Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 753 (Graduate)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > New WHQL GeForce Drivers
29. Re: New WHQL GeForce Drivers Oct 29, 2013, 09:07 HoSpanky

Hey, I thought shadowplay was destroying my framerate last night, then realized how loud my computer was getting. Checked the drivers, and while every other setting had carried over, SLI didn't. Computer ran quiet again, and Shadowplay doesn't cause any noticeable framerate issues, altho the resulting video doesn't run as smoothly. It's not AWFUL, but it certainly isn't the buttery smoothness that I was playing. Might be the codec, or WMP. Any suggestions?

Also thanks Eraser and Dmitri, GF's computer has bluescreened a few times just browsing the Internet. Gonna try the power management thing. Mine hasn't had that problem, and it's running a pair of 760s.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New WHQL GeForce Drivers
21. Re: New WHQL GeForce Drivers Oct 28, 2013, 18:47 HoSpanky

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 10:53:
The GTX 600 series has an h.264 encoder built into the GPU? WTF? Funny they mention that now, as x.264 encoding tools don't seem aware that my GPU apparently has a real-time h.264 encoder...

The hardware encoder shouldn't be THAT much of a surprise. It's how the Nvidia Shield streams games, and that requires a 600 series or better. Nice to see they're realizing it has other uses.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
13. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 27, 2013, 18:25 HoSpanky

What puts people off of Arkham Origins is that it feels...lazy. I've found two locations that I had to reload from checkpoint on, and there's a fast travel tower that bugs permanently (until it hopefully gets patched) if you solve it slightly differently than they expected you to. There's a combat maneuver that counters two enemy attacks at the same time, and while I see batman going through the motions, he always, ALWAYS fails to grab one of the goons and I get knocked out of my combo. The combat managed to get broken when all they did was copy Rocksteady's game.

But what bothers me the most is that they recycled Arkham City quite a bit. No, it's not the same map exactly, but like Crackdown and its sequel, it's too familiar. If it were polished to perfection, I could look past the recycling, but it's not.

It's not a terrible game. Really, I don't hate it. But it doesn't feel like a new game, where AC did, even tho it was "still Batman", and it's buggier than a NYC basement apartment.

News Comments > NVIDIA "R331 Game Ready" Driver
13. Re: NVIDIA Oct 21, 2013, 18:03 HoSpanky

Yeah I've been pretty lucky with the drivers actually behaving, haven't had issues with the recent releases. The only hardware that doesn't play nice is the f'n "killer nic" that came on my mobo. Replaced with a $13 tp-link and I've been running great ever since.

I actually expected issues, first time running SLI since my voodoo2s. Nvidia's SLI is amazingly easy to set up. Basically a checkbox.

News Comments > BioShock 2 Removes GFWL; Joins Steam
20. Re: BioShock 2 Removes GFWL; Joins Steam Oct 4, 2013, 09:01 HoSpanky

I only hope Red Faction Guerilla and Iron Brigade (both devs still in business!) get patched to Steam. Love them both, would hate to be kept from playing them due to being saddled with a dead DRM function.  

News Comments > Daikatana on Steam
41. Re: Daikatana on Steam Oct 3, 2013, 08:50 HoSpanky

I have an unopened copy of Daikatana, signed by Romero. Was thinking of seeing if it was worth anything to sell on ebay.  

News Comments > Terraria Patched
4. Re: Terraria Patched Oct 1, 2013, 10:03 HoSpanky

Yep, there goes a good 40-50 hours. According to Steam, I've already sunk 184 hours into it, more than any other game, aside from maybe WoW, back when I played it.

Just goes to show that a good game concept is more important than amazing graphics. That's not to say I won't be picking up The Division, because HOLY SHIT, but terraria's amateur-hour pixel art doesn't even begin to stop me from playing it.

News Comments > Steam Controller Announced
58. Re: Into the Black Sep 28, 2013, 09:13 HoSpanky

Jesus, Steam explicitly states that if none of this interests you, just use steam like you always have. They're expanding our options, and you're crying about it. Isn't pc gaming all about the choices you have available?

For some games, I don't think any of Valve's new offerings will make a difference for, like RTS titles. Others, like Grid 2...man, I love the idea of streaming that out to my living room to play on the big tv. I only have to keep one computer swimming in new parts, the occasional jaunt to the living room magically upgrades as my tower does. The only catch is making sure the Steambox I chose supports wireless Xbox 360/180 controllers. Hate the Xb180 all you want, but I'll likely be picking up one of the controllers to see if I like it better than the current one I use. The upside to the Steam controller is every Steambox will support it. Dunno if I like the button placement but that could change before release.

Several posters in here are flat out TERRIFIED that Valve is abandoning traditional pc gaming. They aren't. Calm down. Ignore all three announcements if you want. SteamOS is a big win for Linux gamers, as it justifies making versions of games that run on it. The Steambox is another OPTION, and a nice one for being able to play your games anywhere in the house without running extra wires or moving your tower around. The controller is currently the weakest of the 3, just because it doesn't seem like a big improvement. Hands-on may change opinions drastically, or cement them. I'm merely interested/curious right now.

So please stop crying. Valve may appear to be sneaking into Console territory, but it's more of a way to bridge the gap from console to pc. That gap is frightening to a lot of people. Make it easy, and we get more pc gamers, which, as has been pointed out, is only a good thing for us.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Sep 27, 2013, 21:37 HoSpanky

Sine Mora and Skydrift are pretty decent games...Sine Mora is absolutely gorgeous, so rare when most side scrolling shmups are either "retro" or arena-based. Lots and LOTS of not-so-mini bosses and end bosses, some of which are the entire level. Every once in a while its hard to tell what you'll actually collide with, but thats only in a couple cramped-quarters sections. Worth getting the bundle for alone.  

News Comments > More on Steam Living Room Plans Next Week
17. Re: More on Steam Living Room Plans Next Week Sep 20, 2013, 18:14 HoSpanky

Let me stream games from my overpowered computer to a wee box connected to my tv, and I'd buy that in a heartbeat. Nvidia's Shield does it but only on that stupid handheld, I want to run it over cat5, so I'm not locked at 30fps like the shield. Or has someone hacked the software and gotten it running on the ouya (which can "see" 360 controllers)? Cuz that would get me to buy an ouya. Nvidia, SELL me that software for it!  

News Comments > 25 More Steam Greenlights
13. Re: 25 More Steam Greenlights Sep 19, 2013, 20:59 HoSpanky

Just took a look at Superhot, I'm...dunno. it's certainly got a neat look to it but if it literally has one weapon, I'm thinking this had better be $5.  

News Comments > SOE: Twitter Abusers Can Be Banned from Games
46. Re: SOE: Twitter Abusers Can Be Banned from Games Sep 19, 2013, 20:56 HoSpanky

I see several people saying it's absurd that they ban you for something you're doing "on an unrelated system (twitter)". Considering they'll have a facebook/twitter posting ability built into the game system, it's not "unrelated". Still a bit of a stretch, but if people post videos of them being racist assholes in a game on Twitter....then I can see why SOE may ban them.  

News Comments > 25 More Steam Greenlights
11. Re: 25 More Steam Greenlights Sep 19, 2013, 17:18 HoSpanky

The instant it's available to pre-order directly on Steam, I'm buying NextCarGame. Hope they have the pre-order price available for a little bit at that point.

Bugbear games have already been on Steam, why did they have to get this one greenlit? Is it because they don't have a publisher?

News Comments > Day One - Garry's Incident Preorders
6. Re: Day One - Garry's Incident Preorders Sep 19, 2013, 08:39 HoSpanky

Since this is such an odd way to spell "Gary", I thought it was something related to Garry's Mod.

It could be neat. Not gonna knock someone for NOT making another CoD or zombie game. Soooo fucking tired of zombies, they're the lazy developer's go-to monster. Show me something I haven't seen in 100 other games.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 14, 2013, 13:24 HoSpanky

When choosing a mobo, just avoid any with a Killer Nic onboard. The only thing it kills is network functionality. I finally traced the weird issues my machine was having down to it, disabling it and slapping a $13 tp-link nic in.

My recent build also included a water cooler, the corsair h80i. I haven't attempted overclocking, as it was purchased to make it quiet, but it fits in my midtower case rather nicely. The software for it is...iffy, but only needs to be run once. Set up the fan speeds, the led colors, and done forever. My girlfriend immediately wanted one for her machine, as mine became dead silent during desktop use. It gets noisier during gaming, but that's likely mostly from the two 760s I crammed into a source 210e.

As others have said, the processor isn't all that big of a deal anymore. An i5, stock clock speeds, is plowing thru anything I hand it.

If you want to build a TINY machine, Asus just put out a 760 Mini, which somehow is a full gtx760 in an itty bitty card. Not particularly quiet according to the review I saw though.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Origins PhysX Trailer
10. Re: Batman: Arkham Origins PhysX Trailer Sep 13, 2013, 14:23 HoSpanky

The particle effects in Hawken are physx-driven, and are pretty incredible. They do drag the framerate down on a 560, but now that I'm on a pair of 760s...nothing stops them.  

News Comments > Next Car Game on Greenlight
8. Re: Next Car Game on Greenlight Sep 8, 2013, 18:23 HoSpanky

DangerDog wrote on Sep 8, 2013, 16:44:
I was looking for assurances that they're not going to turn it into a "social" multiplayer centric racing game, I hate that facebook like aspect to new racing games.

Do you mean the "here's your time, here's your friends' times on this course" part? Or do you mean a game with very little to nothing to the single player experience?

Personally, I'm pretty excited for this. Ultimate Carnage was a hoot, even if an entire clean race would occasionally be ruined by the car hitting some tiny piece of debris and sent flying off course. Will be preordering just as soon as I get my Paypal account sorted out. Haven't used it since I changed banks.

News Comments > Steam Trade Offers Launch
40. Re: I read sept 3 and think Rome II Sep 5, 2013, 17:34 HoSpanky

GMG may buy their keys in other regions, where game prices are lower due to general economy. I recall there being an issue with a game a year or so ago due to that, like it only would download a specific language version (not English). My memory on that is fuzzy tho, may have been a different reseller, but I wouldn't be surprised if GMG does the same thing.  

News Comments > Steam Trade Offers Launch
37. Game trading Sep 5, 2013, 16:12 HoSpanky

So uh, since this seems like the right place to post it:
I have a copy of Splinter Cell Blacklist that I don't want. Willing to trade it for a copy of Crysis 3. I realize one is uplay and the other is origin and really has nothing to do with this thread, but I'm lazy and don't want to update my Paypal account so I can sell it on eBay, then turn around and buy a copy of crysis3.

On-topic, I didn't realize trading inventory wasn't possible before? Or was it, and this just puts a better interface to it?

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 4, 2013, 19:00 HoSpanky

despite the official release stating that HDMI 2 will NOT require new cables, here's betting Monster and Rocketfish jump on it and sell "HDMI 2.0!!!" cables for an extra $50 over their already nutso prices.  

753 Comments. 38 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo