Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for walter westinghouse

Real Name walter westinghouse   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname tron
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description a blue, glowing, computer-simulated entity
Homepage http://www.3dgamersedge.com
Signed On Dec 5, 2002, 04:35
Total Comments 845 (Graduate)
User ID 15445

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
39. Re: Nov 18, 2004, 12:53 tron

Anyone but me wonder whether JoeBlow either needs to be committed or hired as a plot writer for an X-Files-type serial

sure, i wonder about it all the time. he's the most entertaining person on the boards these days... much more fun to read than fre... uh, than he-who-must-not-be-named ever was!

- tron -
---
"tron is big and tron is full of action... it's a hell of a ride!"
-from the Tron 2.0 box
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Half-Life: Source Nov 18, 2004, 12:35 tron

Jim,

SST: the Barn didn't have anything vital - but if you look at the crate hanging from the crane outside... well, there is a way to see what is inside of it. hope that piques your curiosity without giving too much away.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

34. Half-Life - don't believe the hype! Nov 18, 2004, 12:32 tron

okay - i admit that Half Life (the original) was a very good, and mostly fun game - BUT it does NOT deserve the accolades some people are giving it in the HL2 reviews i have been reading.

One in particular is that many people are acting like HL was the "first FPS ever" to have a story or get gamers into the plot, not just the killin'.

well - what about Jedi Knight?!? it came out a full year before HL, feature a plot that was MUCH deeper and better developed than HL and had more secret areas, puzzles, and dialog than HLx20. so, why does it get no respect? why does HL get all the praise that JK rightfully deserves?

bah... nothing against HL (and so far HL2 is phenomenal), but JK needs to get it's due...

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

107. Re: HL2 AA Nov 18, 2004, 08:45 tron

Good enough for ya?

yep... and here i thought you were going to have me alter some .cfg file or something!

btw, it's great having you and Sixis around to edumacate us technically inferior beings... i really appreciate all the advice and knowledge folks like you to take the time to share with the rest of us!

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

88. Re: HL2 AA Nov 17, 2004, 22:31 tron

Let me know how this works for you.

well, it looks a lot better at 1204 (i'm surprised how smooth this game runs!), at least the near-by objects do... so thanks for that. but the stuff in the background is still gettin' jiggy wit' the jaggies...

maybe Enahs can explain to me how to config the drivers to force AA??!??

off-topic: i'm really happy to see that both D3 and HL2 run better on people's rigs than they expected them to. the days of Q2 and Unreal are over (for now anyway) thankfully! i remember when every time a new game can out only those with the most 1337 monster rigs could run at 800x600 with the bells and whistles all turned on. and Unreal took at least a year before *anyone* could run it like that. i'm very satisfied to know that my current set-up should be good for 2 years at least...

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

80. Re: HL 1 Nov 17, 2004, 22:22 tron

go through on cheats if you want, but it's not worth it

thanks, warhawk - that's what i've been wondering for a lomg time now...

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

83. Re: Just... wow Nov 17, 2004, 20:56 tron

Blue is usually pretty vague about how he feels about the various games he covers I can't remember the last occasion that he ever said he was blown away by anything

the last game i remember him recommending was Serious Sam... all he did was post a link to the demo and added "recommended" next to it. i'm guessing he usually remains neutral in order to be a professional unbiased news source.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

79. Re: HL2 AA Nov 17, 2004, 20:30 tron

Try setting resolution to 1204 X 1028 (the one that says LCD)

okay sixis, i'll give this a try as soon as "Lost" is over... thanks for the advice!!

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

76. HL2 AA Nov 17, 2004, 19:48 tron

first off - HL2 is the BEST and most REALISTIC 3D FPS CRATE SMASHING SIMULATION EVER CONCIEVED!!! i have never smashed so many crates in so many ways for so many reasons in a video game! kudos to valve!

however, on a serious note... is it just me or does the AA in this game suck? i have it turned up to the max setting (6x i think?) and i have AF maxed as well (8x i think) and i see jaggies everywhere. i'm running at 1024x768 with all features maxxed out (except i have yet to turn the water to the "reflect all" setting) and it just doesn't look very smooth.

anyone else notice this - or is the problem here with me somehow?

all that aside - this game is as good as, or better than D3 so far (yes, i know, i loved D3 and i should be crucified for it). i'm only a few hours in and i never wat to stop playing... damn job...

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

78. Re: HL 1 Nov 17, 2004, 12:49 tron

thanks, warhawk...

i'm wondering how close i was to reaching Xen... i was at a point where i had powered up a nuclear reactor, then i swam to a new location where i had to teleport myself from room to room and then i was supposed to teleport my way up some spinning column with platforms on it. i had to time the jumps/teleports just right or i fell down and had to start over... i got so mad/bored that i just quit there. was i close to the end??

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

71. Re: HL2 manual? Nov 16, 2004, 22:22 tron

tron, I know you were kidding and everything

yes, yes i was.... or.... was i?

even though you had no way to know that, it still really hurt

i suggest you go to a support group where you and your fellow dummy-heads can find solace in your shared stupidness. you might want to bring cupcakes, and some Coke to dunk them in. and hey, you may be stupid, and you may be a dummy-head, but at least you're big - so you got that goin' for ya.

Not to mention, HL2 freakin' RAWKS man! I mean it totally freakin' RAWKS

yes, indeed it does! (sooooo much better than it's somewhat overrated predecessor). the intro is the coolest i have seen in a long time. i guess you don't need cinematics or cut-scenes to stay cutting-edge. i got a few hours in today, and reached a point where i'm very lost in the recesses of some building and i don't know how to get out... yet.

i hope that you, and everyone else, is having a blast playing this game... we don't see this kind of quality very often, so lets appreciate it while it's here, and still brand new!!!

wtg Gabe and Valve!! you have redeemed yourselves after the last 13 months of doubt and confusion... here's a great big BOOOYAHHHH!! for y'all.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

66. HL 1 Nov 16, 2004, 20:29 tron

anybody feel up to filling me in on the story to HL1? i never got past the stupid jumping puzzle teleporter thingy... all i know is that you open the portal to Xen (or wherever), fight your way out of black mesa, kill tons of marines and aliens, start a nuclear reactor, launch a rocket, and keep trying to get somewhere(???) while the G-Man lurks around...

anyone care to tell me how it ended up and what (if any) revelations were given???

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

65. Re: HL2 manual? Nov 16, 2004, 20:21 tron

What? A manual? Real men don't read manuals!

uh, WarPig... you ever look at my nick? i'm not a "real man", i was programmed by Flynn to fight the CPU!

"Yeah hello Mr. Gabe? I need a manual. I started the game and my guy doesn't move or look around or anything. What do I do? I'd start pressing keys or moving the mouse but without a manual I just don't know."

okay, that was at my expense, but still pretty damn funny!

"but gabe, i'm too busy stuffing doritos into my face to work a keyboard *and* a mouse!"

the real reason i want a manual is that i like to see the design they put into it... like i loved getting the older Blizzard manuals for the artwork (samwise is awesome!) and backstory and such. plus i like to see who the voice actors are... like i'm playing KotR (finally) and i thought i recognized Ethan Phillips, and was able to grab the manual and confirm my suspicions. it's also fun to check out the level designers and see if any of the guys who used to make old user-created Q and Q2 maps are working in the industry...

so there... you big stupid dummy-head!!!

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

51. HL2 manual? Nov 16, 2004, 16:13 tron

Did anyone buy HL2 through retail, and if so - did it come with a manual? i just opened mine and i have discs, a quick reference card, and that's it. is it supposed to be this way, or am i missing something? if i'd have known there was no manual, i'd have just dl'd it!

and blue, i hope those Sony ads pay well - because they are damn annoying!

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Children of the Nile
6. Re: Well Nov 9, 2004, 21:25 tron

ironhorse and bigtrouble77,

so do guys find the game to be playable and easy to understand? i am really looking forward to it, though the gamespy review raised some worrying points. they claim it lacks focus and that it is difficult to know what your goals are and where to focus your attention. they also said the interface is inadequate and difficult to navigate. they had a lot of good to say about it as well, but seemed to think it had too many flaws to be truly enjoyable... what is your take on this?

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

164. Re: No subject Nov 3, 2004, 06:17 tron

ugh nothing like waking up and seeing dickhead re-elected.

i dunno what source you are using, but all major news sites are reporting that it is still up in the air, and three states don't have a winner defined yet.

This comment was edited on Nov 3, 06:17.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

News Comments > Gold - Children of the Nile
8. Re: can't wait Oct 26, 2004, 20:35 tron

I picked up a copy of Pharoah a couple months ago

that's when i got it...

a Hypersonic AX7 laptop completely decked out with 2gigs of ram an Athlon 64 3400+, radeon 9700, dual layer burner

snazzy! 2 GB of RAM? do you really need that much, or did you just go overkill because you can? i put 1GB of high-end Corsair 3200 RAM in mine... i figure nothing (gamewise) is using a GB yet, but if i ever need it i can add it in. i also have a 6800GT that i won on EVGA.com. i'm putting a 120GB SATA HDD in the rig, but didn't go with a DVD burner. i just don't have any real use for one at this time.

I snagged a Geforce6800GT when it came out and only use it for the Sims2 so far

how did you like Sims 2?? is it really as good as the reviews make it sound? the guy on AVault was drooling over it...

Doom3 totally bores me

i loved it. played it through twice, and i've played every add-on SP map as well. but, i was the same way with Quake and Quake 2. i have a thing for id single player games. it lets me do things i could never get away with in real life, like run 50 MPH while carrying 500 pounds of guns-n-ammo, slaughtering demons from hell and bio-mechs from other worlds. it's very cathartic.

This comment was edited on Oct 26, 20:36.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

5. Re: can't wait Oct 26, 2004, 20:07 tron

like a huge virtual egyptian empire

did you play any Pharaoh? i'm a big fan of ancient egyptian history, and that game was really cool. it was such an awesome feeling to sit back and look at a city that i spent 3 or 4 hours developing... watching the people going about their lives when i finally had everything fine-tuned enough to just sit back and let the place run itself for a while. it's like: "I did it... I built this... everyone is happy, my approval rating is high, we're prosperous and invincible and the city is beautiful to look at." man, what a sense of accomplishment. it something that i never got from reading Wilbur Smith's books, or Christian Jacq's books, or watching The Mummy or Stargate, even though i love all f those things.

and i'm *really* excited that i should have my kick-ass new P3.2 system built just in time to install this game! newegg shipped my stuff yesterday, i should have it all by thursday or friday!!! man, HL2 and CotN should play great...

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

3. can't wait Oct 26, 2004, 19:39 tron

i am really looking forward to this. i played a lot of Pharaoh and had a blast with it, yet i was a bit disappointed by it's shortcomings. the hype for this leads one to believe they fixed all the bad elements of the original. here's hoping CotN is to Pharaoh as Sims 2 is to Sims. not that i play the sims games, but the reviews for sims 2 sound so good i'm tempted to try it.

what makes me laugh is that people here at blue's are constantly bitching about their FPS games lacking in depth, story, character development, complexity, etc... yet there are literally hundreds upon hundreds of comments in each thread about D3 or HL2. and here we have a thread about the release of a game that has ALL of those features people are crying for, and i'm the only one to post in it who is actually looking forward to the game...

edit: oh sure, as i'm typing this someone posts that they're looking forward to it... well, at least i'm not the only one!

This comment was edited on Oct 26, 19:41.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

23. Re: Road block Oct 24, 2004, 15:16 tron

how the hell do you beat level 4?

L,U,R,D,R,U,L

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

845 Comments. 43 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo