Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for walter westinghouse

Real Name walter westinghouse   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname tron
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description a blue, glowing, computer-simulated entity
Homepage http://www.3dgamersedge.com
Signed On Dec 5, 2002, 04:35
Total Comments 845 (Graduate)
User ID 15445

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Serious Sam II Demo Tomorrow
22. okay Sep 21, 2005, 02:39 tron

so old-school gamplay ala original DOOM-style is cool, got it.

that said; any of you guys like Q2, but hate D3? to me, Q2 and D3 have a very similar style of play. D3 is slower paced, and the "darkness engine" is hated by many, but isn't the gameplay very similar?

- tron -
---
"tron is big and tron is full of action... it's a hell of a ride!"
-from the Tron 2.0 box
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Myst V: End of Ages
4. Re: and then there were two Sep 21, 2005, 02:32 tron

thanks for all that info, ray!

more questions:

you say the uru expansion sucked, but it had 2 exps (to d'ni, and path of the shell) - which one is lame? or did both suck?

riven is way more obtuse and complex than myst, and suffers for it. but, you say that myst III was better?

what about myst IV revelation? i just read that it uses MacroVision piracy protection, and a lot of people have serious issues because of it. any insight on this?

i have just ordered the Riven strategy guide (for $3 on half.com!) and i'm gonna buy the set that includes the DVD versions of Myst Materpiece, Riven, and Myst III. i'm pretty sure i'm going to pick up Uru (the one you mentioned, with the expansions included)... but i'm hedging on Myst IV until i learn more about the MacroVision issues...

i have tried other "myst-like" adventure titles (the longest journey, for example), but none of them ever got to me like Myst does. it is such a complete and thorough alternate reality, and the extreme care and love that the Millers crafted into it really shines. i'm looking forard to trying out there rest of the series, now that i'm doing what i should have done years ago - buying the damn Riven strategy guide!

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Myst V: End of Ages
2. and then there were two Sep 21, 2005, 01:42 tron

i'll admit that i only play the original all the way through (only needing help on one of the puzzles!). however, i spent a lot of time playing (but never nearly solving) Riven, and i also read the three Myst novels (which are actually very well written). having never tried realMyst or Uru and its expansions, i may well give this one a shot anyway.

any recommendations Ray? are realMyst, Uru, and the Uru expansions worth buying/playing?

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

News Comments > Serious Sam II Demo Tomorrow
14. why is this cool, but D3 sucks? Sep 21, 2005, 01:26 tron

why is it that everyone praises Serious Sam for it's "old school" gameplay, yet they bash every other retro-FPS (most notably D3 and the unreleased Q4) for that same reason??

that said - i'm definitely going to be downloading and playing this tomorrow!

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

News Comments > Quake 4 Mania
16. Re: BattleZone 3/Earthsiege? Sep 16, 2005, 20:32 tron

How else do you explain the MP which looks identical to Quake 3?

i read an interview with someone at Raven (don't remember who) and they basically said that Q3 DM was awesome and did everything just right so they were going to go for a similar style and feel with Q4 DM.

it still is using the same tired ID formula

that statement confuses me. when i hear that people loved Q2, but hate any new game that plays similarly i just don't get it. then again, i don't need to constantly have something new to be happy. if you follow a successful formula, and take the time to give it your own spin and nuances - i don't have a problem with that.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

News Comments > Quake 4 Mania
14. Re: BattleZone 3/Earthsiege? Sep 16, 2005, 20:09 tron

I really don't see how ID can continue to make the same friggin game and get any solid reviews

id didn't "make" Quake 4. raven is developing it.

ID should stick to making engines

id made the Doom 3 engine that raven is using to build Quake 4, so that pretty much kills your argument.

I mean can we really accept this any more?

you certainly don't have to buy it. i know i will though. i enjoyed Quake 1 style gameplay back in 1996, and i still enjoy it today.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

News Comments > Pro Evolution Soccer 5 Demo
1. ??? Sep 15, 2005, 11:25 tron

what about Pro Intelligent Design Soccer???

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

News Comments > Into the Black
38. Re: The Pledge Sep 15, 2005, 11:21 tron

Actually, Islam does believe in Jesus Christ. Just that he was another prophet. If you're going to say that the Jewish percentage includes Christians, then you have to say this one does as well

but being Christian means you accept that Jesus was the messiah, not just that he exisited. most aetheists i know will admit that Jesus exisited.

Oh, and I think you'd find a large number of the "Protestent" faiths dispute whether or not Catholics and Mormons are really Christian. Heck, some of them dispute that any other faith is Christian.

yes, and that's sad. i mean, let's face it - some Christians will be better than others and/or more right than others. that doesn't mean the rest of them "aren't Christian". i go with C.S. Lewis' definition of Christian: someone who accepts Christ as their savior. what they do beyond that is irrelevant to their classification.

Er, are you sure? I'd think those would be under the "Protestent" umbrella

you might be right... i'm not sure. i have talked with many witnesses and have read their own "manual" which says something about them not being any part of the rest of Chrisitianity... i guess it depends on how the poll-takers chose to place them

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

36. Re: The Pledge Sep 15, 2005, 11:08 tron

Here's your "Christian" nation:

Protestant 52%
Christians

Roman Catholic 24%
Christians

Mormon 2%
Christians

Jewish 1%

some jews are messianic, so this group includes Christians

Muslim 1%
non-Christian

other 10%
includes Chrisitian groups such as Jehovah's Witnesses

none 10%
non-Christian.

yep - i'd say that sums up our "Christian nation" quite well.

This comment was edited on Sep 15, 11:09.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

35. Re: sad Sep 15, 2005, 11:04 tron

Actually the God of Christianity, Judaism, and Islamacism are one and the same. So they're precisely equivalent statements. Oh, and Allah is merely Arabic for "God".

i'm aware of all that. i just don't buy what you are saying as a valid argument. being in a minority means having to go with the majority way more than you'd like. that's just life. each of us thinking humans are at times in the majority, and in the minority. you have to learn to cope with each position. so, saying "under Allah" in the U.S. is kind of absurd.

Falling back to "majority rules" is implicitly stating that minority rights are unimportant or less important.

not true. everyone is entitled to an opinion. i just see it as a disturbing trend that lawyers in this country have been giving so much power to every nutcase who starts yelling "unconstitutional!"

Oh, and as I stated yesterday -- I think the case is absurd. I'm not exactly a fan of the statement, but it's a foolish, foolish case that merely polarizes both sides.

didn't see what you said yesterday, so thanks for including this. at least we can both argee that the case is stupid, and causes more harm than good.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

30. Re: sad Sep 15, 2005, 10:49 tron

BTW -- you are promoting creationism, not ID, by referring to the missing link argument. ID inherently presumes the existence of intermediate evolutionary forms.

i believe that God created a universe in which evolution plays a role. i'm a proponent of I.D. because i don't like the way that evolution is becoming a replacement for God.

why is it that evolutionists insist that God has no part in evolution?

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

27. Re: sad Sep 15, 2005, 10:43 tron

Right there, you are suggesting that you are being asked to believe something if you're asked to say it.

yep, you are being *asked* to believe it. not forced, asked.

Do ya follow me, dude?

yep, i follow ya.

by the way, what's with the "tronny" thing?

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

26. Re: sad Sep 15, 2005, 10:42 tron

so if it said "One nation, under Allah, indivisible..." would you have a problem with it? What about "under Yahweh"?

that wouldn't make any sense... not here in the U.S. anyway. but, being Christian your argument follows that the current pledge states "under Christ" - and it doesn't.

Yeah. Keep those minorities down! Damned blackies.

c'mon - that's taking my statement a bit far, dontcha think?

This comment was edited on Sep 15, 10:44.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

22. Re: sad Sep 15, 2005, 10:36 tron

But it's perfectly alright to force the remaining 10% to believe what the majority believe?

who is forcing anyone to believe anything? the reason the "under God" thing was okay for so long is that the vast majority of people believe in a God and so have no problem saying it. it is only recently, when every minority in america wants to force the rest of the world to change to accomodate them, that things like this have become an issue.

What if 49% were Atheist, and 51% Christian? What if you were in that 10%?

and what if a giant squid ate my grandparent? lets not get into "what if".

but, there have been many times that my opinion was in the "10%" group (at work, in school, etc) and in those times i simply have to shut my mouth and go with the flow. you can't win them all.

This comment was edited on Sep 15, 10:40.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

18. Re: sad Sep 15, 2005, 10:26 tron

"Intelligent design" proponents have succeeded in forcing their ridiculous theory upon the populace

Intelligent Design in no more of a ridiculous theory than Evolution. you have faith in your 'missing link', and i'll have faith in a creator.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

17. Re: sad Sep 15, 2005, 10:24 tron

tron: so you wouldn't mind starting your every day with saying "There is no God" together with a bunch of people?

that's not a good comparison. many polls indicate that 90% of U.S. citizens believe in a God. forcing me to say something that only a small minority believes in would be undemocratic, and since this is a democracy i would be very concerned if i was being asked to believe as only 10% believe.

This comment was edited on Sep 15, 10:28.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

9. Re: sad Sep 15, 2005, 01:17 tron

Just because it doesn't actively hurt anyone doesn't make it right.

i don't think that has anything to do with what i was saying.

Religion is tyranny

really? i think it is freedom. i'm Christian, and because of my belief i find myself to be totally free from political tyranny, worldly entrapments, and dictitorial mindsets.

religion may appear to be tyranny to you, but it certainly is not so to a great many people.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

6. sad Sep 14, 2005, 22:32 tron

violates school children's right to be "free from a coercive requirement to affirm God."

yep - that pledge of allegiance sure is coercive. heck, you couldn't be an aetheist even if you wanted to if you had to say the 'pledge' in school!

maybe the schools themselves should be unconstitutional. i mean, they coersively force you to believe in a great many things that can be construed as being merely opinion.

i want my childrren to be free to create their own realities free from the contraints of any coersive adult influences.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

4. Re: No subject Sep 14, 2005, 22:26 tron

I don't even know what I'm supposed to be aiming at.

try 100% power, 75% angle - that gets him.

but yeah, this game sucks and it's not clear what you are supposed to be doing.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: McDonalds Aug 14, 2005, 19:17 tron

I still think that this is a better indication of McDonalds' healthiness as a whole.

well, i agree with this quote from the article:
People are responsible for what they eat, she said, not restaurants

i mean, the idea of mcdonald's turning into a health food restaurant is ridiculous. i go to mcdonalds and burger king if and when i want to eat junk food that is delicious, but terrible for me. i go there to indulge. when i want to eat healthy, i eat elsewhere, or better yet, cook for myself.

targeting fast food and blaming them for the personal choices of individuals just forces mcdonalds to try to become something that they are not.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

845 Comments. 43 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo