Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Shane

Real Name Shane   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Enahs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description gmail.com @ shanezsullivan
"You better take some vitamins and try harder."
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 13, 2002, 15:25
Total Comments 7856 (Guru)
User ID 15513

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. ransfer a secret audio message by poking someone with your finger. The wet-williegram. Sep 16, 2013, 10:16 Enahs

Re:ransfer a secret audio message by poking someone with your finger. The wet-williegram.

Wow, so using advanced technology somebody standing right next to me can hear me! Amazing!

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 16, 2013, 10:04 Enahs

I think she used equator in the commercial to refer to something exotic and hot, not that a small part of her mouth actually moved a long distance!  

- W. C. Fields

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
5. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 9, 2013, 12:41 Enahs

Ray Ban wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 05:04:
What is sport? What is art? What is life? What is an RPG?

Somethings are not possible to define, it would seem.
A port is an athletic competition. Not just a competition.

- W. C. Fields

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Transaction costs Sep 9, 2013, 10:53 Enahs

Creston wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 10:15:
Really? Microsoft spent what was it... 10 billion dollars? to counter the few hundred grand that goes with having to have some meetings and draw up some contracts?

And that's assuming you even believe the transaction cost theory in the first place (remember people, just because a Nobel Prize winner said something doesn't make it true,) and in this day and age of the mega-conglomerates, it's increasingly a non-issue. Microsoft and Nokia already have lawyers and notaries and the likes on the payroll, so making these guys do some work for their salaries doesn't somehow magically make hidden costs appear.

In any case, it's a doomed venture, much like basically every Microsoft hardware venture has been a doomed venture.

Microsoft bought them because it increases there patent portfolio. Nokia had a very large patent portfolio when it comes to mobile phones. It gives Microsoft huge leveraging power over other companies when negotiating. And, depending on the phone manufacture, in many cases Microsoft is making more money from patent royalties on Android phones sold then Google is! This does not account for the ecosystem, just the actual hardware unit sold.

And I really am loving the Surface and the new Windows Phones. I hope they do well!

- W. C. Fields

10. : 36 Landscapes That Prove That Video Games Are Art Aug 20, 2013, 13:52 Enahs

Re:: 36 Landscapes That Prove That Video Games Are Art

Just take a look at any landscapes, or pretty much anything from Syberia 1/2 (yes, with a y), and tell me SOME video games are not art.

- W. C. Fields

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2013, 10:51 Enahs

Or get a real phone, with built-in wireless charging. You do not even have to plug it in, just set it on your nightstand and it is charging!

And InBlack, my fancy smart phone last 2 days of regular use, ya know, unless I watch movies on it. So yes, yours might last 5 days, but it can not do what mine does, and finding an hour to charge the phone over a 2 day period is not all that hard, seeing is I sleep more then an hour over 2 days!

- W. C. Fields

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 26, 2013, 14:24 Enahs

Cutter wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 13:44:

I've always wondered if there was a better way to build roofs on standard homes as to preclude maintenance entirely or minimize if for extreme periods. It's always seemed to me that the roofing industry does its best to ensure that they're never out of work.

If you do not live in the north where you get water that freezes and damages roofs, or on the coast where you have hurricanes and sideways water, i.e. in the south, or central region of the US, roofs can easily last 30-40 years if you use good quality material and it is installed correctly.

- W. C. Fields

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 26, 2013, 14:21 Enahs

Blue, it is quite possible your home owners insurance will pay for it, or pay for part of it. It protects them from having to pay out large claim fees in the event of major water damage.  

- W. C. Fields

1. STnG Jun 10, 2013, 09:53 Enahs

Just FYI for all my fellow nerds. The currently available remastered in HD version of Star Trek The Next Generation are available for "free" streaming via Amazon Prime. So if you happen to have an Amazon prime account (and if you are in certain countries, why would not not?!) then you can check the currently released ones available!

They only have the remastered version of seasons 1 & 2 available at Prime, but season 3 should be there soon!

- W. C. Fields

49. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 1, 2013, 13:22 Enahs

RollinThundr wrote on Jun 1, 2013, 12:04:
Enahs wrote on Jun 1, 2013, 09:40:
Redmask wrote on May 31, 2013, 23:53:
Enahs wrote on May 31, 2013, 22:03:
I appreciate that if you like the new start menu in Windows 8 is a personal preference, but you are just wrong!

It is awesome! Because you have been using the old traditional start menu with your mouse, which is just horrible inefficient!

With my Windows 8, if I want to load up the calculator I hit the meta key on my keyboard (the Windows key), type the letter 'c' and hit enter, boom, done. If I want to load up steam, meta key 'ste' enter.
If I want to load up something like inSSider, which I do not use often, there is no reason to have it pined to my start screen, or at the top of the old start menu, I just hit meta key ins enter. I can actually do that fast enough and hit enter, it does not actually display the search results, it just launches the program.

I appreciate that you like it but you are just wrong. Good luck training regular users to use search for everything because the USER INTERFACE has poor discoverability and can't multitask for shit despite the fact that everything in the past 20 years has been building on those core concepts. Most people could adjust just fine if they wanted to but really, what the fuck is the point when the new interface doesn't really offer any reason to bother? Yes let's go backward in time for no reason to help Microsoft compete with Apple, that sounds worth my time and money.

The user interface does not have poor discover-ability, that is just silly. Multi-tasking is kind of irrelevant for finding a file, or program, or just searching for something quick and simple.
I.E., you never multitasked on the old start menu, when should you be able to in the new one?

You shouldn't have to memorize a bunch of keyboard shortcuts when the old start, pick what you want to run, voila works just fine. Good luck teaching keyboard short cuts to those who are fairly computer illiterate no matter how many times you show them how to do something.

You do not need to learn keyboard shortcuts!!! You have the Windows Key in nearly every keyboard made for the past 18 years!
You just click it and type the name of whatever you want and you are done. That is not memorizing keyboard shortcuts!

- W. C. Fields

47. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 1, 2013, 09:40 Enahs

Redmask wrote on May 31, 2013, 23:53:
I appreciate that if you like the new start menu in Windows 8 is a personal preference, but you are just wrong!

It is awesome! Because you have been using the old traditional start menu with your mouse, which is just horrible inefficient!

With my Windows 8, if I want to load up the calculator I hit the meta key on my keyboard (the Windows key), type the letter 'c' and hit enter, boom, done. If I want to load up steam, meta key 'ste' enter.
If I want to load up something like inSSider, which I do not use often, there is no reason to have it pined to my start screen, or at the top of the old start menu, I just hit meta key ins enter. I can actually do that fast enough and hit enter, it does not actually display the search results, it just launches the program.

I appreciate that you like it but you are just wrong. Good luck training regular users to use search for everything because the USER INTERFACE has poor discoverability and can't multitask for shit despite the fact that everything in the past 20 years has been building on those core concepts. Most people could adjust just fine if they wanted to but really, what the fuck is the point when the new interface doesn't really offer any reason to bother? Yes let's go backward in time for no reason to help Microsoft compete with Apple, that sounds worth my time and money.

The user interface does not have poor discover-ability, that is just silly. Multi-tasking is kind of irrelevant for finding a file, or program, or just searching for something quick and simple.
I.E., you never multitasked on the old start menu, when should you be able to in the new one?

- W. C. Fields

46. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 1, 2013, 09:39 Enahs

Redmask wrote on Jun 1, 2013, 07:55:
There was a lot more wrong with Windows 8 and Metro than just having a new start menu.

No there was not. It improves everything else. MUCH improved memory and overall system efficiency. Better file transfer dialog and info. Far superior task manager with MANY options for power users in it.

- W. C. Fields

45. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 1, 2013, 09:37 Enahs

HorrorScope wrote on May 31, 2013, 23:07:

If I want to launch things in the control panel, same way, or files on my computer.

My mom just chimed in with a WTF is Meta? Yes techies could like it, but ahem, most people aren't. But lets not assume you cannot make the old style-desktop deadly efficient + hotkeys. Metro is 70's fugly to boot.

The not to be an ass, which I am, but then your mom and you lack reading comprehension because the first time I said meta key I put the 'windows key' in brackets after it. Because on my linux system the windows key is not the windows key, it is a meta key. And if you guys can not understand something as simple as that, why should we have things designed for you?

Bar none, the meta key + typing a few letters in Windows 8 is far superior in efficiency to older styles, whichever of the older style start menu you prefer.

At least twice a week while working on my system with people in my office will say something along the lines of 'wow, how did you load that so fast' or 'how did you switch to that app so fast', or 'how did you find that file so fast, I did not see you go go my computer c: folder, sub folder, sub folder, etc'.

You can still not like how it looks.

- W. C. Fields

36. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 31, 2013, 22:03 Enahs

If I want to launch things in the control panel, same way, or files on my computer.

If I want to search something on the internet, wherever I am, I just hit meta key type what I want to search I just hit meta key type what I want to search the internet for and hit the google results app on the side which loads the results in FireFox for me.

It is far more efficient at finding files, and various things. People are saying it is designed for touch, but it is designed even more for a keyboard! Windows 7 had some of these features, but it was not as fast, versatile, and robust as the Windows 8. Far superior for files, settings, and just adding extra things. I want weather of some random city, meta key + first few letters of city and then click weather. Same for searching my email, music etc.

And since it is so fast, yes, when I hit meta key + mat to load up matlab, I see a red screen for a tenth of a second, but it is loaded.
And if I am not exactly sure of the name of the app, the search is great for that too!

The new start screen/menu/whatever is not good for mouse, who cares, it is AMAZING for keyboard! Which can be done far quicker and more efficient then ANY mouse driven GUI launcher from any OS I have ever used. From all the various cool front ends to Linux to the various Mac. This is just soo damn much quicker and fast and efficent.

And that is why I love it! You guys are just doing it all wrong.

EDIT

And this whole going to metro issue. It is a non issue. I ONLY go to metro when I use the meta key to start something. If you do not like the metro apps, do not use them!

I admit, I did setup some live tiles with weather, calendar, and a few other tickers like that with info. So right now while typing this, I keep my desktop clean with no gadgets for that info, not a bunch of crappy add-ons for my web browser, but to see weather and calendar and news, I hit the meta key on my keyboard, read it all at a glance, and then hit the meta key again to go back to regular desktop. It is a breeze, incredibly easy and quick. I checked the weather and news and my calendar without having to take my hands of the keyboard while typing this edit to this post. And I did it at the speed I can read, without taking up any of my screen real estate with silly gadgets like in Win 7.

This comment was edited on May 31, 2013, 22:14.

- W. C. Fields

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 8, 2013, 16:46 Enahs

Cutter wrote on May 8, 2013, 16:11:
Verno wrote on May 8, 2013, 14:18:
There are going to be many broken Google Glass headsets in the future for people who don't ask permission

Seriously. I was in a bar one night when some perv was palming his cell camera trying to sneak upskirt shots of women in the bar. I confronted the asshole - rather violently and loudly - and the bouncer grabbed the guy while the bartender grabbed his phone to make certain he was doing what I claimed he was. And when they saw it was the case they - and one or two of the guys that were boyfriends of the women he had taken shots dragged the guy outside and beat the living shit out of him before the cops showed up. You just know this is going to be happening down the line with those things at some point.

I dunno.
It seems more likely to be caught trying this with google glasses. I mean, it means you have to get your head down in a position to be looking up the skirt anyway.

- W. C. Fields

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 24, 2013, 22:33 Enahs

Amazon actually supplies Netflix its servers and infrastructure I believe.  

- W. C. Fields

36. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 19, 2013, 18:09 Enahs

NegaDeath wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 16:32:
Murden wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 16:06:
I have this cool way to disable metro. When it starts up. Click on the Desktop button.

I don't know why everyone's so upset about metro. Some of it I like, some of it I don't like. When I start up my computer its nice and simple to start up an app I use often, it's right there in front of me. If I need to use something suited to a more windows 7 atmosphere (like surfing the web, using the old interface with favorites bar) I simply click on the desktop button and I have it.

Everyone was happy with windows 7, and it really hasn't gone anywhere. They just added metro to it. Why the confusion? It's all there as it was.

IMO - Metros a step in the right direction, it just needs to be tweaked a bit.

Anyone who says it's confusing hasn't actually spent the time to see what it really is.

This article is a great answer to your question. Odds are if you are posting here you are an enthusiast, or at least technologically adept. The vast majority of people aren't. If something gets moved or changed you can find it, others can't. Removing the start button and the different control styles of the new start screen were enough to completely befuddle people. The lack of any meaningful tutorial only compounded the problem. Hell I have fellow employees that struggle just with using outlook. Throwing metro at them would be like throwing them in the ocean without a life preserver.

Yes.
But also look at this thread. You have people complaining about the lack of innovation from Microsoft, and how that will be its downfall. You have the people, who as soon as Microsoft changes something, the same people complaining about lack of innovation, complain because it is different!

It is impossible for them to "win" on discussion on the internets because the most vocal people want them to innovate while keeping everything exactly the same...

But, they are still selling the OS. I gave it a fair chance and I enjoy it.

Does it matter if they are selling as fast as Win 7? If it is still selling at a decent rate (which it is), then it is a win for them. A fail for them is not internet tech reporters complaining and bitching, or praising, just to get traffic to their websites.

People play with it at BestBuy and the like, and they buy it or they don't.

But it is selling, so it is successful enough for now...

- W. C. Fields

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
9. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 18, 2013, 08:10 Enahs

Spektr wrote on Apr 18, 2013, 06:14:
I don't know about Iphone but I can only lament that my galaxyS2 is not built around the basic function. Which is or rather should be phonecalls. Well making a phonecall requires a swype gesture answering one also. Then the absence of a physical button for that requires you to look at the screen. In a perfect world I would say that those two facts contribute to deter people from phoning while driving but it's not the case and it only contributes to making people who phone while driving more dangerous as they look at screen and have to use two hands to answer calls or make them.
On android when I got started, if the contacts was pushed to the groups tab it makes the phone tab disappear entirely. As a newcomer I didnt know where it went and for a few days I could only make phone calls from contact list.
My point? in an emergency situation when you are stressed out, are wounded, for a reason have only one hand available ( say your arm is in a cast or you are carrying something) or using someone else's phone. Smartphones are ridiculously hard to use to start with.

On my Lumia 920, I swipe up to unlock it. I am given with the prompt to input my pass pin, or I can just hit a button to call 911.

So if I was in a situation, and I was unconscious, and my friend with me did not have a cell phone, they could still call 911 easily on my phone, even if they do not know how to use it, they just need to know how to read.

Is it not that way for iPhone and many Androids?

- W. C. Fields

News Comments > DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011
45. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 4, 2013, 08:54 Enahs

I actually enjoyed Rage.
I played it two times through.

Was it great, no. But it was fun to me. Just because some of us have different tastes does not mean we are company shills...!

I tried Skrimm, but I just think it SUCKS. Sorry!

- W. C. Fields

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 31, 2013, 09:15 Enahs

Lets me honest, the Mexico flag is pretty bad ass and deserving adoption as the manstovia flag.

- W. C. Fields

7856 Comments. 393 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo