Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Shane

Real Name Shane   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Enahs
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description gmail.com @ shanezsullivan
"You better take some vitamins and try harder."
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 13, 2002, 15:25
Total Comments 7849 (Guru)
User ID 15513

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2014, 14:27 Enahs

Cutter wrote on Aug 18, 2014, 11:48:
Just drive fence posts into both sides of the tree with fence post anchors, and problem solved.

Fence post anchors are usually pretty hard to use close to trees. They expand underground!

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

2. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2014, 11:00 Enahs

Rope. Just hold the fence posts on the two sides of the tree, to the tree with a good rope. It will also flex a little as the tree moves. Just probably have to periodically replace it every few years, depending on if the squirrels like it or not.  

- W. C. Fields

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
24. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 18, 2014, 09:39 Enahs

Verno wrote on Jul 18, 2014, 08:59:
Lots of people trying to downplay this, 6000 Microsoft workers and 12000 Nokia employees being sacked is a big deal. Meanwhile the Nokia guy gets a 25mil bonus and Microsoft continues to post strong financials. Yep nothing wrong with this!

That 25 millions dollars he got as a bonus, could be used to pay each of those employees $833. It is irrelevant to the discussion. They are in fact getting larger severance pays, and extensions on insurance beyond employment for a reasonable amount of time. Microsoft is not just dumping them.

Again, as a few have said, they are dumping 18,000 after acquiring 30,000 people overnight.

Yes, it sucks for those people. Big time. But you can not let your emotion decide what to do, or the rest of the 100K + employees will suffer. Saying it is because Windows 8 or XBoxOne is doing bad, is just ignorant. They are not doing great, but they are not actually doing horrible either.

- W. C. Fields

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
5. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jun 15, 2014, 08:46 Enahs

The compromise solution seems obvious to me. Your purchase receipt generates a code for you to access WiFi. And the amount you spend determines the code time-frame you fall in, and only allows internet for X amount of time.

Just make them pay for WiFi.

- W. C. Fields

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 28, 2014, 23:08 Enahs

Beamer wrote on Mar 28, 2014, 21:08:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 28, 2014, 20:49:
MS if you can complete... then we'll take them to court.

Well, this sounds like a reaction, but they did it months ago.

The two patents described here sound dumb.

Yes, they did this before the Oculus buy-out!

But, the two patents described sound dumb? The one patent is pretty much the exact description of Google Glasses. I mean, Microsoft already makes ~$15 per Android phone sold, and now looks like they will be getting a chunk of any GG sold.

- W. C. Fields

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
15. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 4, 2013, 19:34 Enahs

Creston wrote on Dec 4, 2013, 12:25:
50 million hours. Pointless statistics for the win.

This means they're not happy about their sales, because otherwise they'd just be raving about how many units they sold. You only get empty, horseshit statistics like "hours played" when the "units sold" statistic is laughably low.

Not really a meaningless statistic. It gives us a good way to estimate lowest possible numbers, as well as realistic numbers.

The 50 million hour mark was published after 11 days, or 264 hours.
If we say that during that time, every XboxOne was killing zombies or racing cars (the maximum possible time), then they sold 190K units. Minimum.

If we put the number at 4 hours of gaming each day on average, by every console player everyday of those two games, that puts it at over 1.1 million units.

If we take this random site :random site
which puts average xbox game playing at 42 hours a month, divide that down to the time period, and then multiply by 10 because it is a new factor (i.e, people who bought it are playing it currently 10x more then they were on average playing the old one), that puts sales at 3.5 million units.

In that 11 day periods, more then 190K units have to be being used, that is bare minimum. That number is an underestimate, as that assumed all consoles were sold on the first day, and all had equal time. Since they were not all sold on the first day, more units had to be being played then that. Using a simple geometric sales distribution, it puts the minimum possible closer to 500K.

Using the geometric sales distribution, and then 10x average play time, then throwing in an extra 24 hours of gaming for everybody because of thanksgiving weekend, I get ~2.5 Million units.

Let it be known, that after 11-12 days I predict they sold (in retail, not to suppliers) at least 2.5 million.

Anybody wanna bet a steam game purchase?!

- W. C. Fields

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Loot Hunt Begins
19. Re: Borderlands 2 Loot Hunt Begins Oct 12, 2013, 23:06 Enahs

Creston wrote on Oct 12, 2013, 22:21:
Enahs wrote on Oct 12, 2013, 21:35:
I did it this morning, and it never showed. I then looked under rules. You have to have either game of year edition, or certain DLC....which I dont got...!

Huh. Do you remember which DLC?

Borderlands 2 Game of the Year Edition (“Game”), or Borderlands 2 and the Captain Scarlett and her Pirate’s Booty, Mr. Torgue’s Campaign of Carnage, Sir Hammerlock’s Big Game Hunt and Tiny Tina’s Assault on Dragons Keep Downloadable Content packs for Borderlands 2

Pretty much the first thing (section 1.i) of the rules linked by Blue.

- W. C. Fields

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Loot Hunt Begins
17. Re: Borderlands 2 Loot Hunt Begins Oct 12, 2013, 21:35 Enahs

Creston wrote on Oct 12, 2013, 21:10:
Went and killed Knuckledragger (he drops a blue, nothing special), and their website of course still says I haven't killed him.

Why would it actually work with Gearbox running it? Good job, fellas.

I did it this morning, and it never showed. I then looked under rules. You have to have either game of year edition, or certain DLC....which I dont got...!

- W. C. Fields

17. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2013, 19:43 Enahs

nin wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 19:34:
But Pinball FX2 is free in the Windows 8 store.

As it is on steam.

I guess he confused me. Because he said it was 66% off, which implies not free.

I confuse easily, so its ok.

- W. C. Fields

15. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2013, 19:06 Enahs

PHJF wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 16:49:
Pinball FX2 is 66% off on Steam. Ain't the world's most accurate pinball sim but some of the tables are a lot of fun.

I hate to stoke the fire, cause I know most people love to hate Win 8 and Microsoft. But Pinball FX2 is free in the Windows 8 store. It only comes with the mars table, you purchase the others ala the 360. But you can get free purchases from Bing rewards just by searching with Bing. So, I have the full suite in PinballFX2 for free...!

- W. C. Fields

News Comments > Valve Remains Bullish on Linux
38. Re: Valve Remains Bullish on Linux Sep 18, 2013, 09:21 Enahs

OS updates now are incremental...And there were a lot of other major incremental improvements in Win 8 from a OS standard.
Seriously, except from 3.1 to 95, and then to the NT kernal, all windows updates have been incremental. Why are people expecting other difference.

Re: Verno and copy. Pausing is amazing.

Re: Burito, yeah, so you ask me to name a few and I do, and include links to features I like, then harass me for not linking to tech articles. Despite the fact that the last one is a tech article, and the kernel link would obviously be a tech article if I was not to lazy to find it. Grasping at straws.

And no, the searching is not the same in Win 7 but with different indexing parameters. That just goes to show you know nothing about . the system, and that the claim that you can do the same things in Win 7 is laughable.

And so what if the task manager is close to process explore. Which I have both it and process monitor on my desktop. Wonderful programs. The more featured task manager is awesome, but not everything. You are now complaining that the new improvements built into the OS are not completely new ideas thought up by nobody else? Or done nowhere else? Then if that has to be the case, why the F are people asking for Linux to be better at gaming? That is done on the PC with Windows already. According to your argument, it is a waste of time then! The Linux OS better figure out a way to make a ham sandwich from air to actually bring something new!

- W. C. Fields

33. Re: Valve Remains Bullish on Linux Sep 17, 2013, 16:40 Enahs

Dev wrote on Sep 17, 2013, 08:43:
I've seen the list of things that MS has added to win 8, they are mostly LOL. But if you want to list off a few of your favorites, go for it.
My favorites:
Improved file manager and transfer options. Including pausing:

Improved task manager, with crazy amount of new features for power users:

Improved memory usage

New kernel improvements....That linux and Mac have had forever. I got tired of finding links.

Major improvements to the built-in search feature. To find a file, movie, music, or program, all I have to do is hit the meta (Windows) key, and type in a few letters, and I have it.

I have done this test with literally dozens of people who argue about it, and we assign 10 tasks of finding a certain file, loading a specific application, finding a file containing a certain word, changing a configuration setting, etc, etc. With the improvements in Win8 I am always an order of magnitude faster then people who do not use that feature, or the more limited version in Win 7. It makes the system more multi-tasking friendly! Really, get over that it is different and try it and give it a fair chance!

- W. C. Fields

6. Re: Valve Remains Bullish on Linux Sep 16, 2013, 20:46 Enahs

Despite the interweb people screaming how bad Win 8 is, and how doomed Microsoft is, they continue to report profit (including the Windows division). Win 8 is selling decently well, enough to be profitable, which is great considering there is no actual reason to upgrade to Win 8. And again, Win 8 added a lot of great things.

I think all the Microsoft naysayers really should look at the facts and not the hyperbole spit out about Microsoft on the internet. No they are not perfect. And yes, it is human nature to root against the big man and for the underdog. But open your eyes people!

- W. C. Fields

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. ransfer a secret audio message by poking someone with your finger. The wet-williegram. Sep 16, 2013, 10:16 Enahs

Re:ransfer a secret audio message by poking someone with your finger. The wet-williegram.

Wow, so using advanced technology somebody standing right next to me can hear me! Amazing!

- W. C. Fields

1. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 16, 2013, 10:04 Enahs

I think she used equator in the commercial to refer to something exotic and hot, not that a small part of her mouth actually moved a long distance!  

- W. C. Fields

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
5. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 9, 2013, 12:41 Enahs

Ray Ban wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 05:04:
What is sport? What is art? What is life? What is an RPG?

Somethings are not possible to define, it would seem.
A port is an athletic competition. Not just a competition.

- W. C. Fields

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Transaction costs Sep 9, 2013, 10:53 Enahs

Creston wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 10:15:
Really? Microsoft spent what was it... 10 billion dollars? to counter the few hundred grand that goes with having to have some meetings and draw up some contracts?

And that's assuming you even believe the transaction cost theory in the first place (remember people, just because a Nobel Prize winner said something doesn't make it true,) and in this day and age of the mega-conglomerates, it's increasingly a non-issue. Microsoft and Nokia already have lawyers and notaries and the likes on the payroll, so making these guys do some work for their salaries doesn't somehow magically make hidden costs appear.

In any case, it's a doomed venture, much like basically every Microsoft hardware venture has been a doomed venture.

Microsoft bought them because it increases there patent portfolio. Nokia had a very large patent portfolio when it comes to mobile phones. It gives Microsoft huge leveraging power over other companies when negotiating. And, depending on the phone manufacture, in many cases Microsoft is making more money from patent royalties on Android phones sold then Google is! This does not account for the ecosystem, just the actual hardware unit sold.

And I really am loving the Surface and the new Windows Phones. I hope they do well!

- W. C. Fields

10. : 36 Landscapes That Prove That Video Games Are Art Aug 20, 2013, 13:52 Enahs

Re:: 36 Landscapes That Prove That Video Games Are Art

Just take a look at any landscapes, or pretty much anything from Syberia 1/2 (yes, with a y), and tell me SOME video games are not art.

- W. C. Fields

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2013, 10:51 Enahs

Or get a real phone, with built-in wireless charging. You do not even have to plug it in, just set it on your nightstand and it is charging!

And InBlack, my fancy smart phone last 2 days of regular use, ya know, unless I watch movies on it. So yes, yours might last 5 days, but it can not do what mine does, and finding an hour to charge the phone over a 2 day period is not all that hard, seeing is I sleep more then an hour over 2 days!

- W. C. Fields

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 26, 2013, 14:24 Enahs

Cutter wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 13:44:

I've always wondered if there was a better way to build roofs on standard homes as to preclude maintenance entirely or minimize if for extreme periods. It's always seemed to me that the roofing industry does its best to ensure that they're never out of work.

If you do not live in the north where you get water that freezes and damages roofs, or on the coast where you have hurricanes and sideways water, i.e. in the south, or central region of the US, roofs can easily last 30-40 years if you use good quality material and it is installed correctly.

- W. C. Fields

7849 Comments. 393 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo