Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for walter westinghouse

Real Name walter westinghouse   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname tron
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description a blue, glowing, computer-simulated entity
Homepage http://www.3dgamersedge.com
Signed On Dec 5, 2002, 04:35
Total Comments 845 (Graduate)
User ID 15445

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Game Reviews
1. lousy journalism Dec 18, 2005, 19:13 tron

from the Serious Sam 2 review:

Yeah, it's still "Serious Sam", however, that sequel feels a bit different. It's fairly hard to describe it...

is this for real? Gameguru Mania will never be added to my bookmarks, based on this "review" alone.

btw, SS2 = best FPS co-op game ever.

- tron -
---
"tron is big and tron is full of action... it's a hell of a ride!"
-from the Tron 2.0 box
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: vocabulary Dec 17, 2005, 20:51 tron

You know it's a good OotB when the word "avuncular" is used ...

i have to wonder... when, where, and why did someone decide that the word "avuncular" was needed?

and, are there other words i'm unaware of that cover other types of relatives? "avauntular"? "avgreatgrampaular"?

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

News Comments > Evening Q&As
3. commodore 64 Dec 10, 2005, 03:31 tron

that "little computer people" comment Heather made reminded me of a game i had on my C64, it was actually called "Little Computer People" and was the first ever "sims" style game that i am aware of...

if you've never heard of it, read this:
http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/features/pc/unsung_heroes/sec2_02.html
and be amazed at what was available 20 years ago.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

News Comments > Prey Movie
5. prey Nov 29, 2005, 11:06 tron

they have renamed the game: Prey Forever.

it will be released when it's done.

This comment was edited on Nov 29, 11:06.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

News Comments > Quake 4 Demo
98. Re: Well Nov 24, 2005, 14:26 tron

THREADED POSTING FOR THE WIN!!!!!!!111

you're mental!

but you're also right... i need to make the switch...

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

96. Re: Well Nov 24, 2005, 14:13 tron

i see that no one has been able to come up with anything new that Quake 1, 2, or 3 brought to gaming - except for graphics advances.

i was asking about gamplay advances... all of these games are basically just DOOM in different clothes.

i'm also baffled by folks like ray and meatfarts who spend so much time trying to convince everyone that Q4 sucks. there are tons of games out there that i do not like - but i never bother to go around trying to convince anyone else of my opinions. why would i? i don't have an agenda...

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

News Comments > Quake 4 Demo Glitch
11. Re: No subject Nov 24, 2005, 14:03 tron

c'mon Enahs! that's not the spirit we're looking for!

you are supposed to whine and complain that the world isn't exactly the way you want it to be, and then point out all the flaws in everything. bitch about how all corporations are liars and thieves, and then point out that Q4 isn't the best game in the entire known universe that ever was or ever wil be released! hopefully you would also have a bullet list proving that your opinions are supreme facts.

man, if you start being calm and rational... it might lead to total chaos!

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

65. Re: Holy shit Nov 24, 2005, 10:35 tron

the franchise has always managed to bring something new to the games table before.

what did Quake 1, 2 and 3 bring to the table that was new???

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

News Comments > Steam Plans
30. new game Nov 13, 2005, 03:02 tron

could it be SiN episodes?  
- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

News Comments > Half-Life 2: Aftermath Delayed
10. Re: No subject Nov 10, 2005, 19:03 tron

The update which contains the correct spelling has been delayed.

true, but you can download it next month for $10.99

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

4. No subject Nov 8, 2005, 11:30 tron

Watching umps enforce their personal opinion of the strike zone, however, is maddening

yep. and i love it when the players start to question the zone the ump invents - and the ump will just get belligerent and make even more ridiculous calls.

i agree 100% that instant replay doesn't belong in the game... but i am not sold on electronic ball & strike judges. maybe they should start training the umps better, forcing them to call balls & strikes in a simulated game, and if they don't score high enough (their calls would be compared to the elcetronic calls) they don't get to ump.

- tron -
---
-from the Tron 2.0 box

News Comments > Burn Announced
26. extended Burn feature list Nov 7, 2005, 22:30 tron

• on screen response to keyboard input

• real-time looking with mouse hand control

• simulated reality environments

• advanced math engine adds deathmatch score

• 3D cardboard folding game box technology

• audio enhancement via volume control

• sound with length, width, and height

• up to millions of different colored pixels simultaneously

• vertexes, polygons, textures, surfaces, models, and fog

• realistic game manual

• This comment was edited on Nov 7, 22:31.

- tron -
    ---
    -from the Tron 2.0 box

2. The DOOM Movie Oct 23, 2005, 11:50 tron

is rubbish. it had a few decent moments, but it suffered from budget constraints, lame writing, and too many diversions from the story in the actual games.

save your cash folks, and remember: it is 2 hours of your life you'll never get back, but wish you could.

you have been warned.

- tron -
    ---
    -from the Tron 2.0 box

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Quake 4
    199. Re: No subject Oct 19, 2005, 22:12 tron

whoa! i think you took my post in the wrong way. i'm not even sure what you mean about referencing "people talking out of their asses" - i never said anything like that... i just don't see how you can evaluate gameplay that you have never experienced.

i honestly had no opinion of the *gameplay* before i bought it. i bought it merely because it was the sequel to Q2 which i liked a lot. i would have bought it even if it got nothing but terrible previews/reviews. because i would have had to see for myself...

i expected it to be at least as good as other Raven titles, which are all decent games that i enjoy playing. but i didn't listen to much of the hype. i didn't read any previews. i don't like to go into a game with a lot of preconceived notions (especially comparisons). i mean, i knew it was a continuation of Q2 (which i loved) and i knew it was an FPS (which i enjoy) and that it is developed by Raven (i like other work they have done) and produced by id (i like their work too). so yeah, i guess you can say that i had a good idea what to expect. but i didn't assume any specifics. in fact, the game has turned out to be better than i had anticipated. it's no Katamari Damacy, but it is fun in the same way that a popcorn action movie is fun.

i went to see the Spiderman movie because i liked the X-Men movie. i don't expect them to be the same. i just figure that, hey, i liked one comic book movie - maybe i'll enjoy another one. same with music. i sometimes buy an album just because it is in a genre i enjoy. i often get burned - but at least i took a chance, and sometimes i find new music that i really like.

i'm sure it is possible that someone may think this game plays like Doom 3. but i don't know how. and i don't see how anyone can have an opinion of gameplay based on screenshots. and i think that any reviewer who says this game plays like D3 is full of beans.

- tron -
    ---
    -from the Tron 2.0 box

173. Re: Ray Oct 19, 2005, 15:42 tron

You meant 4? If D3 actually took you 40, I'd suggest spending more time on basic skills, lead reading and writing.

very funny. yeah, it took me 40 hours. however, i spent time talking to every person, reading every PDA, finding and unlocking every cabinet, exploring everything, searching out every secret area, ect... i took my time playing, because i enjoyed it and i wanted i to last. i almost never used the "run" function.

it's also pretty funny that you say i need "basic skills, lead reading and writing". that doesn't even make any sense.

i hope it made you feel good about yourself to try and ridicule me. have a nice day!

This comment was edited on Oct 19, 15:45.

- tron -
    ---
    -from the Tron 2.0 box

165. Re: No subject Oct 19, 2005, 14:09 tron

it screams out Doom 3 to me.

but it isn't. it's not even close. and lets be honest, ray, you haven't even played the game so how can you know?

like i said earlier, this game plays like Q2 with CoD and D3 mixed in - but even so it is still its own distinct entity.

but, i had better get more than 10 hours out of it, or i'll be a bit pissed. D3 took 40 hours for me to play through.

- tron -
    ---
    -from the Tron 2.0 box

151. Re: No subject Oct 19, 2005, 11:19 tron

I am afraid this is the exact reason why they decided to put out a title without much effort (reskin Doom). The reviews thus far are 50/50.

not really, it has an 82 on metacritic right now. it would be quite a bit lower if it was getting mixed reviews. so far every review i have seen gives it over 80, except for PCLamer - who went for shock-value instead of offering an objective appraisal.

- tron -
    ---
    -from the Tron 2.0 box

114. quick impressions Oct 18, 2005, 23:53 tron

***no major spoilers in this post***

D3 + Q2 + CoD is an accurate description. i'm 5 or 6 levels in and so far it feels like "rock -n- roll Doom 3", with the chaos of war going on all around you.

the graphics are every bit as good as D3, yet it runs much smoother. i'm getting more FPS than in D3. i'm very early in the game, but already experienced "wow" moments when i saw my ship land, and witnessed the aerial combat.

the main adjective to decribe gameplay so far is *fun*. it moves along very quickly, the action is very frantic (Q2ish in pace), and the squad mates urging you on adds tension and urgency.

it is odd that the blaster and machine gun have a flashlight mounted to them, but the shotgun doesn't...

the weapon sounds are fantastic. the machine gun sounds very crisp and powerful, the blaster has much more "punch" than the Q2 blaster, and the shotgun sounds great. surprising to me is the lack of the "grunt" sound when you jump. that has been in Quake 1 - Quake 3 as well as D3... i don't miss it though - i always thought it sounded a bit funny, especially when you jump repeatedly. the voice acting is solid. not as good as HL2, but as good or better than in D3.

there are "secret" areas, and you are rewarded for exploring the maps throughly.

i wasn't really expecting much from this game. just another version of D3, is what i figured it would be. however, i'm so far very pleased that the gameplay has more in common with Q2 than with D3.

if you are looking for bold innovation, a story on par with "The Matrix", oscar-worthy voice acting, or "the next big thing" - then you will be disappointed.

however, if you are looking for a fast and frantic FPS with great graphics and solid production values, then you're in for a pleasant surprise. if you enjoyed Q2 or D3, then you should love this game.

This comment was edited on Oct 19, 00:05.

- tron -
    ---
    -from the Tron 2.0 box

News Comments > Spielberg Does Games
    23. hmmm Oct 14, 2005, 13:40 tron

if we're lucky he'll bring back all the magic and great gaming that was present in the classic Atari 2600 hit: E.T.  
    - tron -
    ---
    -from the Tron 2.0 box

News Comments > etc.
    5. Re: Oh come on guys Oct 13, 2005, 11:44 tron

I think I will wait for it to come out on video. And then not rent it.

i got nothing to add - but i just have to say, rist3903 - that is freakin hilarious!

- tron -
    ---
    -from the Tron 2.0 box

845 Comments. 43 pages. Viewing page 7.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo