Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 673 (Apprentice)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > GTA4 iCEnhancer Mod Author Taking a Break
4. Re: GTA4 iCEnhancer Mod Author Taking a Break Jul 28, 2014, 10:45 HoSpanky

Glad I looked here first. I was going to grab the mod because I thought it was a compilation mod that does a full overhaul, assembled out of several different ones.

Oh well. That's alright, I'll wait for gta5 at this point.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
30. Re: Op Ed Jul 24, 2014, 08:36 HoSpanky

It never once mentions "oh by the way, your pc does a LOT of things other than gaming, so the added cost is diffused there". Granted, most people don't start with a tower, they have a laptop or tablet, so they're basically screwed if it can't run the games they want. Building a pc the first time is daunting, and if you're doing it on the cheap, something WILL probably go wrong with it in the first 6 months ("my $15 1000 watt PSU stopped working!").
Console gaming is just plain more accessible. Was at a customer's house yesterday who was having a hell of a time setting up an Xbox 360. That woman wasn't ABOUT to consider building a gaming computer.

PC gaming looks better but is more difficult and costly, if you start from scratch.

It's a clickbait article, for sure. At least each "reason" wasn't on its own page.

Stupid Xbone. Was all set to ignore the new consoles, then Forza Horizon 2 gets announced. Also buying The Club on Xbone. I know it's coming to pc but every pc racing game I've bought is a ghost town a month after release.

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 10:14 HoSpanky

I absolutely believe women in the gaming industry get more abuse than men, with the exception of Phil Fish.

And I'm willing to bet the EXACT SAME people who toss these comments ALSO wonder why they can't find a girlfriend, or complain that their girlfriend won't play games with them.

If you don't think women get any more abuse than men, you're delusional. While people will say horrible shit during a gaming match, they don't go hunting those people down, sending them rape threats for months/years after. No one does that shit to males, or if they do, it's incredibly rare.

My girlfriend plays as male characters in MMOs to avoid the constant flow of "are you really a girl? OMG marry me I love MMOs and you're a girl that plays them!"...and then the stream of abuse that follows when she obviously turns down their completely sensible offer.

Seriously, shit like this actually makes me want the Internet to not allow anonymity. Which makes me feel like I'm going insane, but there it is.

News Comments > Hearthstone Maintenance Now; Naxxramas Launches Later
8. Re: Hearthstone Maintenance Now; Naxxramas Launches Later Jul 22, 2014, 15:00 HoSpanky

Uggh, only 3 fights in Naxx, but the first one is kicking my ass anyway. The cards he can summon are ridiculous, and are super low-cost so he piles up minions with all KINDS of detrimental effects within a few turns.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 22, 2014, 11:47 HoSpanky

Meh, I was expecting more than a sticker kit on those "customized" Xbones. Thought it was gonna be a showing of people's various personalized mods.  

News Comments > Terraria OS X and Linux Ports, Maybe
1. Re: Terraria OS X and Linux Ports, Maybe Jul 14, 2014, 19:21 HoSpanky

Oh god, not more reasons for me to play Terraria again?

I can't believe they aren't just working on a sequel. While it's literally the best $2.50 I've spent on a game, I'd rather have an all new game from them to explore than having to fire up yet another generated world just to see some new stuff here and there.

News Comments > Battleborn Impressions
2. Re: Battleborn Impressions Jul 12, 2014, 13:26 HoSpanky

Sounds like Super Monday Night Combat, which is a hoot but has fairly bland environments. It easily makes up for them with ridiculous commentators and very expressive characters. Wouldn't complain about another game in that style, and this looks to be it.  

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jul 10, 2014, 19:45 HoSpanky

while I think the potato salad thing was funny, and modest ($10 goal!), and the insanity of it currently sitting at $45k, I know that there will be THOUSANDS of copycats. "I want to make a bowl full of cereal" and "homemade soup!" will undoubtedly be all that you see on Kickstarter for the next couple months. There's no end to the number of people who would like the internet to pay for a year of their bills.  

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Jul 7, 2014, 22:35 HoSpanky

Right, so what's this then? A storefront that felt it was so goddamn indie that it didn't need to advertise its existence went under?

YOU DON'T SAY.

News Comments > Alien Isolation for Oculus Rift Only a Prototype
3. Re: Alien Isolation for Oculus Rift Only a Prototype Jul 7, 2014, 22:32 HoSpanky

Quite likely that, like Colonial Marines, SEGA is refusing to allow this game to look drastically better on one platform over another. For all we know, it's a mandate for making Alien franchise games from the rights holder.

Or an attempt to get some funding from Oculus, but that won't happen if the game comes out before the OR....which seems likely, since they sure as fuck have no intention of releasing it in our lifetimes. They keep hiring more people, and pushing the release time frame back further.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
1. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jul 6, 2014, 09:30 HoSpanky

So I need to start memorizing which sites are "optimized" to be unreadable on my phone. This Phoronix site is one of them. Two popover ads, one of which is removable, the other refuses to ever move.

Betanews doesn't do ads, but it puts an annoying pair of bars for site navigation over the top and bottom of the screen, giving me 3 lines of readable text at a time. I'd rather just not read the damn thing. Who sets these up and says "yeah, that's TOTALLY not a crazy annoying design that will drive readers away"? As soon as I see a link goes to betanews I just back out of it. Not worth reading.

Can't recall which site does it, but one of them pops up a "if you liked this, read these articles" thing when I get to the bottom of their site. That'd be all fine and dandy if it didn't cover the last 3-4 lines of text on the article I was finishing. Can't scroll back up and get rid of it, either. Apparently actually field-testing things is too much effort for these sites.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
3. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 5, 2014, 17:17 HoSpanky

I don't understand the separation on this, why is it legal to use the drones for fun stuff and illegal to do those SAME ACTIVITIES, just for a business?

Makes no sense, and it's likely because they're trying to find a way to make people get a license to do it. And it sure won't be free.

News Comments > Evolve Alpha Signups
6. Re: Evolve Alpha Signups Jul 4, 2014, 20:37 HoSpanky

Since all 4 hunters are drastically different, I wonder how the game plays once the monster takes one out. If it happens in the first couple minutes, will the hunter team simply quit?

I signed up anyway, as I hope it's like playing Citizen Kabuto multiplayer, without the game-breaking cheapness the Reapers gain midway.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Z
1. Re: Ships Ahoy - Z Jul 4, 2014, 10:26 HoSpanky

As much as I recall liking this game, I also recall it being multiplayer, and this "HD remaster" or whatever looks super weak. They appear to have altered it for widescreen, aaaand...that's it. Oh, and removed multiplayer.  

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Jun 27, 2014, 16:05 HoSpanky

Yes but the same idiots who wouldn't "GET" the name of Broforce are also the same dudebros who would buy it based on its name.

Also, my phone always has autocorrected the other game title to Bulletstork. That is all.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 26, 2014, 13:01 HoSpanky

That kleargear trial went...as expected. KG sent no representative, and I doubt anyone at the company ever responds again. They're long gone by now.

As for the best buy thing, I don't think it's a shady move, particularly, just a bit desperate. I doubt BB treats its retail employees any worse than any other retail chain. Retail is a shit job, and requires so little effort on the employee's part that they're easily replaceable.

I do wonder what cities people live in where jobs are hard to find. I can't drive a block without seeing a Now Hiring sign. Maybe it's just my part of the US isn't in as dire of circumstances, or maybe it's people who can't swallow their pride and get a less-desirable job than they wanted/had. I had a buddy who almost lost his house because he refused to get a job that wasn't IT management, because that's what he had done before. I offered to put in a good word for him where I work, but he didn't want it. Finally he ended up working in a call center, which pays WAY less than the job I could have helped him get. But call center hiring is fast, and he held off until the bitter end. It takes, on average, 3 months to get a job where I work, he had plenty of time when I offered.

Again, maybe it's different elsewhere, but HERE, when people say there aren't any jobs, they mean "there aren't any jobs in the niche field I want one in".

News Comments > Titanfall Patch Incoming
1. Re: Titanfall Patch Incoming Jun 26, 2014, 09:49 HoSpanky

Have they patched it so you can opt for compressed audio and have an 18gb install instead of 46gb? Not willing to give up a tenth of a 512gb SSD for one fucking game, especially when it's huge for bullshit reasons.  

News Comments > Hello Games "Would Like" to Bring No Man's Sky to PCs
39. Re: Hello Games Jun 25, 2014, 18:24 HoSpanky

Hello Games' first game was a ps3 exclusive, and it showed up on pc alongside its weirdly xbox360-exclusive sequel. Both games are largely the same, graphically, with AA and whatnot but no better textures. They're a small company. The Joe Danger games are pretty damn fun tho, mix of Mario and Excitebike.

Last year they were independent and planning for an initial release on pc, then their offices were flooded and their insurance didn't cover it. I have a feeling that's when Sony swooped in to save their asses, they went silent for a while.

Complaining that it WAS on pc first and now isn't... is your own fault. If you're so butthurt, why didn't YOU cover their financial problem? Because you don't have the money, or you didn't care THAT much. Without Sony stepping up, NMS would have died.

Controls-wise, I never expected the game to require a billion buttons. It doesn't appear to be an overly complex game. If you think a team of like 10 guys is going to build a game remotely as complex as a 47 million dollar behemoth, you're delusional. I was just disappointed that there's no direct multiplayer. You can see people's notes and discoveries but not other actual players. I had hoped for at least some co-op exploration...oh well.

News Comments > Phil Fish Baits YouTube; Becomes Twitter Quitter
30. Re: Phil Fish Baits YouTube; Becomes Twitter Quitter Jun 19, 2014, 12:02 HoSpanky

It's not so much that the developer isn't getting paid, it's that someone ELSE is, for the developer's work. If the income from those videos was split down the middle, there wouldn't be a discussion. As the article mentions, PewDiePie makes 4 million a year, playing other people's games. That's not insignificant.

Also, again, in single-player games that are interactive rollercoasters, posting a video showing the story beginning to end IS giving away the game. A cutscene-heavy game isn't remotely different during those cutscenes as when someone is playing it themselves. We aren't discussing whether or not a game like that is worth playing, that's irrelevant and subjective. It's whether an entire storyline should be posted online, with monetary benefit going SOLEY to the poster, none to the creators.

You watch LPs to decide if you want to play a game, that's fine. Do you watch the entire thing? See how it ends? See all the plot twists ahead of time, and STILL purchase the game? If you only watched, say, 20 minutes and decided the gameplay does or doesn't interest you, that's not an issue, nor is it what I'm saying here. Once you've seen a game all the way through, you've seen the funny lines, the amazing cutscenes and vistas, you know the story entirely. Do you watch entire story playthroughs and still buy the game?

If you say no, you wouldn't have bought it anyway, yet you watched someone else play the game, entirely, then you're lying. You wanted to play it and couldn't afford it? Fine, why does some youtuber get paid and not the creator? You didn't watch that YouTube guy the entire time, you watched someone else's creation.

Yes a lot of this is saying the same thing in a slightly different way, but you seem blind to what I'm saying here. It's not the experience they're worried about, it's seeing everything a game has to offer, for free, while some douche who created NOTHING is the one getting paid.

News Comments > Phil Fish Baits YouTube; Becomes Twitter Quitter
28. Re: Phil Fish Baits YouTube; Becomes Twitter Quitter Jun 19, 2014, 11:30 HoSpanky

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 10:37:
HoSpanky wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 09:34:
I dot think Phil is entirely wrong here. People aren't just posting small bits of the game, they do multi-hour "let's play!" videos that basically show you the entire game. I'd be pissed if someone was getting PAID to display the game I'd spent years of my life making, in it's entirety. Movie companies shut down full feeds of their movies, and rightfully so. Aside from not being the active player, what's the difference between watching someone play thru an entire game you didnt buy, and watching a pirated movie? You still see all the content, free. And someone ELSE gets PAID to do this. I'd be cranky as well.
You can say piracy is unstoppable, and you'd be right. But YouTube is a legitimate company that is allowing essentially pirated videos to make people money. A game reviewer video isn't a problem here, those guys don't show you every piece of a game's story/puzzles/art. Is Phil an overreacting douche? Oh yeah. Jesus he's a spaz.

But I don't think he's completely wrong.

Your argument went completely into insanity land when you equaled watching someone playing games to watching copies of movies...

Games are entertainment content that you buy to play. And a developer that thinks someone recording himself playing his game is piracy is a nutjob. Unless that game was made to be watched instead of played, in which case that thing shouldn't even be called a game to begin with.

Art, Sound and Music are all secondary. Games are defined by GAMEPLAY something you can record but never replicate by watching.

Heck, the experience of watching a let's play and playing a game is completely different.

So, then you agree that it'd be OK to post a video of someone reading an entire book aloud on YouTube, and tolerated by the author? Because by your logic, it's a different experience, despite containing all of the media involved in the product. So the author should be cool with it, right?
Games are an interactive medium, yes. Are you saying that all of the artwork, story and cutscenes should be free, and only if you want to actually have a controller in your hands should you pay for any of those? Do you think that someone who watches an entire play through of bioshock infinite would purchase the game afterwards? The creator gets NOTHING, while some asshat with a video capture device actually gets PAID, by a legitimate, massive company.
Videos of CoD rounds aren't the issue here. There's no story there, and shot-of-a-lifetime videos are likely pleasing to content creators; it makes people want to play the game. Watching an entire single player game played out isn't going to make someone buy the game. It gives them a way to experience the story without paying.

Now, if Phil is trying to say ANY video, even a small, short one, of the game is a problem, he's a moron. Those DO help sell games. Full-length videos of a single player story are as likely to sell copies as posting full length movies.

673 Comments. 34 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo