Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Maarten

Real Name Maarten   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MacD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 23, 2002, 01:34
Total Comments 1063 (Pro)
User ID 15594

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > PC Gamer UK: Dragon Age "RPG of the Decade"
66. two acronyms: NWN OC. Oct 27, 2009, 20:17 MacD

But he is right:

Stupid AI

true; there hasn't been a bioware game where you couldn't either catch the AI into a loop (of either pathfinding itself through a log and thus not moving forwards or checking for a new path, or into a loop of doing nothing) or snipe them from a distance without any consequences.

sterile, non-interactive environments

I love the Bioware environments, overall. Especially KotOR. However, sterile does apply to all Mako missions in ME. But the environments all had NOTHING going on in them. No rivers, or dams (which get blown up or something to create a new environment), or even drawbridges you could raise or lower. The closest Bioware ever came to an interactive environment was it's elevators in ME (which REALLY should NOT have taken so long on the pc) and entering your ship (again in ME ... and why the fuck was that not seamless?). The world you walk through in bioware games might be pretty, but it never does anything.

non-interactive NPCs who are completely oblivious to your existence

This one doesn't really bother me, but it's not untrue.

same old character archetypes for your party members?

Oh. God. This. The one you turn into a pacifst way of life even if s/he comes from a violent society. The thinker, the witch(psionic/whatever), the cracking-up military person.... ever since Boo they haven't been able to do this right. The closest we got was HK-47, who wasn't even that funny, just the best of a bad bunch.

Anyway, DA:O has too much paid for hype. If it truly were good, they wouldn't have to pay for it like they undeniably are. Everone remember the hype for NWN? Anyone remeber the OC of NWN? Yeah.

-edit for spelling-

This comment was edited on Oct 27, 2009, 21:22.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Borderlands' Firm Street Dates
137. That argument doesn't hold. Oct 26, 2009, 09:16 MacD

The US version is out. It has now been cracked and is widely available. I'd go buy the game instore right now...except I'm not in the US, so I wouldn't be able to play my legal copy. It'll take another 4 days for me to be able to play it.

Or I could pirate it and plug in my retail code in four days.

DRM/anti-piracy measures DO NOT WORK. Well, they do, BUT ONLY AGAINST PAYING CUSTOMERS. It increases the cost of the product and only hits those who actually have given you their money. It's beyond stupid.

News Comments > Borderlands' Firm Street Dates
136. The reason to release on monday: Oct 26, 2009, 09:08 MacD

It's very simple: if you release a game on monday, you have all workweek to work on fixes and a patch. Releasing on friday means that your players are SOL all through the weekend unless you splurge on overtime and keep your poor, crunch-time-sleep-deprived devs in for work over the weekend.

So whilst releasing on friday would be nice for you, it's kinda studpi to do that from a dev's perspective. And expensive to boot.

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Leaked Trailer
58. Re: to those complaing about QTE'S Sep 20, 2009, 14:32 MacD

Er...didn't the witcher have that? Blocking, quick/med/strong attack styles, at any rate. Parry...can't remember if it had that, but it did have traps, magic and elixers.

What I liked about the witcher's combat was that although combo's were QTE dependant, combat itself was not: it was 'physics' based as in it was dependant on where you were and the slicing circle of your sword, so your agility/movement was a factor.

57. Re: The Witcher 2 Leaked Trailer Sep 20, 2009, 14:01 MacD

Wow. I hadn't realised that the US had gone that far down that hole...

Not saying anything, just observin'.

56. Re: The Witcher 2 Leaked Trailer Sep 20, 2009, 13:54 MacD

? What are you talking about? Did you not install the patch?  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Red Faction: Guerrilla
7. Wondering about the REAL sysreqs Sep 15, 2009, 12:53 MacD

I just wonder if I can play the game, albeit with some settings reduced. Eexcept draw distance! That shouldn't even be a setting, but always be maxed out...if there's one thing which draws me into a game it's vistas of the gameworld stretched out before me.

Thing is, I can play most games on my aging system, mostly because my old p4 2.8c, 512mb7800 and 2gigsoram is faster than a 360. But ports have become more and more sloppy recently, taking into account the speed increases better hardware on the pc side allow for sloppy optimisation. I can play Mass effect no problem, and Mirror's Edge just barely. I just wonder what the detruction system in RF:G will require.

So, anyone who gets this running on old system specs, let me know how you fare. I'm hoping better than the unplayable Mercenaries 2...

News Comments > Red Faction: Guerrilla PC Added Content
17. Re: Red Faction: Guerrilla PC Added Content Sep 4, 2009, 00:04 MacD

I'd say it's exactly that which merits at least checking the forums when this is released. The fact that Volition also thought the port sucked, so much so that they went to a different dev to port this shows that Volition in and of itself wants a good port.

That's not to say the port will or won't suck, but maybe Volition has a bit more knowledge now about how to farm out a port and what to look for in a porting dev.

At any rate, I thought what I heard/saw on RF:G was good enough that I'm gonna check the game out.

News Comments > Weisman: MS "Destroyed" FASA Dev Culture
106. Re: MS Aug 28, 2009, 12:41 MacD

No, maybe that is what is YOUR problem; we're not lawwyers, and thus not such hairsplitters. When the word bribe is used, it's pretty damn obvious what kind of behaviour is alluded to.

It's nowhere in the league of the conflation of piracy and copyright infringement.

'Bribe' perfectly illustrates the practice of getting a company to drop support for one platform in exchange for money, no matter if you want to call it a 'business transaction promoting enforced platform abstinance'.

104. Re: MS Aug 28, 2009, 12:35 MacD

And again, a case where Sony paid out big money for the privelige.

One interesting counterpoint, btw, is that all this was happening on the xbox. The ps2 had a much larger install base, but all this wasn't really going on there (appart from notable exceptions like GTA [RF2 doesn't even register, really]). MS paid mucho dinero to get their slice of the pie. Hell, xbox development was very unprofittable, from the hardware to the software. The MS console department didn't make a profit until, what, last year? And with the low install base of the original xbox, only million sellers made any profit there; your argument of 'that's where the money was' doesn't really hold out for the original xbox install base.

90. Re: MS Aug 28, 2009, 10:19 MacD

immorral != illegal is the point he's trying to make.

Paying Bungie NOT to make Halo available on the pc, purely in order to sell xboxes, paying companies to release exclusively on their own console, forcing devs to charge money for DLC which they wanted to give away for free (ask EPIC 'bout this one, among others)...all of this is using money to make companies do things they would ususally not do.

Money for a behaviour change...not illegal, but the word 'bribe' does seem to fit, especially since (according to the definitions given above) a bribe is illegal if applied to jurors or public servants, but not in business. Unless one is engaged in cartel-like-behaviour.

Point being: the word 'bribe' does fit the actions quite nicely here.

News Comments > DNF Footage?
40. Re: About these leaks... Part 2 May 11, 2009, 12:17 MacD

According to the last news, this is the result of 1.5 years, since last they changed engines.  

News Comments > AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAAlpa Demo
11. 10 posts and no-one tried the demo... May 10, 2009, 13:45 MacD

...that's really sad from any gaming forum, but especially bad for Blues'.  

News Comments > Fallout 3 Patches
21. Re: FO3 + mods + patch Apr 29, 2009, 21:17 MacD

He didn't say that: he implied (correctly) that the last pc geared game Bethesda realy made was Morrowind.  

News Comments > Street Fighter IV = GFWL
13. Re: Street Fighter IV = GFWL Apr 28, 2009, 19:31 MacD

One of the GFWL prerequisites is xbox360 gamepad compatibility.

Too bad 'actually being able to work and have the gamer play the game' isn't required.

News Comments > Street Fighter IV = GFWL
12. Re: Street Fighter IV = GFWL Apr 28, 2009, 19:30 MacD

Could be, but ever since Gears of War PC was infected with GFWL and broke it, G4WL = no sale for me.  

News Comments > On PC Battlefield 1943
13. Re: On PC Battlefield 1943 Apr 26, 2009, 16:00 MacD

*thudthudthud*

That's the sound of my head hitting my desk.

You can't have it two ways; you can't bitch about same-time releases with pc versions not having propper pc-UI AND bitch about a game being released later where the dev SPECIFICALLY says they're doing it to include a proper pc UI.

I am glad that these devs have decided the PC does indeed need it's own UI (something which is content independant anyway), and it probably meanss they're doing pc-centric gameplay testing too (goodbye console autoaim etc).

They're actually doing a pc pass...and people complain?

W.T.F..

News Comments > id the "Multiplatform Developer"
120. Re: id the Apr 13, 2009, 17:34 MacD

I know Riddick had the first use of normal maps (actually, come to think of it, Deus Ex2 was released 'round that time too, wasn't it?), but I didn't know it used dynamic lighting to that extent (or at all), did it?  

119. Re: id the Apr 13, 2009, 17:31 MacD

Quake4 was Raven, QW:ET was Splash Damage.

And I still hold that seeing as everyone (including you) is going to be looking closely at Rage, it means id is relevant.

If no-one were interested, or even had Rage on their radar, you would be correct and id would be irrelevant. That however is not the case.

id is relevant, QED.

118. Re: id the Apr 13, 2009, 17:26 MacD

I've mentioned this upthread too:

the whole gaming industry and many gamers are keeping their eyes peeled on what Rage will be and what it does.

Ergo id is relevant.

1063 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo