Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 600 (Apprentice)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Origins Ditches Discs
41. Re: Origins Ditches Discs Mar 31, 2014, 23:36 HoSpanky

Please read the entire post, as it does actually have a possible answer, albeit not one that would happen quickly. The "you're fucked" bit is dependent on whether or not the rest of the town you live in (if you live in one, and not way out where you can't even see your neighbor's house) is ALSO interested in decent high speed Internet/tv.

Also, if your house is half a mile from your neighbor, that pretty much makes you impossible to get good service to with current tech. Everyone wants super high speed Internet, but only where it's monetarily feasable will they do it. Getting fiber 5 miles down a road for one person would cost more than they'd ever make in that customer's entire lifetime of paying for the service.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Origins Ditches Discs Mar 31, 2014, 17:30 HoSpanky

Simon Says wrote on Mar 31, 2014, 15:56:

Let me set you straight, no wifi hotspots in my area. I'd rather go to a friend a of mine with a UBS key and download off piratebay once and never have to be bothered again with disguised DRM.

I have loads of legit games here I bought in dvd/cd format back when all was needed was a CD/DVD/Serial/phone home once check. Back then the protections were circumvented, but they werent a pain in the ass, but I wouldn't bother with cracked software because it wasn't a pain in the ass. So I actually bought games.

Right now its: Buy DVD, oh, no data on the DVD, or data, but still 2 gigs of crap to download as a useless day-1 DRM measure ( which gets circumvented on day 1 anyway ). And you can't download patches, or these day 1 downloads on usb keys, you actually need your computer, yeah I'm going to haul my desktop around to a Wifi hotspot, ofc.

Well, when they began doing this, I got fedup with the crap of hauling my computer case around. I stopped buying and started cracking and loading to a USB key, fuck you, won't jump into 36 loops in the right order with my head upside down and pay for your ( useless, since they get cracked day 1 anyway ) paranoia. Bbye.

Ok you DO realize your situation is a minority case, right? I think data caps are horseshit, altho the 250gb caps that Comcast and AT&T have aren't absurd...it's pretty hard to hit that cap, even during a Steam sale.
So I'm guessing you live in a rural area, and have a small ISP that's raking you over the coals. That sucks, but you won't get a larger company to wire up your town (or god forbid you live way outside of a town). The cost will never, ever be recouped. And since everyone was too busy watching football or the Kardashians to bother complaining about deregulation, they aren't even required to PRETEND they care anymore.
If you do live in a small town, and you're IN TOWN, see about getting your representatives to pester Metronet. If there's enough interest in your town, you may be able to get them to wire up fiber to everyone's house. If your town is packed with old folks or hillbillies that don't care about that there inernet, you're fucked.

33. Re: Origins Ditches Discs Mar 31, 2014, 15:35 HoSpanky

DangerDog wrote on Mar 31, 2014, 14:47:
Cynyc wrote on Mar 31, 2014, 12:00:
2 words: DATA CAPS!!!

Some folks have crappy isps and 1 game will wipe out their monthly allowance. With extra data being btwn 9 and 15 usd per GB, who wants to pay 400 dollars to download NFS?

Steam and the many publishers that use it don't give a shit about your data caps, why should EA?

You need to raise your pitchforks up to these greedy ISP's that want you to pay not only for a service they're not providing but to pay for the infrastructure upgrades that tax dollars should have already paved the way for fiber internet to everyone, at least in the U.S. anyway.

Oh man, you must think fiber is cheap or something.
The cost to wire up a 2-stoplight town with fiber was 44 million dollars. I worked for a company that does just that - brings fiber to the home, but not in major cities, due to the cost of bringing it in.
Fiber is about a dollar a foot, and that doesn't include the labor, which is quite a bit more. New neighborhoods that offer fiber to the home have $1500 added to the cost of the house, to HELP subsidize the cost of building out a fiber network.

And if you think the wiring is expensive, you should see the cost of the equipment it takes to RUN that.

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: Op Ed Mar 31, 2014, 12:37 HoSpanky

I have a wiiU, was kind of free using a points reward system we have at work. There just aren't enough games for it, and Mario isn't the instant-sales name it used to be. Both of the Mario games for the wiiU are great, even if one of them is just a prettier version of its predecessor. I wouldn't suggest getting a wiiU unless you realize it's a Mario machine, and that's pretty much IT, and that's still worth it to you.
EA and Activision abandoning it is basically the end. Nintendo's hardware is behind the times again, and scaling down a multi platform game isn't worth it for the small number of sales they'd get. I agree that they SHOULD call it a wipe and put out a machine at least on par with ps4/Xbone NOW, but it's not a short process. It takes years. MS and Sony are already starting to look into their next machines, no doubt.

15. Re: Origins Ditches Discs Mar 31, 2014, 11:03 HoSpanky

If you have older games on disc that are available to purchase on Origin, call their tech support. I got bf2, bf2192 or whatever number it is, and C&C3 converted, and each one came with all dlc, despite me not having it in the first place.
I'm not a fan of having more than one distribution platform, but EA converting my games with little hassle was nice. I realize it's to entice me into using their platform more, which it doesn't.

Anyway, on-subject: the lack of discs is ONLY an issue if EA uses it as a way to keep prices high. No retailers trying to dump excess stock means no pricing competition when they have the ONLY place to get their games. Despite their poor track record, they occasionally do have a good game here and there still. If they continue their sales as they've been doing, I don't see the disc-less EA as a bad thing.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 18, 2014, 12:35 HoSpanky

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 18, 2014, 12:20:
Bone and VR? You can't handle it done right. You can't handle 1080P on a flat screen.

True, I don't see this working out very well. But they have to at least put it out there, because if the pc has VR and consoles don't, MS and Sony would lose licensing money to people jumping ship.

I see it as a ruse. Make a VR headset, even if its terrible. People will hear "VR is bad", and will believe the pc version is the same. Few people would research further than that, keeping most of their audience buying console games and thinking VR is failed tech.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
18. Re: Sunday Consolidation Mar 17, 2014, 09:10 HoSpanky

There's a difference between saying "media taken from pc version", and just not telling anyone. You can SAY its their own fault, but it's not. If you are TOLD you are getting a car, and they show you pictures of a Porsche, over and over, you assume you're buying a Porsche, not a Toyota corolla.

And saying people should know what their gaming system can do...also bullshit. Everyone thought they'd seen the best their ps3 could offer, and then Uncharted 2 came out. Everyone played Gears of War 2, which Epic said strained the system...but then here comes GoW3, which is fucking amazing looking, and doesn't even look like the same console generation as 2.

Now, people expecting Titanfall to run/look the same on the 360 as it does on the Xbone or pc? Yeah, that's stupid, as the Xbone is a more powerful machine. I don't expect people to know hardware specs. A lot of people are terrified of pcs, to the point that they panic if they hit the wrong button, I see it almost every day at work. I don't blame them for being scared of gaming on a computer, it seems so complicated, where consoles are plug and play (and wait for day1 patches). Consoles are heading toward being as complex as a pc, but the controller makes it look simpler. People still find pc keyboards intimidating.

Hoping those people take a look at a Steambox.

News Comments > NVIDIA Ending Support for DX10-Generation Cards in 2016
22. Re: NVIDIA Ending Support for DX10-Generation Cards in 2016 Mar 15, 2014, 12:08 HoSpanky

Shineyguy wrote on Mar 14, 2014, 21:39:
HoSpanky wrote on Mar 14, 2014, 13:24:
Fair enough, they're cutting support for cards designed for the OS that Microsoft is ceasing support for.

They're cutting support for Windows XP, not Windows Vista (which, BTW is where DX10 was originated from).

Ack, I feel stupid now. I keep forgetting vista happened, except when I have to deal with a customer whose Winvista refuses to connect to a wireless router. And somehow they believe it's our fault, even tho every other device they own works fine with it.

News Comments > NVIDIA Ending Support for DX10-Generation Cards in 2016
11. Re: NVIDIA Ending Support for DX10-Generation Cards in 2016 Mar 14, 2014, 13:24 HoSpanky

Fair enough, they're cutting support for cards designed for the OS that Microsoft is ceasing support for.

As for crashing while on the desktop, Creston's right, check the power feature, nvidia drivers tend to go back to defaults (SLI is never enabled, Shadowplay changes back to default). If you still get errors, make sure your computer is electronically isolated. Most BBUs do this for you, or at least do enough. My gf's machine used to crash all the time, the. We noticed it did it exactly when the minifridge kicked on. Would also cause a noise thru her speakers. Put her system on a BBU, fixed.

Also, I had a SSD that was causing me to bluescreen quite often, didnt start when I installed the drive. If you read yesterday's OOTB, that's one of the two SSDs that failed on me, and why I wanted to set up a cache for games instead of installing directly to the SSD.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
25. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2014, 15:50 HoSpanky

Yes, seems silly at first, and if I only had a few games to install, installing directly to the drive would be the better plan.

Now, assume you have 800gb of games that are played at LANs once a month. Only a few each time are played, and they're picked ahead of time. Also, there are other games that I play in between LANs. More than what will fit on an SSD that I am willing to buy. A terabyte SSD is still $600 or more, and I've had two SSDs die on me already. I'm not investing that kind of money in that flaky of hardware.

Instead of reinstalling games over and over, it'd simply be faster to have a program that lets me cache folders to the SSD. This way I can switch games out, without losing save files or having to figure out where each game hides its save files. And should I have a third SSD fail on me...I lose nothing, the base files are still on the HDD. This solution gives me the speed of the SSD and the reliability/space of the HDD.

Does it still sound silly?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2014, 14:03 HoSpanky

Completely off subject, but I'm either an idiot, or just using the wrong words in google to find this...I'm trying to use an SSD for game caching, but not where software determines what to copy to the drive. I want to be able to select entire folders, and have those be cached, so I can put an entire open-world game on the drive, or any game that tends to stream its level data. Normal caching routines would take a LOT of playtime to get all of a game like that cached.
Really, it should be pretty simple. Data being READ would come off the SSD, anything being written goes to the HDD and then copied by the software back to the SSD for later reading. Does this software exist?

News Comments > Respawn Chasing Titanfall Cheaters
13. Re: Respawn Chasing Titanfall Cheaters Mar 13, 2014, 10:53 HoSpanky

JayDeath wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 10:11:
This is the number one reason why I'm kinda done with the multiplayer FPS genre. It seems none of these companies can get a handle on the hacking. I'm sick of it.

This. My friends ask why have I gone back to WoW...because it isn't an environment that encourages cheating. Goldfarmers, and scammers, yeah. But those are easy to ignore and don't ruin MY fun. Paying $60 for a new game and finding it packed with screaming kiddies and cheaters isn't my idea of fun. Since the games get more complex year to year, they're harder to secure against cheats. I realize it's a difficult thing to get locked down, and since you can pay to get cheat software, people making cheats are getting even trickier.

Honestly, I don't know why companies like ea and Activision aren't hunting down the companies ...and specifically the PEOPLE being paid to provide hacks. They should have legal grounds to do so, as it subverts the original design of their software. Maybe that's where it'll eventually end up, but for now, banning the cheaters solves nothing. It's like scolding a drug addict and believing that'll stop the illegal drug trade.

News Comments > Titanfall 48GB Install is 35GB of Audio
68. Re: Titanfall 48GB Install is 35GB of Audio Mar 12, 2014, 12:55 HoSpanky

I've been using onboard audio this time around, half because I can't tell the difference between it and the discrete card that has moved to my gf's machine, and half because my new machine is out of room.
I opted for SLI, in a midtower case. The slot I'd planned for a sound card got taken up by a cheap NIC, as the onboard one had weird issues (one of those Killer NICs, didnt want it but I liked the rest of the board).
Compressed audio is no issue for the onboard. The entire "problem" they're solving here is for a very small audience of people who should have upgraded years ago.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 22, 2014, 13:07 HoSpanky

Consoles are about easy accessibility. The moment you put ANY tweaks in, especially for multiplayer, the world will explode from people being angry because someone had their resolution higher and spotted the other from far away, or some other complaint about a perceived (or real) advantage.

Console games done RIGHT wouldn't need anything like that. Forza Horizon is THE standard for how console games should work. It never, ever, drops or jumps above 30fps. Racing games at 30fps usually feel unresponsive or choppy, but Forza uses some well-done post processing that somehow makes it feel liquidy smooth. Spare cycles are used to do some incredible AA work. Park your car, and watch the background. It will rapidly start smoothing out sharp edges, and add depth to smoke. While driving, the AA will focus on "obvious" jaggies, like power lines, but ignores shadows on pavement. It's seriously a brilliant way to make a game, and it pulls it off in an open world with ridiculous draw distance. Probably the best leveraging of a system's strengths to hide its weakness.

The downside to something like that is it isn't readily portable. In Forza's case, no problem, it's a forever-exclusive. But any cross-platform game would require months and months of planning and tweaking to accomplish this, and most publishers won't allow for that amount of time.

Tl;dr: tweaks on consoles bad, buy Forza Horizon, it is motherfucking awesome.

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Feb 19, 2014, 21:04 HoSpanky

I'm sad that this got posted on here. it's funny for a few seconds but there's no payoff at the end. what you see at the start is what you get for 2.5 minutes.  

News Comments > Hawken Relaunching on Steam
21. Re: Hawken Relaunching on Steam Feb 6, 2014, 10:11 HoSpanky

Mad Max RW wrote on Feb 6, 2014, 08:06:
HoSpanky wrote on Feb 6, 2014, 07:27:
Really enjoyed the "it's pay to win, nyaaaa" comments from those who need even played it.

Are you new here?

Yeah I...I'm not sure WHY I assumed we'd have people here that actually did a tiny bit of research before making wide assumptions. Been on this board since it was all about Quake, as a lot of people on here...kinda thought they knew better. Because we all know that making an assumption makes an ass out of you, and Umption.

This is also a game that I'm looking forward to playing on the oculus. Is support for it built in now? Last I'd heard, it was in a separate build that didn't play with anyone using a "normal" client.

Also, while the mechs ARE fast, they don't turn on a dime like "normal" fps games. There IS momentum, and acceleration, but it certainly isn't the slow plodding Mechwarrior style of mechs. That always annoyed me anyway, as it was never about outmaneuvering, just trading shots until one mech fails. I DID like the ability to cripple mechs tho, which Hawken simply doesn't have time for.

News Comments > Hawken Relaunching on Steam
18. Re: Hawken Relaunching on Steam Feb 6, 2014, 07:27 HoSpanky

Any of the consumables that actually give you an advantage can be purchased with the currency you earn in-game as well as the premium stuff.

The only things you can't buy with the in-game currency are skins for your mech. If those pink hearts give you an unfair advantage, then ok it's pay to win.

Really enjoyed the "it's pay to win, nyaaaa" comments from those who didn't even played it. The starter mech IS surprisingly effective, and other mechs aren't terribly grindy to earn. They have a rotation of mechs you can take for a trial spin and see if you like, and any progression gained on those is kept if you ever decide to buy it (again, with in-game OR premium).

This comment was edited on Feb 6, 2014, 10:00.

News Comments > Stick of Truth Sticks it to Uplay; Preorders Underway
6. Re: Stick of Truth Sticks it to Uplay; Preorders Underway Feb 5, 2014, 10:22 HoSpanky

Not a fan of uplay either. I downloaded the Rayman Legends demo, and I cannot get it to go away. Uninstalling it leaves it on my games list, no way to de-list. So now I won't ever download another demo thru them for fear of cluttering up my Far Cry 3/asscreed3 icons with a bunch of demos I can't get rid of.

Uninstalling uplay didnt help. When I try to uninstall the demo it opens the add/remove programs part of windows, and Rayman legends isn't listed anywhere.

So tired of all of these digital stores. No one wants 20 different "stores" to deal with, and having to remember which one has the game you want to play...it's stupid.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
2. Re: Sunday Consolidation Feb 2, 2014, 12:37 HoSpanky

Yay, MK8! Probably one of the last (and my 5th) games I'm getting for the wiiU. Not gonna defend it, it's on a downward spiral. But I'll still have Mario Kart in HD.

Altho one could successfully argue that the recent Sonic racing game already IS MKHD. It's surprisingly great. Played it during a free weekend/$5 steam sale, picked it up after a couple hours of it. Aside from weirdly not seeing my gamepad until I've pressed Enter (reverse porting issue!), it runs flawlessly, no crashing or noticeable bugs.

Still, MK8 will be free, in my case. Hard to argue there.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
1. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Feb 1, 2014, 15:42 HoSpanky

I'd like to see if Skinny Puppy gets paid. If not, then the government obviously thinks that per-play performances are NOT required to be paid for, and the music industry isn't going to stand for that.  

600 Comments. 30 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo