Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for walter westinghouse

Real Name walter westinghouse   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname tron
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description a blue, glowing, computer-simulated entity
Homepage http://www.3dgamersedge.com
Signed On Dec 5, 2002, 04:35
Total Comments 845 (Graduate)
User ID 15445

User comment history
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
64. Re: No subject Aug 23, 2003, 20:39 tron

the quote from me in fredrickson's sig was legit too

i didn't even know he quoted you, i know it said something about you being the "sweetest thing" though... and hey - i never said i wanted him banned. but i do believe that proper behavior is desirable. about 3 years ago i actually wrote an article on "forum etiquette" for a website. it's something i believe in. i would think that even his most ardent supporters would agree that he has been out-of-line the last week or two.

tron, have you tried tron 2.0 yet? fun times!

is it out in stores now? if so, i have got to buy it... my handle kind of obligates me to play! i've been going as "tron" online for 7 years now... actually saw tron in the theater with my dad. i can remember being 12 and we're in the theater and he's explaining "bits" and binary systems to me... computers were not a common entity back then. i'll be checking the ads in the paper tomorrow for the game. thanks for the heads-up!

- McG -

---
"I'll be your lightning rod of hate!"
-colin mochrie

- tron -
---
"tron is big and tron is full of action... it's a hell of a ride!"
-from the Tron 2.0 box
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

60. Re: No subject Aug 23, 2003, 20:22 tron

that chat thing fredster's signature was real

ok... my mistake. sorry about that! and yeah, i know he's pretty strange. i used to think his "other personality" was just a spoof and i found some of his posts to be hilarious. like when he asked for live "vooverage" of the blackout, and one time he posted simply "eub my nub"... that stuff kinda cracked me up. but lately he's just pushing people's buttons, and i got sick of it. i enjoy strange characters - i've been one myself on many many occasions... but strangeness to entertain people is one thing - what he has been doing is another.

- McG -

---
-colin mochrie

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

58. Re: No subject Aug 23, 2003, 20:08 tron

I wouldn't blame Blue in the least if he did away with forums entirely

i hope not, JM... i got a lot of great info and help these last two weeks as i upgraded my system. there are some really excellent people posting here. i just hope that some order and common sense comes into play and these forums can be a tool for entertainment and communication and information. not merely a soap-box for every bizarre expression of insanity, cruelty, and name-calling that some people wish to conjure up.

- McG -

---
-colin mochrie

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

49. Re: Be nice to me Aug 23, 2003, 18:54 tron

Jesus would turn the other cheek

when a temple was being used as a marketplace, Jesus went through it knocking over tables and kicking people out. everyone has tolerance limits.

- McG -

---
-colin mochrie

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

47. Re: Be nice to me Aug 23, 2003, 18:46 tron

everyone is trying to insult me and my family

in your sig you call enahs a "little bitch", you have a fake "chat" with bunko prostituting himself, and you ask blue about his sex life. now exactly WHO is insulting people around here?

i am just trying to express myself

so am i, and what i am expressing is that I AM SICK OF YOU.

people want to hurt me

you viciously attack anyone who doesn't like your idiocy. YOU WANT TO HURT PEOPLE. is it OK for you and not everyone else? if so, then SHUT UP HYPOCRITE.

i think that is a sign of an intolerable society

do you mean intolerant? if not, and it is intolerable to you THEN GET THE FUCK OUT.

you are obviously somewhat intelligent as you have made cogent posts in the past, yet 90% of the time you act like a mentally challenged ten year old. since you have the brains to be reasonable at times it means one of two things. you are either schizophrenic or you are faking it. if you are faking it then that means YOU are INTENTIONALLY fucking with people in here. we complain that your sig is too long, so you make it longer and more annoying. we complain that you talk about blue jerking off, so you put it in your sig. YOU PURPOSELY GO OUT OF YOUR WAY TO MESS WITH PEOPLE IN HERE. so: if you are truly schizophrenic i appologize to you and hope you seek professional help...

...otherwise SHUT THE FUCK UP UNLESS YOU HAVE SOMETHING WORTHWHILE TO SAY.

- McG -

---
-colin mochrie
This comment was edited on Aug 23, 18:50.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

125. Re: XP! 5600 Ultra! Aug 23, 2003, 17:48 tron

thats odd... i wonder why my windows directories are so big..

temporary internet files? i set up IE to delete all files every time i close my browser...

- McG -

---
-colin mochrie

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

26. Re: Is it possible? Aug 23, 2003, 16:39 tron

Congress shall make no law

congress didn't make a law, and no one is asking them to. what people are asking for is for you to stop acting like a dumb-ass.

- McG -

---
-colin mochrie

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

24. Re: Is it possible? Aug 23, 2003, 16:27 tron

can I have power to delete just freddies post?

in the past i have stood up for fred's right to be an idiot in here - but the last week has changed my mind. i can't for the life of me figure out why blue tolerates it anymore. now i know why so many sites have so many forum rules. i am SICK AND FUCKING TIRED of reading (or should i say scrolling past) fred's dumb-ass signatures and hearing soupkin's deragatory and anti-christian comments. if the people in here can't have the slightest shred of respect for other people's feelings and religious and political belief systems then i'm out of here.

- McG -

---
-colin mochrie

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

13. Re: 5600 ultra Aug 23, 2003, 15:02 tron

I really hated that horrible, jerky 316

lol! good one... yeah, i know i should be using something more up-to-date, but i don't know how... know of a good place for me to learn how to use Dungeon Siege, Unreal 2, Serious SAM, etc... as benchmarking tools?

- McG -

---
-colin mochrie

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

7. 5600 ultra Aug 23, 2003, 14:40 tron

hey bunko - good news for ya. from what i have read the evga 5600 ultra cards are using memory rated at 900mhz but only running it at 800. i went and installed the coolbits reg.ed. and overclocked the card's memory from 800 up to 850 (at 875 it failed when i used the "test this setting" button) where it is running stable. it increased my Q2 fps from 316 and 304 (on DEMO1 and DEMO2) up to 324 and 319. i'm impressed that the more-intensive demo 2 went up a respectable 15 fps.

good to know, eh?

- McG -

---
-colin mochrie

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

119. Re: XP! 5600 Ultra! Aug 23, 2003, 13:33 tron

Well, I did a little extra reading on NTFS this morning

hey, thanks a lot indiv! i appreciate all the info... i have a partition that right now is empty that i could put NTFS games on and benchmark them against the FAT32 drive.. and am i correct in assuming that you're saying i can go from FAT32 => NTFS without losing the data on a drive??

speaking of benchmarks... i know how to benchmark on Q2 but not many of the newer games being used like Dungeon Siege and Serious SAM and Unreal 2... anyone know of a good resource for finding out how to use these kinds of games as benchmarking tools?

- McG -

---
-colin mochrie

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

115. Re: XP! 5600 Ultra! Aug 23, 2003, 12:13 tron

---- HI Rain-X ----

lol... i just now noticed your sig... :o:D:o

- McG -

---
-colin mochrie

This comment was edited on Aug 23, 12:14.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

114. Re: XP! 5600 Ultra! Aug 23, 2003, 12:09 tron

are you sure that only 9 gigs for your OS is enough? I use XP pro and my windows folder and documents and settings folder is 13 gigs

holy crap! yeah, 9 is plenty for me, i only had 2GB for Win98. however, i don't let windows put everything into the My Documents folder that it wants to. no movies, or music, or pictures, or programs in there... just school papers and other documents for me. stuff like pictures and movies/movie trailers get added and erased and moved around a lot, so i keep them on a "downloads" partition that i defrag more often. i install small apps to the OS partition, like DAP and WinZip, and i have my NVIDIA tech demos in there... but all big apps like Easy CD Creator go into the APPS partition. even with 1GB of NVIDIA demos on my OS drive, i only have 4.3GB (4.4GB free) used so far. i like to leave about 1GB for the swap file... i can't imagine what else i'd put in the OS partition that will be over 3GB...?

- McG -

---
-colin mochrie

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

111. Re: XP! 5600 Ultra! Aug 23, 2003, 11:44 tron

so what is wrong with having 1 partition? i never understood why i'd need more than 1

nothing is wrong with it! i don't need more than one - but i like it. first of all, i like putting my OS on it's own partition so that if i need to reinstall the OS i only need to format one small section. also, if i need to do that i don't have to back-up everything else, it is all safe on it's own partition. secondly, think of it as an organizational heirarchy one step above folders. i know which drive my OS is in, which my APPS are in, which my games are in, which my downloads are in, music... etc... and of course, defragging is faster on smaller drives. my OS partition doesn't need to be defragged as much as my downloads partition, for example.

1. also lets say i had more than one on my 80 gig drive and say i was running low on space and needed to install something that was 2 gigs. what if i had 1.5 gigs on each drive?

hmm... no you couldn't do that. a program can't be on 2 partitions at once. however, what are the chances of that happening? just put the program on whichever partition it fits on... and if it doesn't fit on either - then it's time for a bigger drive!

- McG -

---
-colin mochrie

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

107. Re: XP! 5600 Ultra! Aug 23, 2003, 10:32 tron

I just assumed that you lost 20 gigs when you said you partitioned your 80GB hard drive into 2 30GB partitions

oh... i see. no, i made a 9GB OS drive, a 9GB APPS drive, and then i wanted a 1GB SWAP and the rest for games. but, i had to leave out the SWAP drive and make 2 smaller games drives so i could format in FAT32... ended up as 8.77GB, 8.77GB, 29.2GB, and 27.6GB. adds up to close to 75GB.

I don't know who told you that the access time is slower, because it's not

hmmmm... well, actually i was watching TechTV and Leo gave a big lecture about how the structure of NTFS was more stable and whatnot, but he made it clear that it had slower access times than FAT32... he even specifically said that FAT32 was better for gamers. now i don't know what to believe. Leo is supposed to know his stuff, but you sound like you know what you're talking about as well.

here's a question: can you have FAT32 in one partition and NTFS in another? if so - would it cause any problems?

- McG -

---
-colin mochrie

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

91. Re: forum problems Aug 22, 2003, 21:10 tron

anyone else getting a huge CPU hit on page 5 of these comments

yup - me too... probably trying to process all those damn smilies...

- McG -

---
-colin mochrie

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

80. Re: XP! 5600 Ultra! Aug 22, 2003, 19:25 tron

hey wasrad, i posted all that back on #7 !

just for you, though: P4 1.9, 512MB PC2700 RAM. 80MB WD HDD (w/ 8MB cache), XP OS.

that good enough for ya?

- McG -

---
-colin mochrie

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

78. Re: XP! 5600 Ultra! Aug 22, 2003, 19:17 tron

heh... i didn't see your hidden text either!

The card at pc-beyond.com isn't the Ultra

yeah... you're right. what the?? someone at pricewatch.com better wake up - it's listed under the 5600 ultra link at their site! the cheapest i see the ultra for is over $190, but a couple places managed to use the system to get regular 5600's listed in with the ultras. lame.

follow-up on the 5600 ultra performance: i just played the entire first mission of Unreal 2 with all setting maxxed as described earlier... no slow-downs anywhere at any time. i'm very pleased i am seriously wondering how this card will handle DOOM 3 and HL2 though... the Unreal 2 box states that the Radeon 8500 (or higher) was the recommended card, and the min. requirement was a 32MB GF2 MX. i played it on my 8500, and i wasn't happy at all. i stopped after a few missions so i could play it on a better card... hope i don't have to do the same with D3 and HL2.

btw, am i the only one that thinks Unreal 2 is a good game? i never saw it get a fair review... everyone seems to try and compare it to the original, which is pointless. two different games, two diffent eras, and Unreal was massively over-rated anyway. it was a good game, but not the ultimate game some people made it out to be.

- McG -

---
-colin mochrie

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

68. Re: XP! 5600 Ultra! Aug 22, 2003, 17:45 tron

Thanks for the advice, tron. The 5600 Ultra was my #1 pick. I'm definately grabbing it now.

i hope you love it as much as i do! dunno if you heard me say it or not before - but newegg.com has it for $199 right now and free shipping, the best price i could find for it. well, for the EVGA version i bought anyway, i've always liked EVGA stuff - good quality. though i see that pc-beyond.com has a gainward ultra 5600 for only $128 with $10 shipping... and i have used them in the past and they shipped fast and delivered as promised. duuno about the gainward card though... haven't seen any reviews.

what kind of system are you putting it into - and what card are you replacing?

- McG -

---
-colin mochrie

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

42. Re: XP! 5600 Ultra! Aug 22, 2003, 15:52 tron

NTFS is far superior to FAT. You realize that you lost 20GB of space on your hard drive

i know it's better, more stable and all that... but it is a little bit slower when it comes to access-times for 3D gaming, which i do a lot of. and no, i didn't lose 20GB! i lost about 6GB... which is fine with me since i have an 80 and a 40, i doubt i'll be filling up 120GB any time soon, and by the time i get there it'll be time for a new system!

- McG -

---
-colin mochrie

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

845 Comments. 43 pages. Viewing page 37.
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo