Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 753 (Graduate)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Mass Effect Multiplayer?
19. Re: Mass Effect Multiplayer? May 29, 2010, 21:25 HoSpanky

personally, I liked ME2. I liked the varied environments, the lack of 100 identical planets to land on, and the too-streamlined-but-better-than-ME1 inventory system.

What I didn't like was the primary story. Yes, I actually liked all the recruitment/loyalty quests. But ME2's overall story felt...weak. honestly, the *story* felt more like an addon than a full, epic, holy shit story.

I'm trying to put this in a way that doesn't spoil it for those who haven't played through it. because it's still worth playing through, you just won't feel like the savior of the universe this time around. that's what bothered me...you're such an amazing badass and the entire galaxy sees it in the first. In the second one...not so much.

Nor do you get to decide the fate of an entire species, as you did in the first (and which has hints, during the second game, of maybe being something *actually* important for the 3rd game).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
1. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 29, 2010, 15:07 HoSpanky

wow that post about Uncharted 2 was apparently so awesome it needed linked twice!  

News Comments > Split/Second Interview
4. Re: Split/Second Interview May 24, 2010, 18:24 HoSpanky

PC version of this game was done by another company, and they did a piss poor job of it. it runs, but the options are sparse in the full game, and nonexistant in the demo. One of the sloppiest ports I've seen in a long time.

Console versions run smoother and look surprisingly good. I applaud the "same-day release" for the PC, but not in this state.

News Comments > Blur Pre-Purchase Bonus
4. Re: Blur Pre-Purchase Bonus May 23, 2010, 22:20 HoSpanky

Nah, I played the beta on the 360. Even tho the graphics are a BIG step down from the Project Gotham games, it's a pretty fun game. It is HEAVILY slanted at online multi tho, from how much work they put into the online portion, I'm expecting the single player to be nothing more than training.

The only major downside is it looks like a launch title, graphically. I mean appallingly bad, especially given the pedigree.

News Comments > Blur Pre-Purchase Bonus
1. Re: Blur Pre-Purchase Bonus May 23, 2010, 18:37 HoSpanky

cheapies...can't even offer up Geometry Wars 2, which is ridiculously better than the original game.  

News Comments > Split/Second Demo
14. Re: Split/Second Demo May 23, 2010, 09:30 HoSpanky

I am a big supporter of same-day releases of games, but this one shoulda cooked a couple weeks longer. I'm no longer surprised that Fry's has this for $30.
The game starts off with a "let's see your skills" race, but this happens before you can get to the menu, so you're playing it at whatever graphic detail/resolution/controller setting they decided was best. You will have to complete this race before you can make any changes.
Graphic setting changes are...pathetic. the difference between "high" and "very high" appears to be 8-16x antialiasing versus none.

All of these "look, this was ported in 2 weeks!" issues could have been averted with a front-end menu. I mean, the cfg file isn't even a text file for easy editing. Very shoddy.

The game itself is a fun diversion. It has a lan mode, so you could always pull a cracked .exe and at least have a fun afternoon with it, but it's not a long-term entertainment game. Shame, really... they obviously worked quite hard on all of the various items blowing up, but the actual racing is cheaply rubber-bandy and takes any actual RACING out of the equation.

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black May 5, 2010, 22:37 HoSpanky

Mickey Rourke is one fucked up man.  

News Comments > StarCraft II in July
28. Re: StarCraft II in July May 3, 2010, 22:23 HoSpanky

MattyC wrote on May 3, 2010, 21:49:
I don't see how the $60 is some massive leap from $50... I mean it isn't like we didn't pay $60 for good PC games (well maybe not you, but obviously I and a few others or they wouldn't have existed) in the past. Just because console games now sell for that too 60 is somehow evil? What about 61? 59?

As I've posted before, I will have this on launch day, and I will have it for $50. Possibly even $40. There's about 3 months till it comes out, and retailers haven't started their bid for your business yet. Amazon/Walmart may go for the $20 gift card thing with this one, and Fry's will certainly have it for $50.

News Comments > Test Drive Unlimited 2 Trailer
10. Re: Test Drive Unlimited 2 Trailer May 2, 2010, 09:08 HoSpanky

I'd be more excited about the next Codemasters racing game if I wasn't worried it would randomly destroy my progress when I play online. I got 100% through the single player game of Dirt2 with no issues, first time I played it online, savegame turned corrupt. started another, played 2 offline races, no corruption. went online, corrupt.

Pretty sure it's something weird with GFWL. I unlocked the "cautious" achievement the last time I played online, yet it's not unlocked when I check my achievements on the 360. Now that I think about it, both times I went online, I scored an achievement...and both times, it didn't register permanently. Maybe there's the problem.

News Comments > APB in June/July Subscriptions Details
1. Re: APB in June/July Subscriptions Details Apr 30, 2010, 21:32 HoSpanky

hrm. not sure if I should be annoyed by the fact that the game has a time limit, or if I should realize that aside from WoW (I'm off the smack, mama!), I've never put even remotely CLOSE to 50 hours into a single game. If I never chance hitting that limit, what's the big deal?

Altho this one REALLY drives home the "EA doesn't like the secondhand market" thing. I'm sure you can't even PLAY a used copy without buying some time.

News Comments > On Sale
8. Re: FUEL Apr 30, 2010, 09:10 HoSpanky

I agree, FUEL certainly isn't fantastic (it came out after GRID and costs less, that's your big tell), but it's not a BAD game.

Speaking of GRID, at under $7, BUY IT. I actually recommend it more than Dirt2, because GRID doesn't corrupt your savegame from playing online. Dirt2 for some reason, WILL corrupt your savegame when you play online. Randomly. Sometimes you'll be ok. Single player, Dirt2 is some seriously amazing eye candy, and at $10, it's a super cheap way to watch your rig do some amazing stuff. GRID is also a great looking game, although put next to Dirt2 it looks a bit dated. Dirt2's single player campaign will NOT corrupt your save file, and it's pretty neat. Dirt2 does use GFWL, and I know that turns some people off...GRID does not.

So, to summaraize: Buy FUEL and GRID with no hesitation, buy Dirt2 if you want to show off your machine's power (but you don't want to play online).

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 26, 2010, 16:30 HoSpanky

I don't MIND if they make ME3 for the PS3, but like others have said, who would buy it? You can't have a savegame from a previous version, so a lot of the coolest parts won't be available to players, or they won't understand why it's a big deal. Still, the second game lets you play without a savegame from the first, you just (again) won't quite get everything that's going on, or any of the neat long-term effects.

Also on this list is Split/Second has a demo out, and it's pretty neat. And yes, it's coming to the PC, on the same day of the console releases. That's super rare anymore, and I'm buying the PC version soley because they actually did a simultaneous release. Just wish they'd get it on Steam.

News Comments > PC Joe Danger?
8. Re: PC Joe Danger? Apr 22, 2010, 08:58 HoSpanky

I'm more curious of when this went to PS3 only...last I'd heard it was 360 and PS3.

As for Max Payne and Alan Wake, those are both from the same studio. And Serious Sam is SUPPOSED to be a groaner. I mean, this is their advertisement: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YD0yeuuOrY

Why is Joe Danger such a bad name? It's a game about a stuntman. What, you think they should rename it "Cartooney dood on a bike"?

News Comments > Morning Previews
2. Re: Morning Previews Apr 16, 2010, 12:33 HoSpanky

sadly, I gotta agree with you. I think most people will just be happy that it'll be Starcraft that runs at higher than 640x480. I'm honestly far more interested in what crazy game modes people make with the editor. I played custom maps far more in Warcraft 3 than the regular game.

Not saying I don't think the game will be good. It's Blizzard. SC2 WILL be good. But for the first time since Quake 3...I'm buying the game for the inevitable mods.

News Comments > Get Well Soon Tom Hall
11. Re: Get Well Soon Tom Hall Apr 15, 2010, 20:13 HoSpanky

glad to hear he's (mostly) functional afterwards! This may be one of very very few Blue's threads that doesn't get snarky comments.

Until I typed that, now they're required by the Laws of Trolling.

News Comments > StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty CE & Pricing
55. Re: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty CE & Pricing Apr 8, 2010, 17:58 HoSpanky

You're all crying about this as if Amazon, Wal-Mart and Frys aren't going to have it for $50 on release day (or even pre-order), claiming a $10 discount. When MW2 came out, it was also easy to find for $50 (PC version). I didn't buy it, but still, it was obtainable at "regular" price. $40 isn't really a reasonable price anymore, unless we're talking digital downloads...$40 should be the price CAP on those.

As many others on here have said, Blizzard doesn't really make bad games. Their games are polished far beyond what most developers dream their games will be, and their patch support is legendary. This is one game that actually can have a price like $60 and still be worth it. But I'll have it for $50, and I'll have it the day it comes out.

News Comments > Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets Patch & Expansion
1. Re: Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets Patch & Expansion Apr 5, 2010, 22:05 HoSpanky

Ok so I can't be the only one who saw "Disaster on the donuts"  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Heavenly Sword Mar 31, 2010, 20:53 HoSpanky

Shame the game didn't break even, but that IS what happens when you go exclusive on a then-$600 console with a 5 hour long game with no multiplayer. I enjoyed the game...when I bought it at $20. Let's hope their new game has fewer delays and 100% fewer mentions of Andy Serkis' balls.  

News Comments > Darksiders PC Plans
19. Re: Darksiders PC Plans Mar 30, 2010, 18:41 HoSpanky

Prez, they did a 1-hour demo (first proper dungeon, complete with boss fight) for the console demo, I'd hope they'd pop that over to the PC as well.

On the graphics: They initially look dated, but that's soley because they're not shader-heavy. Art-wise, I'd say it looks like World of Warcraft (latest expansion) with far better animation. I liked it. I also liked Wind Waker, which people apparently hated just because it didn't look like every other game out at the time.

The game itself was quite a bit of fun, I had a blast playing through it. Combat got a bit repetitive by the end, and the glove weapon was almost completely useless. Still, I had a great time. I'm glad to hear this is getting a PC release, now more people will be able to check it out.

Side note: for once, collecting all the pieces of a special armor set doesn't just upgrade you for the endgame...you can carry it over to a new game (hardest difficulty, yay!) and reap the benefits right out the gate.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Mar 13, 2010, 13:39 HoSpanky

Wow...this probably makes me sound like a dick, but...

Is the girl who built the SMB system deaf or partially deaf? If not, what's the reasoning behind sounding like she has a mouthful of marbles the entire time?

I'm just appalled at people who can't even manage their primary language. That goes double for forum posters who can't figure out "to or too", "there or their", "who's or whose" and when NOT to put an apostrophe before an S. Don't tell me you were "just typing fast". Own up to the fact that you never made it past third grade.

753 Comments. 38 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo