Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 1032 (Pro)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Patched
17. Re: The Witcher 3 Patched Jun 5, 2015, 19:22 HoSpanky

MajorD wrote on Jun 5, 2015, 18:35:
I've never played a Witcher game, but this one (3) has peaked my interest; however, is it recommended I play 1 and/or 2 before playing 3? How are the KB&M controls, is it a good port?

The game runs quite nicely, and it's a great game. I didn't play the first two, you can infer a lot of things that happened just from conversations in the game. I use a controller, can't comment on KB&M controls.

The game is...different from most. There's a LOT of conversations, and minor research you have to do on your own. Monster weaknesses are not displayed when fighting them, but you DO carry a bestiary which may or may not have info on the thing you're fighting in it. You'll spend 20 minutes talking to people and investigating the areas the problem has occurred before finding the monster/human who did it, and god help you if you aren't ready for it.
Basically, if you enjoy conversations and choices that have ACTUAL consequences (and often not the one you may have expected), along with some surprisingly frantic fighting, this is your game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 5, 2015, 15:52 HoSpanky

Per Google Chrome function:

Will it block those annoying ads that play audio a couple minutes AFTER you go to the site, with no moving video? They do this to make it harder to find/stop the ad, and WoWhead uses them all the time. They KNOW people leave the site up and alt-tab back and forth, and after 2-3 minutes, it blares out an incredibly long, impossible to find audio ad. My girlfriend gets all OCD over one task or another and will have multiple wowhead windows open at once...it's SO wonderful when an ad for soap plays 3 times over itself.

News Comments > Steam Controller Video
19. Re: Steam Controller Video Jun 5, 2015, 14:42 HoSpanky

Luke, your comments are completely useless. Do you like ANYTHING? I only read the last 20 or so posts from you but every one of them is "Faceshit and Steamspy lulz". You never actually contribute to a discussion. What games DO you play, since you hate every platform available?

Back to the actual subject, I looked at the specs for the SteamLink, and while they ponied up for Wireless AC, it's only got a 100mb Ethernet port on it. Seemed odd. Typo maybe?

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Jun 5, 2015, 13:58 HoSpanky

If the story ISN'T about a poor kid who rises to millionaire through playing basketball, then I'll be impressed. Because that's literally the only storyline there is, it's the same story in every goddamn sports movie ever made.  

News Comments > Morning Patches
2. Re: Morning Patches Jun 3, 2015, 12:04 HoSpanky

Agreed. Look, Horse Armor! At least they're not charging for it.  

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Launches
19. Re: Heroes of the Storm Launches Jun 3, 2015, 10:33 HoSpanky

What advantage? Can they play them all at once? If ONE of them is an overpowered badass, that'd be what you'd spend your gold on initially and never buy another.

Your argument is flawed.

I will admit having only played DOTA2 in beta. It was full of people complaining that I was dragging them down, since I had no clue what the hero I took did, and was learning on the fly. Inevitably I'd be far lower level than my teammates, and several times they'd all quit in the first few minutes rather than stick it out so I could get a decent grip on that character. I found the game impenetrable due to this, and quit playing after maybe 4 days.

Enter HOTS, where everyone on your team levels at the same speed. This means newbies can stick to XP soaking, which keeps them useful without needing to know their character well enough to build toward a specific combo. Having only 5-7 (depending on player level) free toons to pick from a week means they're not overwhelmed by choice. When they DO find one they really like, they've likely got plenty of Gold (it comes fast early on) to pick it up.

HOTS is gorgeous if you have the muscle to crank it up. I have a machine with a 560ti in it in the living room that can barely manage the game on Medium. A single 760 can run it on Ultra with a little frame dropping, and my 970 plows through with no difficulty.

I prefer HOTS simply because it isn't designed to make new players feel like outcasts, and I was able to get my friends (and girlfriend) into it due to that smooth accessibility. Having recognizable characters, with abilities that fit them, is also a bonus.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
1. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 3, 2015, 09:29 HoSpanky

I'm not so sure they got BETTER...feel more like maybe people just hated Comcast a bit more this year. Also, I'm expecting that Ubi has messed up more than EA this last year.  

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Launches
16. Re: Heroes of the Storm Launches Jun 3, 2015, 08:42 HoSpanky

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 3, 2015, 05:53:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 23:03:
Uhh, yeah. There's nothing P2W about it.
Other than the entire business model. Hiding characters behind a paywall makes it P2W, something that Dota 2 doesn't do. Sure you can acquire them through gold but players that spend real money on the game have an advantage.

Valve got the business model just right with Dota 2, whereas HotS is all about grind and microtransactions.

Have you actually PLAYED the game? If you don't have an entire team you always play with, you don't know what characters your teammates will have. You never know what your enemies have until the game has started, and you don't know what map you'll be on.
So, EXPLAIN, please, how it's p2w, because there's no single Super Badass. Not having all the characters is NOT a disadvantage, and the ones you like are easy enough to buy with the in-game coins.
Complain about the simpler mechanics, maybe (altho they're what make the game accessible to my friends), but Blizzard is being pretty generous with the character-purchasing gold. Having to "buy" a character makes it feel more worthwhile to learn each one, rather than having people constantly joining your team with no clue what they're doing. The weeks Abathur is in free rotation are awful, he's an incredibly weird character that I've never seen anyone play effectively.

The complaints in this thread seem more about a hatred of Blizzard, or maybe an "intruder" in the MOBA category, than actual valid complaints about the game itself.

News Comments > NVIDIA Launches GTX 980ti; New Drivers; & GSYNC Features
10. Re: NVIDIA Launches GTX 980ti; New Drivers; & GSYNC Features Jun 1, 2015, 10:51 HoSpanky

I'd really like to get a g-sync monitor, but neither of the current manufacturers are trustworthy. I went through 3 Acer monitors over a weekend, each one had stuck pixels. Ended up just getting my money back and buying an LG.

Asus monitors don't have the best reputation either, it'd have been nice to see Nvidia partner with Samsung or LG. At the insane prices they're asking, you'd expect the monitors to be the best thing that company's ever made, but current g-sync monitors are getting bad reviews...if it's a $900 monitor, it's better be getting Dell-level reviews.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
14. Re: Steam Top 10 May 31, 2015, 19:36 HoSpanky

I have to leave the side panel off my case when I run GtAV or W3, they both crank up the video cards.

In W3, it would crash, in GTAV it would start stuttering. Side panel off solved both.

MY issue was I thought I'd go single-card, and bought an ACX-cooled video card. Then the second was the same, and I should have bought rear-venting cards. Oh well. Side off doesn't hurt anything and my case interior is fucking immaculate anyway. The ambient heat was so bad with the side panel that the processor was getting toasty (corsair h80i, set to turn red at 75C). The cards shoot all the heat right out the side, and it behaves like a champ.

Point is: overheating is absolutely a possibility for W3 crashes. I've accepted that my rig has to run wide open to be reliable...OR I buy a less sexy case. Fuck that.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
3. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 31, 2015, 13:13 HoSpanky

Oooo Sho, that's an interesting trip! I'd be interested to hear if it's really as built into the culture as it seems.

I dunno if Australia is where I'd move to for any length of time. That place is packed end-to-end with Things That Want To Kill You.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. May 30, 2015, 22:14 HoSpanky

Totally forgot about the frag dolls.  

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
5. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs May 30, 2015, 16:57 HoSpanky

Since the Internet has done a piss poor job of self-regulating these idiots, the government is stepping in. Why is this a surprise? Being a smartmouth is one thing, posting personal info and death threats is another.  

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Launch Event
2. Re: Heroes of the Storm Launch Event May 29, 2015, 15:31 HoSpanky

Axis wrote on May 29, 2015, 14:16:
I'll preface this with the fact I generally don't like mobas, so...

...I played this during beta, and disliked it more than most.

I suppose it's the over-the-top rockstar-type glamor sensationalized style they made each character - totally uninteresting to me.

I don't understand what you mean by that. The characters are exactly the same as they are in their respective games, plus a higher detail level. Their attacks are similar to their abilities in their original games as well, if they were actually playable.

I actually like that they're so expressively animated, and each one is quite unique. They added the human part to Hammer so that there was a face for the sassy southern voice (she sadly looks like a WoW dwarf, making me think she should sound Scottish). Art is always subjective, altho considering it's a Blizzard game, what did you THINK it would look like?

News Comments > New Need for Speed Requires Internet Connection
20. Re: New Need for Speed Requires Internet Connection May 29, 2015, 11:36 HoSpanky

At least with a racing game, where most people want to race against real people, it's not such a problem. SimCity had to shoehorn multiplayer into a game that really doesn't have a good reason for it.

Still, EA notoriously shuts off servers for games that have a newer version, which lowers the value of the game.

News Comments > New Need for Speed Requires Internet Connection
8. Re: New Need for Speed Requires Internet Connection May 29, 2015, 09:47 HoSpanky

Oddly, the only game I've played where an always-on connection made the game more interesting was Test Drive Unlimited 2. If someone got tagged by the police, other players in the vicinity are given the option to become a cop and chase them down. I was made aware of this feature when I set off the police and suddenly named cars were chasing me around, being far more clever than any game AI. That's just one instance of how the multiplayer worked in there. Sadly, TDU2 had weird car physics and was pretty damn ugly even when it came out, which killed it. The godawful voice work in it made it painful to have the sound on. But the HUGE map made it pretty amazing, especially the way you'd switch between map and driving. If you haven't played it, it works like the one in GTAV, where it zooms up into the sky, but it's far more fluid, actually diving down into the car.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. May 27, 2015, 19:10 HoSpanky

Hahaha @ that completely botched sex scene. I actually hope one does that, hilarious!  

News Comments > Iron Brigade Replaces GFWL Matchmaking with Steam
4. Re: Iron Brigade Replaces GFWL Matchmaking with Steam May 27, 2015, 08:04 HoSpanky

This game is a hoot with friends. In Single Player, it's almost impossible to get a single mech capable of being effective against all enemy types on a given map. Even adding one person helps immensely, as long as you coordinate what weapons/towers you're bringing in. The short intros to levels are Double-Fine standard; mostly there to say something funny.

GFWL didn't seem to be a problem in IB, but that doesn't mean I'm sad it's been removed.

News Comments > Fraudulent ESO Keys Banned
21. Re: Fraudulent ESO Keys Banned May 27, 2015, 07:20 HoSpanky

They're not stolen CODES, they're simply purchased with stolen cards. And if you think it's not a big business, you're a fool. It's far easier to obtain and sell a digital product before the card owner realizes it than a physical product. They may purchase the keys from a lower-price territory, but that's not necessary since the original purchase price doesn't matter to the buyer, they're making 100% profit no matter what.

The "working man trying to catch a break" line is a terrible excuse. Altho, unlike people selling tvs from the back of a van, you're purchasing from an e-tailer who can make heir site look as pretty as any legit key seller. The site may normally BE a legit key seller, but they bought up a bunch of cheap keys and didn't ask where they came from. And with Steam offering crazy deals on games (altho usually not brand new ones), it could be difficult to tell if the site is legit.

I'm not sure revoking the keys is a good idea, but it DOES lower the chance that you'll buy from that vendor again, which is their end goal. With a game packed with micro transactions, I'm not sure how the dev loses on this one. When the new Mortal Kombat had keys available for $15 the week it came out, THAT should have raised some red flags. Oddly, didn't hear anything about bans for that one.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
7. Re: Steam Top 10 May 24, 2015, 21:53 HoSpanky

I'm impressed that the Witcher has two spots, means it isn't just redemption codes from video cards.  

1032 Comments. 52 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo