Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 852 (Graduate)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Jul 2, 2015, 13:54 HoSpanky

Well, a huge portion of the game world is clearly there for multiplayer. I never had a reason to visit the wind farm in single player, but then they have you race jets at insanely low altitude through it in multi.

The single player story was a blast, but the fun hits a fast stop after the story ends. I think they assume you'll spend your exploring time in multi, except for the collectables.

nin, what problem are you having with it?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Player Bans/XP Boost
6. Re: Heroes of the Storm Player Bans/XP Boost Jul 2, 2015, 13:47 HoSpanky

Another bonus XP weekend? Awwww YISSS!

Frijoles wrote on Jul 2, 2015, 13:04:
There's a chat? Here's the typical chat I see:

Player1> Hello!
[20 minutes pass]
Player1> gg
Player2> gg

Then again, I play co-op against bots.

Haha, yeah, I'd say maybe one in 20-30 games against bots will someone say anything, and it's usually because we've got an empty lane. I still play a few rounds every couple days, despite being in the Alpha. The short round time makes it easy to knock out a daily or two without eating up my whole evening. Still running Kerrigan or Anub'arak almost exclusively, haven't found any other heroes that can wreck shop like them...especially Kerrigan.

News Comments > Kotaku Sources: WBIE Knew of Batman: Arkham Knight Problems
9. Re: Kotaku Sources: WBIE Knew of Batman: Arkham Knight Problems Jul 1, 2015, 14:06 HoSpanky

Almost a year ago...

That's against the "two month port job" quote from before. One of them is clearly a lie.

Stop worrying. Get your refund and see if they right the ship. Meanwhile, fire up terraria again and get lost in its absurdly huge content expansion.

News Comments > Dead or Alive 5: Last Round PC PvP Features Still Missing
2. Re: Dead or Alive 5: Last Round PC PvP Features Still Missing Jul 1, 2015, 10:56 HoSpanky

More proof that Japanese companies need to hire help for PC ports.

What I don't understand is: what do they develop games on if not PCs? Why is a PC version of a game so hard to make when it's literally the only place they can assemble the game in the first place? This is a distinctly Japanese issue (AK being a recent exception), and feels like they refuse to do anything other than stumble blindly through the process. They even have the balls to put a premium price on it.

News Comments > Terraria Patched
15. Re: Terraria Patched Jul 1, 2015, 09:23 HoSpanky

While this makes the game all new AGAIN, I'd rather they spent their time on a sequel. I'd rather have all new content to explore than have to hunt through stuff I've seen for an embarrassing number of hours already.

That said, this game is, indeed, one of the best bang-for-buck deals available.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2015, 11:26 HoSpanky

At the end of your "project", don't mistake the amazing films you just saw as representative of the Hobbit trilogy. It's painfully inferior, packed with obvious time-fillers that add nothing to the story.

Like Star Wars, it's best to pretend the original trilogy is all that was made.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Patched; Progress Report
9. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Patched; Progress Report Jun 28, 2015, 14:06 HoSpanky

Overon, a lot of us got it as a pack-in with our video cards. I'd probably have already pushed a refund through if I hadn't. Waiting it out is my only option, and I'm OK with that. I'm not HAPPY that this happened, but Rocksteady seems pretty serious about getting it back on track and just as fantastic as their first two batman games. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, and revisit it in a month or so.

This is very much a First World Problem, and I've realized that I must live a wonderful life if I even have the TIME to get mad about a game not working right.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
5. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 28, 2015, 13:44 HoSpanky

We run a private server, as "everything you have has been stolen and you're dead" every time we'd log into a pvp server got old super fast. That mode is probably loads of fun for people who can play regularly.

On our server, we have the Dino difficulty turned up so that there's still plenty to fear when you wander into the trees for some lumber. Hearing something bellow and then come crashing through the trees is ALWAYS terrifying. Last night a Carnosaur did that to me, and there's NO hope of outrunning them. I just ran toward an area that my loot bag wouldn't be hard to find later, got eaten, then came back with a posse of Dilos (the spitting thing from Jurassic Park). They surrounded it and made quick work of him.

Also, our new forward base has apparently been approved by the local Bronto population as a top notch, "A++ Would Poop Again" toilet, as they parade through it dropping deuces everywhere. We're afraid to attack them as they're likely to smash the entire fort to the ground.

It's a different sort of game, but it runs great, and is pretty stable. Glad to see its selling decently, it's not bug-riddled like a lot of these EA survival titles, at least not in any horribly detrimental way. I don't tend to go for EA but my buddies picked it up, so I did, and I don't even remotely regret it.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Patched; Progress Report
5. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Patched; Progress Report Jun 28, 2015, 12:13 HoSpanky

Half-Elf: is it reasonably playable already? I plan to just pretend it hasn't come out yet for about a month, or until I see a "we got it to behave!" post. Their PLAN sounds great, and now that Rocksteady is doing the work, I don't doubt they'll succeed.  

News Comments > GeForce Driver Hotfix
4. Re: GeForce Driver Hotfix Jun 27, 2015, 13:00 HoSpanky

Timmeh wrote on Jun 27, 2015, 10:43:
WTF Nvidiots of Bluesnews.. this *never* happens!

Oh, it happens. But again, games generally run better on Nvidia cards. That's why I use them.

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Analysis
14. Re: Steam Summer Sale Analysis Jun 26, 2015, 14:07 HoSpanky

ARK is feature-complete enough, and stable enough, that if they never finish it, I'll be happy with what they've got out now. Except that's not what's happening; there's at least a patch a day (making running a server a pain in the ass). They're adding content at a nearly impossible pace, fixing weird issues and adding community-requested features all over the place. The only thing wrong so far is framerate, it requires some pretty beefy hardware to run KIND OF smoothly. You won't get 60/1080p out of it no matter what you throw at it, but you can probably squeeze 40 out. Unlike most EA games, you can SEE where the performance went.

Anyway, point is, it's earning that 10million. It's a fun, if slower paced, game to play with your friends. Planning excursions to start at dawn so you can get back safely before night, with a few resource-laden dinos in tow, is a neat change of pace. Night still comes on too fast, by the time the sun looks like it's setting, you have approximately 30 seconds before nightfall. You do NOT want to be out at night, as you can EITHER carry a torch, or a weapon. Not like a weapon's going to help when you hear trees falling and a bellow...those moments are truly terrifying and awesome. We have our own PvE server going, as the douchebaggery going on the public pvp servers is more than we want to deal with. The various dinos are providing JUST the right amount of failure-to-success for an enjoyable way to spend an evening.

News Comments > Arkham Knight PC Fixes Prioritized
27. Re: Arkham Knight PC Fixes Prioritized Jun 26, 2015, 13:46 HoSpanky

If Rocksteady themselves are going to be working on fixing AK, there's hope. It's quite possible they'll sort out what's causing the hitching rather quickly, as they're the ones who wrote the base code. From how this all shook out, this is how I see it happened:

1: Rocksteady delays the game to get it right.
2: Late into optimizing for consoles, they realize they're not going to have time to optimize the PC version in time for release.
3: WB contracts a dev that has seen the engine before, in hopes of pulling off a Hail Mary and deliver the PC version on time, since the Nvidia bundles were already in the wild.
4: Turns out it's a bigger thing to tackle than they expected, and they barely manage to make it run at all.

WB has made all the right moves here that they could. I think this was them trying not to have to delay the game a second time (for PC at least). Taking the game off the store, despite it technically working, was a financial disaster for them. Rocksteady is now available to get it running right, and if they DO manage that, I'll have a hard time being mad about it. Get your refunds, and consider it as a "delayed release" like most console/PC games do, except this time the release date is probably going to be a surprise.

Rocksteady are rightfully proud of the Arkham games, and I doubt they'll let their final game in the series have a permanent stain. Let's just wait and see what they do. It's not like there aren't PLENTY of other great games to eat our time lately. I'm still just trying to FIND Ciri in W3, HOTS still has a death grip on an hour or two almost every day, and I'm still finding amusement in GTA Online.

Enhance your calm, John Spartans. Everything is going to be ok.

News Comments > More Arkham Knight Issues; GMG on Possible Refunds
2. Re: More Arkham Knight Issues; GMG on Possible Refunds Jun 24, 2015, 17:29 HoSpanky

OK, so I'm not sure if this will help everyone, but if SOME people got it to work right...something ELSE is up. I found a few posts saying the pre-load copy doesn't work right, so I dumped the entire thing and reloaded it. For the few minutes I tested it, it runs far, far better. That's after changing the max framerate to 60 and dumping those annoying-as-hell intro logos. I can get on top of a building and spin around and it doesn't stutter.

I'm running a system that's almost an identical twin to Agent.x7's, so it may just be a combination of a bad pre-load PLUS absurd hardware (at 1080p). I do NOT have the gameworks stuff turned on, will fiddle with that after seeing if it runs OK as is.

News Comments > New Evolve Hunter Ushers in Price Cuts
2. Re: New Evolve Hunter Ushers in Price Cuts Jun 24, 2015, 09:20 HoSpanky

Just curious, did ANYONE on here buy this game? I know zero people who bought it. Not ONE person on my Steam friends list has it.  

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Performance Update
4. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Performance Update Jun 24, 2015, 09:17 HoSpanky

Wait, so the game runs EVEN WORSE on mechanical hard drives? the stuttering is a streaming issue?

"Despite having a machine MONSTROUSLY more powerful than a PS4, you should turn all your settings to the lowest possible option." Ah, nosir, that's not an acceptable response. They couldn't possibly have even TRIED playing the game with any of the settings above Low and said "oh yeah, that's great!"

I've also read that if you pre-loaded the game, it runs far, far worse. I'm currently re-downloading it to see if that makes any difference whatsoever.

Also, I WILL say...I tried changing the textures from Normal to Low, and noticed....nothing change. I even stood near an intricately detailed wall to see if I could tell a difference. Maybe it affects the detail level of textures in the distance?

News Comments > Fallout 4 Unfettered on PCs
31. Re: Fallout 4 Unfettered on PCs Jun 23, 2015, 09:11 HoSpanky

Creston wrote on Jun 22, 2015, 14:54:
As for the 30fps, I don't think it matters much in a game like FO4. It's not going to be a twitch shooter. Forza Horizons 2 runs at 30fps, and it feels smooth as butter. I don't doubt that FO4 would feel the same way.

MMM, I dunno. Black Flag on Xbone runs at 30 FPS as well, and FEELS like it. FH2 runs on voodoo magic, if you weren't TOLD it runs at 30 FPS....you'd think it was going at 60.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Specs Updated; AMD Issues Noted
15. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Specs Updated; AMD Issues Noted Jun 22, 2015, 17:36 HoSpanky

It's strange to see people angry at Nvidia because their AMD card, predictably, doesn't work right in a game for the first couple weeks or more. Nobody is forcing you to keep using that card. And AMD's video card problems existed from when they were called ATI, so you can't feign ignorance.

I'm all for rooting for the underdog, but AMD has had YEARS to stop this shit and they continue to make horrible drivers. The card could be 8x more powerful than a Titan Z and it wouldn't matter if it can't run anything correctly. You're literally defending a company that willfully refuses to succeed.

News Comments > LEGO Minifigures Online Re-launches Next Week
1. Re: LEGO Minifigures Online Re-launches Next Week Jun 22, 2015, 10:03 HoSpanky

I'm assuming the game being KidSafe means you can't build anything. Because the first thing people would build is a dick. It's what killed Lego Worlds.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
3. Re: Game Reviews Jun 21, 2015, 12:40 HoSpanky

I'm seeing that reviews don't want to spoil plot points, which means I need to stop reading reviews before one reviewer decides to spoil the best moments.  

News Comments > etc.
15. Re: etc. Jun 21, 2015, 10:22 HoSpanky

I bought Nidhogg, which is weird but fun. Ugly as sin, though. I'm a-ok with pixel art but "art" doesn't describe Nidhogg.  

852 Comments. 43 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo