk telephony metadata is ultimately a question of reasonableness."

"I find it totally reasonable that the NSA needs to collect phone data of every single US citizen, without any kind of warrant, in an effort to maybe find something shady, perhaps.

"I also find it reasonable that my head is stuffed so far up my ass that I can actually see my stomach!"

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Dec 28, 2013, 14:03 Creston

Bobby Kotick and Mike Morhaime likely donated 0 dollars.

News Comments > Friday Consolidation
17. Re: R* Verified Jobs Dec 28, 2013, 14:02 Creston

harlock wrote on Dec 28, 2013, 03:14:
Krovven wrote on Dec 27, 2013, 21:58:
For those that don't know...To sum up the issues,

yeh that all sounds pretty shitty

not really hopeful it will be fixed for PC either, but im still gonna get it anyways

I imagine they'll at least get most of the exploits fixed for the PC version, but even so most of GTO is really pretty damn grindy. Like Krovven mentioned, they brutally nerfed the payout for a lot of stuff, so just to get money together for a decent car will take you dozens of hours (including the time it takes you to get to a level where missions actually pay good money.)

It's still fun, it's cool to get together with crew and do survivals or just go on some funky Learjet races through the mountains and such, but Rockstar is slowly letting the rest of the persistent experience turn to shit and doesn't much seem to care, either.

News Comments > On Sale
52. Re: On Sale Dec 27, 2013, 21:38 Creston

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 27, 2013, 18:53:
Like mod detector literally disables all your DLC :/ And I use http://www.anno2170-arrc.de/ ;p Best mod for Anno 2070 imo, but you need cookie

I'll give it a look. Been wanting to replay it again at some point.

News Comments > On Sale
51. Re: On Sale Dec 27, 2013, 21:36 Creston

Quinn wrote on Dec 27, 2013, 21:20:
Creston wrote on Dec 27, 2013, 16:33:
Jerykk wrote on Dec 27, 2013, 15:24:
Really? I heard that Leviathan has some pretty significant story stuff too.

Not really.

spoiler: Leviathan basically tells you that the Reapers are a broken tool that they put into place to try to prevent organics and synthetics going to war, and then it turned on them.

Which isn't all that much different from what the Catalyst tells you, but hey, it's hard to do much with a shitty story premise.

Oh, this reminds me of them great memes that popped up from everywhere after the ME3 crap.

"Reapers are built to annihilate organics and synthetics, so that organics and synthetics don't end up annihilating eachother."

That's just dumb writing.

Mac Fucking Walters FOR THE WIN!

13. Re: Friday Consolidation Dec 27, 2013, 21:34 Creston

harlock wrote on Dec 27, 2013, 17:17:
Creston wrote on Dec 27, 2013, 12:40:
Yeah, don't worry about those money hack issues, guys! Even though everyone is now driving around in tanks and the general world map has become such a griefer clusterfuck that the only way you can really even still play is on Crew-Only maps, we've got it under control! Trust us! We're professionals!

waiting for PC version here so i havent played it yet

but im way more interested in the MP matches rather than the random open world stuff... that "base assault" thing they are doing sounds cool

but ultimately im really hyped for that MP heist thing they promised... but it would be best if it was fully MP - as in, group of players is thieves, and group of players is cops/security - yeh that would be the shit

I'd like that, but who knows what the hell they're doing with the heists. "They're coming soon!" (note:By soon we mean around six months down the road.)

News Comments > Homeworld HD/CE Survey
24. Re: Homeworld HD/CE Survey Dec 27, 2013, 21:31 Creston

harlock wrote on Dec 27, 2013, 16:56:
but at the same time, the ease of patching these days leads to a mess like BF4 and again egosoft as well, plus plenty of others - where the prevailing ideology is "ship now, patch later" and then it doesnt work out because its a fucking stupid idea..

Yeah, that's sadly the downside of it. :\

Liked your tactics for MW though. Never tried that! :-doh-:

News Comments > Boxing Day Metaverse
9. Re: Boxing Day Metaverse Dec 27, 2013, 16:38 Creston

nin wrote on Dec 27, 2013, 11:52:
I honestly feel bad for my UPS driver, which is why I didn't complain. I use the shit out of Prime, and he gets to deal with a ton of it. I've had him deliver stuff between 9-10 at night before, and I know he doesn't work that late for fun.

Nope, he doesn't. Cut your courier guy some slack around the holidays. It's NOT a fun time to be a courier.

News Comments > On Sale
48. Re: On Sale Dec 27, 2013, 16:37 Creston

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 27, 2013, 14:51:
(advanced) Research and Arc Modules (not just storage)

Okay, I'll accept that, as I don't recall whether it works or not.

Unlocking of research and buildings of factions by playing campaign missions (You can not "rank up" offline)

Fair enough, though I find that to be fairly pointless anyway. The amount of grinding you have to do to get a pretty ark is insane.

*None* of the DLC works offline including the expansion whether you own it or not

That can't be true, as I've played it offline many times, and all my DLC stuff is simply there, including the deep ocean stuff.

I think it's fair to say 90% in that case, as arc modules and island modules are a MAJOR gameplay element.

Semantics about 90% aside, I agree that if you can't slot up arc modules, that's pretty damn annoying.

And you can't play the event maps and thus can't unlock any of the event stuff....

Which is mostly pointless, but alright.

But yes, you can play the normal infinite mode without any fancy features, but for a true Anno fan that is 10% of the game. Without island and arc modules you are severely limited.

Really? I thought the real die-hard fans didn't play anything BUT infinite mode, as most videos I've watched of guys playing it, they're all snooty about the missions and how stupid they are.

News Comments > On Sale
47. Re: On Sale Dec 27, 2013, 16:33 Creston

Jerykk wrote on Dec 27, 2013, 15:24:
Really? I heard that Leviathan has some pretty significant story stuff too.

Not really.

spoiler: Leviathan basically tells you that the Reapers are a broken tool that they put into place to try to prevent organics and synthetics going to war, and then it turned on them.

Which isn't all that much different from what the Catalyst tells you, but hey, it's hard to do much with a shitty story premise.

6. Re: Friday Consolidation Dec 27, 2013, 16:29 Creston

nin wrote on Dec 27, 2013, 14:04:
Did RDR have these sort of issues? I thought everyone spoke well of that one, so I'm surprised they suddenly have issues with a later multi portion.

I don't think so, but I never played that mp.

News Comments > Homeworld HD/CE Survey
16. Re: Homeworld HD/CE Survey Dec 27, 2013, 16:28 Creston

harlock wrote on Dec 27, 2013, 16:15:
DangerDog wrote on Dec 27, 2013, 15:28:
Remember when games came with this stuff without trying to milk more money out of you?

I still have a really cool art book Dynamix put in the Starsiege box, and how about that original binder manual that came with Falcon.

Those were the good ol days

/rocking chair creaks

back in my day, we didnt have no gosh-dern patches and all that rigmarole - if it was broken, thats how you played the doggone thing, dadgummit! now you got these whippersnappers... *mumble* Coffee

It's funny, but really that was kinda the way things were. If stuff was broken, you just basically put up with it, because what else were you going to do?

I got Origin to send me completely new game floppies (3.5 inch!) of Ultima 3 for the Amiga because I kept managing to totally break mine (to the point where new games wouldn't even function.) I'd send them a fax explaining the problem, and a few weeks later they'd mail me a new game floppy.

They also sent me patches for Ultima 7 Black Gate after the game would mysteriously stop drawing about half the entire world.

I'm glad Steam makes things a lot easier nowadays.

22086 Comments. 1105 pages. Viewing page 52.
< Newer [ 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo