Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
West Point, NE 02/20

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 739 (Apprentice)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > TrackMania2 Demo
4. Re: TrackMania2 Demo Nov 8, 2013, 08:27 HoSpanky

The new TM games absolutely run on win64. Also I was able to get TM united to work just fine. If you moved the install folder from a 32bit version to 64, try deleting it and re-downloading the game.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saints Row IV Free DLC
14. Re: Saints Row IV Free DLC Nov 6, 2013, 07:43 HoSpanky

Creston wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 23:57:
nin wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 23:25:
HoSpanky wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 23:15:
Now if they'd spend a weekend pulling GFWL out of Red Faction Guerrilla!

I'd forgotten about that. Yeah, that'd be great!

I tried to replay it a few weeks ago (since I figured I might not have the chance to next year), and got all kinds of weird-ass light artifacts from sunlight on my 660ti. Tried different drivers, didn't fix it. Sucked

Yeah, other people get wackiness like all destructible geometry flickering. It's not your card, nor the drivers. there's a command line, -nod3d10 that sets it to dx9. Will fix your issues. Game is dx9 only, so you lose zero features.

Edited with proper command line

This comment was edited on Nov 6, 2013, 08:03.

News Comments > Saints Row IV Free DLC
5. Re: Saints Row IV Free DLC Nov 5, 2013, 23:15 HoSpanky

Actually, they're entire outfits, which is more work than people think. Actual geometry, not a simple texture pack. Not a HUGE amount of work, but...free. Very nice of them, considering any other company would try to get $5 out of you for them. This on top of the increasingly rare same-day release as the console versions.

Now if they'd spend a weekend pulling GFWL out of Red Faction Guerrilla!

News Comments > Steam Box Previews
10. Re: Steam Box Previews Nov 4, 2013, 14:52 HoSpanky

I'm excited for the controller, even though it isn't going to completely replace my kb/m. I'm even more excited for the video streaming. I've messed with nvidia's shadow play a bit, and the output from it is fantastic. I'm assuming Steam will take advantage of the hardware encoder in the recent nvidia cards, and from what one of the articles said, streaming will be available to play with sooner than the controller or Steamboxes.

It's been a long time since there's been anything to truly be excited about, hardware-wise, on the pc. Steam Controllers, streaming boxes, and the Oculus Rift all coming in the same general timeframe...whee!

News Comments > Oculus Rift 2014 Release Plans
1. Re: Oculus Rift 2014 Release Plans Nov 2, 2013, 11:42 HoSpanky

Wantwantwantwantwant

No other piece of hardware coming out is as potentially game-changing as this. While I'm absolutely terrified to use it for games like Amnesia, I'd buy it just to play Hawken. I'm hoping they realize two things before this comes out tho:

Games that aren't "ready" for Oculus should run in 3d, without head-tracking. Increases their usable games list to several hundred.

And computers running SLI should use each card for each eye. The scenes are near-identical, meaning render time shouldn't vary. Maybe there's a reason this can't happen, but technically it makes sense. It would require coordination with Nvidia/AMD, but with Carmack's pull it wouldn't be too difficult.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Released, Reviewed
7. Re: Battlefield 4 Released, Reviewed Oct 29, 2013, 10:42 HoSpanky

The videos look neat, but yeah Whiskers, it doesn't seem like much different a game from bf3, which I've played all of maybe 5 hours of. Maybe I'm just super bored of Modern Military Shooters. Actually, I know I am. I'm as tired of them as WWII games.

A sequel to 2142 would be awesome. I recently got my disc copy converted to an Origin version just so I could throw away the disc/case, and they threw in the expansions free. This goes for every game they converted, btw. I'm not about to start buying games on Origin if they're on Steam, but converting a game was something EA didnt have to do, did, and then did better than neccessary.

News Comments > New WHQL GeForce Drivers
29. Re: New WHQL GeForce Drivers Oct 29, 2013, 09:07 HoSpanky

Hey, I thought shadowplay was destroying my framerate last night, then realized how loud my computer was getting. Checked the drivers, and while every other setting had carried over, SLI didn't. Computer ran quiet again, and Shadowplay doesn't cause any noticeable framerate issues, altho the resulting video doesn't run as smoothly. It's not AWFUL, but it certainly isn't the buttery smoothness that I was playing. Might be the codec, or WMP. Any suggestions?

Also thanks Eraser and Dmitri, GF's computer has bluescreened a few times just browsing the Internet. Gonna try the power management thing. Mine hasn't had that problem, and it's running a pair of 760s.

News Comments > New WHQL GeForce Drivers
21. Re: New WHQL GeForce Drivers Oct 28, 2013, 18:47 HoSpanky

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 28, 2013, 10:53:
The GTX 600 series has an h.264 encoder built into the GPU? WTF? Funny they mention that now, as x.264 encoding tools don't seem aware that my GPU apparently has a real-time h.264 encoder...

The hardware encoder shouldn't be THAT much of a surprise. It's how the Nvidia Shield streams games, and that requires a 600 series or better. Nice to see they're realizing it has other uses.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
13. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 27, 2013, 18:25 HoSpanky

What puts people off of Arkham Origins is that it feels...lazy. I've found two locations that I had to reload from checkpoint on, and there's a fast travel tower that bugs permanently (until it hopefully gets patched) if you solve it slightly differently than they expected you to. There's a combat maneuver that counters two enemy attacks at the same time, and while I see batman going through the motions, he always, ALWAYS fails to grab one of the goons and I get knocked out of my combo. The combat managed to get broken when all they did was copy Rocksteady's game.

But what bothers me the most is that they recycled Arkham City quite a bit. No, it's not the same map exactly, but like Crackdown and its sequel, it's too familiar. If it were polished to perfection, I could look past the recycling, but it's not.

It's not a terrible game. Really, I don't hate it. But it doesn't feel like a new game, where AC did, even tho it was "still Batman", and it's buggier than a NYC basement apartment.

News Comments > NVIDIA "R331 Game Ready" Driver
13. Re: NVIDIA Oct 21, 2013, 18:03 HoSpanky

Yeah I've been pretty lucky with the drivers actually behaving, haven't had issues with the recent releases. The only hardware that doesn't play nice is the f'n "killer nic" that came on my mobo. Replaced with a $13 tp-link and I've been running great ever since.

I actually expected issues, first time running SLI since my voodoo2s. Nvidia's SLI is amazingly easy to set up. Basically a checkbox.

News Comments > BioShock 2 Removes GFWL; Joins Steam
20. Re: BioShock 2 Removes GFWL; Joins Steam Oct 4, 2013, 09:01 HoSpanky

I only hope Red Faction Guerilla and Iron Brigade (both devs still in business!) get patched to Steam. Love them both, would hate to be kept from playing them due to being saddled with a dead DRM function.  

News Comments > Daikatana on Steam
41. Re: Daikatana on Steam Oct 3, 2013, 08:50 HoSpanky

I have an unopened copy of Daikatana, signed by Romero. Was thinking of seeing if it was worth anything to sell on ebay.  

News Comments > Terraria Patched
4. Re: Terraria Patched Oct 1, 2013, 10:03 HoSpanky

Yep, there goes a good 40-50 hours. According to Steam, I've already sunk 184 hours into it, more than any other game, aside from maybe WoW, back when I played it.

Just goes to show that a good game concept is more important than amazing graphics. That's not to say I won't be picking up The Division, because HOLY SHIT, but terraria's amateur-hour pixel art doesn't even begin to stop me from playing it.

News Comments > Steam Controller Announced
58. Re: Into the Black Sep 28, 2013, 09:13 HoSpanky

Jesus, Steam explicitly states that if none of this interests you, just use steam like you always have. They're expanding our options, and you're crying about it. Isn't pc gaming all about the choices you have available?

For some games, I don't think any of Valve's new offerings will make a difference for, like RTS titles. Others, like Grid 2...man, I love the idea of streaming that out to my living room to play on the big tv. I only have to keep one computer swimming in new parts, the occasional jaunt to the living room magically upgrades as my tower does. The only catch is making sure the Steambox I chose supports wireless Xbox 360/180 controllers. Hate the Xb180 all you want, but I'll likely be picking up one of the controllers to see if I like it better than the current one I use. The upside to the Steam controller is every Steambox will support it. Dunno if I like the button placement but that could change before release.

Several posters in here are flat out TERRIFIED that Valve is abandoning traditional pc gaming. They aren't. Calm down. Ignore all three announcements if you want. SteamOS is a big win for Linux gamers, as it justifies making versions of games that run on it. The Steambox is another OPTION, and a nice one for being able to play your games anywhere in the house without running extra wires or moving your tower around. The controller is currently the weakest of the 3, just because it doesn't seem like a big improvement. Hands-on may change opinions drastically, or cement them. I'm merely interested/curious right now.

So please stop crying. Valve may appear to be sneaking into Console territory, but it's more of a way to bridge the gap from console to pc. That gap is frightening to a lot of people. Make it easy, and we get more pc gamers, which, as has been pointed out, is only a good thing for us.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Sep 27, 2013, 21:37 HoSpanky

Sine Mora and Skydrift are pretty decent games...Sine Mora is absolutely gorgeous, so rare when most side scrolling shmups are either "retro" or arena-based. Lots and LOTS of not-so-mini bosses and end bosses, some of which are the entire level. Every once in a while its hard to tell what you'll actually collide with, but thats only in a couple cramped-quarters sections. Worth getting the bundle for alone.  

News Comments > More on Steam Living Room Plans Next Week
17. Re: More on Steam Living Room Plans Next Week Sep 20, 2013, 18:14 HoSpanky

Let me stream games from my overpowered computer to a wee box connected to my tv, and I'd buy that in a heartbeat. Nvidia's Shield does it but only on that stupid handheld, I want to run it over cat5, so I'm not locked at 30fps like the shield. Or has someone hacked the software and gotten it running on the ouya (which can "see" 360 controllers)? Cuz that would get me to buy an ouya. Nvidia, SELL me that software for it!  

News Comments > 25 More Steam Greenlights
13. Re: 25 More Steam Greenlights Sep 19, 2013, 20:59 HoSpanky

Just took a look at Superhot, I'm...dunno. it's certainly got a neat look to it but if it literally has one weapon, I'm thinking this had better be $5.  

News Comments > SOE: Twitter Abusers Can Be Banned from Games
46. Re: SOE: Twitter Abusers Can Be Banned from Games Sep 19, 2013, 20:56 HoSpanky

I see several people saying it's absurd that they ban you for something you're doing "on an unrelated system (twitter)". Considering they'll have a facebook/twitter posting ability built into the game system, it's not "unrelated". Still a bit of a stretch, but if people post videos of them being racist assholes in a game on Twitter....then I can see why SOE may ban them.  

News Comments > 25 More Steam Greenlights
11. Re: 25 More Steam Greenlights Sep 19, 2013, 17:18 HoSpanky

The instant it's available to pre-order directly on Steam, I'm buying NextCarGame. Hope they have the pre-order price available for a little bit at that point.

Bugbear games have already been on Steam, why did they have to get this one greenlit? Is it because they don't have a publisher?

News Comments > Day One - Garry's Incident Preorders
6. Re: Day One - Garry's Incident Preorders Sep 19, 2013, 08:39 HoSpanky

Since this is such an odd way to spell "Gary", I thought it was something related to Garry's Mod.

It could be neat. Not gonna knock someone for NOT making another CoD or zombie game. Soooo fucking tired of zombies, they're the lazy developer's go-to monster. Show me something I haven't seen in 100 other games.

739 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo