Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for walter westinghouse

Real Name walter westinghouse   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname tron
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description a blue, glowing, computer-simulated entity
Homepage http://www.3dgamersedge.com
Signed On Dec 5, 2002, 04:35
Total Comments 845 (Graduate)
User ID 15445

User comment history
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Wanted: your opinions Aug 13, 2003, 12:28 tron

OK folks, i need your help and advice. i have been experiencing increasing system instability which has caused me to consider moving from Win98 to WinXP. the machine is used mainly for the 'net, gaming, and occassional school work. here are some questions i have.

1) is XP really that much more stable - will i notice the improvement? as someone who has been using 98se for 6 years now, will my transition be easy... will i like it?

2) should i buy the Full Version over the Upgrade Version? i've heard a few horror stories about the upgrade - any thoughts or experiences? i bought a new hard drive for this and thought it might be easier/better to just put the full XP on it rather than install 98 then the upgrade to XP.

3) just how compatible is XP now? all of my hardware is less than 2 years old, but i do like to use some older software.

4) does XP have a drive partitioning tool? if so how good is it?

5) finally, i also want to upgrade my video card (an 8500 that is problematic). I have a SIS 645 mobo, a P4 1.9GhZ, 512 MB of PC2700 RAM. do any of you know if at any point my system would be more of a bottleneck than my card? i mean, if i bought a FX5900 or Rad9800 would i be able to take full advantage of it with my set-up? financially i can probably afford a 9700 (maybe pro) or a FX5600 (ultra). the FX would obviously be cheaper. any thoughts on these two cards? i kind of need to buy the card now (soon) but i would like it to be able to handle DoomIII and HL2 fairly reasonably well in my current rig.

ok, that's about it. i know a lot of you guys are pretty knowledgeable and experienced with this kind of stuff... i'd really appreciate any and all help/comments/warnings/ect..

thanks in advance,

- McG -

---
"I'll be your lightning rod of hate!"
-colin mochrie
This comment was edited on Aug 13, 12:32.

- tron -
---
"tron is big and tron is full of action... it's a hell of a ride!"
-from the Tron 2.0 box
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Misc. Aug 12, 2003, 15:42 tron

Love that unemployed philosophers guild although the Little Thinkers page is messed up

use the text links above the pictures to get to the 'little thinkers' page, halsy.

- McG -

---
-colin mochrie

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

29. Re: Signatures Aug 8, 2003, 21:03 tron

rain your sig is still to large.. and stupid

i agree. it's not ironic, or a parody, or anything witty. it's just droning and pointless.

-McG-

---
-colin mochrie

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

19. Re: Oy vey... Aug 8, 2003, 16:11 tron

crispy,

are you talking about the Kamloops a couple three hours north and east of vancouver? i was just there 2 years ago - one of the most beautiful areas i've ever visited...

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

3. image of the day Aug 8, 2003, 10:28 tron

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/030806/241/4wkx1.html&e=10&ncid=1756

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

108. bad bad bad Aug 7, 2003, 03:00 tron

2 i haven't seen mentioned yet:

The Rock and The Big Hit. or, as i call them, crap and crap.

speaking of MST3K, anyone remember the one that was some kind of fantasy movie filmed in Denmark (or some scandinavian country) where the guy goes off and meets a witch and a Jack Frost or Old Man Winter guy, and there was a girl living with her wicked relatives who treated her like crap but loved her fat ugly sister??? *that* was the best ever MST3K, IMO. anyone know the name of the original movie or if the MST3K version ever made it to DVD??

edit: just looked it up on scifi.com and it is caled Jack Frost, episode 813. here's a site with a boat-load of images from that episode...
http://mst3k.booyaka.com/mstview.cgi?01ss=episodes/images/813%20-%20Jack%20Frost/

This comment was edited on Aug 7, 03:07.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

30. here's a future contender Aug 6, 2003, 11:33 tron

related to ootb from a few days back...

http://www.us.imdb.com/Title?0318055

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

19. Re: White Trash Quiz Jul 31, 2003, 14:26 tron

i got me an 11... though it probably should have been 8 or 9 since i guessed at a few and still got them right - like
the 'elvis fans' question...

This comment was edited on Jul 31, 14:27.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

18. Re: Hypothetical Situation Jul 28, 2003, 15:49 tron

What do you think would happen?

um, dare i say... war would happen?

This comment was edited on Jul 28, 15:50.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

16. Re: KFC Protest Jul 27, 2003, 21:05 tron

there's a reference about 2 people on this forum will get

well, then i'm person #2!

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

15. Re: KFC Protest Jul 27, 2003, 21:04 tron

surely he must realize that if no one ate meat at all, there would be no industry for it and hence there would be a lot less cows, chickens, etc. in the world.

i'm sure he realized it too, because it was his whole point. he was saying that by eating animals we increase the number of animals that live thereby giving more life to more creatures. it's the quality of that life that i call into question.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

6. Re: KFC Protest Jul 27, 2003, 17:09 tron

he saw the protesters and it made him want to buy some.

now that is funny!

I say to these protesters, THEY'RE CHICKES, we eat them, that's why we're on the top of the food chain, LIVE WITH IT!

c'mon... being at the top does not imply that we can treat all life below us poorly. in fact, i think being on top comes with an obligation to treat all other life as humanely as possible. i'm no vegetarian, and i believe that animals were put here for us to eat (why else would they taste so good!!) but that doesn't mean we should treat them bad.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

18. Re: Enterprise Jul 23, 2003, 17:30 tron

Military spending should be slashed massively anwyay.

yeah! that way with a lower tech military a LOT more lives would have been lost in afghanistan and iraq! and hey - that would in turn create new job openings, stimulating the economy and creating a perfect utopia where the sound of children's laughter would echo from the gold-plated buildings.

uh... sorry... got carried away there.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

8. AOeviL Jul 22, 2003, 12:43 tron

on the subject of spam... a few days ago i went out to my car and saw that someone had put ad ad under the windshield wiper... at least i thought it was an ad. when i went to retrieve it, it turned out to be an AOL CD in a slim cardboard case. it's bad enough getting these things in the mail - but now their putting them on parked cars too? anyone else have this happen to them??

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

8. Re: thast crazy Jul 19, 2003, 13:01 tron

Yeah, why not? It will be cheaper by the month to play it that way, then a normal subscription

i doubt it. most college classes last 3 or 4 months, and cost hundreds of dollars even at cheap community colleges.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

News Comments > TRON 2.0 Gold
28. me me me... me too! Jul 18, 2003, 03:38 tron

i guess i'm obligated to buy this one!

if it sucks i guess i'll have to rename myself DOOM3 or HL2. though i've been using "tron" online for 7 years now...

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

18. Re: human factor Jul 17, 2003, 14:16 tron

I know they may not be the cheapest around but their service is pretty darn good.

wow. that is phenomenal service! i'd like to see a copy of the home-theater guide. i wonder if it's online at their site? me, i always have to get a deal. the Dennon reciever i wanted was only $450 at etronics, but $600 at crutchfield. so i saved $150, but spent hours and hours learning how to use the damn thing! oh well. the education was worth it.

This comment was edited on Jul 17, 14:26.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

16. Re: human factor Jul 17, 2003, 13:42 tron

don't even have the ears to understand the difference between stereo and 5.1

exactly. they are more interested in being able to tell people that they have all this great stuff than they are in actually appreciating it! another thing i find funny is people who watch a DVD at my place and tell me they wish they had my stereo, but they have basically the same thing, only not hooked up properly. my parents resisted me messing with their system for months, afraid i'd make it more difficult to operate. finally they relented, and after installing a $20 cable, their system is 50x better, and only minimally more complex to operate.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

13. human factor Jul 17, 2003, 12:55 tron

going a step up from TV's and VCR's - how many people do you know that have "home theaters" that are in no way hooked up properly. it makes me so sad every time i see someone with a $2000 stereo system and nothing is hooked up optimally. and it's because it is tough to do it right. it took me a few months to fully understand my set-up and get it all together for optimal sound, and i even read the manual for my receiver (yes, all of it)! i've run into many folks who clain they have DTS or DD set-ups, and then i look and they have RCA cables coming out of their DVD... i think the manuals for DVD's, receivers, TV's etc should have a newbie section in the beginning. 5 or 6 pages explaining the basics. stuff like: RCA cables = worst, S-Video = good, Component Cables = best. a section explaining that if your DVD player outputs DTS, you still don't get DTS sound if receiver doesn't decode it!

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

56. Re: Tattoo Jul 15, 2003, 23:35 tron

my tattoo for what I thought meant "Handsom Windsurfer" really meant "Ugly Testicles".

that is so ironic, because i actually have a tattoo of a handsome windsurfer on my ugly testicles!!

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

845 Comments. 43 pages. Viewing page 39.
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo