Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Aree

Real Name Aree   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HoSpanky
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description argle befu jodl garf!
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 21:02
Total Comments 912 (Graduate)
User ID 15603

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Interim Patch
16. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Interim Patch Sep 4, 2015, 15:33 HoSpanky

Creston wrote on Sep 4, 2015, 15:00:

By that logic, just as long as a publisher is willing to patch something, we should never complain at the state that something is launched.

Sorry, but that doesn't fly.

They pulled the game out of stores, physical and digital. That's not just "willing to patch it". You'll never see EA pull a Battlefield game, and those are always a disaster at launch. Batman isn't back on Steam, the current patch is an interim for those who still want to play the game anyway.

Also, Half-Elf, it won't be terribly surprising if the game will always need 4gb of video memory to run at max settings. As more games are made to use the 8gb that consoles have, more games will need 4gb or more on PC to use everything at max.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Interim Patch
12. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Interim Patch Sep 4, 2015, 14:39 HoSpanky

Well, to be fair, it's SOME Nvidia cards, not all. And do they mean 8GB OR MORE, or LESS, or just exactly 8? Because that WILL lower the number of people with that setup.

I'm just glad they didn't abandon it, saying "well it was free!" for the people with Nvidia bundles, and giving refunds to the others and then shelving it. They're putting an awful lot of work into it. Should it have been done this way already? Of course. Being mad that they're righting the ship is like making fun of the fat guy at the gym. They know they made mistakes, but now they're fixing them. It takes time. I'd love to be playing this game, but I'm ok with waiting until it's done before doing so.

WB is keenly aware that people will avoid other games with their brand on PC until those games are proven to work. This mistake cost them an astounding amount of money and goodwill, especially for Rocksteady.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
1. Re: Hardware Reviews Sep 4, 2015, 12:09 HoSpanky

Every time I see these 970 motherboards, I think AMD has heard that people are told to get a 970 if they want a good price/performance for games, so they made a 970 chipset to fool people into buying AMD.  

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Eternal Conflict Ending
1. Re: Heroes of the Storm Eternal Conflict Ending Sep 3, 2015, 20:06 HoSpanky

So basically, kill all the treasure goblins you can, if you want that badge!  

News Comments > Leaked Beta Arkham Knight Patch Shows Improvements
4. Re: Leaked Beta Arkham Knight Patch Shows Improvements Sep 3, 2015, 11:51 HoSpanky

Unfortunately, Steam's community pages don't load properly on an iPhone, so all I see is one guy with a 670 complaining that it runs poorly at 1440p, despite acknowledging his card is memory starved. He then continues to complain because he doesn't want to replace his card and thinks games should run with everything maxed out just fine, so it's basically a worthless post.

I'm excited for it to show up, I'd love to finally play it.

News Comments > Torchlight Burns Out Runic
13. Re: Torchlight Burns Out Runic Sep 1, 2015, 12:03 HoSpanky

My girlfriend and I played the shit out of TL2, right up to the...I think the third act. Then something else came along and we forgot about it.

I sent her a text about it so it stays on the front burner. It's still installed, we should at least finish the game.

News Comments > etc.
2. The Only Goal Sep 1, 2015, 10:48 HoSpanky

Ugh, seriously, isn't this ONE thing her entire argument? What does she think she's saying in this that's different from EVERY other video she posts. She doesn't like the objectifying of women.

Good luck changing the entire goal of the male gender. We fight, strive for better-paying positions, and go to the gym for one reason: to get laid. In middle/high school, it's laid out bare: boys fight to establish dominance, because in our minds, that'll get us the best girl. As we get older, we can control the urges (although when drunk, base instinct rears its head).

We want a higher paying job because the money will buy us things that we think will attract a mate. Affluence ALONE attracts women, this is proven on a daily basis. Women are driven by a need for stability, and whether or not they want to admit it, it's because it's a better environment to raise a child in.

So really, the ONLY reward worth risking our lives over...is sex. It's why sex is used quite effectively in advertising, and why the assumption of sex (from "getting the girl") in games is the only "reward" that makes sense.

"You should ignore these vile, base instincts that make up your entire life!", Anita says. OK, lady. When your body says "it's baby making time!" and it dominates your every thought, re-visit this. Because from the moment we hit puberty, our brain tells us with the EXACT SAME URGENCY that we need to have sex. And for most men, it never, EVER stops for the rest of our lives. Society demands that we spend most of our time distracting ourselves from this impetus, which we willingly do...BECAUSE IT RAISES OUR CHANCES OF GETTING LAID.

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
4. Re: Sunday Interviews Aug 30, 2015, 15:56 HoSpanky

Notch...*sigh*

Move to Hawaii, which has notoriously shitty schools. Start an after school technology class, have them learn to build a desktop (and know what the components are), maybe even offer a programming class. That's honestly my plan if, somehow, I end up with an awful lot of money. It'd fill that "I'm not doing anything anymore" hole, and likely be rewarding. Since it's optional, only kids who'd WANT to go would.

I have a friend who's a trust fund baby. Won't ever *have* to work. He's a butcher at a local supermarket because it keeps him sociable and gives him purpose.

News Comments > HTC RE Vive VR Headsets Delayed
4. Re: HTC RE Vive VR Headsets Delayed Aug 28, 2015, 10:20 HoSpanky

My primary concern with all of these VR headsets coming out isn't resolution/refresh rate. Those things will constantly improve over time. The first headsets need to be sure to NOT cause motion sickness, that's the absolute most important part. Make someone sick once, they'll never use it again and they'll warn their friends against it. So the resolution is lower than we'd want, because it has to work on less-than-stellar video cards to sell enough to gain traction.

But none of that is really news. What no one seems to be talking about is interoperability. With what...5 different headsets coming out, is there a standard for the interface? Or will SOME games work with the Valve headset, and a completely different set of games with with the Rift, and ANOTHER set only works with the Razer headset...

I see it like when 3D accelerators first came out. Sure, 3DFX cards were the king of the hill, but for a while there, SOME games had a 3DFX patch, and others had PowerVR patches, but very rarely did one game have both. There were other contenders as well, and it made for a splintered market. DirectX came along and solved all that, making it a godsend...it just required people to run their games in windows, not DOS. I didn't like the overhead windows added, but the benefits of directX could not be denied.

Currently, I sincerely doubt these headset makers are agreeing on a standard. They're all funding different projects so they can brag about having a must-have game ONLY in VR on THEIR headset. Because they're only interested in selling THEIR headset, NOT the sustainability of VR as a standard.

Does anyone recall seeing a single article about compatability? Not a rhetorical question, I'm seriously hoping I somehow have missed that happening.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Sells 6M
9. Re: The Witcher 3 Sells 6M Aug 27, 2015, 11:11 HoSpanky

I'm still so, so far from the end. The game is ridiculously huge, I know what the "halfway point" is, and I'm not there. It's almost too long of a game, I play it in spurts...might play for 8 hours straight, then not touch it for a few weeks. The amount of dialogue is staggering, although it still feels weird when Geralt says shit out loud that no one would (so the player understands what he's seeing from clues).

Great game, got it free with my video card but gladly would have paid for it. Do the sales represent copies that came with cards?

News Comments > New Heroes of the Storm Map Today
2. Re: New Heroes of the Storm Map Today Aug 26, 2015, 09:36 HoSpanky

And that, InBlack, is precisely why I don't play HOTS solo. Bring a friend or two along and pick complimentary heroes. You get extra XP and a far less frustrating experience.  

News Comments > On Trine 3's Length and Future
5. Re: On Trine 3's Length and Future Aug 22, 2015, 15:57 HoSpanky

Gotta agree with jdreyer, these guys have enough goodwill with me that I'll buy this one anyway. game length isn't always a bragging point for me, I'm not sure I'll ever finish Witcher 3.  

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Aug 21, 2015, 18:43 HoSpanky

Oh god, what can I save 25% on? The suspense is killing me!  

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight PC Patch in Testing
8. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight PC Patch in Testing Aug 21, 2015, 11:09 HoSpanky

I've played about 20 minutes of the game, and then decided to just wait it out for the patch. I've got plenty of other games to occupy my time.  

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm BoE Map Pulled; Gold Refunds Going Out
2. Re: Heroes of the Storm BoE Map Pulled; Gold Refunds Going Out Aug 21, 2015, 11:04 HoSpanky

Most of my friends don't like playing against real people, so we run versus AI, which has been far too easy lately. The option to increase difficulty is quite welcome, although at the Veteran and especially Elite levels, the computer has absurd advantages. For instance, knowing where you're heading and magically showing up there with 3 heroes, and firing off Ultimates like they had no cooldown timer. Non-bullshit things include "not running around without backup" and "proper use of stun combos". They're annoying, but it's precisely how you're SUPPOSED to play. Quite a surprise the first time they do it though.  

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Aug 21, 2015, 09:32 HoSpanky

Critter Crunch is way, WAY higher quality than it needs to be. Well worth picking up, even has local and online co-op.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 20, 2015, 09:22 HoSpanky

Same here.

I'd REALLY like to see LG ship a g-sync monitor, but that's not gonna happen, so the PG279Q is pretty much as good as it's gonna get...whenever they get around to shipping them.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Mod Tool Backlash
4. Re: The Witcher 3 Mod Tool Backlash Aug 16, 2015, 15:31 HoSpanky

GoG puts it on sale quite often. Never used CDkeys.

The game is massive, and wonderfully well done, and people are complaining that the mod tools aren't awesome enough. It's amazing how entitled people are. While I'd like to see what modders come up with, it's usually just reskins. At this point on games, making a texture replacement pack is kind of pointless, and assembling even a 5-minute adventure that's at the same quality level would take modders a terrifying amount of time.

And if it's NOT the same quality level as the base game, it's not worth wasting your time on, is it?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Double burrito Aug 16, 2015, 13:38 HoSpanky

The burrito one is stupid. If all you want is "maximum possible quantity", then sure, that method works. SOME corn is more than NO corn? You don't say!

The reasoning is simple: they don't know what all you'll order so they put the "normal" amount of each item in as you ask for it. There's no "trick" here. Do you want a huge burrito that's made of several things you don't want? If you already like all of their bean/rice/veggies, you're already getting the larger burrito and you will gain nothing from following his "tips".

News Comments > TY the Tasmanian Tiger 4 Next Month
2. Re: TY the Tasmanian Tiger 4 Next Month Aug 15, 2015, 21:37 HoSpanky

saluk wrote on Aug 15, 2015, 12:42:
Thank goodness this is coming back, and to the PC!

Wait, what is this?

It appears to be a crappy flash game disguised as a retail product.

912 Comments. 46 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo