Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 682 (Apprentice)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2014, 11:26 HoSpanky

Halloween, or Gencon attendees on their way back home?  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evolve is Big Gamescom Winner
12. Re: Evolve is Big Gamescom Winner Aug 16, 2014, 15:55 HoSpanky

This isnt the first "lots versus one big guy" game. Giants: Citizen Kabuto has two teams building bases while a single player runs around as Kabuto, basically being a dick to both teams. Unfortunately one of the two base-building factions has an absurdly effective way to take out Kabuto, and they can also steal base builders (which are limited in number on the map), which there is no way for the other side to recover them. It's broken, but came out back when multiplayer was for fun only.

Get some friends together to play it. It's not a super pretty game anymore, but the multiplayer is one of a kind. Name another game where you gather the resources and research the ability to build a three person gyrocopter, which you joyfully fly out over your base, and as you look down, a giant blue gorilla throws a two-legged sheep at you. Or maybe you JUST get your force field wall up around your base, and that giant blue gorilla jumps over it and does a belly flop right on your weapons factory. Then he eats one of your teammates, snatches YOU up, and impales you on a horn as a snack for later. Despite the flaws, it's incredibly fun.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
1. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Aug 16, 2014, 12:53 HoSpanky

There's a director who knows no major labels will pick her up, so she doesn't have to say what they tell her to.

Haven't seen any of her movies, but I'll be watching a couple of em in the next week.

News Comments > AMD Catalyst Beta Drops Win 8.0 Support
3. Re: RE: Follow up Aug 16, 2014, 12:18 HoSpanky

You should just upgrade to Windows 7 instead.  

News Comments > Another The Crew Beta This Month
10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2014, 07:43 HoSpanky

The Run is broken up into pieces, there's no open-world about it. It's a set of races that they tell you are chained together as a cross- country drive.

Hot Pursuit has an open "world" option, but it's smaller than Burnout Paradise.

The largest open world I've seen in a game was FUEL, but only the hand made sections were fun to drive. The procedurally generated areas were always ridiculously windy roads, no fun to drive on because you NEVER got out of third gear.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 8, 2014, 13:11 HoSpanky

I'm blown away by how much money was burned on games that...just didn't sell. And he's getting back up for a third time to try again. Archmage rises doesn't look to be my kind of game, I have an aversion to turn-based games. Not sure why. But I hope it sells well.
I wouldn't be surprised if he got a small, short surge of sales on his other two games (is the storybook actually a game?) due to this article. Nothing that would justify their creation costs, but maybe a small chunk that could be funneled into Archmage.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
17. Re: Saturday Metaverse Aug 3, 2014, 00:36 HoSpanky

This sort of site very much appeals to horrible kids who have no rage filter. Opting to NOT use that site doesn't help; it simply blindsides that kid even more. Why is everyone pointing and snickering at me? Eventually that kid finds out someone said he/she "loves taking it up the ass, and makes out with her mother!". Adults find that ridiculous, but school kids eat it up, thy WANT to believe someone who is already socially awkward is a terrible sexual deviant, or is physically misshapen "I saw it in the gym shower!". Social status is EVERYTHING to kids. There is literally nothing higher on their priority list. Graduating/college/work isn't even on the radar. Long term consequences don't matter.

With no "source", a site like that means they can post absurd things on there and not worry about any repercussions. It's a Mean Girl wet dream.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
7. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 2, 2014, 12:32 HoSpanky

Despite the terrible "spend more money" pressure in Forza Horizon (360), the game was fan-fucking-tastic. The sequel is basically forcing me to get an Xbone. I've learned my lesson on other racing games as well: if I want a decent sized online community, I have to buy the console version. Codemasters games on pc rarely have any players after a couple months. I was in that minority that enjoyed Grid2's drift-happy feel, mostly because OH GOD BRING BACK PGR, MICROSOFT!

Also why I think Forza Horizon is amazing...the studio making it is comprised of PGR, DiRT and Forza devs. It never, ever drops a frame, making the 30fps lock not feel like the anchor it normally does. Doesn't matter how insane the racing gets, cars will be flipping thru the air, kicking up clouds of dust and it'll hold onto 30 fps like a bulldog. In less intense scenes, the game burns spare cycles running multiple AA techniques. If you stop moving, you can watch the game clean up the surroundings. The handling is great, not heavily simmy (altho you can turn off all assists to get Forza-level Sim handling), and never completely arcadey. I completely expect the same from the sequel, and if it gets the same reviews as the first, it'll be what makes me buy an Xbone.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 31, 2014, 13:32 HoSpanky

The Comcast article is infuriating.

The "surprise" install charge is likely due to the customer wanting new lines, and "I don't want wires on the outside of my house". Well, around the outside is commonly the easiest way. You want somehing done the hard way, it stops being free. People hear "free installation" and think their entire house is getting rewired, inside the walls, or whatever other stupid ideas they have, and they won't get billed for it. I routinely get customers who want Ethernet lines run everywhere for computers and game systems, and they don't understand why that isn't free with their modem installation.

Stealing his tools was bad enough, but threatening someone's LIFE over cable tv? Insanity. I don't believe for a second that she pointed the gun in the air, no one does that. I have no idea how she thought that would go well for her, if she was even thinking at all.

No, I don't work for Comcast, btw.

News Comments > GTA4 iCEnhancer Mod Author Taking a Break
4. Re: GTA4 iCEnhancer Mod Author Taking a Break Jul 28, 2014, 10:45 HoSpanky

Glad I looked here first. I was going to grab the mod because I thought it was a compilation mod that does a full overhaul, assembled out of several different ones.

Oh well. That's alright, I'll wait for gta5 at this point.

News Comments > Op Ed
30. Re: Op Ed Jul 24, 2014, 08:36 HoSpanky

It never once mentions "oh by the way, your pc does a LOT of things other than gaming, so the added cost is diffused there". Granted, most people don't start with a tower, they have a laptop or tablet, so they're basically screwed if it can't run the games they want. Building a pc the first time is daunting, and if you're doing it on the cheap, something WILL probably go wrong with it in the first 6 months ("my $15 1000 watt PSU stopped working!").
Console gaming is just plain more accessible. Was at a customer's house yesterday who was having a hell of a time setting up an Xbox 360. That woman wasn't ABOUT to consider building a gaming computer.

PC gaming looks better but is more difficult and costly, if you start from scratch.

It's a clickbait article, for sure. At least each "reason" wasn't on its own page.

Stupid Xbone. Was all set to ignore the new consoles, then Forza Horizon 2 gets announced. Also buying The Club on Xbone. I know it's coming to pc but every pc racing game I've bought is a ghost town a month after release.

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 10:14 HoSpanky

I absolutely believe women in the gaming industry get more abuse than men, with the exception of Phil Fish.

And I'm willing to bet the EXACT SAME people who toss these comments ALSO wonder why they can't find a girlfriend, or complain that their girlfriend won't play games with them.

If you don't think women get any more abuse than men, you're delusional. While people will say horrible shit during a gaming match, they don't go hunting those people down, sending them rape threats for months/years after. No one does that shit to males, or if they do, it's incredibly rare.

My girlfriend plays as male characters in MMOs to avoid the constant flow of "are you really a girl? OMG marry me I love MMOs and you're a girl that plays them!"...and then the stream of abuse that follows when she obviously turns down their completely sensible offer.

Seriously, shit like this actually makes me want the Internet to not allow anonymity. Which makes me feel like I'm going insane, but there it is.

News Comments > Hearthstone Maintenance Now; Naxxramas Launches Later
8. Re: Hearthstone Maintenance Now; Naxxramas Launches Later Jul 22, 2014, 15:00 HoSpanky

Uggh, only 3 fights in Naxx, but the first one is kicking my ass anyway. The cards he can summon are ridiculous, and are super low-cost so he piles up minions with all KINDS of detrimental effects within a few turns.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 22, 2014, 11:47 HoSpanky

Meh, I was expecting more than a sticker kit on those "customized" Xbones. Thought it was gonna be a showing of people's various personalized mods.  

News Comments > Terraria OS X and Linux Ports, Maybe
1. Re: Terraria OS X and Linux Ports, Maybe Jul 14, 2014, 19:21 HoSpanky

Oh god, not more reasons for me to play Terraria again?

I can't believe they aren't just working on a sequel. While it's literally the best $2.50 I've spent on a game, I'd rather have an all new game from them to explore than having to fire up yet another generated world just to see some new stuff here and there.

News Comments > Battleborn Impressions
2. Re: Battleborn Impressions Jul 12, 2014, 13:26 HoSpanky

Sounds like Super Monday Night Combat, which is a hoot but has fairly bland environments. It easily makes up for them with ridiculous commentators and very expressive characters. Wouldn't complain about another game in that style, and this looks to be it.  

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jul 10, 2014, 19:45 HoSpanky

while I think the potato salad thing was funny, and modest ($10 goal!), and the insanity of it currently sitting at $45k, I know that there will be THOUSANDS of copycats. "I want to make a bowl full of cereal" and "homemade soup!" will undoubtedly be all that you see on Kickstarter for the next couple months. There's no end to the number of people who would like the internet to pay for a year of their bills.  

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Jul 7, 2014, 22:35 HoSpanky

Right, so what's this then? A storefront that felt it was so goddamn indie that it didn't need to advertise its existence went under?

YOU DON'T SAY.

News Comments > Alien Isolation for Oculus Rift Only a Prototype
3. Re: Alien Isolation for Oculus Rift Only a Prototype Jul 7, 2014, 22:32 HoSpanky

Quite likely that, like Colonial Marines, SEGA is refusing to allow this game to look drastically better on one platform over another. For all we know, it's a mandate for making Alien franchise games from the rights holder.

Or an attempt to get some funding from Oculus, but that won't happen if the game comes out before the OR....which seems likely, since they sure as fuck have no intention of releasing it in our lifetimes. They keep hiring more people, and pushing the release time frame back further.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
1. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jul 6, 2014, 09:30 HoSpanky

So I need to start memorizing which sites are "optimized" to be unreadable on my phone. This Phoronix site is one of them. Two popover ads, one of which is removable, the other refuses to ever move.

Betanews doesn't do ads, but it puts an annoying pair of bars for site navigation over the top and bottom of the screen, giving me 3 lines of readable text at a time. I'd rather just not read the damn thing. Who sets these up and says "yeah, that's TOTALLY not a crazy annoying design that will drive readers away"? As soon as I see a link goes to betanews I just back out of it. Not worth reading.

Can't recall which site does it, but one of them pops up a "if you liked this, read these articles" thing when I get to the bottom of their site. That'd be all fine and dandy if it didn't cover the last 3-4 lines of text on the article I was finishing. Can't scroll back up and get rid of it, either. Apparently actually field-testing things is too much effort for these sites.

682 Comments. 35 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo