Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 847 (Graduate)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 7, 2014, 15:09 HoSpanky

Flying cars don't exist, and never will on a consumer-owned level, because People Are Stupid.

Ever run out of gas? Then you are the reason they won't exist. Run out of gas in a normal car, you hike to a station and feel dumb. Run out in a flying car, you plummet to the ground, almost assuredly killing not only you, but anyone unlucky enough to be in the car's path. Same goes for ANY vehicle maintenance, which most people don't do. ANY malfunction very likely means everyone in the vehicle and a dozen others...are dead.

We still have malfunctioning airplanes, and those have trained mechanics looking after them. Hell, we STILL can't figure out where flight 370 went. And that's the BEST people working on it. Imagine if the worst, most irresponsible idiots were allowed to control a vehicle that gets airborne.

And now, you will be terrified if a flying car actually comes to market.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 6, 2014, 10:13 HoSpanky

Wonder if they asked Andreesen if he'd like to be the guy that throws the switch when Snowden's in the chair. If he'd like to be the guy that actually kills Snowden for POTENTIALLY hurting his bottom line. I mean, he wants him to die for it, since that's the punishment for being convicted of being a traitor. Maybe he'd like to physically carry out the punishment he apparently thinks is appropriate.  

News Comments > Xbox One Controller Windows Drivers
9. Re: Xbox One Controller Windows Drivers Jun 5, 2014, 18:37 HoSpanky

LittleMe wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 18:21:
Flo wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 18:14:
But no word on a wireless option, so at the moment, useless for me.

It might work with the same wireless PC adapter that the X360 controller used...? Not sure but it makes sense. Uses same wireless frequencies?

I'm PRETTY sure the 360 controllers use RF, and the Xbone controllers use a reworked bluetooth. It won't pair with normal BT receivers. I'm assuming that they'll put out a package like they have with the 360 controllers, with the wireless dongle and a controller. That's when I'll be interested. My wireless 360 controller works perfectly right now, I'm not interested in gaining a tether.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 5, 2014, 12:30 HoSpanky

If you'd played the original Forza horizon, they did the same there. 30fps, but rock solid. It never, ever faltered, and that's far better for racing than having the framerate dip occasionally.

Also, FH had an adaptive IQ system, kicking edge AA and better smoke effects when not moving quickly, and especially when you pause to take a screenshot. At high speed with 6 or so other racers onscreen and the occasional pedestrian vehicle, the AA isn't going but you don't notice.

So, 30fps, if it's as perfectly solid as the original game, I'm happy with it. I'd love 60, but FH was solid proof 30fps works quite well. If you have a 360, FH has a demo, see for yourself.

News Comments > Dead Rising 3 Steam Plans?
1. Re: Dead Rising 3 Steam Plans? Jun 4, 2014, 23:21 HoSpanky

It'd be weird for Capcom NOT to put it out on Steam.  

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Delayed; Batmobile Trailer
5. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Delayed; Batmobile Trailer Jun 3, 2014, 13:28 HoSpanky

I'm happy with a delay if it means the game is as well-done as the first two Batman games. Rocksteady's proven they make good games, WB would be silly to push for a Christmas release if it meant tarnishing their reputation.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 3, 2014, 01:40 HoSpanky

Forza Horizon 2 just may make me buy an Xbone.

Sure, it's also (stupidly) coming out for the 360, and it's possible the Xbone version will suffer for it. Like any same person I'll wait for reviews. Still, the first Horizon was fan-fucking-tastic, once you learn to tune out the constant micro transactions they try to get you to purchase.

News Comments > Watch Dogs PC Performance Patch Plans
19. Re: Watch Dog PC Performance Patch Plans May 30, 2014, 13:50 HoSpanky

So, this game has its worst issues when driving past intersections, judging from comments.
That's when the game has to be prepared for you to look either direction. So it has to prep the textures for all those buildings and cars.

How many of the people complaining have this game installed on a 7200rpm hard drive? I've seen a couple people say it's a night and day difference if you put it on a sata3 SSD. While the game obviously requires a lot of VRAM (why is that such a surprise?), people pointing fingers at video cards may be looking the wrong way. The larger games get, the more assets they have to juggle, and drive loading can absolutely slow a game down.
So, why would it run decently on a console? It doesn't. It runs at 30fps, and drops below that. That's on a system where they can toss the assets around in 4gb (or more) of ram, while a lot of people are still using 1.5-2gb cards. While people say the game isn't stunning looking, how much of the texturing is recycled?

It may also be shit coding. I said I don't have the game, because games have all sorts of shit wrong at launch and I can get the game, patched up to the best it'll ever be, for $10 or so in 6-8 months. Anyway, the problem is likely a mix of the above, not JUST "bad coding". Partially, sure. Anyone here running it off a SSD? Curious how it performs.

News Comments > SSFIVAE Replacing GFWL with Steamworks Too
5. Re: SSFIVAE Replacing GFWL with Steamworks Too May 28, 2014, 10:50 HoSpanky

Several of my friends and I picked up Injustice during the Amazon sale, and we're having a blast with it. Doesn't feel laggy at all online, no clue how they're doing it. Maybe not the best fighting game ever made but it's VERY entertaining, even when sitting out in King of the Hill.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2014, 21:22 HoSpanky

Ehh, Blue, I was more annoyed with the Qdoba radio ads with the whitest white announcer ever saying "yup, Qdoba queso be trendin".  

13. Watch_Dogs May 22, 2014, 20:18 HoSpanky

I'm *interested*, but not much. It's rare that I buy a game right when it comes out. Prices drop FAST anymore, and my friends don't play multiplayer games until they're cheap, so my motivation is low. Hell, I just started playing Bioshock Infinite yesterday.

Maybe, to celebrate Watch_Dogs coming out, I'll actually install and play Sleeping Dogs. I keep hearing it's actually quite good.

News Comments > Steam In-Home Streaming Launches
13. Re: Steam In-Home Streaming Launches May 21, 2014, 20:46 HoSpanky

I'd like to see the voice communication allow me to select where incoming voice audio goes...I'd rather THAT goes to my headset, while game audio goes to the speakers. but NOPE, gotta send all the audio to the same place, so I can't separate a friend's voice from game audio. I turn it off but EVERY UPDATE turns it back on.  

7. Re: Morning Consolidation May 21, 2014, 14:46 HoSpanky

I have a WiiU, but the handful of Wii games that I have don't have online functions. I honestly haven't even tried using Wii games on it.

I would assume, that since it'll run a Wii emulator, it won't work.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. May 18, 2014, 15:56 HoSpanky

Indeed, time for a day trip up to Chicago.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
9. Re: Steam Top 10 May 18, 2014, 13:25 HoSpanky

I don't understand why people insist on buying Early Access. There are so many ACTUALLY COMPLETE games out. EA games aren't ever required to put out a final version. If they abandon the game after their EA sales drop off, then you're stuck having often paid full price (or more!) for a game that will never be completed.

I'd rather re-play an old game I loved than play a promising Early Access game that crashes or erases my savegame or whatever. I'll buy the finished version if it comes out.

Full Disclosure: I pre-purchased Next Car Game, but it was to get the hilarious physics playground that isn't remotely representative of the game itself. This was also before they put the game on Steam in Early Access. I'm not even sure I care about the "real" game much. I just want more Playground stuff to do.

11. Re: Out of the Blue May 18, 2014, 11:20 HoSpanky

Yeah prez, if I somehow won the lottery or invented something everyone needs, I'd absolutely do the same job.

The places they get dogs from will euthanize an owner-surrendered dog same-day. Gives that dog zero chance, even if it was a perfectly behaved dog and the owner moved to a no-pets apartment.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale May 17, 2014, 12:50 HoSpanky

Nice try, EA. call me when Titanfall is $10, or when you've shrunk the install to a reasonable size. They bothered to patch in 144mhz monitor support, why is there no option to rip out the uncompressed audio?  

News Comments > Titanfall Patch Adds "Extreme" Frame Rate Support
21. Re: Titanfall Patch Adds May 13, 2014, 14:53 HoSpanky

Scheherazade wrote on May 13, 2014, 14:25:
I use 2560x1440 @ 120hz. (ips)

It's kind of the best of both worlds. Happy with it.

I know IPS has a tad more pixel latency, but I'll spare that 4ms or so for the nicer colours. I'm getting old anyways, it's not like I can FPS like I used to (not like it matters, since action [i.e. quake/ut] FPS games are a relic of the past too).

-scheherazade

Who makes your monitor? Mine is an LG, but runs at 60hz, hadn't really heard of any 120 or 144 monitors that were IPS, so I haven't even bothered to look. Also, my machine is designed to stay QUIET, and running a higher max fps means more work. At 60 fps, neither video card has to work very hard, and my framerates very VERY rarely dip below that solid 60.

Altho I think, in the end, the Oculus is going to be deciding what upgrades I need (if any).

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale May 11, 2014, 14:55 HoSpanky

Pixeljunk shooter is pretty cheap, and if you haven't played it yet, has incredible liquid simulation. It's also a really fun game, altho it ends right when you feel it's about to really start whooping your ass. There's a sequel, which continues from where 1 ends, and it gets hard, fast. Hoping it comes to the pc soon, currently still only on psn.

But for a little over two dollars, it's a must-buy...as long as you have a gamepad with two analog sticks. It'd be impossible with mouse/keyboard.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
21. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 11, 2014, 10:13 HoSpanky

harlock wrote on May 11, 2014, 03:10:
Fantaz wrote on May 11, 2014, 02:59:
given the spec requirements for Watch Dogs on PC it will likely run like shit. might be badly coded for PC platform, like GTA4 was.

yeh from the specs it looks like they are counting on the hardware to do all the heavy lifting, which almost always means its poorly optimized

like the HBAO thing.. i feel like its just barely supported, so they can make a bullet point for marketing.. i bet it will tank framerates on everything except superbeast machines

If it wasn't an Ubi game, I'd be inclined to agree. But Ubi hasn't just been making "good enough" pc ports. Far Cry 3, recent Asscreed games...they run fantastically and look so much better than the console versions, it's as if you're playing a sequel.
It's still possible Watch Dogs will be relying on hardware. But I'm not going to jump to conclusions, given Ubi's track record in the last couple years.

847 Comments. 43 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo