Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for walter westinghouse

Real Name walter westinghouse   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname tron
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description a blue, glowing, computer-simulated entity
Homepage http://www.3dgamersedge.com
Signed On Dec 5, 2002, 04:35
Total Comments 846 (Graduate)
User ID 15445

User comment history
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
42. Re: XP! 5600 Ultra! Aug 22, 2003, 15:52 tron

NTFS is far superior to FAT. You realize that you lost 20GB of space on your hard drive

i know it's better, more stable and all that... but it is a little bit slower when it comes to access-times for 3D gaming, which i do a lot of. and no, i didn't lose 20GB! i lost about 6GB... which is fine with me since i have an 80 and a 40, i doubt i'll be filling up 120GB any time soon, and by the time i get there it'll be time for a new system!

- McG -

---
"I'll be your lightning rod of hate!"
-colin mochrie

- tron -
---
"tron is big and tron is full of action... it's a hell of a ride!"
-from the Tron 2.0 box
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Loading Times Aug 22, 2003, 12:25 tron

i have had no problems with the new ads.

of course, i'd rather be without them - but i totally understand and fully support blue's use of them, and i very much appreciate his approach to the whole issue, especially his stand against spyware and browser-hijacking pop-ups. sorry i didn't get to comment on this earlier, blue (school had me too busy), but i thought you might appreciate an additional person telling you they have no problem with the new portal and ads - i'd rather have them than have a pay-site.

- McG -

---
-colin mochrie

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

7. XP! 5600 Ultra! Aug 22, 2003, 11:13 tron

greetings, all - my system is back and upgraded and doing fine. thanks to everyone who helped me out with comments and what-not last week: nin, enahs, warpig, bronco, noonsa!, and anyone else who commented on my upgrades.

you were right XP is defintely preferable to 98 so far... now that i figured out how to uninstall Messenger! <<shudder>>. much faster and feels more solid. whoever it was that told me the XP partitioning system sucks - you were 100% correct. took me 4 hours and three installs to figure out that it can only FAT32 a partition 33GB or smaller. and i didn't want to go NFTS. or NTFS, whatever it is... so now i have 2 30GB partitions for games on my WD 80GB.

as for the EVGA GeForce FX 5600 Ultra 128MB card, i believe that nin and someone else in here asked me to give my impressions - and here they are: i love this card so far. my system is P4 1.9, 512MB PC2700. i had a Radeon 8500 in it. my Q2 timedemo scores went from 96 and 82 (on demo1 and demo2) to 316 and 304 fps at 1024x768 (after i figured out how to disable V-Synch). the DAWN Ultra demo runs smoothly - even with the patch and the best thing is that i can finally play Unreal 2. on my 8500 it played choppy (between 5 and 10 fps in heavy battle) at 800x600 with shadows off and some candy turned off or down. on the FX5600 i have it at 1024x768 with all bells and whistles (i even set shadows to the best possible resolution with 15 max possible) and so far it is running totally smoothly - though i have yet to enter a fire-fight. i'm thinking it should be fine, though i may have to turn off 'sharpened shadows'... big deal.

funny thing was, you need to plug these FX cards into your power supply (i bought a new 360watt enlight with more outputs to do the job) or they only run at half-speed or something ridiculous like that. anyway - i have yet to see anything on the box for the card or in the docs that mentions this (i haven't checked the online docs yet, just hardcopy). if i hadn't happened to read about the power requirement on an EVGA forum last week i'd have never known and been pretty pissed by now trying to figure it out...

anyway, it's all together and running awesome and i have that happy contented feeling only that only a nice significant system upgrade can bring... ahhh...

- McG -

---
-colin mochrie
This comment was edited on Aug 22, 11:16.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

34. Re: hey! Aug 17, 2003, 16:59 tron

Let's hope THAT subject never makes it into an OotB!

funniest thing i've heard all weekend!

- McG -

---
-colin mochrie

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

30. hey! Aug 17, 2003, 16:40 tron

hey everybody, lets use this forum here at bluesnews to talk about game related ideas and entertainment... i come in here to get away from the grind of everyday life, not to engage in political debate and name-calling.

i think it's pretty obvious that none of us are going to change anyone's political belief system - so lets all just drop it and play nice together... leave politics to a forum on some other site that is conducive to that type of discussion.

lets stick to oil-cooled computers, dantastic's skillet/cpu, and fredrickson's obsession with blue's penis.

- McG -

---
-colin mochrie

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

News Comments > id Software Q&As
20. Re: Old Games New Engine Aug 17, 2003, 15:36 tron

i never even played with mouselook

how the heck didja play Quake 1 without mouselook??? and on what difficulty level did you play it?

- McG -

---
-colin mochrie

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

25. image of the day Aug 17, 2003, 15:34 tron

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=1756&e=3&u=/030815/161/4zl27.html

gary coleman makin' a move

- McG -

---
-colin mochrie

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

News Comments > id Software Q&As
16. Re: Whoa Aug 17, 2003, 15:13 tron

Quake 2 with the Doom 3 engine for a mid-level price range? One copy sold.

make that 2 copies! i spent 3 years of my life on my SPQ2 website, but i'd buy that game and play the hell out of it all over again!

- McG -

---
-colin mochrie

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

9. Re: Better Action Figure Aug 16, 2003, 19:37 tron

Well, he has "acted" in other movies

you might be surprised at just how many movies he's been in - check this out: http://www.imdb.com/Name?Ermey,+R.+Lee

- McG -

---
-colin mochrie

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

58. Re: Blackout :( Aug 16, 2003, 00:22 tron

Thanks for the newegg info tron. The deal seemed so good I went ahead and ordered a copy even though I wont be upgrading for awhile

not a problem... when do you plan to upgrade, and what will you be upgrading?

here's what i ordered: a 360-watt power supply (gotta plug in the FX card - no way i'm taking the hit if it isn't plugged in), the 5600 ultra, and windows xp home - all for $350 with shipping and extended warranties on everything, plus they threw in a free T-shirt! oh yeah - and i placed the order at 4:40pm and they had it packaged and at fed-ex by 5:05pm. cool of them to make sure it went out on friday (i didn't pay for expedited shipping, just normal fedex ground) so it could be in transit over the weekend (going from CA to OH)... i'll get it probably 2 days sooner because of that. most places i've dealt with just wait until monday on late friday orders. that's why i love newegg.

i really can't afford it right now, but i know my current vid card is wonky, and there is something else wrong somewhere. for example: i was playing through Q2 MP1 and cruising along just fine and then the next day none of my saved games will load... then Q2 won't load - even after a re-install. that and other oddness made me buy a new HD from best buy (great deal - 80GB western digital special edition for $50 after rebates!) and this stuff from newegg. since i don't know the exact problem i might as well fix everything it might possibly be!

my justification is that i need my machine to work properly for school which starts monday. i'm taking an internet class, and i'll be doing the homework from all my other classes on this rig. i cannot afford for it to decide not to load saved essays and homework, or possibly crash big time and ruin my internet class.

every excuse is a good excuse to upgrade! my only regret is that usually i buy the best video card out at the time - or at least one of the top 2 or 3... this time i just couldn't afford a 9700 pro, or 9800, or a FX5900... : Sigh : oh well, the 5600 ultra should be waaaay better than the radeon 8500 i have right now.

- McG -

---
-colin mochrie
This comment was edited on Aug 16, 00:39.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

53. Re: Have a good week Aug 15, 2003, 22:46 tron

I'll be away until next Saturday. I'm off to the beach

have a great vacation Bronco!!!

- McG -

---
-colin mochrie

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

45. Re: Blackout :( Aug 15, 2003, 22:04 tron

i'm on the fifth floor, and i too was without water (even for the toilet)... however i was only without for 14 hours. and hey - we had a fire alarm also, 5 minutes after the power first went out, though it was a false alarm. good luck to you though - after my power came on it stayed on, maybe you'll have the same good fortune.

hang in there dantastic!

- McG -

---
-colin mochrie

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

41. Re: win XP deal? Aug 15, 2003, 21:03 tron

a lot of people are happy with newegg.com

i have bought the majority of my last two systems from newegg.com and had no problems. great prices, fast delivery, good packaging, excellent customer service. as an example the card i'm buying is an EVGA FX 5600 Ultra 128 MB... at newegg it's $199, $50 cheaper than EVGA.com sells it for - and $10 cheaper than the EVGA Members price.

- McG -

---
-colin mochrie

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

38. Re: win XP deal? Aug 15, 2003, 19:14 tron

hey warpig....

all I'm seeing at newegg is the XP Pro OEM
type this into the newegg search: N82E16837102141

why I would need XP Pro over XP Home
this site should tell you all you need to know:
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp
as for me, i'd prefer Pro, but would even more prefer to save $50!

- McG -

---
-colin mochrie

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

32. Re: win XP deal? Aug 15, 2003, 16:13 tron

Hopefully the flip chip cards will go down in price

www.firingsquad.com has an awesome review of the evga 5600 ultra posted. newegg is selling it for only $199. i dunno what your price range is, but this a great deal considering the original msrp on the card was $299.

- McG -

---
-colin mochrie

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

29. Re: win XP deal? Aug 15, 2003, 15:27 tron

get the upgrade

that's really excellent advice and info Bronco - the thing that sucks is newegg doesn't have an upgrade version and the cheapest i've seen the upgrade elsewhere is $88, whereas the newegg full version is only $93, with free shipping.

unless you (or anyone else) know(s) of a place to get the upgrade pretty cheap, i'm going to place my order for XP and an evga FX ultra 5600 128 MB card tonight...

- McG -

---
-colin mochrie

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

24. Re: win XP deal? Aug 15, 2003, 14:11 tron

go with NewEgg.com. It's $93 plus...

is that the full version - not the upgrade? i went and looked and it doesn't say that it is either one. i'm assuming it's the full version though, since it's OEM. thanks a million (what the hell, thanks a BILLION) for pointing this out to me, starhawk - i'm already preparing to buy a grfx card from newegg, but never bothered to look at their software deals - it's cheaper and i'll save on shipping! gotta love the newegg....

- McG -

---
-colin mochrie

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

11. win XP deal? Aug 15, 2003, 12:11 tron

ok peoples, i found this guy selling the Windows XP full home version OEM for $99.77. what i'm wondering is: what is missing from the OEM vs. the retail edition. check the link and let me know if anything looks fishy or if this is a legit great deal... he has a five-star rating (with over 700 votes) at amazon.com...
http://www.gb.gs/

any help is appreciated.

- McG -

---
-colin mochrie

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

50. Re: blackout Aug 15, 2003, 07:13 tron

i live outside of cleveland and our power just came back on within and hour or two... the thing that sucked the worst is that there was no water here as well because the pumps that pump it out of lake erie were shut down. it made for one long, hot, humid, and boring evening. at least it's over. i read that some people in michigan will have to go the weekend without power...

btw, fredrickson, i've always enjoyed your posts (well, some of them) but your request for "Live vooverage" of the blackout is now my all-time favorite. sounds like a sign you'd see on a strip club: "Live Vooverage! Every Friday at Midnight!!"

- McG -

---
-colin mochrie

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

11. Re: Q Aug 14, 2003, 12:16 tron

John De Lancie is on that list.

i noticed! i'd love to mess with some of my trek-geek pals, but no way am i paying $30 for the custom message, and i'm sure the pre-written ones are lame. oh well... too bad.

- McG -

---
-colin mochrie

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

846 Comments. 43 pages. Viewing page 38.
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo