Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 752 (Graduate)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Valve's HTC Vive Free for Developers
23. Re: Valve's HTC Vive Free for Developers Mar 27, 2015, 15:17 HoSpanky

Whether VR goes mainstream or stays as a hobbyist item will depend entirely on compatability, interface, and ease of use.

First step to mass consumption is an OS that can use VR effectively. The "general public" still has to watch the keyboard to type, and if you can't see it, there will have to be a rock-solid alternative in the headset. And every headset needs to be able to use this interface. I think the first round of these headsets will WORK, but will be a pain to get going. Between user feedback and homebrew, the second and third versions will likely settle into something universally usable.

The success of VR headsets WILL bring a lot of money to desktop component makers, once there's a compelling enough use for it, people will build the monsters required to run that game/app. And laptops/phones don't have the muscle, unless the graphics take a large step backwards to accommodate.

Excited to actually get a commercial headset, and even more excited to see how people take advantage of the new hardware. I can't play Hawken forever.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 27, 2015, 11:20 HoSpanky

Hrm, that may be a mistake, Idonyo.
It's a nice way to get people who may not have been interested in FH due to thinking it's like the base Forza games. People turned off by overly technical games avoid the Horizon games, when they're likely EXACTLY the racing game they want.

Haven't had a chance to try it yet, I'm assuming the FEEL of the game is the same as Horizon, with a F&F character or two squeezed in. Also, apparently, helicopter chases.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Day One Patch & Other Details Revealed
71. Re: The Witcher 3 Day One Patch & Other Details Revealed Mar 22, 2015, 14:17 HoSpanky

One person believes that the game plays better on a gamepad and you morons lose your minds.

Mouse and keyboard offer better aiming, gamepads offer better movement. The ONLY way you can get both is with a separate device for your left hand, like the Logitech G13, which has a thumbstick JUST like console controllers.

I switch between a 360 controller and m/kb, depending on the game. I don't understand the instant hatred and dismissal of a game over the fact that it OFFERS the ability to use a controller. It certainly won't require it.

If you're that butthurt over a feature in a game due to your belief that what you like is superior, then you're no different than the Mac fanatics you make fun of. No different whatsoever. Realize that you're complaining that there's more than one way to make an imaginary character move around in a game that won't define or change your REAL life in any way whatsoever, and then go cry for how silly you've become.

News Comments > Reloaded Games Acquires Hawken
4. Re: Reloaded Games Acquires Hawken Mar 16, 2015, 12:50 HoSpanky

Hawken has native Oculus support. It's WAY faster than MWO, and less technical. It's not quite at deathmatch levels, as having friends to cover your retreat-n-repair is crucial. Still the mechs move FAST, even down to a dodge that can save you from taking a missile salvo in the face.

Graphically, it's gorgeous. Unlocking mechs isn't fast, but it's not horridly slow either, considering you have to level each one up to unlock slots for gear. By the time you level one partway, you can afford another.

The only thing you HAVE to spend money to get are cosmetic. That's the right way to do it but apparently people just aren't buying anything.

News Comments > Titanfall 2 Confirmed
3. Re: Titanfall 2 Confirmed Mar 12, 2015, 19:30 HoSpanky

I got my money's worth out of titanfall. I also only spent $5. But it's a fun enough game in short sessions.

They really need to bump it up visually. It'll really depend on if EA will let them focus on current-gen consoles ONLY. Last-gen ports are not only wasting resources, they convince consumers that their 9-year-old system can still hack it for new games and they will put off upgrading.

News Comments > Three Steam Free Weekends
1. Re: Three Steam Free Weekends Mar 12, 2015, 19:25 HoSpanky

If you don't have Guerilla, get it. Convince your friends to get it, or buy copies for them. Then hit each other with sledgehammers and chain-reaction stickymines. The single player game is open world craziness, and tons of fun. The story is weak, and clearly just there to give you some narrative for your massive demolition spree, but you won't mind.

Also, it was recently patched to behave properly with dx11, removed GFWL and uses Steamworks.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Rogue Launch Trailer
13. Re: Assassin's Creed Rogue Launch Trailer Mar 10, 2015, 10:01 HoSpanky

This is largely the second Black Flag game. They don't focus on the ship much in the trailer but from what I've read it's as prominent as the Jackdaw was in BF.

The video looks oddly way crappier than Black Flag does. I'm hoping its a recycled ad from the 360/PS3 and that it looks as slick as BF does. I haven't played Unity, partially because of the issues it has (had?), but mostly because there's no ship. Black flag has one of the weakest storylines in the series but good GOD the ship made the game.

Anyhow, I'm probably in at around the $15-$20 mark. Unity is $20 at Frys, and I still can't justify it. Far Cry 4 is also $20 there (in store only, they're leftover Samsung codes).

News Comments > Cross-Platform Super Dungeon Bros Announced
1. Re: Cross-Platform Super Dungeon Bros Announced Mar 5, 2015, 12:44 HoSpanky

But does this mean GFWL is coming back?  

News Comments > Op Ed
24. Re: Op Ed Feb 27, 2015, 12:30 HoSpanky

Her complaint about Destiny is absurd. They went out of their way to make the game as neutral as possible (to the point that it's lifeless and boring), and she bitches about a sitting animation that was likely put in so a bunch of people sitting didn't look exactly the same.

BUT, her point about more female characters in games isn't a bad one. My girlfriend ended up madly in love with Forza Horizon 2 (as any sensible human would), yet you're forced to use a single character model. There's no reason for it, as your character never talks, and is no more detailed than the other characters. Why can't we pick from a handful of the character models the game uses? She just wanted a female one. Your character stands next to his car at the end of each race for no reason (hilarious when in hurricane weather), why not let people have a LITTLE choice? The models are already right there.

Her complaint about catwoman is bullshit, does she not KNOW that the character has always BEEN heavily sexualized? Remove that from the game and EVERYONE but her would cry foul.

Any game with a character-based storyline can't be retooled for the option of a female character, just like Tomb Raider couldn't offer an option to play as a guy. I'm surprised she doesn't use the new Lara Croft as one of her positive characters. She starts off terrified and horrified at what she has to do to survive, and by the end is a wrecking ball, and spends NO time being flirty/sexy. She spends the game filthy, angry, and awesome.

Anyway, I agree with some of what she says, but she definitely goes gonzo-overboard on some of the things she expects. I forget who on here said she's more worried about her personal pity-party, but yeah...spot-on. She isn't completely wrong, but from the way she talks, she won't be happy until every game has a butch/overweight woman in every race possible, that everyone treats like a man.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
15. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 26, 2015, 11:52 HoSpanky

Holy crap, I'm going to be playing a Fast&Furious game. Never thought I'd say that, but if Playground Games is making it, I'm in. Especially since it's free. I'm betting they're hoping people like it, want more, and buy Forza Horizon 2, the best goddamn racing game available. If you have an Xbone, and like racing games AT ALL, pick it up. Do NOT buy it for the 360, it's developed by someone else and is apparently a terrible game that should never have been made.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 18, 2015, 21:41 HoSpanky

Because that'd mean GFWL. Don't wish that on WoT.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
52. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 12, 2015, 17:24 HoSpanky

Red wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 16:59:
In regard to some other comments suggesting that I or anyone doesn't understand how herd immunity plays a role in vaccination.. I get it. I've done my homework. But my conclusions are not the same in every case. Plus, I am probably personally biased towards a more primal version of evolution. The weakest in the herd are holding it back.

That's so awesome, Red. I really hope one of your children is one of the "weak ones" holding us "back" (from what?), and dies from a completely preventable disease. I expect you to shed no tears at her funeral, spitting on her grave and saying "she was WEAK" with a sneer.

Your reasons all boil down to: you are paranoid and selfish. Do you honestly believe Polio is only a memory because "the strong prevailed"? Do you think there's some big cover-up conspiracy where thousands upon thousands of vaccinated children are contracting something awful from the vaccination itself? Please post links to these things happening! Show us your "homework"!

News Comments > PC Assassin's Creed Rogue Next Month
16. Re: PC Assassin's Creed Rogue Next Month Feb 6, 2015, 09:26 HoSpanky

This will be a bargain bin purchase for me as well, I LOVED Black Flag's ship combat, it was definitely something different for the franchise. The tech behind it is pretty astounding, when there's no load time from being on foot to being in a ship, despite how much easier it would have been to code them as separate systems. I found BF's story to be super lame, but I've heard Rogue has one of the better storylines in any AC game...but that it feels like a TON of assets were copy-pasted from BF.

If you haven't played Black Flag, grab it when it's $10 or so. The ship combat is different and surprisingly FEELS like you're in giant ships. Every "large vehicle" game I've ever played felt more like you were on a normal-sized vehicle in a miniature world. This feels distinctly different.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 26, 2015, 12:34 HoSpanky

Rocket cars is visually fantastic, but the first time you skid a hair too close to the endge of the track, it'll spin your car and send you, often, straight into yet another obstacle.

The steering isn't intuitive, as you grab the back of the car and push it, so to turn left, you slide your finger to the right. It never feels natural, I've played for maybe an hour and in tense moments, I'll turn the completely wrong direction. And no, you can't switch it, aside from an even worse corner-tapping control scheme.

It's your usual FTP, with paywalls for doubling income and buying gems to buy cars.

But back to the visuals...it looks fanTASTIC. The art style looks like clay models drawn on with colored pencils, that's my best approximation. Very smooth animations, the cars lean and wobble wonderfully. Shame about the controls.

News Comments > Grow Home Next Month
8. Re: Grow Home Next Month Jan 23, 2015, 07:56 HoSpanky

It's quite likely that the dev team invested what little Ubi gave them into the plant growth/climbing mechanic. If it get decent reviews I'll probably pick it up. So tired of the news feed's constant "here's another zombie survival game" listings. I would much rather play this than shoot one more terribly animated zombie in the face.  

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
3. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 22, 2015, 20:27 HoSpanky

The price of the base CaH game is $25, and it's black and white. this *appears* to be using color cards. My girlfriend works VERY part time (conventions) for a small game maker, the cost to produce something when you DON'T own the facilities is shocking. Go to a board game convention, see games that cost $45-$50, and there's just a game board, a bunch of cards, and maybe some wooden markers, and you think "why is this so expensive?". It's expensive because the people who OWN the facilities that can produce these things want to get paid for what they do, and small run stuff requires JUST as much set up as massive-run things.

The initial $10k is likely the smallest amount of money they could spend to get a factory to pump out even a small number of their card game. YES, -now- they're going to make a ton of profit, but the initial pricing was *just in case* they only hit 10K.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
1. Re: Hardware Reviews Jan 19, 2015, 14:58 HoSpanky

I got the nzxt s340 for Christmas (yay geeky girlfriend!), and it's pretty nice. The two 3.5inch drive bays are impossible to get all 4 screws into if your PSU is already in place, and there's the obvious lack of a 5.25" drive bay, but it's the cleanest-looking case I've ever seen by a long shot, the entire thing is designed to hide wires and simultaneously show off your computer's innards. Nice and compact, for being able to house a full size motherboard, two extended length video cards, and a water block. The fans it came with are surprisingly quiet for what they are.

Super pleased, although it's not for everybody.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
23. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 19, 2015, 07:25 HoSpanky

Techie714 wrote on Jan 19, 2015, 00:44:
JohnBirshire wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 22:18:
I bought H1Z1, but can't play it because you can't even remap your controls. ?!?!?!?!?!? *facepalm*

So far they are failing hard at basic game design, not off to a good start.

People like you are the problem with PC Gaming today. Early access....Geez!

Are...are you trying to defend a massive company's a use of a system designed for struggling independent developers? There's no reason SOE should be releasing a game that isn't feature-complete. I still don't understand people buying unfinished games, especially with the incredible number of them that have sat in EA for over a year, several of high have stopped getting updates.
You wouldn't be happy to pay for the first half of a movie, with the ending arriving...sometime. Maybe. Or half of any other product, for that matter. Why are people excited to pay for half of a game?

News Comments > Evolve System Specs
15. Re: Evolve System Specs Jan 12, 2015, 14:53 HoSpanky

I played in the beta and SLI isn't just unsupported, it's unplayable. The framerate lurches like it's constantly streaming an absurd amount of data. Disabling SLI got me smooth framerates but I don't want to be changing that setting because a game's dev team can't be bothered to fix it.

50gb install?? It's only got a few maps, are they pulling a Titanfall here and piling on a ton of uncompressed audio for people with machines that can't run it anyway?

Not impressed here. Great idea, but I found the beta to be underwhelming, and not just because of the SLI issue. GTAV is getting my gaming money this month.

News Comments > Job Posting Hints MS RTS Revival
3. Re: Job Posting Hints MS RTS Revival Jan 12, 2015, 14:39 HoSpanky

Damn, Jdreyer beat me to it. Was gonna say, Halo Wars 2?

If you have a 360, and a friend (that second part is just as important), find two copies of Halo Wars. It's blah in single player but in co-op, it's brilliant. You command the same army and will quickly find one of you is barking out what units you need on the front line while the other is managing upgrades and unit production. It's a simplistic rts but the units are surprisingly smart to help with the lack of precision from the controller scheme. And the cutscenes were a constant wow factor, although probably not as much now (but they're pre-rendered, and super pretty still).

I'd be happy with another Halo Wars, if it managed to be as fun as the first.

752 Comments. 38 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo