Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Paul

Real Name Paul   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Creston
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 22:32
Total Comments 23766 (Jedi)
User ID 15604

User comment history
< Newer [ 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
25. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 23, 2014, 18:29 Creston

DrSquick wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 15:19:
Not sure if you all have seen the reports, but someone has reverse engineered the traffic going from the Comcast router to the Comcast service, and is selling an image that will run on a Linux machine and emulate the Comcast public SSID, but records the username and password.

Imagine the amount of people who's username is their email address, and they have the same password for Comcast as they do for their bank and email account. I doubt many people will be using the public Comcast SSID; but man that is going to be a hellstorm if people start getting hacked because people are spoofing the Comcast routers and being a man-in-the-middle to get passwords.

Well, that took an absolutely ENORMOUS amount of time to get hacked...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 23, 2014, 18:27 Creston

Another example of an obviously well-tested game.

*looks up publisher*
Ah, EA. of course.

News Comments > Crytek Denies Bankruptcy Rumor
1. Re: Crytek Denies Bankruptcy Rumor Jun 23, 2014, 18:26 Creston

Homefront: The Revolution, Hunt: Horrors of the Gilded Age, Arena of Fate, and Warface

Fuck me that's a sorry list of games... Hunt MIGHT be cool, but the rest, ugh.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
36. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 23, 2014, 18:21 Creston

Quboid wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 15:20:
I wonder how many of the people who think that a football/soccer match consists of players pretending to be injured have ever watched a full match. Or 30 seconds of a match.

Dude, come on. Every four fucking seconds there's a player lying on the ground with his face scrunched up, like he's got his fucking shin bone sticking out through his skin. Any attacker who gets robbed of the ball or misses or whatever in the penalty box automatically just flops down in the hope of drawing a penalty from Yet Another Blind Referee.

It gets very boring and very irritating after awhile. Fifa really should do about something it, because it's just plain fucking stupid.

There's a reason the San Antonio Spurs are the best floppers in the NBA. They were all taught by Manu Ginobili, who was a (semi?) pro soccer player for a few years before he got drafted by the NBA.

35. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 23, 2014, 18:17 Creston

Saints Row 4 on sale for 10 bucks. Sweeeet.

Hmmm... 18 bucks for the franchise pack. I already have all the SR3 stuff, but that's a ton of DLC and SR1 and 2... Ah fuck it.

18. Re: Frontier Calls Comcast's Open Wi-Fi Push 'Disrespectful' Jun 23, 2014, 15:09 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 14:24:
I would say there's no GREATER danger that you'd be hacked. You can be hacked regardless of this feature.

You're bypassing the initial "do not let outside signals in" firewall protection. In essence they're setting up your router with a DMZ. And sure, they claim it's on a separate VLAN that's completely shielded, but then Comcast's competence definitely comes into question.

If I had one of these routers, I'd RUN to get that shit turned off.

News Comments > Pixel Piracy Dev Suggests Piracy, Wins
21. Re: Pixel Piracy Dev Suggests Piracy, Wins Jun 23, 2014, 13:58 Creston

Verno wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 13:22:
That's straight from Bethesda though and they would know.

It isn't, though, right? It came from some website who claimed it came straight from Bethesda, and said website also claimed they got sales numbers from Steam. Neither of them give out sales numbers (in Bethesda's case at least not per platform.)

just being on the Steam top10 list isn't a guarantee of millions of sales or something. I think the volume level of steam sales would surprise you. We've seen a few devs up near the top who say they sold 300,000 which is nothing to scoff at but certainly not millions.

That's for a dev who leads the sales in one week. Skyrim was in the top ten for TWO YEARS. DayZ reached a million sales after being the top seller for.. what, two months?

3 million copies simply doesn't add up. Sorry, but it's my pet peeve.

(If fucking Todd Howard would just admit that PC sales of Skyrim have been fucking gargantuan, I could let this matter rest already!!!)

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 23, 2014, 13:54 Creston

Holland! *clap clap clap*

News Comments > EA Investigating Incorrect BF3 Bans
8. Re: EA Investigating Incorrect BF3 Bans Jun 23, 2014, 13:12 Creston

Jivaro wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 13:06:
Out of curiosity, does Punkbuster make money for it's developers in a flat one time license fee or does it make money over time based on amount of users or is it something else?

I have no idea. It's so terrible that I can't imagine anyone paying money for it, but publishers are realllllllllllly fucking dumb, so who knows. I don't put it past EA to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars in licensing fees for a completely broken product.

News Comments > MS: "We Are Continuing to Support the GFWL Service"
37. Re: MS: Jun 23, 2014, 13:10 Creston

Beamer wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 12:50:
So why does Microsoft keep recommitting to PC gaming? Because some poor asshole has the job of doing so. Microsoft needs its hands in PC gaming somehow. They need to keep making quality versions of Direct3D, and they need to dabble here and there.

Why? Why do they need to? There's no money to be had there, so why do they feel they NEED to? I mean, they obviously do for whatever weird fucked-up reason, since they keep paying some jackass money to bleat this kind of fairy tale once every six months, but WHY do they do it?

Maybe it's a Milton scenario. They've forgotten they have the guy on the payroll, and so he just keeps saying something every six months to sorta justify his job.

15. Re: Frontier Calls Comcast's Open Wi-Fi Push 'Disrespectful' Jun 23, 2014, 13:04 Creston

Beamer wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 12:58:
Creston wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 12:06:
Comcast users can use it for free. Anyone else can connect to it, and then has to sign up through a portal page and pay whatever it is they're charging. It's undoubtedly not cheap.

That definitely changes my opinion some. I thought it was exclusively for Comcast customers.

It just makes it worse, imo. First Comcast charges you for your internet package, probably 40-50 bucks a month. They charge you rent for that fucking modem, what, probably 5 or 10 bucks? And then they use the equipment you pay them for, to put up a free wifi network (free for them), so they can get some more fucking revenue from it.

The 11% of American people that are in favor of Comcast and TWC merging have to be brainwashed or something.

News Comments > EA Investigating Incorrect BF3 Bans
6. Re: EA Investigating Incorrect BF3 Bans Jun 23, 2014, 13:01 Creston

Fucking punkbuster shit. Far Cry 3 recently reinstalled it on my system for God knows what reason.

The only reason devs still use it has to be because it costs a dollar to implement or something. It doesn't do shit for its intended use, and instead just causes crap on a frequent basis.

News Comments > Pixel Piracy Dev Suggests Piracy, Wins
18. Re: Pixel Piracy Dev Suggests Piracy, Wins Jun 23, 2014, 12:59 Creston

InBlack wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 05:40:
This guy is a riot, quote from Reddit:

Question, how many copies have they sold?

Alex:
Steam doesn't want me to say, so I can say we've sold over one hundred thousand so far

And he's not in the top 10 in sales. That's why I keep saying that the belief that Skyrim only sold a few million copies on the PC is ridiculous, because the top sellers on Steam are selling hundreds of thousands of copies per polling interval (a week, I believe?)

Sorry, kind of a tangent there, but in any case, this guys is awesome.

13. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 23, 2014, 12:54 Creston

Jivaro wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 12:27:
You can easily disable the hotspot service on your cable modem, just not as easily as most people would expect or like.

And you're a tech-savvy guy, or at least I assume you are. 99% of Comcast's customers will have no clue this is even being turned on, or that there is an option to turn it off again, which is exactly what Comcast wants.

And Cutter, it SHOULD be illegal, but it's not, because apparently if you do business with (or are a customer of) a corporation in the US, that means said corporation is free to all-but-rape you, since it says so in the EULA. (and it's likely not legal, but nobody has the desire or the money to challenge this kind of horseshit in court.)

News Comments > Ubisoft "Confident" in Unified Assassin's Creed Unity Launch
10. Re: Ubisoft Jun 23, 2014, 12:51 Creston

Kevin Lowe wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 12:24:
Or, it could be that there's a more complex critical path, involving platform certification (not required on PC), scheduling a much larger (and therefore more difficult to reschedule) physical media order, and much more costly financial penalties (updating marketing) if you miss a date on the console side?

So if they can manage all that, why can't they do the easy-peasy PC launch at the same day then?

Ubisoft delays the AC games because they believe it will help curtail piracy. Whether it does or not is not a discussion I find at all interesting, but that's why they do it.

They will do so again with Unity. They've been promising this "no, no, it will launch at the same time!" thing since Revelation, and a few weeks before launch, they'll put out an announcement that says they need some extra time to 'polish' the PC version.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 23, 2014, 12:16 Creston

nin wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 12:04:
Vocabulary test. 86% - Yes to 86% of existing words, Yes to 0% of nonwords.

80% here. Yes to 83% of the existing words. Yes to 3% of the nonwords.

I got 72%, but several words where I said it wasn't a word, they pretend it's a word, even though they spell it wrong. Eveningwear, for example, is two words. It's "evening wear." Putting them together doesn't somehow make it an actual word. Their 'scientific' study is definitely well thought out.

But it's from a university in Belgium, so what can you expect. :p

10. Re: Frontier Calls Comcast's Open Wi-Fi Push 'Disrespectful' Jun 23, 2014, 12:06 Creston

Beamer wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 11:56:
I guess it would make sense that it's one access point. It just seemed like something beyond Comcast's competence to do that. But it's definitely rolled out here, as I mentioned, I see it mixed in with all the other routers in my building.

Okay, yeah, then you just see the one router. (the nearest one to you.) All others are access points and are hidden by default.

As for Comcast being able to do something that technical, it probably helps that that's just the default behavior for a wifi network with multiple access points.

And you can use it with no account? I thought it was for Comcast users only?

Comcast users can use it for free. Anyone else can connect to it, and then has to sign up through a portal page and pay whatever it is they're charging. It's undoubtedly not cheap.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Why is that patch 10GB? Jun 23, 2014, 11:52 Creston

"blablabla nonsense blablabla bonus for players blabla lazy progra... shit. Look, DLC, okay? IT'S DLC!"

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 23, 2014, 11:46 Creston

In other sports news, can you believe that poor kid that was trying out for the NBA draft, only to get told he has some kind of one in a billion genetic disease that's going to make his cells lose cohesion?

Holy shit, how do you even process something like that?

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 23, 2014, 11:41 Creston

1badmf wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 11:37:
actually, germany (west germany at the time) were the ones who instigated the current method of having the final group games played at the same time. in '82 they went into their final game with austria knowing they had to win 1-0 to advance. austria would still advance in that situation. they scored early, and then the rest of the game was 80 minutes of 22 dudes trying not to look like they were colluding to advance.

that was a fantastic game though. can't believe the horrendous defending at the end - bradley for coughing up the ball to create the counter, or cameron for just plain whiffing on the cross or picking up the attacker. which was funny because overall our defense was really good and played well as a unit. it just came down to individual gaffs that led to both portugal goals.

Okay, but now you're talking like 25 years ago.

23766 Comments. 1189 pages. Viewing page 51.
< Newer [ 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo