Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 854 (Graduate)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Phil Fish Baits YouTube; Becomes Twitter Quitter
28. Re: Phil Fish Baits YouTube; Becomes Twitter Quitter Jun 19, 2014, 11:30 HoSpanky

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 10:37:
HoSpanky wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 09:34:
I dot think Phil is entirely wrong here. People aren't just posting small bits of the game, they do multi-hour "let's play!" videos that basically show you the entire game. I'd be pissed if someone was getting PAID to display the game I'd spent years of my life making, in it's entirety. Movie companies shut down full feeds of their movies, and rightfully so. Aside from not being the active player, what's the difference between watching someone play thru an entire game you didnt buy, and watching a pirated movie? You still see all the content, free. And someone ELSE gets PAID to do this. I'd be cranky as well.
You can say piracy is unstoppable, and you'd be right. But YouTube is a legitimate company that is allowing essentially pirated videos to make people money. A game reviewer video isn't a problem here, those guys don't show you every piece of a game's story/puzzles/art. Is Phil an overreacting douche? Oh yeah. Jesus he's a spaz.

But I don't think he's completely wrong.

Your argument went completely into insanity land when you equaled watching someone playing games to watching copies of movies...

Games are entertainment content that you buy to play. And a developer that thinks someone recording himself playing his game is piracy is a nutjob. Unless that game was made to be watched instead of played, in which case that thing shouldn't even be called a game to begin with.

Art, Sound and Music are all secondary. Games are defined by GAMEPLAY something you can record but never replicate by watching.

Heck, the experience of watching a let's play and playing a game is completely different.

So, then you agree that it'd be OK to post a video of someone reading an entire book aloud on YouTube, and tolerated by the author? Because by your logic, it's a different experience, despite containing all of the media involved in the product. So the author should be cool with it, right?
Games are an interactive medium, yes. Are you saying that all of the artwork, story and cutscenes should be free, and only if you want to actually have a controller in your hands should you pay for any of those? Do you think that someone who watches an entire play through of bioshock infinite would purchase the game afterwards? The creator gets NOTHING, while some asshat with a video capture device actually gets PAID, by a legitimate, massive company.
Videos of CoD rounds aren't the issue here. There's no story there, and shot-of-a-lifetime videos are likely pleasing to content creators; it makes people want to play the game. Watching an entire single player game played out isn't going to make someone buy the game. It gives them a way to experience the story without paying.

Now, if Phil is trying to say ANY video, even a small, short one, of the game is a problem, he's a moron. Those DO help sell games. Full-length videos of a single player story are as likely to sell copies as posting full length movies.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Phil Fish Baits YouTube; Becomes Twitter Quitter
25. Re: Phil Fish Baits YouTube; Becomes Twitter Quitter Jun 19, 2014, 09:34 HoSpanky

I dot think Phil is entirely wrong here. People aren't just posting small bits of the game, they do multi-hour "let's play!" videos that basically show you the entire game. I'd be pissed if someone was getting PAID to display the game I'd spent years of my life making, in it's entirety. Movie companies shut down full feeds of their movies, and rightfully so. Aside from not being the active player, what's the difference between watching someone play thru an entire game you didnt buy, and watching a pirated movie? You still see all the content, free. And someone ELSE gets PAID to do this. I'd be cranky as well.
You can say piracy is unstoppable, and you'd be right. But YouTube is a legitimate company that is allowing essentially pirated videos to make people money. A game reviewer video isn't a problem here, those guys don't show you every piece of a game's story/puzzles/art. Is Phil an overreacting douche? Oh yeah. Jesus he's a spaz.

But I don't think he's completely wrong.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 18, 2014, 12:38 HoSpanky

I'd like to read about the Amazon phone thing, but WSJ wants $8 a month to fill more than half the screen with ads and show me a story about a product that I'm QUITE sure there'll be more media about than I could ever consume.

Fuck you, WSJ.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 18, 2014, 12:14 HoSpanky

I picked up MK8, and while it's certainly polished to a fine sheen, it feels...less of a game than Sonic All-Stars Transformed. There's only two game modes in MK8, and one is so lazily tacked-on that it feels like someone, a week before shipping, said "oh shit, we forgot to do Battle mode!".
MK8 has an advantage over SAST with better-defined borders, but amazingly, SAST has more consistent-feeling drifting, and WAY more variety in the single-player segment. SAST also has more characters (not just doubling the roster with Baby versions).

If you don't have a WiiU, wait for the next time SAST goes on sale for $5 and pick it up. Unless you HAVE to see Mario himself, it'll fulfill that need for some silly Kart racing.

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Jun 18, 2014, 09:26 HoSpanky

The video games with friends article is pretty good. While I enjoy a good single player narrative, my Ouya that I got at goodwill gained surprising traction with its large number of same-room multiplayer games. Nothing on the Ouya is PRETTY, but they're definitely FUN. My girlfriend really enjoyed No Brakes Valet, Bombsquad was enjoyable. Hidden In Plain Sight can entertain WAY more than just the 4 people playing, and the controls are very simple, you can convince ANYONE to play it. PS3 and 360 controllers can be hooked into it with ease, making expanding to 4 players (or 8, for a couple rare titles) less expensive than you'd think.
I like the idea of a bar that has these crazy games set up for play, especially ones with unique control methods that are likely too expensive to purchase for home use. I don't know if such a place would succeed in my city, but I'd gladly head up to Chicago for a day to go to one.

News Comments > Alien Isolation About 15 Hours
1. Re: Alien Isolation About 15 Hours Jun 18, 2014, 09:03 HoSpanky

In reality, if the game lasts 7-8 hours, and keep that oh-so-sweet-looking atmosphere the entire time, I'd be pleased.

I'm really on the fence with it. God LORD is it gorgeous, but there's only the one alien. A super clever game design can keep that from being dull, but there have been ZERO Alien-based games that had super clever designers.

Here's hoping these guys are the Rocksteady of the Alien franchise.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
8. Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 18, 2014, 08:47 HoSpanky

So, will Youtube ALSO be blocking the 10,000 OTHER videos that pop up when you type in "[artist] - official video". When I type in "official video", I don't want to see 10 seconds of the video and then cut to some fat fuck giving me his or her opinion on the video.

THAT is what kills people watching music videos on Youtube. If they're put in a different area, or there's a keyword that will push directly to ONLY the actual video by the artist....that'd be a nice change.

News Comments > GRID Autosport Street Discipline Trailer
5. Re: GRID Autosport Street Discipline Trailer Jun 18, 2014, 08:42 HoSpanky

Ehh...The multiplayer menu in G2 is what killed the game for me. You have to pick what area you want to play in, with NO indicator of how many people are playing that discipline. No games? Backing out isn't fast. Checking each one (and they overlap, so there's more than actually necessary) takes about a minute n a half. Finding no games, I generally just quit out of the game. Did that about a dozen times, was done with it.

I'm sure if I got a console version of it, there'd be players, that's the worst part.

News Comments > Free Peggle on Origin
4. Re: Free Peggle on Origin Jun 18, 2014, 08:35 HoSpanky

"What's the catch?"

"You have to install Origin."

I haven't honestly had any trouble out of Origin, I just don't like the idea of having a bunch of different platforms installed for running my games. Steam is running SO far out in the lead at this point that these other companies can't even offer what Steam does, much less something BETTER.

News Comments > Free DLC with Tropico 5 Disc in NA
5. Re: Free DLC with Tropico 5 Disc in NA Jun 16, 2014, 20:04 HoSpanky

It's a "Thanks for not cancelling your pre-order when you found out the disc version would come out later than the digital one, leaving us with thousands more physical copies than we expected to have" gift.  

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Gameplay Footage
13. Re: The Witcher 3 Gameplay Footage Jun 16, 2014, 17:01 HoSpanky

Alright Rattlehead, at least if you really did get that tattoo, the witcher logo is reasonably badass. Even if the game series dies and is long forgotten, the tat can survive on its own merit.  

News Comments > Watch Dogs Patch Plans & Homebrew Visual Upgrade
8. Re: Watch Dogs Patch Plans & Homebrew Visual Upgrade Jun 16, 2014, 10:18 HoSpanky

Verno wrote on Jun 16, 2014, 09:52:
I like many aspects of the gameplay but I agree the story is beyond terrible, Aiden is the worlds most unlikable protagonist whose characterization changes drastically from cutscene to cutscene. Also there is something comical about a middle aged guy trying to wear an outfit that looks like it belongs on a 20 year old. It's a good first entry but Ubisoft really needs to hire competent writers.

Wait, Aiden ISN'T in his early 20s? Every bit of promo for it appears that he is, but I haven't been paying THAT much attention I guess.

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Jun 16, 2014, 10:14 HoSpanky

Hundreds of dollars?
Who's giving their kid their credit card info?

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Ionball 2: Ionstorm
2. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Ionball 2: Ionstorm Jun 15, 2014, 22:15 HoSpanky

I agree, this does look fun!

Also, if you didn't already get it, Shatter is a pretty good arkanoid-style game, with more control over the ball.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
12. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 15, 2014, 20:52 HoSpanky

The people complaining about the driving being crap: are you playing with a gamepad or a wheel, or just using the keyboard? Saints Row the Third has pretty decent driving, when you have analog control over the gas and steering. It's not remotely realistic, but it's reliable. When on foot, I use m/kb, then switch to the controller for driving. The game lets both control methods run at the same time, so it's not like in GTA4 where you have to go into the menu every time you want to drive a car.

Curious if Sleepy Dogs does that as well, it'd be rather nice. I STILL haven't installed it, I bought it probably a year ago.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
6. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jun 15, 2014, 20:43 HoSpanky

Considering Watch_Dogs, and likely a LOT of Xbone/PS4 games coming to PS as well, I'm betting the cards will still be the same general prices, but packing 6+gb of memory.  

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
9. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jun 15, 2014, 20:36 HoSpanky

Cutter wrote on Jun 15, 2014, 19:53:
If I only want a few channels a la carte why can't I have that? There's zero technical reason for it.

Zero technical reason, sure. How many channels do you want to choose from? As soon as you can go ala carte, a huge percentage of channels would die. When cable companies negotiate for a channel, say, ESPN, they have to pay for 30 OTHER channels as well or ESPN will say go fuck yourself.

If you could JUST pick ESPN, those other 30 channels? Most of them would die. GRANTED, there really are a lot of crap channels, but SOMEONE watches them. ANY channel that gets removed lands that cable provider a fuckton of angry calls. You'll say it's fine, Survival Of The Fittest, until the channel YOU really like gets canned.

I guarantee, there's a channel you like that's currently ONLY alive because it's being subsidized by a far more successful one.

No, I'm not a shill, as someone here will UNDOUBTEDLY claim. I do work for a cable company, however. I'm just an installer/repair guy, and people ask me ALL THE TIME why we can't let them just pay for the 5 channels they actually watch.

I think, if things went ala carte, channels as they are would change to be sorted by category. A crime procedural channel, a small claims court channel, a channel for whatever category Maury is in, and so on. HBO, Cinemax, Showtime would survive on their own, no problem. Channels that are already heavily themed would probably make it, like Animal Planet. But their shows would be stripped down to the ABSOLUTE most popular, even midrange-popularity shows would get dumped, when the channel is forced to fend for itself.

I'm not saying it wouldn't, in a way, work. But tv would be a different animal entirely if people could pay ONLY for channels they want.

News Comments > Destiny Still Destined for PCs?
29. Re: Destiny Still Destined for PCs? Jun 14, 2014, 21:54 HoSpanky

Destiny doesn't really interest me. I lost interest in Bungie as a developer when 343 came stomping out with Halo 4. Most of H4 was spent wondering what next gen could really offer over that. Bungle has been tweaking the Halo engine for years and 343 has two years and absolutely blows Bungie out of the water.

Seriously, the ONLY thing Halo 4 failed on was Large Ship Explosions. They still looked like shit. Considering how good the rest of the game looked, it was disappointing.

So...Sorry, I'm more interested in what 343's gonna do next than Bungie. Especially when every trailer for Destiny just looks like Halo anyway.

News Comments > Dead Rising 3 PC Framerate Issues Possible
8. Re: Dead Rising 3 PC Framerate Issues Possible Jun 12, 2014, 11:15 HoSpanky

ViRGE wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 10:40:
Asmodai wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 09:59:
Ffs, they couldn't find a work experience kid somewhere that would come hang out for the day, play the game unlocked and say "well, this is the shit that happened."??

I bet they know exactly what's going to happen. But it's also budgeted as a straight port, so there's no time and funding to try to fix any bugs that occur when the physics engine operates above 30Hz.

In which case this is most decent thing they can do. If they can't fix it they can at least leave it unlocked as a YMMV option.

If they don't plan on spending the money to port it properly, I don't plan on spending the money to buy it properly. Another $5 steam sale purchase in a year.

I don't expect a completely rebuilt game. The stuff they're adding for the pc version of GTA V is well above expectations. I expect to be able to bump up framerate and resolution, and mouse/keyboard friendly controls. Anything on top of that is icing, but this 30fps physics lock is just idiotic.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 11, 2014, 20:30 HoSpanky

Picked up MK8 for $45 at Target a couple days ago. After a few hours with it, I can definitely say it's a fanTASTIC looking game, and it plays....like Mario Kart. There's only the one game mode, however, which is frustrating. Well, two, but Battle mode is basically race mode, since there are no dedicated arenas (yet...I'm hoping Nintendo read the reviews and adds them in DLC). The animations are smooth, the online play works nicely, and there's even a small chance you can kill that stupid blue shell now. Still...one (and a half) game mode.

I can't believe I'm gonna say this, but Sonic Racing Transformed is a better kart game. It's got FAR more variety in its single player, and a lot of that shows up in its (sadly, completely dead) multiplayer as well. The controls are solid, the levels are crazy...It just doesn't have Mario in it.

854 Comments. 43 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo