Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 703 (Apprentice)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Recommended Specs
3. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Recommended Specs Oct 23, 2014, 10:59 HoSpanky

Huh. Might actually pick this one up. Gonna wait a few weeks, as there are other games higher on my want list, and seeing how cheaty or not the game becomes will determine if I'm gonna play. I've mostly stepped away from competitive multiplayer because there's always someone out to ruin everyone else's good time, it seems.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Evil Within > 30 FPS "Not Supported"
35. Re: The Evil Within > 30 FPS Oct 9, 2014, 12:48 HoSpanky

Prez wrote on Oct 9, 2014, 12:38:
...Reviews tend to point out the crap ports, wait on them.

I was kind of with you until this last line. One of my biggest gripes with game reviews these days is that so many of them fail to mention porting problems. The better ones always do, but there are lots that don't.

Mmm, true, if the reviewer doesn't notice or care, and they're getting worse. But then again, I do remember there being a lot of bitching about NFS Rivals being locked at 30fps, and the absurdity that ensued when you unlocked it. That was right here on Blue's, and I'm assuming any other game with crippling issues will show up in the news here rather quickly. Now that the 30fps lock has been announced, someone will undoubtedly post a review concerning it.

Edited for cellphone autocorrecting weirdness.

32. Re: The Evil Within > 30 FPS Oct 9, 2014, 12:33 HoSpanky

"Designed properly" is the part you aren't paying attention to. If they build their motion blurring around it, and you bump up the framerate, it may look messed up.

And before you say "there wouldn't need to BE any blurring if it ran at 120fps!", it's possible that not getting a clear view of a creature is INTENTIONAL. Did you watch the hobbit at 48fps? Was godawful. The monsters looked better but the actors looked awful. Bigger *sometimes* isn't better. Locking the framerate so that the game looks "as intended", and making the ability to change that requiring minimal skills is fine. They don't want some moron setting the game to 60/120/144 and then putting up a review saying it looked awful.

Up close, I can absolutely tell the difference between 720 and 1080. At 10 feet away from a 46 inch screen? Probably not. Depending on what the content is, I'd bet you can't either, although you'll never admit to it.

Im not saying the lock to 30 isn't due to consoles. It very, very likely IS. But if the blurring they use for fast motion is done right, it won't matter, FH2 absolutely proves it. Oh, I'm sure you'd sit there and say "oh yeah it's 30fps", but that's only because you know it is. Uninformed? Nope. No fucking way. I played The Run at 30fps, it's unacceptable, thankfully the framerate CAN be unlocked in it. I thought FH2 would drive me nuts too, then I tried the demo and I'm telling you, it doesn't feel like 30fps.

Whether or not TEW does as good of a job is something else entirely. I'm betting it won't look very good, as most games are halfassed ports anymore. I'm also not stupid enough to pre-order a game, as if missing it for a day or two or a month is a big deal. Reviews tend to point out the crap ports, wait on them.

19. Re: The Evil Within > 30 FPS Oct 9, 2014, 11:25 HoSpanky

Jesus, do you guys even read the post before going into elitist asshole mode? The aspect ratio is intentionally there, as they put things in the black bars. The framerate is unlockable but unsupported, as is the aspect ratio. If you cant be bothered to use console commands, turn in your pc elitist badge because you just want a console without console restrictions.

30 fps is surprisingly fine, IF the game is properly built around it. Destiny plays quite smoothly, and Forza horizon 2 feels like 60, both are locked at 30. I don't know what voodoo they're using in FH2, but it's butter-smooth, no matter what sort of silly shit is going on. Demo it at a store or grab the demo if you have an Xbone, if no one TOLD you it was 30, you'd assume it was 60.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 9, 2014, 11:05 HoSpanky

Surprisingly, the starting menu has no ads. Hop one page over, yeah, ads for games, movies n dlc.

I hope they fix the issue of sleep mode not working properly. I just have gotten used to shutting a game down when I put it to sleep because it's gonna act all KINDS of crazy when it wakes up. Forza Horizon 2 is terrible about it, but the devs said they know about it and are looking into a fix. Has something to do with how the memory works, and how it flushes unneeded things out, combined with a game that streams data.

News Comments > Next Car Game Renamed Wreckfest; Multiplayer Introduced
8. Re: Next Car Game Renamed Wreckfest; Multiplayer Introduced Oct 4, 2014, 14:31 HoSpanky

I don't care WHAT they call it, they need to make the tech demo level playable in multi. Maybe a couple wacky playgrounds like it. I bought into the game (the one and only game I've crowdfunded), and the ridiculous physics demo level has given me FAR more entertainment than any of the rest of the material they've released.

Also, if you happen to own an Xbone, I highly suggest you pick up Forza Horizon 2. Has just the right FEEL, and if you weren't aware that it runs at 30fps, you'd never know. It feels silky smooth at all times, even with 12 cars smashing through an orchard, with saplings and grass flying everywhere. The rain effects are the best I've seen yet, and even small touches like how oncoming headlights look are an incredible improvement over anything I've seen. The "cat and mouse" gameplay mode didn't make it in from the first game, and that's literally my only complaint. It's a big complaint, and it may show up again later, but considering people don't seem to always understand the team races, c&m may be expecting too much thought from players.

Sorry, got off on a tangent there.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 1, 2014, 23:12 HoSpanky

Been a noticable lack of confidence in BOTH of the new consoles. Part of this is from third party publishers wanting their games on as many machines as possible, but some is first-party, which is surprising. Forza 5 was Xbone-exclusive but Forza horizon 2 is on Xbone and 360, and altho they're supposedly different games, videos online prove they're more similar than Microsoft wants to admit.

If they want to sell the new consoles they NEED to make games exclusive to them. Cross-generation games just won't look as good, lowering people's interest in the new machines because the old one "does it almost as well". Every game that isn't an exclusive is also a game that holds back people who are on the fence about upgrading. This is the first time iirc that games were still coming out for both generations a year after launch. Maybe it's due to the longer development cycles games have now, dunno. Just doesn't look like anyone is willing to jump in feet first this time.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 24, 2014, 16:56 HoSpanky

To be fair, they HAVE to ramp up "hacker" parts in shows, because watching someone frantically typing on a keyboard just isn't exciting. My "favorite" way that they TRIED to make that look interesting was to have the screen projected onto the person's face, as if that shit ever happens, ever, at all.

And as for ridiculous hacker moments, the movie Hackers is packed end-to-end with unbelievable bullshittery.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation Sep 17, 2014, 10:55 HoSpanky

There IS a picture in that link, and it looks kinda like master chief's helmet. Moreso than coincidence, perhaps, but not much.

So FH2 can be digitally pre-ordered, which is a terrible plan. Limited space on the Xbone is pushing me to go disc when I can, and on top of that, digital copies can't be traded in later, making them worth less, but cost the same.
Oh wait, no, it costs $10 MORE than a physical copy, since buying it from the Microsoft Store gets me a $10 Xbox live card.

Edit: the demo is pretty much everything I hoped it'd be. I read that it runs at 30fps like the original, but it certainly doesn't feel like 30. The demo has the car I spent 90% of my time using in FH1, the Lancer, and it'll likely get just as much time, if not more, now that you can plow through fences and go offroad.

Also, they could rename the game Exploding Park Bench Simulator. They don't fall apart like everything else.

This comment was edited on Sep 17, 2014, 11:01.

News Comments > Xbox One Controller for Windows in November
8. Re: Xbox One Controller for Windows in November Sep 17, 2014, 10:39 HoSpanky

Verno wrote on Sep 17, 2014, 09:59:
Quboid wrote on Sep 17, 2014, 09:33:
Maybe it's just me but this looks like another case of Microsoft telling customers what they want to buy. This is why the Xbone is getting hammered by the PS4, dumbasses.

Yeah I agree. I don't know what they were thinking by not offering a little wireless dongle.

They are thinking "hey, this already works on pc, let's put forth zero effort and make it the "pc version" of the controller!".
Sorry, I'm quite happy with my wireless 360 controller. Trying to sell me an inferior product for MORE than the wireless controller + dongle is incredibly foolish. Notice they're not making a wired controller, they're just packaging a standard Xbone controller with the USB charging cord and calling it a wired controller.

News Comments > MS Working on Xbox Streaming to Browsers?
12. Re: MS Working on Xbox Streaming to Browsers? Sep 13, 2014, 16:33 HoSpanky

Can't work well, no way. Steam streaming has trouble with 1080p over a wired gigabit network, they're not gonna pull off 60fps/1080p over the Internet.  

News Comments > PC GTA5 in January
80. Re: PC GTA5 in January Sep 13, 2014, 11:01 HoSpanky

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 13, 2014, 09:29:
oh, and in case we don't have everyone yet -

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/crew/bluesnews

note to LIEUTENANTS and REPRESENTATIVES, let me or Blue know if someone needs to be promoted - or if you are muscle and play a ton, let us know so we can adjust your rank.

Thanks.

Bats.

I'll join up when gta5 actually comes out, unless that includes max Payne 3. Dunno. I just downloaded it after having bought it months ago, but THEN I got an Xbone, so prolly in a couple weeks I'll get to MP3. And this late, MP3's pc multiplayer crowd is probably quite thin, so maybe it won't matter in there anyway.

News Comments > PC GTA5 in January
40. Re: PC GTA5 in January Sep 12, 2014, 13:30 HoSpanky

This has nothing to do with QC, it's to get the most sales during the holiday that they can. Which is exactly what EVERY publisher is doing, and expecting that THEIR big game is the big game people want.

Speaking of, Destiny is actually...good. Far more ambitious than I expected, looks great and runs liquidy smooth. Feels exactly like Halo, but that's hard to cry about. Hoping its coming to PC in a few months, as it's Halo, Borderlands, and an MMO rolled up nicely. I may not re-buy it on pc though, it doesn't feel or look gimped in the slightest.

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 11, 2014, 14:03 HoSpanky

I agree, Meat, I *loved* the first one, and the announcement of the second one is what tipped the scale on buying an Xbone. Mine showed up yesterday, haven't had a chance to fiddle with it yet. Came with Destiny and Forza5, Crimson Dragon is free this month with Gold, and I'm excited to mess around with Killer Instinct.

But I bought it for horizon 2.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 9, 2014, 23:22 HoSpanky

It was crazy illegal, the US had ZERO jurisdiction but convinced the New Zealand government to go along with it. Hollywood apparently has that much influence over the US government.

It's a case of blatant overreach, and I hope NZ keeps denying the US whatever it asks for on the case. They're STILL trying to extradite him, and I hope they never get him. Precedence from this case will be used in any file-sharing case to follow.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
3. Re: Xbox One Controller Driver for Mac Sep 9, 2014, 13:11 HoSpanky

nin wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 10:09:
Ozmodan wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 10:02:
It probably depends on the game, but I have yet to find a game that does not play better with a keyboard and mouse than a console controller.

Seems like a big waste of time making a mac driver for such, considering that the mac has far less games available to it.

I'd hate to play a racing or flight based game with k/m only.

I use my 360 controller for about half of my games. But it works wirelessly, and MS has yet to release an adapter to allow the Xbone controller to work wirelessly.
Also, from what it looks like, this guy intends to sell the driver, which means DRM to keep people from just passing it around.

News Comments > etc., etc.
5. Re: etc., etc. Sep 6, 2014, 12:40 HoSpanky

Wallshadows wrote on Sep 6, 2014, 00:31:
Sounds like too much to go in to a single movie without having to dump corners and trivialize the Colossals.

Not to mention being built around a love interest. I swear, why do movies with such potential have to be mired in a love story. Is that something the game had as well or is this just another shoehorned subplot that's going to take too much time to explore?

The game's plot revolves around the girl you're trying to bring back to life, yes. I imagine they'll leave out the less-than-interesting colossi, like the gorilla one and the smallish pig/bull. If you have a ps3 and a 3d display, SotC is awesome in 3d. You already spend the game feeling small, in 3d you get a much better feel for how enormous these creatures are. The story is bare-bones, but still good. And even though I'd played through it on the ps2, I still felt horrible taking down the horse colossus. It spends the entire "fight" just curiously wondering what this little creature running around it is.

SotC and Super Stardust HD are really the only two games I've played that actually benefit from 3D. SSHD goes from being a near incomprehensible mess of stuff onscreen to making incredible spatial sense, and even though its one of the ps3's earlier games, it looks fantastic.

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 4, 2014, 12:24 HoSpanky

Is this MS's way of beating PS4 to a cheaper bundle with Destiny? No OFFICIAL bundle, but so VERY curious that it's during Destiny's launch week.  

News Comments > Ryse: Son of Rome Next Month; Specs Revealed
22. Re: Ryse: Son of Rome Next Month; Specs Revealed Sep 4, 2014, 12:13 HoSpanky

SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 4, 2014, 10:58:
SlimRam wrote on Sep 4, 2014, 10:55:
IMAGINE!

"When your starting to get a RYSE, Reach for a Trojan brand condom!"

I think it's worth a shot to send your resume to Crytek

I think it'd be worth SlimRam's time to learn proper grammar first. The ad idea is funny, tho, I imagine it with a little Trojan soldier next to it. If the extreme gore in Ryse gives you a boner though, you've got other problems.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 3, 2014, 10:30 HoSpanky

So, they say local governments should subsidize private sector ISPs. Why aren't locals building shell companies that the local gov't then gives the same massive subsidies AT&T wants, effectively making their own ISPs but labelled as a "private company"? It's not illegal, it's skirting the law, which is exactly what these massive companies have done for years.

That's fair competition.

703 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo