Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
West Point, NE 02/20

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 739 (Apprentice)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 26, 2015, 12:34 HoSpanky

Rocket cars is visually fantastic, but the first time you skid a hair too close to the endge of the track, it'll spin your car and send you, often, straight into yet another obstacle.

The steering isn't intuitive, as you grab the back of the car and push it, so to turn left, you slide your finger to the right. It never feels natural, I've played for maybe an hour and in tense moments, I'll turn the completely wrong direction. And no, you can't switch it, aside from an even worse corner-tapping control scheme.

It's your usual FTP, with paywalls for doubling income and buying gems to buy cars.

But back to the visuals...it looks fanTASTIC. The art style looks like clay models drawn on with colored pencils, that's my best approximation. Very smooth animations, the cars lean and wobble wonderfully. Shame about the controls.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Grow Home Next Month
8. Re: Grow Home Next Month Jan 23, 2015, 07:56 HoSpanky

It's quite likely that the dev team invested what little Ubi gave them into the plant growth/climbing mechanic. If it get decent reviews I'll probably pick it up. So tired of the news feed's constant "here's another zombie survival game" listings. I would much rather play this than shoot one more terribly animated zombie in the face.  

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
3. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 22, 2015, 20:27 HoSpanky

The price of the base CaH game is $25, and it's black and white. this *appears* to be using color cards. My girlfriend works VERY part time (conventions) for a small game maker, the cost to produce something when you DON'T own the facilities is shocking. Go to a board game convention, see games that cost $45-$50, and there's just a game board, a bunch of cards, and maybe some wooden markers, and you think "why is this so expensive?". It's expensive because the people who OWN the facilities that can produce these things want to get paid for what they do, and small run stuff requires JUST as much set up as massive-run things.

The initial $10k is likely the smallest amount of money they could spend to get a factory to pump out even a small number of their card game. YES, -now- they're going to make a ton of profit, but the initial pricing was *just in case* they only hit 10K.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
1. Re: Hardware Reviews Jan 19, 2015, 14:58 HoSpanky

I got the nzxt s340 for Christmas (yay geeky girlfriend!), and it's pretty nice. The two 3.5inch drive bays are impossible to get all 4 screws into if your PSU is already in place, and there's the obvious lack of a 5.25" drive bay, but it's the cleanest-looking case I've ever seen by a long shot, the entire thing is designed to hide wires and simultaneously show off your computer's innards. Nice and compact, for being able to house a full size motherboard, two extended length video cards, and a water block. The fans it came with are surprisingly quiet for what they are.

Super pleased, although it's not for everybody.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
23. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 19, 2015, 07:25 HoSpanky

Techie714 wrote on Jan 19, 2015, 00:44:
JohnBirshire wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 22:18:
I bought H1Z1, but can't play it because you can't even remap your controls. ?!?!?!?!?!? *facepalm*

So far they are failing hard at basic game design, not off to a good start.

People like you are the problem with PC Gaming today. Early access....Geez!

Are...are you trying to defend a massive company's a use of a system designed for struggling independent developers? There's no reason SOE should be releasing a game that isn't feature-complete. I still don't understand people buying unfinished games, especially with the incredible number of them that have sat in EA for over a year, several of high have stopped getting updates.
You wouldn't be happy to pay for the first half of a movie, with the ending arriving...sometime. Maybe. Or half of any other product, for that matter. Why are people excited to pay for half of a game?

News Comments > Evolve System Specs
15. Re: Evolve System Specs Jan 12, 2015, 14:53 HoSpanky

I played in the beta and SLI isn't just unsupported, it's unplayable. The framerate lurches like it's constantly streaming an absurd amount of data. Disabling SLI got me smooth framerates but I don't want to be changing that setting because a game's dev team can't be bothered to fix it.

50gb install?? It's only got a few maps, are they pulling a Titanfall here and piling on a ton of uncompressed audio for people with machines that can't run it anyway?

Not impressed here. Great idea, but I found the beta to be underwhelming, and not just because of the SLI issue. GTAV is getting my gaming money this month.

News Comments > Job Posting Hints MS RTS Revival
3. Re: Job Posting Hints MS RTS Revival Jan 12, 2015, 14:39 HoSpanky

Damn, Jdreyer beat me to it. Was gonna say, Halo Wars 2?

If you have a 360, and a friend (that second part is just as important), find two copies of Halo Wars. It's blah in single player but in co-op, it's brilliant. You command the same army and will quickly find one of you is barking out what units you need on the front line while the other is managing upgrades and unit production. It's a simplistic rts but the units are surprisingly smart to help with the lack of precision from the controller scheme. And the cutscenes were a constant wow factor, although probably not as much now (but they're pre-rendered, and super pretty still).

I'd be happy with another Halo Wars, if it managed to be as fun as the first.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 9, 2015, 13:40 HoSpanky

Creston wrote on Jan 9, 2015, 11:23:
nin wrote on Jan 9, 2015, 11:16:
Microsoft reassures Xbox One owners over DRM rights

"Don't worry about your DRM rights. You'll have none, just like you didn't have any before."

I like how MS says "Oh, don't worry, you can always just go into your download history and redownload the game from there."

Okay. What if that history is wiped somehow? What if your box breaks and you get a new one? Seems to me like you're gonna be screwed.

The message, as always: Don't Trust Microsoft On ANYTHING.

The box doesn't keep the sole copy of your download record. It's your account. It works the same way Steam does, where the rare de-listed title can still be downloaded if you have it in your account. So unless you lose your account, you should be fine.

If the game was locked to THAT console (like on the wii), then when the 360s would red ring, customers would lose all downloaded games forever. That would have singlehandedly killed the digital market, people wouldn't buy digital anything, for fear of losing it when the hardware it was bought on died.

News Comments > Codemasters Layoffs Coming
2. Re: Codemasters Layoffs Coming Jan 9, 2015, 10:55 HoSpanky

If they're lucky (and have the skills needed), they can get in at Playground Games. Other Codies ended up there already, as well as people from Bizzarre. They made the only non-disappointing racing game so far this generation, so they're probably not gonna be scaling back anytime soon.  

News Comments > Chaos Ride Begins
6. Re: Chaos Ride Begins Jan 2, 2015, 15:11 HoSpanky

jdreyer wrote on Jan 2, 2015, 14:42:
I would love an updated version of that Star Wars podracing game from the late 90s. I really enjoyed that game.

Ahh, Pod Racer, a game that was better than its source material. Since Mario Kart will forever be on Nintendo systems, your only other decent option is Sonic Racing Transformed, which, like Pod Racer, is way better than it needed to be. Graphically, it's not quite at the standard of Mario Kart 8, but it's still quite pretty, with tracks that change during each lap. Also, there's no replacement for the Luigi Death Stare in it.

Sadly, I give you this info right after Steam's sale ended. Sonic Transformed drops to $5 all the time though.

News Comments > Chaos Ride Begins
1. Re: Chaos Ride Begins Jan 2, 2015, 10:25 HoSpanky

"Does anyone remember a game from GRIN called Ballistics? We really liked that game, because this is the same thing, with graphics that have inexplicably not advanced in the 14 year gap."

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines and AvP 2010 No Longer Sold on Steam
2. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines and AvP 2010 No Longer Sold on Steam Jan 1, 2015, 11:08 HoSpanky

Is this due to a licensing issue, as the Deadpool game did last year (after being on sale for maybe 2 months)?  

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
2. Re: Sunday Consolidation Dec 28, 2014, 20:30 HoSpanky

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 28, 2014, 18:25:
Wow! Xbox 360 games on demand, if you don't have GTA5 it is only 25.00!!!!

I WILL RESIST!
Waiting for the PC version.

News Comments > SPINTIRES Developer/Publisher Spat
1. Re: SPINTIRES Developer/Publisher Spat Dec 28, 2014, 19:26 HoSpanky

Well, that's a shame. Hopefully this is just a misunderstanding, it'd suck to see a game die early. I can't get my friends interested in Spintires, it looks like a differnt sort of game to play in multi.  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
1. SSDs to outprice HDDs Dec 28, 2014, 14:28 HoSpanky

This would be great, I still haven't been able to pull the trigger on a 1tb SSD for my games.  

News Comments > Respawn on Titanfall on Origin vs. Steam
20. Re: Respawn on Titanfall on Origin vs. Steam Dec 20, 2014, 07:57 HoSpanky

Origin is annoying, mostly because EA won't go back and fix pre-origin EA games' friends lists to work with it. Lowered visibility by limiting it to Origin was one thing.

The 50 gb install is what kept me from buying it. Uncompressed audio so it works a little better for people whose machines can't run it anyway? Terrible decision. Not going back to allow for compressed audio and a smaller install proved that their ONLY idea of "ongoing support" was to sell DLC.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 19, 2014, 16:22 HoSpanky

Neither of the consoles has the muscle for VR. Oculus Rift is sitting at 75fps/1080p and still isn't considered good enough for commercial release.

The worst part is when the console version sucks, the generally ignorant population will assume the pc version is just as nauseating and won't bother with it. I constantly, still, run into people who think consoles are WAY more powerful than a pc, because they saw a game run on their friend's shitty $400 laptop and it was terrible.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 11, 2014, 20:58 HoSpanky

I'm not sure how AT&T will fix the issue. It's not even remotely reasonable to run fiber to each home if they're a mile apart, but DSL signal falls apart at around 5000 feet. Bonded pair lets them push surprising speeds at 5k, but the dropoff is still swift at longer distances.

Cable companies are honestly better suited for it, but the number of amplifiers required to get signal that far would mean a high noise floor, giving people zero headroom if there was even the tiniest hint of signal intrusion. And intrusion is more common the longer the feed, so it's pretty much impossible.

The only technically POSSIBLE solutions are:
1: Fiber to the home, which is actually cheaper than the second option:
2: fiber to local nodes, which feed 5-6 customers

Local nodes that convert signal from fiber to multi-connection DSL/cable/uverse(VDSL) are stupid expensive, and not even remotely cost effective for less than around 200 customers.

So this SHOULD force companies wanting the subsidies to install FTTH for rural customers. I'd almost bet they dump the subsidy to avoid the buildout/maintenance cost. Lines run rurally are usually aerial, and can have miles unprotected by trees. Fiber's main weakness is that it's incredibly fragile in the cold, I'd expect lines to crack every winter. No customer will pay enough to keep that profitable.

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Nov 30, 2014, 16:58 HoSpanky

ehh, at least they admit, multiple times, that 60 FPS is the best option, but they're explaining why people with...budget-limited machines might want to force theirs to run at 30fps, and how.

I was actually surprised that Nvidia has a setting for forcing 30FPS in the driver control panel.

Also, personally, I find screen tearing to be a far, FAR worse sin than being forced to run at 30fps. I've got v-sync forced on in my drivers. Why have my card render frames I LITERALLY WON'T SEE on a 60hz monitor, raising their temperature and therefore the noise in my computer?

Despite most of the new console games running at 30fps...some look great, others don't move smoothly, and it's largely down to what sort of motion blur they employ (if any). I've said it before, Black Flag on the Xbone is painfully obvious that it's running at 30fps, while Forza Horizon 2 uses voodoo magic to feel liquidy smooth.

News Comments > The Crew Reviews Delay
24. Re: The Crew Reviews Delay Nov 25, 2014, 17:54 HoSpanky

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Nov 25, 2014, 16:09:
nin wrote on Nov 25, 2014, 13:59:
Agent.X7 wrote on Nov 25, 2014, 13:56:
I've been waiting on a decent racing game for next gen, but nobody seems able to deliver. Too much emphasis on letting the game post to Facebook for you, not enough on racing and cars.

Totally agree. Looked at NFS last fall, but it seemed more focused on online. Driveclub also looked pretty focused on online, and they still can't get the servers working, apparently. And now this...

Maybe Project Cars? It looks so good it's almost too good to be true...

I've been enjoying the Hell out of Forza Horizon 2, if you have an Xbox One of course. It has some social hooks but they're all easily ignored and the single player open-world racing stuff is fantastic fun.

I second this, Forza Horizon 2 is pretty much the best racing game I've played since...well, since FH1. It heavily factored into my purchase of an Xbone, and it did not disappoint. The multiplayer is optional, although it will populate your game world with AI named after friends/random people even if you play offline. The progression isn't as pronounced as FH1, but it does encourage you to try different types of vehicles more than FH1.
And if you haven't played either, both have demos available, so you can decide if the driving model is to your taste.

739 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo