Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 881 (Graduate)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > SUPERHOT Beta
4. Re: SUPERHOT Beta Aug 1, 2015, 12:51 HoSpanky

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 1, 2015, 12:29:
Looked really awesome until it got a name, and a trailer saying it over and over.

Ugh, agreed. "Super. Hot. Super. Hot." Every time they say it, the amount I'm willing to pay for it goes lower.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > NVIDIA and AMD Windows 10 Drivers
6. Re: NVIDIA and AMD Windows 10 Drivers Jul 29, 2015, 21:02 HoSpanky

Installed 10 over win7 on my desktop, where it decided I was running an 8 gb video card (actually a pair of 970s). I had to get into device manager and actually click on one of the cards listed there to get it to realize that maybe it could let me run over 1024x768.

So far, that's been the only hitch. I'm honestly shocked at how smooth the whole thing went.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 29, 2015, 10:13 HoSpanky

PunkiBastardo wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 10:00:
Yeah! In their last "recommitment to PC gaming" news release they forgot to mention only Xbone owners would be able to benefit from it. Good old Microsoft as always...

What would it take from MS to show that they give a crap about PC Gaming? DX12 is, from all early accounts, a massive step forward. Why does everyone ignore that?

I don't care that they aren't terribly interested in bringing xbone games to win10. You'd all just complain that they're "consolized" anyway, and proceed not to purchase them. Making the new version of DX into something with REAL advancements is a way better offer than a Halo game or whatnot. I don't care that it's sorta what Mantle was. Mantle wasn't going to see big adoption because it relies on people buying AMD cards. Dx12 works on both, and offers devs some really impressive options if people have multiple video cards.

This is all assuming devs jump into dx12, but with free upgrades for tons of people, and the near-free performance bonuses just from recompiling in dx12, I'm assuming it'll be adopted incredibly quickly.

News Comments > Free HotS Stimpacks for New Players
3. Re: Free HotS Stimpacks for New Players Jul 28, 2015, 21:59 HoSpanky

Stim packs are like 150% gold gain, 100% XP gain.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10ish
7. Re: Steam Top 10ish Jul 27, 2015, 07:59 HoSpanky

From all the positive press and user response, I've got no issue dropping $20 on rocket league, the trick is convincing my eternally cheap friends to. one of them is on the edge but the rest...steam sales have convinced them that everything drops to $5 eventually.  

News Comments > New DOOM is Fast; Want Co-op? Not So Fast
6. Re: New DOOM is Fast; Want Co-op? Not So Fast Jul 26, 2015, 14:35 HoSpanky

Co-op limits their ability to script levels, and adds balancing issues. While I love a good co-op experience, there are reasons to leave it out, and "lazy devs" isn't it.

There is no tension in a co-op game. Also, scripting has to be minimal to avoid players accidentally getting trapped or triggering multiple events at the same time. Each possible additional player makes it more and more problematic.

Games with stories geared for co-op aren't as good solo, and vice versa. I'm currently going to give them the benefit of the doubt that they have a plan and co-op doesn't fit into it. When modders shoehorn it in later, it'll have weird moments that people will forgive because a modder did it, like the co-op mod for Half Life 2.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
4. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jul 25, 2015, 15:54 HoSpanky

A single, regulated service would be fine. I think ISPs should be responsible for providing a minimum level of service, and if they can't, they forfeit their lines. It's pie-in-the-sky, but it'd be more favorable for consumers. Having a ton of choices isn't as great of an idea as you may think. It's not like going to the store and having 6 flavored of ice cream. our underground line guys are constantly hitting the other company's lines, and vice versa. If there were 6 pedestals in your yard for various companies, not only would lines be cut even MORE often, but people would complain about having the pedestals there. They bitch and moan and plant thorn/sawgrass around them, which we promptly stomp flat. Having even more terminals they compulsively have to hide...

Never mind. I want to see those assholes burst a blood vessel over it.

As for pricing, yeah, it sucks. I do think there needs to be some regulation on it due to the general lack of competition, because it's definitely getting out of hand. I'm sure it's partly to cover the lost revenue from cord cutters, but even THAT is because of insane TV pricing, which is driven up up up by networks. You do realize that when a network lands a huge show like TWD, they use it to raise how much the cable provider has to pay to have access to it, yes? That allll rolls downhill.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
1. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jul 25, 2015, 13:36 HoSpanky

I work for one of these big "nefarious" internet providers. IN MY STATE, we have a pretty good reputation, but people are constantly asking why we don't offer service in (insert small pocket of homes here). People want competing service providers, and I don't blame them. Competition is good for consumers!

But as the article states...it's expensive to expand, and being the second company in a neighborhood nets less than 50% of the residents switching over. It's why you rarely have more than two choices. If 30% conversion won't make up the cost of building into a neighborhood, there's no incentive to do so...companies exist to make money, not purposefully lose it.

That's not even getting into the complexity of an expansion. A neighborhood with the lines on poles is easier, but has an infinite recurring cost of pole rental from the incumbent power company. Ones with the lines underground are a massive PITA, and generally avoided.

Expansion happens mostly in new neighborhoods, or horribly underserved ones. I used to work for a small fiber-to-the-home company, and wiring up a 2-stop light town cost $44million. But they tend to get a 90% conversion rate, due to intentionally picking horribly underserved towns. If you live in a small town, don't ignore the walk-around poll person, they may be part of one of those fiber initiatives. Extreme displeasure in the current options' service (not price, but the service reliability and response to issues) is what they look for. It's not a fast process, but if YOU were deciding where to spend about $50 million, you'd be cautious as well.

Point is, it's easy to COMPLAIN about having few internet options, and almost everyone does. Most of those people never realize WHY they have few options.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
2. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Jul 25, 2015, 13:16 HoSpanky

Yeah, but Norton isn't about to point that out.

Also, it's only more secure if it's secure in the first place. Microsoft doesn't exactly have the best record for Browser Security.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 24, 2015, 14:33 HoSpanky

Don't know where to post this on the site, so HERE seemed as good as any...

Just saw the new Vacation movie, which turned out to be surprisingly funny. Helms plays the same guy he always does, which isn't a bad thing. Applegate does alright, and the boys playing Rusty's sons are fanTASTIC. They movie gets WAY more mileage out of the ridiculous car than it should, and the callbacks to the original movie are pretty much confined to what's in the trailer.

It's by no means a SMART comedy, but it's consistently clever and moves so quickly that several probably funny lines were drowned out (one audience member complained about this, apparently he likes his comedies to move slower). The R rating is almost entirely for language, the lion's share of which comes out of the youngest son's mouth.

If you thought the trailer was funny, then you can confidently see the rest of the film, which shockingly packs in the jokes at the same rate, never stopping to take a breath.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
3. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jul 23, 2015, 08:22 HoSpanky

Ehh, I'd rather just fire up Super Stardust HD (in 3D). It's the only game I've played where the 3d aspect actually improves the game, drastically. Since everything is always moving, and it's difficult to judge the size of some of the falling debris, being in 3D really helps in determining what's actually a threat.  

News Comments > Gears of War Ultimate on PC After Xbox
10. Re: Gears of War Ultimate on PC After Xbox Jul 22, 2015, 15:12 HoSpanky

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 13:33:
DX12 is a massive FUCK YOU to PC gamers. Microsoft had all but abandoned DX to focus on consoles, when AMD brought out Mantle and offered low-level access to the hardware. It was only when it realised it might lose its dominance over PC gaming that Microsoft started work on DX12 and designed it around the XB1, which was losing out massively to the PS4. In typical Microsoft style it decided to make DX12 a Windows 10 exclusive.

To re-release the original Gears Of War on PC is just a massive insult, a reminder that Microsoft fucked over PC gamers with all the sequels. They're basically trying to get PC gamers to subsidise the cost of porting Gears Of War to XB1.

So yeah, fuck Microsoft and fuck this delay.

I don't get the hatred here. Win10 is technically free for the next year. OF COURSE they're going to tie DX12 to it, if they just....put out all the features for win10 into a prior version, it wouldn't be a new version of Windows.

It's like complaining that a game doesn't give out the content for all of its sequels, for free, because you bought the first game.

News Comments > Gears of War Ultimate on PC After Xbox
2. Re: Gears of War Ultimate on PC After Xbox Jul 22, 2015, 09:38 HoSpanky

I disagree that they're "screwing over PC gamers". DX12 looks to be a pretty significant improvement, and if that's all they "contribute" to PC gaming, it's still apparently a big contribution.

I'm not saying I DON'T want to see Halo on the PC, but it's a slower-paced game designed around controllers. Do you guys REMEMBER Halo 1/2 on PC? Headshot city, no reason to use ANYTHING but the pistol.

I'd much rather see the Gears games, especially GoW3, which took GoW2's "you can see where we're hitting a technical wall" and said "yeah, we somehow found INFINITE RENDER POWER, so here's a game that looks impossibly better than the first two, on the same hardware". GoW3 looks as good as most "next-gen" games. I'll be surprised if this remake of the original looks as good as GoW3.

And I'll go ahead and state that I'd pay full price, again, for both Forza Horizon games on PC. It'll never, ever happen, and the PC wouldn't do much for them, but I'd still LIKE it to happen.

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Leoric Released
7. Re: Heroes of the Storm Leoric Released Jul 22, 2015, 09:26 HoSpanky

I've spent...$10. $5 on the starter pack, and much later, $5 on Anub'Arak's LoveBug skin. For the amount of time I've enjoyed the game, I think $10 is a pretty good deal.  

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Patch May Break Mods
3. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Patch May Break Mods Jul 21, 2015, 12:41 HoSpanky

I found early on that the setting that hurt my framerate the most was Extended Distance Scaling. Didn't make much of a visual difference.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
1. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 19, 2015, 15:52 HoSpanky

Man, Ark is apparently unstoppable!

My obsession with it has waned a bit after hitting the top tech tier, but it took around 100 hours to do that, and I had a blast getting there. They keep adding more things to make and additional levels required to do so. Supposedly there will be futuristic weaponry before they're done, and several "ultimate life forms" to take down, so it'll draw me back in every couple weeks, I'm sure.

It may not be for everyone, and it's clearly unfinished, but I'll be damned if it wasn't perfectly timed (with Jurassic World's release), and in good enough shape to keep people from regretting their purchase.

News Comments > TotalBiscuit, Steam, and 30 FPS Lock-Blocking
20. Re: TotalBiscuit, Steam, and 30 FPS Lock-Blocking Jul 17, 2015, 14:40 HoSpanky

I'm not going to argue that 30 FPS is fine. It's not, at least not when I've ponied up for some pretty powerful equipment. But the issue isn't linked soley to framerate. Clever post processing can fool you.

Got an Xbone? If so, here's a free test you can do yourself, today. Download black flag (free this month) and the Forza horizon 2 demo. Both games run at 30fps, but black flag will feel far less smooth. This has multiple reasons. Both are open-world, but black flag will occasionally struggle to hold onto that 30fps. FH2 has a death grip on it. FH2's post processing is JUST the right amount of motion blur to fool your eye into thinking it's moving smoother. BF goes overboard with it, to the point that there nothing discernible when you turn quickly. That doesn't help with the illusion of smooth motion.

Sunset overdrive seems to use the same filter as FH2, as it also feels far smoother than it should at 30fps.

I'm not arguing for 30fps on PC, but 30 CAN be made more acceptable, which would work out well for those with aging hardware.

News Comments > Deadpool Game Returns
7. Re: Deadpool Game Returns Jul 16, 2015, 12:07 HoSpanky

Brazor wrote on Jul 16, 2015, 11:45:
That's a long negotiating process for one game.

I'm betting they re-negotiated for it now that there's a Deadpool movie coming out.

It can be had for cheap for 360/PS3 and likely the only difference is framerate. $40 is pretty ridiculous when it's half that brand new on consoles, and a quarter of it used. I've heard it's got fantastic cutscenes, but the gameplay is meh.

News Comments > No PC Batman: Arkham Knight Until Fall?
12. Re: No PC Batman: Arkham Knight Until Fall? Jul 16, 2015, 11:57 HoSpanky

Wow, that's...surprising.

I wonder if it's because the console versions are guaranteed to have 4gb of video memory, while most of gamers are still running 2?

I've seen that some people are having no issues after the mini-patch they tossed out a couple days in. If you're NOT having problems, mind posting some basic specs? I'm wondering if those people have a playable game due to brute force. I haven't tried it since the patch, but it ran terribly on launch day. Specs:
Gtx 970 x 2
I7 4.0 ghz (not sure what exact model, is recent)
16gb ram
Game and OS on SSD.

News Comments > Jade Raymond Joins EA
14. Re: Jade Raymond Joins EA Jul 13, 2015, 16:20 HoSpanky

Task wrote on Jul 13, 2015, 15:39:
I read that the Star Wars game is supposed to be in the style of "Uncharted." Not sure how I feel about that; basically on rails 3rd person shooters. I'd rather hear about a Star Wars game being made "in the style of Dark Forces 1 & 2" "X-Wing" or "TIE Fighter." Or perhaps it'll surprise me, who knows...

So, it'll be another Force Unleashed? Because that was "in the style of Uncharted".

To be honest, I really liked the first one. The second one was clearly cranked out as quickly as possible, and sucked.

881 Comments. 45 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo