Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 673 (Apprentice)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > No Brighter Minds Layoffs
3. Re: No Brighter Minds Layoffs Feb 8, 2009, 11:54 HoSpanky

I agree with Buckermann, 2dboy isn't at fault here and I hope they don't get screwed. Brighter Minds maybe published several poorly-advertised titles or poorly-made ones, and World Of Goo may be their sole good decision. One game won't hold a company up forever.

And yes, I love World Of Goo. bought it the day it came out on Steam, and while I haven't spent enough time with it yet to finish it, it's a fantastic title worth every penny.

Should their publisher bite the dust, I hope Valve (or Valve's apparent publisher, EA) steps up and claims it to continue sales and hopefully fund another title from 2D Boy.

Edited for a ridiculous typo

This comment was edited on Feb 8, 2009, 11:55.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Metal Drift Announced
1. Re: Metal Drift Announced Jan 20, 2009, 11:15 HoSpanky

oi, those graphics look 1998alicious. I hope they just haven't gotten around to putting in any shaders.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. $300 machine Dec 30, 2008, 11:17 HoSpanky

Wow, reading through the OC Modshop article is ridiculous. they want you to buy a separate heatsink from the stock one, and use a better sound card than onboard, yet they choose an 8500 for the video card? They tell you NOT to use onboard video and they picked a video card that's basically the same thing! skip the minor audio upgrade and alternate heatsink and put that money into a faster video card. same cost, better performance. These guys either have their priorities WAY off, or they don't REALLY know how to build a budget gaming machine.  

News Comments > Left 4 Dead Demo Split Screen Splits
11. Re: Left 4 Dead Demo Split Screen Splits Nov 11, 2008, 12:29 HoSpanky

I was disappointed to find that apparently hooking up a wireless 360 controller with the plug and charge usb cable is not sufficient to get windows to acknowledge the controller. I guess you need to buy an adapter? I don't see that happening.

Ahh yes, why does it not work? because the wireless controllers ONLY communicate over wireless. If it were to switch, say, mid-game when you needed to charge your controller, it'd have to re-initialize the controller. That would have caused possible confusion for the 360 (it will remember which controller is which player if you pop the battery pack off and back on), as the interface would change, and the system would probably see the controller as a NEW one...meaning you'd go from being player 1 to player 2 with no easy way to rectify it.

MS didn't see a problem with this at the time they designed it; it was for the 360 only at that point. They assumed people were a-ok with wired versions for the PC. They apparently didn't imagine a world where someone has BOTH, and doesn't want to buy a wired one for the computer when they have a wireless one already. At least they offer a solution in the form of a $20 USB dongle.

News Comments > Call of Duty: World at War Patch
11. Re: Call of Duty: World at War Patch Nov 11, 2008, 12:21 HoSpanky

maybe this isn't JUST to fix bugs...

enables mods and a patch notifier? maybe it was intentionally left out so the pirates have to play catch-up for once.

or maybe they just goofed up.

News Comments > World of Warcraft Patch Plans
14. Re: World of Warcraft Patch Plans Oct 23, 2008, 08:52 HoSpanky

I'd be glad if the one you get from the trainer looks different from the mount you'd get from questing. not a big difference, maybe a color scheme change, just something to let people know which way you went about it. But Blizzard probably won't do that. This is a game entirely based on showing off your accomplishments to others by way of gear, and they seem to miss that point rather often.  

News Comments > On Red Alert 3 Cut-Scenes
3. Re: On Red Alert 3 Cut-Scenes Oct 23, 2008, 08:19 HoSpanky

I can't decide if I want to buy this or not...

I always liked the Red Alert series due to the whole thing feeling like the C&C dev team put all of their rejected designs into one game, and somehow it worked. The ridiculous cutscenes were intentionally sillier than the C&C ones to match.

EA's DRM spasm is the real deciding factor here. my machine(s) get rebuilt on a surprisingly regular basis, and that includes full WinXP reinstalls. Would I be unable to play this game in a year and a half?

Maybe it doesn't matter. Maybe EA will lift the install limit later. I've only had one issue with DRM ever, and that was caused entirely by one of those 100x Kenwood cd drives. It read the disc data so quickly that the DRM assumed it was pulling it off a hard drive or being faked, so it failed. Nice, being denied playing a game because my computer was too efficient.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
6. WipEout HD Sep 26, 2008, 18:02 HoSpanky

HOLY SHIT!

Time to spend $20 on some supa-pretty racing!

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Flatout Ultimate Carnage Aug 13, 2008, 12:34 HoSpanky

NOW this comes out for PC, after Bugbear claimed they were cancelling it. I bought the 360 version just a couple months ago
The 360 version is fantastic, I'd assume this will be identical. it's apparently just Flatout2 with prettier graphics but I never played that so it was an all new game to me.
Just did a price check, Gogamer has it for $20.

Funny thing is, it's a game with a LOT of things flying around onscreen...a LOT. Rock solid framerate. And yet, it doesn't need a physics card to do all of this. So why is there all this craziness about the Ageia thing when the current demos just slow things down to a crawl?

Oh well. I'm just glad to see this made it to the PC. might pick it up again, see if people are interested in some lanning with it.

News Comments > Savage 2: A Tortured Sale
5. NOT $10 Aug 1, 2008, 09:22 HoSpanky

Boy this WOULD be a great deal at $10, too bad it's $30 on Steam. Maybe they just haven't woken up and actually changed this yet.

News Comments > Savage 2: A Tortured Sale
3. Re: No subject Aug 1, 2008, 08:09 HoSpanky

Not sure why I'm also saying the exact same thing, but yeah, at $10 for a game this...different, I'm downloading a copy.

News Comments > Bionic Commando Dated - Updated
3. Re: 2 different games Jun 3, 2008, 11:30 HoSpanky

Yeah, although unless they sneak it in, there's no online co-op....single-screen co-op only.
Oh well. I'll still probably pick it up; it looks gorgeous and hopefully plays great. That, and there's PLENTY of online co-op games coming out this year. At least a couple have GOT to turn out to actually be good.

Edit: The only thing Live Arcade is really missing is something like PixelJunk Monsters. Why has noone made more Tower Defense games for consoles? To my knowledge, PJM is the only one. Altho the co-op is again trapped on a single machine, it's a great game (albeit graphically simple). But nooo, let's bring out more overhead Llamatron-like shooters. There's certainly not enough of THOSE.
This comment was edited on Jun 3, 11:34.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
15. GreenPeace May 20, 2008, 17:56 HoSpanky

Odd that GreenPeace is calling for more environmentally-friendly consoles that contain Bromine, but those dumbasses never looked at the ingredients in Mountain Dew?

What do you think Brominated Vegetable Oil IS?

This comment was edited on May 20, 17:56.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Fart Button May 13, 2008, 21:11 HoSpanky

Ok, this ad popped up at the top of the page, and inexplicably, I was drawn to hear an amusing noise so I pushed it.

NO FART NOISE WILL COME OF THIS.

The button is a LIE! it tried to make me take an ipod nano (two of them, actually) instead of delivering on its promise. Bait And Switch!

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: No subject May 11, 2008, 18:28 HoSpanky

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9940600-7.html

just like the article writer and all the posters after him, noone noticed that EA backed down on the "phone home" part of the DRM.

3 installs is, I agree, not enough. If EA starts seeing people needing more than that, hopefully they'll take the route 2k did with Bioshock and just allow more instances. That's a change on THEIR end, so it would be a quick fix for all.

My sole worry about this sort of thing is that years from now, people won't be able to install and play it because EA notoriously shuts down servers for older games. Hopefully I'm overreacting, and EA may leave an authentication server for this running in some closet until the end of time. By then, the game won't have limits on installs, as it will be considered too old to worry about piracy on. Again, I just hope they think it's worth leaving a light on in the authentication room for.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
3. WipEout May 10, 2008, 23:19 HoSpanky

man, this game can't come out soon enough. I recognize segments of tracks from both Pulse and Pure, and they look amazing.

Wonder if they're gonna charge $40 for this one. Probably. But it's absolutely gorgeous, and if it plays as well as the two PSP games, it'll be worth it. Actually, it'd better play even BETTER, considering the psp's woeful analog nub.

News Comments > PC Burnout Paradise
23. Re: No subject May 9, 2008, 18:45 HoSpanky

if this shows up on Steam, I may have a hard time resisting it. Since it focuses on online play, I'm thinking EA may opt for the more standard cd-key copy protection. The only reason Mass Effect has such ridiculous measures is because it's a single-player game, meaning you could physically disconnect the computer from web access for the entire time you played the game, and miss out on NOTHING because of it. You can't do the same with BP, because the game is VERY heavily focused on online play.
But knowing EA, they'll have it in there anyway.

News Comments > Race Driver GRID Demo
1. No subject May 9, 2008, 18:29 HoSpanky

I played this demo on the 360, and I'd assume the thing I have an issue with is in this one: the way the camera follows the car. I can't put my finger on WHY it bothers me so much, but it feels different from any other racing game in recent memory, and it's horrible.

If they fix that, the game is gorgeous, very well presented (check it out and you'll know what I mean before you even start a race), and has a solid framerate. it leans toward realism a bit more than arcade, but just barely.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. HAZE May 9, 2008, 10:14 HoSpanky

ok, so all the screenshots of Haze having your view to the left, and your 3 squadmates on the right was apparently removed from the game (probably from whiny beta testers complaining that their crosshair wasn't in the physical center of the screen).

It's Halo 2.5. the graphics aren't up to H3 standards, not by a long shot. I'm not even a big fan of H3, I played the co-op campaign and was done. But this doesn't come close.

Framerate is solid, the jump in/drop out functionality is good. The Nectar use is interesting (I had horrid withdrawal and ended up being unable to let go of a grenade I intended to throw), but this is gonna be one of those "hey guys, let's all rent this over the weekend n play thru it" games.

News Comments > Crytek to End PC Exclusives
134. My 2 cents Apr 30, 2008, 18:15 HoSpanky

Ok, Crysis had WAY too high of system requirements to be a blockbuster game. The storyline, while parts of it were delivered quite well, was...meh.
Personally, I just think that the lack of companies licensing their engine as middleware is what's killing them. iD and especially Epic make most of their money off their engines, and pump out games as tech demos that they can easily afford to not sell a single copy of. Luckily, Gears of War was actually fun.

Now, this isn't excusing piracy. It's crazy rampant, and I have no doubt in my mind that TONS of people downloaded full copies of Crysis "to see the pretty graphics, that's all". The tech demo had those too, you just wanted to see ALL of it. I'm not excusing Crysis for being a system-buckling and mediocre game, but it doesn't mean you should get it for free because it's not the greatest thing ever. You didn't get your car for free, and I bet it's not the Best Goddamned Car Ever Made.

Piracy on consoles DOES exist, altho in the exact opposite of someone who posted on here, I don't know ANYONE with a chipped 360, because we all play online. Chipping it MAY work, but you're also risking getting bricked with an update. So yeah, I buy games for the 360. The system is fragile enough, I don't want to taunt fate by adding ANOTHER way I could kill it. And that's a LOT of people's thoughts on it, making actual game purchasing "just to see the pretty graphics" more likely.

If pirating a game and getting caught ended with your computer being irreversibly busted, you'd think a bit harder about downloading that game. Admit it. Don't say any shit about how that'd be illegal for them to do; it's why it isn't happening already. But if it WERE to become legal...PC sales would go up. people curious about a game (but not curious enough to risk Dead Compy) would buy a game instead of steal it. Not all of them, but a good number of them. THAT is the margin developers are looking at, and turning to consoles because of.

And while I expect arguments to this (hell, I'm impressed if you read the whole thing), realize that your argument is welcome as long as you currently have a job and are paying for what you have. College kids and below need not apply: no matter your excuse, understand that you are absolutely, 100% WORTHLESS until you are actually CONTRIBUTING to society, not just sucking away at its teats. You understand NOTHING until you have to support your own weight.

673 Comments. 34 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo