Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 600 (Apprentice)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 2, 2010, 09:32 HoSpanky

Big fan of my $25 Laserjet I bought off ebay a couple years ago. Came with a toner cartridge of "unknown quantity" that I've never had to replace. Sure, it's so old that Windows 7 doesn't even know what the hell a 2100 IS, but it still works just fine. Bought a $30 network adapter, everything's great.

And Seph....when you lose your job because you point out that your boss was taking bribes (and they fire you instead), you need your printer to pump out several copies of your resume.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > StarCraft II Manual Patch
3. Re: StarCraft II Manual Patch Sep 24, 2010, 16:36 HoSpanky

hooray, trolls.  

News Comments > StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty Patched
1. Re: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty Patched Sep 22, 2010, 14:18 HoSpanky

The longer build time for zealots was necessary, but now I cant get under a 6.5 minute win versus Insane AI due to it. The achievement for pulling that off in under 5 minutes might be impossible now.
Also, the "build order" screen is all messed up. It was POSITIVE I built 19 cybernetic cores and about 7 observers (but no zealots or probes). Hotfix?

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Team Ico’s PS3 remakes confirmed Sep 15, 2010, 12:38 HoSpanky

I second this response! Sotc in particular was too much for the poor ps2, im hoping they fix the weird terrain draw-in the original had. Ico worked pretty much perfectly, but I'd still love to replay it in non-blurry mode.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Epic Citadel Sep 2, 2010, 21:15 HoSpanky

This is some voodoo magic going on here. In motion it's actually more impressive than the screenshots.  

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Sep 1, 2010, 14:14 HoSpanky

I've been playing less and less on Live each year. Had a subscription since it was launched with basically moto GP and MechAssault. Yeah there were a couple others but they aren't worth mentioning.
I agree with pyloff, the service just isn't worth that to me. Granted, amazon routinely has sub cards for $30, and I may hold onto my account if I can always snag one of those each year (or a few all at once). There's always a couple co-op games each year worth playing.

Also, MS really needs to put out another mechAssault game. They were silly but great fun.

News Comments > Battlezone II Patch
6. Re: Battlezone II Patch Aug 31, 2010, 14:11 HoSpanky

Here's my vote along with Keith: this needs to show up on GoG, I can't find my disc and I'd love to play this again.  

News Comments > Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Limited Edition Announced
8. Re: Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Limited Edition Announced Aug 18, 2010, 07:19 HoSpanky

The arcadey look may have something to do with Criterion developing this one. I'm not sure they know how to DO anything else. It'll be ridiculous, but it will almost undoubtedly be very, very fun.

As for the initial shipments being Limited Editions for the same price....I LIKE that idea. Now, I know noone's going to release some special edition with lots of physical goodies in the box (like any of the Blizzard ones) for the same price, but getting a bonus for being an early adopter is so rare these days.

If I wasn't broke right now I'd be picking this one up....a racing game from Criterion is as good of a guarantee as you can get. Well, ok, I'd bet pretty heavily on Dirt3 being spectacular too.

News Comments > Worms Reloaded Trailer
5. Re: Worms Reloaded Trailer Aug 16, 2010, 21:49 HoSpanky

Why only 4-worm teams? Because this is just a port of the game they put out last year on the 360 and iPhone. At half the cost. They'd better have a metric shit-ton of more content over that version to justify being a year later and twice the price. I love mah Worms Armageddon as much as anyone, but I haven't been impressed with their newer games.  

News Comments > BFG RMA Refusal
53. Re: BFG RMA Refusal Aug 16, 2010, 21:45 HoSpanky

I gotta agree with the people who are staying on-topic here: EVGA is your new manufacturer to watch for.

Back when the 7800s were launched, and had this new-fangled "DDR3", I bought an EVGA 7800. So did a co-worker.
A year or so later, our 7800s finally crapped (the DDR3 they were using was VERY new, and incredibly unreliable). We both RMA'd our cards, which they had quit making. They sent him an 8600 (woowoo he got dx10 support) and I got an overclocked 7950...the fastest 7000 series card they ever made.

Needless to say, I haven't bought another brand since. I just pray they don't go under too, that'd be a damn shame.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
1. Re: Sunday Mobilization Aug 15, 2010, 19:35 HoSpanky

best part is that the John Carmack tech5 thing link is to a twitter post saying, word for word, exactly what the link says. I felt like I clicked on a thumbnail and it brought up the same thumbnail in another window.  

News Comments > id: No Tech 5 Licensing
41. Re: id: No Tech 5 Licensing Aug 13, 2010, 10:14 HoSpanky

Gotta agree with Fion here. Everyone is hellbent on bashing iD (and Carmack in particular) for...no apparent reason. iD's engines have ALWAYS been front of the pack upon release, and Tech 5 looks no different.
I noticed MULTIPLE idiots posting about how any games made with this will be cramped corridor-shooters. Apparently these people haven't even taken one look at Rage or the tech5 engine. Rage is an open world game, largely outdoors. It'll run nicely on pretty much anything, and will scale up so you can make even your brand new computer cry.

I'm pretty sure most of the people posting on here are on autopilot, complaining about shit just to be whiners, without any regard for whether or not what they're typing has any truth to it.

News Comments > John Carmack: No New id IP for Years
16. Re: John Carmack: No New id IP for Years Aug 12, 2010, 13:04 HoSpanky

Tumbler wrote on Aug 12, 2010, 12:02:
I wish ID would basically move on from their old IP's. Make an RPG, make a racing game. Don't make another FPS.

Err, apparently Tumbler hasn't looked at Rage much. It's got indoor areas, yes, but it's also got large, supposedly free-roam outdoor parts as well. Racing game? Why yes, that's actually a large component of Rage.

Yes, iD's made pretty much the same games since they did the original wolfie. They're leaving the corridors (for the most part) and trying outdoors, and if the framerate holds up, it'll be yet another technical marvel. Not expecting the story to hold up, but I DO expect that the gameplay will be rock-solid.

So yeah, Tumbler, iD IS trying something new. They aren't quite ready to completely step out of the genre they created, but for once, they ARE trying to make a DIFFERENT game.

News Comments > Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light in September
2. Re: Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light in September Aug 7, 2010, 10:33 HoSpanky

Agreed, Mac.

It's $15 on the 360, and if it's missing the online co-op they were PROMOTING THE DAMN THING WITH, there's gonna be a LOT of angry xbox owners. Doesn't matter if it's coming later, on the game's info page at MS, it clearly states online co-op. if it's not in it in release day, people are going to go apeshit.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/l/laracroftgolxbla/

This comment was edited on Aug 7, 2010, 10:41.

News Comments > StarCraft II Sales Estimates
29. Re: StarCraft II Sales Estimates Jul 29, 2010, 06:34 HoSpanky

eunichron wrote on Jul 29, 2010, 05:26:
As far as single player, all of the pre-release arguments of "3 separate games" and "ZOMG $60" were totally shattered. It is well worth the $60... it's massive, amazingly well done. 26 missions in total, and each one took me on average 20-30 minutes to complete, and I'm a veteran SC player, and I've been playing the SC2 beta since it began, so that's around 13 hours of gameplay for someone that already knew what they were doing. The story is interesting enough that it keeps you wanting to play the next mission, but it can be a little tongue in cheek at times.

technically there's 29 missions, but you can only play 26 of them in a single playthrough...there's 3 points where you have to make a choice as to which way a mission goes down (and they are quite different missions). The decisions have minor repercussions in this game....I'm wondering if they'll affect what missions you get in the addons (even though they'll be seen from another race's perspective).

seeing the amazing amount of detail put into the non-gameplay portions of the game, it's quite understandable why they had to separate the 3 races into their own product - we'd have been waiting another 2-3 years if they'd combined it all into one. By then it'd have looked dated. Right now, the game actually looks shockingly good, which is unusual for Blizzard...they're usually pretty far behind, tech-wise.

News Comments > StarCraft II Trailer
29. Re: StarCraft II Trailer Jul 22, 2010, 10:41 HoSpanky

Again, the single player game isn't any shorter than the original Starcraft, it's just all done with one race. I doubt the 2 expansions will be $60 each, although I wouldn't expect them to be less than $40 either.

Blizzard hasn't put out a bad game yet. They've killed at LEAST 2 near-finished (one was completely finished) projects because they weren't pleased with how they turned out. If any company can sell their games on faith alone, it's Blizzard.

I'm not only excited to play the SP game and some versus (although I'll admit I'm not a HUGE fan of the versus), but I can't WAIT to see the crazy mods people come up with.

edited to make the 2nd paragraph seem less ADHD.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 21, 2010, 18:36 HoSpanky

I haven't ponied up for the full game yet, but Limbo's demo is damn impressive.
Altho asking $15 for a game that's pretty short seems a bit rough. I bought Windosill ($3) on Steam, and it's SUPER short...but the fun I had playing it was worth the cost. From the reviews, Limbo pulls the same trick.

News Comments > Alice: Madness Returns Announced
9. Re: Alice: Madness Returns Announced Jul 20, 2010, 20:19 HoSpanky

Yeah, I loved the original, was gorgeous (at the time) and pretty fun. I haven't gone back and played it recently, it probably doesn't look quite like I remember. I have the model of the Cheshire Cat from it sitting on my desk currently. The accompanying Alice model is standing guard in a box of older games, probably including her own.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 20, 2010, 13:30 HoSpanky

huh. I'm 403 forbidden from looking at that blurred line of Intel's.  

News Comments > WSJ: StarCraft II Cost More Than $100M
36. Re: WSJ: StarCraft II Cost More Than $100M Jul 17, 2010, 09:03 HoSpanky

Think of movies like District 9, which cost around $5 mil to make. If they made that on a back lot it would have been a $200 million movie.

D9 cost a bit over $30m to make. It was only that low because the actors were all unknown names.

I'm not even going to TRY to figure out this $100m SC2 thing. I *am* surprised it doesn't include the marketing budget, which has got to be ridiculous. There are big stand-up ads for it at Walmart, and I saw a 1/2 page ad for it in the friday paper. I would not be surprised if it's being advertised before movies in theaters.

Amusingly, they probably need zero advertising in the country it'll sell best in.

600 Comments. 30 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo