Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Nomaar

Real Name Nomaar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Nomaar
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 9, 2002, 22:15
Total Comments 116 (Novice)
User ID 15475

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

News Comments > EVE Online Boasts 500K Subscribers
15. Re: EVE Online Boasts 500K Subscribers Feb 28, 2013, 11:09 Nomaar

ItBurn wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 10:55:
Nomaar wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 10:51:
ItBurn wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 10:27:
Wow. let me balance things here.

Eve is an amazingly complex game and there's definitely no other like it. You can really get lost into this "other world".

With that said, to offset all the positive comments in the thread, the game is boring. Extremely boring.

A lot of people are going to find it boring, but they're not striving for mass appeal. They're serving a very specific niche and have stuck to that philosophy for over a decade. That's something to be admired in an industry where just about every publisher seems to eventually succumb to the temptation to dumb things down to increase sales.

Definitely. I'm glad it exists. It just pisses me off that it's so close to greatness, but made all these decisions I don't agree with. If I ever become super depressive or if my life becomes unbearably terrible, I'll probably get lost in EVE and play 24/7 :p

It's kind of funny you mentioned that, because as someone who as played on and off since beta, I too have noticed it's a game I'm drawn to when I'm feeling down and depressed. When my wife got breast cancer eight years ago, I used to get lost in that game well into the night after she'd gone to sleep (She battled it and won, btw).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > EVE Online Boasts 500K Subscribers
11. Re: EVE Online Boasts 500K Subscribers Feb 28, 2013, 10:51 Nomaar

ItBurn wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 10:27:
Wow. let me balance things here.

Eve is an amazingly complex game and there's definitely no other like it. You can really get lost into this "other world".

With that said, to offset all the positive comments in the thread, the game is boring. Extremely boring.

A lot of people are going to find it boring, but they're not striving for mass appeal. They're serving a very specific niche and have stuck to that philosophy for over a decade. That's something to be admired in an industry where just about every publisher seems to eventually succumb to the temptation to dumb things down to increase sales.

News Comments > Darkfall: Unholy Wars Announced
6. Re: Darkfall: Unholy Wars Announced Sep 19, 2012, 17:36 Nomaar

JohnBirshire wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 11:50:
This game ruined itself by having no skill cap, while simultaneously having so many macro'ers. There is simply no way you could possibly catch up with anybody as a new player, you will forever suck no matter how much time and effort you put into it. You could start playing today, macro 24 hours a day 365 days a year for 3 years, and still get your ass kicked all day long by all the people that started doing that exact same thing 2 years ago.

From what they say on the DF forums, this isn't an expansion, it's a relaunched game world and a new game. The general feeling is that everyone will start from square one again.

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Beta Beginning; Steam Confirmed
13. Re: PlanetSide 2 Beta Beginning; Steam Confirmed Aug 6, 2012, 18:58 Nomaar

You had to be a paid subscriber as of 8am Pacific this morning to be in the first wave of invites. Paying for a subscription now won't get you in any earlier.  

News Comments > The Secret World Content Plans
25. Re: The Secret World Content Plans Jul 11, 2012, 20:46 Nomaar

Jivaro wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 18:34:
Nomaar wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 12:11:
Well I'm loving it so far. Immersive, detailed world; deep storyline and lore; free-form character development that does away with cookie-cutter levels and builds; lots of quests that make you use your brain. What more could you ask for?

The short list?

1)How about a combat system that doesn't suck. I mean, it is definitely capable, but it is really awkward. I feel like someone couldn't make up their mind between the traditional "tab-select" of WoW or the "action combat" of TERA...and ended up with something in the middle...awkward and inefficient.

2) Quest log limits suck. I see what they are trying to do from a storytelling point of view, and I still say it blows. Also, why can I only look at one quest at a time..why not the list? For a game that spouts "freedom" it sure does apply some weird limits on the UI.

3) Speaking of the UI...nevermind..let's not speak about it. I am sure they are going to do something to improve it.

4) Considering their staff, the engine, the time in development, and various other variables...the graphics are terrible. I am no graphics whore, but you either have to use your tech to make it shiny or you have to have a very stylized art plan..and they have neither.

5) Pay for the game, pay a subscription, and an in-game store? Money sink. I don't care if the items in the store are all for looks, it doesn't matter. Perhaps I wouldn't be so irritated by it if the game was at all polished...but it isn't, just like every other newly released MMO...so asking me to pay more real money then I already do just so I can have a jacket that doesn't look like it came out of a 1980's Michael Jackson video is pretty crappy.

6) The only "tutorial" I have ever played in a MMO that is worse then the one in SW is the original one from Champions Online. Here is what I learned from playing the tutorial in SW: I will never play a character that uses shotguns because apparently they can't actually hurt anything AND single target healing is a waste of time. It is entirely possible that both of those statements are entirely false when applied to the rest of the game...but as a guest player I wouldn't know and I certainly wasn't going to waste my "24 hours" to find out.

1) I find the combat to be fine so I honestly don't know what you mean by awkward. Some aspects are a bit different from a typical MMO and may take some getting used to, but whatever. This is completely subjective.

2) Could care less about this. The quest givers are laid out in a way that makes the lack of a big quest log meaningless.

3) Meh. Again, who cares. The UI could be a little better but it basically does what you need it to do. It will get better.

4) Again, subjective. I've seen people both complain and praise the graphics. They're definitely not "terrible." What MMORPG is better?

5) The in-game store is for vanity items only, like EVE online, so again, who cares. So what's the complaint here again?

6) You're complaining about the tutorial? Are you serious?

20. Re: The Secret World Content Plans Jul 11, 2012, 16:35 Nomaar

Fibrocyte wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 16:24:
Nomaar wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 12:11:
Well I'm loving it so far. Immersive, detailed world; deep storyline and lore; free-form character development that does away with cookie-cutter levels and builds; lots of quests that make you use your brain. What more could you ask for?

If anyone is interested in trying it, I have one 24-hour buddy pass at my disposal. First poster gets it. I'll need your e-mail address.

Nomaar: I'll take it! fibrocyte@gmail.com

OK, you should be getting it shortly.

16. Re: The Secret World Content Plans Jul 11, 2012, 12:11 Nomaar

If anyone is interested in trying it, I have one 24-hour buddy pass at my disposal. First poster gets it. I'll need your e-mail address.

News Comments > 38 Studios Bankrupt; FBI Investigating
9. Re: 38 Studios Bankrupt; FBI Investigating Jun 7, 2012, 14:47 Nomaar

jdreyer wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 14:35:
Really? The FBI? Since when is being over optimistic and perhaps a poor manager a crime? As negative as I've been on this debacle, nothing I've read suggests there was anything illegal going on.

Uhm, the point of an investigation is to determine if there is a crime or not. No one said there was one. Also the article clearly referred to some "activities that have recently come to light."

All that aside, what in blazes difference does it make what you've read? There's a whole side to this thing that the public doesn't know about, as is the case with any business deal. Unless you were in the smoke-filled back rooms when the loan deal was being put together, your view on the situation is as irrelevant as anyone else's looking from the outside. Sheesh.

News Comments > Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details
79. Re: Diablo III Starter Edition & Guest Pass Details May 15, 2012, 10:13 Nomaar

Darks wrote on May 15, 2012, 10:04:
nin wrote on May 15, 2012, 08:56:

As excited as I am for Diablo 3, it's kinda nice that my copy won't be here until sometime Tuesday afternoon--I figure by then a least a few of the server kinks will have been worked out.

I'm thinking that'll be Friday.

Also, with the mad rush and server issues, I'm laughing at anyone that took off today to play this...

There have been no issues at all, I was on this morning and it was smooth. I was talking to a few of my friends on line from our guild and they also said the same thing. No issues. Remember this is Blizz we are talking about, itís not like they havenít been there and done that before.

I can vouch for that. I actually stayed up to 3 a.m. this morning to get some playing in. It took about 20 minutes for the servers to get straightened out, but after that, I played with no problems at all for an hour straight before going to bed.

News Comments > Diablo III Interview
20. Re: Diablo III Interview May 7, 2012, 11:51 Nomaar

Darks wrote on May 7, 2012, 11:19:
Thats called being lazy as a designer and a developer. to not implement a camera is foolish in todayís gaming. Developers implement this style of camera so they can hide how lazy they were when they built the engine. This all falls back to how lazy Blizz got with Starcrap 2. All they did with that game was candy coat it with a new paint job. Thatís all it was in the end, Blizz has become complacent and because of it they have gotten lazy about implementations and new ideas.

Verno, On the offline mode, I would have to say that I think this all falls back to how duping was out of control and Blizz is needing to put an end to that because of the real world AH they implemented now. You canít have a bunch of hackers taking advantage of the market for free.

Although I doubt you'll look at it since it sounds like you want to be angry, the rationale behind the Diablo 3 artwork is all explained here: http://gdcvault.com/play/1015306/The-Art-of-Diablo.

Aside from its better aesthetics, and the fact that most Diablo fans probably could give a flying f--k about a rotating camera, the fixed camera also allows for better performance since the environment doesn't have to be fully rendered in 3D.

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Trailer
3. Re: The Witcher 2 Trailer Mar 19, 2012, 11:35 Nomaar

Techie714 © wrote on Mar 19, 2012, 10:45:
This game is just so damn awesome & under rated compared to Skyrim.

I bought it, but haven't gotten around to playing it yet. Is it open-world like Skyrim? Based on my experiences with the first game, I thought this was more of an on-rails type of rpg than Skyrim.

News Comments > The Walking Dead Trailer
4. Re: The Walking Dead TV Show Mar 7, 2012, 00:22 Nomaar

I thought the same thing, especially since he wasn't even strong enough to lift his legs out of the mud earlier in the episode. In Talking Dead, the half-hour talkshow that follows, the director of the episode said it was because zombies have bony, gnarly fingers that can claw into things  

News Comments > The Secret World Delayed
14. Re: The Secret World Delayed Feb 21, 2012, 18:30 Nomaar

A two-month delay is meaningless, especially for a MMORG that has been years in development. Of course, if it has even a single bug on release, the peanut gallery will be screaming from the hilltops about how the greedy bastards rushed it out the door.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2012, 16:25 Nomaar

killer_roach wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 16:19:
Nomaar wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 16:05:
I stand corrected on the rating, but what was capable about their rushing game? It ranked dead last in the NFL. Manning raised his game to another level this year and kept them afloat while the running game and the defense floundered.

It ranked last mostly because they didn't run very often. When you're running primarily to pick up short-yardage first downs, few yards and a low average is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

They only ran in short yardage situations because Jacobs and Bradshaw sucked most of the year. Even in those short yardage situations in which they ran, they failed miserably most of the time.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2012, 16:21 Nomaar

Cutter wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 16:02:
And I fully agree. It's the strength of the overall team that carries him, not the other way around.

The "overall" team played like crap most of the season, particularly the defense and the running backs, who were brutally bad before turning it heading into the playoffs. They won nine games, and six of them were fourth-quarter comebacks directed by Manning. You have it reversed -- the team would have been dead in the water without him this year.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2012, 16:05 Nomaar

killer_roach wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 14:52:
Nomaar wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 14:35:
Cutter wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 13:52:
The reason Eli will continue to get static is his lack of consistency. When he's on he's good, no one can deny that. It's just that he can only seem to do it half the time. Hence, the reason I still say the Giants are more lucky than good. I'd say Bradshaw has been the Giants real hero this season. The guy has made some phenomenal plays! Anyway, they definitely won it yesterday. Gratz.

Not this year's Manning. He had the second best rating in the league behind Rogers and set some kind of record for fourth-quarter touchdowns. He did this despite the fact that the team's running backs were basically MIA the first three quarters of the season. The guy was flawless this year and he was the reason they squeaked into the playoffs with a 9-7 record. And this is a Jets fan talking, btw.

Second-best rating in the fourth quarter.

Overall, he was seventh, behind Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Romo, Stafford, and Schaub.

And that's with an excellent offensive line, a capable running game, and a very good receiving corps.

I get the feeling Eli is a lot like Donovan McNabb (he does well due to the system around him), but, unlike McNabb, he can perform when he has to.

That's why he's got two rings.

I stand corrected on the rating, but what was capable about their rushing game? It ranked dead last in the NFL. Manning raised his game to another level this year and kept them afloat while the running game and the defense floundered.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2012, 14:35 Nomaar

Cutter wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 13:52:
The reason Eli will continue to get static is his lack of consistency. When he's on he's good, no one can deny that. It's just that he can only seem to do it half the time. Hence, the reason I still say the Giants are more lucky than good. I'd say Bradshaw has been the Giants real hero this season. The guy has made some phenomenal plays! Anyway, they definitely won it yesterday. Gratz.

Not this year's Manning. He had the second best rating in the league behind Rogers and set some kind of record for fourth-quarter touchdowns. He did this despite the fact that the team's running backs were basically MIA the first three quarters of the season. The guy was flawless this year and he was the reason they squeaked into the playoffs with a 9-7 record. And this is a Jets fan talking, btw.

News Comments > More The Old Republic Stats
9. Re: More The Old Republic Stats Feb 2, 2012, 10:28 Nomaar

Glykon wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 03:13:
The game is dead already.
Absolutely nothing to do after 1-2 weeks of becoming 50.
Its a bigger flop even than AoC; I guess thats why they feel the need to try to post some stupid statistics...lame.

You stopped playing, so the game can be declared dead? Thanks for letting me know. I guess you should tell that to the other 1,699,000 subscribers.

News Comments > The Lord of the Rings Online Expands This Fall
10. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Expands This Fall Jan 25, 2012, 13:08 Nomaar

Endo wrote on Jan 25, 2012, 12:24:
"and grinding for gear doesn't cut it."

Uh, yeah... but that's generally the entire purpose for increasing the level cap: to force everyone to grind for gear all over again. That's THE biggest reason I don't like level cap increases.

GW kept adding new skills and abilities to collect as a way to keep advancing your character. New gear was available from the new dungeons and other content they added, but the stats were the same as the old gear. They just had new cool skins, which as it turns out is plenty incentive for people to put in lots of effort to acquire them.

But above all, the new content was just fun to play through.

Don't get me wrong, GW wasn't perfect. There's many reasons I quit playing it. But this is one area where they definitely got things right.

So what you're saying is that people still grinded for new gear in the GW expansion, but they did it to look cool, instead of getting more stats. What is so innovative about this? And all MMORPGs usually include new skills and abilities in their expansions, as well as new content to play through.

News Comments > The Old Republic Update Next Week
10. Re: The Old Republic Update Next Week Jan 13, 2012, 09:26 Nomaar

Jonny wrote on Jan 13, 2012, 04:51:
While I enjoy TOR's leveling reasonably well, it's a Bioware singleplayer game with other people running around, the game at 50 is a huge turn around to anyone who isn't a traditional MMO fan.

Instances, raids or PvP. Ooh! And we're adding more instances and more raids and more PvP!

It's a bit of a bugger, they've copied vanilla WoW so heavily that they've just copied it's Raid or Die endgame as well. Even if you enjoy a bit of PvP like I do that just leaves you with endless warzone grinding or Ilum, a planet distilled from pure tedium.

I'm not sure what I was expecting, but Rift with it's solo dungeons, MoP upcoming with it's trinity less skirmishes and Pokemon or GW2 are all expanding what they offer for people to do at endgame. I'd have thought that given their focus on casual MMO players and singleplayer RPG fans TOR would have been at the forefront of that kind of shift, not several years behind it.

Give it a rest. WoW didn't invent this crap. Raiding, etc., were MMORPG staples well before WoW. It's part of the genre and people enjoy it. Plus you call it a single-player game and a WoW clone all in the same breath. Are you confused or maybe you don't know what the hell you want. Oh, right, you did say that.

116 Comments. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo