Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for walter westinghouse

Real Name walter westinghouse   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname tron
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description a blue, glowing, computer-simulated entity
Homepage http://www.3dgamersedge.com
Signed On Dec 5, 2002, 04:35
Total Comments 846 (Graduate)
User ID 15445

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
114. Re: Books vs Movies Jul 30, 2004, 21:02 tron

SCREW YOU, MATTHEW, AND THE POP TART YOU HAD THIS MORNING!?!

damn right i had a pop-tart, i ain't no fruit roll-up eatin' communist!!!

You know, if somebody is truly right/all-knowing/correct/glorious/1337...one does wonder why these individuals so often belittle others rather than being comfortable with their own self and doing what they can to help others.

AMEN!

as for DOOM 3, i can only weep that my system is just a wee, wee bit below the specs that make it playable at 1024x768 at Medium quality... my processor is just 500 mhz too slow, my memory needs to be doubled up to 1 GB, and my video card needs to evolve from a 5600ultra to a 5700 ultra, by magic... or i gotta spend a good $500 to make all that happen... carn-sarn-frikkin-frakkin-son-of-a-frapper-sapper!!!

maybe i should grab BG&E instead of D3... whaddaya think, Ray?

This comment was edited on Jul 30, 21:03.

- tron -
---
"tron is big and tron is full of action... it's a hell of a ride!"
-from the Tron 2.0 box
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

106. Re: Books vs Movies Jul 30, 2004, 20:35 tron

Newsflash, sport, you aren't qualified.

oh dear, i'll go crawl back into my hole now...

It pisses you off to no end that someone who is diametrically opposed to you and your views is consistently right - and PROVES it - and you're consistently wrong. Like the rest of you undereducated clowns on the right you're simply to proud to admit it.

huh... i didn't know i was on the right politically. well, if you say i am then i must be! please tell me more about myself, o great fountain of knowledge!!! geee... i was even starting to think about voting for Kerry in november, but now that you have told me who i really am, i will do my civic duty for my party and vote for Bush!!

by the way, *please* tell me when i have *ever* slammed those of you on the left? and prove it...

and you ask me to stay out of your discussion? i never even entered it - i was talking to josh and idiv, not you. if you are so tired of me, then ignore me! you can do it while reading the george r.r. martin book you think is coming out next week!

and nothing you have ever said has "pissed me off to no end" - you're the one getting mad and cursing at me and insulting me... meanwhile, i find it all quite amusing.

This comment was edited on Jul 30, 20:36.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

103. Re: WAS: Books vs Movies Jul 30, 2004, 20:08 tron

Anybody got any other good suggestions for old (read: last year) games I should go back and play that I might have missed?

did you play MoH Allied Assault? or Neverwinter Nights and it's expansions? Unreal 2 was a bit better than most give it credit for... and Tron 2.0 was great, but i got to a map that had some extreme jumping puzzle that frustrated me to the point where i stopped playing... maybe i should go try and finish it now that i'm unemployed and have plenty o' free time!

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

101. Re: Books vs Movies Jul 30, 2004, 19:51 tron

indiv:1
Halsy:0

halsy always thinks he wins because he argues with himself, not with others. he skips any points he doesn't want to or cannot deal with and focuses in those he can (usually picking points that have 2 distinct sides, with no real way to prove either as being 'right'). then he tells you what you are thinking so that he can attack the thoughts he fabricated for you. if all of that fails, he insults your intelligence - making you stupid and worthless (in his mind) so that he can put on his standard show of disbelief that he is wasting his massive intellect on such a petty person. the thing i cannot decide is if it's all an act and he's laughing to himself - or if it is sincere. either way, there is no point in talking to him unless you are going to agree, or discuss something far removed from politics.

This comment was edited on Jul 30, 19:52.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

44. Re: Books vs Movies Jul 30, 2004, 13:51 tron

Why do the subject lines of posts keep getting changed back to "Re: Books vs Movies"? Wasn't that a few days ago?

i noticed that too... and Bronco said something as well... i guess the movie is better when the book is based on the movie, and the book is better when the movie is based on the book. now i just need a book about movies based on books...

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

33. Re: O.T. Jul 30, 2004, 12:54 tron

Cool! I want to upgrade my CPU, but not replace the RAM ...

depends on how your mobo works too... on mine, it takes the clock from my cpu fsb and uses it for the RAM, if my ram is different from the cpu speed, i have to set my BIOS to a ratio that makes them both run at optimal... otherwise it slows the RAM down to run with the CPU... i found this all out after i ran my PC2700 RAM at PC1600 speed for a few weeks after i first built this rig.

This comment was edited on Jul 30, 12:55.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

32. Re: Books vs Movies Jul 30, 2004, 12:50 tron

I have to agree with something I read on Drudge a few months ago: If Kerry loses, it's his own damn fault. The opportunity is certainly there, but what he chooses to do with it will make or break him.

true, nin. speaking as someone who is still not sure who to vote for - i am waiting for kerry to make his case that he is at least the lesser of 2 evils. i think i will know for sure after i see the debates take place.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

15. Re: No subject Jul 30, 2004, 11:44 tron

12. Telling me "The flywheel in the computer needs to be oiled" = User is a F$%*ing moron (= bad).

okay, nin - i gotta know... what the hell did this person really mean???

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

138. Re: Books vs Movies Jul 29, 2004, 00:14 tron

Good luck man.

thanks WarPig!!

btw, i *love* the Mr. Burns quote in your sig...

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

136. Re: Well Jul 28, 2004, 23:29 tron

NSi,

yeah, i agree that things were simpler back then - but people were still people, and i think humans deserve some credit. personally, i find it hard to believe that in *any* time in our history someone could come around, claim to be God incarnate and get away with it, unless they were able to back it up somehow. but, this once again centers around the idea of faith. either you think the whole thing is a bunch of crap, or you somehow believe it. as for me, there have been too many moments in my life where what some people might call "amazing coincidences" happened to me, but i believe were divinely inspired. and these things always seemed to happen as i was deeply contemplating religion. as a small example, one night around 3am i'm driving home in the rain going down a winding road at 45mph... i was not christian at that time, but was deep in thought about spiritual things. suddenly, as i went around a rather sharp turn, my car skidded out just a bit, enough to scare me, but not in a terrifying way. at that *exact* moment the radio DJ said "and if you're out there driving in this rain, be careful around those curves!" and chills went down my spine... now, i know most people will say it was coincidence or whatever, but i know exactly how i felt at that moment and where my state of mind was and it felt exactly as if God was showing me that he was out there, watchong out for me. laugh if you will, but this happened... and i choose to interpret it the way i do.

moments like that solidified my belief in God, C.S. Lewis' book "Mere Christianity" solidified my christian beliefs... let me suffice to say this. there are tons of people out there with tons of evidence and ideas and whatever that they say proves christ was a fraud. there are an equal number of people out there with tons of evidence and ideas and whatever that they say proves christ was genuine. you gotta to choose to believe one group or the other. i have made my choice, no one is gonna talk me out of it unless they are able to come up with irrefutable evidence to the contrary that i cannot help but believe. persoanlly (like nin says) i think god keeps us in the dark and will never let us "pin him down" because it forces us to think about things, and find our own way. read John Updike's book "Roger's Version" if you are interested in this type of thing. it centers around a priest and a computer graphics programmer who hotly debate the existence of God and whether or not it can ever be proven one way or the other. great reading...

so, i cannot refute your reasoning, but i do not share in it. it is your own to do with as you wish! hopefully there are no hard feelings, i wasn't trying to belittle your argument... this is just exhausting stuff and i didn't have the energy to fully explore your post earlier today!

peace to you!

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

134. Re: Books vs Movies Jul 28, 2004, 21:45 tron

I hadn't heard this, but I do hope it works out for you. I've been unemployed for 3-4 months at a time at least twice in the past few years, and I know it's a scary and depressing time. Good luck!

thanks, nin.. you're right, it is both depressing and scary... and hopefully it's over soon!

i enjoyed reading your theory, and you're right, it's not too far off from my own. and here's my contribution to lightening things up a bit, my horoscope from this week's Onion:

Gemini: (May 21óJune 21)
Your belief that God does not play dice with the universe will be tested by the discovery of a 10,000-mile-long craps table on Jupiter.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

132. Re: Books vs Movies Jul 28, 2004, 21:03 tron

do you really think you would still believe in what you now believe is "The Truth"?

now that's a tricky question. as Dan Brown says - "we worship the Gods of our fathers"... however, there is the snag that goes this way: if i wasn't born under the circumstances that i was born into... well, then i wouldn't even be *me*... i'd be someone else - get it?

if there were a one true God that he could have and would have been able to make it crystal clear to everyone what's really going on

but that would eliminate Faith! if we all *knew* what the truth was, there would be no questions, no need for free will and all that. we would all do the same thing because we would all know it was *right*. and maybe all roads do lead to the same God... as i've said before though, to me the most important thing for me is to keep trying to figure out your own truth. other religions, killing in the name of God, aetheism, all that stuff is beyond my ability to fully understand. so, i don't worry about it. that may sound foolish or ignorant to some, but it works for me.

honestly, i have no idea why faith is such an important thing for God to require of us. it's a mystery to me. maybe someone else in here can shed some light?

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

129. Re: No subject Jul 28, 2004, 19:46 tron

Good post on your part...

wow, thanks, nin! i don't get many compliments on my religious-themed posts around here! i think that often the most important thing anyone can do is just keep looking for answers within yourself and be true to what you feel is right for you...

and i have to say i find it funny that blue named this thread "bourne again", long before it evolved into the conversation we're having now!

as some of y'all may know, i've been out of work for 2 months now - but i just got off the phone with someone with a *great* job opportunity... wish me luck!

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

126. Re: No subject Jul 28, 2004, 18:55 tron

If the universe is so grand that it requires this magical presence...why does that same rule not apply to an even more grand things that can create such a universe?

the bible never says it can't... it never tackles the concept of where God comes from. imo, it doesn't even really matter - i figure i find out after i leave this portion of my life.

and i also never think of God as being "magical", but rather technical. if he created this earth, then i imagine he must be pretty technically adept (by our definition).

as for myself, i was raised Baptist, but rejected it in my late teens. i stayed agnostic/aetheist until my mid 20's when i began to research religion on my own. now in my early 30's i see christianity in a way that makes sense to me - well, at least 90% of it makes sense. i don't have any religion vs. science problems, nor do i view God as some magical mystery being... i just figure that he created our life much the same way we create computer programs... only he came up with sentient beings to put in his mmorpg!

Can I explain the universe? Do I know what life is? Do I know what, if anything, there is before and after this "life?"

being christian doesn't answer any of those questions for me. as far as i can tell, life is many many different things for each of us. for me, it is at times a test, a school, or just a playground. as for after-life... the bible really doesn't say too much about that either. heaven is never really described, and hell is only mentioned 5 times or so... and never described either. what i get out of it is that: the soul lives on after life on earth ends, and God is benevolent, so the afterlife should be pretty darn good. while i'm here on earth i think most of christianity boils down to the simple idea of "do unto others as you'd have then do unto you". i don't get caught up in all that stuff about how old the earth *really* is, or if every story in the bible is 100% accurate fact. to me, those details don't matter much... i'm far from perfect and i don't need to know it all, i just mostly worry about myself and how i treat others.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

122. Re: Well Jul 28, 2004, 17:04 tron

The world back then was VERY simple... there were no books, no experts, no communication

as can be seen in what the ancient Egyptian society accomplished...? go do some basic research on the ancient Egyptian culture, you'd be amazed at what they were up to. you know, they used trigonometry to build the pyramids, determining the proper angles... all this before Jesus' time. you give them too little credit, i think.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

32. Re: OMFG! Jul 28, 2004, 14:36 tron

I just remembered that George R.R. Martin's A Feast For Crows ships next tuesday!!! Man, seems like it's taken forever to get here. I'm so stoked!

no it isn't...
http://www.georgerrmartin.com/nextbook.html

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

119. Re: No subject Jul 28, 2004, 12:05 tron

i'm not going to respond to everything said against me, but i do want to make a comment or two.

i DO NOT have any desire to force my views on ANYONE. i am a firm believer that people should have the freedom to choose their own religion, or none at all. however, i will state what I believe in, which in no way indicates that i think everyone should think like me.

Halsy: protestants *are* christians! also, you make a LOT of false accusations about the way i think, and how i was raised. i approached you to try and understand what you thought - you approached me by telling me what i think. c'mon, man - if you are going to tell me what i think (when you have no way of knowing) then why should we even talk?

AthlonSteve: i follow the logic of C.S. Lewis that he wrote in "Mere Christianity". Lewis was an outspoken aetheist who later in life disproved his own beliefs and found a logical argument in favor of God. Mere Christianity is an excellent book describing what the religion is at it's most basic level.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

16. Re: No subject Jul 28, 2004, 11:56 tron

happy B-day, Ray!!  
- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

98. Re: No subject Jul 28, 2004, 00:45 tron

Why not? The government is clearly favoring 1 religion over ever other.

you are right. i am christian, and this country was founded by christians, to support the free worship of chritianity... but this country has also evolved... our constitution was written when the only religion around was christianity (here in this country i mean) so to place such symbols (free of ties to any sect of christianity) was acceptable. however, i still cannot see a good reason to remove such long standing symbols. surely no one has anything to fear from them. they have not stopped anyone from worshiping as they see fit. they cannot force anyone to go against their own free will. what is the *true* danger behind having the logo of the christian cross as part of some seal or ornament? especially since those they try to remove always seem to be part of some obscure little-known municipalitie's seal? i can see not having the cross imprinted on, say, our flag... but c'mon...

what does bother me is when they try to remove the word "God" from things. "God" is a nebulous concept which endorses no particular faith. though it saddens me, i cannot argue the logic behind removing christian symbology from state propoganda. however, by removing a free to interpret word/concept like "God" i feel a great disservice is being done. i cannot and will not ever agree that aetheism is acceptable. even most aetheisits that i know seem to all agree that there must be "something" beyond human, yet for some reason they balk at calling it "God"... i have no idea why. and the true aetheist who believes in nothing at all beyond earth and human... well, i simply cannot understand that.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

92. Re: Books vs Movies Jul 27, 2004, 22:50 tron

"my way or the highway". He's not sensitive to how other nations perceive us, and if they don't agree, then he'll go it alone.

true - and i view that aspect of his character as being both a strength and a weakness. a strength in that after 9/11 we needed a leader who whould do what he thought best and be willing to fight and stand alone if need be to accomplish that. it's his weakness in that he sometimes takes it overboard and rushes into conflict based on "facts" that allow him to do what his gut wants him to do, even if those facts haven't been given time to be proven or backed-up.

What I'm trying to say is a president needs to do what's best for his country, and not what he thinks a certain religion would do in that given case. Religion is find and good, but it shouldn't be a presidents only compass, as he's representing a number of religions in this country.

that's the sticky part. how can you or i or anyone know what the guy truly thinks and feels deep down inside? what drives his decisions? i'm sure he's conflicted like all humans are, but he's at least smart enough to appear driven and confident and sure of his path, as a leader needs to appear. for those of us who observe a religion (i have no idea how you stand on that issue, nin) it is a source of constant struggle to integrate those beliefs into an imperfect world, and to try and get along with those who believe differently, and to remain sane enough to not become a zealot.

all-in-all i see bush as a good but flawed individual who had the misfortune to run our country during one of the most stressful and uncertain periods we have faced in a long long time. i surely do not agree with all he does, but i think that overall he's okay. being moderate i'm not inclined to magnify his faults and twist his failures around until he looks like an evil idiot. i'll leave that up to the liberals - it's their job after all!

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

846 Comments. 43 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo