Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for walter westinghouse

Real Name walter westinghouse   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname tron
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description a blue, glowing, computer-simulated entity
Homepage http://www.3dgamersedge.com
Signed On Dec 5, 2002, 04:35
Total Comments 846 (Graduate)
User ID 15445

User comment history
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Misc. Jun 3, 2004, 12:14 tron

Can't wait to see MM's flick.

hopefully it is an actual documentary this time, not a cut-n-paste fest like BFC.

shameless self promotion: happy b-day to me!

- tron -
---
"tron is big and tron is full of action"
-from the Tron 2.0 box

- tron -
---
"tron is big and tron is full of action... it's a hell of a ride!"
-from the Tron 2.0 box
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Commandos Strike Force
5. rock Jun 1, 2004, 20:29 tron

if only it had a "cheat commandos" mode.

rock, rock on!

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

News Comments > etc.
23. Re: quick fix May 24, 2004, 18:05 tron

k, now I see that I should just STFU and let tron handle this, since he says it all, and doesn't require a novel to do so

no! this (for me) has been one of the better threads around here lately - and i have learned a lot by listening to (most) everyone who has posted. your thoughts are all very valid, and i agree with what you have to say. it's also nice to see someone agreeing with me here, and taking these ideas and putting them in a more practical (and real-world)(and hilarious) perspective.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

News Comments > etc.
21. Re: quick fix May 24, 2004, 16:40 tron

What if the "reason" is just because you're a psychopath? What if the reason you're killing stroggs on their home planet is because you're attempting to enslave their race, or because the people think cruelty to stroggs makes good TV? Something tells me the author of the article wouldn't be satisfied by these "reasons" because they don't morally coincide with his viewpoints.

good point. however, i do not believe the author would want such a game to be banned (as i would not) despite it being contrary to his own (and my own) morality.

what i do think he would like are games where the reasons (and rewards) for being good are explored. i agree with your last 2 paragraphs 100%... but i still don't see why people are rallying against this article. is asking for games with a good morality a bad thing?

after reading this thread, i do more clearly see the point of blue (and others) and can understand how this could be taken as a starting point for censorship and whatnot. i, however, do not see it as such - but view it rather as a call for people to think about actions and consequences. maybe it is becuase i have never been drawn to the allure of playing the role of the "bad guy" (even in a fantasy setting) and personally wouldn't mind if the desire for such games did not exist in our culture.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

News Comments > etc.
17. Re: quick fix May 24, 2004, 15:34 tron

Let game makers make their games, let the ratings people label them approprately, let the reviewers inform you about the content so you can decide whether you want to play them or whether you think they are appropriate for your children.

agreed, 100% - but read my previous post to see why i still think the author of that article was right, and why no one should have any worries about what he suggests.

Does that mean that the ones that do not should not be permitted to exist?

he never asked for that. he expressed a hope that people would *choose* not to make such games.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

News Comments > etc.
16. Re: quick fix May 24, 2004, 15:30 tron

I am not against game makers making games with better and more intelligent stories. I am just against someone suggesting that all games adhere to some arbitrary interpretation of "morality."

i brought up "morality", what the author of the article is asking for is "reason" - a reason for doing what you are doing in the game. if you are killing, why? an intelligent adult can deathmatch away without consequence (i hope), whereas a child is still being formed. senseless violence can (imo) warp a developing mind. violence with reason behind it at least causes one to think, to know why one is doing what they are doing.

but i think the main point is: the author NEVER asked for censorship or restriction of ANY KIND. what he did ask for is that people think about what they are doing and why. if anyone here is outraged at being asked to THINK about WHAT you do and WHY you do it... well, that just makes me sad.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

18. Re: So, Enahs... May 24, 2004, 13:59 tron

Bubba Ho-Tep (http://www.bubbahotep.com/) comes out tomorrow as well! I so wanted to see it, but no movie theater around here ever got it in.

ohhhhhh yeah!! i cannot wait for this one! i feel stupid though - it was in a theater near me (albeit a crappy one 40 minutes away, and only for a week) and i never went...

for the record, i to have not seen a single episode of the soaprannose - to avoid paying an extra $20 a month for the movie package...

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: avault May 24, 2004, 13:04 tron

So who gets to decide the issues of morality?

well, in art - the individual does. in society, law does (hopefully in a democratic way). i think that hopefully most people will agree that certain things are wrong: rape, killing the innocent, etc... and that when art does depict such actions, at least the audience should understand why it is happening and if it is justifiable, or just wrong.

This just all seems to run afoul of actually supporting freedom of expression (you know, the hard way, where freedom actually means freedom).

yeah... i understand that 100%. i will never support cencorship. i believe that if you don't like something - then don't participate.

I think it should be pretty apparent that I follow a pretty strong moral compass myself, but these things are oten personal issues, and I worry about how Orwellian we've become with rightspeak and rightthink.

it is very apparent how you act in your personal life, as i've been readng ootb for, what... 7 or 8 years now! many of your actions are highly commendable, and i wish more people thought and acted as you do, in regards to looking out for others, being moral, etc... and i too fear being "forced" to do anything... my own way of thinking is that it's bad to force people into things, but it is good to set examples, and occasionally implore others to do likewise.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: avault May 24, 2004, 12:54 tron

There is no rape scenes nor can you commit rape in any of the GTA games.

is that true? i haven't played any GTA, so i only know what i've read. i wonder why people keep saying you can, if you cannot? is there a mod (user created or otherwise), or way to unlock a mode that lets you rape people?

so, in GTA if you kill a civilian the police come for you? there is no way to play the game where you can do as you wish without consequnce? i always liked the Baldur's Gate approach - you kill a guard and you're dead within minutes as you are suddenly overwhelmed by law enforcement...

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: avault May 24, 2004, 11:55 tron

So this is another article that suggests that all games need to be appropriate to children... the same logic would lead to nothing but "G" rated movies.

hmmm... what i got out of it was, he wants the violence in games to have a reason - like in Q2 it's okay to kill strogg because otherwise they enslave humanity. i got the feeling he was against games that reward (or simply ignore) the player when they express violence against innocents. he mentioned GTA allowing rape as an example. i don't think he wants all games to be appropriate for kids, he just wants some morality - so that if your kids find a way to play a game you wouldn't allow in your own home, at least they would be exposed to something with reason - not wanton violence for it's own sake.

i am all for freedom of expression and believe that very little (if anything) in art should be "banned"... but i share the author's view that violence with reason is okay, whereas violence against the innocent is sick. injecting morality into games certainly couldn't lead to anything bad that i can imagine.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

News Comments > etc.
1. avault May 24, 2004, 11:28 tron

blue, did you read this article? nothing in it or the author's bio suggests that he is a parent. also, he presents a very level-headed look at the issue, summed up nicely here:

Developers and publishers, hear my plea: start injecting a strong sense of right and wrong into your stories. I don’t want you to pull back on the gibs, I don’t want anything more than a stronger sense of ethics and perhaps a small dose of moral fiber. Take into account the fact that kids are playing, no matter that they shouldn’t be. Weave into your bullet ballets more than just excessive machismo, make sure that by the end of the day, everyone knows that there was a good reason they’ve been caving in skulls with crowbars.

a far cry from government regulation advocacy - just an exploration of an issue with a dash of his own opinion thrown in. an opinion that is very reasonable, in my opinion...

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

3. you're late! May 19, 2004, 11:34 tron

hey, with these noon updates, you should change the name of the site to Blue's Snooze...

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

16. Re: Sega?? May 18, 2004, 14:33 tron

I guess I'm one of the few who doesn't mind loose adaptations of history/novels, so long as it's entertaining...

i have held this belief for a long time as well. i know many people who will complain incessantly about the slightest alteration, where i consider it to be mere ENTERTAINMENT, not misinformation. besides, these simplified "hollywoodized" versions of historical events can draw in many people who might then possibly research and/or try to learn more about the actual events. "documentary" style films do not draw as many viewers, and tend to draw more people who would already know or be willing to learn the real stories anyway. i'm all for "historical fiction" and wish there was more of it out there. i have Ken Follett's "The Pillars of the Earth" to thank for that.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

News Comments > id's Next Game
67. Re: I LIKE corridor shooters May 15, 2004, 13:28 tron

How can you be more excited about something you've only seen years-old concept art of

because Q2 was one of my favorite all-time games. I loved everything about it. Q4 is basically going to be Q2, part2. and Raven is making it, which is a good thing. all i can think of is Q2 with the D3 engine!

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

9. Re: Where's Trinity? May 14, 2004, 23:01 tron

wasn't trinity supposed to be the new engine after Q3? i'm pretty sure it was, but then they went and did D3.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

6. Re: I LIKE corridor shooters May 14, 2004, 22:51 tron

i like 'em too... but i must admit, i'm more excited about Quake 4 than D3 or this "new project". why has there been no news from E3 about Q4??? i haven't heard or seen a thing about this game other than the concept art that was released ages ago.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

5. balls May 11, 2004, 12:51 tron

it took me 29 seconds to seperate my balls.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

17. Re: nVIDIA full of shit Apr 23, 2004, 13:10 tron

Non-closable ads suck shit. Fucking espn

since you are the second person i've heard make this complaint: i thought the ad wasn't closeable at first as well, but there is a grey "close" link in the bottom left corner of the ad.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

16. Re: NFL draft Apr 23, 2004, 13:07 tron

I'm thinking Slippery Sledding is a repeat? (I still suck at it.)

i sent it to blue back in december, but he didn't post it so i posted it to the ootb forums. the trick to the game is to do as many consecutive jumps as possible, as each increases your multiplier. it's fun until level 4 or 5 (whichever it is) when it turns into a whole different game based solely on manuevering...

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

11. Re: Not to worry here. Apr 14, 2004, 12:03 tron

the flood of yellow press releases didn't bother me at all... i prefer to get all the info in one place if possible, so not having to go to an external link is in my best interest.

it's a positive thing as it keeps traffic here rather than leaving to read the press release somewhere else.

hmmm.. another way to look at it is: if people leave to go read a press release, they will likely return to blue's later, generating another page view...

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

846 Comments. 43 pages. Viewing page 28.
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo