Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 25582 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 1, 2015, 21:13 Creston

Maybe you’re not the Ranger who can do 100 pushups, 100 sit-ups and run the 2-mile inside of 10 minutes

Why would a data-jockey be required to have such an extreme level of fitness? That makes literally no sense, so it would not surprising if that is the Army's current take on it, apparently.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Server "Strike" Plans
19. Re: Battlefield 4 Server Jan 1, 2015, 17:21 Creston

This won't achieve shit as Dice/EA don't give a flying fuck about server admins. On the flipside, I do agree with them that if they don't do anything at all, it's pretty much a guarantee that nothing will change. So kudos for trying.

Here's how you make Dice and EA take notice: DON'T BUY THE NEXT FUCKING BATTLEFIELD GAME. Or at least wait until they've patched it 42 times and it's marginally playable.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 31, 2014, 16:28 Creston

You know, that same cable modem that lets them use your equipment to provide paid wifi to their customers. For that privilege of them abusing your shit, you now pay 120 dollars a fucking year.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
30. Re: Researchers: We can detect life on other worlds through its [sic] vibrations Dec 31, 2014, 16:06 Creston

It was roughly 30 years ago since I last took any German classes in school, so I happily attribute the snafu to my failing memory.

And the cases were fucking nightmare for me. I didn't have an issue with making sentences and figuring out tenses and proper grammar etc, since Dutch and German are quite a bit alike anyway, but after I'd written the sentence I'd always have to spend like a minute trying to figure out the proper fucking case.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 31, 2014, 16:04 Creston

Happy New Year, fellas (and gals, if there still are any.)  

News Comments > EA: No Origin Breach
17. Re: EA: No Origin Breach Dec 31, 2014, 16:01 Creston

Redmask wrote on Dec 31, 2014, 13:12:
Creston wrote on Dec 31, 2014, 12:40:
Necrophob wrote on Dec 31, 2014, 11:32:
Change your pw regularly, use randomly generated pw, use keypass, and keep the keypass datafile on a usb (pw wallets are the new target).

Keypass only integrates in browsers though, doesn't it? It wouldn't auto-populate your random password in Origin/Uplay/Steam for you?

Yeah. I just copy and paste from the vault, both remember your shit for awhile anyway.

That's what I thought. Thanks.

10. Re: EA: No Origin Breach Dec 31, 2014, 12:40 Creston

Necrophob wrote on Dec 31, 2014, 11:32:
Change your pw regularly, use randomly generated pw, use keypass, and keep the keypass datafile on a usb (pw wallets are the new target).

Keypass only integrates in browsers though, doesn't it? It wouldn't auto-populate your random password in Origin/Uplay/Steam for you?

27. Re: Researchers: We can detect life on other worlds through its [sic] vibrations Dec 31, 2014, 12:06 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Dec 31, 2014, 05:17:
The reason English is such a jumbled mess has to do with it's history:

Its history

I've studied English, Dutch, French and German.

There are some complex things in English (in very, very advanced English), but by and large it has a fairly clearly defined ruleset and sticks to it. Verbs usually go together, for example. On a basic level, English is very simple.

Now try Dutch. Verbs go "wherever they sound right." How do you know whether it sounds right? Well, it just does. But if you think it sounds right to you and doesn't to most others? Then you obviously got it wrong.

Same with something as simple as a Definite Article. There's only three of them in Dutch (De, Het, Een) but each noun has its own specific accompanying definite article according to no actually known set of rules. It's what drives my wife the most crazy in her efforts to learn Dutch. She hardly ever gets it right because there is no logic to it; it's just what the Dutch people have apparently decided over the ages is "right." And then if you turn a word into a smaller version of itself by adding "tje" at the end, the definite article sometimes changes because... reasons? It's De Stoel (the chair), but Het Stoeltje. (the little chair.)

As for pronunciation, heh. Try saying Scheveningen. Here is an absolutely wonderful video of a poor girl trying to pronounce some of the marvelous words the Dutch language has. And let me say that for someone not born a native Dutch speaker, she probably does it better than 99.999999999% of the rest of the world, but she is still incredibly off on some words (Schreeuw really seems to mess her up.)

Or, let's speak about "D and T". Words that end in a "T" sound can be spelled with either a D or a T at the end. Depending which one you use in based on whether it's plural, single, what tense you use, etc. And then there are words that will have a D AND a t. Ik Word. (I become), jij Wordt (you become).

And then if you go into a particular past indicative/subjunctive, whether something is spelled with a D or a T has to do with 'T Kofschip. If the word ends in a consonant that's not in 'T Kofschip, it gets a D. Otherwise it gets a T. Makes sense, right?

(I loved this particular exception at the end: Because of the idiosyncrasies of Dutch spelling, some forms are spelled in unexpected ways. The past tense forms of proeven and blozen are written with f and s, as Dutch spelling rules permit the letters v and z only at the beginning of a syllable; however the pronunciation remains /v/ and /z/. Words may not end in a double consonant, so the past participles gerust, geland and gered do not get an additional -d.)

Or how about the joy of German that's the Four Cases. Memorizing those four fucking tables and then applying them correctly drove me insane in high school.

(Eraser, did this change or something? I seem to remember me having learned a different table in school. Der Des Dem Den; Die Der Den Die; Das Des Dem Das as the first three? Probably my memory is just faulty. The weird thing is that if you google it, it auto-populates to Der Des Dem Den, and several of the links on the first page mention Der Des Dem Den, yet this page says it's Der Den Dem Des?)

So, I'm gonna go ahead and disagree. English is incredibly easy to learn. I spoke FLUENT (not FLUID, dammit!) English by the time I was 12, and it wasn't spoken in my home. Try finding a kid who speaks fluent Dutch by 12 who didn't speak it at home. That girl whose video I linked to earlier is actually pretty damn amazing in how well she speaks Dutch. She has a video where she does the whole thing in Dutch, and she actually does entire sentences without making a grammatical mistake, which is AMAZING. I've yet to meet a non-native Dutch speaker who can do an entire complex sentence without fucking up the grammar somewhere. And you can see how badly she struggles with trying to make these sentences, and judging by the dates on her videos, she's been trying to learn Dutch for the past 10+ years.

English can be very complex at its most advanced. There are some rules in English that I've never even heard of, and I'd like to think my English is pretty damn good, seeing as how I write books in it and all. But English is incredibly easy to become somewhat proficient in to the point where you can go to an english speaker and at least make yourself understood.

It'll never be as difficult as a language that does a lot of things really without rules but "well, that's just the way it IS."

This comment was edited on Dec 31, 2014, 12:39.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 31, 2014, 11:21 Creston

Ah, so that's why Comcast wants to take them over. So THEY can be top dog again.  

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XV PC Online Hint
1. Re: FINAL FANTASY XV PC Online Hint Dec 31, 2014, 11:20 Creston

Because what everyone is clamoring for is YET ANOTHER FF GAME THAT'S ONLINE.

These guys are truly clueless. Maybe you should make another 13 sequel, since that world is so well loved.

6. Re: EA: No Origin Breach Dec 31, 2014, 11:18 Creston

No issues here either, but I may just go and change my pw to be safe anyway.  

21. Re: Researchers: We can detect life on other worlds through its [sic] vibrations Dec 30, 2014, 21:56 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 16:26:
All of this is to say that English has one of the most difficult sets of grammatical rules on the planet.

Oh, please. Not even close.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
6. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 30, 2014, 21:54 Creston

The fact that "people" are apparently equating marriage solely to sex may be more of an underlying culprit there.  

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
4. Re: Evening Safety Dance Dec 30, 2014, 21:52 Creston

The NSA spends billions of dollars on trying to penetrate VPNs. Meanwhile, none of the asswallets that work there can be bothered to do five seconds of work on our nations pathetically retarded cyber-security infrastructure.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
8. Re: Evening Mobilization Dec 30, 2014, 21:49 Creston

OMG PEOPLE ARE BUYING TABLETS, QUICK, LET'S FOCUS EVERYTHING ON TABLETS!

*five years later*

WHAT, PEOPLE AREN'T BUYING TABLETS ANYMORE??? NOW WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO?!

- Basically every single tech CEO everywhere, ever.

News Comments > Shadowrun Hong Kong Revealed
6. Re: Shadowrun Hong Kong Revealed Dec 30, 2014, 21:47 Creston

I'm very, VERY excited. The idea alone of an adventure the caliber of Dragonfall in Hong Kong's setting makes me gigglefart with glee.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 30, 2014, 13:28 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Dec 29, 2014, 14:28:
The plane shot down over Ukraine: flying over a war zone? Are you kidding me?

Flying over the Ukraine rather than going around it saved them like 8% in fuel. Which thus makes it a very common thing to do for corporations. Save money AT ALL EXPENSE. 300 dead people? Eh. you saved 8% in fuel!!

12. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 30, 2014, 13:25 Creston

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 12:03:
Cutter wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 11:57:
Gee and the Tesla is still only 110k entry price. What a deal for a 400 miles. Rolleyes

Range is a problem, but for me the bigger problem would be that you can the throw the car away if you ever leave the battery unplugged during -10°C for longer than 24 hours. Ie, when you have a power outage for a day, you can throw your tesla.. away.

Great car, would instantly buy .. not

You'd just put a battery minder on it. Not a huge deal, but you do have to remember to do that.

On the flipside, when it's extremely cold, I also have to remember to go outside and de-ice my heatpump as well as my septic tank sprinklers, so it's just one of those things that you know you have to do when it's very cold.

And how many people who can afford a 100K Tesla S leave it outside of their garage, really?

11. Re: Researchers: We can detect life on other worlds through its [sic] vibrations Dec 30, 2014, 13:23 Creston

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 11:52:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 11:30:
rocketpcguy wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 11:04:
what should the headline be to be correct (i.e. what should be in place of "its")?

I'm wondering that myself. It's=It is while Its=possessive pronoun.

worlds = their
world = its

It's sad that the GERMAN guy has to explain proper English to you guys.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
10. Re: Sunday Metaverse Dec 29, 2014, 13:10 Creston

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Dec 28, 2014, 19:40:
I thought the hyperbolic and rather threatening language was the more interesting bit. All in all though, the thing reads like something that Kim Jong Un would have said in The Interview
"If the US persists in American-style arrogant, high-handed, and gangster-like arbitrary practices despite repeated warnings, the US should bear in mind that its failed political affairs will face inescapable deadly blows."

Yeah that was pretty hilarious. "We'll hit you with inescapable deadly blows! As soon as we can figure out how to actually get those deadly blows to cross the Pacific Ocean!"

North Korea is basically one of those little fucking yipping dogs. All it ever does is fucking yip.

25582 Comments. 1280 pages. Viewing page 52.
< Newer [ 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo