Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for walter westinghouse

Real Name walter westinghouse   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname tron
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description a blue, glowing, computer-simulated entity
Homepage http://www.3dgamersedge.com
Signed On Dec 5, 2002, 04:35
Total Comments 846 (Graduate)
User ID 15445

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
58. Re: Hmmm... Oct 11, 2004, 23:09 tron

What the hell does it mean when they disappear somebody?"

wonder if they saw lots of beans?
http://www.weebls-stuff.com/toons/37/

- tron -
---
"tron is big and tron is full of action... it's a hell of a ride!"
-from the Tron 2.0 box
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Big Blue Rules! Oct 11, 2004, 11:59 tron

Alright...I'm tired of wondering.

What exactly IS Michael Jackson's Three-Dimensional Cow?

thanks, nin... i asked him this a week ago but got no response... so i went and googled it and came up empty handed... c'mon Bronco! tell us! please, please, please!

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

67. Re: OT: TV: Lost Oct 7, 2004, 16:18 tron

YES! i've been watching LOST, the only tv show i make a Point to watch!

yes, it is an awesome show. a combo of Gilligan's Island, Survivor, and X-Files. i like that it is slow paced, has many complex characters, lots of unknowns, and a couple of "mysteries" going on... not bad for only 3 shows into the season...

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

64. Re: 3dfx! Oct 7, 2004, 16:09 tron

Just wondering about the different video cards everyone has gone through....

hmmm... here's mine:

S3 Virge onboard 3D chipset (P166mmx, oc's to 200)
Hercules Stingray 128 VoodooRush 12MB (same)
CLabs Voodoo 2 8MB (same)
eVGA GeForce2 MX 32MB (PIII 800)
CLabs GeForce2 GTS 64MB (same)
ATI Radeon 8500 64MB (same)
eVGA GeForce FX 5600 ultra 128MB (P4.19)
eVGA GeForce 6800 GT 256MB (same)

thanks, warhawk... that was a trip into the past i haven't taken in a while... i still remember buying the hercules card to play Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire, (which i believe was the first game to ever *require* a 3D card???) and to play GLQuake... i remember bitching out the CompUSA salesman that sold me my $4,000 toshiba system complaining that it was only 4 months old and i was already upgrading it, when he had promised me it had all i needed to play the latest 3D games. at the time, i was an internet virgin and hadn't played a PC game since commander keen! i bought it knowing nothing about what i was getting into, and haven't bought a pre-built system since.

ahhh... the not-so-good old days!

This comment was edited on Oct 7, 16:12.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

43. Re: How to Cost MS Money Oct 5, 2004, 13:49 tron

But hey, if shoddy work doesn't piss you off, let me know where you work... I sure as hell don't want to get any parts machined from there.

c'mon, man - that's taking it a bit far.

i admit i know very little about programming, and this mistake you're talking about is beyond my knowledge. all i know is i use windows and it works, and has for many years. it has it's flaws and isn't perfect, but overall i'm pretty happy with it. each version seems better and more stable, and that is cool with me.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

35. Re: How to Cost MS Money Oct 5, 2004, 13:09 tron

This is the same sort of thing that is happening with the security gaps in their software. They just don't think things through. Will MS ever learn? Clearly, no.

unfortunately it comes down to time... if they took all the time they needed to release the "perfect" OS, it would never come out and they'd go bankrupt in the attempt. it would be the "DNF OS", constantly trying to stay up-to-date but never being finished.

that's one thing i learned being a machinist. you can never make something 100% perfect, it's just not possible. the best you can do is make something functional within tolerances that fit the consumer's needs. there are going to be some problems, that is a given.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

34. Re: How to Cost MS Money Oct 5, 2004, 13:03 tron

But the attitude of "if MS wasn't around, you wouldn't have a job" has been thrown around before, and it's absolute bullshit (and I guess I take offense to it). Computers (regardless of what's on them, or who wrote the software) aren't going away, and as a result, you're going to need people to fix them.

yeah, but if it wasn't MS it would be another corporation just like them... that's life, too... or, should i say, that's capitalism.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

16. Re: How to Cost MS Money Oct 5, 2004, 10:44 tron

Gamers don't have to be juvenile.

thank you!

Use your head, don't lose it - Don't feed the trolls!

...is my favorite sig on these boards. it has helped me more than once. i'm serious!

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

12. Re: How to Cost MS Money Oct 5, 2004, 10:20 tron

Since the only justice you are ever going to get against MS is vigilante justice, I say make them your bitch

sure, and if enough people screw MS they raise their prices to recover that cost. and who is who's bitch at that point? go do some research into what products we buy every day have added into their cost to account for theft and loss-prevention.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

2. sp2 cd moron Oct 5, 2004, 08:49 tron

that jackass who ordered the 100's of cd's (and now plans to order 3,000) annoys me. it basically amounts to (technically legal, though) stealing. he's costing MS money (and inspired other mindless drones to follow suit), and sooner or later, MS is sure to notice the problem and have to pay somebody to fix it - costing them even more. and people wonder stuff costs so much.

granted MS should have been smart enough to have made this impossible to begin with, but people exploiting loop-holes for no good reason other than to say "lookit me! look at how i can screw people over!" don't get any respect from me.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

105. Re: Debate Oct 4, 2004, 00:32 tron

tron, please, it's not necessary to act like warhawk's links represent the totality of information available on the subject or that you're incapable of forming opinions based on anything that's not being laid out explicitly here. Do your own legwork.

i'm not acting that way, so don't imply that i am. did i say "that's it! warhawk wins! sign me up for the republican party! down with kerry!" not even close. as for doing my own legwork, this is how i get things done. i talk to people, they show me examples of what they believe in, and i go look up what they present and i make my mind up from there. it's not like i'm going to run out and vote for bush and dismiss kerry because of this thread - but it does help me. it's too damn hard to learn the intricacies of each party, so my best bet is to talk to people who are certain in their beliefs and let them direct me to relevant information. maybe some day i'll be 100% in favor of one party or the other, and on that day i'll do my best to educated myself on that system. but right NOW, at this point in my life i'm making a choice and relying on people who know politics better than i do to direct me to things that will help me learn. i once asked halsy some questions, and his response was to put words in my mouth and belittle me. and now you, with your sighing and calling people stupid, and telling me you simply don't have the time to prove your point. if you don't have the time, then why did you bother to get involved in this conversation? warhawk was kind and patient enough to try and prove what he was saying. i view this event as two different political parties trying to earn my vote. your tactics are worthless to me, warhawk i can respect.

unless you can point to factual sources discrediting what warhawk has presented - then this conversation is over.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

102. Re: Debate Oct 3, 2004, 23:47 tron

<spelling it out> The point had nothing to do with Kerry, I was only commenting on the importance of considering the source and the context and accumulating a broad base of information based on as many facts as possible rather than latching onto easily digestible and largely meaningless over-reductions like "Kerry is a flip-flopper!" Sigh. </spelling>

fine. i looked up the links warhawk provided, and considered the context. and, they show that kerry has changed his position on the war in iraq. so, warhawk provided proof of the "flip-flopper" claim. are you implying the sources he linked to are not valid? or perhaps you are suggesting that i latch onto an easily digestible and largely meaningless over-reduction like: "bush is stupid and kerry is smart".

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

99. Re: Debate Oct 3, 2004, 19:46 tron

Is it not obvious to you that you're only reinforcing my point by example?

what, exactly, *is* your point? as far as i can tell you have so far not made one statement in support or defense of Kerry. warhawk has clearly illustrated his point that Kerry is a waffler, unable to remain consistant on many issues. what is your point, and how are you defending it?

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

98. Re: Debate Oct 3, 2004, 19:31 tron

Not gonna bother to take that one apart

Don't play dumb.

It wouldn't be hard to demonstrate this, and I'll assume that most readers here have enough intellect that I don't need to do so

Warhawk, thank you. you take the time to present your argument using facts that you gathered, and you provide links to sources to solidify your points. jediluke, meanwhile, has done nothing to reinforce his "point" - it seems he has none. looking at the above summary of his responses he says you're playing dumb, he's not gonna bother to reply, and most people are so intelligent that he doesn't even have to speak to make a point - i guess his point is just supposed to magically appear in the minds of these so-called "intelligent readers".

you win this debate hands down in my opinion. if jedi can't be bothered to even take the time and type out what he means, how can i believe a word of what he is (or actually isn't) saying? it goes right back to your initial analogy of Kerry saying "gimmie a blank check and i'll get you a great car - but i'm not going to tell you how i'm going to do it.... just trust me!!"

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

43. Re: Illegal Parking Oct 3, 2004, 04:50 tron

How about a "Blue's News Urinal Cake" with the word "fredster" on it?

bwah-ha-ha!!! i'd buy that in a heart-beat!!

thanks, nin, i needed that!

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

90. Re: Debate Oct 2, 2004, 19:27 tron

you decide to vote for a candidate based on how much you like other people who support that candidate? Very logical

make my decision? no... but sway it, yes. everything is a factor. you can learn about a candidate by spending time with others who share that candidates ideals. the whole birds-of-a-feather notion has some weight to it. being neither conservative nor liberal, i listen to people who are strongly in favor of each side. and i have to say that lately i have been hearing a lot of extremely liberal folks have the sentiment: "bush is a dumbass, if you believe anything he says, you are a dumbass as well. only a moron would vote for him". while i have yet to hear that level of flat-out insult from the conservative side (granted, i don't listen to Rush Limbaugh...) among my friends, or from folks hear at blue's.

strong-arm tactics will never win me over... i'm trying to listen to logical honest ideas from each side and make my decision based on what they claim to offer. i know both sides lie, i know both sides promise more than they deliver. so, for me a big factor is character.

I still don't see why you can't understand the difference between attacking a person and a statement made by that person

i do tend to take things personally. as someone raised by a verbally abusive and highly volitile father, i have a tendancy to lash back at people ten times harder than they initially lash out at me. this does no good for me or them. so... when i sense hostilities rising i draw a line and refuse to participate, lest i degrade myself to embarrasingly low levels. all that aisde, i just flat-out hate insults of people, their opinions, their ideas, or anything... what good can insult ever do? what possible good can come from insult? it can only lead to bad things, so i avoid it... you can tell me i'm wrong, you can call me ignorant or misinformed, you can disagree with me all you want - but i'm not into the insult game. i'd rather hear strong argument based in civil behavior from someone who actually has something to say.

I am just seriously irritated by the sentiment you expressed; I think it's entirely irrational and I think the fact that a significant number of people seem to buy into it is a direct result of the relentless and dirty tactics employed by the Bush campaign

i can understand that... and yeah, it is conservative propoganda to say that Kerry is a waffler. but there is something to it, and i'm exploring the realities of that propoganda. to me it is no different than the liberals saying that bush is a stupid liar. each side makes their claim - and i'm digging for truth and facts. like i said to warhawk - i may not like everything about Bush - but i know who he is and what i'll be getting if he wins. what am i getting by voting for Kerry? i don't know yet...

But like I said the first time, it wasn't meant to be personal

no problem. understood. at least you had the guts to respond in a civil manner. i respect that. around here, i'm not used to that happening a lot!

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

27. Re: This you need to explain to me Oct 2, 2004, 17:44 tron

I've listened to Michael Jackson's Three-Dimensional Cow, have you?

bronco... what on earth does this mean???

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

88. Re: Debate Oct 2, 2004, 14:52 tron

I didn't call you stupid,

well, you called my opinion stupid, and my opinions are *me*, so same thing. and i'm not being "self-victimizing", i just have a differing opinion from yours and i'm entitled to it, and don't appreciate being called stupid for having it. i'm a moderate, not one of those people who thinks all conservatives are stupid, or all liberals are stuipid. i think both sides have something to offer, and i have trouble picking presidential candidates because of that mindset. what bothers me, and what is strongly swaying my opinion, is that you, and others, keep acting like those who actually see the good in Bush, or conservatives in general, are flat-out stupid for doing so.

you are saying - "vote for us, unless you are too damn stupid to". and that tactic turns me off, and makes me want to go the other way.

This comment was edited on Oct 2, 14:53.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

86. Re: Debate Oct 2, 2004, 14:18 tron

I didn't insult you at all, I told you I think that particular line of argument is bewilderingly stupid

so calling me stupid is not insulting? it is in my opinion. if your only way to argue against my point is to call it stupid, then i request that you stay out of my discussion. children argue by calling each other stupid, and i hope that we are all above that level in here.

some people like the music of john tesh. i personally do not. those who do are not stupid - they simply have a difference of opinion from me. and i believe that we are all entitled to have our own opinions, even when they are not in alignment with mine.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

83. Re: Debate Oct 2, 2004, 13:55 tron

Nothing personal, but just trying to comprehend that as a serious argument makes me feel dumber. I wish you were joking

thanks for throwing a pointless non-productive insult at me.

i guess in your mind i'm not allowed to have my own opinions, unless they conform to yours.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

846 Comments. 43 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo