Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 796 (Graduate)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. May 27, 2015, 19:10 HoSpanky

Hahaha @ that completely botched sex scene. I actually hope one does that, hilarious!  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Iron Brigade Replaces GFWL Matchmaking with Steam
4. Re: Iron Brigade Replaces GFWL Matchmaking with Steam May 27, 2015, 08:04 HoSpanky

This game is a hoot with friends. In Single Player, it's almost impossible to get a single mech capable of being effective against all enemy types on a given map. Even adding one person helps immensely, as long as you coordinate what weapons/towers you're bringing in. The short intros to levels are Double-Fine standard; mostly there to say something funny.

GFWL didn't seem to be a problem in IB, but that doesn't mean I'm sad it's been removed.

News Comments > Fraudulent ESO Keys Banned
21. Re: Fraudulent ESO Keys Banned May 27, 2015, 07:20 HoSpanky

They're not stolen CODES, they're simply purchased with stolen cards. And if you think it's not a big business, you're a fool. It's far easier to obtain and sell a digital product before the card owner realizes it than a physical product. They may purchase the keys from a lower-price territory, but that's not necessary since the original purchase price doesn't matter to the buyer, they're making 100% profit no matter what.

The "working man trying to catch a break" line is a terrible excuse. Altho, unlike people selling tvs from the back of a van, you're purchasing from an e-tailer who can make heir site look as pretty as any legit key seller. The site may normally BE a legit key seller, but they bought up a bunch of cheap keys and didn't ask where they came from. And with Steam offering crazy deals on games (altho usually not brand new ones), it could be difficult to tell if the site is legit.

I'm not sure revoking the keys is a good idea, but it DOES lower the chance that you'll buy from that vendor again, which is their end goal. With a game packed with micro transactions, I'm not sure how the dev loses on this one. When the new Mortal Kombat had keys available for $15 the week it came out, THAT should have raised some red flags. Oddly, didn't hear anything about bans for that one.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
7. Re: Steam Top 10 May 24, 2015, 21:53 HoSpanky

I'm impressed that the Witcher has two spots, means it isn't just redemption codes from video cards.  

News Comments > AMD Project CARS & Witcher 3 Beta Drivers Coming
7. Re: AMD Project CARS & Witcher 3 Beta Drivers Coming May 22, 2015, 08:41 HoSpanky

About half of my friends used to run ATI/AMD video cards. About a month ago, the last of them converted to Nvidia. AMD is slow to release drivers, rarely works with devs to get games working on their cards AHEAD of release, and their Crossfire setup ALWAYS has stutter issues.

I'd rather avoid all of that and go with the card that works right out the gate. Your defense of AMD is nothing more than defending your purchasing decision with "price" being your sole argument.

News Comments > CDPR on Witcher 3 Graphics Downgrades
44. Re: CDPR on Witcher 3 Graphics Downgrades May 21, 2015, 11:58 HoSpanky

Great Googly Moogly, what are you guys doing with all that ram? Hopefully you guys do high-Rez video editing or rendering. It's wasted in games.

I run 16gb, no page file. No game has ever run over 2.5 gb usage, never gone over about 7gb total, even with Chrome overflowing. I'm honestly curious what you guys build your machines to do! Mine is a web browser and game machine, nothing else.

News Comments > CDPR on Witcher 3 Graphics Downgrades
41. Re: CDPR on Witcher 3 Graphics Downgrades May 21, 2015, 11:46 HoSpanky

What I gathered from the interview is that when win10 comes out, there'll be a dx12 patch that allows some of the effects back into the game without massive performance hits.

It's still a gorgeous game, just not quite as incredible as the video. As to the person with a 6 core processor, 48 gigs of ram, and a 670 video card...seriously? You're surprised that a 3-generation old card can't run a brand new game full tilt? That processor is wasted with anything less than a 980, if not a pair of them. General rule of thumb on a system build is to spend AT LEAST twice as much on the video card(s) as the processor or you're setting yourself up for an early bottleneck. Especially with dx12 on the horizon, which offloads even more from the CPU to the GPU.

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed May 20, 2015, 17:52 HoSpanky

eRe4s3r wrote on May 20, 2015, 17:37:
So the author only plays decade old games and a few INDY titles? (Next to Witcher 3..)

That's pretty much what I got out of it.

His complaints about Steam are....pretty weak, honestly. "I have to be online to set offline mode!" and "It updates my games without asking me!" (which you can turn off, but he apparently doesn't care to look into things like that). I'm assuming this is a guy with a laptop who travels a lot, and wants to be able to play games when he's on the road. That's fair, but even then, he could hotspot to his phone to set Steam to offline mode.
And, as already stated, the only recent game he'll have to play is Witcher 3. Considering his apparent lack of internet connectivity, A huge solo RPG is likely right up his alley, but once he DOES finish it...then what? It honestly feel more like this was cooked up by GOG themselves, considering how excited he is over a barely-functional games portal.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Morning Consolidation May 20, 2015, 13:37 HoSpanky

So, an update: I decided to fire up the game again, was annoyed with the occasional terrible framerate hits from even just Geralt's hair on HairFX, and switched to the basic, which still looks pretty good. Everything else maxxed, the framerate is nice and smooth and I was able to play for quite a bit (most of the way through a quest, which as others have said, feels FAR more natural than how they go in most games) with no crashes.

So, my lockups are likely caused by the hair feature, which really doesn't have much effect on the game at all, not even visually. I'm currently kind of stuck, as I need to make some Wraith Oil, but I have no recipe for it, no one in the town sells it, and I can't do much damage to the monster without it (of course I tried!).

While the game isn't THE most gorgeous thing I've played, riding the horse into a forest, watching the wind pull the trees around, and seeing a startled herd of deer run for cover felt fantastically organic. Will definitely be putting more time into it. It came free with my video cards, and I've only put like...an hour and a half into it, so I can't say if it's worth full price yet, but so far, it's great. There's some hand-holding, but considering my lack of experience in the series, I appreciate it.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation May 20, 2015, 12:34 HoSpanky

It locks up on me far too often to be fun. I've got a pair of 970s, anyone else running SLI? The lockups always occur during cutscenes, right after the camera changes location. The last speech clip finishes playing, then silence. I can alt-tab and kill the process.

When it's NOT busy locking up, the game runs silky smooth, and actually strains the cards LESS than W2 (Witcher 2, with everything at max, is the only game to cause one of my cards to whine). Haven't had enough time with it to really decide one way or the other if I like it.

Things I've noticed:

The child version of Ciri has a weird-ass face.
The lack of strafing is annoying, but it hasn't gotten me killed yet.
I've been playing using a 360 controller, which seems to work fine.
The slowest horse movement speed has a hitch every time the animation cycles, stopping forward motion for a frame or two each time.

I'm assuming my lock-ups are SLI-related, which is something I've come to accept with a dual-card setup. Usually it gets sorted out within a couple weeks, or...6 months, in Far Cry 4's case. I was honestly shocked that GTAV exhibited zero weirdness with dual cards...my CPU holds that game back, and even then, it's only when driving at high speeds through downtown.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. May 19, 2015, 19:21 HoSpanky

Doesn't look funny. Not even a little.  

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Released
51. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Released May 19, 2015, 16:46 HoSpanky

So, I'm running a pair of 970s, with everything cranked except the hair. Runs great, riiiight up until it locks up. Seems to always happen during a non-interactive scene, right after the camera changes. Done it several times now, and I'm only to the first little village.

I don't doubt it's some issue with SLI. I can stand to wait it out for a couple patches.

News Comments > More NVIDIA Gameworks Controversy
24. Re: More NVIDIA Gameworks Controversy May 19, 2015, 12:56 HoSpanky

My logic on using Nvidia isn't based on being a fanboy. Their cards, more often than not, are the best-supported in games. That's all the reason I NEED to stick with them. I use an Intel processor because AMD still can't touch an early I5's performance. Competition is good, it keeps prices from getting completely out of hand, but AMD currently isn't competing. As someone else said on here (I think it was Cutter?), AMD only reacts, they're not proactive whatsoever. They aren't NEARLY as focused on getting with devs early on in a project to make sure it's being built to take advantage of their hardware.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue May 18, 2015, 15:21 HoSpanky

The LiLi/Thrall team may have been a mistake in game reporting. My badge currently displays me as a level 50, despite the max being 40. If you're on a Lan with another person, even if you're not in the same game instance, it may tell you that you are in pre/post game info. We fired up HOTS at a Lan recently and got some incredibly weird behavior when NOT actually playing a match. It'd lie about who was using what character, and for which team. Actual in-game was correct.

As for idiot players...well, it's F2P. Best to get as many friends as possible on your team before going in. Especially important to bring a healer, since pickup healers rarely actually heal.

News Comments > Oculus Rift Specs
27. Re: Oculus Rift Specs May 15, 2015, 23:21 HoSpanky

Ehh, I think Cutter's just angry at everything. I can't recall the last positive thing he's said, which speaks volumes for his actual life. He's lost any sense of wonder at tech breakthroughs, and from what I'm reading, doesn't understand the difference between 3D and VR.

It probably won't become the Next Big Thing, not until someone crafts a game that uses its advantages and makes the disadvantages (can't see your hands) seem OK. At that point, *IF* someone makes That Game, hardware sales will go crazy. The current consoles could manage some Meh-looking experiences, but if there's a PC-only title that knocks it out of the park, people will come.

We all thought the Wii was going to fail, didn't we?

As for the whole SLI/crossfire per-eye thing, I swear I read about Nvidia having put that into its drivers a year ago for the DK2. A quick Google search isn't finding it though. Don't worry, it'll happen. High end video cards will be required for this, and Towers may have a nice resurgence. Nvidia and AMD would be stupid not to cater to that crowd.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Syndicate Announced
18. Re: Assassin's Creed Syndicate Announced May 13, 2015, 06:22 HoSpanky

It hey already made the sequel to Black Flag, it's called AC: Rogue, and apparently has one of the best storylines of the series. It JUST launched on PC, tho, and I've got other, better games to play.  

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Passes 1M Preorders; Preloads Underway?
3. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Passes 1M Preorders; Preloads Underway? May 11, 2015, 19:20 HoSpanky

How many of those were freebies that came with video cards? Mine certainly is.

That said, I'm pretty damn excited to check it out, altho if it follows history, it'll be a buggy disaster for a while, and then they'll put out The Patch To End Them All and it'll be the amazing game it was supposed to be. I'm hoping they've learned from the previous two games and it'll be as impressive of a launch as GTAV managed, but...I'm also realistic.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 11, 2015, 11:32 HoSpanky

Seriously, 1badmf...just got a 970 and I'm eyeing a second one, DESPITE the issues I had with SLI just a few weeks prior. It's a horrible addiction.  

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Crusader Revealed
1. Re: Heroes of the Storm Crusader Revealed May 9, 2015, 13:10 HoSpanky

Well now, they certainly snuck a horrific/hilarious skin in there for Stitches.

Also, Billie is already in the game, so that "new mount" is a surprisingly halfass re-texture.

News Comments > GeForce Witcher 3 & Arkham Bundles
9. Re: GeForce Witcher 3 & Arkham Bundles May 6, 2015, 07:18 HoSpanky

Nuhauser wrote on May 6, 2015, 01:43:
HoSpanky wrote on May 5, 2015, 20:42:
Have had 3 games recently that freaked out from SLI, which is why I switched to a faster single card.

What cards were you running in SLI? I've been wanting to do SLI for many years, thinking it might be worth it with the rig I have now.

Yeah, I went SLI just to try it out, because ZOMG all that power!

I had a pair of 760s. Sold one to a friend for next to nothing, the other went in my girlfriend's machine to replace a struggling 260. Again, the single 970 is NOT as fast as the combined 760s, but since I'd have to disable one of the cards ANYWAY to get some games to work, it seemed to be a better move. First time I've willingly taken a step down in system power.

796 Comments. 40 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo