Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 799 (Graduate)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > StarCraft II Balance Testing
2. Re: StarCraft II Balance Testing Feb 1, 2014, 13:59 HoSpanky

Because in an rts, what appears perfectly balanced may have hidden exploits that aren't BUGS, but ways to use units together in ways no one thought of in their QA department. In a game largely about online multiplayer, people are constantly finding insane ways to tear people's bases apart.

One involved building Zerg buildings near their enemy, then pulling the creep producer out. The buildings die, spawning a bunch of little nasty things that then were sent to demolish someone's entire production line, crippling them beyond recovery.

Another, someone realized that you can't see thru units. So they made TONS of overlords (there is no limit to how many you can make), used them as a visual shield from the ground units marching under them. The other player can either target the overlords, wasting time killing non-attacking units, or let their units auto-target while the Zerg player is free to focus fire. Zerg of course wins.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 31, 2014, 12:34 HoSpanky

I had one of these for a day. If the new one's controller feels more like the x360's tank, instead of the $5 knock-off the original had, I'd be more interested.

...as soon as it gets Steam streaming, at 1080p/60. Wired, of course, I'm not stupid enough to believe wireless is "just as good". Aside from that, the interest level here is nil.

News Comments > Remember Me Developer Bankrupt
4. Re: Remember Me Developer Bankrupt Jan 31, 2014, 10:30 HoSpanky

Acleacius, what's the aversion to a controller? How do you play racing games on a keyboard? Twin-stick shooters? Fighting games?

If you don't play any of those, then just say "there are genres that I refuse to play", dont blame a game on being designed around a specific controller. I switch between m/kb and controller, depending on what suits the game better. Sometimes in the same game, mostly open world games.

The controls aren't poorly designed, your CHOICE of input is poorly suited. There's a difference. Don't cry about losing the indy500 when all you brought was a speedboat.

News Comments > PC Lococycle Next Month
4. Re: PC Lococycle Next Month Jan 30, 2014, 14:16 HoSpanky

Shame to hear it's bad. So far I've liked every Twisted Pixel game, altho I haven't had a chance to play the gunstringer.  

News Comments > Next Car Game Makes $1 Million in One Week
8. Re: Next Car Game Makes $1 Million in One Week Jan 30, 2014, 10:56 HoSpanky

Unless they've added to it, the early access honestly isn't as fun as the tech demo. Two small tracks, with less environment detail than Ultimate Carnage. I understand it's not final, so I'm just gonna let it sit. I spent way, WAY more time in the tech demo, as it oddly offers more to do than the early access game.

And I still believe they should allow for people to play the tech demo map in multiplayer as part of the full game. We'd invent our own weird game rules, they wouldn't need to do much other than tacking the map into the track list.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2014, 14:57 HoSpanky

I'm surprised train stations don't have obstruction sensors that then slow the incoming train. Sure, it won't stop people who fall in as the train is pulling up, but from most of the videos of people who fall in, they're in there for a long time.

Also, they're generally sloshed. It's a shame that the socially responsible person paid for trying to save someone who was, statistically, irresponsible. Not as backwards as the guy who stole a car and killed the Oculus Rift programmer, since the guy who fell on the tracks wasn't directly harming the nvidia guy...but still.

I do wonder how the Oculus guy didn't notice a police siren, nor did he see the car coming. He wasn't wearing the fucking thing, was he?

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2014, 12:59 HoSpanky

I agree, don't delay the Super Bowl for snow. These guys are being paid more money for one day, than most people will see in their lives, to play a game. They need to realize they aren't any different from any stage production, and the show must go on. The spectators who have spent thousands of dollars for a once in a lifetime event didn't plan for the extra day, because why should they? Where are they going to house the fans for an extra day? Reschedule all their flights? Call their bosses and say they need an extra day off? Is the NFL planning to organize and PAY for all of that?

Play in the snow you fucking pansies.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 25, 2014, 14:34 HoSpanky

NK story is a joke, other stories on the site include "Church picks JK Rowling to write new version of the Bible" and "Economics being renamed Having A Guess".

The NFL lip reading thing is flat out hilarious, every single one is absurd, but looks completely convincing. I now believe Peyton is afraid of Voldemort, and that you can't have cartoons without Kung fu.

News Comments > Michael Abrash's VR Talk Slides
1. Re: Michael Abrash's VR Talk Slides Jan 19, 2014, 13:50 HoSpanky

This was a way more interesting read than I expected. Read back a day or two, I was mad the Oculus team keeps adding more shit, but now I see WHY. They won't be putting out the "only VR headset you'll ever need", but they HAVE to nail the basics the first time, or the general public will dismiss it and won't look into it again.

Also, here I thought it'd be pretty simple to drop a 3d game into VR. While it could still be done in a "theater" setting, it won't convince anyone that they're THERE. Then again, my "solution" is stopgap. It's an untested idea that would expand the initial library of compatable games, not turn everything already made into VR experiences.

A lot of their struggles are physical hardware limitations. Pixel density AND refresh, multiple tracking systems that respond instantly...I feel seriously stupid now for being so cranky about Oculus holding back.

Also, while it was obvious why Carmack left iD for Oculus, the enormous hurdles they still haven't approached are likely what has his attention. He's never been big into gaming, he's always been far more interested in creating the bleeding edge...not being ON it, but being the guy who made it for others to be on. Yes, Rage was a failure, but not every experiment ends in success.

Good luck Oculus team. I'll buy your product when you're ready to sell it to me.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
11. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jan 19, 2014, 07:20 HoSpanky

If a 10 year old kid knows Ezio's backstory, that kid's parents have failed miserably at their responsibilities.
I'm not saying they should know anything about Mario (what's there to know? Princess, bowser, green pipes), but they shouldn't be playing games that reward them for murdering people in public and not being spotted.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
1. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jan 18, 2014, 14:43 HoSpanky

The wiiU is a hard machine to recommend. While the first party games and the incredible Rayman Legends are worthwhile...there just isn't enough going for the machine.

Shame, tho. It works quite happily with original Wii controllers, negating the need to buy more controllers. BIG plus for families, where a new console usually "costs" $150 more than what's on the box, so everyone can play. It runs original Wii games, allows you to play on the touchpad without needing the tv, for most games. Nintendo just doesn't realize that being on par with last generation machines means NO third party wants to make a game for it, when that game would have to be rebuilt to look good enough on the ps4/Xbone. 2d games are an exception.

I got my wiiU free, and even after the fun we've had with it, I wouldn't buy it at full price. Maybe $200. But the gamepad is too expensive to sell the whole system at that price, and it's required for the machine to run. With almost every game having something to do with the gamepad, you can't even go back and make the OS able to run without it. Nintendo's just gonna need to ride this one out.

News Comments > Slitherine's Games Go Multiplatform
3. Re: Slitherine's Games Go Multiplatform Jan 18, 2014, 09:06 HoSpanky

Hey if it runs better than Civ5, I'm interested.

I loved civ5 but a turn-based game with terrible stuttering issues is a poorly optimized game. The further I got into it, the more it struggled. This is on a machine that can plow thru any other title with ease. There isn't enough going on "in the background" to really justify 5-7 seconds of full-screen freezing, and random jittering while scrolling around the map. I finished one game of it, and never went back.

News Comments > Valve Not Making Retail VR Headsets
10. Re: Valve Not Making Retail VR Headsets Jan 18, 2014, 08:23 HoSpanky

jdreyer wrote on Jan 18, 2014, 01:57:
They'll ONLY allow games with head tracking. Otherwise, they'll have people throwing up all over the place, which is bad publicity.

I...yeah that makes sense. If you have no background reference like you get sitting at a desk using 3d glasses, could cause motion sickness. There are already "theater" programs that let you watch a movie 3d or 2d) as if you were in a theater. Moving your head turns you view, and you can see the edge of the film. Not sure if games could be run the same way, since that's extra overhead. Running a 3d accelerated game inside another 3d accelerated program likely wouldn't work. Possibly just a static frame? Could be enough. I'm sure at least one of those 50k devkit owners is fiddling with that.

8. Re: Valve Not Making Retail VR Headsets Jan 17, 2014, 22:43 HoSpanky

Well, they've added a camera that sits on your monitor now. I'm curious how many doodads they're gonna add. Each one lowers the number of people willing to set the whole thing up, each one adds to the cost of the device.

They're going to kill their baby with feature creep if they don't just put Crystal Cove into production and get it out the door. Get Hawken and Eve Valkyrie working 100%, maybe a codemasters racing game (with the return of cockpit view, obviously). It'd be amazing enough to sell it on those alone, plus the pile of semi-functional games already out. Hell, they're dead-stupid if they don't allow you to run ANY 3D game on it (without head tracking). That's a HUGE backlog of titles.

News Comments > WoW to Add Level-up Purchases
22. Re: WoW to Add Level-up Purchases Jan 17, 2014, 12:39 HoSpanky

The girlfriend and I got sucked back into WoW recently. We started pandas, and neither of us had played Old World since before Cataclysm. Seeing zones I used to know by heart completely altered was a surprising experience. It felt like someone tore down the house I grew up in and built something better. I'm enjoying the new content (especially gnome/goblin quests, as they're ALWAYS gonzo), but I was surprisingly sad to see Thousand Needles underwater.

At the same time we were enjoying playing thru it, a friend's son wanted to play with us. But he rush rush rushed through everything, not understanding why we weren't. He's bored to death with the content. I can understand the draw to pop an alt to the starting level of the new content, in that case.

Not sure if the game will have any grip after we get thru all the new content, as that tends to be what draws me in. PVP and grinding dungeons/raids just...nah.

3. Re: Valve Not Making Retail VR Headsets Jan 17, 2014, 12:27 HoSpanky

I'm dismayed at Valve's backing of the Rift. Because now, it's likely to arrive in Valve Time. It already feels like they're about 6 months late, but now? *sigh*  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
11. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 17, 2014, 08:57 HoSpanky

I worked at Amazon for about 9 months. During the summer, an ambulance sat out front just waiting for people to pass out from the heat in a certain section of the building. That was their solution, NOT installing better airflow/cooling to a small, specific area. The rest of the building was sweltering hot as well but it's unsurprising that they didnt air condition a building that's over a quarter mile long (and is still expanding).

Also, we shipped chocolate out of there, middle of summer. Don't order chocolate from Amazon.

News Comments > etc., etc.
9. Re: etc., etc. Jan 16, 2014, 08:41 HoSpanky

Cutter wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 22:15:
My buddy does that song at Karoke and he just nails it. Everyone always goes haywire when he does it.

Oh shit, I didnt realize I was your buddy! Because there's no way that there's more than one person that does an awesome job on The Bad Touch at karaoke.

Wait, I don't think my friend that goes with me even has Internet. Oh god. You're that creepy guy who comes in with his mom and hair that obviously hasn't been washed in weeks. Oh god oh god I can never go back.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 13, 2014, 11:09 HoSpanky

Curved tvs are the most blatant attempt to make people buy yet another tv for no good reason.

Flat tvs are wonderful, most people are thrilled to death with their current tvs. Companies don't make any money from tvs people are happy with, so they're inventing reasons that those fantastic tvs people already have are now "inferior". Hopefully no one falls for it. They've been trying for years to shrink tv depth to the point it can hang on the wall like a painting, and now that they've done it, they're UNDOING it??

News Comments > Op Ed
32. Re: Op Ed Jan 5, 2014, 08:24 HoSpanky

Wintyr seems to be a parody identity, like good ol' Jeff K. If it's for real, I have zero doubt that this tool yells "Wintyr is coming!" at the start of every match, thinking he's clever.

Wintyr, your abominable grammar IS a problem. The instant you prove you don't even understand the language you're using, everything you say is considered idiotic, even if you were revealing the cure for cancer.

Damn, I fell for it. No way that's a real person.

799 Comments. 40 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo