Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 724 (Apprentice)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Worms Reloaded Revealed
3. Re: Worms Reloaded Revealed Feb 23, 2010, 15:52 HoSpanky

LOL @ J

I'm just hoping this isn't a port of Worms 2 Armageddon/ Worms for the iPhone. Those felt like a step far, far back from the likes of the (original) Worms Armageddon.

We will not speak of World Party or Worms 3D.

Armageddon had a truly absurd arsenal, while the newer worms games, while they look VERY nice, have only the basics. I also hope this version will allow your own landscape importer like Armageddon did.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Warner Bros. Acquires Rocksteady Studios
2. Re: Warner Bros. Acquires Rocksteady Studios Feb 23, 2010, 10:33 HoSpanky

I agree...Arkham Asylum was SO much better than expected. Its the first game that focuses on stealth that I actually LIKED. Dunno why I can't stand the Splinter Cell games, but...well, I can't. Glad to see this one is getting a sequel...here's hoping it's even half as good.  

News Comments > Gold - Dawn of War II - Chaos Rising
26. Re: Gold - Dawn of War II - Chaos Rising Feb 22, 2010, 18:55 HoSpanky

While I was disappointed at the lack of base building in DOW2, I DID play the demo and knew what I was getting into ahead of time. Considering the entire SP campaign is playable online co-op, It's quite a bit of fun. I have not touched the multiplayer portion.

If you're looking for a "proper" RTS that lets you play thru it co-op...Red Alert 3. It wasn't advertised NEARLY as much as the actual C&C series, but the single player campaigns are lengthy, non-repetitive, and completely ridiculous. Again, I haven't played much of the actual multiplayer component, so I don't know if it's well-balanced.

News Comments > No C&C4 LAN or Dedicated Servers
13. Re: Game Reviews Feb 21, 2010, 14:36 HoSpanky

See, I told you not to look (in the AC2 DRM thread).

This game uses the same idea for the DRM - a constant connection requirement.

Not that I care much, it's barely a C&C game. It sounds like they're adopting the main difference the Company of Heroes/Dawn of War games have (holding points for resources/victory), and taking away the actual base building portion as well.

Looks like Red Alert 3 was a one-off of pure awesome.

News Comments > GPG on the Cost of Independence
18. Re: GPG on the Cost of Independence Feb 18, 2010, 19:20 HoSpanky

Demigod regularly goes on sale for under $10 now. I agree that its biggest weakness is the lack of maps. Hell, the level selection screen seems designed to accommodate at LEAST twice as many maps as the game shipped with.
While yes, most community maps would be dreadfully boring to look at, a few would go out of their way to create astonishingly detailed battlefields. Full modding tools seem to be less and less common, but at LEAST offer a map editor for this sort of game! Hell, offer the map editor and a modest prize for top-end maps, and then release the winners' maps as part of the official game. Development time negated, small cost to the company, and the winners' names are now "out there" on a commercial product, if they're interested in breaking into the industry. Everyone wins.

News Comments > On Ubisoft's Online DRM
52. Re: On Ubisoft's Online DRM Feb 18, 2010, 09:43 HoSpanky

Don't look now, but EA is planning this exact same DRM for C&C4.

I SAID DON'T LOOK!

Shit. You looked. Now it can't be undone, can it?

For a game that HAS a multiplayer component, in fact is heavily focused on it, requiring a constant internet connection isn't as reprehensible as a single player game doing this. Still, seeing that EA is heading in the same direction worries me.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 12, 2010, 14:23 HoSpanky

Hooray for the Hudsucker Proxy reference!

I always get my pants double stitched.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Mass Effect 2
19. Re: Ships Ahoy - Mass Effect 2 Jan 26, 2010, 15:24 HoSpanky

killer_roach wrote on Jan 26, 2010, 14:42:
Hump wrote on Jan 26, 2010, 14:09:
again....16gb install?? Kee-rist!

I gotta admit though, looking at the in-game trailers the game looks almost CGI in its quality.

At least when Shepard is talking. That appears as though it's either CGI or a cutscene model. The rest of the game doesn't look (judging from HD trailers) quite that good. Not bad, but still not really fantastic either (it's by no means one of the best-looking 360 games, but definitely in the top quarter or so).

Can't be a CG model. You can make your own Shepard, remember. Everything with your character in it has to be rendered in-game.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Mass Effect 2
18. Re: Ships Ahoy - Mass Effect 2 Jan 26, 2010, 15:22 HoSpanky

Anyone able to tell me if the PC version supports a gamepad? Don't tell me the garbage about how the mouse and keyboard are better...I know they usually are. They just don't work as well sitting on the couch. A "yes they do work, console-tard" or "no, they pulled the same shit as in ME1 on PC" will basically be my deciding factor in which one I buy.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
12. Re: Game Reviews Jan 26, 2010, 14:43 HoSpanky

Mostly, I'm just looking at reviews to decide which system to get this for. I played it on the 360 initially, and the texture pop-in was horrendous. The reviews are saying that's fixed in this version, replaced with more traditional loading screens.

The PC version is undoubtedly have better controls, but I haven't finished a playthrough on it yet, where I have multiple playthroughs (one as a Paragon, one as a douchebag) on the 360.

I'm leaning toward the 360 edition at this point. Slightly worse graphics and no M/kb control is a bummer, but sitting on the couch playing on a MUCH larger screen (with characters that have completed the game) seems to be the better choice.

News Comments > No More Burnout Paradise DLC
14. Re: No More Burnout Paradise DLC Jan 21, 2010, 10:15 HoSpanky

Well they say they released all this content, yet they seem to have ignored the PC users who wanted more than just a few goofy cars...

Glad to see they forgot entirely that they didn't offer Big Surf, the only ACTUAL additional content, on the PC. I don't consider a handful of cars to be additional content. In my mind, that's like offering Horse Armor. Give me more to DO, like Big Surf, and that's CONTENT.

Charging $10 for a fairly simple game mode (cops & robbers) is also a great big pile of shit.

All that said, I actually loved Burnout Paradise.

News Comments > BioShock 2 DRM and GFWL Info
63. Re: BioShock 2 DRM and GFWL Info Jan 21, 2010, 10:03 HoSpanky

Thank you Creston and Space Captain! Now that you mention it, I *DO* recall that bit about the Witcher.

And as for shutting down legit software, that's also a big problem. Altho Roxio should have sorted this out with SecuROM long ago (along the lines of "we're suing you for shutting down our legit software and costing us tons in sales."), it's still a notable issue.

Ok so SecuROM does have issues. With games that don't come on physical media, what's the point of it?

Also I was unaware of the 15-install limit on GFWL games, but really...how many times are you going to install one game? I think Starcraft is the only title I have that may have been installed more than 10 times, and that game is over 10 years old. There are very, very few games out now that I see myself bothering to play in 10 years.

News Comments > BioShock 2 DRM and GFWL Info
46. Re: BioShock 2 DRM and GFWL Info Jan 20, 2010, 16:11 HoSpanky

I can understand people's complaints about GFWL. I have no issue with it personally, as it tends to mean no undocumented port-opening bullshit when trying to play a new game with your friends (hello Borderlands?). Just send an invite and BAM, works every time.

Having to log on to save files for a single player game? stupid.

Also, I've never noticed whether a game uses securom or not. Does it matter? Does it degrade performance? What's the huge problem with it where everyone's moaning about it when it pops up with a game? And don't point me to some story about it from 10 years ago or something. Show me where it's fucking up current machines at an astounding rate (or even more than just a handful) and I'll be wary of it.

News Comments > No Half-Life in 2010?
22. Re: No Half-Life in 2010? Jan 19, 2010, 13:28 HoSpanky

I'm inclined to think they're going straight for hl3 only because the consoles got Orange Box and maybe they don't want to confuse or exclude those players by squeezing in a 3rd episode. Not everyone has Internet connectivity, can't assume they can download the 3rd ep.
I just want the story continuation, whatever form it ends up taking. I'd love to see a new base engine, but if it's still the same one I wouldn't be disappointed.

News Comments > PC Lost Planet 2 Confirmed?
12. time limit? Jan 18, 2010, 20:37 HoSpanky

I don't understand the "time limit" thing. Do you mean the countdown for your heat storage or whatever? That's gone in the second game. The only time it constantly burns down is if you use a mech. Also the sequel has 4-player co-op through the entire campaign, which is the selling point for me.

There's a demo out on the 360 if you want to give it a go. 4-player co-op is in it, altho it's just a boss fight (a rather neat one, but that's ALL there is to the demo).

I didn't think the first game was particularly boring, but it definitely had a who-cares storyline, and I agree it ran better on the controller than the m/kb.

News Comments > On Sale
1. DiRT2 Jan 16, 2010, 23:14 HoSpanky

If you have ANY interest in racing games, pick this up now. I got it during the holiday sale at $32, fantastic deal then and even better now.

Also a nice way to show off that overpowered rig of yours.

News Comments > The Saboteur Final Patch Planned
3. Re: The Saboteur Final Patch Planned Jan 15, 2010, 10:54 HoSpanky

yep, this is exactly why I won't be buying this game. Sad for Pandemic, but I really hope this game sells horribly, and that EA realizes it's because people don't want a game that the developer isn't around to support.

I'm not entirely sorry to see Pandemic go. Mercenaries 2 was a great idea that was so very poorly executed. When the Anti-aliasing checkbox DOESN'T ACTUALLY WORK, and the game runs in super-tall-vision no matter what graphic settings you change, that's your first sign that they don't know how to make a game for the PC. And that's BEFORE all of the game-crashing, mission-breaking, vehicle-teleporting garbage you get once you're IN it. If they can't fix a title they were still in business after making, they sure as hell won't get Saboteur working right.

News Comments > PC as a TV Console
8. Re: PC as a TV Console Jan 5, 2010, 23:45 HoSpanky

Heh, the controller looks like a poorly reconfigured 360 controller with the chatpad addon. Not impressed. I like my console games ON the console, and for the few games that work better with a controller than mouse/keyboard, I have a wired 360 controller. This thing is for....I'm not sure who it's for.  

News Comments > On Sale
7. Re: On Sale Jan 3, 2010, 16:36 HoSpanky

Boo for steam's "encore" sale. This should have been one last blowout before they shut down the sale, not a retread of the shit that sold the best.
Yes, I'm just sore they didn't have Dawn of War 2 for $10. Picked it up at the current $20 price. They kept dropping already-discounted games even further, and several THQ titles so I thought it was a sure thing it'd be super cheap for one day.

Also picked up Dirt 2 for $32, priciest sale item I bought but oh so awesome. All in all I think steam milked right around $100 out of me during the sale.

Honestly the sale basically cemented digital distribution as my priority for game purchasing. Now all we need is more developers to start incorporating steam cloud into their games. Words can't describe how nice it is to format your rig, drop a new OS on it, set up steam to download all the games you want, then log into torchlight and have it pick up where I left off without fiddling with randomly-placed save files.

News Comments > On Sale
5. RA3 Jan 2, 2010, 16:50 HoSpanky

If you can get a friend to pick it up as well, Red Alert 3's co-op is fantastic. The 3 campaigns are surprisingly long, and the video intros and cutscenes are hilarious. It IS a ridiculous game, extremely politically incorrect and never, ever takes itself seriously.

I haven't played it in versus. Only the co-op portion, which is large enough to justify the purchase even at the original price. I don't know if it's well-balanced or not.

Also, the music in games is usually just background noise, but in this it's seriously fantastic.

724 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo