Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for walter westinghouse

Real Name walter westinghouse   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname tron
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description a blue, glowing, computer-simulated entity
Homepage http://www.3dgamersedge.com
Signed On Dec 5, 2002, 04:35
Total Comments 845 (Graduate)
User ID 15445

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Road Blocks (Play Time Link) Oct 24, 2004, 13:17 tron

How the hell do you beat lvl 8?

i can't give you step-by-step instructions, but i can say it's beatable, as i have completed it.

- tron -
---
"tron is big and tron is full of action... it's a hell of a ride!"
-from the Tron 2.0 box
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

2. football Oct 24, 2004, 12:41 tron

okay, Bronco, 30 minutes until game time!

i wonder which Browns team will show up today? the one who looked pathetic against the Steelers, or the team that surprised everyone by stomping the Ravens and Bengals.

here's hoping T.O. doesn't get a chance to show off the "special surprise" he has in store for us if he scores a TD, and that we erase the "0" in your record!

good news for you is that our number one receiver is out with an injury and we traded away our number two receiver earlier this week. between that, your defense, and T.O., Garcia has his work cut out for him.

either way, i hope it's a good game...

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

39. Re: No subject Oct 24, 2004, 10:30 tron

One occurs naturally as a population check

an extension of that logic also suggests there is a higher power in the universe. if it occurs "as a population check" that implies that there is an intention or will behind the use of the virus. since you are an aetheist, Halsy, who is it that is using the virus as a population check?

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

6. Re: Monitor scratches Oct 23, 2004, 13:03 tron

Does anyone know of a good product to remove the entire anti glare coating?

not exactly, but i do know that i learned a tough lesson by cleaning a SyncMaster monitor with Windex... it caused a lot of the anti-glare coating to come off, much to my dismay. so, if all else fails, try cleaning (scrubbing) it with Windex...

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

124. Re: Gaming related! Oct 23, 2004, 10:33 tron

The Fortissimo III is supposed to be amazing as well according to a friend of mine who has one

according to what i read, the Catalina is their newest top-of-the-line card and the one they are pitting against the Audigy 2. check out this article:
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1640453,00.asp
while they support your claims that Turtle Beach used to beat CL, they clearly show that this new card doesn't match up to the Audigy 2. plus, it is only $15 cheaper.
I don't know what the Fortissimo III is, it isn't listed on the Turtle Beach website, and New Egg doesn't have any for sale. i'm buying everything from newegg. so, i guess i'm gonna stick to the Audigy card.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

115. Re: Gaming related! Oct 23, 2004, 02:03 tron

thanks for the comments guys... i have saved myself some cash and i feel better about the mobo i picked after you motivated me to dig deeper into all of this.

time for me to crash...

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

114. Re: Gaming related! Oct 23, 2004, 01:57 tron

Performance-wise, it's probably not worth the cost difference. The DFI LanParty boards come with OOODLES of extras you may or may not want, stuff like:

man, that is a wicked looking mobo! i had no idea anyone was doing that kind of stuff! however, except to show it off to the 2 or 3 friends i have who would actually care, no one would ever even see the thing sitting under my desk.

if money wasn't such an issue right now, i would probably get it just, well, just to have all the cool stuff! (and that review you directed me too was really good) but, i am finally returning to work on monday after being unemployed since June 7th. the only reason i can even justify building this new system is that i have to play HL2 at maximum visual quality! no, j/k... the real reason is i found someone to buy my old rig for $500, so i'm basically getting this whole new system for about $300. and since i have an issue that requires me to wipe my hdd and reinstall my OS anyway, it's worth doing the upgrade now since i know i can sell off the old box for so much $$.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

113. Re: Gaming related! Oct 23, 2004, 01:49 tron

in regards to 865 vs 875, i found the following:

on the VIAARENA forums:
The 875 is not FASTER than the 865, but the 865 is SLOWER than the 875. So the 875 is not optimized but the 865 is simply made slower. When the 865 detects a 800MHz bus, it will use more inefficient paths in the chip while processing data, making it slower. This doesn't mean that the faster route is there!
Manufacturers like ASUS have picked this up and incorporated this into their bios. It's possible to fool the chipset so it won't start using the longer inefficient path. You can do this by setting the performance mode from 'auto' to 'turbo'.

from anandtech:
For the most part the 865PE comes within 2 - 5% of the performance of the 875P, which makes the 875P a tough sell. For the majority of users, we would strongly recommend the 865PE because of the significant cost savings. If you're the type of user that must have the fastest thing on the block and will not rest without the knowledge that you do in fact have the fastest thing on the block, then the 875P is for you, but for everyone else, the 865PE is more than sufficient.

so... i now feel better about my $70+ savings.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

111. Re: Gaming related! Oct 23, 2004, 01:37 tron

If you do go with the P4, I don't know if you can do much better than the ASUS. You may want to check out the DFI LanParty series if you want a little more flash, lots of features and extras, and don't mind paying a bit more.

i was lookin' at the asus with the 875 chipset as opposed to the 865. the DFI you recommed is $71 more than the one i selected, the 875 asus is $87 more. is the 875 chipset really *that* much better than the 865? i guess i need to research some more!

If you've seen the movie, you'd understand the reference

i've gotta see this movie. i keep hearing about it, but i've never seen it... and i like oddball quotes like that.

the price/performance differential at that time was much greater between AMD/Intel, the only reason I went AMD

yeah, i first looked at AMD, because i thought it was going to be a massive savings. but, the more i looked the less it seemed i would really save anything worth mentioning. in the end it came down to the fact that i understand the Intel set-up... going with what i know and have experience with...

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

106. Re: Gaming related! Oct 23, 2004, 01:09 tron

warhawk:

hmmm... well, considering i spent a good 10 hours researching this, i don't think i have the energy to start over again just to save $25... plus after all that reading i am starting to wonder about these gaming benchmarks. seems that some sites claim P4's are better for D3, while others claim AMD is better - and they all have benchmarks to prove it. i think it may come down to which mobo and ram combo that are using. from what i've read, if you have a decent mobo and excellent RAM, the P4's equal or outperform the AMD's. with cheaper mobo's and value ram, they lose to AMD's.

anyway, i found an OEM version of the Audigy2 (thanks, nin, for making me look deeper into sound cards!!) that is saving me $26, and i bit the bullet on the case (man, i really wanted that Aspire!!!) and i'm going with a Kingwin MutantX with a 420watt PSU that runs $95 cheaper than the Aspire. i can't imagine that the 420watt psu will be insufficient, and that going up to 500 will make a noticable difference. the Aspire is higher quality, and has 2 more fans, but it's more of an OC'ing thing at that point.

I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, and singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiener."

umm... wtf???

This comment was edited on Oct 23, 01:11.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

102. Re: Gaming related! Oct 23, 2004, 00:24 tron

Two words: Turtle Beach

why's that, nin??

don't you lose all the EAX stuff when you leave the CL fold? i'd hate to have missed out on the awesome EAX effects in Dungeon Siege and NWN. i'll go look into it though...

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

97. Gaming related! Oct 22, 2004, 23:42 tron

okay, i'ma gonna put together a new system and i'm pretty sure i have it figured out what i'm putting into it. any of you late night forum owls wanna critique or comment on my choice of gear? i'd be happy to hear anything and everything anyone has to say about this stuff... good bad or politically charged insults, whatever!

Aspire X-Navigator case w/ 500-watt PS ($159)

WD SE 120GB SATA HDD (model WD1200JB) ($90)

2x512GB Corsair XMS DDR400 (pc3200) RAM (model TWINX1024-3200C2PT) ($235)

ASUS P4P800 SE IP865PE mobo ($92)

P4 3.2 GHz 800FSB Prescott cpu ($221)

CL Audigy2 sound ($92)

anyone have any successes or nightmares with any of this stuff? i know everyone seems to think AMD is the way to go, but i don't plan on doing any OC'ing, and i've always been a pentium guy. unless i hear a really stong argument in favor of AMD (giving me a big performance boost at the same cost, or identical performance at a significant cost reduction) i'm sticking with intel for now.

any takers?

This comment was edited on Oct 23, 02:00.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

89. Re: PACKET!! Oct 22, 2004, 21:12 tron

But I believe I speak for a substantial section of this board when I ask you to, please, be more tolerant in your arguments.

amen. Halsy, i used to read your posts thoughtfully and try to see your point of view, as you are obviously well educated and have taken the time to learn about the issues you are passionate about. yet, ever since you insulted my intelligence and stereotyped me (and you know NOTHING about me) i no longer read what you write. maybe that is just the way you are, and you just don't care... but if you took that time and learned the restraint to treat people with respect even when (*especially when*) they disagree with you, then you would be doing yourself a great deal of good. it seems counterproductive to spend so much time trying to convince people that you are right, and in the process alienate them so much they no longer consider what you have to say.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

52. Re: PACKET!! Oct 22, 2004, 13:44 tron

The same one Halsy is in.

yowch!

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

50. Re: PACKET!! Oct 22, 2004, 13:36 tron

A little harsh?!! Fuck it... it's been a long day

yeah... but still, what he said about that poor girl is beyond rude. plus, i'd like to know what mytical-wonder-fairy-land he lives in where nothing ever goes wrong so he has the authority to insult the U.S. like that.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

46. Re: PACKET!! Oct 22, 2004, 13:28 tron

moog operator:

why don't you put some duct tape over that hole in your face before something even more disgusting falls out of it.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

32. Re: Name that Game Oct 21, 2004, 13:18 tron

i managed 14/18, and should have had 15/18 but i had a brain cramp at one point...  
- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

News Comments > Evening Q&As
1. fatal1ty Oct 21, 2004, 00:35 tron

...talks with the pro gamer about general stuff.

ahhh... General Stuff. couldn't have won WWII without his brilliant strategies. and things of that nature.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

107. Re: Valley of Megiddo Oct 20, 2004, 21:25 tron

IRAQ DIDN'T BLOW UP THE TRADE CENTER, SAUDI ARABI DID.

neither Iraq nor Saudi Arabia attacked the US on 9/11... a small and misguided group of radical extremists attacked us. that the majority of them happened to be Saudi nationals isn't really the point.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

103. Re: Original Trek... Oct 20, 2004, 20:23 tron

I actually checked eBay today for tickets and found a couple of pair for sale for under $100.00

damn... now i'm tempted to go look!

I think the hardest part to stopping the Eagles is that they can beat you in a lot of ways.

understatement of the day?
from today's ESPN NFL site:
Brian Dawkins' Eagles are clearly among the NFL's elite.

How are your corners rated?

McCutcheon and Henry are both very good. we've only allowed 2 or 3 passing TD's this year so far. Henry had 10 interceptions three years ago, and this year he has 3 so far. both are good at coming up with the out-of-nowehere deflection while avoiding the pass interference calls. maybe they're not the best in the league, but they are both very very good. last year they rendered Manning and Harrison virtually ineffective as the colts only scored 9 points on us (all FG's), yet we only scored 6! anyway, i'm dying to see how McCutcheon matches up with Owens. like i said, i think it'll be a good game.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

845 Comments. 43 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo