Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for walter westinghouse

Real Name walter westinghouse   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname tron
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description a blue, glowing, computer-simulated entity
Homepage http://www.3dgamersedge.com
Signed On Dec 5, 2002, 04:35
Total Comments 846 (Graduate)
User ID 15445

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
76. Re: Debate Oct 2, 2004, 02:45 tron

I don't know what the cost will be yet because marketing hasn't finished with the focus polling for desired features

thank you! that perfectly puts into analogy what scares me about Kerry... he hints and promises and seems to have confidence, but what if deep down he really is just what you said here - a guy who tries to give you what he thinks you want, and therefore has no true core values or identity. i've had relationships with women like that - they try to give you what they think you want, in hopes that by appeasing some part of you, you will give them what they need. they are always the most frustrating and difficult people to deal with, and you walk away wondering if you ever even really knew them at all. or, if they even know who they are. to have someone with that metality running my country? no way. so, as i've said, Kerry is going to have to dish out a lot more concrete evidence of his identity and value syste before i buy into his leadership.

This comment was edited on Oct 2, 05:25.

- tron -
---
"tron is big and tron is full of action... it's a hell of a ride!"
-from the Tron 2.0 box
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

73. Re: Debate Oct 1, 2004, 23:32 tron

he says:

Warhawk, don't take cheap shots at the ACLU. They're the one organization that actually fights to ensure you have the right to say derogatory things about them

then he says:

And then people like you have the nerve to criticize organizations like the ACLU

how very contradictory. "we fight for your right to insult us... how dare you insult us!"

this is why i'm still uncertain. this is the type of talk that Kerry engages in. says one thing, then says the opposite down the road... i watched the debate, and while Kerry ocassionally seems to be more intelligent, more willing to admit when something has gone wrong, and less focused on personal interests than W, at least W never seems to contradict himself. with Bush, i may not be 100% happy with the product i'm getting, but at least i know what i am getting. with Kerry... i'm not sure what he wants me to buy into. at times he seems like the way to go, but i dunno... i need to watch these debates the rest of the way through... and hope that the choice becomes more clear to me, not more foggy.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

22. cleveland sports woes Sep 30, 2004, 14:50 tron

sure, it's not bad enough that my Browns have lost 7 starters already this year, but now members of the Indians are being *shot* and saved by cheerleader boots?!?
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1891804
...sheesh...

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

21. Re: Random Question Sep 30, 2004, 14:40 tron

Have we seen anything from the new company formed by some big-wigs leaving Blizzard? It's been a while now hasn't it?

funny, i just had this same thought a week ago... i went to their site, but nothing much of interest is posted... reminds me of when those guys left lucasarts and started their own company (something like Infinite Machine or somesuch) and they never did anything... here's hoping Roper and co put something out for us to enjoy someday... here's a link to the site:
http://www.flagshipstudios.com

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

36. Re: Stirring the politcal pot... Sep 28, 2004, 15:16 tron

Comedy Central had no statistics on how many people watch "The Daily Show" stoned.

best quote from the article...

This comment was edited on Sep 28, 15:44.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

34. Re: Instant Mess Sep 28, 2004, 15:14 tron

HERE WE GO! Picture and everything!

thanks, nin!

and i just realized that i'm wearing my "Ministry of Silly Walks" shirt today... what a co-inky-dink!

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

15. Re: Instant Mess Sep 28, 2004, 12:35 tron

has anyone tried Monty Python's Holy GrAle? I saw it at the liquor store a few weekends ago

are you kidding? i'm going to have to try and hunt down a link to the stuf...

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

14. Re: newegg site down? Sep 28, 2004, 12:33 tron

Hey, has anyone else tried to get onto the newegg dot com site in the last coupe of days? They're having a LOT of technical problems - their server was down all of yesterday.

i've had no problems...

Are they located in Florida, by any chance?

nope, they're in CA...

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

37. Re: No subject Sep 26, 2004, 02:06 tron

No, I got to level 20, nothing special, just says you finished.

actually, it says "congratulations, you have successfully completed the game" - which is *way* more satisfying!

and i finsihed with no cheating or mouse flipping... which was really really frustrating on three of the levels...

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Deee-luxe?
18. Re: DVD? Sep 24, 2004, 03:00 tron

So, the original HL wasn't digital? And there is a "master" version out there? Idiots.

of course, man! don't you remember that when the original HL came out it was on vinyl, and took *forever* to install at 33-1/3 RPM... boy, those were the days!

i laughed a bit at that myself... i guess they had to find a way to dumb-down the explaination for the masses who don't know what a game engine is, or have any true understanding of hardware or rendering.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

27. Re: Cat Stevens - Potential Terrorist Sep 23, 2004, 11:40 tron

Potential Terrorist Activity = Being a non christian

don't forget that the loonies exist on both ends of the spectrum. there are radical Christians who want to kill the unbelievers, and radical unbelievers who want to kill the Christians. however, they are the extremists who get the press. the majority of folks on both sides of the fence just want to live in peace and be left alone.

sorry, just had to make a preemptive stike before the Chritian bashing begins.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

43. Re: You're Kidding Me! Sep 22, 2004, 02:44 tron

are actually better than the sparkling new DVD's costing sevety bucks that people have been waiting on pins and needles for?

not even close. they digitally remastered the DVD's, and upgraded the sound to 5.1 DD EX. the picture is immediately noticably superior to the VHS editions, and i mean it is a huge difference. the sound too is noticably vastly improved, and it's nice to finally hear these films in true 5.1 surround. some people complain about the tinkering lucas has done, but many of the fixes in the new set are a relief, such as fixing saber effects. he even somewhat "fixed" the cantia shoot-out scene, by making the shots near simultaneous... still not as cool as in the original, but not as lame as in the special editions either.

also, i paid $42 for mine, not $70 as you claim. and in my book, $42 is well worth the price of three classic films, plus a disc full of extras including a brand new 2 hour documentary. most new DVD's sell for $20 for a single film.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

40. Re: Star Wars Audio Glitches Sep 22, 2004, 00:13 tron

<shrug> time will tell. Probably not enough of us score nuts to cater to.

well, i bought the set today and watched ANH just a few minutes ago... i'm something of an audiophile, but i didn't notice anything distracting, and couldn't tell the score was reversed in the rear channels. of course, i just sat back and enjoyed the film, i didn't make an effort to listen for the problems... fact is, if no one mentioned a problem, i would have never guessed one existed. the film looks and sounds soooo much better that i have ever experienced before. that said, i'll gladly mail my disc in for a replacement if they decide to issue one!

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

7. Re: Auction Sep 11, 2004, 18:16 tron

Isn't the practice of selling votes illegal?

yep... someone else tried this a few weeks ago, and it got pulled. though, actually i'm not sure if it is illegal to sell (or try to sell) a vote, but is sure is illegal to buy one.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever Using DOOM 3 Engine?!
11. Re: Not likely Sep 9, 2004, 22:57 tron

i like the irony of the initials... in sporting events like races and such, DNF stands for "did not finish".

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

News Comments > Carmack on Retirement
31. Re: Whodda guessed .... Sep 9, 2004, 21:48 tron

all we have left is lithtech and the Unreal engine coming out periodically with new stuff. I'm not counting Source or Crytek engines, since I have no idea if they'll keep coming out with new versions or not.

what about the Serious Engine? imo it is the second best engine out there... and the new one looks to be amazing. im not sure why more games weren't made on Serious Engine, probably due to the "newness" of it. i'm counting on the new engine to be a pleasant surprise.

and am i the only one not super-impressed with the Crytek engine? to me it was like a serious sam 1.5 engine... yeah it is cool and all, and the water looks fantastic, but it just didn't seem to be all that "solid" and not much new tech was in it either. the D3 engine at least took a huge technical leap (and anyone who bitches about poly counts or pixelated textures - c'mon, that is NOT new tech, and if the game did have high polys and higher rez textures, you'd all be complaining that the system requirements were out of reach and the frame rates sucked) making it extremely immersive despite it's so-called afore-mentioned "flaws".

carmack and croteam - the best
unreal, crytek, lithtech - very good, but not great
source - remains to be seen, hopefully up there with carmack and croteam.

just my 2-cents.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

News Comments > Carmack on Retirement
13. Re: Whodda guessed .... Sep 9, 2004, 13:27 tron

there are now many talented programmers in the world that are capable of doing what he does

yes, many can make pretty 3D engines, but somehow (for a reason i can't fully explain) Carmack's engines always feel very "real" compared to others. his engines have a certain solid, tangible weight to them as you play that engines like Unreal, FarCry, Lithtech, etc. seem to lack. the next best one is the Serious Sam engine, imo. it has a similar "feel" to it, but still doesn't seem as real as id engines. i am always able to "lose myself" in a id engine game, and forget that i am playing a game.... most other engines fail to do that.

well, even if he does quit after the next engine - at least we can count on a good 2 - 4 years of D3 engine games ahead of us, and then the new id game in 2007(?) followed by another several years of games designed on that engine.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

35. Re: alternate LotD/Playtime Sep 7, 2004, 20:14 tron

nin,

which half did they print?

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

104. Re: HOT POTATOES!!! Aug 27, 2004, 18:51 tron

because: the false award was NOT due to a subjective judgement opinion like in baseball

i disagree. baseball and football aren't 100% subjective. a ball is either fair or foul, a foot is inbounds, or out. yet these calls are regularly shown on replay to be made incorrectly and nothing is done to revise it.

and there is plenty of subjective judging going on in gymnastics. if you think (in your opinion) that the move wasn't as 100% beautifully made as it could have been, then you can dock a small amount of points.

imagine how you would feel if you were promoted at work, then a week later your boss says "hey, i forgot that you were late once back in january, so technically another guy deserves the promotion and not you - will you please step down?"

it is HIS mistake, not yours... and a minor one at that. i'm sure you would probably be mad as hell, and fight like hell to keep the promotion.

i would like to see Hamm graciously admit that 2 gold medals is appropriate. but i think he damn well deserves to keep what he got, based on someone else's mistake and not his own.

i think that in sports people need to be aware that no one is perfect, mistakes will be made and that is part of the game. you deal with it when it goes against you, and your thankful when it works for you - and hopefully it all balances out in the end.

The issue is crystal clear:
Hamm got the gold but he Did Not Win The Event.

it's not so black and white to me. for that entire evening Hamm and everyone else in the world believed that Hamm had won the event. who is to say that going back and replaying the entire event wouldn't reveal even more mistakes and subjective inconsistancies? should we revise all of those as well?

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

57. Re: HOT POTATOES!!! Aug 27, 2004, 13:49 tron

Hamtastic Hammy Ham: Just make two medals; what is so wrong about that? The Olympics are a total sham, but at least the person that won would have a gold medal then.

ray, what i don't understand is why everyone expects Hamm to give it up. there are many, many past examples of football and baseball games (even post-season games) where a ref or an ump blows a call that gives the win to the "wrong" team. and yes, people bitch up a storm about it for days and weeks afterwards - but i have never, ever heard anyone anywhere even *consider* the notion of reversing the outcome of the game and giving it to the team treated poorly by the officials. it is as if it isn't even an option...

just what is it that makes this Hamm scenario so different??

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

846 Comments. 43 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo