Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for walter westinghouse

Real Name walter westinghouse   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname tron
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description a blue, glowing, computer-simulated entity
Homepage http://www.3dgamersedge.com
Signed On Dec 5, 2002, 04:35
Total Comments 845 (Graduate)
User ID 15445

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: finally finished it Nov 27, 2004, 20:39 tron

sstsshl2ss:

ahhh... i forgot about G-Man being untouchable in HL1. which brings up how odd (but smart and maybe even neccessary) it is that in HL2 you cannot wound anyone on your own side. in a way i'm glad they took a moral high-ground in not allowing you to kill your pals, gib corpses, and spray blood and guts around the way D3 and many others let you.

back to G-Man... at first i thought the "G" was for Government, now i wonder if it stands for God, considering the power he has not only over Gordon's personal life, but also apparently: time and space.

just did some digging around and came up with this page... http://members.shaw.ca/storage_4/hl2story/
it is very complete and pretty interesting, but i wonder where they come up with some of the more specific detailed info... such as:
The Resonance Cascade - The event that started it all. Really, this event caused the fall of the entire human race. And who selected those "special" samples to be used on the day it all went down? None other than the G-man himself. G-Man is directly responsible for the events at Black Mesa and the Combine invasion of Earth.
it makes for a good story, and is very plausible - but where is the evidence of this in the games??

and yeah - i too eagerly await any add-ons, as well as the inevitable HL3. and let's hope HL3 is a Source engine product, which will should knock a good 3 years off of the Valve 6-year dev cycle!

- tron -
---
"tron is big and tron is full of action... it's a hell of a ride!"
-from the Tron 2.0 box
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. finally finished it Nov 27, 2004, 19:06 tron

well, i finished HL2 SSTHL2 follows:

am i alone in thinking the G-Man isn't human? also, i assume that in the big confusing ending sequence that Dr. Breen was killed? this game was a lot like Matrix Reloaded in that it seems to create more questions than it give answers...

what i gather is that there is some evil enslaving alien race that is f*cking with the Vortigaunts and trying to take over Earth. they get Dr. Breen to act as their puppet, and meanwhile a resistance is formed to oppose the "new world order". Gordon is famous for the incident at Black Mesa, so he becomes a savior-figure to the resistance, yet the Vortigaunts also seem to think he is something special. i have no idea who or what the G-Man is, but he seems to think Gordon is something special as well, and is leading him around to do the dirty work.

anyone agree, disagree or have a different angle on any of this stuff?

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

3. grinding away Nov 27, 2004, 14:06 tron

and it's good to get out of the same old grind.

ouch... that was just painfully punny, blue...

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

5. turkey Nov 25, 2004, 12:30 tron

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!!!

enjoy the day, whether you spend time with family, or just camp out and play HL2 all day.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

99. Re: So, uh, what is that stuff? Nov 24, 2004, 06:16 tron

I tend to agree, with the notable exception of Get Fuzzy

that is a good one... along with FoxTrot and Frazz.

did you see the Get Fuzzy earlier this week where Bucky has Jason (from foxtrot) and the little kid from Family Circus on a rotisserie over a fire, and the family circus kid is saying "Mommy! I'm Burning!"... priceless!

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

92. Re: So, uh, what is that stuff? Nov 23, 2004, 21:28 tron

Like that Calvin and Hobbes cartoon? Where Calvin asks why old pictures and movies are black and white, and his dad tells him the world didn't turn color until recently?

thanks for that memory nin... i'd forgotten how much i loved that comic. time to go pick up some of the big collection books i think!

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

23. Re: Eight hours later Nov 22, 2004, 22:09 tron

Today, between classes I went to a vending machine and it was out of apple juice

i hope you have a lawyer working on that one... i can only begin to imagine the psycological turmoil that caused you... i'll bet you'll be bedridden for at least a week.
"honest, your honor... when that machine was out of apple juice i thought... i thought... what if society is no longer able to provide me the basic necessities of human life? what if this is just a beginning? what if tomorrow i no longer have access to *any* fruit juices? what will i do without the nectar of sweet yummy fruit? what shall i drink then, i ask you? will sodas go missing next, then coffee, tea, V8, milk, WHAT NEXT, HUH? WATER?!? YOU PLANNING ON TAKING AWAY MY DAMNED WATER NEXT?!? THEN WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO??? JUST DIE!!!???!!! THAT'S IT, ISN'T IT? YOU ALL WANT ME DEAD... ALL OF YOU!!!! AAAHHRRRRRGGGGGHHH!!!!!!!!!!! GET ME OUT... GET ME OUT OF HERE DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!!!!!!!!! YOU'RE ALL IN ON IT, EVERY LAST ONE OF YOU, I'VE KNOWN IT ALL ALONG!!!!!!!!!! ALL MY BODILY FLUIDS ARE PURE I TELL YOU... PURE!!!!!!!!!! GAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

This comment was edited on Nov 23, 06:09.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

63. HL2 and plot Nov 22, 2004, 10:17 tron

and as far as FPSs go it's a lot more than most

i disagree... doom3, quake2, dark forces, jedi knight, jedi outcast, jedi academy, medal of honor, unreal2, tron2.0, etc... all these games (and many more) have as much of, if not more of, a plot than HL1 or HL2. what HL2 does better than these other games is: it presents that plot in a way that is extremely intruiging, and very cryptic.

and once again, by playing down to the over-hyped reviews this game gets i'm not saying it's a bad game... in fact it is one of the best and most fun games i have ever played. it simply does not deserve all the credit some people are giving it.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

42. Re: my HL2 thoughts Nov 21, 2004, 18:24 tron

that is not the first time this has been done. A number of recent titles have done this; I thought Far Cry did this as well.

ahhh... thanks, ray! i tried Far Cry, but for whatever reason the game didn't appeal to me and i only played the first 5 or so levels.... until the part with the tree-top walkways and the first glimpse of the mutant-monkey thingies in action. at that point i'd had enough. i'm guessing the other titles you are referring to are WWII games? because i haven't tried any of those since MoH:AA.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

40. Re: my HL2 thoughts Nov 21, 2004, 18:20 tron

if you're worried about spoilers, judiciously use the spoiler tag
look! it's me! Hidden Text Man!!!!
i thought about it, but my post didn't really have any spoilers unless you haven't played any of the game yet - and even then it's nothing that would ruin the game... i only added the "possible spoilers" warning if some super-sensitive "i-don't want-to-know-anything-and-i-haven't-started-the-game-yet!!!" type of person read it... it was a CYA move.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

34. my HL2 thoughts Nov 21, 2004, 16:45 tron

warning: may be considered spoliers if you haven't played any of the game yet...

one thing i have yet to hear anyone mention, and that i think is an exceptional innovation in this game (someone correct me if it has been done before) is when an explosion happens very near your character and the sound is severely muffled for a few seconds, and all you hear is a ringing tone. the first time it happened i thought my speakers blew or something, then i realized that Valve had done pulled off the coolest audio trick i've ever experienced in game... very impressive!

concerning the "plot":
i keep hearing people rave about the plot in this game, and i was at first bewildered, but now i have formed a theory. granted, i'm probably only 40-50% done with the game (i'm nearing the end of the Sand Traps) but there has been really no plot so far - other than aliens have invaded earth, Dr. Breen is working for them, and there is a resistance. other than that, the game simply uses NPC's to herd you from location to location - much like any other FPS. the big difference is that the NPC's are very well written, extremely believable, and have a lot of character.

my theory is this: the game hints at very many things through the cryptic sayings of those "good-guy aliens" and the environments you explore. also the game has a "prequel" in the form of Half Life 1 that people have in mind when they play this game. i believe that the reason people are so enthusiastic about the plot of this game is that it leaves a LOT to your imagination. it provokes you to wonder what is going on. the player is in doubt about what is really happening, and is constructing (subconsciously, or consciously) their own theories as they play. like when a book is made into a movie and everyone bitches that "it's not how i imagined it would be". nothing beats your own imagination - because it is your own creation... so - the reason people are so into the "plot" is that it is so vague and so open to interpretation that it is very intruiging... much like the first two Matrix films. what they like so much isn't necessarily what is actually there, but what it leads them to believe. if you strip away all speculation and theory, and look at the bare-bones facts that the game presents you... there really isn't much there at all! then again, maybe the last half of the game really amps up the story and starts to give you a lot of tangibles to work with??

This comment was edited on Nov 21, 16:49.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

27. happy b-day, blue! Nov 21, 2004, 16:03 tron

cheers!  
- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

56. Re: No subject Nov 21, 2004, 00:12 tron

RW, your links all go to:

yeah, i noticed that too... you have to paste 'em into the browser to make them work.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

134. Re: A big thank you Nov 19, 2004, 23:07 tron

Just got gmail setup? Do I get to invite people later? 'Cause I don't find the option now...

yeah... they wait until you've had it it a while - and i only got mine after i had been using it actively. i think they wait to see if you are actually going to use it or not, and how much... probably they assume people who actually use it will be more likely to invite more people who will utilize it, instead of having a ton of dead accounts.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

125. Re: A big thank you Nov 19, 2004, 22:50 tron

Uh, pardon my ignorance but WTF is gmail?

it's Google Email... has 1GB of storage space available.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

122. Re: Ravenholm help, plzthx! Nov 19, 2004, 22:11 tron

Sixis - thanks for mentioning the lever... i *knew* there had to be one somewhere, and for some reason i kept missing it - even though i had been on the little balcony where it is located maybe 3 times without seeing it. just one of those things i guess, where i could'nt see what was right in front of my face.

anyway, i'm out of ravenholm - and disappointed to see that the game has forced me back into a vehicle already... : Sigh : though i admit it is somewhat fun in the vehicles, when i'm in them i feel like the game is flying by and i'm missing out... i want more leg-work!!!

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

121. Re: Gmail invite Nov 19, 2004, 22:07 tron

Tim,

invitation has been sent... now erase your email addy before the crawlers get it!

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

115. Re: Ravenholm help, plzthx! Nov 19, 2004, 20:25 tron

ray and sixis - thanks for the HL2 info - i'll go back and try soon.

sixis, your gmail invite has been sent - so you might want to edit away your email addy.

i have 5 invites left if anyone else wants one...

This comment was edited on Nov 19, 20:27.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

109. Ravenholm help, plzthx! Nov 19, 2004, 20:01 tron

HL2ST:
i'm in ravenholm and i'm just past a small building that has giant wheels and pulleys with cables on them that attach to some sort of cart. the cart is hanging from the cables at about telephone pole height. i pass that building, go up to the rooftops and can't get any farther. i can see that the cables have some sort of platform on them that looks like it can be moved to allow me to jump to it, and them to the rooftops further on down. however, i can't for the life of me figure out how to get the cables to activate and move the thing into position. any help?

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

108. Re: No subject Nov 19, 2004, 19:57 tron

Sixis,

i have six gmail invites, get me your email addy and i'll send ya one.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

845 Comments. 43 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo