Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 720 (Apprentice)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > The Crew Reviews Delay
24. Re: The Crew Reviews Delay Nov 25, 2014, 17:54 HoSpanky

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Nov 25, 2014, 16:09:
nin wrote on Nov 25, 2014, 13:59:
Agent.X7 wrote on Nov 25, 2014, 13:56:
I've been waiting on a decent racing game for next gen, but nobody seems able to deliver. Too much emphasis on letting the game post to Facebook for you, not enough on racing and cars.

Totally agree. Looked at NFS last fall, but it seemed more focused on online. Driveclub also looked pretty focused on online, and they still can't get the servers working, apparently. And now this...

Maybe Project Cars? It looks so good it's almost too good to be true...

I've been enjoying the Hell out of Forza Horizon 2, if you have an Xbox One of course. It has some social hooks but they're all easily ignored and the single player open-world racing stuff is fantastic fun.

I second this, Forza Horizon 2 is pretty much the best racing game I've played since...well, since FH1. It heavily factored into my purchase of an Xbone, and it did not disappoint. The multiplayer is optional, although it will populate your game world with AI named after friends/random people even if you play offline. The progression isn't as pronounced as FH1, but it does encourage you to try different types of vehicles more than FH1.
And if you haven't played either, both have demos available, so you can decide if the driving model is to your taste.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. samsung/Nvidia Nov 24, 2014, 10:51 HoSpanky

Thanks, worthless article. No explanation or link to an explanation as to what Samsung is so worked up over. Gotta waste 3 seconds on Google now....

Ah. Nvidia started the whole thing, acting like they invented the GPU (altho they do hold patents on a ton of features). Samsung is firing back, although I can't find what, SPECIFICALLY, they're claiming Nvidia is infringing on.

News Comments > WoW 10th Anniversary Celebrations
27. Re: WoW 10th Anniversary Celebrations Nov 22, 2014, 12:41 HoSpanky

So, I was on the fence about going back to WoW. Then the girlfriend saw the Molten Corgi and decided it was enough reason to go back.

Here's what's new:
You finally get promoted, and you have an instanced garrison. It contains land plots to place buildings, but only a small number. Every non-profession building offers a pretty awesome bonus, but you can't even have half of them. There's no flying in the new landmass, even after hitting level 100, but gathering professions don't matter as much now. The garrison has a mine and herb garden that you can collect from, even without those professions. There's a limited amount they produce, but it still killed the market for materials.

Annoying state like Hit are gone, replaced with ones you actually will want to fiddle around with. You can no longer change secondary stats on armor, it's back to researching what armor you actually want to get.

The entire economy seems to have taken a massive kick to the junk, likely designed to keep people from making absurd income on the auction house. Will see how that shakes out over time.

You not only get the garrison, but you get followers (mostly through questing) that can be sent on missions. Success gets you xp for that follower, plus either bonus XP or upgrades for them, money/gear for you, or resources for the garrison. Resources are the currency you use to upgrade the garrison OR spend to send followers on missions. They show up all over the place, and there's also a building you can make to gain resources from cutting down trees.

The garrison changes the game significantly, if you can't already tell. The facebooky Follower minigame is oddly satisfying, and benefits you in various ways.

Actual combat is largely the same, with better attack telegraphs from large enemies, with far more punishment for ignoring them.

Visually, the game looks pretty fantastic, most of the time. The vastly upgraded character models are sadly almost always covered with armor. You'll notice them on the login screen but after that they're almost completely forgotten. They're used for in-engine (but video) cutscenes, and they look pretty good there, especially the lip-synch. They aren't remotely up to the detail level of starcraft 2's in-engine scenes, but they're still drastically better.

Time will tell if it holds our attention more than a couple months, but for now it's fun enough.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
7. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 22, 2014, 12:04 HoSpanky

Flo wrote on Nov 22, 2014, 09:47:
Redmask wrote on Nov 21, 2014, 20:00:
It's doing very poorly in sales, they're trying to flog some life into it.
I'm really not into "fun" games and the art style didn't turn me on but, hell, this game is fun. Never thought I'd get so addicted to it.
Sad to see it's not doing great sales-wise but there are way too many big releases around at the moment.

Err...if you don't play games for fun, what DO you play them for?

News Comments > Forza Horizon 2 Listed for PC?
19. Re: Forza Horizon 2 Listed for PC? Nov 18, 2014, 19:39 HoSpanky

It'd be a pretty amazing thing to get on pc, but I'm betting MS would rather use it as Exclusive leverage to sell Xbones. The more exclusives they have, the more people look into picking one up.

And FH2 is incredible. Bought it day one and have enjoyed the hell out of it.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 17, 2014, 15:01 HoSpanky

Hey Blue, every time I open a page today on Blue's, be it the main page or a comments section, my iPhone boots me to the App Store for something called Open Table. Super crazy annoying, as it comes up before the content of the page finishes loading, so I have to reload the page when I get back to Safari.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 14, 2014, 15:54 HoSpanky

jimnms wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 14:44:
I have an idea, don't cap the frame rate at all. I can tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps. I may not be able to tell the difference between 50fps and 60fps or 60fps and 100fps, but if my machine can push it that far, let me. I don't keep a frame rate counter on my screen and obsess over it either.

While this SEEMS like a good idea, it's not. It'd feel worse than a consistent 30fps. Screens refresh at a constant rate, and keeping the frames coming out at a constant rate feels smoother than if it speeds up in low complexity scenes and then drops heavily in the bigger setpieces.

With v-sync on, which it absolutely IS in most games now, dropping from 60 AT ALL, even to "59" means dropping to 40 or 30, depending on the monitor's refresh rate. Many games' physics engines are tied to the refresh rate, meaning the game won't drop frames, it'll actually slow down if it loses frames.

Nvidia and AMD are working to fix this on the pc, with g-sync and whatever AMD's version is, but it won't help consoles, which is mostly where this argument is being held. It requires a monitor capable of adaptive refresh rates, which requires the monitor to actively "talk" to the video card. Tv manufacturers couldn't agree on a Cable Card standard, they're not going to be able to agree on an adaptive sync tech either.

If a game can't hold steady at 60fps, I'd much rather have a rock-solid 30 than a game that lurches between 40 and 60.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 14, 2014, 14:24 HoSpanky

I'm not going to pretend 30fps doesn't feel different from 60, because that's a blatant lie. I have an Xbone, and halo:MCC runs at 60fps, even in splitscreen.

It doesn't feel right. Oh, mechanically it's great, but it doesn't feel like Halo, despite obviously being Halo. It's weird. I don't dislike it, but it'll take time to get used to.

Meanwhile, Forza Horizon 2 runs at 30fps, while Forza 5 is 60. If I'm looking at textures, not the tiny gap I'm trying to squeeze my car into at 190mph, I CAN see a difference. But oddly, it doesn't feel different. I don't know why. FH2 uses some voodoo magic to make it feel buttery smooth and almost indistinguishable from f5's 60fps, while Halo's framerate change is so drastic that it feels weird..MONTHS after I'd played it at 30.

I honestly think it's subjective to the game type, and the quality of motion blur. Sunset Overdrive runs at 30fps, and doesn't feel like it's suffering because of it. Meanwhile AC4, while gorgeous and super fun, is obviously 30fps, maybe sometimes less, and feels...choppy. It has some motion blur effects as well, but they don't fool my eyes like SO and FH2 do.

Bottom line: some games will be just fine at 30 fps. Yes it's being done, most of the time, because of system limitations. But it CAN be done in a way that doesn't hurt the experience.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
4. remote car shutdown Nov 9, 2014, 09:37 HoSpanky

i don't understand the problem with these devices. About half the time, I work in a very low-income part of the city, where the targets of these devices live. I'm inside their houses quite often, let me explain what I see in at least 90% of them:

1: everyone has a smartphone. I don't know what every model/year looks like, but I've already seen several iphone6's.
2: lots of tvs. LOTS. More than the average mid-range income household.
3: a PS4.

Each one of those devices is worth one to three car payments, and you can't tell me a 70 inch flatscreen is a necessity. Only the smartphone, which can replace a desktop/laptop for almost all daily functions, isn't a complete joke. Still, the cost of that phone and the monthly service for it aren't negligible.

The problem isn't JUST low income, it's the mentality of "I have some money RIGHT NOW, it's enough to buy a toy for me" with no regard for a single day past that. My girlfriend's mother works with schools to try to fix this issue but that can't stop the constant reinforcement of the right-now mentality at home. It's about people never growing up past being 7 years old.

So obviously a device that constantly pesters them to pay their bill is necessary.

3. Car Wash Nov 8, 2014, 16:20 HoSpanky

I'd say it's quite efficient, as you only have to do it once and you'll never have to wash that car again!  

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
4. Re: Sunday Mobilization Nov 2, 2014, 20:16 HoSpanky

I saw this and thought it was a lame Rock Band ripoff, years late to the party, for Kinect or someshit.  

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
6. Re: Saturday Consolidation Nov 1, 2014, 20:33 HoSpanky

Ehh, to be honest, I've enjoyed my Xbone so far. All the power in the world doesn't help PS4's catalog of ONE exclusive game. Yeah, Sunset Overdrive and Forza Horizon 2 run at 30 fps, but at least in FH2's case, you wouldn't know if you weren't told. It moves like butter, and it doesn't disable the kinect to grab that extra 10% or whatever. Sunset Overdrive has a lot more fast-turning action, but the framerate doesn't detract from the game. I'd rather be at rock-solid 30 fps than struggling to hit 60, and BOTH consoles have a hard time with 1080p/60.

I'm sure that I'll have a PS4 by this time next year, when they finally roll out some worthwhile games. Anything cross-platform is likely hitting PC as well, where I'll pick those up anyway, so it's just a matter of exclusives. Sony still needs 3 or 4 more before I'll start seriously looking into their system.

The Kinect is a waste. The only things I use it for could be replaced by a microphone, built right into the console. "Xbox Pause", and all commands in Forza Horizon 2 are just voice. Those are nice, if unnecessary, but also have no reason to require a $100 device. I'm glad developers can disable it to use the processor core tied to it, that'll help it catch up a little to the PS4 in raw power.

Just don't understand all the incredible revulsion people have for the Xbone.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 31, 2014, 20:02 HoSpanky

Comcast exec: "What's something easy that we can do that another company like us already does?"
(Looks at AT&T)
"Welp, I've earned my 200 million. Next year I'll make sure our CSRs get an extra 2 hours of training, and earn my pay for the year again."

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
14. Destiny complaints Oct 29, 2014, 17:05 HoSpanky

I just traded in Destiny, as the game was designed to NOT let you do the story missions with random players, the story was destroyed and what was left of it was presented terribly. Yes, the shooting is competent but the game itself is incredibly weak. I'm not about to pay them MORE money just to see them bother to put a story in.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2014, 13:20 HoSpanky

Glad a driver wipe-n-reinstall solved it. Haven't had any major issues with Nvidia's drivers for quite a while, which I'm surprised about. SLI is, by its nature, going to be more problematic than single card, and yet...no problems. Except when streaming some games, where the cards seem confused on which one's frame should be displayed first. It's impossible to play, and sickening to look at for long. Haven't tested it since the drivers a week or so back that said they helped streaming with sli.

Hey Blue, I dunno what it'd take, but this is one of only two sites I visit daily that doesn't have a personalized icon on my iPhone's "frequently visited" list. It's certainly not neccessary, but it'd be nice. Oddly, the other site without an icon is Penny Arcade, which is pretty nuts considering their budget.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
3. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Oct 24, 2014, 13:00 HoSpanky

Heh, influenced by Sleep No More. That was the weirdest "play" I've ever been to, and yet, when we head back to New York this Spring, we're gonna go again. It's almost indescribably weird, and I'm not going to pretend I understood it. But it's definitely a must-do activity if you're in the city.  

News Comments > Five Nights at Freddy's 2 Announced
3. Re: Five Nights at Freddy's 2 Announced Oct 23, 2014, 12:10 HoSpanky

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 23, 2014, 11:58:
Wonder why this would need a greenlight campaign, I thought the first was considered a wild success. Also worth noting, it is stuff like this that makes Indy cool. Totally fresh idea, the first I'm speaking of.

A digital version of red light/green light is a fresh idea?

News Comments > Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Recommended Specs
3. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Recommended Specs Oct 23, 2014, 10:59 HoSpanky

Huh. Might actually pick this one up. Gonna wait a few weeks, as there are other games higher on my want list, and seeing how cheaty or not the game becomes will determine if I'm gonna play. I've mostly stepped away from competitive multiplayer because there's always someone out to ruin everyone else's good time, it seems.  

News Comments > The Evil Within > 30 FPS "Not Supported"
35. Re: The Evil Within > 30 FPS Oct 9, 2014, 12:48 HoSpanky

Prez wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 12:38:
...Reviews tend to point out the crap ports, wait on them.

I was kind of with you until this last line. One of my biggest gripes with game reviews these days is that so many of them fail to mention porting problems. The better ones always do, but there are lots that don't.

Mmm, true, if the reviewer doesn't notice or care, and they're getting worse. But then again, I do remember there being a lot of bitching about NFS Rivals being locked at 30fps, and the absurdity that ensued when you unlocked it. That was right here on Blue's, and I'm assuming any other game with crippling issues will show up in the news here rather quickly. Now that the 30fps lock has been announced, someone will undoubtedly post a review concerning it.

Edited for cellphone autocorrecting weirdness.

News Comments > The Evil Within > 30 FPS "Not Supported"
32. Re: The Evil Within > 30 FPS Oct 9, 2014, 12:33 HoSpanky

"Designed properly" is the part you aren't paying attention to. If they build their motion blurring around it, and you bump up the framerate, it may look messed up.

And before you say "there wouldn't need to BE any blurring if it ran at 120fps!", it's possible that not getting a clear view of a creature is INTENTIONAL. Did you watch the hobbit at 48fps? Was godawful. The monsters looked better but the actors looked awful. Bigger *sometimes* isn't better. Locking the framerate so that the game looks "as intended", and making the ability to change that requiring minimal skills is fine. They don't want some moron setting the game to 60/120/144 and then putting up a review saying it looked awful.

Up close, I can absolutely tell the difference between 720 and 1080. At 10 feet away from a 46 inch screen? Probably not. Depending on what the content is, I'd bet you can't either, although you'll never admit to it.

Im not saying the lock to 30 isn't due to consoles. It very, very likely IS. But if the blurring they use for fast motion is done right, it won't matter, FH2 absolutely proves it. Oh, I'm sure you'd sit there and say "oh yeah it's 30fps", but that's only because you know it is. Uninformed? Nope. No fucking way. I played The Run at 30fps, it's unacceptable, thankfully the framerate CAN be unlocked in it. I thought FH2 would drive me nuts too, then I tried the demo and I'm telling you, it doesn't feel like 30fps.

Whether or not TEW does as good of a job is something else entirely. I'm betting it won't look very good, as most games are halfassed ports anymore. I'm also not stupid enough to pre-order a game, as if missing it for a day or two or a month is a big deal. Reviews tend to point out the crap ports, wait on them.

720 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo